PDA

View Full Version : Round 10 Match Preview: Western Bulldogs vs Sydney

Cyberdoggie
30-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Round 10: Sydney vs Western Bulldogs
Sun 3 Jun 3:15pm AEST SCG
(Forecast is for showers)

Recent History
Round 18, 23 Jul 2011 SCG Sydney defeats Western Bulldogs 114-75 A. Goodes 34 dp
K. Jack 34 dp, B. Hall 5 goals

Round 7, 7 May 2011 Manuka Oval Western Bulldogs defeated by Sydney 65-73
M. Boyd 33

Semi Final, 11 Sep 2010 MCG Western Bulldogs defeat Sydney 77-72 J. Kennedy 32
B. Hall 4

Round 21, 21 Aug 2010 SCG Sydney defeats Western Bulldogs 114-70 D. Hannebery 27
T. Dennis-Lane 4

Round 8, 15 May 2010 Manuka Oval Western Bulldogs defeat Sydney 101-63 D. Cross 32
B. Hall 5

Recent Form

Western Bulldogs WLWWL (ladder position 13th)

Sydney WLLWL (ladder position 5th)

Both sides coming off a loss last week.

Key Statistics

Western Bulldogs
points for 14th
points against 9th (760)
1st quarters won 3
last quarters won 4

Ranked 3rd in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 2nd in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 14th in Points Per Game

Averages
Kicks 209.1
HB"s 173.9
Disposals 383.0
Tackles 67.3
Hitouts 41.7
conversion 48.1%

M.Boyd 32.8 disposals per game
Griffen 27.1
Cross 25.7
D.Giansiracusa 15 goals
L.Picken 6.6 tackles per game

Sydney
points for 8th (895)
points against 1st (685)
1st quarters won 6
last quarters won 4

Ranked 1st in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Points Per Game
Ranked 4th in least Opponent Tackles Per Game

Averages
Kicks 198.8
HB"s 149.9
Disposals 348.7
Tackles 75.7
Hitouts 36.1
conversion 56.3%

J. Kennedy 26.0 disposals per game
K.Jack 22.4
J.McVeigh 22.4
L.Jetta 20 goals
C.Bird 6.4 tackles per game

Selection Table

Western Bulldogs
Not that the performance against Geelong warrants it but it is quite possible McCartney will make a few changes this week with players coming back from injuries.
Addison, Easton Wood, Ayce Cordy, Jarrad Grant are all possibles, perhaps caution might be shown to Wood by playing him in the vfl followed by the bye to make sure of his recovery, alternatively the smaller SCG with less room to run at full pace, and the need for a running half back might be worth the risk for his inclusion.

Cordy is a favourite with the coach but may have to squeeze another big man out to get in. Likely outs would be first gamer Daniel Pearce who showed a bit but clearly has some catching up to do in fitness and experience. Skinner may also be an unlucky out after his brief cameos as a substitute.

Sydney
Almost a full squad to choose from other than their best player Adam Goodes who is out until rnd 12 with a quad injury, and Gary Rohan for the season.
Mumford is back in full training and is a possilbe inclusion for this week, depending on match fitness or lack of as he hasn't been running for 5 weeks.
Alex Johnson and LRT will both face fitness tests later in the week from injuries sustained from round 9 against the saints.

Match Up's

The Tag's
Picken likely to go to Kennedy or McVeigh, they are the two highest possesion getters for the swans, Kennedy is the second highest goal scorer as well.
Griffen will more than likely get some attention from the swans.

Sam Reid v ?
Wouldn't surprise me to see Austin match up against the talented but out of form swan. This would free Lake up to zone or provide more rebound or even float forward.
If things went pear shaped Lake could always be moved but McCartney doesn't make many key defensive changes throughout a game.

Jones v Richards
I'm guessing Ted will get the job on Jones. After showing some glimpses of form (at least with his pack marking), Jones may find the smaller SCG actually to his advantage.
Jones has been horribly out of form and having lost confidence in his marking ability earlier in the season by getting double or triple teamed, he has developed some bad habits of running under the flight of the ball and dropping simple chest marks. I'd throw in his woeful kicking for goal as well but it has always been an issue.

Last week after the first drop mark he bounced back with some strong grabs.
The smaller ground may actually suit Jones by forcing him into more pack mark situations instead of messing up the timing of his leads at full pace.
The game won't be won or lost in this battle alone but Jones taking some grabs and kicking 2 goals will do wonders for the Bulldogs.

The midfield

Fairly evenly matched up, the dogs have two A graders in Griffen and Boyd who you know will play well, and two rookies in Libba and Wallis who have been strong consistent performers this year, both in and under and contested ball guns.
In previous years McVeigh and in particular Adam Goodes have destroyed the dogs, especially at the SCG. Thankfully this time around Goodes won't be there, and it appears to be a really close match up, one that will no doubt bring lots of stoppages and bruising contested footy.
The swans may take a risk and bring in Mumford to battle Minson. Big Will has been more than holding his own this year and should win the ruck contest. Willbur loves the smaller grounds, and the wet (forecast is for 18 and a few showers) so could be a DT or SC special this week if you have him.

The Verdict

Going to be a close one if the dogs can stay in the game early.
Wet weather footy, small ground, two big contested footy, tackling sides that don't let the opposition score much. No Adam Goodes might bring the swans back down a peg from previous meetings, although you can also say that about Barry Hall.

In previous years the dogs struggled with the closed space and constant pressure from the swans at the SCG, forcing them to kick along the boundary line with no clear marking options through the middle of the ground. The big difference this time is that the dogs are matching it in the defensive pressure areas.

Most of Sydney's goals are coming from their midfielders rather than key forwards, Kennedy, Jetta, Goodes, McGlynn and Jack the major ones. If the dogs midfield can be accoutable they should limit Sydney's ability to score. On the other hand Giansiracusa and Higgins are pretty much the lone rangers on the dogs goal tally. Both are small forwards who can be shut out of games at times.

The dogs ability to run the ball out of defence will be tested with the limited space. Murphy and a semi fit Veszpremi may need Easton Wood to help them out.
For Sydney Rhyce Shaw is always a dangerous weapon and there is plenty of run from their backline in Richards, Malceski and Mattner.

If the dogs are to win this game then quite simply Jones and Roughead or Cordy need to kick a couple of goals each from marks. Jones/Roughead kicked 1.5 from relatively straight forward shots at goal last week which is simply not acceptable. The same this week will guarantee another loss.

Heart says dogs but the head is swaying to the swans for now.
Team selection will be a crucial factor.

bornadog
30-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Well done Cyber D.

Some key stats for this game:

* Disposals total: WB ranked 1, Sydney 16th, or 50 less per game than us.

* Contested Possession: WB ranked 2nd, Sydney 6th

* Clearances 3rd, versus 6th

* Contested Marks: 4th v 11th

* Tackles 4th versus 1st, or we are 10 less per game.

* Inside 50, 6th v 3rd and they are scoring better than we are.

We need to use the ball well and make sure we score more often inside 50. SCG is small so the contested game will suit us.

Sedat
30-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Very interesting game. On the surface most people will expect a comfortable Swans win but our game plan in 2012 actually suits the tighter confines of the SCG. Factor in the elements and we should be in this one up to our eyeballs. Sydney have definitely struggled in recent weeks with Mumford and Goodes out of action.

I'd put Picken straigh onto Jetta and terrorise him all game. Jetta is in career best form and is getting valuable possessions forward of centre and impacting on the scoreboard.

LongWait
30-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Very interesting game. On the surface most people will expect a comfortable Swans win but our game plan in 2012 actually suits the tighter confines of the SCG. Factor in the elements and we should be in this one up to our eyeballs. Sydney have definitely struggled in recent weeks with Mumford and Goodes out of action.

I'd put Picken straigh onto Jetta and terrorise him all game. Jetta is in career best form and is getting valuable possessions forward of centre and impacting on the scoreboard.

Good observations. I think we are more than a sneeky chance to cause an upset this weekend.

bornadog
30-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Mumford is a good chance to play this week.

Cyberdoggie
30-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Well done Cyber D.

Some key stats for this game:

us.

* Contested Possession: WB ranked 2nd, Sydney 6th

* Contested Marks: 4th v 11th

Ahh you found them, I couldn't find the cp's stats anywhere.
What site did you get them from?

Greystache
30-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Good work on the preview Cyberdoggie.

I genuinely think this is a game we can win, in fact I'll be disappointed if we don't.

bornadog
31-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Ahh you found them, I couldn't find the cp's stats anywhere.
What site did you get them from?

On the AFL site.

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/tabid/73/default.aspx

jeemak
31-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Excellent preview mate.

Interesting game ahead. While our contested possession game has made us competitive in the games since we played St Kilda, a key area of exposure is our ball use, and the ability for the opposition to punish us when we are sloppy in that area.

The route to goal is a little shorter at the SCG (though, not as significant as the camera angle and proximity to the field of play from which is shoots) and any turnovers will be punished fairly quickly. This week more than ever will test our ability to convert contested possessions in to valuable ones.

Happy Days
31-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Mumford is a good chance to play this week.

This won't hurt us as much as Goodes coming back in would.

Minson plays a very similar sort of crash and bash style to Mumford, and given his lack of match fitness (as well as his general playing style) I can't see Mumford burning us around the ground with his athleticism. Plus when you factor in Will's tremendous lead-in form (smashed Stephenson/West on Friday, two similar style, albeit lesser, players to Mumford), I think the ruck is an area we can really take the points in.

I mean, this is the team who got torched in the ruck by Jason Blake last week.

Axe Man
31-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Round 10: Sydney vs Western Bulldogs
Easton Wood, Ayce Cordy, Jarrad Grant are all possibles

Addison would be a near certainty wouldn't he?

Agreed. Motlop hurt us last week and Jetta has the potential to do the same. He's the type of player Picken is usually very effective against.

Cyberdoggie
31-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Addison would be a near certainty wouldn't he?

Ahh yes forgot about him.

Edited for accuracy ;)

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 05:08 PM
We must put some attention into Malceski.

I'm not sure who is best suited to the forward defensive role, but Malceski's disposal is elite and if left free to rack up 25+ touches his long kicks inside 50 on the smaller ground will kill us.

I know he hasn't been in the greatest form lately, but basically every game he has copped a tag. Which he doesn't deal with well.

w3design
31-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Excellent preview mate.

Interesting game ahead. While our contested possession game has made us competitive in the games since we played St Kilda, a key area of exposure is our ball use, and the ability for the opposition to punish us when we are sloppy in that area.

The route to goal is a little shorter at the SCG (though, not as significant as the camera angle and proximity to the field of play from which is shoots) and any turnovers will be punished fairly quickly. This week more than ever will test our ability to convert contested possessions in to valuable ones.

I for one don't believe everything the AFL hierarchy put out.
I spent nearly a decade living in Sydney, and saw many a game played at the SCG.
If the 50m arcs there are a genuine 50 metres, I'll eat my hat!!!
I have repeatedly seen pretty average kicking players bomb balls over the goal line from inside the square.
I would happily back Crossy or Scotty West to make the distance from those "50m" arcs on that particular oval.

Maddog37
31-05-2012, 07:16 PM
We must put some attention into Malceski.

I'm not sure who is best suited to the forward defensive role, but Malceski's disposal is elite and if left free to rack up 25+ touches his long kicks inside 50 on the smaller ground will kill us.

I know he hasn't been in the greatest form lately, but basically every game he has copped a tag. Which he doesn't deal with well.

He as geen pretty average as far as my dream team scores go lately Jaytee and now I know why!

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 07:36 PM
He as geen pretty average as far as my dream team scores go lately Jaytee and now I know why!

Yep! Likewise, that's why I've noticed the tags! :(

bulldogsman
31-05-2012, 08:00 PM

Picken I think will go to Josh Kennedy, who is also in career best form. I'd like to see Wood go to Jetta.

Great preview by the way Cyberdoggie

azabob
31-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Picken I think will go to Josh Kennedy, who is also in career best form. I'd like to see Wood go to Jetta.

Is Wood smart enough to take Jetta?

JohnGentStand
31-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I think Murphy is our plan A,B & C for Jetta. :)

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 11:27 PM

As he is just back from giving the bands a twang I,d be happy enough if he tagged Jack , Sydney like their set plays from a contest and Happy Jack gets more than his fair share of clearances

I,d say the Rasta Razor would be a better match up with Jetta , Luke is more than fast enough to keep pace

bornadog
31-05-2012, 11:35 PM

Agree, Kennedy is in top form and very dangerous.

chef
01-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Hopefully our coaching staff have been taking notice of how opposition teams have been cutting his run lately. St Kilda were playing someone 10-15 meters in front of him(and face him) at stoppages and this seem to cut him out of the game.

DragzLS1
01-06-2012, 03:33 PM

That happend as soon as I bought himon both dream team and supercoach :(

F'scary
01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
good preview, thanks Cyberdoggie. I am wondering how our high possession game will stand up on the smaller ground (how much smaller is it than Docklands?). Could it be a case of less room for mucking around with the ball equals more turnovers? The Swans are well known for being an excellent side at stoppages, but it seems to me we have the ruck/midfield to counter this, its been one of our stronger points so far this season. No Goodes - hmmm, makes me feel like taking a bet out on us.

Ghost Dog
02-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the good write up Mr Cyberdoggie

Dry Rot
02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the great review.

I haven't seen much of the Swans this year - they seemed to have had a great start to the season, and then seriously have fallen away.

Is this just the loss of Mumford and Goodes or maybe more?

Have we played in the wet this year? It's bucketing down here now - which side will that favour?

Rocco Jones
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Great work CD.

Have we played in the wet this year? It's bucketing down here now - which side will that favour?

Both sides!

Greystache
02-06-2012, 05:10 PM
?Have we played in the wet this year? It's bucketing down here now - which side will that favour?

The game against Melbourne was wet, I can't recall any others this year.

DragzLS1
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Darwin was "wet" weather like conditions aswell and after a 9 daybreak for us we may just come up good :)

Cyberdoggie
02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
good preview, thanks Cyberdoggie. I am wondering how our high possession game will stand up on the smaller ground (how much smaller is it than Docklands?). Could it be a case of less room for mucking around with the ball equals more turnovers? The Swans are well known for being an excellent side at stoppages, but it seems to me we have the ruck/midfield to counter this, its been one of our stronger points so far this season. No Goodes - hmmm, makes me feel like taking a bet out on us.

The wet changes your game style completely.

You have to kick it long and to pack contests. Your talls need to take pack marks, you definately have to know how to keep your feet one on one, and you can't stuff around with dinky handballs and sideways play to try and out position the opposition, it leads to errors and turnovers.

It's funny that footy has changed so much in tactics etc, but when the rain comes down it's pretty much the same as it always has been other than the players being in old school positions on the field at most times.