PDA

View Full Version : For some, better off giving AFL a miss

Ghost Dog
16-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Young players in the firing line for clubs' annual cull

I RECEIVED a phone call from a friend recently who told me his son had been made redundant. This was particularly upsetting as the young man had just turned 20, was working in his first full-time job and had no formal qualifications.
In this economic climate, that sounds daunting.
Well, in just over four weeks, this same scenario will play out in the AFL when up to 50 young men will be told they are no longer required by their respective football clubs. For some, this will be expected; for others, it will come as a shock - especially if they have never bothered to listen to the advice of their superiors and seek formal education or training.
AFL is a brutal business, we all know that. But in the coming months, it will become even harder for a number of these youngsters. For months they will have adhered to club protocols, participated in membership drives and Auskick-related events; they will be told they were a valued member of the organisation, told they will be missed and asked to empty their lockers.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/young-players-in-the-firing-line-for-clubs-annual-cull-20120813-244to.html#ixzz23hPB2CR6

LostDoggy
16-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I hate these 'poor is me' pieces.
Playing a sport you love for money is a privilege.

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2012, 09:16 PM
What a crock

Maddog37
16-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Agree a bit Chops but it would be tough to fail at something you have dreamed of doing since you were a kid.

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Agree a bit Chops but it would be tough to fail at something you have dreamed of doing since you were a kid.

I dreamed of being a millionaire surrounded by supermodels.

It didn't happen but I got over it.

Maddog37
16-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Why I had that very same dream!! Sadly, I too fell short of my goal.

AndrewP6
16-08-2012, 09:31 PM

Why I had that very same dream!! Sadly, I too fell short of my goal.

I am a millionaire surrounded by supermodels. The 'teacher' thing is just to hide my true identity. ;)

When I was a kid, I used to dream of being in the Army. Then, at some point in time, it occurred to me that a wheelchair might not be the best weapon in armed conflict. :D

soupman
16-08-2012, 09:35 PM

And yet these are the guys who succeeded in getting drafted. Thousands more failed at that, including myself.

Mofra
17-08-2012, 12:14 PM
And yet these are the guys who succeeded in getting drafted. Thousands more failed at that, including myself.
Yep, I was close to being drafted though (except for having little athleticism or talent, I was a pretty good chance)

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I am a millionaire surrounded by supermodels. The 'teacher' thing is just to hide my true identity. ;)

When I was a kid, I used to dream of being in the Army. Then, at some point in time, it occurred to me that a wheelchair might not be the best weapon in armed conflict. :D

Me too. but I turned out to be colour blind. so I became a Graphic Designer. Logical!

Twodogs
17-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Me too. but I turned out to be colour blind. so I became a Graphic Designer. Logical!

I dont know if this is 100% true but I have heard that people who are colourblind (my son is red/green colourblind-I always have to retrieve balls we've kicked into bushes) supposably can see through camouflage and as such make good snipers.

I've tried googling it but there are differing answers.

Anyway bck to the topic. Most of us change careers at around the age of thirty. So far I've been an employment officer with the Federal government, a house painter and a disabilty support worker. That's not counting the various jobs (sales, factory hand, storeman, meatworker) I had in my late teens and early 20s while I was deciding what I wanted to do.

LostDoggy
17-08-2012, 05:45 PM
I dont know if this is 100% true but I have heard that people who are colourblind (my son is red/green colourblind-I always have to retrieve balls we've kicked into bushes) supposably can see through camouflage and as such make good snipers.

Might make good snipers but I believe you can't get into an infantry/combat role if you are colourblind?

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Might make good snipers but I believe you can't get into an infantry/combat role if you are colourblind?

True! or police.

The Underdog
18-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Yes but they got close enough to their dream to touch it. If you had of then they'd have hit you with a restraining order:D

KT31
22-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Its not all that bad, you married up.
Look at it from your Misses point of view.:D

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Its not all that bad, you married up.
Look at it from your Misses point of view.:D

First that made me laugh, then I realised it's true!

LostDoggy
22-08-2012, 02:25 PM

It didn't happen to me either, and I still haven't gotten over it. :)

I don't know mate, mount a 50-cal on that baby and you'd be one mean dude…

Remi Moses
22-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Reckon I spent from 91 to 95 three years unemployed.

Desipura
23-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Reckon I spent from 91 to 95 three years unemployed.

I can see why, that's a 5 year period. ;)

westdog54
23-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't know mate, mount a 50-cal on that baby and you'd be one mean dude…

I'm a Police Officer and we used to have a firearms instructor who was a paraplegic. He had a holster fitted to his wheelchair and had a quicker draw than any of the other instructors.

AndrewP6
23-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm a Police Officer and we used to have a firearms instructor who was a paraplegic. He had a holster fitted to his wheelchair and had a quicker draw than any of the other instructors.

I know that guy!

*** I'm just kidding. It's an in-joke for people with disabilities, a lot of people will say things like "I had this mate in school, he was in a wheelchair, you probably know him" **

Remi Moses
25-08-2012, 09:18 PM
I can see why, that's a 5 year period. ;)

Gee thanks for that. Life of leisure but bugger all cash