PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 4 vs Melbourne

Pages : 1 [2]

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 10:45 PM
He was lucky to get a run last year, how many games did he play? One of the reasons why he was at Willy so long was that he gives away careless free kicks :D

He's been better this season without having much of it. He's really struggling to get to contests around the ground. I'm a bit concerned about him around the ground actually , other teams have some super mobile big men.

Even though Minson is our no. 1 ruck man would you consider maybe Cordy be better suited for that role. Im just not sure with Minson but I don't want to judge to soon. We have to see how he goes for this season.

AndrewP6
20-04-2012, 10:47 PM
He was lucky to get a run last year, how many games did he play? 8? One of the reasons why he was at Willy so long was that he gives away careless free kicks :D

He's been better this season granted I hope it continues? I'm still a bit concerned about him around the ground actually , other teams have some super mobile big men.

So it's just the free kicks that are the problem then?.. ;)

bornadog
20-04-2012, 10:48 PM
But as a goal kicker I want him to convert not blaze away. He wastes more opportunities than he should because he appears to want to the fancy things rather than being more clinical on his conversions. Your a man who values statistics more than most so it surprises me you aren't on him more for missing gettable goals.

You didn't read all of my post

PS: Please Sherman don't try and dribble the ball along the ground:D

I hate those fancy shots at goal that don't come off.

GVGjr
20-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I can't believe we have dropped Libertore. He's got so much to offer us we should be able to work through any form issues.

Sedat
20-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I can't believe we have dropped Libertore. He's got so much to offer us we should be able to work through any form issues.His 'form issues' have gone for about 3 quarters. I'm actually in shock that he's been dropped. He offers us brilliant and creative hands in close and excellent decision-making both by hand and foot, not to mention elite clearance winning ability. He was smashed last week and may not have worked hard enough to shake the tag but the fact is that he's a 19yo who has played less than 20 games and is already getting solid defensive attention from the opposition. I remember a young Ben Cousins getting a football lesson in workrate from Libba Snr in 1997 at the WACA - Cousins has alluded to this match many times in the past as a light bulb moment for him to work harder - Libba Jnr probably learnt just as valuable a lesson last week but will be kicking the dew off the grass at Willaimstown instead of applying the lessons learnt in the senior team.

bornadog
20-04-2012, 10:58 PM
His 'form issues' have gone for about 3 quarters. I'm actually in shock that he's been dropped. He offers us brilliant and creative hands in close and excellent decision-making both by hand and foot, not to mention elite clearance winning ability. He was smashed last week and may not have worked hard enough to shake the tag but the fact is that he's a 19yo who has played less than 20 games and is already getting solid defensive attention from the opposition. I remember a young ben Cousins getting a football lesson in workrate from Libba Snr in 1997 at the WACA - Cousins has alluded to this match many times in the past as a light bulb moment for him to work harder - Libba Jnr probably learnt just as valuable a lesson last week but will be kicking the dew off the grass at Willaimstown instead of applying the lessons learnt in the senior team.

You would think the coaching staff have another reason but they are not telling us, very puzzling.

GVGjr
20-04-2012, 10:59 PM
His 'form issues' have gone for about 3 quarters. I'm actually in shock that he's been dropped. He offers us brilliant and creative hands in close and excellent decision-making both by hand and foot, not to mention elite clearance winning ability. He was smashed last week and may not have worked hard enough to shake the tag but the fact is that he's a 19yo who has played less than 20 games and is already getting solid defensive attention from the opposition.

Spot on, I can't see the logic in the selectors dropping him.

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Well if thats the case and he isn't carrying an injury then thats disappointing. As you guys have said he would be a great addition to the team. Has he been named as an emergency?

Hotdog60
20-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Could Libba be suffering from a case of legitimate general soreness, he's in and under and must be taking a bit off a pounding.

If he has been playing sore it could be the reason for a bit form drop off.

LostDoggy
20-04-2012, 11:09 PM
A lot of people have questioned our player management before, particularly young players. Perhaps we are trying to do the right thing by Libba and Smith physically.

Eastdog
20-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Could Libba be suffering from a case of legitimate general soreness, he's in and under and must be taking a bit off a pounding.

If he has been playing sore it could be the reason for a bit form drop off.

If it is legitimate general soreness then that is fine that they drop him but not if he has not got any problems. That though is another possible reason.

jeemak
21-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Can't really comment on the Adelaide game, but Libba was paid some pretty close attention last week and although he struggled dropping him is bloody stupid.

He is one of the few mids in our team who attacks when he has the ball and is a player who needs to develop at the highest level.

I posted earlier that Liberatore needed to have a good game this week to stay in for round five. His form has been very ordinary over the last two rounds, and to me it seemed he wasn't ready for some close checking that was always going to come his way after round one (and on the back of solid form last year and throughout preseason).

Developing him at the highest level is a good idea, only if he's physically up to it. If he's going to be played closely by the opposition then he'll get smashed trying to learn that at the highest level. There's not many developing midfielders that can do that in their second year, and it's not a slight on him to have to learn it at Wlliamstown. He's tired, let him refresh himself and learn.

jeemak
21-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Sherman has some pace but my knock on him is that his decision-making stinks - it always has. Not much use running and carrying when you turn it over with a poor decision. Still, nor much use having 350k running around Pt Gellibrand.

Absolutely staggered by the decision to drop Libba. Just a shocking decision IMO - we need every bit of his skill and decision making in our midfield.

Sherman's decison making isn't a lot worse than a lot of players in our side. We're a team full of slow people that have limited decision making ability, skills and running capacity. At least he tries to be creative on the back of genuine pace, and a knack for kicking a goal.

Liberatore has been terrible over the last two weeks. He's only had 19 disposals, 6 tackles and 3 inside 50's over that time. That's either a sign of a midfielder that is terribly out of form, or very tired.

I agree that we need his decision making ability and skill, though only if he's not completely rooted or out of form. He's either one or the other right now, and on the back of that the decison to drop him is fair enough.

Mantis
21-04-2012, 12:00 PM
I posted earlier that Liberatore needed to have a good game this week to stay in for round five. His form has been very ordinary over the last two rounds, and to me it seemed he wasn't ready for some close checking that was always going to come his way after round one (and on the back of solid form last year and throughout preseason).

Developing him at the highest level is a good idea, only if he's physically up to it. If he's going to be played closely by the opposition then he'll get smashed trying to learn that at the highest level. There's not many developing midfielders that can do that in their second year, and it's not a slight on him to have to learn it at Wlliamstown. He's tired, let him refresh himself and learn.

So why not let him play against the team with possibly the 2nd worst midfield going around in an effort to run him into some form?

I find it very hard to believe that a player who works as hard as Libba would be fatigued after just 3 games.

Eastdog
21-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Sherman's decison making isn't a lot worse than a lot of players in our side. We're a team full of slow people that have limited decision making ability, skills and running capacity. At least he tries to be creative on the back of genuine pace, and a knack for kicking a goal.

Liberatore has been terrible over the last two weeks. He's only had 19 disposals, 6 tackles and 3 inside 50's over that time. That's either a sign of a midfielder that is terribly out of form, or very tired.

I agree that we need his decision making ability and skill, though only if he's not completely rooted or out of form. He's either one or the other right now, and on the back of that the decison to drop him is fair enough.

He may well be not 100% fit and thus he was dropped because last year in his debut season he was very good. How do you think Sherman will go as he hasn't had the best pre-season.

LongWait
21-04-2012, 01:18 PM
We have absolutely no idea whether Libba is being rested; is playing at Willi as part of a pre-determined player rotation policy; or if there are some issues about team rules.

Reading some of the contributions on here you'd think that Bambi has been shot by a deranged lunatic.

The negativity towards the new coach on here gives me the shits.

jeemak
21-04-2012, 01:20 PM
So why not let him play against the team with possibly the 2nd worst midfield going around in an effort to run him into some form?

I find it very hard to believe that a player who works as hard as Libba would be fatigued after just 3 games.

Your second point might be self explanatory.

immortalmike
21-04-2012, 01:27 PM
We have absolutely no idea whether Libba is being rested; is playing at Willi as part of a pre-determined player rotation policy; or if there are some issues about team rules.

Reading some of the contributions on here you'd think that Bambi has been shot by a deranged lunatic.

Really? It seems to me that many are treating him exactly the same as they treated Eade.

Mantis
21-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Your second point might be self explanatory.

Perhaps I should have added that he works extremely hard on his fitness and is always up the front in the running drills.

Eastdog
21-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Macca needs to be given a chance like any other new coach.

jeemak
21-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Perhaps I should have added that he works extremely hard on his fitness and is always up the front in the running drills.

With that being the case (and I have only heard second hand reports that it is) I wouldn't be surprised if he's in need of a break.

A huge preseason and seven competitive games playing on the ball will take it out of a second year player.

Sedat
21-04-2012, 02:42 PM
We have absolutely no idea whether Libba is being rested; is playing at Willi as part of a pre-determined player rotation policy; or if there are some issues about team rules.He has been omitted according to selection. If he plays for Willy tomorrow that will be set in stone. If that's what actually transpires, I happen to disgaree vehemently with the decision for the reasons I have alluded to earlier. It is your prerogative to be happy to see Libba in the twos.

F'scary
21-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Wow. I thought I'd taken the loss hard.

sorry, maybe I got carried away just a bit. On the Sunday morning, I wasn't too bad. But then as the day went on, it just got worse and worse and I kept logging back in to express myself and it showed.

Anyway, maybe macca read my post because there has been a bit of movement in the selections.;)

jeemak
21-04-2012, 02:55 PM
He may well be not 100% fit and thus he was dropped because last year in his debut season he was very good. How do you think Sherman will go as he hasn't had the best pre-season.

I haven't managed to see him first hand this year, though I know he offers us pace and goal kicking ability based on past performance. His form at Willy seems to be trending positively so it's the right time to include him IMO.

I get frustrated with some of his decision making like most others however, he's a player with deficiencies like the majority of players in the league. The fact he carries on like a boofhead from time to time opens him up to a lot of negativity.

Eastdog
21-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I haven't managed to see him first hand this year, though I know he offers us pace and goal kicking ability based on past performance. His form at Willy seems to be trending positively so it's the right time to include him IMO.

I get frustrated with some of his decision making like most others however, he's a player with deficiencies like the majority of players in the league. The fact he carries on like a boofhead from time to time opens him up to a lot of negativity.

To me Sherman is the kind of player that can really be good but can also be really poor.

1eyedog
23-04-2012, 04:22 PM
I agree with most of your post and like DJ to get a fulll game and Wallis to get more game time then Smith this year.

But seriously Addison??? He has been the only consistant defender we have and not only does he try all day long, he has not been beaten yet and efficiency is 1 of the highest in the team. I think he has 100% efficiency against Adelaide and wouldnt be suprised if he had similar numbers against the saints. He was even presenting when Wood got caught by hayes in the backline but Wood decided to take Hayes on. Think Addison has earned his spot and should stay based on his current form.

I would have to retract my statement here and agree with you on this post and I just wanted to follow it up because I was wrong and probably judged Addision on his history rather than his current output.

I thought he was fantastic on Sunday and deserves his spot in the team. I hope his form continues.