PDA

View Full Version : Pies are a Mission

Ghost Dog
01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldogs-on-a-mission-20120430-1xv4i.html

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/04/30/3259766/art-svDOGSPIES-420x0.jpg

Liam Picken regrets not passing the ball off a little sooner.....

THE Western Bulldogs have dubbed their home clash against Collingwood on Friday night ''Mission Possible'' as they seek to topple one of the premier clubs on the field and recoup lost members.
The Bulldogs' membership has dipped to 28,000, having had 32,000 last year. The club budgeted for 33,500 this season.
Their plight is in stark contrast to the league's power clubs, such as the Magpies, who already have more than 65,000 members and continue to spruik the possibility of having 150,000 within five years.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick hopes supporters and members return to the fold and contribute to a crowd of what he hopes will be more than 40,000 at Etihad Stadium.
''Just given the numbers aren't where we like them to be, it probably increases the importance for us on Friday night to get as many fans as we can there,'' Garlick said.
''We have got 'Mission Possible', the campaign is called. We want to make Etihad Stadium a red, white and blue cauldron, get as many Dogs fans as we possibly can.''
The Dogs began their season against the West Coast Eagles at Etihad Stadium in front of 24,977, and had 28,971 show up there a fortnight later against St Kilda. The Dogs were concerned that only about 5000 Bulldog supporters were among the 33,565 who attended their away game against Melbourne in round four.
That this is one of only two Friday night games for the Dogs this season - the second is against Geelong in round nine - reinforces the need for a strong turnout to boost the bottom line.
The Dogs have begun to analyse why membership has fallen.
There are already two possible reasons for this - supporters felt the team would be on the slide and three losses to start the season reinforced their view, while tough economic conditions has meant a tightening of the belt for many in the club's traditional working-class heartland.
''We understand that perhaps there are some fans who perhaps may have expected a bit more to this stage of the season,'' Garlick said.
''But, as I said, we believe there is going to be some pretty exciting footy from our boys for the remainder of this year and beyond.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldogs-on-a-mission-20120430-1xv4i.html#ixzz1tZK2QnUR

LostDoggy
01-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I keep telling people that we need "Bums On Seats" at all home games so that we don't fill Collins' Coffers.
2 friends had Medallion Club tkts for the season opener and didn't scan their own tkts through. that meant 2 less people we could have had there.
If you're not going, give your tkts to someone to scan them through.
Lack of numbers at home games Loses us $$$$$

Dazza
01-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Surely the club shouldn't have budgeted for 33,500 members.

Blind Freddy could have told you there'd be a drop off after the disappointing season we'd just had.

Sedat
01-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Blind Freddy could have told you there'd be a drop off after the disappointing season we'd just had.
How do you reckon Garlick would have gone budgeting for less members to the board? You need to have stretch targets over and above the previous year and I don't think what was budgeted for was a particularly drastic increase on 2011. "New coach new era" should have been an exciting message to send to the supporters.

immortalmike
01-05-2012, 01:23 PM

It seems like a scare tactic to me. Nobody could be that stupid. Could they?

Hotdog60
01-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Doesn't help putting bums on seats if the members can't get their reserved seat.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2012, 07:06 PM
''We understand that perhaps there are some fans who perhaps may have expected a bit more to this stage of the season,'' Garlick said.

I wonder if the club had been a little more forthright in communicating to potential members what the likely prospects of the list in the short term were and focus dialogue on the club's medium to long term vision for a tilt at the flag instead of spinning the refresh line, then fans may be more realistic in their expectations of the team and be more willing to sign up to that vision.
But to be honest I wonder whether many potential fans are hearing the club's words, and seeing something different play out on the field, leaving them wondering whether the club hierarchy is somewhat out of touch with reality or not telling the real truth as to where our list is.

Add in the seating debacle, with reserved seat holders in certain section having to be reallocated another seat to accommodate Collingwood supporters, and to be honest I can see why some may reticent about parting with their cash to buy into the Western Front fraternity concept right now.

AndrewP6
01-05-2012, 07:28 PM

I wonder if the club had been a little more forthright in communicating to potential members what the likely prospects of the list in the short term were and focus dialogue on the clubs medium to long term vision for a tilt at the flag, instead of spinning the refresh line, then fans may be more realistic in their expectations of the team and be more willing to sign up to that vision.
But to be honest I wonder whether many potential fans are hearing the club's words, and seeing something different play out on the field, leaving them wondering whether the club hierarchy is somewhat out of touch with reality or not telling the real truth as to where our list is.

Add in the seating debacle with reserved seat holders in certain section having to be reallocated another seat to accommodate Collingwood supporters, and to be honest I can see why some may reticent about parting with their cash and buying into the Western Front fraternity concept right now.

Agree with this.

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Doesn't help putting bums on seats if the members can't get their reserved seat.

A Reserved seat means "Reserved"

LostDoggy
02-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Exactly. I have posted this on the website - waiting to see if it is 'approved' before they publish it.

FrediKanoute
02-05-2012, 10:44 PM
How do you reckon Garlick would have gone budgeting for less members to the board? You need to have stretch targets over and above the previous year and I don't think what was budgeted for was a particularly drastic increase on 2011. "New coach new era" should have been an exciting message to send to the supporters.

There is a term for that...."Knee Deep in the Big Muddy". Garlick as CEO should have done 2 things:

1) presented a budget to the Board showing a drop off and the impact that drop off would have; and

2) presented an upside plan, aimed at indicating to the Board that the club was going to work within the constraints of a lower membership budget, but the following actions would be take to increase membership above this and that any upside arising from this would be spent in the following manner.

I'd be surprised if Garlick/his CFO didn't do this.