PDA

View Full Version : AFL Butt Smellers

Scraggers
23-10-2011, 08:30 PM
No butts about it, Meat Loaf goes off

ROCK legend Meat Loaf has slammed AFL bosses as "jerks" and labelled critics of his undercooked performance at the Grand Final as "butt smellers".

In an explosive interview with The Sunday Times ahead of last night's Perth concert, the 64-year-old US singer vowed to convince other artists not to perform on the biggest day of the AFL calendar.

Meat Loaf, whose performance at the MCG was described by punters as the worst entertainment in AFL history, also warned he would take on the cyber bullies one by one who had labelled him everything from "a rissole" to "trainwrecktastic".

Rest of article and video link (http://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/no-butts-about-it-meat-loaf-goes-off/story-e6frg30c-1226173920740)

He he he ... made me laugh :D

hujsh
23-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Well if Meatloaf gives you career advice you better take it.

ledge
23-10-2011, 10:01 PM
He played the other day somewhere and a friend went and saw him, said he was just as bad. so nothing to do with AFL

The Doctor
23-10-2011, 10:20 PM
the kind of responses you would expect from a selfish primary school kid

AndrewP6
23-10-2011, 10:38 PM
No one expected an apologetic, gracious performer did they?

KT31
23-10-2011, 11:56 PM
He played the other day somewhere and a friend went and saw him, said he was just as bad. so nothing to do with AFL

The Lioness seen him several years ago on a previous tour and at the time, her girlfriend and herself agreed he was probably the worst performewr they had ever seen.

chef
24-10-2011, 08:14 AM
God, I hope he does convince other old has-beens not to perform at the Grand final. Any chance of getting someone relevant(and able to put on a show) to this day and age.

GVGjr
24-10-2011, 08:17 AM
God, I hope he does convince other old has-beens not to perform at the Grand final. Any chance of getting someone relevant(and able to put on a show) to this day and age.

Or an Australian. A mate of mine was suggesting Pete Murray's "Always a Winner" would have been the ideal song for the day.

ledge
24-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Hunters and Collectors!!

LostDoggy
24-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I have a stupid suggestion -- why don't we just do away with the mostly cringe-worthy curtain raiser nonsense (the cheesy middle-age choir singing the club theme songs were worse than Meatloaf by a factor of 1 million -- apologies if they were actually some charity or something) and just play the freaking game of football? I mean, have the national anthem, then play the damn game.

If we REALLY have to have something prior to the game, why not another game of football, like the TAC cup final or the VFL final or something?

Too logical by half?

Drunken Bum
24-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I have a stupid suggestion -- why don't we just do away with the mostly cringe-worthy curtain raiser nonsense (the cheesy middle-age choir singing the club theme songs were worse than Meatloaf by a factor of 1 million -- apologies if they were actually some charity or something) and just play the freaking game of football? I mean, have the national anthem, then play the damn game.

If we REALLY have to have something prior to the game, why not another game of football, like the TAC cup final or the VFL final or something?

Too logical by half?

I agree almost 100%

Except the VFA grand final, it is not fair to VFA supporters to make them have to try and find a ticket and at a much higher cost than they would normally pay. The AFL has done enough harm to the VFA already without taking their grand final away from them as well.

Hotdog60
24-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Too logical by half?

I can't stand the pre match entertainment, so American. It is a pity that there is no longer a reserve competion and under 19 comp. Three grand finals on the one day.

LostDoggy
24-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I agree almost 100%

Except the VFA grand final, it is not fair to VFA supporters to make them have to try and find a ticket and at a much higher cost than they would normally pay. The AFL has done enough harm to the VFA already without taking their grand final away from them as well.

Yeah, forget the VFL final -- you're absolutely right there. The rest of my post stands.

Remi Moses
24-10-2011, 10:04 PM

Too logical by half?

Way to logical! Tired of the rubbish they feel compelled to feed us.

westdog54
24-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I can't stand the pre match entertainment, so American. It is a pity that there is no longer a reserve competion and under 19 comp. Three grand finals on the one day.

The wierd thing is, for the Yanks its Half Time entertainment, not pregame

LostDoggy
24-10-2011, 11:06 PM
I don't mind the pre match stuff, it adds to the build up of the day for me. Having said that I did prefer the good old days where the junior GF, then reserves GF was played as a curtain raiser before the big one.
My biggest question is why persist with the 80s artists that haven't had a hit for the past 20yrs?

LostDoggy
25-10-2011, 02:42 AM
I don't mind the pre match stuff, it adds to the build up of the day for me. Having said that I did prefer the good old days where the junior GF, then reserves GF was played as a curtain raiser before the big one.
My biggest question is why persist with the 80s artists that haven't had a hit for the past 20yrs?

I think the AFL marketing data must show a large proportion of bogan supporters!

Even so, I think we can get better cheesy '80s artists. Bon Jovi and G&R come to mind. Heck, just get Slash and let him rip off a couple of guitar solos.

When the AFL have tried to go 'contemporary' they've picked so, so badly. Seriously, Michael Buble and footy? Human bloody Nature? Surely we have to have a 'Rock Only' (and especially 'no jazz') policy for the Grannie.

It's not that hard is it? Any Aussie mainstream rock band of the past 15 years ie. Powderfinger, Silverchair, Jet or Wolfmother would surely work in pumping up a crowd.

Remi Moses
25-10-2011, 05:10 AM
The NRL entertainment did the AFL on a break. ( has previously to)
Eskimo Joe were great, even Kelly Clarkson for the teeny bopper types.
Meatloaf, honestly he was modern in about 1977

soupman
25-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I think part of the reason the AFL does it is because it helps justifying selling their tickets at inflated prices because they are for an "entertainment event" and not just the footy.

I reckon there are heaps of bands, Australian and otherwise that would be alright. I'm a bit young for Meatloaf and thus didn't really recognise many of his songs but I'm sure you could find many an artist who would be keen to do it and is well known.

KT31
25-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I think part of the reason the AFL does it is because it helps justifying selling their tickets at inflated prices because they are for an "entertainment event" and not just the footy.

I reckon there are heaps of bands, Australian and otherwise that would be alright. I'm a bit young for Meatloaf and thus didn't really recognise many of his songs but I'm sure you could find many an artist who would be keen to do it and is well known.

I'm of the right era and the way he crucified those songs, I didn't recognise them.

LostDoggy
25-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm of the right era and the way he crucified those songs, I didn't recognise them.

Exactly what I though when I heard he was complaining that there wasn't a proper soundcheck etc.... it was HIS VOICE that was terrible, the way he sang those songs was horrible. We all said at the time "What is he doing? Just sing them how you normally would!!"

Also, there are plenty of good Australian rock bands - use them AFL!!

Greystache
25-10-2011, 02:23 PM
What's with the term "butt smellers"? I assume it's a reference to a scrum pack, so not only does he not prepare adequately for his shows, he doesn't even adequately prepare his insults! :o

Scraggers
25-10-2011, 06:49 PM
What's with the term "butt smellers"? I assume it's a reference to a scrum pack, so not only does he not prepare adequately for his shows, he doesn't even adequately prepare his insults! :o

On the extended video he said that the AFL were all like sheep just following everyone else ... lined up one after the other, smelling each others butts. Thus the insult butt smellers. :D

KT31
25-10-2011, 07:00 PM
On the extended video he said that the AFL were all like sheep just following everyone else ... lined up one after the other, smelling each others butts. Thus the insult butt smellers. :D

I have my issues with the AFL, but it can never be said that they are followers.
Have led all other codes in lots of areas.
Have the most high profile and best game in Australia.

cinder
25-10-2011, 09:16 PM
How about all that footage before the GF when he was practically hugging Andrew Dimetriou? His opinion changed fast

Dancin' Douggy
26-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Excuse me Mr Meatloaf, can you explain to us why the girl singing with you, on the same stage, with the same sound system, standing literally inches away from you, sang perfectly?

Twodogs
27-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Cold Chisel have reformed and are touring Australia at the moment. They would have been the perfect choice for the pre match act. I cant understand why the AFL didnt go with them.

Having said that I agree with the other posters ITT who say they'd prefer not to have a musical act as part of the pregame entertainment.

Dancin' Douggy
27-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I would honestly prefer no pre match entertainment.
But if we HAVE to have it I think an Australian act should be blanket policy.

Icehouse just reformed and have enough hits to play a strong set.
Cold Chisel would be awesome.
Hoodoo Gurus.
Mental as anything.
Paul Kelly,

I know these are all old bands and they aren't even remotely my favourite bands but they tick all the boxes. Hits, longevity, Australian.
There's 5 years booked.
And by then some younger bands will come through.

Twodogs
28-10-2011, 12:54 PM
How about This Is Serious Mum? TISM have plenty of AFL related stuff to fall back on.

They could start with I Rooted a Girl Who Rooted a Guy Who Rooted a Girl Who Rooted a Guy Who Rooted a Girl Who Rooted Shane Crawford then do The Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped and finish with (Jumpin' Jivin Jimmy (The Ghost) Joyce;

Do you remember Jimmy, Jimmy "The Ghost"?
Jesus, could that boy play. He was the most
When Tom Hafey saw him, he said "Now James,
"If you apply yourself, it will be nothing but fame"
And boy did he slam in his very first game
When he put Dubliners through his pace

Then against Hawthorn, Richmond where fast dyin'
He wrote Ulysses and saved us right on the siren
Though there's something timeless about how he'd breakout of a scrimmage
And his use of the dropkick and of symbol and image
On a cold wet day at the MCG, many a time
Would Jimmy change the course of fiction in our time

Though many found him complex, strange and aloof
When he took a mark, well, the fans just hit the roof
And then he'd turn slowly around with the ball and he'd say
"Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay”
He played over 400 games though some said "It was a mistake"
And then he'd kept going after and we'd say "Finnegans Wake"

I don't think so, we're out of our end, we're out of the five
So good on you Jimmy...Jimmy...Jimmy
Eat 'em alive

Or if TISM werent interested the AFL could get Spiderbait to sing Footy;

Footy day in Finley town
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
At two o'clock the siren sounds
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
Umpy throws the ball in play
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
(something)
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!

I like footy!
I like footy!
I love footy!
We love footy!
I like footy!
I love footy!
I like footy!
Kick that footy!
I like footy!
I like footy!
Ooo yeah footy!
We like footy!
I love my footy!
He likes footy!
I like footy!
I hate footy!

Big sticks standing tall and white
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
Make oh what a pretty sight
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
The smell of blood is in the air
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
(rival footy team) boys are scared
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!

I like footy!
I like footy!
I like footy!
We love footy!
I love footy!
He loves footy!
I like footy!
Kick that footy!
I like footy!
I like footy!
Ooo yeah footy!
He likes footy!
I love footy!
I like footy!
I like footy!
I hate footy!

(someone) takes a specca mark
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
Pay (something) pay (something)
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
Siren sounds we've won the day
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!
Grab a chick let's hit the hay
Yeah yeah yeah yeah!

I like footy!
I like footy!
I like footy!
We love footy!
I like footy!
I like footy!
Ooo yeah footy!
Kick that footy!
I like footy!
I like footy!
Kick me the footy!
He loves footy!
I like footy!
I like footy!
Love that footy!
Chuck a specca!

Sedat
28-10-2011, 02:17 PM
^ ^ ^ ^
TISM is a great suggestion Twodogs. They could also play some tracks from www.tism.wanker.com - 'There's gonna be sex tonight' references Wayne Carey, 'Whatareya' name drops James Hird, and of course there's 'I might be a c*** but I'm not a f****** c***' that mentions the Crows and Power.

azabob
28-10-2011, 09:24 PM
^ ^ ^ ^
TISM is a great suggestion Twodogs. They could also play some tracks from www.tism.wanker.com - 'There's gonna be sex tonight' references Wayne Carey, 'Whatareya' name drops James Hird, and of course there's 'I might be a c*** but I'm not a f****** c***' that mentions the Crows and Power.

What about I'm on the drug, I'm on the drug that Ben Cousins and many others took.

Then Ricky Nixon the stop sign.

strebla
29-10-2011, 09:35 PM
How about This Is Serious Mum? TISM have plenty of AFL related stuff to fall back on.

They could start with I Rooted a Girl Who Rooted a Guy Who Rooted a Girl Who Rooted a Guy Who Rooted a Girl Who Rooted Shane Crawford then do The Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped and finish with (Jumpin' Jivin Jimmy (The Ghost) Joyce;

Or if TISM werent interested the AFL could get Spiderbait to sing Footy;

Okay just knit picking but it was Jimmy Jess not Joyce.

DOG GOD
30-10-2011, 12:29 PM
They shouldve got Alice Cooper instead. He was in Australia at the time. A big rockin medley of "School Out", "Department of Youth", "Under My Wheels" and "No More Mr Nice Guy" wouldve gone down a treat :)

ledge
30-10-2011, 01:20 PM
They shouldve got Alice Cooper instead. He was in Australia at the time. A big rockin medley of "School Out", "Department of Youth", "Under My Wheels" and "No More Mr Nice Guy" wouldve gone down a treat :)

Legend!

DOG GOD
30-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Legend!

Absolutely, and still recording and touring the world.

ledge
30-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Knowing the AFL it will probably be BABBA or some cover band.

ledge
30-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Personally I would like Mark Seymour, Paul Kelly and maybe Ross Wilson, keep it Australian.

LostDoggy
30-10-2011, 02:37 PM
My vote is for The Living End!! :)

EasternWest
30-10-2011, 08:08 PM

You know, that just might've worked. A friend of mine has a pair of disabled sons who are 60's and 70's rock nuts. They've met Alice Cooper a few times, and he swears he is a terrific bloke.

My vote is for The Living End!! :)

I could live with this too. I don't regard myself as a Living End fan, but they've put out some good stuff.

Dancin' Douggy
31-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Legend!

I was watching Rage the other night and they had an Alice Cooper-a-thon.

Forgot how many great songs he released.

Department of Youth still gets my vote.

KT31
31-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Personally I would like Mark Seymour, Paul Kelly and maybe Ross Wilson, keep it Australian.

Saw Ross Wilson earlier in the year, voice still good.(unfortunately he sung to many new songs)
I'm sure both Seymour and Kelly have already performed at the GF.

Cyberdoggie
31-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Too logical by half?

How about the russian satellite thingy made of margarine containers, or the dippa, the sheedy, or the goal umpire twisslers.

I loved every one of them. Nothing makes me laugh more than AFL pre-game entertainment. :D

The only negative is that people from another country or state may look at it and think we are a bunch of amateurs but after a few beers, it makes for much hilarity.

I wonder who here didn't laugh when meatloaf the yeti belted out those dulcet tones.

Twodogs
31-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Okay just knit picking but it was Jimmy Jess not Joyce.

I know that but the reference is to James Joyce winning (or saving) a game by writing "Ulysses". TISM were very keen on mixing up their cultural icons.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2011, 04:16 PM
AFL have made some left field choices two years in a row. Lionel Richie is not the sort of thing you listen to to rev you up before a big game. But in a weird way, Meatloaf, Lionel, it's bad good!