PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 7

westdog54
12-05-2012, 10:37 PM
This is the round 7 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
13-05-2012, 03:34 PM
I'd like to put an early Bankers nomination for Dylan Addisons run down of Goldstein. They still got a goal out of it but it was an inspiring effort.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Bank Sherman, Libba and Wallis for me so far

Anchor roughy and the umpiring

Maddog37
13-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Bankers

The kids.

The fringe players

The old guys.

Anchors

Baffling umpiring.

Not putting teams away(need to learn to win again)

chef
13-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Bankers

Macca. What a phenomenal job he is doing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Bankers.
Veszpresmi
I thought he has been poor for most of the year, and have been critical of him but today was a fantastic effort by Veszpremi. He went harder at the ball, and when challenged he was not crude with his disposal. He finally looks like he's getting the tank to make repeat efforts for longer periods of play.

Dickson - not only obtained value for his efforts when he had the ball, but was very good at hassling and chasing when he was without the ball as well.

Picken's efforts on Harvey was fantastic...

Anchors

I'll let it pass today.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I'd like to put an early Bankers nomination for Dylan Addisons run down of Goldstein. They still got a goal out of it but it was an inspiring effort.

Why wasn't that a free kick to us? Incorrect disposal of the ball and a great tackle. I just don't get the umpiring. Later on in the centre of the ground they paid one exactly the for the same thing?

bornadog
13-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Bankers

* Ryan Griffen - 12 inside 50's, wow this guy is a star of the AFL

* Vez, Austin, Wallis and Cordy, their best games for the club. Some great contested marks from Cordy.

* Contested possession and relentless attack on the ball. We had 50 more CP than North and 10 more clearances.

Anchors

* Cordy - shot for goal after a great mark - 20 metres out almost directly in front and kicks a point.

* Addison insisting on going for the contested mark instead of the punch - one clear incident where he should have punched but spilled the mark and North kicked a goal.

* Umpires - Step over the mark slightly, bang 50 metres, incorrect diposal of ball, give you nothing.

Raw Toast
13-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Why wasn't that a free kick to us? Incorrect disposal of the ball and a great tackle. I just don't get the umpiring. Later on in the centre of the ground they paid one exactly the for the same thing?

Yet to see the vision, but the ABC commentators were irate with this and a number of other baffling 'no holding the ball' calls in the 1st half. Apparently Gieshen was at the game and the commentators predicted there would be a lot more holding the ball calls in the 2nd half and they were correct!

Holding the ball calls this year have been even more variable week-to-week than usual.

LostDoggy
13-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Im giving a plus to Minson's don't argue to Thompson? Always makes me laugh.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Yet to see the vision, but the ABC commentators were irate with this and a number of other baffling 'no holding the ball' calls in the 1st half. Apparently Gieshen was at the game and the commentators predicted there would be a lot more holding the ball calls in the 2nd half and they were correct!

Holding the ball calls this year have been even more variable week-to-week than usual.

This wasn't holding the ball, it was incorrect disposal. The North player ran into an open goal with the ball and Addison tackled him as he tried to kick the ball, but the North player swung his leg and missed the ball and it dropped. North then ran in and soccered a goal.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Bankers
Daniel Cross. Outstanding marks
Will Minson -> Don't argue
Ryan Griffen - > Gives us much needed speed. A vital player today.
Brian Lake - > Very hard to beat in the air
Ayce Cordy - > Made every effort and showed his class in the air. Tough in some heavy clashes.
Tory Dickson - > A good, safe, set shot
Gia - > punches above his weight and is the master of positioning.
Mitch Wallis - > Very smart with his hands in close
L Dahlhaus - > Chased hard all day, outside and small but vital ones inside.
Sherman - > Plays well when we are on fire. Needs to show he can help us when our backs are against a wall .
Picken - > Just what you get every week with Liam. Shut Harvey right out.

Basically, everyone.

always right
13-05-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm going t o give wrap to a couple of blokes who normally attract criticism. Hargreaves was a ok in defense and Higgins looked the most dangerous I've seen in a while.

No anchors today. Macca would be very content.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm going t o give wrap to a couple of blokes who normally attract criticism. Hargreaves was a ok in defense and Higgins looked the most dangerous I've seen in a while.

No anchors today. Macca would be very content.

Hasn't played for us for a very long time:D

Desipura
13-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Bankers

* Ryan Griffen - 12 inside 50's, wow this guy is a star of the AFL

* Vez, Austin, Wallis and Cordy, their best games for the club. Some great contested marks from Cordy.

* Contested possession and relentless attack on the ball. We had 50 more CP than North and 10 more clearances.

Anchors

* Cordy - shot for goal after a great mark - 20 metres out almost directly in front and kicks a point.

* Addison insisting on going for the contested mark instead of the punch - one clear incident where he should have punched but spilled the mark and North kicked a goal.

* Umpires - Step over the mark slightly, bang 50 metres, incorrect diposal of ball, give you nothing.

You can add Dickson & Vespa (especially in the 3rd qtr) as playing their best games for the club.

AndrewP6
13-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Bankers

Griff - deadset star.
Crossy - some terrific marks/interceptions.
Dicko - showed what he could add to our side. Read it well, involved himself in the play.

Honourable mentions Shermanator - ran hard, provided a spark. Wallis and Libba - great signs for our midfield future. Vez - improving game by game. Gia - when he slotted his third, I hadn't realised he'd had three!

ANCHORS

Appalling umpiring - obviously, the non-call after DFA's chase and tackle was a howler. Maybe I'll have to stay home on Umpire Appreciation round ;) Tough to pick an anchor today, which is a great thing!

always right
13-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Hasn't played for us for a very long time:D

Apologies......Hargrave was outstanding.

bornadog
13-05-2012, 08:57 PM
You can add Dickson & Vespa (especially in the 3rd qtr) as playing their best games for the club.

Yes had Vez in there, and your right best game from Dickson for us.

hujsh
13-05-2012, 10:11 PM

Umpire said he had no prior opportunity. Just a massive balls-up there.

Mantis
13-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Umpire said he had no prior opportunity. Just a massive balls-up there.

That particular umpire (no.24) was pathetic..

westbulldog
13-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Anchor
Umpire no' 24 graduated with honours from the razor ray school. Commentators were universally astounded at the Goldstein "decision".

SlimPickens
13-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Bankers

Sherman- great effort today, attacked the ball with ferocity and hit the contest full tilt. Both goals were opportunistic and a real team lifter.

Wallis- Really happy with his progress is getting more comfortable at the level, used the ball generally well and was creative.

Lake- they said on after the bounce that he was involved in 52 spoils. Not sure if this is right but if it is wow. Gave Petrie a touch up today and set us up from defence.

Also really happy with Dickson, Vez, Cordy and Austins efforts today.

Anchors- More incidents/plays that annoyed.

Murphy- Demanding the ball off Grant after he took on and beat ferrito. Squaring the ball to a 50-50 contest in the middle of the ground and resulting in a turnover and eventually a north goal.

Goal line pressure- it really shits me watching opposition defenders take uncontested marks in our goal square. Happened on a number of occasions and would have loved a more physically presence from Gia, Cordy, Minson, Higgins and Grant on these occasions. (Not limited to just these players).

Griffen- had a great game but please leave the left foot out of the equation. Only minor but doesn't look comfortable using it at all.;)

Doc26
13-05-2012, 10:49 PM
That particular umpire (no.24) was pathetic..

On the flipside, the Rob Sitch lookalike is the ump who I struggle with, who seems too often to get caught up in the theatrics of blowing his whistle at 50/50 contests rather than applying some benefit of doubt to his perceived transgressor.

comrade
13-05-2012, 11:08 PM
An unsung banker for me:

Dylan Addison's disposal was very good today. Only had it 13 times but hit some long targets out of defense.

He's doing everything asked of him at the moment.

Greystache
14-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Bankers

Sherman- Worked as hard as any player on the field and gave us a spark

Dickson- Could be a breakout game for him

McCartney- I'm loving the hard edge we're playing with, the players look so hungry

Anchors

Not much really

Murphy- Some of his switching of play has been horrendous

Boyd- Was good but his kicks it blindly a lot, even under no pressure art times

Umpiring- We had some flogs out there today

jeemak
14-05-2012, 01:07 AM
On the back of only seeing the second half of the game on the box due to lunch commitments:

Bankers:

Vez - Thought he worked pretty hard today and provided some run and polish. Needs to back up recent performances with a consistent run of form.

Sherman - It's been a while since I've seen a Bulldogs player hit the front and centre position with such pace and hunger, good to see two solid finishes as well (though I heard he was wasteful early).

Cordy's Marking - He just needs to get used to taking marks, and improving bit by bit as he develops.

Anchors:

Clean sheet this week. There were a couple of patches of play where individuals didn't perform as they should, though with only seeing half a game nobody stood out as being particularly ordinary.

Eastdog
14-05-2012, 02:15 AM

That was a great effort from Addision there showing how much pressure we put on North.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-05-2012, 09:21 AM
That was a great effort from Addision there showing how much pressure we put on North.

It was Brian Cordy like. He ran down Bernie Quinlan in a similar way.

Ozza
14-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Bankers:

Mitch Wallis - terrific game. Between him and Libba - there's a lot of talk about the qualities they don't have - with the regular comment about our 'one paced, slow mids' - but they have some brilliant qualities and they are the right kind of blokes to have. Tough, hard working, great and hands and decision making in close. And Wallis in particular, appears to have leadership all over him - so much direction to his team mates around the stoppages, and the kid has only played a dozen games or so.

Veszpremi - really adds a bit of dash and dare off half back. I like that his first instinct is to take on the opposition, take on the tackler, rather than handballing it off instantly and making it someone else's problem.

Gia - I don't often sit behind the goals, but this week our tickets were behind the sticks on level 2 - and Gia's smarts were great to watch.

Macca - had a good day. On that evidence - has the kids playing the right way.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Anchor
Umpire no' 24 graduated with honours from the razor ray school. Commentators were universally astounded at the Goldstein "decision".

This was almost in front of me, I was to the left behind the goals. I really think it was so split it could have been called Goal, Holding the ball or even push in the back. Either way one club was always going to be p*ssed.

Anchors (Without mentioning how good the best really were)

Picken for destroying Boomer yet again. Has had his measure for years! Still remember Pickens first game I believe on Boomer :D

Austin beating Edwards who usually does well against us - With Markovic down he has really stepped up, he isnt your 25 possie defender he's your classic defender with brilliant spoiling work.

always right
14-05-2012, 01:07 PM
This was almost in front of me, I was to the left behind the goals. I really think it was so split it could have been called Goal, Holding the ball or even push in the back. Either way one club was always going to be p*ssed.

I know everyone sees things differently but are you serious? Goldstein ended up on his back. I thought Addison did everything right considering the momentum he hit Goldstein with. He actually managed to turn Goldstein in the tackle. As soon as a player marks and chooses to play on, prior opportunity goes out the window.

Twodogs
14-05-2012, 01:51 PM
It was Brian Cordy like. He ran down Bernie Quinlan in a similar way.

It was Michael Conlan. Round 21 1983 Western Oval halfway through the third quarter. It was a game changer. We'd wasted a huge gale in the second quarter and Fitzroy went into halftime with a 4 or 5 goal break with the wind advantage in the third. Conlan broke free on the half forward line and was streaming into an open goal when Brian ran him down.

Our sponsor Eastcoast had promised the players $21, 000 if they won the last three games. We won the first one at Moorabin against St Kilda after being 39 points down at 3/4 time. Then we had the Fitzroy game at home. The guy who owned Eastcoast walked into the rooms at halftime with $14 000 cash in a briefcase, climbed onto a table and told the players it was theirs if they beat Fitzroy.

Mofra
14-05-2012, 01:51 PM
I know everyone sees things differently but are you serious? Goldstein ended up on his back. I thought Addison did everything right considering the momentum he hit Goldstein with. He actually managed to turn Goldstein in the tackle. As soon as a player marks and chooses to play on, prior opportunity goes out the window.
^ Yup. Textbook tackle, Goldstein even had a sneaky look back as he ran with the ball.
That decision was a howler, clearly holding the ball should have been paid.

always right
14-05-2012, 01:56 PM
It was Michael Conlan. Round 21 1983 Western Oval halfway through the third quarter. It was a game changer. We'd wasted a huge gale in the second quarter and Fitzroy went into halftime with a 4 or 5 goal break with the wind advantage in the third. Conlan broke free on the half forward line and was streaming into an open goal when Brian ran him down.

Our sponsor Eastcoast had promised the players $21, 000 if they won the last three games. We won the first one at Moorabin against St Kilda after being 39 points down at 3/4 time. Then we had the Fitzroy game at home. The guy who owned Eastcoast walked into the rooms at halftime with $14 000 cash in a briefcase, climbed onto a table and told the players it was theirs if they beat Fitzroy.

Are you sure? My recollection is that it was Magic McLean, who was one of my favourites and was probably one of the quickest blokes we've ever had at the club. The true test of pace is how quick they are when they are chasing. Lots of blokes look quick when they have the ball in hand.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Yeah fair call im gunna watch the replay tonight I was looking at it as if he launched and fell into his back. Don't know why footballers think playing on 15m out is a good idea.

OLD SCRAGGer
14-05-2012, 02:59 PM
If you listen to umpire as he and Picken are running back to centre, the ump says " I'll tell you again Liam..he didn't have prior opportunity :eek: :eek: WTF..I thought he took 3-4 steps..and that's NOT prior opportunity..well bugger me

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-05-2012, 03:15 PM

Of couse I have probably mixed it all up but I had it in my head that Quinlan was going for his 100th goal that game and Cordy's tackle stopped him getting it. I also think it was around 1990. Great game we were going nuts down at the Barkly St goals (more than usual). What happened to our Eastcoast sponsorship - I certainly bought enough of those high waisted flares.

always right
14-05-2012, 04:18 PM
If you listen to umpire as he and Picken are running back to centre, the ump says " I'll tell you again Liam..he didn't have prior opportunity :eek: :eek: WTF..I thought he took 3-4 steps..and that's NOT prior opportunity..well bugger me

You're correct....that is prior opportunity and that doesn't even allow for the fact he had taken the mark and had the chance of going back for his kick. By playing on he negated any right to prior opportunity.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2012, 05:16 PM
You're correct....that is prior opportunity and that doesn't even allow for the fact he had taken the mark and had the chance of going back for his kick. By playing on he negated any right to prior opportunity.

Some great photos of the incident in the HUN. Three photos devoted to that one tackle and I hope the umpires are red faced.

Sedat
14-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Watched the game on replay last night and I was very impressed with Dahlhaus' blue collar efforts. Some of his work with his hands in the clinches was exceptional, up there with Wallis and Libba on the night. We didn't see the trademark run and carry plays from him but what I saw was someone very comfortable in the heat of the kitchen. Also pleasently surprised by Sherman's decision making - much better. Austin also surprised me greatly with his reading of the ball in the air and made some fantastic spoils.

AndrewP6
14-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Some great photos of the incident in the HUN. Three photos devoted to that one tackle and I hope the umpires are red faced.

I hope the one who ignored it gets the sack.

AndrewP6
14-05-2012, 07:28 PM

No offence, but this made me laugh. It was clearly, undoubtedly, unequivocally a shocking non-decision. No ifs, buts or maybe's - incorrect disposal was the ONLY call that should have been made.

Anchors (Without mentioning how good the best really were)

Picken for destroying Boomer yet again. Has had his measure for years! Still remember Pickens first game I believe on Boomer :D

Austin beating Edwards who usually does well against us - With Markovic down he has really stepped up, he isnt your 25 possie defender he's your classic defender with brilliant spoiling work.

I think you mean Bankers?

azabob
14-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Watched the game on replay last night and I was very impressed with Dahlhaus' blue collar efforts. Some of his work with his hands in the clinches was exceptional, up there with Wallis and Libba on the night. We didn't see the trademark run and carry plays from him but what I saw was someone very comfortable in the heat of the kitchen. Also pleasently surprised by Sherman's decision making - much better. Austin also surprised me greatly with his reading of the ball in the air and made some fantastic spoils.

I think Dahlhaus was always comfortable in the kitchen, which I think lead to all the clubs over looking him in the national draft. He is a very good all round player.

LostDoggy
14-05-2012, 08:06 PM
No offence, but this made me laugh. It was clearly, undoubtedly, unequivocally a shocking non-decision. No ifs, buts or maybe's - incorrect disposal was the ONLY call that should have been made.

Yes. Anchors. My bad.

Fair call. Just went and watched the replay, I clearly wasn't looking at the incorrect disposal my reaction was based on Addison's leap into his back. Got it wrong. Umpire said to Picken "Didn't have prior opportunity" Dunstall (I believe) pointed out that he played on, theres your prior, shocking decision.

EasternWest
14-05-2012, 11:35 PM

Holy hell. I'm watching the replay now and that is a stunner.

The bit that got me: as the umpire is running back to the square talking to Picken he says "I'll tell you again Liam, he never had prior opportunity". That in itself is stunning, but then on the umpires mic you can clearly hear the other umpire say "fantastic decision (and his name, but that's a bit muffled)".

The mind boggles.

jeemak
14-05-2012, 11:59 PM

Do they still allow leniency for the ball being knocked out in the tackle? If they do, then maybe I could understand the umpire thinking this was the case............nah, it was so clearly incorrect disposal after having prior opportunity it wasn't funny.

Umpire got it wrong, and his boss needs to say in public that was the case, as it's decisions like this that really frustrate supporters.

EasternWest
15-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Bankers

Dickson - Goals aside, seems to be a canny footballer.
Sherman and Vez - They both have deficiencies in their games that need improvement, but they were both good today and provide us with something different that we sorely need. Should both play every game this year if form warrants it.
Cordy - Got smashed by McIntosh in a big shirtfront. Got up, took a breath, got on with it.

Anchors

Roughead - When I played basketball I used to say that big guys were the bane of my existence. It wasn't so much that they made more or worse mistakes than anyone else, it was that they looked clunkier and were more likely to hurt themselves or a teammate doing it. Roughy's attempt to knock out our best player in Griffen today was ugly to watch, and I think after seeing the replay he'll be advised to let the guy run on to it next time.

Danny Frawley - There's no Hargraves in our team.

hujsh
15-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Or Daniel Boyd who I heard get a mention

chef
15-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Or Daniel Boyd who I heard get a mention

That made me laugh. Brad Boyd, Daniel Boyd and Matthew Boyd, I guess he gets enough of the ball for 3 players.

Ozza
15-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Roughead - When I played basketball I used to say that big guys were the bane of my existence. It wasn't so much that they made more or worse mistakes than anyone else, it was that they looked clunkier and were more likely to hurt themselves or a teammate doing it. Roughy's attempt to knock out our best player in Griffen today was ugly to watch, and I think after seeing the replay he'll be advised to let the guy run on to it next time.

I had a very good view of that one- and I think it was just unlucky.
Roughy had every right to still be after the footy in that situation - both had eyes for the footy and it was only a matter of split seconds after the ball came off the pack.
If anything - I thought it was Roughy's ball - as he had momentum and could have gathered and handballed to someone around the 50m arc who had a full view of the options or the goals.

SlimPickens
15-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Roughy had every right to still be after the footy in that situation - both had eyes for the footy and it was only a matter of split seconds after the ball came off the pack.
If anything - I thought it was Roughy's ball - as he had momentum and could have gathered and handballed to someone around the 50m arc who had a full view of the options or the goals.

Not to mention Wells pushed Griffen forward to further enhance his momentum. Pretty dangerous by Wells and missed by the umps.

SlimPickens
15-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Just finished watching the replay and wanted to give some banker love to Will Minson- Some of his tap work was absolutely first class.

Bulldog Joe
15-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Just finished watching the replay and wanted to give some banker love to Will Minson- Some of his tap work was absolutely first class.

Very good game by Wilbur.

Just can't understand how they worked out the stats with Goldstein and McIntosh both clearly beaten, but no joy for the Dream Team points with Will.

Ozza
15-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Good call Slim. Big Will was very good - and shouldered the ruck work for the vast majority of the day.

EasternWest
15-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Fair enough. I saw it differently. I thought Griff running on to it towards goal probably had right of way, but no problem with what you said. TBH it was probably made to look worse for Roughy by Wells giving Griff a little shove from behind.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-05-2012, 05:13 PM
I think maybe The Banker has learnt how to pull a few strings up there. Hopefully he can keep pulling them.

comrade
15-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Gotta give some Banker love to Gia. I've been critical of him this year; he's slowed down plenty and he doesn't get much of it....

But every touch he does get is pretty much effective and his body positioning on the weekend helped put his teammates in scoring positions. No better example than the goal Higgins kicked running into the square. Gia stayed down in a marking contest, kept his feet under pressure when the ball hit the turf and just got a hand on it to hit it to Higgins advantage, allowing him the easy conversion.

It won't be marked on the stats sheet but without him, we wouldn't have scored.

Hopefully he's easing into the year and his body will allow him to impact more contests. His level of nous is sorely needed in our team.

Cyberdoggie
15-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Plenty of Bankers obviously:

Will: too strong and excellent tap work, a lot less of the bang it as far as he can days of his youth this year.

Vez: The game against melbourne he was very soft and pulled out of a few contests when he needed hit hard, and apart from his skills he wasn't impacting the game much.

Last 2 weeks he's clearly worked out or been told to turn around and run with the ball and gee he looks much better when he does. He's never going to be a Addison type of bang and crash player but if he can keep generating run like that he'll have a spot in the team.

If only he can get that extra 5 or so more disposals a game now and he'll take a lot of focus off Murphy.

Greystache
15-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Gotta give some Banker love to Gia. I've been critical of him this year; he's slowed down plenty and he doesn't get much of it....

But every touch he does get is pretty much effective and his body positioning on the weekend helped put his teammates in scoring positions. No better example than the goal Higgins kicked running into the square. Gia stayed down in a marking contest, kept his feet under pressure when the ball hit the turf and just got a hand on it to hit it to Higgins advantage, allowing him the easy conversion.

It won't be marked on the stats sheet but without him, we wouldn't have scored.

Hopefully he's easing into the year and his body will allow him to impact more contests. His level of nous is sorely needed in our team.

He also threw himself into Higgins' persuing opponent as he was going to ground taking him out and allowing Higgins to stroll into an open goal.

Desipura
15-05-2012, 09:11 PM
He also threw himself into Higgins' persuing opponent as he was going to ground taking him out and allowing Higgins to stroll into an open goal.
Did he not also allow Cordy a relatively free run at a mark about 20 metres out?

F'scary
15-05-2012, 09:50 PM
3 Bankers:

(I'm looking at the up and comers) Austin, Dickson & Cordy for all looking like they belong in the top flight.

3 Anchors:

Kicking at goal by some of our forwards: Grant, Cordy & Roughead.

Considering we have Jones out who is known to be a 50/50 kick at goal, it's a real problem for us and could well cost us some matches this year if these guys don't improve their set shots. May have already with the Adelaide game which was pretty close.