PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 9 vs Geelong

Greystache
19-05-2012, 02:24 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for Friday's match against Geelong at Etihad Stadium?

As always. as brief explanation for your changes would be good.

GVGjr
19-05-2012, 11:26 PM
We have to look at dropping Skinner and Smith and I would look at Djerrkura and maybe Howard

The Coon Dog
19-05-2012, 11:56 PM
We have to look at dropping Skinner and Smith and I would look at Djerrkura and maybe Howard

Cooney? If he's fit too, who else makes way? Addison may be out too, depending on chook lotto this week.

LostDoggy
20-05-2012, 12:07 AM

Any reason?
I didn't think Smith was that bad. Maybe a sub chance against Geelong?

jeemak
20-05-2012, 02:32 AM

If DJ is fit he should come in, maybe for Smith.

Looking at Geelong's rucks I think we'll need to go in with all of Roughead, Cordy and Minson, so I'd bring in Roughead for Skinner.

Not really sure if Howard is up to coming in after such a long break with only on game under his belt as of the end of the weekend, though if he smashes it tomorrow maybe he'll put his name up for selection.

Veszpremi has been playing well prior to missing due to a groin issue (unless I've not seen information suggesting he's going to miss more than one game), so he probably deserves to be included as well.

Like always, the Match Committee thread is hard to post in with any certainty prior to Tuesday.

Sedat
20-05-2012, 09:23 AM
It's only a 5 day break between Willy's game today and the Geelong game on Friday night, so I only expect any inclusions to come from those who didn't play at all this weekend.

LostDoggy
20-05-2012, 09:32 AM
It's only a 5 day break between Willy's game today and the Geelong game on Friday night, so I only expect any inclusions to come from those who didn't play at all this weekend.

Thats Roughhead, DJ, Cooney?

The Pie Man
20-05-2012, 09:41 AM

And Veszpremi - would be a no brainer for Addison should he get done

Sedat
20-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah, and Vesz. I'd imagine at least 2-3 changes based on the travel to Darwin, the humid conditions and the fact that this is the 2nd consecutive 6 day break coming up.

G-Mo77
20-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, and Vesz. I'd imagine at least 2-3 changes based on the travel to Darwin, the humid conditions and the fact that this is the 2nd consecutive 6 day break coming up.

I think you're right, there will be around that many and maybe some surprising changes. I've given up trying to guess the changes. Macca's rotations are making me look like a fool. :)

On that note from the sounds of it Wally wasn't to good after the match.

Hotdog60
20-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I think you're right, there will be around that many and maybe some surprising changes. I've given up trying to guess the changes. Macca's rotations are making me look like a fool. :)

I actually thought he looked a bit weird singing the club song. But saying that it's the first time I've notice him in the circle, maybe that how he is.

Ghost Dog
20-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Didn't look good fitness wise? or how do you mean G-Mo77?

G-Mo77
20-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Apparently throwing up a lot after the game according to Brian Lake via Twitter.

Ghost Dog
20-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Apparently throwing up a lot after the game according to Brian Lake via Twitter.

Gosh. Thanks Brian. I'm sure if I took a bad turn after a game, I wouldn't want the whole world ( including opposition strategists ) to know about it!

G-Mo77
20-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Gosh. Thanks Brian. I'm sure if I took a bad turn after a game, I wouldn't want the whole world ( including opposition strategists ) to know about it!

I wouldn't read to much into it, there is vision of players throwing up during the game all the time. Dehydration is what it would be and I'm sure he's not the only one. The trip will be taxing especially on the younger guys so a couple of them may be missing on Friday.

Rocco Jones
20-05-2012, 11:35 AM
B-Mac seems to be into rotating 2-3 fringe players a week anyway. A lot will depend on how guys pull up from last night of course.

Roughy in for Jones/Cordy.

Coons, Vez and DJ all back in if they are fit. I agree that Willi's 5 day break will affect their selection chances. Maybe one as a sub at most.

Could we go in with one less tall to help add to our run?

Bulldog Joe
20-05-2012, 12:10 PM
If fit Cooney, DJ, Vesz and Roughy should all come in.

The outs depend on how the players are at recovery. Simply need to rest those that struggle with recovery, regadless of who they are.

bornadog
20-05-2012, 12:11 PM

We have had 5, 6 day breaks in 8 matches.

azabob
20-05-2012, 12:47 PM
B-Mac seems to be into rotating 2-3 fringe players a week anyway. A lot will depend on how guys pull up from last night of course.

Roughy in for Jones/Cordy.

Coons, Vez and DJ all back in if they are fit. I agree that Willi's 5 day break will affect their selection chances. Maybe one as a sub at most.

Could we go in with one less tall to help add to our run?

If we go in with one less tall from last nights team we become very short. I'd be inclined to keep the same structure height wise, perhaps Roughead for Cordy depending how Cordy pulls up. If Addison is not suspended I'd look to drop Smith and bring another runner in, such as Cooney, DJ or Vez. I think Vez needs to come in as soon as he can due to his run, carry and kicking ability.

Rocco Jones
20-05-2012, 01:32 PM
If we go in with one less tall from last nights team we become very short. I'd be inclined to keep the same structure height wise, perhaps Roughead for Cordy depending how Cordy pulls up.

Yep, you're right. I forgot a tall went out for Jones this week.

jazzadogs
20-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Did anyone notice an incident between Minson and Bennell? The only possible report I remember from last night was Addison on Bennell (which I don't think should be reported anyway), but a friend told me Will is going to get rubbed out??

Watching the replay at the moment and Gia pulls up lame at one point in the last quarter. Looked like he was having knee troubles. Possible out?

Hotdog60
20-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Did anyone notice an incident between Minson and Bennell? The only possible report I remember from last night was Addison on Bennell (which I don't think should be reported anyway), but a friend told me Will is going to get rubbed out??

Watching the replay at the moment and Gia pulls up lame at one point in the last quarter. Looked like he was having knee troubles. Possible out?

I remember a little push and shove at one stage but nothing in it, the umpire was close and told them to settle down.

AndrewP6
20-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Watching the game today (recorded last night)... the Fox Footy commentary is embarrassing. Aside from the 'old boys club' who spend most of the game recalling each other's past games, Dermott Brereton's work as Pickers lined up for goal "We know he won't make the distance"... Liam slots it from about 55m... Dermie follows up with "Gee he's a good kick"... Pathetic.

G-Mo77
20-05-2012, 02:45 PM

I thought it was Addison that left Bennell with a sore tummy.

Rocco Jones
20-05-2012, 02:59 PM
I think the Will 'incident' involved Ablett. He rubbed Junior's face into the ground. The knock on Harley was definitely by DFA.

SonofScray
20-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I think the Will 'incident' involved Ablett. He rubbed Junior's face into the ground. The knock on Harley was definitely by DFA.

Between that and Grant smashing his knee through the defenders head, I really managed to enjoy the game we put together in spite of atrocious skills and conditions. I love seeing our players really push the boundaries and play nasty, tough footy. May it long continue and may many more opponents bleed and hobble away from the contest.

Rocco Jones
20-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Between that and Grant smashing his knee through the defenders head, I really managed to enjoy the game we put together in spite of atrocious skills and conditions. I love seeing our players really push the boundaries and play nasty, tough footy. May it long continue and may many more opponents bleed and hobble away from the contest.

Our treatment of Ablett and Bennell was rather '97 'Wog Squad' like.

AndrewP6
20-05-2012, 06:23 PM

Would opinions differ if Will was penalised with a free kick, or if Addison gets rubbed out? I think so - Will would be criticised for 'another' dumb free kick. I'm all for toughness, but the only thing which prevented Minno giving away a free was umpire ineptitude. You can't just shove a bloke's head into the ground.

SonofScray
20-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Would opinions differ if Will was penalised with a free kick, or if Addison gets rubbed out? I think so - Will would be criticised for 'another' dumb free kick. I'm all for toughness, but the only thing which prevented Minno giving away a free was umpire ineptitude. You can't just shove a bloke's head into the ground.

No. I am not one of those guys that get stuck into Will on those grounds, I think most people who do that might struggle with their understanding of the game. In fact I think he is treated harshly by the umpires.

At every opportunity I want to see our players inflict pain on the opposition. You can do that in many ways without giving away frees and if you do give away a free you can still be smart about it in the context of the game, where it occurs, who it involves etc.

Now, there'll be a few people who read this and want to take the moral high ground. Losers in other words. But to appease them I'll take the edge off it, inflicting pain isn't limited to physical play, 'dirty' acts and targeting players, it mean taking chances in front of goal, general ruthlessness with application. There's room for it all, thats 'total' footy. Acknowledging and excelling in each facet of footy, even the unsavoury ones.

SonofScray
20-05-2012, 06:47 PM

:D More please. Make people hate us again.

LongWait
20-05-2012, 07:01 PM
:D More please. Make people hate us again.

I'm with you - "bullies by name and bullies by nature" is just fine with me!

BulldogBelle
20-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Ahh the Wog Squad

Add Southern, Dent, Kretiuk etc we had a few rough nuts in that side

Was great to watch!

LostDoggy
20-05-2012, 08:11 PM
No real injuries , Hargrave got a stinger on his hip , I think Gia got one on his knee , I havn,t heard anything about anyone else , I saw Cooney today and he was moving ok same with Marko but I think Marko will play with Willi first

Greystache
20-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Ins- Roughead, Cooney, Vezspremi
Out- Jones, Smith, Addison

Jones is struggling and has been for a while, I think Cordy can play his role with Roughead as the 2nd ruck/resting forward. Coney in for Smith. Addison I think will get 2 weeks reduced to 1, so Vez should come in for him, however I'd prefer Addison in the team.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Jones is struggling and has been for a while, I think Cordy can play his role with Roughead as the 2nd ruck/resting forward. Coney in for Smith. Addison I think will get 2 weeks reduced to 1, so Vez should come in for him, however I'd prefer Addison in the team.

These changes make sense. Our forward line looked better against North Melbourne without Jones.Jones poor form didn't justify selection last night in Darwin.Cooney if fit is an automatic selection.
Veszpremi looked good against North in probably his best senior game.

1eyedog
20-05-2012, 09:08 PM

I agree, that's how I would have it too, our only point of difference is that I would prefer Vez. His skills and carry are slightly more important than Addison's toughness and durability imo.

bornadog
20-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Happy to leave Skinner in? I wouldn't mind giving him more game time to see what he can do.

bornadog
20-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I agree, that's how I would have it too, our only point of difference is that I would prefer Vez. His skills and carry are slightly more important than Addison's toughness and durability imo.

Might need Addison against some of the Geelong smalls.

G-Mo77
20-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Could a surprise selection like a Panos or Hill come into play if Jones is omitted? It's very top heavy down there at Willy and I'd struggle to see how Jones could find form with so many others in the same position.

I think it was you or GVG mentioned some backline duties could help. It wouldn't hurt to give him some time there.

Greystache
20-05-2012, 09:18 PM

He's certainly a better kick, but he's nowhere near as good as Addison in locking down a dangerous forward, so i suppose it comes down to who we're playing more than anything. Geelong has a number of dangerous small/midsized forwards, so I hope he doesn't get suspended this week.

Greystache
20-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Could a surprise selection like a Panos or Hill come into play if Jones is omitted? It's very top heavy down there at Willy and I'd struggle to see how Jones could find form with so many others in the same position.

I think it was you or GVG mentioned some backline duties could help. It wouldn't hurt to give him some time there.

If Jones went back to Williamstown he'd be the prime target up forward, the other talls would play second fiddle to him so I don't think it'd be an issue. From a team balance perspective I agree about being top heavy, so I'd expect one of the talls to be dropped, most likely Redpath.

Depending where his confidence is at a spell in defence may not be a bad thing if it's low. If not I'd play him forward, he has the ability to tear a game apart at VFL level, one big game could have him back in form.

Greystache
20-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Happy to leave Skinner in? I wouldn't mind giving him more game time to see what he can do.

I think we should. I didn't think his form warranted a game, but I think it would be unfair to promote him, give him a quarter, then drop him again. We did it last year and he really fell away after that.

Ovatheboarder
20-05-2012, 09:50 PM
My thought is Zephy wasn't a genuine emergency.
We only take 1 emerg interstate and being Indigenous round and playing Gold Coast he would have been up there for promotional work. Has played every game in the VFL this year, correct me if Im wrong, so if he wasn't required then it prob would have been his "turn" for a rest.

GVGjr
20-05-2012, 10:49 PM
I think we should. I didn't think his form warranted a game, but I think it would be unfair to promote him, give him a quarter, then drop him again. We did it last year and he really fell away after that.

Skinner needs to earn it before we promote him though and he just doesn't deserve to be in it at the moment. If his form drops back at Williamstown it really would be a sign that he isn't ready.

I don't believe we can afford to carry anyone over the next couple of weeks so I'd play the guys who are best equipped to perform.

Onto to another matter, how would Jones go matched on young Hawkins next week?

The Bulldogs Bite
20-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Onto to another matter, how would Jones go matched on young Hawkins next week?

I think Jones would get absolutely monstered.

His positioning has always been average, but this year it has been awful. I know that as a defender he'll be led to the ball, but Hawkins is far too strong.

I am surprised that some supporters want to find a way to keep Jones in the side. He has been really poor all year -- he needs to go back to the VFL and apply his trade there. When he gains some touch and confidence, bring him back. At the moment though, he's offered the least of any player thus far in 2012.

Roughy needs to return and I would think Cooney and Vesz too.

Not sure about DJ, personally.

1eyedog
20-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Agreed we cannot carry any players.

The way Jones has been running under the ball all year? I admit part of this is a product of delivery but I would be very, very alarmed if I saw Jones on Hawkins. The latter is too strong, is reading the ball well through the air and the delivery will be too clean next Friday night.

AndrewP6
20-05-2012, 11:13 PM
I think Jones needs a spell in the Magoos. I like the guy, and at times he's not been helped by delivery or our lack of F50 structure, but at the moment he's not going well at all (that could be understating). Put him back at Willy, get him the ball (and hopefully a few 'sausage rolls') and bring him back in when he's up and about.

If he was on Hawkins this weekend, he'd get belted. No thanks.

1eyedog
20-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I think Jones would get absolutely monstered.

His positioning has always been average, but this year it has been awful. I know that as a defender he'll be led to the ball, but Hawkins is far too strong.

I am surprised that some supporters want to find a way to keep Jones in the side. He has been really poor all year -- he needs to go back to the VFL and apply his trade there. When he gains some touch and confidence, bring him back. At the moment though, he's offered the least of any player thus far in 2012.

Roughy needs to return and I would think Cooney and Vesz too.

Not sure about DJ, personally.

You beat me too it. I'm concerned about Pods and Tomahawk, only Lake matches them in strength. I think Marko is a better match up than Austin on either one of the them but I am worried about whether Marko will be 'on'.

Hotdog60
20-05-2012, 11:17 PM
I would think Lake will be on Hawkins. Austin on Pods, do we think Picken will get Selwood.

bornadog
20-05-2012, 11:22 PM
I would think Lake will be on Hawkins. Austin on Pods, do we think Picken will get Selwood.

I would love to see Picken on Selwood, two hard nuts.

westdog54
21-05-2012, 02:14 AM

Without pre-empting the match preview I reckon you've pretty much got it.

Bobby to play on Stevie J in Morris' absence?

Two weeks ago I was against Jones going back to the VFL but having watched as much as I did on Saturday night he needs to regain some confidence and I think a game or two at Willy is the way to go about it.

Remi Moses
21-05-2012, 02:26 AM

Good about Bloody Time!
Loved how they pummeled Jnr Ablett

bornadog
21-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Bobby to play on Stevie J in Morris' absence?

I think Hargrave will take Stevie J?

1eyedog
21-05-2012, 10:05 AM
I think Hargrave will take Stevie J?

Yes a much better match up. we will get absolutely no drive from Murph on SJ and with Wood out we need all we can get. Lake has to go to Hawkins, Marko/Austin would get pummeled. JPod is nowhere near as physical as Hawkins.

Rance Fan
21-05-2012, 11:21 AM
In
How bout Moles back in against his old side!
Cooney and Roughie also.

Out
Whoever's sore and/or exhausted from NT

bornadog
21-05-2012, 12:21 PM
In
How bout Moles back in against his old side!
Cooney and Roughie also.

Out
Whoever's sore and/or exhausted from NT

Apparently Moles played well yesterday. I wasn't there but the report in The Age was positive.

LostDoggy
21-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Think there is a combination of things working against Jonesy at the moment.

He's having to play on the best defenders at a very young age, the delivery isn't the best and he's possibly slightly down on confidence. I think he'll be ok but we need to be patient.

comrade
21-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Apparently Moles played well yesterday. I wasn't there but the report in The Age was positive.

Moles has found his level at VFL.

LostDoggy
21-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Addison has been offered 1 week for bumping by the MRP.

Brent Harvey has been giving a reprimand for punching an opponent in the face.

How the hell do they come up with some decisions?? Wow......

Who comes in for Addo, Vez maybe?

1eyedog
21-05-2012, 05:46 PM

I think Vez will come in anyway, maybe for Smith. Could DJ go lockdown on a small Geelong forward? Stokes?

G-Mo77
21-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Addison's charge was striking. I knew he'd get a week for it but like you Tama, what I'm fuming about is that little turd Brent Harvey hit his opponent in the head and he gets to play this week. :mad:

Sedat
21-05-2012, 06:51 PM

On the bright side, it will be good to see that sheep dog Harvey get smashed by another hard tag this week from Raines. For once I look forward to seeing Clinton Jones match up on somebody when Norf play St Kilda later this year.

bornadog
Addison's charge was striking. I knew he'd get a week for it but like you Tama, what I'm fuming about is that little turd Brent Harvey hit his opponent in the head and he gets to play this week. :mad:

What Addison did is what you see all the time on the football field, guys bumping into each other, unfortunately got him in the wrong spot, or Bennell is soft (which is what I believe:D).

But what Harvey did was blatant punching in the face. Not sure if anyone saw it, but he was lying on top of the Port guy in the middle of the pack and trying to punch him in the head.

Ozza
I think Vez will come in anyway, maybe for Smith. Could DJ go lockdown on a small Geelong forward? Stokes?

I would worry about Vez playing on Stokes. Stokes has a huge running capacity - and tends to get plenty of second half goals by just out running his opponent up and back. You can probably picture Stokes' goals as all being over the back of the defence running into open space.

I do hope Vez comes in anyway - there will be a match for him somewhere depending on the cats changes.

azabob
21-05-2012, 07:18 PM

I would worry about Vez playing on Stokes. Stokes has a huge running capacity - and tends to get plenty of second half goals by just out running his opponent up and back. You can probably picture Stokes' goals as all being over the back of the defence running into open space.

I do hope Vez comes in anyway - there will be a match for him somewhere depending on the cats changes.

1eye was talking about DJ playing on Stokes, I don't think he is the right match up either.

Ghost Dog
21-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Grant on Stokes. He played pretty well in the backline versus the Suns. Can keep up - Needs a challenge.

EasternWest
21-05-2012, 09:09 PM
What Addison did is what you see all the time on the football field, guys bumping into each other, unfortunately got him in the wrong spot, or Bennell is soft (which is what I believe:D).

But what Harvey did was blatant punching in the face. Not sure if anyone saw it, but he was lying on top of the Port guy in the middle of the pack and trying to punch him in the head.

Bears repeating.

1eyedog
21-05-2012, 09:25 PM
1eye was talking about DJ playing on Stokes, I don't think he is the right match up either.

I know, but I run out of players pretty quick trying to come up with a match up on Geelong's best small forward.

SonofScray
21-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Bears repeating.

Agree. Baffling.

azabob
21-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I know, but I run out of players pretty quick trying to come up with a match up on Geelong's best small forward.

Im not sure who we can put on him. I guess Murphy is our only option.

LostDoggy
22-05-2012, 12:35 AM
On the bright side, it will be good to see that sheep dog Harvey get smashed by another hard tag this week from Raines. For once I look forward to seeing Clinton Jones match up on somebody when Norf play St Kilda later this year.

HAHAHA Sheep dog.... Love it!

I can't cop Harvey at all, nothing makes me happier than watching Picko sytematically destroy him each and every year. It makes my blood boil that this squib gets to play next week whilst another one of backline players sits it out

Whilst I don't think Addison is god's gift to football, he has however shown steady improvement and found a way to play within his limitations and be quite useful down back this year. I know he cops a fair bit on this forum but he has had more good games than bad this year and adds welcomed hardness to the contest around our def 50

Ghost Dog
22-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Im not sure who we can put on him. I guess Murphy is our only option.

Grant

Remi Moses
22-05-2012, 02:57 AM

Worked with a bloke who played cricket against his old man.
Described him as a "turd of a bloke".

azabob
22-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Grant

Not sure about that one. Did he play back against GCS?

Ozza
22-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Soryy - didnt read that too well.

Sedat
22-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Worked with a bloke who played cricket against his old man.
Described him as a "turd of a bloke".Let's just say that the racial vilification laws weren't strictly enforeced in the JIKA League in the mid 90's. Turds around the world are all offended by the comparison.

bornadog
22-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Not sure about that one. Did he play back against GCS?

He did in the first half and was ok. I would prefer he played up forward.

w3design
22-05-2012, 12:59 PM

It is pretty simple really. It is based solely on the jumper involved. If you wear the wrong one you get DONE! If you wear the Right one.... no charge, or you get off.
Quite straight forward.

Ghost Dog
22-05-2012, 02:38 PM
HAHAHA Sheep dog.... Love it!

I can't cop Harvey at all, nothing makes me happier than watching Picko sytematically destroy him each and every year. It makes my blood boil that this squib gets to play next week whilst another one of backline players sits it out

Whilst I don't think Addison is god's gift to football, he has however shown steady improvement and found a way to play within his limitations and be quite useful down back this year. I know he cops a fair bit on this forum but he has had more good games than bad this year and adds welcomed hardness to the contest around our def 50

Incidentally did you notice the lousy call from Shaw and Co during the Darwin game?
Just when Liam was lining up for a shot outside the 50.
goes something like this.... ( excuse my paraphrasing )

Well, he'll never make it. He's not much of a kick this kid.
Jeezus he's walking back a fair way on the mark! Never going to make the distance
I remember his Dad kicked a drop kick in a final once!!! ( Billy Picken)
Here he goes... No chance....

( Liam thumps the leather off the thing and it sails through, dead on. )

In Hamilton during his younger days, Liam kicked 5 in a final once IIRC.
Just because he is a tagger, doesn't mean he hasn't got the skills to pay the bills.

EasternWest
22-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Incidentally did you notice the lousy call from Shaw and Co during the Darwin game?
goes something like this....

Jeezus he's walking back a fair way on the mark! Never going to make the distance

Just because he is a tagger, doesn't mean he hasn't got the skills to pay the bills.

The thing I don't understand is how these "experts" can say he's not much of a kick? He has no worries carrying the distance, and he's generally a pretty reasonable set shot. So he can kick it long and straight, but he's "not much of a kick". It's almost like they've never watched him play.

Mofra
22-05-2012, 03:07 PM
The thing I don't understand is how these "experts" can say he's not much of a kick? He has no worries carrying the distance, and he's generally a pretty reasonable set shot. So he can kick it long and straight, but he's "not much of a kick". It's almost like they've never watched him play.
Didn't he kick one of our best goals of the year last year?

I don't recall ever getting nervous when the ball is in his hands, especially compared to others in our side

bornadog
22-05-2012, 03:10 PM

I don't recall ever getting nervous when the ball is in his hands, especially compared to others in our side

He rarely missus a shot at goal. I remember a couple of seasons ago when he thumped a long kick from outside 50 when we were storming home, I think it was against Geelong.

bornadog
22-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Back to the thread. I don't believe Jones will be dropped this week.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Atd_-IhCQAEkibQ.jpg

At training today

My Prediction
In Cooney, Vez (depends on fitness)

Out: Smith, Addison

always right
22-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Everyone assumes that Picken will go to Selwood....which is a pretty fair assumption. Is there any merit in a slightly different approach this time round.......Smith to Selwood and Picken to Bartel? Any takers?

Smith versus Selwood would be worth watching. My only concern is whether Smith has the fitness to run out the entire game.

EasternWest
22-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Yes, and agreed.

Everyone assumes that Picken will go to Selwood....which is a pretty fair assumption. Is there any merit in a slightly different approach this time round.......Smith to Selwood and Picken to Bartel? Any takers?

Smith versus Selwood would be worth watching. My only concern is whether Smith has the fitness to run out the entire game.

It's an interesting idea, but I'd image Clay blowing up pretty quick.

LostDoggy
22-05-2012, 03:57 PM
He rarely missus a shot at goal. I remember a couple of seasons ago when he thumped a long kick from outside 50 when we were storming home, I think it was against Geelong.

Against Collingwood midway through 2009...Lost by 1 point

bornadog
22-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Against Collingwood midway through 2009...Lost by 1 point

Yes that's right, that was a fantastic shot.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-05-2012, 05:08 PM

I couldn't see Smith getting a game if Cooney is right to return. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd go head to head with Selwood and as you suggested Picken to take Bartel

AndrewP6
22-05-2012, 08:51 PM
goes something like this.... ( excuse my paraphrasing )

Yes, that was Dermie I believe... "Well, you know he's not going to make the distance from here".... after the kick, "Gee, he's a good kick, isn't he?" :eek:

Ghost Dog
22-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes, that was Dermie I believe... "Well, you know he's not going to make the distance from here".... after the kick, "Gee, he's a good kick, isn't he?" :eek:

Yep! Right on the money. I couldn't remember it as you have.
I often get the feeling commentators don't take much of an interest in us as some of their comments sometimes seem a bit odd

AndrewP6
22-05-2012, 09:19 PM
I often get the feeling commentators don't take much of an interest in us as some of their comments sometimes seem a bit odd

Only because I posted it on Facebook at the time!:)

azabob
22-05-2012, 10:21 PM

Honestly GD that is TV commentators for you.

I have never had foxtel nor do I listen to AW or MMM so I have never heard Brian Taylor call, but I just don't get what the hype is about him? He is the worst "caller" out there.

What the heck is this wowwwweeee business?

As for the thread question.

IN - Roughead, Vez, Cooney, DJ (hopefully he is fit)

OUT Wallis (ill), Cordy (rest) Skinner (omitted) Addison

bulldogsman
24-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I think...

In Cooney, Vez, Roughead
Out Smith, Addison, Skinner

I think Roughead will find himself in defence if Geelong go with two ruckman. We have no one to play on West.

G-Mo77
24-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Sam Landsberger hinted via Twitter that Pearce could be in this week.

Greystache
24-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Official team

In- Cooney, Vez, Roughead, Pearce
Out- Addison, Grant, Jones, Smith

Grant, Jones, Smith all omitted.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Official team

Didn't see Grant being dropped or Pearce coming in.

SlimPickens
24-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Official team

Little surprised about Grant's omission, maybe rested?

Well Done D.Pearce on your debut, go well young fella.

Dog54
24-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Is Grant omitted ? No Grant or Jones our two potential forwards for the future! Forward stocks looking thinner by the week!

Bulldog4life
24-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Is Grant omitted ? No Grant or Jones our two potential forwards for the future! Forward stocks looking thinner by the week!

Yes he is.

Twodogs
24-05-2012, 07:38 PM

That's what I thought too. Maybe the MC figure that it's better to rest a few and bring in fresh legs after the long flight and playing in the heat rather than risk running out if legs.

Maddog37
24-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Surely Grant rested and Jones dropped on form. Willy not playing makes it impossible to tell.

Greystache
24-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Possibly, but we seem to have been listing those players being rested as having some form of nominal injury.

That's what I thought too. Maybe the MC figure that it's better to rest a few and bring in fresh legs after the long flight and playing in the heat rather than risk running out if legs.

If it is the case of just resting young players after a tough trip then it's not a bad strategy.

bornadog
24-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Possibly, but we seem to have been listing those players being rested as having some form of nominal injury.

If it is the case of just resting young players after a tough trip then it's not a bad strategy.

Jones and Grant didn't play the previous week, before Darwin.

G-Mo77
24-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Jones and Grant didn't play the previous week, before Darwin.

Neither may have pulled up to well after the Darwin game. Either way I'm not reading much in to the "O" word. I expect both back next week.

Pearce was very close a couple of weeks ago so it was no real surprise he was selected this week.

Emergencies are Jones, Smith and Howard.

bornadog
24-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Chance for Skinner to show us he has some potential to make the AFL grade

LostDoggy
24-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I havn,t had a lot of time to look at the possible team lineup , busy first week back at work after being in hospital , it really is an interesting mix the lineup this week , Kelly out for the Cats is a big out , Jones did have a back problem which kept him out for a week it could have flaired again , Grant out to have a rest ? Its possible , if you said Grant was swapped for Z-Man its enigma out and enigma in , if the Z-Man is going to line up on the wing it will test his tank maybe Subbed for Pearce at HT , it would,nt surprise me to see Roughead spend some time back

The way the team lines up the two forwards are Gia and Cordy so we are using a deeper forward setup , Dahlhaus Higgins and Wallis will rotate through the midfield , Skinner and Sherman it seems will be used as wide burst midfield/ forwards where the ball is kicked in front of them as they run towards goal it will cause Geelong a few problems as there wont be a static contest , and with Dickson rotating through HF we do have a number of attacking options

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Jones doesn't deserve to be in as he has been very ordinary.I was pleased to see Cooney, Roughead and Veszpremi back in. A good opportunity for Pearce against talented opposition. Grant still needs to do more.

Remi Moses
24-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Thought Grant was unlucky, maybe he didn't pull up well after Darwin.
Good inclusions

F'scary
24-05-2012, 09:57 PM
The outs: I'm stunned but very pleased to see Macca churning them where form has been questionable - J Grant & Jones. C Smith is on L plates and playing that way - will get dropped a few times before he establishes himself over the rest of this season & the next. Veszpremi is a different kind of player to Addison - this will be interesting.

Churning on form is the way forward for a club in a rebuilding phase. 10/10 Macca.

jeemak
24-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I thought Grant had been performing quite well, and didn't deserve to lose his spot.

I'm trying to think of a strategic reason for leaving both of Jones and Grant out, and I'm struggling to put one together other than going for Roughead and Cordy having a mandate to bring the ball to ground and not allow Geelong's defenders to gain aerial supremecy. This needs to be supplemented by ferocious defensive pressure from the smalls around them.

I suppose it's more of a cynical outlook on our forward set up, though at least we're trying to win the game.

bornadog
24-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I thought Grant had been performing quite well, and didn't deserve to lose his spot.

I'm trying to think of a strategic reason for leaving both of Jones and Grant out, and I'm struggling to put one together other than going for Roughead and Cordy having a mandate to bring the ball to ground and not allow Geelong's defenders to gain aerial supremecy. This needs to be supplemented by ferocious defensive pressure from the smalls around them.

I suppose it's more of a cynical outlook on our forward set up, though at least we're trying to win the game.

From Macca:

Senior Coach Brendan McCartney said there will be some fantastic young talent on the interchange bench this week with the inclusion of Pearce.

“Young Daniel Pearce comes into the team for his first senior game for the Western Bulldogs,” McCartney said.

“We made some changes based around form, one from suspension and some unavailability.”

jeemak
24-05-2012, 11:36 PM
From Macca:

Senior Coach Brendan McCartney said there will be some fantastic young talent on the interchange bench this week with the inclusion of Pearce.

“Young Daniel Pearce comes into the team for his first senior game for the Western Bulldogs,” McCartney said.

“We made some changes based around form, one from suspension and some unavailability.”

Thanks Broseph.

Think maybe Grant as unavailable?

I can understand Jones and to a lesser extent Smith on form.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2012, 12:36 AM

My guess. The coach knows what he will get from Clay. Pearce and Skinner are a bit more unknown against quality oppsition. Perhaps in his mind, he knows the chances of losing are high, so wants to expose a couple of players knows are going to benefit. A character building exercise I think with a few of these selections. Good on him. Let's see how they do.

jeemak
25-05-2012, 01:15 AM
My guess. The coach knows what he will get from Clay. Pearce and Skinner are a bit more unknown against quality oppsition. Perhaps in his mind, he knows the chances of losing are high, so wants to expose a couple of players knows are going to benefit. A character building exercise I think with a few of these selections. Good on him. Let's see how they do.

I read some of the comments made in the 360 thread, and apparently he's backed in Cordy and Roughead on form and opportunity. and that the forward line will settle itself over time.

I like the idea of exposing players for their benefit, and for the long term benefit of the list, though I don't think this is a game we should be going in to not thinking we're a good chance to have a win.

Geelong are vulnerable, just like Collingwood were a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking forward to seeing how we go.

Agree that he probably knows what Clay is going to give him at this early stage of the season, and I don't mind him being set aside for stints at Willy matched with some time in the seniors. While he's hard at it, he needs to get some time to learn to work on his effectiveness with ball in hand rather than trying to win it.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2012, 01:46 AM
I read some of the comments made in the 360 thread, and apparently he's backed in Cordy and Roughead on form and opportunity. and that the forward line will settle itself over time.

I like the idea of exposing players for their benefit, and for the long term benefit of the list, though I don't think this is a game we should be going in to not thinking we're a good chance to have a win.

Geelong are vulnerable, just like Collingwood were a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking forward to seeing how we go.

Agree that he probably knows what Clay is going to give him at this early stage of the season, and I don't mind him being set aside for stints at Willy matched with some time in the seniors. While he's hard at it, he needs to get some time to learn to work on his effectiveness with ball in hand rather than trying to win it.

I agree here with you in the sense that Geelong are less intimidating than in previous times and we are a chance, although the odds are against us. Bmac is searching for a winning mix and we might just land it earlier rather than later: keep the faith Dogs!

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 01:58 AM
I agree here with you in the sense that Geelong are less intimidating than in previous times and we are a chance, although the odds are against us. Bmac is searching for a winning mix and we might just land it earlier rather than later: keep the faith Dogs!

Tonight's game against Geelong is a match that we can win as Geelong are now not as strong as they used to be. One thing they have struggled with this year is winning the contested ball which has been an area for us this year that we have been doing pretty good in. Our players are getting into the way Macca wants them to play. If we win tomorrow night its another scalp against a quality side as they were had lots of chances last week to win against another quality side in the Pies.

jeemak
25-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Tonight's game against Geelong is a match that we can win as Geelong are now not as strong as they used to be. One thing they have struggled with this year is winning the contested ball which has been an area for us this year that we have been doing pretty good in. Our players are getting into the way Macca wants them to play. If we win tomorrow night its another scalp against a quality side as they were had lots of chances last week to win against another quality side in the Pies.

Eastdog my man, how do you think leaving Jones and Grant out of the side will affect our chances with Scarlett coming in?

With Lonergan, Scarlett and Taylor holding down the key defensive posts, do you think having a forward line that will most likely only have Roughead and Cordy as tall targets throughout the game will enable us to have enough presence in the air to keep the ball locked in there?

I know we have plenty of players like Higgins, Giansiracusa, Dahl and DJ to make a contest, but do you think Geelong will be able to move the ball out of their defensive 50 easily this week because of their taller players controlling the high ball coming in?

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 02:47 AM
Eastdog my man, how do you think leaving Jones and Grant out of the side will affect our chances with Scarlett coming in?

With Lonergan, Scarlett and Taylor holding down the key defensive posts, do you think having a forward line that will most likely only have Roughead and Cordy as tall targets throughout the game will enable us to have enough presence in the air to keep the ball locked in there?

I know we have plenty of players like Higgins, Giansiracusa, Dahl and DJ to make a contest, but do you think Geelong will be able to move the ball out of their defensive 50 easily this week because of their taller players controlling the high ball coming in?

Quite right jeemak. I should take a closer look at the teams. Do you still think though that Geelong this year not in winning the contested ball as often will play in our favour.

jeemak
25-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Quite right jeemak. I should take a closer look at the teams. Do you still think though that Geelong this year not in winning the contested ball as often will play in our favour.

I do mate, definitely.

You're right in saying that, because that's an area we've improved in. It seems it doesn't matter who we put in our side, each player has a different mentality towards contested ball compared to recent years.

I wasn't correcting you with respect to the club dropping Jones and Grant, I was asking what your opinion was on the matter.

Do you think Cordy and Roughead will be able to keep Geelongs tall backs honest?

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 03:49 AM
I do mate, definitely.

You're right in saying that, because that's an area we've improved in. It seems it doesn't matter who we put in our side, each player has a different mentality towards contested ball compared to recent years.

I wasn't correcting you with respect to the club dropping Jones and Grant, I was asking what your opinion was on the matter.

Do you think Cordy and Roughead will be able to keep Geelongs tall backs honest?

It will be a difficult job for them as Cordy and Roughead still are young. Who will Scarlett play on?

jeemak
25-05-2012, 03:54 AM
With only one tall likely to populate our forward line at any one time, being either Cordy or Roughead, I'd say Scarlett is likely to run as a third man up without any direct opponent for most of the night.

Lonergan will do the work on Roughead. That leaves Scarlett and Taylor playaing against either Cordy, or nobody in the tall department.

We might have an advantage if we play short up forward tonight. As long as we don't kick it high in to our forward line.

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 04:02 AM
With only one tall likely to populate our forward line at any one time, being either Cordy or Roughead, I'd say Scarlett is likely to run as a third man up without any direct opponent for most of the night.

Lonergan will do the work on Roughead. That leaves Scarlett and Taylor playaing against either Cordy, or nobody in the tall department.

We might have an advantage if we play short up forward tonight. As long as we don't kick it high in to our forward line.

Would you say Scarlett is still a dangerous full back right now.

westdog54
25-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Would you say Scarlett is still a dangerous full back right now.

I would say he isn't a full back at all anymore. He is essentially playing the role Tom Harley used to play in his later years, playing on the weaker forwards and running off them or playing loose in defence.

azabob
25-05-2012, 09:16 AM
It will be a difficult job for them as Cordy and Roughead still are young. Who will Scarlett play on?

I think Scarlett will pick up Gia.

Gia will have trouble exploiting Scarlett like he has his past few opponents. Fingers crossed Scarlett again pulls out before the game.

Ozza
25-05-2012, 11:14 AM
From Macca:

“We made some changes based around form, one from suspension and some unavailability.”[/COLOR]

Unavailable!

have only ever heard of players being 'unavailable' at local footy clubs!

Mantis
25-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Very underwhelmed by the selections, we might have to kick it along the ground going forward.

Maddog37
25-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I think Scarlett will pick up Gia.

Gia will have trouble exploiting Scarlett like he has his past few opponents. Fingers crossed Scarlett again pulls out before the game.

Gia did well against Scarlett last year didn't he?

bornadog
25-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Unavailable!

have only ever heard of players being 'unavailable' at local footy clubs!

Could have a personal issue.

bornadog
25-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Macca likes Roughead in the backline, so if they try to stretch us down there by throwing a ruckman in, then he may go back.

DragzLS1
25-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Think we will try and run them off there feet.. Macca masterminded Essendon beating them last year ;) I think we are in with a real shot with the selections..

Only thing is can we hold out for 4 quarters.. Also having alot of fresh players coming in is a good sign imo

azabob
25-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Gia did well against Scarlett last year didn't he?

I think Gia this year in particular is relying on his one on one positioning and body work. He is struggling to get a break on his opponent when on the lead.

Scarlett is a fairly good at one on one scenarios.

G-Mo77
25-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Very underwhelmed by the selections, we might have to kick it along the ground going forward.

It concerns me as well. As jeemak said Scarlet is going to be virtually the loose man in defence and will be the third up when Cordy or Roughy are in a contested situation so it's going to be a tough night for them. I guess this is where Dickson and Skinner fit in and we'll need them to perform well. Grant would have been a good fit tonight but the term unavailable means it's probably out of our hands to have him in there.

always right
25-05-2012, 01:50 PM

What changes would you have preferred to see?

stefoid
25-05-2012, 02:49 PM

I get the idea that our forwards are tasked with stopping defensive rebound first, scoring second. This is pretty much the trend across all teams, but with mac its been underlined with big red ink.

Scarlett will probably have an opponent at his side all night.

This kind of attitude stops the opposition from scoring easilly, but it means that we are much less likely to score from uncontested marks inside 50.

Most of scoring is going to come from pack marks, crumbs, midfielders or fast breaks.

Also might be a reason why Jones has been down - he got a lot of his marks last year by getting on his bike way up the ground and taking 'leading contested marks' a bit like a much less fit version of Riewolt. Whereas this year he has to stick close to his opponent for defensive reasons and 'stand and deliver' closer to goal where he is much less likely to be able to shake a double or tripple team.

w3design
25-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Does any one else think we are trying for an unpredictable forward half? Perhaps trying to unsettle G'long's strong backline.

I think also that Scarlett is playing a Murphy type role down back these days rather than a key back, so where needed he can float about and come in third up, or just be a loose man.

I have my fingers crossed for tonight, but are the Cats vulnerable? Any side is on a given day/night. But anyone who underestimates or writes off this mob, does so at their own peril. If things click for them, they are still capable of dismantling any team in the competition.
Just hoping tonight they are a little off their game.

bornadog
25-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Does any one else think we are trying for an unpredictable forward half? Perhaps trying to unsettle G'long's strong backline.

I think also that Scarlett is playing a Murphy type role down back these days rather than a key back, so where needed he can float about and come in third up, or just be a loose man.

I have my fingers crossed for tonight, but are the Cats vulnerable? Any side is on a given day/night. But anyone who underestimates or writes off this mob, does so at their own peril. If things click for them, they are still capable of dismantling any team in the competition.
Just hoping tonight they are a little off their game.

In the past Geelong have relied on contested possession and spreading quickly when the ball has been won. This year they are way down on CP whereas we are numbner one in the AFL. The key is if they stop Griffen, we could be in trouble, its that simple to me.

Mantis
25-05-2012, 05:34 PM
What changes would you have preferred to see?

I would have preferred that Grant & Jones weren't omitted.

At the very least these 2 are mobile and chase.

Bulldog4life
25-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Cordy out. Jones in.

bornadog
25-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Zeph is sub