PDA

View Full Version : One Sorry Season

LostDoggy
04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Emma Quayle

The Age 4th February 2012

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56033111/art-svSHERMAN-420x0.jpg

WHEN Justin Sherman first moved to Melbourne he borrowed a car and set out on each afternoon off, exploring. He worked out where he wanted to live, found places to eat, some good spots to hang out and the easiest way to training with his new team, the Western Bulldogs. He wanted to know what the city felt like in the middle of winter, when it became absorbed in football, but he didn't plan to be the focus of all that talk. Not in the way he did, anyway, sitting at a media conference, surrounded by cameras, wishing he could shrink and asking himself why he'd done what he had just done.

In the days, weeks and months after he was suspended for racially vilifying Gold Coast teenager Joel Wilkinson, Sherman didn't want his teammates to ask him about what had happened. He still doesn't. He was still getting to know some of them, seven months after moving down from Brisbane, and wondered, in the back of his mind what they would be thinking. He sensed their sadness and disappointment, but he also felt supported by them, from the very start. He was sad, deeply disappointed by what he had said, and nervous about facing the camera. But he didn't want his teammates, still trying to keep their season ticking, to feel as if they had to look out for him, to be preoccupied by the ''massive mistake'' that he needed to come to terms with on his own.

''I had so many thoughts in my head, but it was all remorse. I was gutted, basically, gutted by what I'd done. I was sad about what I did. I didn't know why I did it,'' Sherman told The Saturday Age. ''Every feeling I had about it was bad, about what a big mistake it was and I didn't want to push that onto anyone around here. All the guys were so supportive, they all came up to see how I was going, but no one really spoke to me about what had gone on. And that was good. They all had their own things going on and I didn't want them to put that all on them. I knew I was the one who had to fix things.''

Read more (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/one-sorry-season-20120203-1qxtl.html#ixzz1lPdtM8Ks)

Go_Dogs
05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Interesting read, thanks for sharing that.

It's a big year ahead for Sherman, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

bornadog
05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Has a huge upside and lots of potential, so looking forward to him contributing in 2012.

Mantis
05-02-2012, 06:31 PM
So to top off a shocking year he finishes it off by getting the world's worst tattoo... Interesting.

Seriously that was a good read... gives a bit of insight into what makes him tick and like those before me I hope he can put it together in the years to come as we need his type to perform consistently.

Dancin' Douggy
05-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm glad that he shares my opinion of him 'running around like a headless chook'.
At least he can admit it. Hopefully now he'll go on to bigger and better things.

LostDoggy
06-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Is that bloke fighting out of his weight division or what?

Hello Mrs Sherman :D

Mantis
06-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Is that bloke fighting out of his weight division or what?

Hello Mrs Sherman :D

Amongst other things isn't she the person responsible for ending Fev's AFL career.... or so the story goes.

bornadog
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Amongst other things isn't she the person responsible for ending Fev's AFL career.... or so the story goes.

Fev did that all by himself.

Sedat
06-02-2012, 01:21 PM
How hard would it have been for Sherman to wear a KooGa cap instead of a Blades one for the photo? Our chief apparel sponsor would be stoked to see one of their direct competitors get some free exposure :rolleyes:

OK article but the timing could not have been worse coming up again the Jarrad McVeigh articles on the same day. By comparison, Sherman's issues pale into insignificance and look self-absorbed.

Murphy'sLore
06-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Didn't read the McVeigh article because I'm only interested in the Bulldogs.

Mantis
06-02-2012, 02:05 PM
OK article but the timing could not have been worse coming up again the Jarrad McVeigh articles on the same day. By comparison, Sherman's issues pale into insignificance and look self-absorbed.

This article was in Saturday's age.

The McVeigh one was in Sunday's HS.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-02-2012, 02:13 PM
How hard would it have been for Sherman to wear a KooGa cap instead of a Blades one for the photo? Our chief apparel sponsor would be stoked to see one of their direct competitors get some free exposure :rolleyes:

Not a fan of Sherman I take it?

chef
06-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Do you think the article was his idea?

immortalmike
06-02-2012, 02:51 PM

A self-absorbed footballer :eek: That's impossible I can't believe what I'm reading....

Seriously though, it's not like Sherman asked for the interview and even if he did it's not like he would have known about an article on McVeigh, printed the next day in a rival paper.

Sedat
06-02-2012, 03:20 PM
This article was in Saturday's age.

The McVeigh one was in Sunday's HS.
Yeah my bad, I read both Satuday and Sunday papers last night for the first time. I still think the article looked a little 'poor me' compared to the McVeigh story, who has really endured personal tragedy and hardship. Whilst I'm not a fan of Sherman, I certainly don't doubt his sincerity in what he said in the interview, just that the timing was unfortunate in comparison with the McVeigh story.

What really annoyed me was the cap - some might see this as a minor issue but for mine KooGa are paying the club some serious coin and spending bucketloads kitting out the entire playing group and coaching staff head to toe in official Bulldogs gear, so it wouldn't have hurt Sherman to plonk on his official Bulldogs KooGa cap and polo for the photo shoot and support the company that is providing significant financial support to his key employer. Why give Blades (who are NM's on-field sponsor) such a blatant free kick?

PS - theimmortalmike, the McVeigh story was in both The Age and HS

Axe Man
06-02-2012, 03:45 PM

I take your point but don't many of the players have individual boot sponsorships? Perhaps Sherman is sponsored by Blades and is just doing the right thing by his sponsor?

LostDoggy
06-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I take your point but don't many of the players have individual boot sponsorships? Perhaps Sherman is sponsored by Blades and is just doing the right thing by his sponsor?

Or perhaps he was put on the spot and didn't have the Kooga cap stuffed down his back pocket.

The Coon Dog
06-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Or perhaps he was put on the spot and didn't have the Kooga cap stuffed down his back pocket.

I doubt he would have been put on the spot. Emma Quayle would have sought permission from the club before interviewing Justin Sherman.

Sedat
06-02-2012, 04:18 PM
This is a possibility, as footy boots are considered tools of trade. But then Sherman would be choosing to support an individual boot sponsor (where he would only be receiving free boots) over a team apparel sponsor for the photo - probably a worse look if it was premeditated than if he was just being absent-minded.

Greystache
06-02-2012, 04:57 PM
This is a possibility, as footy boots are considered tools of trade. But then Sherman would be choosing to support an individual boot sponsor (where he would only be receiving free boots) over a team apparel sponsor for the photo - probably a worse look if it was premeditated than if he was just being absent-minded.

Sounds about par for the course for Sherman if you ask me.

Maddog37
06-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Geez the knives are out.

AndrewP6
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Far out, can we cut the bloke SOME slack?? If Gia, Murph or the like had been the subject, chances are we'd all be going gaga over the article. The timing of the McVeigh article is completely irrelevant, the two articles are totally separate issues.

As for him appearing self-absorbed, I didn't read that in the article one iota. He mentions a number of times how bad he felt, how he'd made the mistake, how he had to now go about things the right way (not direct quotes). Sounded fairly contrite, to me. Can we move on?

azabob
06-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Far out, can we cut the bloke SOME slack?? If Gia, Murph or the like had been the subject, chances are we'd all be going gaga over the article. The timing of the McVeigh article is completely irrelevant, the two articles are totally separate issues.

As for him appearing self-absorbed, I didn't read that in the article one iota. He mentions a number of times how bad he felt, how he'd made the mistake, how he had to now go about things the right way (not direct quotes). Sounded fairly contrite, to me. Can we move on?

Good call Andrew, he may have a high opinion of himself but he does appear remorseful, in print at least.

Doc26
06-02-2012, 11:27 PM
There's really not a lot more he can say, bit like all the other good vibrations coming out from the Club. Of course it all means squat unless it's turned into results on the field.

LostDoggy
07-02-2012, 11:06 AM

I think it's a result of lingering anger over his actions last year, and whilst that's fair enough to a degree — what he did was pretty bad — at some point we need to forgive and move on.

I agree with AndrewP6 in that I do believe he is remorseful and he has made efforts at redemption.

the banker
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I thought the contrition seemed sincere and that he learnt a big lesson. I am cutting him slack. Let's hope he grows through the experience and it helps him with his footy.

LostDoggy
07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I doubt he would have been put on the spot. Emma Quayle would have sought permission from the club before interviewing Justin Sherman.

You're right. I didn't really think that one through.

MrMahatma
08-02-2012, 10:25 AM
If he has a separate sponsorship, our major sponsor would be aware and all that would be factored into what they paid for the deal.

At any rate, is this kind of article REALLY what sponsors want to be associated with?

Doc26
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
If he has a separate sponsorship, our major sponsor would be aware and all that would be factored into what they paid for the deal.

At any rate, is this kind of article REALLY what sponsors want to be associated with?

Fair point. Maybe it was Kooga that put in a request that he wear their competitors strip.

LostDoggy
08-02-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm fairly sure he has a deal with Blades. They sent him boots and he tweeted about them. But that is all beside the point. Think it was an interesting article. It had all been forgotten, yet here he is discussing it and dredging it all back up again, he's comfortable admitting he made a mistake and regrets it. Think it says a lot about how much he has grown since the incident.

jeemak
10-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah my bad, I read both Satuday and Sunday papers last night for the first time. I still think the article looked a little 'poor me' compared to the McVeigh story, who has really endured personal tragedy and hardship. Whilst I'm not a fan of Sherman, I certainly don't doubt his sincerity in what he said in the interview, just that the timing was unfortunate in comparison with the McVeigh story.

What really annoyed me was the cap - some might see this as a minor issue but for mine KooGa are paying the club some serious coin and spending bucketloads kitting out the entire playing group and coaching staff head to toe in official Bulldogs gear, so it wouldn't have hurt Sherman to plonk on his official Bulldogs KooGa cap and polo for the photo shoot and support the company that is providing significant financial support to his key employer. Why give Blades (who are NM's on-field sponsor) such a blatant free kick?

PS - theimmortalmike, the McVeigh story was in both The Age and HS

Are you familiar with the specifics of the Kooga contract? Perhaps it isn't rigid in this area, and perhaps they didn't pay for such a provision.