PDA

View Full Version : Justin Sherman

GVGjr
18-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Last season Sherman was mainly used as a forward and I thought he had an inconsistent season. He only managed 14 games due to injury and suspension but we should be expecting more from him in 2012.

What position is he best suited to in our side?

lemmon
18-10-2011, 07:20 PM
High half forward for mine, lets him get up into the midfield and around the pill where he can use his pace but retains his danger around goals on the way through. Pigeonholing him as a deepish forward really doesnt let him use that explosive pace which is his main asset but hes not accountable enough to be a regular midfield rotation, a definite tweener.

Cyberdoggie
18-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Interesting one,

Didn't really get the ball anywhere near enough and showed very little defensive efforts.

That really limits his versatility.

He will need to improve or others will stay ahead of him

mjp
18-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't know enough about the Williamstown squad for 2012.

Dazza
18-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Half forward and maybe on the wing. He played some ok footy before the suspension/foot injury.

Has to work on a few things.

G-Mo77
18-10-2011, 07:58 PM
i don't know enough about the williamstown squad for 2012.

ouch. :)

1eyedog
18-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't know enough about the Williamstown squad for 2012.

So who is in front of him at Williamstown that should come in for him?

He needs to be able to use a combination of pace and his nous for goals, he should play high forward and attempt to get as many one-twos as he can at full speed. He's a one trick pony but his trick is a good one so he needs to be able to optimise it.

Dancin' Douggy
18-10-2011, 08:49 PM
He is an explosive, dynamic and enthusiastic headless chicken.

w3design
18-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I like Sherman and thought he was good at Brisbane but he disappointed this year. He needs to work harder for longer and get down and dirty more often. Saying that he not on his Pat Malone on that one.

DragzLS1
18-10-2011, 09:37 PM
He is a natural finisher but needs to show a bit more next season although I can see him being an important goal kicker for us if he steps up a bit next season

azabob
18-10-2011, 09:43 PM
He is an explosive, dynamic and enthusiastic headless chicken.

That is a fairly good description of him.

He would be a nice finisher in a good team, but if your team is struggling I can't see him being the one to get you back in the game.

Go_Dogs
18-10-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm still quite happy with what he can offer us. He's not the smartest footballer, but he's got speed and can kick a goal.

It's hard to define a clear role for him, but I'd like to see him able to use his speed further up the field to break lines, as well as having the ability to get deep forward, crumb a goal and provide some defensive pressure as his pace makes him along with Dahlhaus our best options in that sort of role.

I guess playing as a "half forward" is the shot. Between him, Tutt and Dahlhaus we should be a consistently quicker side next year.

The Underdog
18-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm still quite happy with what he can offer us. He's not the smartest footballer, but he's got speed and can kick a goal.

It's hard to define a clear role for him, but I'd like to see him able to use his speed further up the field to break lines, as well as having the ability to get deep forward, crumb a goal and provide some defensive pressure as his pace makes him along with Dahlhaus our best options in that sort of role.

I guess playing as a "half forward" is the shot. Between him, Tutt and Dahlhaus we should be a consistently quicker side next year.

It'd be nice if he'd put in more than a half hearted chase every now and then.

ReLoad
18-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Best goal celebrator we have. Elite skills in this department.

SonofScray
19-10-2011, 12:09 AM

:D Bingo. Worth the price of admission alone. If we saw 30+ over the top celebrations in 2012 he is doing very, very well.

jasopan
19-10-2011, 02:18 AM

Ahaha best post I've read today!
But doesn't sometimes kicking a clutch goal and celebrating with such enthusiasm swing the momentum around in a game (Hooper in his debut v Sydney)? :D

stefoid
19-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I think hell be allright.

GVGjr
19-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I think hell be allright.

In what position?

Maddog37
19-10-2011, 10:04 AM

I actually think Vez has him covered in that area. Imagine the two of them kicking 5 each in the same game! It would feel like carnivale:D

Grantysghost
19-10-2011, 10:08 AM
I think he will have to really improve his defensive abilities, it seems these days the game has past you by without them (see Josh Hill), however i think he could be valuable swapping forward/midfield using his pace at clearances especially with Cooneys knee problems. I actually dont like him having too many shots at goal seems to try to kick them along the ground a large percentage of the time and appears a bit rushed even when he has time. I seem to recall him running through the midfield at the Gabba for the Lions?

Has taken the mantle from Nathan Eagleton as best celebrator, before him Bubba!

the banker
19-10-2011, 10:09 AM
High half forward through the mid. We need 25+ goals from him next year. I think he is important finisher for us.

1eyedog
19-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I think he will have to really improve his defensive abilities, it seems these days the game has past you by without them (see Josh Hill), however i think he could be valuable swapping forward/midfield using his pace at clearances especially with Cooneys knee problems. I actually dont like him having too many shots at goal seems to try to kick them along the ground a large percentage of the time and appears a bit rushed even when he has time. I seem to recall him running through the midfield at the Gabba for the Lions?

Has taken the mantle from Nathan Eagleton as best celebrator, before him Bubba!

If Sherman is kicking goals and receiving well I don't care how many tackles he lays. He's not too bad in a contested situation (one on one either) he just can't stick a tackle. He's a strong guy so it is obvioulsy a mental issue or Eade just said to him to play to your strengths. Unlike Josh Hill Sherman always looks dangerous in the forward line so if he can produce 25+ goals for us next year and play an effective link up role through high half forward I don't think the amount of tackles he lays or his defensive pressure are going to be issues for him. He has the X-factor about him.

Still, Bmac looks like a hard nut so he may demand more of him, I wonder how Justin will respond to that next season.

LostDoggy
19-10-2011, 11:31 AM
where he can use his pace....explosive pace which is his main asset

he's got speed.....I'd like to see him able to use his speed... Between him, Tutt and Dahlhaus we should be a consistently quicker side next year.

using his pace

I see quotes like these all the time, but I'm yet to see this "pace" everyone keeps talking about? I know he's not slow but it seemed to me, more often than not this year, he was barely getting his kick away before his opponent ran him down? It actually frustrated me that he couldn't 'burn off' hardly anyone.

1eyedog
19-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I see quotes like these all the time, but I'm yet to see this "pace" everyone keeps talking about? I know he's not slow but it seemed to me, more often than not this year, he was barely getting his kick away before his opponent ran him down? It actually frustrated me that he couldn't 'burn off' hardly anyone.

He has genuine pace but given his waddle-like action I think he struggles off the mark over five metres. Your comment may also have something to do with getting himself into good position to receive and use his pace. He is exceptionally quick when he has an opportunity to receive on the run, he is almost unstoppable in this situation but he needs to be aware of how he fits into the team structure on the field and where best to place himself around other players. This is a positional issue I guess and harks back to GVGjrs original thread question.

stefoid
19-10-2011, 12:15 PM
In what position?

I like him as a forward closer to goal, particularly running back into space towards goal. His decision making isnt good enough to play through the midfield, but his speed and intensity make him dangerous up forward, closer to goal, where the requirement to set up play isnt as great.

Has to be taught to use his speed when we dont have the ball, however.

GVGjr
19-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I like him as a forward closer to goal, particularly running back into space towards goal. His decision making isnt good enough to play through the midfield, but his speed and intensity make him dangerous up forward, closer to goal, where the requirement to set up play isnt as great.

Has to be taught to use his speed when we dont have the ball, however.

Some good points you have raised but I think that spot might be filled by Giansiracusa and maybe Veszpremi. I just feel as though they might use him on a wing or even a half back if they use Murphy forward.

We got him for his running capacity and I don't think we are playing to his strengths as a deep forward pocket. Probably high half forward might be his best spot.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Some good points you have raised but I think that spot might be filled by Giansiracusa and maybe Veszpremi. I just feel as though they might use him on a wing or even a half back if they use Murphy forward.

We got him for his running capacity and I don't think we are playing to his strengths as a deep forward pocket. Probably high half forward might be his best spot.

Sherman didn't really impress as a 100 games plus AFL footballer in his initial year at the Bulldogs. I would think that Dahlhaus, Tutt and DJ all look better options going forward. He has little skills on his non-preferred side. Would also need to toughen up under BMcC who will be looking for a more robust combination.
We can ill afford to move Murphy from defence given how shaky this division looked last year.

ledge
19-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Sherman didn't really impress as a 100 games plus AFL footballer in his initial year at the Bulldogs. I would think that Dahlhaus, Tutt and DJ all look better options going forward. He has little skills on his non-preferred side. Would also need to toughen up under BMcC who will be looking for a more robust combination.
We can ill afford to move Murphy from defence given how shaky this division looked last year.

I actually thought he was starting to fit in until he got suspended, hurt him a lot being a regular.
I agree he is better for us on a wing , needs room to use his speed and break, the way the press is now he doesnt get much room deeper forward.

bornadog
19-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I thought he did quiet well this year in his 14 games and his goal contribution at 28 was one of the higher coming in at 6th for us, even with 8 less games than most.

I would like to see him more in the midfield and resting up forward and using his pace to advantage.

always right
19-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Funny....I didn't see Dahlhaus, Tutt or DJ display any skills on their non-preferred side.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Funny....I didn't see Dahlhaus, Tutt or DJ display any skills on their non-preferred side.

You may well be right but given Sherman's experience and supposed skills I guess you would probably expect more.

stefoid
19-10-2011, 02:54 PM

I dont think anyone gets away with not running these days, forward pocket or otherwise. I just prefer that players who make better decisions play further up the ground so they can set up play - Guido for instance. Vezpremi I dont know anything about.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-10-2011, 01:39 AM
I thought his year was OK, but derailed after the Gold Coast game.

He's not a fan favourite to say the least, but personally I think he's important for us moving forward. He's got a lot more to offer. Agree the 'high half forward' is his best spot, as he's able to burn his oppoenents off by running back to goal.

Happy Days
20-10-2011, 03:06 AM

I think Sherman can very much play this role with Gia in the team but not Vez; reason being is that Sherman is the antithesis of Gia - Gia is slower, Sherman is quick, Gia (before this season anyway) was much more the architect of forward 50 entries and setting up scores, Sherman is much more of a finisher, etc. I don't think that they touch the same bases.

Vez, however, is very similar to Sherman in the sense that he is a kick-first, hungry player that would play the position much thesame way and offer us nothing different.

All irrelevant to my view anyway; Sherman played his best footy for the Lions as a highly outside wingman, lets try playing him there?

jeemak
21-10-2011, 01:52 AM
^Agree that Sherman would be used better as an outside winger that floats forward, but it's pretty hard to play him in that role when your team is rebuilding and you have to keep the floggings to a minimum to appease the members/supporters.

If our side was very good at moving the ball forward from defense, which it currently isn't - due to the lack of effectiveness of Gilbee and Hargrave, the loss of Lake to injury and the complete loss of Harbrow - then our wingers and midfielders would be able to run free and benefit from the clean ball they'd be provided.

To me, if we're fairdinkum (best word ever) about having a rebuild for a challenge in two or three years then Sherman needs to be used in the wing and floating half forward role. Our defense needs to adapt to a new forward movement strategy, and the only way they can do this is through continuity of options up the ground. If our coaching staff view Sherman in two or three years as a wing and floating half forward then he needs to be played there immediately.

I thought he had an impact in a few games this year, he had a few multiple goal efforts and showed he can't be let off the leash up forward. His return for games played was better than expected for mine, especially considering he played a lot of football in a side that wasn't providing a lot of clean ball on the transition from defense.

Sherman seems to be a victim of the current mentality that states a forward is useless unless he gets a heap of tackles. The reality is, that forwards are best when kicking goals. If we move the ball forward from defense through a strong midfield that moves the ball quickly and cleanly then it will put our forwards in a position of advantage, and one in which if they don't win possession they'll have a good chance of trying to win it back.

LostDoggy
25-10-2011, 02:57 AM

The guy needs space, is at his best when he's facing forward, can run well especially in straight lines, and can kick very, very long. He's a modern day attacking half-back if I ever saw one. He'll never be a playmaker type that Gilbee or Murph now is, but with his direct running and long kicking he can help break or clear the lines -- basically Griffen-lite. We've missed dynamism in our half-back line other than Murph this year, with Harbrow gone, so Sherman will be a handy addition. If you rotate Coons through there as well to protect his knees suddenly we have the most creative and powerful half-back line in the league.

Defensively, with zoning now he doesn't probably have to be as strong overhead as he would otherwise have needed to be: as long as he has some positional discipline and gets a chop out he should be competitive enough. Don't worry about him not getting among the goals -- he'll be an attacking half-back, not a defensive one, and will burn off his opponent often enough coming from deep.

I think he either plays beside Murph or is Murph's swing partner -- ie. one of them plays back while the other plays forward, and they swap throughout the game.

LostDoggy
25-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Is he smart enough to buy into the game plan where everyone works soley for the team? The discipline that requires you be thinking ahead at every turn as to your positioning in relation to assisting your team mates and the myriad of play situations that require an ever changing team response. If he can't do this then he won't be in our best 22 for long, no matter how much speed he has.

stefoid
25-10-2011, 10:59 AM
The guy needs space, is at his best when he's facing forward, can run well especially in straight lines, and can kick very, very long. He's a modern day attacking half-back if I ever saw one. He'll never be a playmaker type that Gilbee or Murph now is, but with his direct running and long kicking he can help break or clear the lines -- basically Griffen-lite. We've missed dynamism in our half-back line other than Murph this year, with Harbrow gone, so Sherman will be a handy addition. If you rotate Coons through there as well to protect his knees suddenly we have the most creative and powerful half-back line in the league..

Richmond had a few of these types in their defence a few years ago - King when he played back and some others - get the ball, run like a madman until someone gets close and then bang it long to... nobody in particular. rebound. opposition shot on goal.

no thanks!

Even forward pockets these days find themselves regularly in the opposition's half of the ground, and when we get the ball, thats when I want to see someone like Sherman blitzing back into empty space towards goal to provide options for the ball carrier. (and Grant and Dalhaus for that matter)

these guys are our versions of Walker, Betts and Gartlet who get a lot of their scoring opportunities running back towards goal. Nothing worse than the backline winning the ball in that situation and having to hold it up because there are no options.

AndrewP6
25-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Is he smart enough to buy into the game plan where everyone works soley for the team? The discipline that requires you be thinking ahead at every turn as to your positioning in relation to assisting your team mates and the myriad of play situations that require an ever changing team response. If he can't do this then he won't be in our best 22 for long, no matter how much speed he has.

That question could be asked of quite a few... we're a way off that style of footy, methinks.

jeemak
25-10-2011, 11:59 PM

If he's good for a couple of goals a game as a running finisher then he will be.

I'm yet to see evidence that McCartney is a task master beyond what Rocket was, and I'm yet to see evidence that he won't show certain players lenience in areas where they can improve while taking into consideration things they do very well.

I can't think of a player on our list that is the complete package. As long as Sherman demonstrates he is willing to listen to the coaching staff and work his arse off to improve on his defficiencies then he'll get a game. If he doesn't do this, then as we improve his one or two goals a game complemented by a three goal effort here and there might not be enough.

Ghost Dog
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Nice big Colour photo of Sherman with his 'different' tatt in the Herald Bum.
Almost choked on my Foccacia with laughter when I saw it.
At least with a sleeve tattoo, all the stupid bits meld into one mish mash of colour.
As for the necklace, Classy bit of 'bling' ait??
Which one is worse. To have your own name, ( lol ) in big gothic letters on your arm ( Hoops ) or to have a big fat Gangsta cross wrapped around your body?

w3design
08-11-2011, 04:32 PM
We're traditionally a bogan club.

The boys are just embracing the club's roots.

Maddog37
08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Wonder what Granny thinks of it?

Jasper
08-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Nice big Colour photo of Sherman with his 'different' tatt in the Herald Bum.
Almost choked on my Foccacia with laughter when I saw it.
At least with a sleeve tattoo, all the stupid bits meld into one mish mash of colour.
As for the necklace, Classy bit of 'bling' ait??
Which one is worse. To have your own name, ( lol ) in big gothic letters on your arm ( Hoops ) or to have a big fat Gangsta cross wrapped around your body?

The best tattoo in world sports is Kenyon Martin of the NBA's Denver Nuggets.
He has a chinese symbol which he believed read "Warrior".
When he played against Chinese superstar Yao Ming, Ming whispered in his ear "I don't think that tattoo says what you think it says"

In fact, it's literal translation is "indecisive".
He also has big red lips on his neck.
Just a bizarre human being

Ghost Dog
08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
The best tattoo in world sports is Kenyon Martin of the NBA's Denver Nuggets.
He has a chinese symbol which he believed read "Warrior".
When he played against Chinese superstar Yao Ming, Ming whispered in his ear "I don't think that tattoo says what you think it says"

In fact, it's literal translation is "indecisive".
He also has big red lips on his neck.
Just a bizarre human being

Well as for Shermenator, If it makes him a better player, I'm all for it

Other alternatives for Mr Sherman included the warner brothers logo
http://www.11points.com/images/nbatattoos/carmeloanthony.jpg

Or ' The matrix' translated here into Chinese means 'Demon bird Mothball', or so I am told.
http://www.11points.com/images/nbatattoos/shawnmarion.jpg