PDA

View Full Version : Sliding rule change

Sedat
11-05-2012, 11:24 AM
In light of the AFL's hysterical overreaction in deciding to change the rule interpretation on sliding mid season, how will Crossy and Gia possibly survive in the AFL moving forward. You can add Jude Bolton to that list as well. When KB is a fierce critic of the AFL, you know that something smells decidedly fishy.

Will be very interesting to see how this issue pans out and which teams it disadvantages or advantages. Teams with slow leg speed like us will be significantly disadvantaged I suspect.

EDIT - sorry mods, please delete thread and meege this post with BAD's original thread on the topic

bornadog
11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
There is no rule change.

The umpires have been asked to enforce the current rule, ie no sliding knees and feet first.

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2012, 01:42 PM
There is no rule change.

The umpires have been asked to enforce the current rule, ie no sliding knees and feet first.

Since when has there been a rule against that?

LostDoggy
11-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Might as well be a rule change. When the afl ask the umps to take a look at players sliding in, all it means is more frees will be paid that they didn't last week.

Sedat
11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Might as well be a rule change. When the afl ask the umps to take a look at players sliding in, all it means is more frees will be paid that they didn't last week.
Exactly, thread should be called 'sliding rule interpretation'. Whatever you want to call it, there will be players that will really struggle to cope with the change - if the interpretations are strict by the umpires, guys like Crossy and Jude Bolton are prime candidates to become redundant overnight

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Exactly, thread should be called 'sliding rule interpretation'. Whatever you want to call it, there will be players that will really struggle to cope with the change - if the interpretations are strict by the umpires, guys like Crossy and Jude Bolton are prime candidates to become redundant overnight
They don't tend to go in feet first, rather head first

bornadog
11-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Since when has there been a rule against that?

You cannot slide into a player feet first or with knees, that is part of rough contact.

Maddog37
11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I feel sorry for the umps. They will be he ones to cop the most flack.

(never thought I would say that!)

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2012, 05:54 PM

I stopped bagging umpires ages ago, it's no longer their fault, the game has become un-umpirable.

chef
11-05-2012, 06:09 PM
They don't tend to go in feet first, rather head first

This.

I have no problem with them trying to phase out the baseball slide.

bornadog
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM

I stopped bagging umpires ages ago, it's no longer their fault, the game has become un-umpirable.

Couldn't agree more, the most over officiated game in the world.

Basics are out the window:

1. A real push in the back, not this touching business.

2. Throwing the ball out of packs and proper disposal - fundamentals of our game.

3. A real round the neck, not ducking into it.

Not much else other than running and bouncing and kicking the required distance for a mark.

Just work on those. Our game is no longer a contest between men. Every time you go near a player in marking or contesting for a ball, or in the ruck, you aren't able to do this and that. Barely touch someone in a marking contest and its a free. They expect these guys to be robots.

Believe me we are heading towards the same rules as in International Rules.

Ghost Dog
11-05-2012, 07:59 PM

2. Throwing the ball out of packs and proper disposal - fundamentals of our game.

Not much else other than running and bouncing and kicking the required distance for a mark.

Just work on those. Our game is no longer a contest between men. Every time you go near a player in marking or contesting for a ball, or in the ruck, you aren't able to do this and that. Barely touch someone in a marking contest and its a free. They expect these guys to be robots.

I agree. When AFL coaches start coming out, saying 'what is a free?' it's scarey.
Our game is sold on the basis of the high mark, the long kick to a contest, the run and carry, but some of the frees that are being paid are just odd.

Sockeye Salmon
11-05-2012, 08:21 PM

I love when there's a free in the ruck and every single person in the stadium - players, spectators, other umpires - all stop to see who's free it is because only the guy who blew the whistle knows who's going to get it.

1eyedog
14-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I love when there's a free in the ruck and every single person in the stadium - players, spectators, other umpires - all stop to see who's free it is because only the guy who blew the whistle knows who's going to get it.

But of course, they are the closest human being to the action who is suppose to be officiating and supposedly also the best trained. Do you think the players watch who is being held, or that the spectators can actually see what is going on at a contest?

bornadog
14-05-2012, 06:04 PM
But of course, they are the closest human being to the action who is suppose to be officiating and supposedly also the best trained. Do you think the players watch who is being held, or that the spectators can actually see what is going on at a contest?

You don't get the point.

1eyedog
14-05-2012, 06:04 PM
I agree. When AFL coaches start coming out, saying 'what is a free?' it's scarey. Our game is sold on the basis of the high mark, the long kick to a contest, the run and carry, but some of the frees that are being paid are just odd.

C'mon there are umpiring errors in every sport and coaches often feel hard done by after a loss.

1eyedog
14-05-2012, 06:08 PM
You don't get the point.

No I've read the thread and I do, I was just being a smart arse. Complaining about the rules is boring and cyclical and never gets me anywhere but back at the frustrating starting point.

I berate myself for entering a comment in a thread discussing them.

chef
14-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Was Ziebul the only player to give away a sliding free this weekend?

bornadog
14-05-2012, 06:13 PM
No I've read the thread and I do, I was just being a smart arse. Complaining about the rules is boring and cyclical and never gets me anywhere but back at the frustrating starting point.

I berate myself for entering a comment in a thread discussing them.

Love this pic after the Addison tackle:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/115202-dogs-v-roos.jpg

1eyedog
14-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Good pic.

There is no doubt that the umps are under enormous pressure.

bornadog
14-05-2012, 11:53 PM
There is no doubt that the umps are under enormous pressure.

When you are under pressure you go back to basics of our game (as stated earlier) and stop paying ridiculous free kicks.

Watching the Saints game tonight where a ball skewed off the boot travelled about 40 metres and then went out of bounce and the umpire pays a deliberate. This is just stupid and shows no common sense.

Murphy'sLore
15-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Love the expressions in that photo: Libba outraged, Picken incredulous, Murphy almost more in sorrow than in anger...