PDA

View Full Version : The Western Front - video

SonofScray
08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
THE WESTERN FRONT

This was uploaded to the Internet today. I really like it. For mine it is a really neat piece of media and marketing and I'd like to congratulate the Club for having a really good go at this Western Front campaign. It in my mind is the most aggressive and savvy tilt at identifying with the region and selling who we are in memory.

OLD SCRAGGer
08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
THE WESTERN FRONT

This was uploaded to the Internet today. I really like it. For mine it is a really neat piece of media and marketing and I'd like to congratulate the Club for having a really good go at this Western Front campaign. It in my mind is the most aggressive and savvy tilt at identifying with the region and selling who we are in memory.

TOTALLY agree

Raw Toast
08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
THE WESTERN FRONT

Completely Agree. Superb video which will be easily spliced into smaller bits - recognises and celebrates our heritage in the West and links that very nicely into the development of the West and of course, the Dogs.

Murphy'sLore
08-12-2011, 01:49 PM
I like the bit where it says 'we're getting bigger' meaning the western region generally, but then you get the subliminal shot of the guys working away in the gym - was that BMac's influence??

Dazza
08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Best campaign I can remember.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 02:28 PM
I have watched it twice now and are still left wondering what (other than the obvious)exactly its trying to promote.

It did make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside as it encapsulated so many local icons from the region that I am familiar with, however Maribyrnong Council could run the same footage to promote their Council with little change.

I would be interested to hear from the creative team, what they were wanting people to take away from it.

Primarily I got that The Western region is growing and developing and so are we as a club, so join the Western front.

Interesting that there is no call to action to join as a member. I am sure there must be other cuts that spin off from this main theme promoting membership, especially as a 3 minute ad on Television would send us broke.

All in all I like it but are left wondering what the exact message is that I should take away from it

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I have watched it twice now and are still left wondering what (other than the obvious)exactly its trying to promote.

It did make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside as it encapsulated so many local icons from the region that I am familiar with, however Maribyrnong Council could run the same footage to promote their Council with little change.

I would be interested to hear from the creative team, what they were wanting people to take away from it.

Primarily I got that The Western region is growing and developing and so are we as a club, so join the Western front.

Interesting that there is no call to action to join as a member. I am sure there must be other cuts that spin off from this main theme promoting membership, especially as a 3 minute ad on Television would send us broke.

All in all I like it but are left wondering what the exact message is that I should take away from it

Answered your own question mate: the local council could use the same ad. We are trying to cement the western suburbs as our territory. Pissing on hydrants, so to speak.

bornadog
08-12-2011, 06:02 PM

I saw it as a membership drive in line with a growing Western Suburbs.

BulldogBelle
08-12-2011, 06:34 PM
In Perth there is a footy show on TV called The Western Front. Of course its all about the two teams in the west of Australia being the Dockers and Eagles.

They also have a signature action where they make a "W" by bringing together the thumb and first fingers of each hand. They promote members of the football crowd to do this and pick a winner each week.

I wonder what they will make of our new campaign. Might make them make a complete change of their TV program.

Of course they do not own "Western Front" as it is a term that probably originated from the First World War.

I wonder if we will adopt the two handed "W". I wonder if it is copyright?

Rocco Jones
08-12-2011, 06:50 PM
As a proudie Westie I love the video.

In Perth there is a footy show on TV called The Western Front. Of course its all about the two teams in the west of Australia being the Dockers and Eagles.

They also have a signature action where they make a "W" by bringing together the thumb and first fingers of each hand. They promote members of the football crowd to do this and pick a winner each week.

I wonder what they will make of our new campaign. Might make them make a complete change of their TV program.

Of course they do not own "Western Front" as it is a term that probably originated from the First World War.

I wonder if we will adopt the two handed "W". I wonder if it is copyright?

I lived in WA for a few years and having watched the show, I would guess that they would have no idea about this campagin it as it doesn't directly involved Freo or the Eagles!

stefoid
08-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Heres my take - Footscray has a large vietnamese community that is by and large uninterested in AFL. However, we all know the suburbs closer to the city are trendifying and there has been an influx of more affluent people of european/aussie backgrounds into those areas - spotswood, newport, etc. This is aimed at those people like 'hey, guys, you are in the western suburbs now, so support a western suburbs team. They probably bring their own teams with them, but their kids will grow up at their schools with (hopefully) a relatively large bulldogs contingent around them, so when little johny comes home and says "I want to go for the dogs just like my mates", the parents will be inclined to say "yeah, fair enough, this is the western suburbs after all..."

Its a long term thing.

Rocco Jones
08-12-2011, 09:36 PM
On the promotion thing-

Great ads don't have to obviously sell a particular product i.e getting a membership. People are bombarded with obvious sale pinch ads that there is the big risk of just automatically turning them off mentally.

Great ads are those that stick in your head and make you view the product more positivitely. I think this ad does that. People don't buy memberships because you give them the relevant phone number to call they buy them due to passion.

Dry Rot
08-12-2011, 11:42 PM

Good analysis.

Unclear objectives, no call to action, unclear target audience, mixed messages. Looks and sounds like a regional development corporate video.

AndrewP6
08-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Good analysis.

Unclear objectives, no call to action, unclear target audience, mixed messages. Looks and sounds like a regional development corporate video.

Agreed. I think it was a good video for the promotion of the western region, with cameos from the Western Bulldogs football club.

A good premise, but I think they missed the mark.

jazzadogs
08-12-2011, 11:55 PM
As an Eastern Suburbs supporter, I was not overly moved by the Western Suburbs imagery. However I don't see myself as the target audience, so that's alright.

Do we know what the plan is for this video? How will it actually be spread to the target audience of the Western Suburbs population? Are there shorter/accompanying videos?

always right
08-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Good analysis.

Mixed messages? They recognize and respect their roots...a history of honesty and strong values. Everything must evolve however and the club, like the western region, is building an even stronger future. It's about tying the future of the club, the region and it's population together. What's not to get?

DragzLS1
09-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Loved it! And dont see how you people did not get it!

AndrewP6
09-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Loved it! And dont see how you people did not get it!

For me, there's too much focus on the 'region', and not "The Football Club", therefore the perception that it's actually promoting the western region.

SonofScray
09-12-2011, 12:20 AM
For me, there's too much focus on the 'region', and not "The Football Club", therefore the perception that it's actually promoting the western region.

The narration emphasises 'we' a lot, It never really refers to the region and the Club as two different entities, only we. For mine, it is clearly claiming the the region and the club are inextricably linked. Which is great and makes sense to be doing given we gave up our name for that very purpose.

AndrewP6
09-12-2011, 12:22 AM
The narration emphasises 'we' a lot, It never really refers to the region and the Club as two different entities, only we. For mine, it is clearly claiming the the region and the club are inextricably linked. Which is great and makes sense to be doing given we gave up our name for that very purpose.

Fair enough, I don't get that from it. To me, it'd be a good one to play in the local council office, but not at Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
09-12-2011, 12:33 AM
It is promoting the Western Region and that's the point. I grew up in the outer south eastern suburbs and we drove over the Westgate Bridge every week to get to the footy, and I loved it. There was something completely different about the other side of the city, it was like a different world (to my 5 yr old self, it was!).

The video is staking the clubs claim on the region and stating that if you are going to live in the west, if you're going to be part of our community - if you want a community to be part of - then the Western Bulldogs are where it's at. That they are the community, they are the west, you can't have one without the other. Hence the local icons and images of Footscray interwoven with footage of the club.

I really liked it - even though I am not the target audience - it really reminded me of my love of the club and how much the local scenery makes me think "Western Bulldogs".

Raw Toast
09-12-2011, 01:13 AM
If the Dogs want to flourish they have to take advantage of the extraordinary growth in the Western region - this is a serendipitous advantage, though one we anticipated through the name change (even if the scale of development and also gentrification has been greater than most would have expected).

People new to a region tend to want to identify with it - most of the adults are unlikely to change teams, but heaps of young families (and soon to be families) are moving into the region, and if we can get a decent percentage of their kids then our future will be secure.

This video tells a tale that celebrates both the struggles of the past and the hope and promise for the future. I think it's the start of a more explicit alignment of the Bulldogs with the greater West (and associated with lots of school stuff and other initiatives). And I think it's an excellent beginning.

Newcomers want to belong, and we're offering a clear path towards that belonging.

boydogs
09-12-2011, 04:15 AM

It is promoting the region, and a sense of pride and community within it. That's exactly what supporting the Bulldogs is about.

LostDoggy
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Absolutely. I see this as the first serious step we've taken to claiming the west since changing from Footscray. I do think there should've been a few more clips of the other outlying suburbs (not just Footscray and Werribee), but otherwise it's very well done.

It is promoting the Western Region and that's the point. I grew up in the outer south eastern suburbs and we drove over the Westgate Bridge every week to get to the footy, and I loved it. There was something completely different about the other side of the city, it was like a different world (to my 5 yr old self, it was!).

The video is staking the clubs claim on the region and stating that if you are going to live in the west, if you're going to be part of our community - if you want a community to be part of - then the Western Bulldogs are where it's at. That they are the community, they are the west, you can't have one without the other. Hence the local icons and images of Footscray interwoven with footage of the club.

I really liked it - even though I am not the target audience - it really reminded me of my love of the club and how much the local scenery makes me think "Western Bulldogs".

I'm probably slightly biased now that I live in West Footscray, but that wasn't always so, and growing up (mainly) in Essendon, I used to love the drive down to the Whitten Oval, the Powell Hotel with my grandmother, the markets afterwards for dinner, etc.

It's our heartland, and it's also our strongest path to success.

If the Dogs want to flourish they have to take advantage of the extraordinary growth in the Western region - this is a serendipitous advantage, though one we anticipated through the name change (even if the scale of development and also gentrification has been greater than most would have expected).

People new to a region tend to want to identify with it - most of the adults are unlikely to change teams, but heaps of young families (and soon to be families) are moving into the region, and if we can get a decent percentage of their kids then our future will be secure.

This video tells a tale that celebrates both the struggles of the past and the hope and promise for the future. I think it's the start of a more explicit alignment of the Bulldogs with the greater West (and associated with lots of school stuff and other initiatives). And I think it's an excellent beginning.

Newcomers want to belong, and we're offering a clear path towards that belonging.

There was LOTS of subliminal stuff in there. When talking about “getting bigger”, whilst ostensibly about the western suburbs, there were shots of the boys in the gym. Whilst talking about respecting our roots, there was an overlay of the hoops, a subtle reference to the jumper change.

I am glad that we're no longer embarrassed by the Footscray aspect. Collingwood took their working-class image and made it their strong point, and we can do the same.

Very excited about the future if we continue this approach.

strebla
09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I love it I grew up in Braybrook and used to walk to the Western oval more often than not.I am still fiercly proud of where I come from even though I am no longer in the western suburbs. I agree that suburbs like Melton and Deer Park which also have booming communities should have been shown but all in all I really love the concept.

the banker
09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
That's the team I want to follow. Passionate, authentic, committed, urgent. True to place.

We have a solid base of traditional supporters but our future is not that dissimilar to GWS, Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast in that much of our expanding market may not brought up on AFL so we are an outreach educational challenge. Of course we have the advantage of the ubiquitous press coverage.

I think the Club has done a great job with this video and if they can make this the start and put some resources into an outreach program (maybe with the help of the AFL) then I could see us in the mid future being much more of a powerhouse Club.

Excited about the changes this year which show vision on and off the field. Just the beginning of a new era?

the banker
09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Apologise for the typos. Forgot to proof read. Edited thanks TCD

The Coon Dog
09-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Apologise for the typos. Forgot to proof read.

You are able to just go back & edit your post.

SonofScray
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Its getting a real bake from outsiders, much along the lines of what Dry Rot has brought up here. Did anyone hear any feedback for it on SEN yesterday?

Maddog37
09-12-2011, 06:11 PM
At least they are talking about it.

AndrewP6
09-12-2011, 07:00 PM
It is promoting the region, and a sense of pride and community within it. That's exactly what supporting the Bulldogs is about.

That's fine, just IMO I'd have liked more of a footy focus - or implicitly footy focused. Clearly I'm in the minority. And that's OK.

Ghost Dog
09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
That's fine, just IMO I'd have liked more of a footy focus - or implicitly footy focused. Clearly I'm in the minority. And that's OK.

Soundtrack = zzzzzzz

Ghost Dog
09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Mixed messages? They recognize and respect their roots...a history of honesty and strong values. Everything must evolve however and the club, like the western region, is building an even stronger future. It's about tying the future of the club, the region and it's population together. What's not to get?

To me the club is about people first but the video is region first.
All the stuff about statistics on the growth of the west should be secondary to making people excited about THE CLUB. Money, Facts, percentages in growth. These are not things to bleed for. This is not sexy. None of it gets your blood going.

Needs a stronger beginning, middle and end. Bmac should be right there at the start of the vid from the get go.

Would love more shots of fans, people, ( not packing boxes or whatever ). Seriously, shipping containers being unloaded by machines inspires nobody. YAwnfest. The editing doesn't hit any beats really. makes me drowsy.

Should end with players in action. The roar of the crowd, sweat? grimace, ? Where's the sense of tribal in this?The eye of the tiger?

It's like something for colonial mutual. The last thing we should see is pumping action, someone doing something, not standing on an empty footy ground looking surly. Seriously, Boyd and BMac make me laugh with that shining halo behind them.

Does it inspire? rouse? hmmmm. Personally not myself. there is a sense of 'newness' about it which is good. But it's kind of soft and gentle. but It's great if others like it.
I give it 5 out of 10

Murphy'sLore
09-12-2011, 10:02 PM
It looks as if they had to stage all those "footy" shots on empty grounds etc to have them wearing the new (old) jumper - a bit contrived but did they have any choice? Also they probably didn't want any footage of Ward, Hall, the departed faces in there, so it'd be hard to use old games footage.

I don't know if I agree that BMac should be front and centre. We don't even know who he is yet. And it's about the club, the whole club as an entity, not just the coach, or any particular players, really, and it seems that was the effect they were striving for. They seem to have been trying to set it up as a beginning, so it ends just before the real action starts - poised on the brink of something big...

mjp
09-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Good analysis.

I enjoyed watching it and my 13yo daughter (loyal to the Dogs) and I have viewed it together a few times.

I know what you are saying - particularly about the lack of a call to action - but I don't really think there is a mixed message (mixed messages?)...it is aligning the growth of a community to the growth of the footy club, showing how the club is embracing the community/supporting the community and by implication asking for a return of the support...

I think they have just been a bit too ambitious with the presentation. I assume that there will be 28 second versions of this that will be more focused and feature the call to action we are all (as advertising critics) looking to see...

KT31
09-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Soundtrack = zzzzzzz

And the narrative, I assume Boydy , but ahe is not excited, just flat.
Agree it is better than previous campaigns and a solid B for effort.
IMO we are correct in identifying the right market and aiming at the Western suburbs growth.
Need to rock it up a bit and show a bit more of our identity.

ledge
10-12-2011, 12:17 AM
And the narrative, I assume Boydy , but ahe is not excited, just flat.
Agree it is better than previous campaigns and a solid B for effort.
IMO we are correct in identifying the right market and aiming at the Western suburbs growth.
Need to rock it up a bit and show a bit more of our identity.

Luke Darcy

KT31
10-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Luke Darcy

Thanks Ledge, but he is still very flat.

boydogs
10-12-2011, 02:41 AM

Maybe it's a target audience thing, trying to identify with the region to attract new members as opposed to showing highlights of a game they may not understand.

NoName
10-12-2011, 08:42 AM
I've watched it a few times now and can say that I like what they have done, sound track and all. Looking forward to season 2012.

gohardorgohome
10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I like it....its a whole lot better than previous short films that have been made to promote the club.

You like to think that the club will be able to convert members from the expanding population of the Western Suburbs of Melbourne.

Community involvement and sustained on field success are two key factors to this.

The name Western Bulldogs is a great way to say we are the team of this area. The name however is ambiguous to those outside of Melbourne and the AFL community.

I have to often tell people from interstate and overseas that is Western Melbourne not Western Australia.

Dazza
10-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Is this just marketing or is this the membership campaign?

LongWait
10-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I like it. I suspect that it is not a stand alone product but a part of a longer-term, multi-faceted campaign to change the way that people associate the club and the region it is rooted in. Let's not simply judge it on it's own but look at what complimentary marketing the club rolls out during the next year.

Maddog37
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Needs a Bud Tingwall voice over.

GVGjr
10-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I like it. I suspect that it is not a stand alone product but a part of a longer-term, multi-faceted campaign to change the way that people associate the club and the region it is rooted in. Let's not simply judge it on it's own but look at what complimentary marketing the club rolls out during the next year.

I agree. It's a terrific start to what could be a great long term campaign.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Totally agree LW. I would be surprised (and disappointed) if this is done in isolation.
I think it has a clear message, and really drives the point home, that whilst we've always' been intrinsically a part of the region, that we, like the region are evolving. As part of a longer term campaign to change peoples' perceptions I think it's a fantastic effort.

I really like Darcy's voice-over, I think it sounds more serious and aligns with a steely resolve type of message.
Not living in the Western region myself (or in Victoria for that matter) I have no idea how visible the club is in the Western region. But I would like to think that we are, and on the back of this video we really do need to ensure we make it a focus.

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 10:57 PM
As a proudie Westie I love the video.

I lived in WA for a few years and having watched the show, I would guess that they would have no idea about this campagin it as it doesn't directly involved Freo or the Eagles!

So therefore it's all quiet on the western front!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-12-2011, 09:20 AM
So therefore it's all quiet on the western front!
Damn I was going to use that! Writes its own headline.