PDA

View Full Version : Leaner Lake fighting fit

Hotdog60
31-01-2012, 11:33 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20K-O/BLake316b.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Brian Lake will enter this season with a lighter frame after shedding weight at the suggestion of new coach Brendan McCartney.

Lake endured a frustrating 2011, playing only five games for the season and succumbing to debilitating leg injuries.

But McCartney said the dual All Australian was "happy" after a pre-season focused on doing everything to get his fitness to AFL standard.

"He's lighter and leaner than he's been in a long time," McCartney told radio station 3AW.

"That's probably a testimony to the fact that he understands that at this stage of his career he's got to optimise everything."

McCartney, who spent 11 years as an assistant coach at Geelong and last season at Essendon, said he had used champion Cats backman Matthew Scarlett - and his wiry yet strong body - as an example for Lake to follow.

"I probably prodded him (Lake) about Matthew Scarlett and seeing him play so lean and light and so powerfully at that stage of his career, I found it quite inspirational," he said.

MORE (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128379/default.aspx)

AndrewP6
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Didn't he lose weight last year?

westdog54
01-02-2012, 12:01 AM
I like this suggestion, his pace and agility have been great assets to him, and without us being able to rely on Hargrave and Gilbee as much as we used to for rebound from the backline I think that Brian will be called on more for this role.

immortalmike
01-02-2012, 02:06 AM
The big question for me is, Will this have an affect on Brian's greatest asset i.e., his strength in the contest?

westdog54
01-02-2012, 03:31 AM
The big question for me is, Will this have an affect on Brian's greatest asset i.e., his strength in the contest?

With respect, I'm not sure his strength is his greatest asset. As far as I'm concerned his ability to pick off opposition kicks is what has made him as great as he is.

Having said that, in regards to strength in the contest, as long as he's maintained core strength whilst he's lost a bit of the bulk I wouldn't think he'd have lost too much in that area.

Cyberdoggie
01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Didn't he lose weight last year?

Yeah it sounds very familiar doesn't it, unless of course he porked out during his time off.

Hopefully it doesn't backfire, i understand the logic but one of Lake's biggest attributes is his large rear end. Using it to give a slight nudge out of his opponent and taking the mark.

always right
01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Scarlett doesn't appear to lack for strength. Difficult to tell how much of Lake's success in the past has come from smart positioning of his body rather than brute strength. It also won't have any bearing on his ability to read the flight of the ball, surely a major asset of his in previous seasons.

immortalmike
01-02-2012, 02:22 PM
With respect, I'm not sure his strength is his greatest asset. As far as I'm concerned his ability to pick off opposition kicks is what has made him as great as he is.

Having said that, in regards to strength in the contest, as long as he's maintained core strength whilst he's lost a bit of the bulk I wouldn't think he'd have lost too much in that area.

You may be right, but he is one of the only players in recent memory I haven't seen J Brown, Hall, Roughead etc, monster in contests in fact Lakey tended to win one on ones against those players.

immortalmike
01-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Scarlett doesn't appear to lack for strength. Difficult to tell how much of Lake's success in the past has come from smart positioning of his body rather than brute strength. It also won't have any bearing on his ability to read the flight of the ball, surely a major asset of his in previous seasons.

To be fair Scarlett also is rarely in one on one contests against premier forwards, he tends to play third man up.

azabob
01-02-2012, 02:47 PM
To be fair Scarlett also is rarely in one on one contests against premier forwards, he tends to play third man up.

Perhaps this is how Lake will be used moving forward.
He gets to extend his career and continue teaching the younger players coming through.

the banker
02-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Markovic to handle the heavy one on one players, Brian the Scarlett third man run off creative?

BulldogBelle
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Markovic to handle the heavy one on one players, Brian the Scarlett third man run off creative?

Milburn and Scarlett both got significant longevity out of their bodies by playing 2nd + 3rd men up, and also playing at lighter weights

Between Williams and Markovic we certainly have coverage for the 'monsters' - if Lake has lost a few kgs and will be playing a slightly different role

Lake is much more valuable to the side when he was the ability to slip away from his man, read the play and create once he has the ball

The stay at home defender who mans up on the monster forward or resting ruckman is much more suited to a player with lesser skills than Lake

LostDoggy
03-02-2012, 12:36 PM

This is his greatest strength. In fact he tends to stand off a couple of feet from his opponent rather than out-body him.

MrMahatma
04-02-2012, 12:15 AM
I dead set love Lake. I love the way he goes about it.

I didn't know about the calf setback, but sounds like he's going well. Hopefully we get a full year from him.