PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog father/sons, brothers...

ledge
07-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Seems to have come up on another thread thought I would start one on players who are related in one way or another who have some sort of attachment to the dogs... If it hasnt been done before..
Start with a maybe little known one for the younger,
Terry and Garry Wheeler,brothers
Ted and Ted jnr Whitten plus Teds Brother Don
Dennis and Daryl Collins.

Heres one that goes way back
Dolly Aked, Allan Edwards,Allan Butch Edwards, Jake Edwards (Carlton) Shane Obree (Collingwood)
All are father son except Shane, cousin to Jake.
The obvious
Steve and Mitch Wallis
Tony and Tom Liberatore.
Would be interesting to see how many there are and how many we dont know of.

Dancin' Douggy
07-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Rod and Steve Macpherson come to mind.

Sockeye Salmon
07-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm a few short, but here goes. I've included a couple of this years draftees (and one obvious 2012 daftee as well).

B: Ryan Hargrave (father Steven 2 games), Ben Reid (father Bruce 86 games), Alex Rance (father Murray 40 games)

HB: Michael Talia (grandfather Harvey Stevens 72 games), Daniel Talia, Nathan Krakouer (uncle Phil 7 games)

C: Dan Hanneberry (father Matt 32 games), Mitch Wallis (father Steve 261 games), Lachlan Hunter (father Mark 110 games)

HF: Ryan O'Keefe (grandfather Lionel Ryan 32 games), Sam Reid, Andrew Krakouer (uncle Phil 7 games)

FOR: Billie Smedts (father Albie 51 games), Jackson Coleman (father Galaxy 69 games), XXX

Ruck: Ayce Cordy (father Brian 124 games), Tom Liberatore (father Tony 289 games), Willie Wheeler (father Garry 5 games)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Was Luke Darcy, a father son pick, his old man was David Darcy wasn't he?

Sockeye Salmon
07-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Correct

Greystache
07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
We also had David Round

bornadog
07-10-2011, 05:54 PM

David was a champion fullback and also represented Victoria. Was rarely beaten on all the great full fowards.

always right
07-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm a few short, but here goes. I've included a couple of this years draftees (and one obvious 2012 daftee as well).

B: Ryan Hargrave (father Steven 2 games), Ben Reid (father Bruce 86 games), Alex Rance (father Murray 40 games)

HB: Michael Talia (grandfather Harvey Stevens 72 games), Daniel Talia, Nathan Krakouer (uncle Phil 7 games)

C: Dan Hanneberry (father Matt 32 games), Mitch Wallis (father Steve 261 games), Lachlan Hunter (father Mark 110 games)

HF: Ryan O'Keefe (grandfather Lionel Ryan 32 games), Sam Reid, Andrew Krakouer (uncle Phil 7 games)

FOR: Billie Smedts (father Albie 51 games), Jackson Coleman (father Galaxy 69 games), XXX

Ruck: Ayce Cordy (father Brian 124 games), Tom Liberatore (father Tony 289 games), Willie Wheeler (father Garry 5 games)

Don't forget Bruce Reid's brother...John Reid.

Sockeye Salmon
07-10-2011, 06:17 PM

It would have been much better if John was their father rather than Bruce. John played the required 100 games.

Ayce Cordy had a few uncles play as well.

bornadog
07-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Listening to Bruce recently he was given the flick after 86 games. I thought he went all right at the time but the MC didn't think so. What a bloody mistake that was.

bornadog
07-10-2011, 06:21 PM
It would have been much better if John was their father rather than Bruce. John played the required 100 games.

Ayce Cordy had a few uncles play as well.

Neil was one of the best.

ledge
07-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Ross Abbey and his father.

Raw Toast
07-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Glorious. Thanks for this SS.

LostDoggy
07-10-2011, 09:30 PM
What about the Father/sons Aaron Sandilands, Courtney Dempsey, Tom Hawkins, Mitch Thorpe, Jay Schultz, Josh Kennedy, Sam Power, Andrew Welsh and Paul Salmon

Is John Jillard Julia's father?

AndrewP6
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
What about the Father/sons Aaron Sandilands, Courtney Dempsey, Tom Hawkins, Mitch Thorpe, Jay Schultz, Josh Kennedy, Sam Power, Andrew Welsh and Paul Salmon

Different surname, don't think so!

LostDoggy
07-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Different surname, don't think so!

Close enough.

azabob
07-10-2011, 10:57 PM

WCE or Swans Josh Kennedy?;) What about Luke Power?

Bulldog4life
08-10-2011, 08:46 PM

Their father also played for Footscray too.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Seems to have come up on another thread thought I would start one on players who are related in one way or another who have some sort of attachment to the dogs... If it hasnt been done before..
Start with a maybe little known one for the younger,
Terry and Garry Wheeler,brothers
Ted and Ted jnr Whitten plus Teds Brother Don
Dennis and Daryl Collins.

Heres one that goes way back
Dolly Aked, Allan Edwards,Allan Butch Edwards, Jake Edwards (Carlton) Shane Obree (Collingwood)
All are father son except Shane, cousin to Jake.
The obvious
Steve and Mitch Wallis
Tony and Tom Liberatore.
Would be interesting to see how many there are and how many we dont know of.

The Collins brothers, Dennis and Daryl 's father Jack played with Fitzroy and Essendon.
The father of brothers, Jack, Alan and Bob Collins, also played with Essendon.
Dick Wearmouth who was an outstanding wingman for the Bulldogs had his son Ron represent Collingwood. Noel Dickson who polayed with the Bulldogs was the brother of Hawthorn's Des Dickson. John Kerr who was first rover in the Bulldogs '54 premiership also had his brother Barrie play for the Bulldogs. John Schultz younger brother Robert played with the Bulldogs. Bob Spargo, Snr. and his two sons Bob and Ricky played with the Bulldogs. Brothers Graeme and Barry Ion were both members of our '61 Grand Final team. Other brothers to represent the club were Brian and Doug Prior. Father and son Ray and Darren Baxter represented the Bulldogs. George Tribe who played cricket for Australia and his brother Tom both played for the club.Alan and Wally Trusler were other brothers who played.Our first Brownlow Medallist Norman Ware had his nephew Bob Ware play also with the Bulldogs.Don Ross, centreman in our '54 premiership team also had his son Paul represent the club.

BulldogBelle
13-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Alex Rance son of Murray

Pembleton
18-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Some brothers:

Jamie Grant (played for us).

Paul Wynd (played for North).

Paul Atkins (played for the Swans).

LostDoggy
19-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Was Anthony Darcy a relation to David/Luke?

The Coon Dog
19-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Was Anthony Darcy a relation to David/Luke?

No he wasn't.

petrags36
23-10-2011, 03:59 AM
Has anyone mentioned,Jamie and Chris grant.

Bulldog4life
23-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Has anyone mentioned,Jamie and Chris grant.

When you read the whole thread I think you'll find that they have been mentioned.

OLD SCRAGGer
23-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Neil was one of the best.

A few weeks ago while I was at Pound Cafe, Neil Cordy arrived with his 2 sons along with Ayce, took a visit to Elite Traing Centre, maybe another Cordy will soon be running around at Whitten Oval :)

Mofra
24-10-2011, 06:05 PM
A few weeks ago while I was at Pound Cafe, Neil Cordy arrived with his 2 sons along with Ayce, took a visit to Elite Traing Centre, maybe another Cordy will soon be running around at Whitten Oval :)
Zane?

Does anyone know how he's tracking? 14-15 yo from memory.

Greystache
24-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Steve Wallis has another too. Apparently a more naturally gifted player than Mitch but questions over whether he really wants to play AFL. Does anyone know anymore about him?

ledge
24-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Thomas Liberatore has a younger brother whos a gun apparently.

soupman
25-10-2011, 12:03 PM

I thought Thomas was the younger brother? Pretty sure he has an older brother Chris.

BulldogBelle
25-10-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought Thomas was the younger brother? Pretty sure he has an older brother Chris.

Pretty sure Tom is the older brother

At one of our games this season I saw Tony, a younger son, and I'm assuming tony's mum cheering on Tom

Wonder if the 2nd Libertore son will be Tony or Tom's height?

The Coon Dog
25-10-2011, 12:12 PM

You could be waiting a while, Oliver only played under 11's this season.

soupman
25-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I guess I was wrong (but also slightly correct). There is a third brother Oliver then.

Desipura
25-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I guess I was wrong (but also slightly correct). There is a third brother Oliver then.
Yes there is, he played against a work colleagues son who played for Westbourne. This guy seems to think his son is the best player ever and beat Oliver comprehensively (not too sure I believe him though)

Twodogs
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
You could be waiting a while, Oliver only played under 11's this season.

Yes there is, he played against a work colleagues son who played for Westbourne. This guy seems to think his son is the best player ever and beat Oliver comprehensively (not too sure I believe him though)

I saw Oliver play a game for a WRFL junior club while I was waiting for my sons U/13 game to start last year (2010). I saw a kid run into the middle of a pack about 40 metres from goal, take a flukey bounce around shoulder height, run out of the front of the pack holding the ball against his left shoulder before kicking the ball back over his shoulder without turning around and hit his teammate on the chest in the goalsquare. The piece of play had it all. Instinct, balance, courage, skill, vision and audacity. I watched for a while longer and the kid was clearly head and tail above everyone on the ground.

I asked one of the adults from his team if the Bulldogs knew this kid existed. He said "I know they do. He's Libba's youngest son Oliver"

bornadog
25-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Bump

Is Zane Cordy ready to be picked this up coming draft?

G-Mo77
25-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Bump

Is Zane Cordy ready to be picked this up coming draft?

I think it's the following draft.

Mofra
25-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I saw Oliver play a game for a WRFL junior club while I was waiting for my sons U/13 game to start last year (2010). I saw a kid run into the middle of a pack about 40 metres from goal, take a flukey bounce around shoulder height, run out of the front of the pack holding the ball against his left shoulder before kicking the ball back over his shoulder without turning around and hit his teammate on the chest in the goalsquare. The piece of play had it all. Instinct, balance, courage, skill, vision and audacity. I watched for a while longer and the kid was clearly head and tail above everyone on the ground.

I asked one of the adults from his team if the Bulldogs knew this kid existed. He said "I know they do. He's Libba's youngest son Oliver"
I'd forgotten about this post - some real hope in the doom & gloom of 2012

Rance Fan
25-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I heard Romero has a gun son!

Not sure but Peter Foster have a son who is coming thru also?

I assume no go for Beasleys son?

bornadog
25-07-2012, 02:18 PM
I heard Romero has a gun son!

Not sure but Peter Foster have a son who is coming thru also?

I assume no go for Beasleys son?

Last we heard on Beasleys son was he was more interested in Rowing, but that could have changed.

Romero played 109 games for North and 122 for the Dogs, who gets preference?

Greystache
25-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Last we heard on Beasleys son was he was more interested in Rowing, but that could have changed.

Romero played 109 games for North and 122 for the Dogs, who gets preference?

It's the kid's choice, but I'd be surprised if it were up to Jose if there were even a decision to be made. My understanding was he loved his time at the Dogs and holds less than warm feelings towards Norf.

BulldogBelle
25-07-2012, 09:33 PM
It's the kid's choice, but I'd be surprised if it were up to Jose if there were even a decision to be made. My understanding was he loved his time at the Dogs and holds less than warm feelings towards Norf.

I saw Jose and his son at Bulldogs games in 2010 or so - they were kicking the footy together in the corridors at Etihad

Libba's sons, Jose's son - I remember Dimma mentioning he had a son who'd he love to see running around in the tri colours also - return of the Wog squad! A very exciting thought!

Remi Moses
26-07-2012, 02:56 AM

He had a major beef with Air Supply Lookalike Pagan.

bornadog
30-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Sam Reid, Ryan O'Keefe and Daniel Hannebury - all now with a premiership, something their fathers playing at the dogs couldn't achieve - make you mad.

Bulldog4life
30-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Sam Reid, Ryan O'Keefe and Daniel Hannebury - all now with a premiership, something their fathers playing at the dogs couldn't achieve - make you mad.

I know his grandfather played with us but didn't know his father did.

bornadog
30-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I know his grandfather played with us but didn't know his father did.

Just 3 games.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2013, 09:16 PM
What happened to Will Beasley. Was at the Falcons. 194cm, 102kg.

I've read he quit footy... We're we not interested or couldn't we convince him to play on??

chef
05-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Didn't he choose rowing over footy.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Didn't he choose rowing over footy.
That's what I read, but I was curious if anyone knew whether we were keen on him and couldn't convince him, or whether we didn't try to get him.