PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Intraclub Clash - 11 February 2012

bornadog
09-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Hanging out for season proper?

Get your pre-season footy fix on Saturday 11th February, as your favourite Western Bulldogs go head-to-head in an open Intra-Club clash at Whitten Oval.

With the first bounce at 9:30am, the match will pit Bulldog against Bulldog as the Club gear up for the 2012 NAB Cup competition.

Teammates will compete to stake their claim on a spot in the senior line-up, while the draftees will be putting their hand up for an early season debut.

If you like what you see on the field then the Membership Services team will be on hand help you join the Western Front on the day.

LostDoggy
09-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Being in WA I'd really appreciate some photo's!!!

hotdog
09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Agree Stevw9 some photos beamed into NSW would be great! Hell I may even repay the favour up at Blacktown in a few weeks.

LostDoggy
09-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Cool. Thanks for the reminder, I'll try to remember to take some photos/video and upload them for people who can't make it

The Underdog
09-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Damn, going to be camping in the rain with 3 kids instead.

LostDoggy
09-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Will make my way down.

Iphone photos probably won't suffice so im sure there will be a Woofer or two with a decent lens.

G-Mo77
09-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Bah 9:30. To early for me when you throw in travel time. I'll rely on the Woofer's around here. I'm really interested to see how Minson, Dickson, Wallis and Grant look. Could someone keep a watchful eye on those guys for me? They're just a few players who I personally think can point us in the right direction this season should they step up.

ledge
09-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I will be there, seem to end up talking to Hoops dad every time i go, mums one eyed but old mans ok.

Rocco Jones
09-02-2012, 10:23 PM
I'll be there.

immortalmike
10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I'll be there. But really 9:30 on a Saturday! Damn morning people!

LostDoggy
10-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah! I'll be there. 9:30am is a bit early, especially since I have to walk from Essex Street (!!) but I'll make it.

LostDoggy
10-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Will make my way down.

Iphone photos probably won't suffice so im sure there will be a Woofer or two with a decent lens.

hey hey. iphone pics/vid are pretty good in daylight :P

Eastdog
10-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing the photos you guys take from that intra club match. Where now 1 week away from footy starting up again. Looking forward to the new season under our new coach Brendan McCartney.

Mantis
10-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I haven't had the time to get to a pre-season session yet so I'm hoping to get down tomorrow.

Hopefully the weather is kind.

Greystache
10-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I'll be there and I'll bring Griff with me.

The Adelaide Connection
10-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Does anyone know why Richmond use Whitten oval for their intr-club when they have Punt Road?

Sorry to slide off topic but I figured it would only take a quick answer and not worthy of a whole thread.

Eastdog
10-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know why Richmond use Whitten oval for their intr-club when they have Punt Road?

Sorry to slide off topic but I figured it would only take a quick answer and not worthy of a whole thread.

Im not sure of the reason why Richmond used the Whitten Oval but Ill guess its something to do with the redevelopment or something with Punt Road. Not 100% sure though. Essendon a little while ago used Victoria Park for a training session.

wb_age
11-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Last time I played at Punt Rd it was rock hard, and I think it's also smaller than most grounds

Eastdog
11-02-2012, 02:19 AM
Last time I played at Punt Rd it was rock hard, and I think it's also smaller than most grounds

Princes Park is another ground that would most likely have other clubs sometimes train there after all we played home games there between 1997-1999 and its was Hawthorn's home ground for many years I believe.

The Coon Dog
11-02-2012, 06:12 AM

Is there still cricket played there? If so, that's the reason there would be no footy.

Go_Dogs
11-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Look forward to any reports able to be provided today. Is there a chance it may rain?

Mantis
11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Look forward to any reports able to be provided today. Is there a chance it may rain?

Yep.

It's raining a bit now where I live (which isn't that far from WO), but the radar looks ok.... Hopefully it stays away.

LostDoggy
11-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Its pouring, not sure if its worth going down, could be called off?

Edit: Completely stopped, going down to have a look anyway.

DOG GOD
11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Look fwd to the reports, everyone who's going.

G-Mo77
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Sam Lansberger (https://twitter.com/#!/SamLandsberger) is doing updates on twitter.

LostDoggy
11-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm sure there were people there with far better insight than me but here are some quick observations:
All the talls have bulked to some degree from Grant onwards.
Cordy did some nice stuff up front early but was average in the ruck
Minno clearly the best ruck we have - just hope the brain fades are beaten out of him
Dahl - jeesh, looks like he's likely to be top 10 b&f this year if not higher. The guy just totally gets it - great work ethic and always seems to be in the right place.
Wallis - needs more time I'm afraid. I can't work out if he's in and under or trying to receive and run. He was around the stoppages alot but seems to get nailed frequently. Showed glimpses but more time needed.
Smith - everyone claimed we overpaid at 17 but I really liked what I saw. Should give us some of what libba gave us last year but probably up forward. Really like Talia as well but kicking has some question marks. He contests well for a new recruit though.
Murph was murph - he's just awe inspiring to watch
Skinner showed flashes again and needs to be given the time. Has the potential to be special but needs 1-2 more years probably.
Jones is going to be special much quicker than that I suspect.
Gia very good and no doubt our best forward
Likes a few things Hill and Tom Campbell did as well. We've got at least 2-3 quality talls out of this new batch (talia, hill, cambell, panos, cordy, redpath) for the longer term.
Cheers

ledge
11-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Loved it today, big crowd, Dahlhaus is super, Jones seems to be getting stronger in the marking contest.
Redpath is one hell of a unit, we seemed to have drafted boys ready to go build wise.
Higgins all the skill in the world but gee he can muck things up at times.
Wallis is quick with the hands but his kicking is wayward.
Impressed with Vezpremi, Gia was good.
Panos doesnt miss.
Skinner showed a bit too.

Mofra
11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
A few highlights:

- Jones is a star, Marcovic battled hard but Jones killed him in the air. The kid has amazing hands and also chased hard. He will single-handedly hold our forwardlien together this year

- Vezpremi behind the ball; it worked. He reads the play well and generally uses it well. Lost his opponent a couple of times, but on ballance offers us quite alot. Could play round 1.

- Murphy is a class above anyone on our list on current form. He even ran around Dalhaus a couple of times!

- Clay Smith is now in my supercoach, gets his hands on the ball and makes right decisions, although execution let him down a couple of times. Kicked a nice goal on his left foot.

- Gia has some serious footy smarts, gets to the right spots when he needs to

- Shaggy is back! A sublime pass to Gia for a goal early on, got plenty of it and used it well.

- Lake & Williams look like they've only just returned - out of touch, although Brian still finds it

- Tom Campbell did ok in the ruck, and Cordy beat Minson for taps a few times. Cordy had a horror kick late in the game, but battled hard

- Tutt looks like he is firmly in our best 22

- Panos didn't get much of it, but if he gets 4 possessions a game, it's likely he'll kick 3 goals. Super kick for goal

- Talia looks ok although his kicking is suspect as everyone knew

- Wallis looks to handball everytime he gets the ball, but at least he managed to get the ball

- Lin Jong is a work in progress, but found the ball a few times. Project player who looks to have significant upside

- Gilbee & Boyd didn't play, nor Mulligan

- Liberatore will be A grade. Just needs to to become an elite player. I'm convinced.

Dry Rot
11-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the reports. How did Redpath go?

Any obvious changes to playing style/game plan?

LostDoggy
11-02-2012, 01:30 PM
No Dickson or Sherman. Didn't see Johanissen although he was named

Remi Moses
11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
No Cooney ? No Lake?
Thanks for the reports folks

ledge
11-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the reports. How did Redpath go?

Any obvious changes to playing style/game plan?

Took a good mark looks like he belongs, will definitly have fans.

Harder at the ball carrier.

LostDoggy
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I thought Redpath hardily got a touch.
Lake played, was out marked by Cordy early, got better as game went on.
Cooney also played, a few touches, nothing special.

LostDoggy
11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Number 20 looked really good - Pearce?

always right
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
We drove over from Wheelers Hill....tragics.

Gia killed it in the first half....smart footballer.
Jones and Markovic had a great battle in the first half. Was impressed with Markovic but Jones got on top and ended up being the highlight of the match.
Most of the others played cameos but thought Vez was a surprise and Cordy looked effective.
Murphy a class above, Lake and Cooney did what was expected of them. Just great to see them running freely.
Dahlhouse will be our best player in two years. He is electric.
Tom Hill a pleasant surprise in defense, Didn't look out of place.

SonofScray
11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Walked away from today's hit out pretty pleased. There were no guys out there at all that looked awkward, or completely not up to it. Not sure what that means but in terms of complete spuds, they've been well hidden at this point in the year.

Gia, Shaggy and and Bob were clearly the classiest, best performed on the day. We get good form out of them all, or most of the year and we are already a much stronger team than last year IMO. Shaggy is an important player.

A lot of the other senior guys played bits and pieces roles, nothing to worry about, nothing to rant and rave about.

Smith was very good. He saw plenty of it and I had him in amongst the highlights for the day. Cordy looks like he is ready to go. Hopefully he gets his chances this season, nice and early. Roughhead and Minno looked pretty good, Minson in particular looks slimmer and more mobile.

Jones was almost the standout with his elite marking.

Panos should get a go at some stage, if we put the ball in his hands 5 times, chances are he will kick 4 goals.

choconmientay
11-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Just got home from the Intra-club match. I took few pictures. Currently looking through them and will upload some ... hopefully today ;)

GVGjr
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Just got home from the Intra-club match. I took few pictures. Currently looking through them and will upload some ... hopefully today ;)

Good one Choco

soupman
11-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Just a few comments on those who impressed or were of interest:

2. Robert Murphy: Played the whole match in defence. Was his usual composed magical self and I'd expect another year like last year from him.

8. Patrick Veszpremi: Played in defence and was good. Played on Hooper, Giansiracusa and others and is really encouraging. He attacks the footy, runs with it and is a decent long kick. Could be a bigger version of a Harbrow type running defenders who breaks the lines.

13. Daniel Giansiracusa: Was fantastic and just showed how smart and effective he is. I still don't understand why he is so disliked by so many supporters.

14. Clay Smith: Can find the footy but I think he might be frustrating early on as his disposal is a bit haphazard. Kicked a nice goal though and I'd expect to see him play a few games this season.

15. Jason Tutt: Looks very much at home, has massive arms and his long kicking is good. I'm expecting him to be a regular best 22 player.

19. Liam Jones: Looks very big and strong now and was the highlight of the match. Showed all the signs necessary to indicate he could be very damaging this year. Even his goal kicking looks to have improved a fair bit.

20. Daniel Pearce: Played off half back/wing and moves well, seemed to be pretty clean and has a bit of dash.

21. Tom Liberatore: This kid is an absolute gun and I'm expecting to become one of the elite mids in the future. He is just such a good user of the ball, and he finds it so much. So excited about young Libba.

25. Ryan Hargrave: Dominated an underwhelming Grant and looked like Shaggy of a couple of years ago, linking up well in defence and covering the ground well.

26. Zephaniah Skinner: I thought Skinner was rather impressive today. He gathers the ball really well both in the air and on the ground, and he can get ou of tight situations alright. Footskills still need work but I think he is more than capable of actually earning a game this year.

35. Tom Hill: Really like dhis game. Spent time on Skinner and the resting ruckman but was rather impressive as an option coming out of defence. Moves really well and from a distance you wouldnt expect him to be 200cm. I think he's a chance for a match this season.

45. Tom Campbell: Great size. All muscle. Took some nice marks around the ground and would have finished with about 2 goals. Seemed to be an alright option up forward and I think we have a decent backup ruckman here.

48. Matthew Panos: Didn't see him touch it until the last quarter, where he managed to nail two nice goals from set shots. 2 goals from 2 kicks reads well but he needs to find more of it than that, especially when any real match he will be playing against someone of a higher standard than Michael Talia.

49. Ayce Cordy: Did enough to get you excited. Outmarked lake early and kicked a nice snap shot. Could be ok in a forward/ruck role.

Other passing comments:

-We seem to have recruited a lot of big guys who are a good size, move well and are all good at ground level.
-We are pretty big bodied now, and I can see us really hurting the young bodies of GWS and GC.
-Jones looks amazing. The way he went for his marks and won the footy was very impressive. He could be very, very good.
-We have a lot of players on the list with real potential. The only one's I'd write off as never being able to play at a consistent AFL standard are Hooper and Mulligan.

always right
11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
I left out Cordy. Can see why he had big wraps. Now appears to have the body to play and certainly has the agility and footy smarts.

bornadog
11-02-2012, 02:44 PM
The only one's I'd write off as never being able to play at a consistent AFL standard are Hooper and Mulligan.

I am still not sold on Addison. Maybe the new coach will extract something out of him. I guess last year he didn't look as fit as he should have been for AFL level, and perhaps he has had to work harder this year under BMC.

Doc26
11-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Is only a preseason intra so it is hard to get a decent gauge on direction and development. I have been bouyed throughout the off season with the right words so went in today with an unrealistic expectation. For me it did lack a level of intensity and showing of strength around the ball I might've expected given some of the noise, no doubt not helped with no Boyd and now no Cal. to go inside, nor Huddo or Hall to bring some physical intimidation to the contests. To me looks like it could be a long season if its about wins loss and will end up being about development of our kids, maybe it always was. Anyway I know it's only a nothing intra club game.

On the upside I was pleasantly surprised by Tom Hil and the progress he has made. His kicking surprised me. Also thought Tom Campbell showed a bit of promise around the ground, at times reminded me of Goldstein. As others have mentioned Jones presented and marked strongly. He looks stronger around the hips and moving well, just needs to grow his upper body strength which will come.

jazzadogs
11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Great reports guys. I was at the match and still love all the info!

Grant was the big disappointment of the game for me. Looks to have bulked up, but had no impact on the game, well beaten by Hargrave. Not sure if he's lost some of his speed, or what the problem is, but he was a non-factor.

Dahlhaus is an absolute jet. He and Jones are our future.

Panos did seem to struggle early on, opposed to Talia, but the red team (which he was on) wasn't getting the ball in to the forward line very frequently. When it entered the forward line he did look dangerous, and converted well.

Campbell and T Hill were massive plusses for me. Campbell looks ready for AFL, I would say that he was much better than both Cordy and Roughead today. Having said that, all the big blokes had a good game which is great to see.

Steven King thoughts on match (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/128836/default.aspx). Said that Gilbee tweaked his calf last week which was why he didn't play. Coaching staff were pleased with the attack on the ball.

Swoop
11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth;

1. Grant, faded in and out as we've seen in the past, good matchup with Hargrave with the latter taking honours. Won't ever be a true key position and we shouldn't expect him to despite his size he plays a similar role to Higgins, Gia etc and should be judged accordingly.

2. Bobby was classic Murphy out the backline, others have already mentioned

3. Wallis at this stage doesn't appear to have any point of difference with his competitors and will find it hard to get in the best 22. Someone such as Tutt has pace etc. Which can set him apart but Wallis' assets will come with experience and improved fitness over preseasons, he does all the basics well but doesn't offer anything exceptional yet nor does he have the tank to blow away his opponents. Needs time

4. Cross is cross, still needs to find himself a second string for his own longetivity in the game, struggle to see where that may be but at this stage he still covers the ground well, can get to contests and feed the runners.

7. Higgins, the ultimate tease. Makes something out of nothing and than makes the simplest seem difficult. I expect to see the same from what we've seen in the past floating between forward & midfield, here's hoping to an injury free year.

8. Others have mentioned Veszpremi already and he does move well out of the backline but the one thing others haven't mentioned is that he appeared to have been lined up on Gia for large portions of the match and the general consensus is that Gia was quite influential. Offensively he looks fine but my concern at this stage would be the defensive side with the oppositions ability to blow him up and expose him. I like the idea nonetheless and set role with direction will be good for him.

10. Wood appears to be on par with where he left off, combined with Murphy and to a lesser extent Hargrave we have a fair amount of versatility & rebound from the backline. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more confidence in backing himself to take the mark as a 3rd man up as opposed to the double fist but hopefully that will come.

Will post more shortly...

SlimPickens
11-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the updates guys. Some conflicting views but very interesting to read peoples views on the match.

Greystache
11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Echoing the thoughts of others, Jones was the highlight of the day.

I'm also very impressed by Tom Campbell, he towelled Minson in a scratch match 2 weeks ago, and was good again today. He could be a very handy pick up.

I liked Smith again today, his kicking is pretty horrid but does everything else well, I still think he'll be a round one starter.

Vez was outstanding, good skills and tough, two attributes not often seen together. I sense B Mac wants to give him an opportunity.

Libba just continues to get first hands on the ball and find a team mate.

The vets were all good, Murphy, Gia, Hargrave etc

Despite the article in the paper, Higgins is still Higgins, he plays the game on his own terms. I hope the new coach takes a much tougher stance with him.

Minson was fairly ordinary, Grant didn't offer much in a team being beaten, Wallis just blends into the background, and Moles while being a good finisher makes Eagleton look in and under.

Of the kids I thought Pearce, Hill, and Roberts showed a bit.

Swoop
11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
12. Tom Williams wasn't beaten in any one on one contests but by the same token didn't create many offensive opportunities either, have a lot more confidence in him not being beaten by his opponent next stage of his development needs to start trying to create wherever possible aka Lake 2-3 years ago.

13. Gia found time and space to create offensive opportunities, found it too easy to duck out or push up and lose his opponent, he'd be a chance to be our leading goal kicker this year.

14. Clay Smith did a lot of small good things around the ground, behind the hype I can see a kicking technique that come under fire in years to come so hopefully he can rectify that with time and practice.

15. Tutt looks a solid size considering his dimensions, he has good pace, a nice kick and what appears to be renewed confidence with another preseason under his belt. He will no doubt feature throughout the year and he offers us what few others do throughout the midfield, there's no doubt he prefers an open outside game and that's not a criticism merely an opinion on his style nonetheless it will be interesting to see him conform with McCartney's style which will be good for his own development as contested football is probably his biggest weakness at this stage.

16. Griffen did what you expect from him, looks fit and primed for another strong year.

17. I fear we wont ever see the real Adam Cooney again and as much as I need to wrap my head around it so does he, he looks good but didn't get out of 2nd gear. Will try not to read too much into it as it may have been a case of Cooneyitis combined with practice matchitis a deadly combination.

18. Fletcher Roberts was actually one of my surprises of the day, certainly didn't expect much from him and don't expect to see him feature for the dogs anytime soon but he handled himself well nonetheless. Played as a backman he showed good judgement with the ball in the air and was composed with it in his hands. Looks shorter than his listed height but also doesn't look as skinny as i thought he would be, one to watch through the VFL, something there to work with.

19. Jones has been mentioned already and was impressive, took some nice grabs. If I had a criticism obviously his kicking can let him down as a generalization and he'd want to continue to rectify that although he did slot a nice one from 50. He also attempted to mark from behind on a few occasions, he did it successfully might i add but i would prefer to see him really fight for front position as against the AFL big boys he may not be able to do it so easily. Also i noticed under pressure the the instruction to the players appeared to be to kick to a long contested target along the boundary in order to reset and that this may suit Jones as he does have the ability to take a pack mark.

20. Pearce was another highlight for me, again didn't expect much but he was quite impressive. Athletic type who showed good poise and ball use. Played across half back and was impressive in the air and on the ground. Another one who may find it hard to break into the side but one i will watch with interest with at VFL level. Wouldn't completely rule out a debut later in the season if he continues to progress.

At this point in time I would like to apologize for any spelling errors especially any random words that don't make any sense, my iPad loves to change words on me!

The Bulldogs Bite
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Some good write ups. I'll add my part.

* Murphy, Hargrave and Gia were a cut above the rest in all facets. Murphy dodged and weaved at his absolute best and delivered the ball with precision. He's an elite footballer. Hargrave dominated across half back and provided some strong rebound too. Extremely encouraged by his performance and the way he moved -- looked as good as I've ever seen him. Gia has to be one of the smartest players in the league and despite good defensive efforts from opponents at times, Gia was able to nudge them under the ball or work them over on the lead. Great to see.

* Jones was sensational -- you had to be there to appreciate his performance, even if it was only a scratch match. His contested marking and work rate was phenomenal. He was OFTEN out numbered in pack situations, but just flew over the top to take clean grabs. Must have taken 5-6 really strong marks, and his disposal looked cleaner too. He's going to need help, but Jones could be an elite player. He's a mirror image of a younger Nick Riewoldt IMO.

* Dahlhaus is probably already one our best players, simply because he plays with so much energy and positivity. He brings other players into the game, and sparks them into action. He regularly makes something out of nothing, and is rarely ever caught or pressured. His composure with the ball in tight situations is elite -- love that he lowers his eyes to spot up a 15-20m pass, or a releasing handball to a free player. Decision making is elite, pace and defensive pressure is elite. This kid could be huge.

* Libba dominated early. Finds so much of the ball, positions his body better than anyone, and uses it very well by both hand and foot. Pleausre to watch, and as we all know, will be an absolute star for the club.

* Veszpremi is one of my favourite players, which is perhaps well known, so I might be biased but I thought he was very good. He reads the play quite well off half back and was very damaging from an offensive standpoint. He ran hard to receive, used his pace extremely well and delivered the ball lace out 90% of the time. Defensively it's hard to know is Veszpremi is adequate, and if he's got the fitness ... but talent/effort? He's got that in spades. Really could become a better than good AFL player. I like this new role for him, too.

* Tom Hill was impressive. He's a great size and he moves really well. Thought he looked quite comfortable with the ball in hand down back, and used it quite well. He's got a nice long kick and has a solid handball on him. Positioned himself pretty well, which surprised me, and offered run out of defence. He did get caught once, but other than that, it was a good display. This kid has something -- hope we put time into him.

* Campbell is somewhat of a Hudson-lite. He loves to ran after the ball, throw himself into a contest and feed the ball out. Uses his bulk well and is just a good competitor. Took two very strong contested marks in packs, and kicked two goals. Good signs. He was better than Roughead and Minson today, but I am not sure Campbell is big enough to be effective in the ruck. Maybe a Leigh Brown type role could await -- I'm not sure -- but I think he could find it difficult against the giants.

* Today was the first time Cordy showed me that he could perhaps make it in this league. He took a hell of a contested mark against Lake and did a couple of other nice things. Definitely had more of a presence on the field, which surprised me. LONG way to go -- but first time I've been encouraged.

* Talia has good hands and competes well. Definitely has the ability, just needs to work on improving his disposal, but it was a good first performance.

* Panos was quiet, but after a good defensive effort he then went back and nailed a beautiful goal from the boundary line. Few minutes later and he got another too. As others have said, if he gets the ball 6 or 7 times, chalk it down for 4 goals. He's the best kick for goal I've ever seen at any level, but he NEEDS to get involved more. If he does -- he'll be a serious FF.

* Clay Smith goes in very hard and attacks every contest full throttle. Certainly able to win his own ball, and he gives repeat efforts. I'd say he's a mix between Ward and Cross. He's not slow, but his kicking really does need work.

--------------------------------------------

* Grant was poor. Lacked intensity and refused to move at times. Disappointing. Maybe we need to play him directly out of FF, because he gets lost at half forward. When he does get it, something good usually happens, but he's not in the game nearly enough.

* Wallis still worries me. Disposal is close to the worst at the club, he's a little slow to make a decision with the ball in hand and often fumbles.

* Skinner has a great attitude and certainly puts in the effort. He's never completely out of a contest when he keeps his feet, but the annoying thing is, he often flies for a mark and crashes the pack when a taller player is already there. The opposition ran away with the ball about 3 or 4 times from instances such as these. He has to play to his strengths and go for his marks, but he has to have more balance. I agree there is something to work with, but he needs a lot of teaching and still looks a fair way off in that department.

* Hooper should have been delisted, whilst Addison was lucky. Both still made basic errors and struggled to get involved for the most part.

ratsmac
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Footy is back!!!

Liam Jones was great to watch today, the lad can mark a football. Kicking was pretty good too.

Gia is a good footballer and we'll need him to be consistent all year if we a any chance of making finals. He moves well and can use his body well too.

Murph is a star! Still as nimble as ever, even on a wet ground.

Redpath didn't do much, but as one poster said 'what a unit'. His nick name must be "the unit'.

Minson was solid, definitely our best option in the ruck right now.

Shaggy is moving really well, just hope he can stay injury free.

Talia will play this year as soon as he improves his kicking. Big body for a young bloke and he knows how to mark the ball.

Grant was disappointing but did combine well with Jones a couple of times.

Cooney still finding touch but done a couple of nice things. Quick hands off the ground set up a goal.

Dollhouse doesn't appear to have any second year blues. Always in the contest and always exciting.

Tom Hill looks like he will be a player, coming on nicely.

Panos is a dead eye dick. If we can deliver the ball to him it will result in goals.

Libba is a chip off the ol' block. Is he still eligible for a rising star nomination this year?

Higgins was Ok, always looks good in the intra club matches.

Griffen is fast becoming our best player. Always looks dangerous. Did get caught a couple of times though which was due to good pressure around stoppages.

Ves looked good and was always amongst it. Lost touch with his opponant a few times that result in goals against. But he was moving good.

Overall it was mostly pleasing to watch IMO. We seem to use the boundary a fair bit like collingwood. We didn't seem to move the ball that cleanly forward of the centre, although that could be due to the added emphasis on our defensive pressure in the backline and around the ground. There always seemed to be numbers around the ball which is nice to see. There was a fair bit of flooding a zoning going on. We need to find a clean path to goal. This will be much better with our best 22 all on the same team though.

soupman
11-02-2012, 04:05 PM
I am still not sold on Addison. Maybe the new coach will extract something out of him. I guess last year he didn't look as fit as he should have been for AFL level, and perhaps he has had to work harder this year under BMC.

Forgot about DFA. He's one I guess I could see as playing a role at AFl level, especially if it becomes as physical as it's talked up as being by all the new coaches. Still, I'm not sure he's actually going to make it though.

G-Mo77
11-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Did Dickson play?

The reports on Grant are not pleasing at all. I know it's only intra-club but from what I've read it looks like it's the same old story. He's an important player and we really need him to take the next step.

choconmientay
11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Here is the first batch of pictures I took today. Sorry about the quality as the weather wasn't great for taking photo :) Anyway I tried to capture the mood of the players and spectators. Enjoy. Second haft pictures will be uploaded later.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelaxong/6854697291/in/set-72157629266161387/lightbox/

Let me know if you guys are having issue with the link.

GVGjr
11-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Great work Choco

choconmientay
11-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Great work Choco

Thanks. It's just one of my hobby btw.

Max469
11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Great photos thanks for sharing

DOG GOD
11-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the reports and pictures guys...much appreciated.

chef
11-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Love the reports, thanks guys and girls:)

Bulldog4life
11-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the reports and pics guys. Much appreciated.

Go_Dogs
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Many thanks for the reports, great read.

Maddog37
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Good work guys.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Fantastic effort for all of the reports! After reading them all its just made me more eager for the real season to star!!!!!

ratsmac
11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Great snaps choconmientay.
I wish my iphone could take pics that good :D

choconmientay
11-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Guys,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelaxong/sets/72157629266161387/

I have added few more pictures to the set including a picture of Boyd on the sideline, few pictures from Liam Jones 'amazing' marks and quite a few from the dogs spectators. You may find yourself on some photos ;)

btw, ratsmac: I don't even have an iphone to test it out :D

LostDoggy
11-02-2012, 07:25 PM
The only one's I'd write off as never being able to play at a consistent AFL standard are Hooper and Mulligan.

I was led to believe Mulligan didnt participate in the practice match?

Templeton31
11-02-2012, 07:56 PM
How did Djerkurra and Howard go?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great reports!

always right
11-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I was led to believe Mulligan didnt participate in the practice match?

He didn't. I think Soupaman was commenting on our list in general.

Raw Toast
11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Just a few thoughts to add to the excellent coverage already on WOOF.

The intra-club game is one of my favourite moments of every season - heaps of Dogs barrackers cram back into the environs of our hallowed ground, and you can feel the hope wafting out as you walk to the ground (from the distant carpark you managed to eventually find!).

I brought my two daughters and they lapped up the atmosphere (and company of Chops, his dad and Mofra). We saw about half the game:

Murphy is a delight, Higgins can still sparkle (and his match-up v Murphy was fun), Skinner lack a sure first-touch, but was was putting himself in the place to get lots of opportunities, and managed to nicely knock the ball to team-mates a few times.

Vez was impressive, Cordy had moments of looking like he really belonged, and I was happier with Wallis than a few others. Last year Wallis was bog in the intra-club game. He didn't dominate this time, but was able to do quite a few small things, and most importantly, was able to move the ball on quickly and well, often by hand, but in a way that got the ball to someone in a better position.

Smith was also impressive, particularly for me in his ability to place himself in a good position and not be drawn into ball-chasing - he got the ball in space a few times (once for the nice goal he kicked) by waiting patiently in the right place.

Lake was rusty, but did a few nice things, and had a very funny moment of doing a trick chip-kick to himself on the run which didn't come off, leading to the groans and chuckles that Brian has been good at evoking over the last few years.

Shaggy as others have noted, looks to be in excellent condition, and is so important to any challenge we might make. I'm not so down on Grant, it's a very hard match-up for him, and he did get the ball well from leading up a couple of times, and provided a great, lace-out pass to Jones, and some decent forward pressure.

Campbell took a great mark, Gia was very good, Lin Jong has a great body, did a nice thing or two, but the game still looks a bit fast for him at the moment.

On the gameplan, I think we'll be rotating more players through the middle than before, with players like Cross and Smith shifting up to the forward flank, and others like Vezspremi shifting to a back flank, but I still expect him and others (maybe Gilbee/Tutt/etc) to go through the middle more as well.

Cyberdoggie
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
We drove over from Wheelers Hill....tragics.

I can top that, made it over from Boronia, even took the 7 month pregnant wife who enjoyed the day as well.

Game wise i thought it was a shift to keepings off until they get the ball to center wing area then drive it down the boundary and try and run it through the open forward line.
Of course the pressure in defensive was up significantly. No more running along side of players giving them time to dispose without pressure.

Most of the reviews told the story, although i though Cordy was very good early and battled well in the ruck and got his hands on it more than Roughead did.
What was pleasing to see was his work up forward where he used his 'significant' strength advantage to shove opponents out and take a grab. He still doesn't look big but that surprised me, he must be much stronger in the legs and upper body as i've never seen him do that before, rather he usually gets shoved out easily.

Jones was very good as everyone said and has a huge leap.

Hill and Campbell showed a little for big men, didn't see much of Redpath but he does look huge out there.

Panos was very quiet until the last quarter where he kicked 2 and looked ok.

Wasn't a lot of opportunities for tall forwards, however Jones just commanded the ball.

Smith and Talia would be the 2 worst kicks in the side, Minson has better kicking ability than they do which astounds me.

Defensively Talia can play but i just know i'm going to cringe everytime he gets the ball across the backline.

I think Hooper had 1 touch which he kicked a nice snap. Moles had only a little more and also kicked a goal.

Wallis was ordinary again for 3 quarters but then i saw him dive into a ground ball, pick it up and dispose it out with good vision to a teamate running by, which looked great.
He then quickly followed it up with a few more disposals where he was actually running towards goal and kicking the ball, however his kicks where a little off target. I was certainly not happy with his efforts.
I think he's putting a lot of pressure on himself and it's obviously affecting his game.

Zeph took some nice grabs and looked ok up forward, also made skill errors by foot and dropped a couple of easy marks. Running much better to contests and looks much fitter than last year.

Lake didn't do much but (wasn't on long) but looked to be running ok and most of his kicking was pretty good.

Cooney looked pretty good for someone who hasn't trained much.

Cyberdoggie
11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
How did Djerkurra and Howard go?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great reports!

DJ barely touched it, Howard also didn't do much, kicked one off the ground early because he got worried about the players coming in, should of grabbed it.

always right
11-02-2012, 11:30 PM
DJ barely touched it, Howard also didn't do much, kicked one off the ground early because he got worried about the players coming in, should of grabbed it.

DJ went off injured early in the piece.

jazzadogs
12-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Took some photos yesterday, this is the link (http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/) to the whole album (might want to start at the end, because they go in reverse).

Some of my favourites:

Love Cordy and Dahlhaus' facial expressions
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/IMG_7772.jpg

Campbell throwing his weight around
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/IMG_7776.jpg

Markovic outpointing Jones early on. Jones tried to play from the back and nudge him under, but Marko was too strong.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/IMG_7795.jpg

He's magic.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/IMG_7806.jpg

jazzadogs
12-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Griff
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/IMG_7942.jpg

Redpath marking over Wallis
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/IMG_7946.jpg

Fletcher Roberts
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/IMG_7966.jpg

Howard
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r633/jpsan1/IMG_8026.jpg

ledge
12-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Great pics everyone, really looking forward to NAB cup to get an idea on players and gameplan in competition of some sort.

choconmientay
12-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for sharing jazzadogs. First picture is extremly hilarious. :)

Mofra
12-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Howard - used the ball well when he got it, just didn't get it much. He looks massive now, have to wonder if it's had any effect on his mobility.

Tutt looks a much safer bet - he's a monty for round 1.

GVGjr
12-02-2012, 02:29 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Howard - used the ball well when he got it, just didn't get it much. He looks massive now, have to wonder if it's had any effect on his mobility.

Tutt looks a much safer bet - he's a monty for round 1.

I think we have to play Howard as much as we can this year. He's physically ready and we know he has the skills so to really gauge his worth we must be prepared to play him as much as we can.
As you say, Tutt is very much in the mix for the first round.

F'scary
12-02-2012, 03:04 PM
thanks for reports and pics. Drove past the ground when I took the girls to ballet lessons, there were a lot of people there.

Comments on J Grant's hitout are worrying. Otherwise, very encouraging news on the Prez, the Ayce, Libba Jnr, the King and others who really have to step up this year if we are going to press for the final.

thanks again and regards

azabob
12-02-2012, 03:49 PM
- Liberatore will be A grade. Just needs to to become an elite player. I'm convinced.

Liberatore seems to work hard, go about his business with no fan fair what so ever. He seems very quite and reserved by nature and probably enjoyed the spot light being on Mitch Wallis last year and the final year or so in under age footy.

He has great vision and has the knack of knowing where the ball is and where it is going to be.

We all will enjoy watching him for the years to come.

bornadog
12-02-2012, 04:41 PM
I think we have to play Howard as much as we can this year. He's physically ready and we know he has the skills so to really gauge his worth we must be prepared to play him as much as we can.

I think he has put on some kilos and agree this should be the year he starts to cement a spot in the top 22.

Mantis
12-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I think he has put on some kilos and agree this should be the year he starts to cement a spot in the top 22.

Where would you play him?

The Bulldogs Bite
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I thought Howard was disappointing too. His disposal is overrated; he misses too many targets for what is supposed to be his strength. Bit worried about him, as he's been physically ready for a little while.

Agree we need to play him, but as Mantis said, where? He's poor defensively, and I'm not sure he's mobile enough to play across a wing.

Could he play half forward?

The Underdog
12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the reports all. While I view the pre-season and intra club games as too much like dancing with your sister to read too much into it and am wary of the form line of anybody based on these kind of contests, it's still fun to read the positives.

GVGjr
12-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I thought Howard was disappointing too. His disposal is overrated; he misses too many targets for what is supposed to be his strength. Bit worried about him, as he's been physically ready for a little while.

Agree we need to play him, but as Mantis said, where? He's poor defensively, and I'm not sure he's mobile enough to play across a wing.

Could he play half forward?

Where possible we have to get him on a back flank but unlike you I don't think his mobility is a problem where it would stop him playing on a wing. He's no speedster but he isn't slow either.

His disposal can be patchy but in the main he's more than effective with it.

Rocco Jones
12-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Where would you play him?

I am thinking the same. He has a really good kick but he desperately needs another string to his bow. Howard neither has explosive pace or a tank allowing him to run all day. He also really struggles to find the ball. I think this really hurts his midfield chances. I believe his best hope is on the half back but he needs to improve his defensive efforts. Perhaps his weight gain could see him in a role similiar to Hurn's. Have a physical presence and be really damaging despite only getting say 12-15 disposals.

Maddog37
12-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I liked him on the wing in the VFL. His attack on the ball was first rate in the senior games he did play. He only played school footy did he not?

Ovatheboarder
12-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the reports and the photos guys.
Funny how diverse the reports are on certain players. Don't read too much into intra clubs, wait till we go up against another jumper

neddie
12-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Where possible we have to get him on a back flank but unlike you I don't think his mobility is a problem where it would stop him playing on a wing. He's no speedster but he isn't slow either.

He played on the back flank for Glenelg Under 18s,where his defensive and kicking ability were the main reason he was recruited by the Bulldogs

Mantis
12-02-2012, 09:54 PM
He played on the back flank for Glenelg Under 18s,where his defensive and kicking ability were the main reason he was recruited by the Bulldogs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he played mainly as the spare defender at Glenelg so that his kicking ability could allow him to be the set-up player.

GVGjr
12-02-2012, 10:49 PM

Dalrymple rated him in the elite bracket but he was always insistent that the club (and the supporters) would have to take a long term view on him. Physically he looks ready, skill wise he's nearly there so we have to patient with him now, in what is going to be very much a development year for the club, and give him as many opportunities as we can.

I think half back or on a wing are the positions he needs to fill for us. I'm not convinced his defensive ability was a strong consideration in drafting him but I suppose he was mainly used as a defender.

Ghost Dog
12-02-2012, 11:52 PM

I thought Howard was doing quite well in time trials in the past? Right up there with the leaders.... is this wrong?

Mofra
13-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I am thinking the same. He has a really good kick but he desperately needs another string to his bow. Howard neither has explosive pace or a tank allowing him to run all day. He also really struggles to find the ball. I think this really hurts his midfield chances. I believe his best hope is on the half back but he needs to improve his defensive efforts. Perhaps his weight gain could see him in a role similiar to Hurn's. Have a physical presence and be really damaging despite only getting say 12-15 disposals.
IIRC he was 6th at the club in the endurance running?
For mine he does have the tank, but not yet the smarts to play a midfield role and find the ball with any regularity.

I'm worried that he will be an Everitt type - overall a good player without being outstanding, good skill set, slightly below the intensity level required and worryingly, wont cement himself in a set position in the side (jack of all trades, master of none).

Everitt in his last season for us was interviewed after a VFL game and was asked his best position - he couldn't answer the question. I hope Howard at least has a favourite position in mind.

w3design
13-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you for the terrific reports! What were people's impressions of changes in game style overall?

always right
13-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Thank you for the terrific reports! What were people's impressions of changes in game style overall?

Probably best to wait until we play another side before answering this....but getting numbers around the ball appears to be a clear component.

Bulldog4life
13-02-2012, 01:54 PM
For mine he does have the tank, but not yet the smarts to play a midfield role and find the ball with any regularity.

I'm worried that he will be an Everitt type - overall a good player without being outstanding, good skill set, slightly below the intensity level required and worryingly, wont cement himself in a set position in the side (jack of all trades, master of none).

Everitt in his last season for us was interviewed after a VFL game and was asked his best position - he couldn't answer the question. I hope Howard at least has a favourite position in mind.

According to what the coach and his assistants say they want the players being able to play in a number of positions. I'd imagine irrespective of what their favourite positions is.

bornadog
13-02-2012, 01:55 PM

You could tell from the way Everitt's body language and the way he played was very lazy. I don't see this in Howard. I think he does have the intensity, but agree he is not a midfielder at this stage. As others have indicated, HBF or wing until he can develop his skills further.

w3design
13-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Probably best to wait until we play another side before answering this....but getting numbers around the ball appears to be a clear component.

Fair call. I look forward to seeing us hunting ball and player with intent this year and playing with real ferociousness.

choconmientay
13-02-2012, 04:19 PM
I thought Howard was doing quite well in time trials in the past? Right up there with the leaders.... is this wrong?

AFL site is running an article about him (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128852/default.aspx) today. They mentioned about his training in the pace department ... "He has added about 5kg and has still managed to rank in the top echelon of Bulldogs - along with the club's veteran pacesetters, skipper Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross and Daniel Giansiracusa - in their high-intensity running tests.""

I think this year may be an exciting year for him.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2012, 08:29 PM
AFL site is running an article about him (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128852/default.aspx) today. They mentioned about his training in the pace department ... "He has added about 5kg and has still managed to rank in the top echelon of Bulldogs - along with the club's veteran pacesetters, skipper Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross and Daniel Giansiracusa - in their high-intensity running tests.""

I think this year may be an exciting year for him.

Terrific article, I know just about all stories follow the same theme, but he genuinely seems very focused and understands the amount of work ahead of him to become a consistent AFL player. It seems he really looks up to Crossy, and that has to be a good thing.

This article also screams leadership material to me.

He's going to be one to watch closely over the NAB Cup to see how much he has improved over the pre-season.

LostDoggy
13-02-2012, 09:27 PM
This article also screams leadership material to me.

I think that's jumping the gun.
He'll need to get a game first. I don't think he is in our best 22 and as already mentioned has no position yet.

ledge
13-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I watched a few Willy games last year and I thought Jones showed leadership, he was giving instructions when not in the play.

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 12:07 AM
As well as Griff, Murph, Gia and the usuals I thought Liam Picken put in a great game on Saturday. Always breathing down the neck of his opponent and often winning the ball and doing one of his long kicks. How come no one has mentioned him???

Ghost Dog
14-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Everitt was interviewed and said he wanted to play on the wing. I remember because many on here cried " No such position anymore!".

DragzLS1
14-02-2012, 12:53 PM
As well as Griff, Murph, Gia and the usuals I thought Liam Picken put in a great game on Saturday. Always breathing down the neck of his opponent and often winning the ball and doing one of his long kicks. How come no one has mentioned him???

I have said it before, if we had a team full of pickens, we would be very hard to beat! always catches his man and is prectically stuck to them like glue.. Cant wait to see him play love his intent and hardness!

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I like some people pump players up while other players are undervalued. Picken is a reasonable player but to say we need a team of players like him is overplaying his talent. He is no star. Even last season when he played poorly, it was hardily mentioned.

jeemak
14-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I like some people pump players up while other players are undervalued. Picken is a reasonable player but to say we need a team of players like him is overplaying his talent. He is no star. Even last season when he played poorly, it was hardily mentioned.

Picken's type seem to get a bit of a free pass from supporters, and it always astounds me.

Mofra
14-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Picken's type seem to get a bit of a free pass from supporters, and it always astounds me.
It's the weight of expectation - as a rookie, expectations are low.

A higher draft pick with a good skill set will be expected to perform like Judd every week (ie Higgins)

jeemak
14-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I think it also comes down to the value placed on attributes such as those demonstrated by Picken, versus those demonstrated by a player like Gia or Higgins.

Skillful players are often deemed naturally talented with the work they've had to put in to get to where they are being discredited, while the lesser skilled but tough players are seen has battlers who have had to fight and scrap for every opportunity they get.

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I think that's jumping the gun.
He'll need to get a game first. I don't think he is in our best 22 and as already mentioned has no position yet.

IT's not jumping the gun in that Griff wasn't suggesting he be captain tomorrow. I do agree in that foregoing his 21st, when he has a good excuse for having one, is a good sign of maturity, as is the role he's taking on at home with Dahl and Tom Hill. Leadership qualities and ability are two different things.

You just did. :)

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 02:00 PM
It's the weight of expectation - as a rookie, expectations are low.

A higher draft pick with a good skill set will be expected to perform like Judd every week (ie Higgins)

It could also be the style of play. Picken comes into the contest like a freight train on 'roids. Supporters dig that.

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 05:38 PM
IT's not jumping the gun in that Griff wasn't suggesting he be captain tomorrow. I do agree in that foregoing his 21st, when he has a good excuse for having one, is a good sign of maturity, as is the role he's taking on at home with Dahl and Tom Hill. Leadership qualities and ability are two different things.

They are different but ability comes before leadership.
You need to be able to play the game before you can captain. We aren't Gws and don't give it 18 gamers that are unproven.

Go_Dogs
14-02-2012, 08:20 PM
You need to be able to play the game before you can captain. We aren't Gws and don't give it 18 gamers that are unproven.

I agree, he needs to prove himself with consistent on-field performance before he is actually considered. I was merely saying that he has a mature head on him and it seems he has some strong leadership credentials, which is what I'd what from all of our leadership group.

Whether he ever gets the chance? I guess we'll know more in 12 months.

always right
14-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I think it also comes down to the value placed on attributes such as those demonstrated by Picken, versus those demonstrated by a player like Gia or Higgins.

Skillful players are often deemed naturally talented with the work they've had to put in to get to where they are being discredited, while the lesser skilled but tough players are seen has battlers who have had to fight and scrap for every opportunity they get.

I think you're right but battler or not, what I really like about Picken is that week after week you always know what you're going to get. Sure he doesn't always come out on top but you know it won't be because he hasn't had a red hot go.

I also think Picken can have a positive impact on teammates. I reckon blokes would love playing alongside him. I have him in our best 22.

Ghost Dog
14-02-2012, 11:35 PM
I think you're right but battler or not, what I really like about Picken is that week after week you always know what you're going to get. Sure he doesn't always come out on top but you know it won't be because he hasn't had a red hot go.

I also think Picken can have a positive impact on teammates. I reckon blokes would love playing alongside him. I have him in our best 22.

His tagger role tends to portray him in that light, but I actually think he has better skills than most give him credit for. Some really good snaps for goal last season opened my eyes. Great balance and a pretty good kick.

jeemak
15-02-2012, 12:08 AM

Understand what you're saying. And I agree with you.

I also think supporters can underestimate the positive impact highly skilled players who are safe with the football and can finish off their good work have on the team. There's not many more demoralising things as a footballer than working your butt off to win a contested ball, only to see it turned over and sailing over your head in to the hands of your opponent on the back of a simple skill error.

I guess players get to see the hard work that goes in to execution and have the opportunity to witness first hand what it takes for most naturally talented players to perform each week.

For me the jury's out on Picken being a long term player for us as we develop the younger players on the list (although he's in the age bracket we are lacking in), as his game isn't a rounded one. I'm not sure whether I think that because he's lacked sufficient opportunities in different roles to show us what he can do, or a lack of ability. I suspect it could be a bit of
both, though if any player has the determination to prove he can do it, it's him.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Picken's biggest flaw is his tendency to just slam the ball blindly onto his boot. He did this a lot last year, and a few times in the intra club. His skills are OK when he composes himself, especially for goal.

I think he can still play plenty of good footy with us, but hopefully it's as a lock down mid who pushes forward. I don't like seeing him down in defence.

Mantis
15-02-2012, 08:29 AM
I think he can still play plenty of good footy with us, but hopefully it's as a lock down mid who pushes forward. I don't like seeing him down in defence.

Most of us would agree, but our lack of small defenders forces us to use him in this role more than we should.... And especially last year when we had quite a few injuries to contend with down back.

LostDoggy
15-02-2012, 10:23 AM

Nobody has said he should be captain. But he looks like future leadership group material at the very least.

Mofra
15-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Most of us would agree, but our lack of small defenders forces us to use him in this role more than we should.... And especially last year when we had quite a few injuries to contend with down back.
Will be interesting to see where he lines up for us this year then - Shaggy looks like he's back for good, and Vez looked quite good behind the ball so he could take a spot there too.

LostDoggy
15-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Nobody has said he should be captain. But he looks like future leadership group material at the very least.

My last on this topic. How can someone be seen as a future leader of the club when you can't even see him playing just yet?

ledge
15-02-2012, 01:52 PM
My last on this topic. How can someone be seen as a future leader of the club when you can't even see him playing just yet?

Liberatore and Wallis were seen as leadership material before they were even at the club!

GVGjr
15-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Liberatore and Wallis were seen as leadership material before they were even at the club!

Wallis has been a high profile youngster during since he was a junior and he is an impressive speaker. Not sure if it will translate to a leadership role somewhere down the track but he has the right attributes. At the moment his biggest challenge is establishing himself as a senior footballer.

ledge
15-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Wallis has been a high profile youngster during since he was a junior and he is an impressive speaker. Not sure if it will translate to a leadership role somewhere down the track but he has the right attributes. At the moment his biggest challenge is establishing himself as a senior footballer.

Just backing up a point players are seen as leaders very early even before getting games.

LostDoggy
15-02-2012, 08:28 PM
While we are at it Queen Elizabeth, Barrack Obama and Michael Clarke also show good leadership qualities.
My point was they need to get a game first.

ledge
15-02-2012, 08:48 PM
While we are at it Queen Elizabeth, Barrack Obama and Michael Clarke also show good leadership qualities.

Haha did he get Aussie citizenship?

LostDoggy
15-02-2012, 08:51 PM
We're off topic aren't we?

AndrewP6
15-02-2012, 09:23 PM

I'm not sure she'd have the tank to run out a game. Prince Phillip would make an entertaining commentator though.

GVGjr
15-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Just backing up a point players are seen as leaders very early even before getting games.

And if the have that attribute or potential there is no reason why it shouldn't be mentioned. No body picks a player just because they have that attribute it's just an extra observation.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2012, 12:33 AM

I think we need to focus on developing players for certain roles, rather than robbing peter to pay paul. We should be playing our players in their best positions; let us try and find somebody else to cover an area of need. Especially for this upcoming season, where it's mainly about development.

As for who that could be? Maybe a Djerrkura type, maybe Moles. Smith and Wallis as unlikely outsiders.

The way I see our back half shaping up:

First picked = Morris, Lake, Hargrave, Williams, Murphy, Wood
Next in line = Gilbee, Veszpremi (swingman), Moles, Djerrkura, Markovic (KPP), Talia (KPP)

It's not ideal, and this is where the loss of Schofield hurts, but we need to try and find a few defenders. Howard and Tutt are better suited to midfield roles, so maybe Wallis (for example) will benefit in learning the game from the half back line. Veszpremi is a wild card and should be a swingman IMO, whilst Moles is a player I'd like to see off the HB.

LostDoggy
17-02-2012, 12:44 PM
It's not ideal, and this is where the loss of Schofield hurts, but we need to try and find a few defenders. Howard and Tutt are better suited to midfield roles, so maybe Wallis (for example) will benefit in learning the game from the half back line. Veszpremi is a wild card and should be a swingman IMO, whilst Moles is a player I'd like to see off the HB.

I agree with alot of your post but I'm not sure where Veszpremi becomes a swingman? He looked good of the backline in the interclub but that's the first I've seen him look like he might actually reach AFL standard and be a 50 game player. Howard has played much of his footy out of half-back to my understanding and assuming Tutt or Sherman handle Griff's other wing then I think Murph's opposite half-back flank will be Howard or Gilbee. Hope Veszproves me wrong but I think he's still more VFL than AFL at the moment. Maybe he's massively improved his tank in the offseason though? Totally concur lets find a players best position and let him develop there for a period. I note no Addision on your list but he's almost a veteran for us now and I suspect will get games in the back 6 also?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I agree with alot of your post but I'm not sure where Veszpremi becomes a swingman? He looked good of the backline in the interclub but that's the first I've seen him look like he might actually reach AFL standard and be a 50 game player. Howard has played much of his footy out of half-back to my understanding and assuming Tutt or Sherman handle Griff's other wing then I think Murph's opposite half-back flank will be Howard or Gilbee. Hope Veszproves me wrong but I think he's still more VFL than AFL at the moment. Maybe he's massively improved his tank in the offseason though? Totally concur lets find a players best position and let him develop there for a period. I note no Addision on your list but he's almost a veteran for us now and I suspect will get games in the back 6 also?

Veszpremi should be a swingman because he's a natural forward and can kick goals -- he's done this at AFL level with both Sydney and us, despite limited appearances. Most conceed he has a lot of talent, it's his work rate and possibly mental strength that he needs/needed to improve. Time will tell on that front, but the coaching staff have been planning for him to play across half back.

Howard has been trained for the wing. This has been confirmed by him and one of the assistant coaches, I believe. He had been played as a defender up until this pre-season, but he's just not a defender.

On Addison, I left him out because I don't think we should be playing him unless we've got a number of injuries. For mine, he's had a long time to cement a position, but hasn't improved at all.

bornadog
17-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Veszpremi should be a swingman because he's a natural forward and can kick goals -- he's done this at AFL level with both Sydney and us, despite limited appearances. Most conceed he has a lot of talent, it's his work rate and possibly mental strength that he needs/needed to improve. Time will tell on that front, but the coaching staff have been planning for him to play across half back..

He is yet to prove he is good enough for AFL. I hope he gets his opportunity as there are some good signs.

Ghost Dog
18-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Veszpremi should be a swingman because he's a natural forward and can kick goals -- he's done this at AFL level with both Sydney and us, despite limited appearances. Most conceed he has a lot of talent, it's his work rate and possibly mental strength that he needs/needed to improve. Time will tell on that front, but the coaching staff have been planning for him to play across half back.

Howard has been trained for the wing. This has been confirmed by him and one of the assistant coaches, I believe. He had been played as a defender up until this pre-season, but he's just not a defender.

On Addison, I left him out because I don't think we should be playing him unless we've got a number of injuries. For mine, he's had a long time to cement a position, but hasn't improved at all.

Addison is our Eker par excellance isn't he? But I wonder what the new coach will make of him. He certainly has the attributes of toughness and love of a contest the new coach is after.

immortalmike
18-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Addison is our Eker par excellance isn't he? But I wonder what the new coach will make of him. He certainly has the attributes of toughness and love of a contest the new coach is after.

I find it interesting that most people seem to see Addison as this tough as nails contested ball machine, I wonder do those same people notice that he rarely wins the ball in contested situations and often comes up second best...

bornadog
18-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I find it interesting that most people seem to see Addison as this tough as nails contested ball machine, I wonder do those same people notice that he rarely wins the ball in contested situations and often comes up second best...

Should have been delisted.

immortalmike
18-02-2012, 04:36 PM

I understand why he wasn't but if I'm being honest I can't see how he will improve from being fringe to best 22. By the way I hope I'm wrong and he ends up a servicable player as I do think he gives 100% every time he's out there and I respect that.

Ghost Dog
19-02-2012, 02:19 PM

He looked ok in the Collingwood last night match and got a mention in the press conference. I've never been a big fan but think the new coach will suit him / develop him. Let's hope so because we are stuck with him for this season.