PDA

View Full Version : Jim Stynes - Dies

bornadog
20-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Report coming through now. Very sad for someone so young.

Update from The Age:

Former Melbourne footballer Jim Stynes has died.

Stynes' wife Sam said confirmed the Melbourne Demons great died at 8.20am "in the comfort of his own home, surrounded by friends and family".

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou last night sent a message of support to the Brownlow medal winner and his family after it was revealed he had taken a turn for the worse.

"We hear reports that Jim Stynes is gravely ill, can you update us as to the situation?" Mike Sheahan asked the AFL chief on Fox Footy's On the Couch program.

"I can't say much other than Jim isn't well as we all know," Demetriou replied.

"And I think at this point in time our thoughts are with Jim and his family."

The 45-year-old has had brain surgery six times and more than 20 tumours removed in the past three years.

He stepped down from his role as president of Melbourne Football Club last month.

The club said this morning it was unable to comment on Stynes’ health.

The news comes less than a week after Stynes was presented with a blazer at a Melbourne Football Club commencement dinner.

‘‘Jim was there and was looking quite frail, he didn’t stay all that long but it was great to see him make it,’’ one fan said on an internet forum.

There has been an outpouring of support for Stynes on social media and the former footballer's name began trending on Twitter in Melbourne last night.

The Coon Dog
20-03-2012, 09:52 AM
What champion in every way, terribly sad news. Thoughts are with his family.

cinder
20-03-2012, 10:01 AM
The most awful news, he battled so well for so long with it. Thoughts are with his wife & young family :( :(

whythelongface
20-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Very sad news. A true champion of the game and in life. A real people's person.

RIP

Daughter of the West
20-03-2012, 10:04 AM
The most awful news, he battled so well for so long with it. Thoughts are with his wife & young family :( :(

Can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be for them, and going through it in the glare of the media as well.

Very, very sad indeed.

OLD SCRAGGer
20-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Such sad & tragic news. What a true champion Jim was, not just in football but in life..R.I.P Jim. Thoughts & prayers with his Family & Melbourne Football club

Murphy'sLore
20-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Very sad news. He was such a lovely man and contributed so much. Heart aches for his family.

Bulldog4life
20-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Such an inspirational man to those who didn't know him. I can imagine the heartache to those that did.

LostDoggy
20-03-2012, 11:10 AM
So very very sad. Could not help but shed a tear. RIP Jim and hope his family find strength to help them in this sad time.

Scraggers
20-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Had the honour of meeting him four years ago ... Truly inspirational person.

RIP Jim

neddie
20-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Slan Seamus. Ta laoch imigh se uainn. Go dtuga Dia a bheith in eineacht leat. RIP

Eastdog
20-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Very sad news. RIP Jim Stynes such a true inspiration to many people. Thoughts are with your wife and family. :(

Remi Moses
20-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Just a great person .
Very Very sad day :(

westdog54
20-03-2012, 05:18 PM
He inspired me with his feats on the field during his long, illustrious career.

He inspired me when he brought the wonderful Reach organisation to my school.

He inspired me with his courageous fight against that cancer that slowly consumed him.

He inspired me one last time in person when we had a brief chance meeting last year.

He will continue to inspire me with the legacy he leaves behind. That of an eternally courageous, selfless, dedicated and talented individual that is truly irreplacable.

Rest Peacefully Jim, your work here on earth is done.

"PARADE! ATTEN-TION!"

ratsmac
20-03-2012, 05:30 PM
What a great person who inspired so many. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Rest in Peace Jim.

LostDoggy
20-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Big in the game and much bigger in life. He has touched so many and will be sadly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. May they be comforted by the knowledge that he lived life to the fullest, never left any stone unturned, loved his family and those around him unconditionally and he is now without pain and in Gods kingdom. Well it may be goodbye it is not, so long, you will always be remembered.

AndrewP6
20-03-2012, 07:27 PM
So sad to hear this news today. A champion on and off the field, his tireless fight against the ravages of the horrible disease that took him, was more inspiring than you can express. The world is a poorer place without Jim Stynes. Deepest sympathy to his friends and family.

After fighting with every ounce of strength he could muster, may he rest in peace.

ledge
20-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Legend of the game and of life :(

Ghost Dog
20-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm going to have a beer for Jimmy Stynes. My mum has stage 4 ovarian cancer at the moment. I think his attitude had a great influence on her. She is really trying to get the most out of life, as Big Jim did- massive heart. Will be sadly missed.

Max469
20-03-2012, 09:12 PM
RIP Gentleman Jim. You were an amazing man. May you rest easy. Your legacy will live on.

LostDoggy
20-03-2012, 10:14 PM
What an amazing man he is, so sad to see him lose his fight. Everything he did on the field showed heart but the things he did off the field showed even more. He couldn't have been a better ambassador for not only afl but mankind in general. Much love to his fam and those close him, and also the whole Melbourne F.c. RIP.

The Coon Dog
20-03-2012, 10:39 PM
In the lead up to the round 4 clash, it will be Jim Stynes tribute week. We happen to play Melbourne in round 4 & whilst I'd like to win, there are more important things than a game of footy.

westdog54
20-03-2012, 11:03 PM
In the lead up to the round 4 clash, it will be Jim Stynes tribute week. We happen to play Melbourne in round 4 & whilst I'd like to win, there are more important things than a game of footy.

I'll make sure to wear a green armband if I get to go to the game. My little tribute, though not nearly enough. A black armband just wouldn't seem appropriate for a man who brought so much colour to so many lives.

BulldogBelle
20-03-2012, 11:23 PM
RIP to Jim Stynes - what an inspirational person, great footballer, fought to the very end. My heart goes out to his family.

Greystache
21-03-2012, 12:14 AM
A very sad day. Such an iron horse on the field, so sad to see him gone so young.

LostDoggy
21-03-2012, 11:05 AM
God speed Jim - a truly courageous and warm spirited man on and off the field. You fought a brave battle and taught us all so much along the way. RIP Jim.

LostDoggy
21-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm going to have a beer for Jimmy Stynes. My mum has stage 4 ovarian cancer at the moment. I think his attitude had a great influence on her. She is really trying to get the most out of life, as Big Jim did- massive heart. Will be sadly missed.

Very sad for Jims family, RIP Jim.

Sorry to hear about your Mum Ghost just a terrible thing.

jeemak
22-03-2012, 01:45 AM
Very hard and sad story to digest. Jim Stynes was an excellent example of the species, a greatly talented person that understood that using his talent for self benefit would have been wasteful in a lot of ways. Kudos to him for living an idealistic lifestyle because he could, and wanted to.

Cancer is a bitch. Nothing more, nothing less. It is unscrupulous in its targeting and attack on victims.