PDA

View Full Version : Chris Grant to join Western Bulldogs board

Greystache
25-10-2011, 01:29 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/10/24/1226175/661950-chris-grant.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs legend Chris Grant is set to join the club's board.

After playing a key role in the appointment of new coach Brendan McCartney, Grant has agreed to a formal role as football director.

The move will have to be ratified at the club's annual meeting in December, but that is a done deal given Grant's popularity with the Bulldogs faithful.

Grant's function will be similar to the role played at Hawthorn by Jason Dunstall, another club legend who successfully juggles a football board position with commitments in the media.

The Dogs have essentially been without a football director since chief executive Simon Garlick left the board to cross to administration.

Grant joining the board is a major coup for president David Smorgon, who has faced major pressure from agitators for the first time in recent months.

Smorgon has another two years to run in what will be his final term as the top at Whitten Oval.

Grant comes into the mix as long-term board member Henry Jolson, QC, is retiring in December.

A former captain, Grant played 341 games for the Dogs in an 18-year career, but has had a low-key involvement with the club since retiring in 2007.

Grant was a commentator on ABC radio and had a role at Channel 10 this year.

Joining the selection panel that picked McCartney was a sign Grant was ready to step up to a key role at the Dogs.

Gaye Hamilton, chairman of SpiritWest advisory board and a Victoria University advisory board member, will stand again for her position as the Bulldogs' community director.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/chris-grant-to-join-western-bulldogs-board/story-e6frf9jf-1226175666982)

chef
25-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Great news:).

The Underdog
25-10-2011, 10:08 AM
I hope we followed a strong "process" in making this appointment

bornadog
25-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Chris has been very impressive in the media and knows his footy. Will be a great asset to the clubs board.

LostDoggy
25-10-2011, 02:30 PM
I hope we followed a strong "process" in making this appointment

Are you questioning whether Chris Grant is an appropriate person to be Director of Football?

The Doctor
25-10-2011, 02:58 PM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/10/24/1226175/661950-chris-grant.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs legend Chris Grant is set to join the club's board.

After playing a key role in the appointment of new coach Brendan McCartney, Grant has agreed to a formal role as football director.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/chris-grant-to-join-western-bulldogs-board/story-e6frf9jf-1226175666982)

his first priority should be to get a list manager in

his 2nd priority is finding out why it has taken so long to do anything about it

GVGjr
25-10-2011, 03:15 PM
his first priority should be to get a list manager in

his 2nd priority is finding out why it has taken so long to do anything about it

Agreed. It's seems filling the list managers position is either a low priority for us or we can't get close to getting the right person.

Is there a timing consideration that might be holding things up?

The Underdog
25-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Are you questioning whether Chris Grant is an appropriate person to be Director of Football?

Well, what do we really know about this Chris Grant? Who else applied for the position? Are we really just going to hand out important postions to favourite sons and pander to the "Bulldog faithful"? Was Mick Malthouse even asked if he was available?

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Chris Grant provides some badly needed football acumen on the Board and is a decided acquisition.
Important to have someone of his ilk that the coaching staff and players can have confidence in and relate to. This is a good appointment by the Club and adds respect to the position of Director of Football.

bornadog
25-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Well, what do we really know about this Chris Grant? Who else applied for the position? Are we really just going to hand out important postions to favourite sons and pander to the "Bulldog faithful"? Was Mick Malthouse even asked if he was available?

This is not a paid position, its voluntary and the board is recommending him for the role.

You can vote against him if you wish at the AGM, or you can stand for a position.

The Underdog
25-10-2011, 06:19 PM
This is not a paid position, its voluntary and the board is recommending him for the role.

You can vote against him if you wish at the AGM, or you can stand for a position.

He's never even been involved in a premiership, how will our coaching staff ever respect him?
Not only that but I remember that time he hit that poor Hawthorn player in 1997 and got off with only 1 week.

Rocco Jones
25-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Exactly. It's not like the Footy Manager role where you get paid, the footy director role basically goes to the guy who knows most about footy on the board. I think Grant is an outstanding option for the role, absolutely rapt.

Remi Moses
25-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Who's this Chris Grant?
How many games has he played?

w3design
25-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Great appointment i loved his work on the ABC and ONE great media performer total class act.

LostDoggy
25-10-2011, 09:06 PM

He's never even been involved in a premiership, how will our coaching staff ever respect him?
Not only that but I remember that time he hit that poor Hawthorn player in 1997 and got off with only 1 week.

No need to explain any further mate. You have stated your credentials.

The Underdog
25-10-2011, 09:12 PM
No need to explain any further mate. You have stated your credentials.

But I love explanation. Knowledge is powa.

Greystache
25-10-2011, 09:14 PM

Quite the mecenary too I believe, took the big money from a new start up club the moment it was offered to him.

He may or may not also be a passing aquaintence of James Fantasia :eek:

The Underdog
25-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Quite the mecenary too I believe, took the big money from a new start up club the moment it was offered to him.

He may or may not also be a passing aquaintence of James Fantasia :eek:

Bet he fires McCartney and hires Leon Cameron as his mate/coach. It's bloody nepotism gone mad.

1eyedog
25-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I know, even went back to CHB from FF because he got sick of taking hangers over defenders and kicking goals. Are we sure he's the right man for the job?

KT31
26-10-2011, 12:37 AM
But I love explanation. Knowledge is powa.

Then in this debate you seem to be a a windless sock !!
At the start I agreed and thought this may be more of an appointment to get Grant back to the club.
But unless you have been hacked your statements have been quite irrational and totally not deserved .

The Underdog
26-10-2011, 07:34 AM
At the start I agreed and thought this may be more of an appointment to get Grant back to the club.
But unless you have been hacked your statements have been quite irrational and totally not deserved .

Yeah but it was fun making them.

LostDoggy
26-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Woo Hoo! Welcome back Turtle - I'm sure he brings a wealth of footy knowledge - I think he played a couple of games, didn't he?:D

1eyedog
27-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Leave him alone, he's feeling all sensitive and lonely and wants to be noticed.

Remi Moses
27-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Off hand you have Thompson at Stkilda, Dunstall, Smart and a few others who are directors at their clubs. Great to have him on Board

The Underdog
28-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Leave him alone, he's feeling all sensitive and lonely and wants to be noticed.

Or maybe I was just amusing myself by making some specious arguments against why one of our club greats shouldn't be appointed, mainly because I'm bored by the off season. Sorry if I actually offended anyone.
I'm pretty sure I've rarely made any arguments here just to be noticed in near on 4 years, nor have I made too many assumptions about other people's feelings.

Welcome aboard Mr Grant.

1eyedog
29-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Or maybe I was just amusing myself by making some specious arguments against why one of our club greats shouldn't be appointed, mainly because I'm bored by the off season. Sorry if I actually offended anyone.
I'm pretty sure I've rarely made any arguments here just to be noticed in near on 4 years, nor have I made too many assumptions about other people's feelings.

Welcome aboard Mr Grant.

Yes yes amusing yourself on a public forum, I know you were taking the piss as evidenced in my earlier post so I decided to as well. There's no need to defend yourself now you were on a roll.

Eastdog
20-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Just saw on the channel 7 sports news Chris Grant to start tomorrow at the club as Director of football.

Good on him.

chef
20-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Great news.

azabob
20-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Just saw on the channel 7 sports news Chris Grant to start tomorrow at the club as Director of football.

Good on him.

Who previously had this role?

GVGjr
20-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Who previously had this role?

Hasn't Chris been the director of football since his appointment to the board of directors in 2011?

GVGjr
20-06-2016, 08:09 PM
I see now, it's a full time position.

Eastdog
20-06-2016, 08:18 PM
I've created a new thread for it in Dogs Day.

azabob
20-06-2016, 09:14 PM
Hasn't Chris been the director of football since his appointment to the board of directors in 2011?

Then why an announcement?

GVGjr
20-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Then why an announcement?

He's gone to a full time position. There are now 3 teams to look after.

Doc26
20-06-2016, 10:07 PM

Good on him.

What's the distinction between Graham Lowe's GM - Football and Chris Grant's - Director of Football ?

Mantis
20-06-2016, 10:20 PM
What's the distinction between Graham Lowe's GM - Football and Chris Grant's - Director of Football ?

Graham Lowe reads out the injury news, Chris Grant doesn't.

1eyedog
20-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Graham Lowe reads out the injury news, Chris Grant doesn't.

Clinically