PDA

View Full Version : Rules get a tweak

The Coon Dog
11-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Luke Holmesby - AFL Website - 11 October

THE ADVANTAGE and interchange rules implemented in 2011 will remain next year, however, there will be a slight amendment to the 'advantage rule' with more time allowed for an umpire to consider the actual advantage.

The AFL Commission approved a recommendation made on Monday to keep the two rules that were a constant topic of debate throughout the season.

The use of technology for scoring decisions - and rules surrounding length of games and interchange infringement penalties - will be addressed in a meeting in November.

In another minor tweak, an advantage will not be permitted for any free kick paid by an out-of-zone umpire to avoid confusion at centre bounces.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/124934/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
11-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I like how they say there are no rule changes but they are changing the interpretation. To me that's the same thing.

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 09:44 AM
If they just call them "tweaks" or "different interpretations", they can try to avoid the media shitstorm that erupts every time they make a rule change.

The Coon Dog
27-10-2011, 08:46 AM
AFL closes in on goal-line technology for 2012
Caroline Wilson - The Age - 27 October

THE AFL looks certain to introduce new technology to prevent a repeat of Sharrod Wellingham's incorrectly awarded goal in the 2011 grand final, with a recommendation expected to be put to the commission before Christmas.

And the AFL is looking at further NAB Cup experimentation by awarding a ''double goal'' for a torpedo scored from outside 50 metres. :eek:

AFL football operations boss Adrian Anderson said the 12-point goal could prove a crowd-pleaser given the affection of football fans for the ''torp''. He said it was one of several pre-season proposals to go before the competition's executive in the coming month, including:

■Boundary and goal umpires allowed to pay obvious free kicks for holding and high contact.

■Ruckmen not permitted to make contact for boundary throw-ins and around-the-ground bounces.

■Free kicks not paid for last touch over the boundary but for last kick, handball or when a player walked the ball over the line.

■A different configuration of the eight-man interchange bench.

■Regular home-and-away rules for week four of the pre-season competition.

Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-closes-in-on-goalline-technology-for-2012-20111026-1mk65.html)

chef
27-10-2011, 09:05 AM
And the AFL is looking at further NAB Cup experimentation by awarding a ''double goal'' for a torpedo scored from outside 50 metres.

I actually don't mind this one.

GVGjr
27-10-2011, 09:18 AM
And the AFL is looking at further NAB Cup experimentation by awarding a ''double goal'' for a torpedo scored from outside 50 metres. :eek:

What a ridiculous decision. Experiments like Super goals and Double goals just cheapen the product. I understand that the NAB Cup needs points of difference to the Home and Away season but this is just a change for the sake of it.
No doubt KB will be on SEN this morning selling the notion that we need to bring the Torp back into the game and how much excitement this will bring but in reality it won't add anything to the game.

Would the NBA bring in a 4 point option for half court shots? Scoring should be consistent amongst any versions of AFL footy.

LostDoggy
27-10-2011, 09:30 AM
What about quadruple points for a drop kick outside the 50?:D

Topdog
27-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Surprised no one brought up this one

■Ruckmen not permitted to make contact for boundary throw-ins and around-the-ground bounces.

Contact sport?

bornadog
27-10-2011, 10:47 AM
What about quadruple points for a drop kick outside the 50?:D

Or 20 points for a place kick:D

I agree with GVGjr, its ridiculous the way the NAB cup is a place for rules committee to experiment with stupid things.

GVGjr
27-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Contact sport?

I saw that and just shook my head. Wrestling at throw ins can be a problem but essentially the no contact idea is an over reaction.

Maddog37
27-10-2011, 11:48 AM
The NAB cup is treated with contempt by the clubs and the spectacle suffers accordingly. The rule changes like super goal also cheapen the product when compared to home and away games.

Having said that I like the junk component of the NAB cup and reckon it should be viewed as twenty twenty cricket. A bit of fun but not test match quality.

soupman
27-10-2011, 12:13 PM

Contact sport?

Bizarre. Naitanui won't complain. Doesn't suit guys like Minson at all though.

Mofra
27-10-2011, 01:18 PM
This would be the single dumbest rule ever trialled/though of/considered in the history of Australian Rules Football.

I think the fans would hate this one almost as much as the ruckmen would.

bornadog
27-10-2011, 01:52 PM
This would be the single dumbest rule ever trialled/though of/considered in the history of Australian Rules Football.

I think the fans would hate this one almost as much as the ruckmen would.

There will be a free kick at every single bounce and throw it.

Go_Dogs
27-10-2011, 09:28 PM
The rules get more odd with each passing year.

I vote next year they bring in half court footy, 9 a side. You could have two games going at the same time and surely we'd win one of them! :rolleyes:

Greystache
27-10-2011, 09:41 PM
The rules get more odd with each passing year.

I vote next year they bring in half court footy, 9 a side. You could have two games going at the same time and surely we'd win one of them! :rolleyes:

Personally I'm sick of going to games at the MCG only for it to be windy and all the play to be on the other side of the ground. I think they should bring in two footy's, one played down on each side of the ground, and at the end of the game they can add up both scores to determine the result.

boydogs
27-10-2011, 09:52 PM
There will be a free kick at every single bounce and throw it.

If the ruckman make contact with each other, who gets the free?

bornadog
27-10-2011, 11:59 PM
If the ruckman make contact with each other, who gets the free?

Collingwood:D

hujsh
28-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Contact sport?

Eyes lit up when i read that rule. Does it mean they have to treat it like a center bounce now? Even that has contact involved so it's a very confusing rule

LostDoggy
28-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Or 20 points for a place kick:D

I agree with GVGjr, its ridiculous the way the NAB cup is a place for rules committee to experiment with stupid things.

Could be worse: they could experiment (more than they do already) during the season proper.

Mofra
28-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Personally I'm sick of going to games at the MCG only for it to be windy and all the play to be on the other side of the ground. I think they should bring in two footy's, one played down on each side of the ground, and at the end of the game they can add up both scores to determine the result.
Only if the players manage to hit a small orange square in their forward half.
Craig Willis would then walk onto the ground and announce "MULTI-BALL!!!!!"

hujsh
28-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Only if the players manage to hit a small orange square in their forward half.
Craig Willis would then walk onto the ground and announce "MULTI-BALL!!!!!"

Then we shout "Blern Blern Blern!" and Cappa rides out on a giant spider.

(I'd have used a clip and it'dve been funnier but Viacom are real assholes with the copyright and i couldn't find what i wanted)