PDA

View Full Version : Crows Recruiter quits

Ghost Dog
16-03-2012, 09:21 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-race-row-crows-recruiter-resigns-20120316-1vaf8.html

AFL race row: Crows' recruiter resigns
Michael Gleeson
March 16, 2012 - 6:35PM
Read later
The Adelaide Crows' Matthew Rendell was the recruiter who told the AFL he would be unlikely to draft an indigenous player unless they had a white parent.

Rendell quit the club today

Adelaide chief executive officer Steven Trigg said Rendell’s position was ‘‘absolutely untenable’’.

Advertisement: Story continues below
‘‘We can’t have him attached to the club,’’ Trigg told reporters today.

‘‘In no forum on any part of the club has there been any suggestion about changing our recruiting policies.’’

Rendell made the comments in a meeting attended by two AFL representatives, he said.

Rendell released a statement saying he believed his comments, in a meeting attended by AFL community engagement officer Jason Mifsud, were misunderstood.

‘‘I believe the comments in a meeting with Jason were taken out of context,’’ Rendell said.

‘‘They were misunderstood.

‘‘I have a strong track record of recruiting Aboriginal players.

‘‘My comments were about where recruiting could finish up without proactive work.

‘‘I was trying to help.

‘‘However, knowing the implication of such reports, I’ve decided to stand down.

‘‘To stay would attach those comments to the club, which is not the case either.’’

Any comments on this article?
Sometimes things are true but not right - right but not true I guess.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I was pretty shocked to hear this, very disappointing statement he made.

mjp
16-03-2012, 11:50 PM
I was pretty shocked to hear this, very disappointing statement he made.

I agree with this - the 'white parent' comment is deplorable - however there are not too many clubs who have recruited players from remote communities. Melbourne have Jurrah I suppose, but beyond that...a few people will quote Skinner, but he is a relative urban-ite compared to Jurrah.

Manson was as talented as anyone in last years draft but was overlooked by every single club - and it had nothing to do with his ability. Do I agree with the clubs? Mostly, yeah - because you are risking a LOT of money on a person who is a genuine 'flight' risk. But based on talent he should have been picked.

So we can all criticise Rendell without reservation, but if the other clubs come out with a 'holier than thou' attitude I will be very disappointed.

LostDoggy
17-03-2012, 08:59 AM
On a positive note, this overblown affair along with the overblown Bernie Vince being caught in his boxer shorts debacle have completely ruined 'grand final week' in Adelaide.

Go west coast! ...and corkies all round!

Sorry to be flippant on a sensitive issue but my dislike of the crows takes precedence.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I have no doubt as MJP says that a lot of club recruiters would be thinking like Rendell but I guess the difference is they don't come out and say anything in public.

Racism still exists in Australia (and most of the world), but we have become more tolerant than in the past. Lets hope indigenous communities work with mainstream Australia together to ensure talented footballers are not lost to football. A great initiative is the Michael Long Academy which has received a $15 million boost and has been set up in Darwin to help indigenous players from remote areas of Australia.

Go_Dogs
17-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I have no doubt as MJP says that a lot of club recruiters would be thinking like Rendell but I guess the difference is they don't come out and say anything in public.

It's not so much coming out and saying it, if a recruiter makes a decision based on what they perceive to be the risks of selecting players in the draft (be it a go home factor, mental illness, anything!) that's fine, however if that was the point Rendell was trying to make, he stuffed up beyond belief and it's difficult to see how those specific words he used could be read in any context without being viewed as racist.

I'm don't know the guy and I'm not trying to cast any aspersions about his character, but someone with his experience and standing in the game needed to do much better. Will watch this spot with interest over the next couple of weeks.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 10:40 AM
It's not so much coming out and saying it, if a recruiter makes a decision based on what they perceive to be the risks of selecting players in the draft (be it a go home factor, mental illness, anything!) that's fine, however if that was the point Rendell was trying to make, he stuffed up beyond belief and it's difficult to see how those specific words he used could be read in any context without being viewed as racist.

I'm don't know the guy and I'm not trying to cast any aspersions about his character, but someone with his experience and standing in the game needed to do much better. Will watch this spot with interest over the next couple of weeks.

I am agreeing with you, but do you think there are other clubs thinking along the same lines as Rendell, ie indigenous players are too hard to deal with?

ledge
17-03-2012, 10:45 AM
I am agreeing with you, but do you think there are other clubs thinking along the same lines as Rendell, ie indigenous players are too hard to deal with?

Obviously not us.

Go_Dogs
17-03-2012, 10:54 AM

I've got no doubt that it's a strong consideration for recruiters selecting an indigenous player (or any player), because the club is hopefully making a 10+ year investment and the due diligence needs to be done.

I'd hate to think that clubs are taking a view that it's too hard and they will only draft indigenous kids if they have one white parent. That's bs. Sure, there are examples of indigenous players heading home after struggling to adjust to an interstate move/elite training program etc, but they way Rendell's comments acted to stereotype all indigenous players is just wrong.

No doubt clubs/AFL can still improve and provide more/better resources to assist, but over the years there has been a huge number of very successful indigenous players. If the comments reflect the views of recruiters I think the AFL reaction is the right one - make a quick example. Yes, do your due diligence when recruiting, but don't implement drafting policy based on racist stereotypes. (Not suggesting that's what Rendell did whatsoever, but it's an implication of the words used in my humble opinion).

GVGjr
17-03-2012, 11:04 AM

I don't think it's quite as simple as that though. Before any player is drafted by a club they consider if the family links are that strong that the transition to life as an AFL player is just too big of a risk.
It's a massive step for anyone to be asked to move from a remote location from outback Australia to a city like Melbourne and the risks that they can adjust to it and also thrive in it is a huge consideration. Even the wealthy clubs can't afford too many misses.
Rendells comments are inexcusable and even though he says they were taken out of context he did the right thing in stepping down.

Regardless of all that, due diligence must be performed for every draftee and the challenge for any recruiter is to convince his club that potential recruits from remote locations can make the transition.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 11:31 AM
There was an interesting article in The Age a couple of days ago on the indigenous players from Victoria. There are currently only four playing in the AFL. Most of the kids in Mildura are playing soccer, others have turned to basketball and I think they said there are none playing TAC this season. This is really deplorable considering the overall percentage of indigenous players in thge AFL as a whole? Why is this ?

Is the AFL ignoring the Victorian communities and not promoting and developing the game?

Are the recruiters ignoring them?

ledge
17-03-2012, 11:39 AM
There was an interesting article in The Age a couple of days ago on the indigenous players from Victoria. There are currently only four playing in the AFL. Most of the kids in Mildura are playing soccer, others have turned to basketball and I think they said there are none playing TAC this season. This is really deplorable considering the overall percentage of indigenous players in thge AFL as a whole? Why is this ?

Is the AFL ignoring the Victorian communities and not promoting and developing the game?

Are the recruiters ignoring them?

Soccer is growing, has a longer lifetime and is a safer sport injury wise, would say thats more to the point.
The way newspapers and tv report AFL injuries as career ending, season ending etc no wonder kids are turning away.

A league has helped I have no doubt.

Greystache
17-03-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't think it's quite as simple as that though. Before any player is drafted by a club they consider if the family links are that strong that the transition to life as an AFL player is just too big of a risk.
It's a massive step for anyone to be asked to move from a remote location from outback Australia to a city like Melbourne and the risks that they can adjust to it and also thrive in it is a huge consideration. Even the wealthy clubs can't afford too many misses.
Rendells comments are inexcusable and even though he says they were taken out of context he did the right thing in stepping down.

Regardless of all that, due diligence must be performed for every draftee and the challenge for any recruiter is to convince his club that potential recruits from remote locations can make the transition.

Jayden Schofield being a good example of this situation not being reserved exclusively to Aboriginal footballers. All signs pointed to Schofield having a long and successful AFL career, but the difficulty of being so far away from home proved too much.

Would Dalyrymple and co. have hesitations about recruiting another kid from a remote region regardless of whether they appear to have the talent and mental strength to handle it?

bornadog
17-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Jayden Schofield being a good example of this situation not being reserved exclusively to Aboriginal footballers. All signs pointed to Schofield having a long and successful AFL career, but the difficulty of being so far away from home proved too much.

Would Dalyrymple and co. have hesitations about recruiting another kid from a remote region regardless of whether they appear to have the talent and mental strength to handle it?

Yes not confined to indigenous players.

Good article here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rendell-a-scapegoat-20120316-1vaxt.html?rand=1331903472115) by Caroline Wilson, on troubled players, but I don't agree Rendell was a scapegoat, Rendell should never have made those comments.

Sedat
17-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I guess the difference is they don't come out and say anything in public.To be fair to Rendell, his comments (inexcusable as they were) weren't made in the public forum either. AD, via Mifsud, has made sure the comments were made public so that he could find a convenient scapegoat to attack in relation to this issue. Sacking Rendell has hardly addressed the issue but at least AD has a scalp to show for it.

Remi Moses
18-03-2012, 01:11 AM
As per usual when someone stuffs up the out of context drivel gets trotted out
Inexcusable from Rendell, and rightly he should go!

The Underdog
18-03-2012, 08:59 AM
As per usual when someone stuffs up the out of context drivel gets trotted out
Inexcusable from Rendell, and rightly he should go!

Yes but if his side of the story is true then he's paid a harsh penalty for what basically amounted to a warning. Considering that he seems to be an intelligent guy and the comments as initially reported seem to be out of character, it seems that he may have paid a steep price. It will be interesting to see him tell his side of the story. I might even have to tune into Footy Confidential for a change.
People should rightly be on the front foot to combat racism but it shouldn't just lead to reactionary and dogmatic behaviour.

Ghost Dog
18-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I've got no doubt that it's a strong consideration for recruiters selecting an indigenous player (or any player), because the club is hopefully making a 10+ year investment and the due diligence needs to be done.

I'd hate to think that clubs are taking a view that it's too hard and they will only draft indigenous kids if they have one white parent. That's bs. Sure, there are examples of indigenous players heading home after struggling to adjust to an interstate move/elite training program etc, but they way Rendell's comments acted to stereotype all indigenous players is just wrong.

No doubt clubs/AFL can still improve and provide more/better resources to assist, but over the years there has been a huge number of very successful indigenous players. If the comments reflect the views of recruiters I think the AFL reaction is the right one - make a quick example. Yes, do your due diligence when recruiting, but don't implement drafting policy based on racist stereotypes. (Not suggesting that's what Rendell did whatsoever, but it's an implication of the words used in my humble opinion).

And people from other backgrounds too! Jayden Schofield, come on down. :rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
18-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Yes but if his side of the story is true then he's paid a harsh penalty for what basically amounted to a warning. Considering that he seems to be an intelligent guy and the comments as initially reported seem to be out of character, it seems that he may have paid a steep price. It will be interesting to see him tell his side of the story. I might even have to tune into Footy Confidential for a change.
People should rightly be on the front foot to combat racism but it shouldn't just lead to reactionary and dogmatic behaviour.

I think it's hard enough to live on a remote community without feeling that some, in terms of employers, sees you as a second class citizen. However, I do agree with the above. I don't even discuss Aboriginal views with people in Melbourne as many have never been to a remote community and if you try to be candid about it, people become all preachy, idealistic or know-all. My sister is a classic case. so passionate about aboriginal determination, but a bit blinded by her passion, and will jump hard on anyone who sees any fault with Aboriginal affairs.
I get the feeling a lot of people are like this.

Anyway, the Crows are in a position ( being in Adelaide ) to develop a special relationship with Aboriginal communities, more so than other clubs. Let's not forget their colors are the aboriginal flag! well, similar ^_^. this thing is really damaging for them.

The Underdog
18-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I think it's hard enough to live on a remote community without feeling that some, in terms of employers, sees you as a second class citizen. However, I do agree with the above. I don't even discuss Aboriginal views with people in Melbourne as many have never been to a remote community and if you try to be candid about it, people become all preachy, idealistic or know-all. My sister is a classic case. so passionate about aboriginal determination, but a bit blinded by her passion, and will jump hard on anyone who sees any fault with Aboriginal affairs.
I get the feeling a lot of people are like this.

Anyway, the Crows are in a position ( being in Adelaide ) to develop a special relationship with Aboriginal communities, more so than other clubs. Let's not forget their colors are the aboriginal flag! well, similar ^_^. this thing is really damaging for them.

There's a certain irony to the fact that a man who allegedly attacked another man with a weapon has a job and the protection of his club, while another man who may have made a racist comment in a private conversation has been sacked (sorry, resigned). If the roles were reversed I'm not sure the punishment's would have been the same. The problem there of course is that it's a simplistic way of looking at things and it is anything but a simplistic issue. The history, politics and emotion that come into play are almost stifling as far as trying to find solutions to the issues at hand. I'm certainly not even close to knowledgeable enough to get into what those solutions might be, but it is the greatest and probably most unresolveable community issue in this country.

Anyway...how about football, hey?

azabob
18-03-2012, 11:27 AM
To be fair to Rendell, his comments (inexcusable as they were) weren't made in the public forum either. AD, via Mifsud, has made sure the comments were made public so that he could find a convenient scapegoat to attack in relation to this issue. Sacking Rendell has hardly addressed the issue but at least AD has a scalp to show for it.

Will be interesting to hear Rendell's side of events on footy classified. He has known Mifsud quite a while and thought his views would be kept quite.

Moving forward why would clubs give their honest thoughts in a private setting to the AFL, when clearly the AFL will make them so public if they so desire?

Flamethrower
18-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Something is not right here.....

Matt Rendell has been involved in recruiting for many years at 2 different clubs (St Kilda and Adelaide) and both of those clubs have drafted indigenous players while Rendell has been there. If the comments attributed to Rendell were actually his own beliefs, then why has he been a party to the drafting of the very players he supposedly opposes recruiting.

I will be watching Footy Classified tomorrow night to hear from the man himself. On the surface it seems that Rendell is a convenient scapegoat for the AFL who are hellbent on trying to tell everyone how good they are, completely free of racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination.

Maddog37
18-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Might have to change the name to the Australian Utopian Football League.

Remi Moses
19-03-2012, 04:22 PM

What's his side of the story?
We'd prefer to pick up an indigenous player if he has a "white" parent.
Sounds pretty cut and dry. We'll get a nicely worded piece tonight full of "out of context" already the blokey mate propoganda has started. He stuffed up now move along.

bornadog
19-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Sounds pretty cut and dry. We'll get a nicely worded piece tonight full of "out of context" already the blokey mate propoganda has started. He stuffed up now move along.

This^^^^^^

Maddog37
19-03-2012, 05:49 PM
So do we cast him aside and say naughty boy or do we educate him and give him a second chance.

Or do racists not get a second chance?

jeemak
19-03-2012, 05:57 PM

He's vehemently denied saying the words in the context they have been presented. The AFL were the organisation that has decided to go public with the comments, so you could potentially take with a grain of salt the claim that both of the people from the AFL present have little doubt to how they were intended.

Either way, I'll do this person the service of reserving judgement on his character until he's had an opportunity to explain himself. After all, I'd expect to be afforded the same privellage.

I'm always surprised by how readily people will start hurling bananas around the place based on scarce or limited information.

azabob
19-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Every club would review the family situation before drafting a kid.

As I said before I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL asked him to be open and honest and when he was he was his opinion was made public.

If it was a private conversation, it should have stayed private.

What about if a recruiter went on the record saying we would draft a kid whose parent/s have a drug addiction? Would that recruiter also be sacked?

GVGjr
19-03-2012, 07:47 PM

Not everything is as clear cut as you make out. I believe the right thing is to hear his side of the events before condemning him.
He's paid a heavy price and he's done the right thing by his club by resigning but I think he should be given the opportunity to explain himself.

FrediKanoute
19-03-2012, 08:53 PM

What if though statistics bore that out to be true? What if hypothetically a sample of indigenous footballers were profiled and it was found that there was a statistically higher risk in drafting indigenous footballers with 2 indigenous parents than those with one indigenous parent. Would that be racist or would that be risk management?

Throughandthrough
19-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Saw a very sad and lonely Matt Rendell at the Adelaide airport today.

Happy Days
19-03-2012, 09:17 PM
What if though statistics bore that out to be true? What if hypothetically a sample of indigenous footballers were profiled and it was found that there was a statistically higher risk in drafting indigenous footballers with 2 indigenous parents than those with one indigenous parent. Would that be racist or would that be risk management?

It's not a racial issue, it's a culture shock. Take anyone out of a remote small culture and thrust them into the limelight and they will at least mildly struggle to deal with it.

Pretty sure Jayden Schofield has two white parents.

westdog54
19-03-2012, 09:26 PM
It's not a racial issue, it's a culture shock. Take anyone out of a remote small culture and thrust them into the limelight and they will at least mildly struggle to deal with it.

Pretty sure Jayden Schofield has two white parents.

I don't think many would argue with that, but the question I keep coming back to is why does having one or two indigenous parents come into it? They're separate questions and if Rendell was referring to the second specifically with his comments, then he's a country mile out of line.

bornadog
19-03-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't think many would argue with that, but the question I keep coming back to is why does having one or two indigenous parents come into it? They're separate questions and if Rendell was referring to the second specifically with his comments, then he's a country mile out of line.

Demitriou was a guest "On The Coach" tonight and said the AFL never suggested Rendell should be sacked. Demitriou rang the CEO of Adelaide and asked him to deal with it. Rendell was called in and asked to explain and had the opportunity to retract what he said. He refused to retract, so the CEO said go away and think about it and come back in a few hours. Rendell came back and again refused to retract his statement, so the club had no choice.

I haven't watched Footy Classifieds, because I can't stand those guys, but will be interesting to hear his version.

Sedat
20-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Demitriou was a guest "On The Coach" tonight and said the AFL never suggested Rendell should be sacked. Demitriou rang the CEO of Adelaide and asked him to deal with it. Rendell was called in and asked to explain and had the opportunity to retract what he said. He refused to retract, so the CEO said go away and think about it and come back in a few hours. Rendell came back and again refused to retract his statement, so the club had no choice.

I haven't watched Footy Classifieds, because I can't stand those guys, but will be interesting to hear his version.
If you think that Rendell resigned of his own volition and that there was no influence coming from city hall, you'll believe anything.

Demetriou was after a scalp and he got himself one. Dipper can call Wanganeen an abo and receive 2 months' counselling so that he could return to his cushy AFL gig. By contrast, Rendell and his 35 years of dedicated service to the game has been erased from history within hours. If I didn't love the Dogs as much as I do, this game would have lost me as a fan years ago.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-03-2012, 12:33 AM
If you think that Rendell resigned of his own volition and that there was no influence coming from city hall, you'll believe anything.

Demetriou was after a scalp and he got himself one. Dipper can call Wanganeen an abo and receive 2 months' counselling so that he could return to his cushy AFL gig. By contrast, Rendell and his 35 years of dedicated service to the game has been erased from history within hours. If I didn't love the Dogs as much as I do, this game would have lost me as a fan years ago.

This.

Demetriou is one of the worst things to have happened to the AFL.

jeemak
20-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm absolutely speachless of how poorly this competition is administered in so many ways, and one of the most baffling things for me is the ongoing willingness of the AFL to indulge in public whippings of people to push its agenda.

Rendell should have known better than to offer a dry and loaded example of what might be the outcome of what he perceives to be a dire situation with respect to the attrition rate affecting indigenous footballers, in front of two AFL officials. If my nine years of experience in business (not a lot compared to many on this board, I'm sure) I've learned very quickly that friends or confidants can't do much to help you if the tide turns against you, even if they can privately acknowledge your words and actions may not have been intended how they've in the end been perceived by higher powers. I can't think how a person with 35 years experience at the top level of the game could make such a mistake, particularly in front of a person he didn't have an ongoing relationship with (not Misfud, rather the second person in the room).

The game has once again been shown to be filled with idiots chasing their tails. Like Sedat has said, if it wasn't for the Bulldogs I'd have turfed this mind bogglingly insulated and in so many ways stupid competition a long time ago.

Topdog
20-03-2012, 05:28 AM
so what did he offer up on Footy Classified as his story?

Remi Moses
20-03-2012, 03:19 PM
This.

Yes, Bring back Ross Oakley I say:rolleyes:
Put it this way under previous CEO's Jackson and Oakley a few clubs wouldn't be receiving Special assistance Funds.You wouldn't be following a football club

bornadog
20-03-2012, 05:11 PM

In this case I believe Demitriou. Rendell said himself that he resigned. I can only go by Demtriou's word and not others perceive of him. Rendell should have explained the whole thing after he resigned, but he claims he didn't get that opportunity, that is utter crap. He has gone away and made up a story.

There is no place in society to talk the way he did, even though he may think that way.

bornadog
20-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Really, and why do you say that? What are your issues with him?

I am not a big fan of Andrew, but I can see all the good he has done for the clubs. Before him, every other CEO wanted to get rid of the Dogs, North etc and try and reduce the number of clubs. Through making the AFL a more professionally run organisation and negotiating the huge TV rights he has secured our future.

Make no mistakes successive administrations before this one , since the 1980's have tried to either merge us or relocate us.

westdog54
20-03-2012, 05:24 PM
In this case I believe Demitriou. Rendell said himself that he resigned. I can only go by Demtriou's word and not others perceive of him. Rendell should have explained the whole thing after he resigned, but he claims he didn't get that opportunity, that is utter crap. He has gone away and made up a story.

There is no place in society to talk the way he did, even though he may think that way.

The way I see it, Rendell's comments, if they reflect his attitude, obviously conflict with ideals held higher up within the Football Club. If that's the case, his position is untenable and he has made the correct decision to walk away.

Ozza
20-03-2012, 05:42 PM

Did you see Rendall's explanation of the events and context last night on Footy Classified?

chef
20-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes, Bring back Ross Oakley I say:rolleyes:
Put it this way under previous CEO's Jackson and Oakley a few clubs wouldn't be receiving Special assistance Funds.You wouldn't be following a football club

This.

AD has been very good to our club.

Sedat
20-03-2012, 07:16 PM
We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one BAD. With all the bad press that the Jurrah situation generated for the indigenous community, AD ruthlessly took the opportunity to nail Rendell to the wall and make the story about Rendell the racist, and deflect away from the real issue of the alarming rate of indigenous players walking away from the game at the highest level. There is an issue that needs to be addressed but AD, as it his wont, resorted to head-kicking mode in order to preserve the 'wonderful work that the AFL does with the indigenous community'.

There are a few scribes awake to the AD modus operandi but almost all of them are too scared to go him for fear of being ostracised by the AFL community. He has his plants in the media (Caro, KB amoungst others) to tow the party line. This will only get worse with the rise of AFL Media - hopefully some of the more ballsy scribes will start calling AD and the AFL into account now that the AFL has created a department that is a direct competitor to the wider media.

The Underdog
20-03-2012, 09:28 PM
We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one BAD. With all the bad press that the Jurrah situation generated for the indigenous community, AD ruthlessly took the opportunity to nail Rendell to the wall and make the story about Rendell the racist, and deflect away from the real issue of the alarming rate of indigenous players walking away from the game at the highest level. There is an issue that needs to be addressed but AD, as it his wont, resorted to head-kicking mode in order to preserve the 'wonderful work that the AFL does with the indigenous community'.

There are a few scribes awake to the AD modus operandi but almost all of them are too scared to go him for fear of being ostracised by the AFL community. He has his plants in the media (Caro, KB amoungst others) to tow the party line. This will only get worse with the rise of AFL Media - hopefully some of the more ballsy scribes will start calling AD and the AFL into account now that the AFL has created a department that is a direct competitor to the wider media.

The story emanated from AFL sources. For an organisation that control's the message like the AFL does, you have to wonder what the motivation behind it was.

The Underdog
20-03-2012, 09:32 PM
This.

I don't disagree that this administration has been positive in keeping less financially stable clubs alive but on the other side, they have been fanatical about controlling the message in the media and the perception of the game in the wider public. They treat critics with disdain and take no criticism on board. They keep us alive but unlike powerful clubs who can step outside and criticise the AFL we basically get to be their lapdogs because we can't afford not to be.

GVGjr
20-03-2012, 09:49 PM
This.

And that has nothing to do with this discussion.

Ghost Dog
20-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Robert Dippa was not sacked from his position for using the word 'Abo'. He was sent on a 're-education' tour of aboriginal communities. Surely the AFL could have shown some kind of similar diplomacy by ensuring that this recruiter was given an opportunity to ride the learning curve. and if so, fine, Losing your job is probably the logical outcome, but to have to bear it in the public arena is a huge punishment that will not go away and affects this person for many years to come. Was it deserved? Perhaps he did not deserve to keep his role, but was it necessary to so publicly vilify the man? Comments can often be misconstrued or taken out of context. Who are we to judge.

I think some attempt could have been made to show how you do approach these issues. by sitting down and talking about them with the parties involved - and not on Footy classified!

was churlish of AD to put in his two cents on the recruiter to give him some credit on the LJarrah thing ( I assume )
A ' no comment' would have been far more mature.

Topdog
21-03-2012, 01:25 AM
The way I see it, Rendell's comments, if they reflect his attitude, obviously conflict with ideals held higher up within the Football Club. If that's the case, his position is untenable and he has made the correct decision to walk away.

and judging by his actions (recruiting) and his words (Footy Classified) his comment did not reflect his attitude.

Topdog
21-03-2012, 01:26 AM

Rendell said he was asked to step down. AD said that he refused to retract his statement. Watching On the Couch this morning it was pretty bloody easy to see when AD was lying.

chef
21-03-2012, 08:21 AM

Shouldn't you have highlighted this post then?

This.

BulldogBelle
21-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTh-3-4iIMU) a link to the Footy classified Rendell interview. A very intense interview that's well worth watching.

Ghost Dog
21-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTh-3-4iIMU) a link to the Footy classified Rendell interview. A very intense interview that's well worth watching.

Full on.

AndrewP6
21-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Full on.

Certainly was, Rendell was very passionate.

bornadog
21-03-2012, 11:44 PM

Yes agree to disagree. You may also want to read this.

Former Adelaide recruiter Matt Rendell apologises for racial comments (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/rendell-apologises-for-racial-fracas/story-e6frf9jf-1226306434134)

jeemak
22-03-2012, 01:34 AM

Former Adelaide recruiter Matt Rendell apologises for racial comments (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/rendell-apologises-for-racial-fracas/story-e6frf9jf-1226306434134)

One party claims to be offended by comments, so the offending party apologises. That's a good outcome to a point, although the apology has been offered with plenty of mitigation.

I still believe there was absolutely no need for the AFL or Rendell to have this situation dragged through the media and I'm not convinced Rendell's comments were borne out of a racist mindset. An ignorant and flippant attitude towards the sensibilities surrounding the issue, definitely, but to have a 35 year career ruined as a result of the situation is a very serious outcome particularly considering it is acknowledged he made the comments initially on the back of improving the plight of indigenous footballers.

The AFL had better be consistent on this issue moving forwards. It has shown with the handling of Dippa's much fabled "not bad for an Abo" comments that there are other ways of dealing with ignorance towards racial issues in the game.

We have seen with Justin Sherman a more reasonable means of dealing with such ignorance and it hurt me as a Bulldogs supporter to know that one of our players was behaving like such a buffoon. He has been embarrassed and forced to acknowledge his stupidity and mistakes through the process, and has been given an opportunity to learn from his errors and make amends.

Rendell has been hunted down by the AFL and made an example of, as far as I can tell.

Remi Moses
22-03-2012, 02:49 AM

Just countering the silly comment on Demetriou.

Remi Moses
22-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Rendell's backed the truck back, rightly so.

jeemak
22-03-2012, 03:04 AM

Hey Remi, are you of the opinion Rendell's a racist though? Or ignorant?

Topdog
22-03-2012, 04:11 AM

I honestly don't get what you mean here?

Feel massively sorry for the bloke. Career and reputation tarnished because of a flippant comment that many people would make to exaggerate a point. Hunted down because Jurra got himself in trouble and questions were being asked by the AFL

Topdog
22-03-2012, 04:25 AM
LOL @ Caro in that interview. She is a terrible AD lover.

Ghost Dog
22-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Feel massively sorry for the bloke. Career and reputation tarnished because of a flippant comment that many people would make to exaggerate a point. Hunted down because Jurra got himself in trouble and questions were being asked by the AFL

Dang, I was trying to summarize it like that. Well put.

Murphy'sLore
22-03-2012, 10:30 AM
How can the AFL expect to get a frank and honest discussion of the issues if a flippant remark made in a closed room can be used to force a resignation?

Oh, though, wait. I guess they aren't really interested in a frank and honest discussion...

bornadog
22-03-2012, 10:45 AM

I feel sorry for Rendell too, but we should not be making flippant racist remarks in this day and age, otherwise we are back to the old days. Unfortunately people do and he chose to,make it in front of a person with an indigenous mother who felt they should say something.

Sedat
22-03-2012, 11:15 AM

He has forged close, rusted-on relationships with 500+ indigenous people over the years - the last thing he wants is to have the racist brush tarred all over him and jeapordise these relationships, so he had no choice really but to apologise publicly and take the full rap.

Irrespective, it was absolutely appalling that the AFL made public a private and confidential conversation, for the sole purpose of diverting attention away from their failure to retain indigenous players in the AFL system, instead placing all the focus on a grubby tabloid beat-up about racism. Nothing has been gained by outing Rendell's comments to actually assist with the problem of retaining indigenous players in the AFL system, but AD couldn't give a toss about that. He just wants to reinforce to the AFL community just how wonderful an organisation the AFL is with regard to its indigenous players, even though so many of them leave the game every year.

LostDoggy
22-03-2012, 11:41 AM
He has forged close, rusted-on relationships with 500+ indigenous people over the years - the last thing he wants is to have the racist brush tarred all over him and jeapordise these relationships, so he had no choice really but to apologise publicly and take the full rap.

Irrespective, it was absolutely appalling that the AFL made public a private and confidential conversation, for the sole purpose of diverting attention away from their failure to retain indigenous players in the AFL system, instead placing all the focus on a grubby tabloid beat-up about racism. Nothing has been gained by outing Rendell's comments to actually assist with the problem of retaining indigenous players in the AFL system, but AD couldn't give a toss about that. He just wants to reinforce to the AFL community just how wonderful an organisation the AFL is with regard to its indigenous players, even though so many of them leave the game every year.

And that private conversation took place in November. Mifsud was so incensed by it he kept it to himself until January and only then raised it as a throw away line during a meeting to discuss the AFL's failure to retain indigenous players. The AFL was in turn so incensed by it they took until last week to raise it with AFC???

I also find it interesting that both the AFL and the Adelaide FC deem it necessary to continue to go public in substantiating their actions since then, with the Chairman of AFC, this morning, making a lame attempt to justify the club's stance.

"Me thinks they doth protest too much"

Ghost Dog
22-03-2012, 11:56 AM
I feel sorry for Rendell too, but we should not be making flippant racist remarks in this day and age, otherwise we are back to the old days. Unfortunately people do and he chose to,make it in front of a person with an indigenous mother who felt they should say something.

According to him, To paraphrase what he was saying " If we don't fix our development programs, we are only going to get kids from more affluent families " ( According to him ) he used a cruel / clumsy way to put it into short hand. But ( if true ) is that a sackable offence?
A recruiter with over 20 years experience and ties to aboriginal communities. Surely he could be given the benefit of the doubt.

bornadog
22-03-2012, 12:04 PM
And that private conversation took place in November. Mifsud was so incensed by it he kept it to himself until January and only then raised it as a throw away line during a meeting to discuss the AFL's failure to retain indigenous players. The AFL was in turn so incensed by it they took until last week to raise it with AFC???

I also find it interesting that both the AFL and the Adelaide FC deem it necessary to continue to go public in substantiating their actions since then, with the Chairman of AFC, this morning, making a lame attempt to justify the club's stance.

"Me thinks they doth protest too much"

From The Age:
The meeting between Rendell, Mifsud and Fahour occurred on February 6 and Crows chief executive Steven Trigg said this week he was informed by AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou last Wednesday, before The Age story was printed on Friday. Trigg also said on radio this week that Rendell had not given offence with his one-white-parent line alone but that the tone of the entire conversation had been unacceptable.
''I've made the error - they did nothing wrong,'' Rendell said yesterday of the Crows. ''I've caused offence - not the football club.''

Maybe it was going to be kept private but the story leaked to The Age and the AFL/Adelaide had no choice but to react.

Sedat
22-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Maybe it was going to be kept private but the story leaked to The Age and the AFL/Adelaide had no choice but to react.
Who do you reckon it was leaked by? Take a wild guess....

Ozza
22-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

bornadog
22-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Who do you reckon it was leaked by? Take a wild guess....

Not sure why you are defending Rendell. Doesn't matter who leaked it, or why AD or Adelaide did what they did. At the end of the day, we cannot tolerate racist remarks in our society.

I have not seen Rendell come out and say, I did not make a racist remark, I am completely innocent, and I will fight this to the end to prove I am innocent of doing anything wrong.

Ozza
22-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Not sure why you are defending Rendell. Doesn't matter who leaked it, or why AD or Adelaide did what they did. At the end of the day, we cannot tolerate racist remarks in our society.

I have not seen Rendell come out and say, I did not make a racist remark, I am completely innocent, and I will fight this to the end to prove I am innocent of doing anything wrong.

He has admitted that it was a stupid way to emphasise his point - but you have to look at the intent of his whole discussion. He was emphasising a problem to exactly the people who should be working on the issue.

But of course the one quote becomes the whole story - rather than it being about what is actually becoming an issue in the Industry.

bornadog
22-03-2012, 12:38 PM
He has admitted that it was a stupid way to emphasise his point - but you have to look at the intent of his whole discussion. He was emphasising a problem to exactly the people who should be working on the issue.

But of course the one quote becomes the whole story - rather than it being about what is actually becoming an issue in the Industry.

We can only go by what is reported in the paper. Rendell met with Adelaide CEO and it became evident that he should resign and thats all I know;)

Ghost Dog
22-03-2012, 02:33 PM

he says as much in the interview on Telly, although in a long winded fashion.

bornadog
22-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Mifsud will tell his side tonight on Marngrook

Remi Moses
22-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Hey Remi, are you of the opinion Rendell's a racist though? Or ignorant?

I just think he was ignorant and silly.
Rendell from a distance and seeing his carry on calling out numbers and names at the draft comes across as a bit quirky.

GVGjr
22-03-2012, 09:23 PM

It should certainly be a consideration in the discussion. If Mifsud was so appalled by the comments why did it take so long to be raised with Trigg via AD?
Just remember it was AD getting Mifsud alone after the meeting to seek further clarity on a comment that he shared that got the ball rolling. If Mifsud was doing his job correctly then he should have been on the phone the same day raising this with the appropriate people within the AFL. I can't believe that Mifsud has come out of this with his own reputation intact.
He is there to represent the Indigenous cause for the AFL and yet failed to report a serious incident in a timely manner. Did he let friendship get in the way of reporting the incident or was he really not that offended by it?

I think Rendell made a stupid comment but he has also paid a huge price for it. I don't believe that an isolated comment makes him a racist.

Ghost Dog
22-03-2012, 10:16 PM
It should certainly be a consideration in the discussion. If Mifsud was so appalled by the comments why did it take so long to be raised with Trigg via AD?
Just remember it was AD getting Mifsud alone after the meeting to seek further clarity on a comment that he shared that got the ball rolling. If Mifsud was doing his job correctly then he should have been on the phone the same day raising this with the appropriate people within the AFL. I can't believe that Mifsud has come out of this with his own reputation intact.
He is there to represent the Indigenous cause for the AFL and yet failed to report a serious incident in a timely manner. Did he let friendship get in the way of reporting the incident or was he really not that offended by it?

I think Rendell made a stupid comment but he has also paid a huge price for it. I don't believe that an isolated comment makes him a racist.

bornadog
22-03-2012, 11:28 PM

I certainly haven't said he is a racist. All I am saying is society no longer tolerates comments that are racist, even if its in jest or otherwise.

Mifsud said on Marngrook, he was not happy about the conversation and what was being said. Thats good enough for me to believe him and the actions taken were correct. Rendell lost his job because he wouldn't apologise and retract his statements and paid a heavy price.

From Herald Sun full article here (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/jason-mifsud-breaks-silence-on-race-row/story-e6frf9jf-1226307691438)

Mifsud, who chose an indigenous football show on ABC TV to break his silence, said it was more than one Rendell comment that offended him during their talks early this year.

"I was uncomfortable with the meeting for a host of reasons,'' he said.

GVGjr
22-03-2012, 11:53 PM

FYI, quoting a whole post just to add 'Like' and 'This' doesn't add a lot to the discussion

Ghost Dog
23-03-2012, 12:05 AM
FYI, quoting a whole post just to add 'Like' and 'This' doesn't add a lot to the discussion

It adds four letters! :D ( Ok point taken )

Glenn Archer says in the NT press ( interesting to get the perspective from up north )

"I disagree with what was said, even though I'd like to think he didn't mean it and it was a horrible joke," Archer said.

I think a lot of things you are saying GVG are covered in this article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/rendell-not-the-only-one-with-questions-to-answer/story-fn83zgrc-1226303531509

Either Mifsud, his direct bosses in the AFL's middle management or Demetriou waited 60 days to deal with an issue that is to have zero tolerance.

Someone has not done their job at AFL House. Who? Why?

A job has certainly been done on Rendell.

GVGjr
23-03-2012, 12:06 AM
I certainly haven't said he is a racist. All I am saying is society no longer tolerates comments that are racist, even if its in jest or otherwise.

Mifsud said on Marngrook, he was not happy about the conversation and what was being said. Thats good enough for me to believe him and the actions taken were correct. Rendell lost his job because he wouldn't apologise and retract his statements and paid a heavy price.

You haven't called him that but you are laboring the point that he made a racial comment that shouldn't be tolerated. I don't think anyone has disagreed with you but Rendell paid a far bigger price than many others which you haven't acknowledged.

Seeing Mifsud apparently wasn't happy with the conversation did he explain why he let the Indigenous cause down by taking so long to report it? Did he offer an apology because he should have?
Lets face it, he only came good once AD pulled him aside and asked the right questions.

This is the reason why I don't see this issue as clear cut as others because if AD was so adamant that those sorts of comments aren't acceptable now or in 10 years time what does it say about a person employed specifically to promote the AFL and the Indigenous players within the system and yet needed to be prompted and prodded by the boss before the facts were shared?

Perhaps more than one person should have lost their job.

jeemak
23-03-2012, 01:33 AM
You haven't called him that but you are laboring the point that he made a racial comment that shouldn't be tolerated. I don't think anyone has disagreed with you but Rendell paid a far bigger price than many others which you haven't acknowledged.

Seeing Mifsud apparently wasn't happy with the conversation did he explain why he let the Indigenous cause down by taking so long to report it? Did he offer an apology because he should have?
Lets face it, he only came good once AD pulled him aside and asked the right questions.

This is the reason why I don't see this issue as clear cut as others because if AD was so adamant that those sorts of comments aren't acceptable now or in 10 years time what does it say about a person employed specifically to promote the AFL and the Indigenous players within the system and yet needed to be prompted and prodded by the boss before the facts were shared?

Perhaps more than one person should have lost their job.

Like.........OK :D

I think we're getting closer to the core of the issue aren't we? This issue has demonstrated a massive failing in process and management on the behalf of everyone involved.

The AFL has been slow to act on it, and in the process it has leaked the details of said issue (intentionally or unintentionally or not, it doesn't matter) and the outcome is a person with much respect within the industry being cut loose and ostracised.

The AFL, if they want to regain any credibility on this issue need to come clean and admit they have handled this issue in a sluggish and unprofessional manner, and demonstrate that they have put processes in place to ensure something like this does not rear its ugly head again.

You brush aside the media deals (which are a bit of a foregone conclusion in a world where cheap to make reality TV is the flavour of the month in one show towns like Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth), and take into consideration the management of the Match Review Panel, The Rules of the Game Committee and now this - amongst other things - and it's very clear the AFL is a Mickey Mouse organsiation that doesn't know what it is supposed to stand for.

We deserve a lot better as members and supporters for something we have invested significant amounts of time, passion and money into. It's time for the AFL to stop taking the piss.

Topdog
23-03-2012, 01:36 AM

Is waiting 2 months to report a conversation you were "really unhappy about" really the appropriate / correct action?

I'm very uneasy on the whole thing. Mifsud released the conversation via the Age, AD claimed it is the first he heard of it and whoever said it would want to start looking for another job. Next day it is revealed it is Rendell (so up to this point Trigg knows nothing). Meeting is called, Rendell is sacked / forced to resign.

Now Trigg knows everything about the incident and doesn't want to embarrass Rendell any further yet keeps talking to the media about it. AD didn't have any hand in the sacking yet made the remarks above and Mifsud was deeply upset with the whole conversation so much so that he said nothing about it for 2 months.

Nothing has been done to address the problem and the Jurrah story has certainly taken a back seat for now. AFL job done.

Ghost Dog
23-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Wonder how all this is playing out in the Aboriginal communities? Especially people who have dealt with this man.

It's pretty obvious Rendell has dealt with a great many people up there.
Interesting how few and far between the indigenous voices are in the media.
Andrew McCloud gave his two cents very early, when less facts were known. In the print media anyway, so few indig commentators and on mainstream TV, not a single indigenous person. Love mangrook but quite a few people I know have never heard of it, and while they punch far above their weight in the guests they get, the commentary and analysis is on a different level.

They are ALWAYS banging on about how vital the indigenous contribution is to the game. Dream-time at the G blah blah. Well surely they might find the time to add an Aboriginal voice to the mainstream TV commentary. One thing this whole mess has highlighted.

If Rendell had faced an Aboriginal commentator alongside Caroline Wilson and Gary Lyon, I think the whole tone would have been different. Western background folk sometimes get on their soap box in regard to minority culture, but by excluding aboriginal voices, there is an implicit expression of 'ownership' over it, while sometimes having have a poor understanding of it.

Topdog
23-03-2012, 06:24 AM
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/03/22/315181_footy-columnists.html

Good article.

chef
23-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Any chance we can have a 'like' button added like other forums have Gary?