PDA

View Full Version : Fan base from the ground up - we suck at it.

bornadog
16-08-2012, 10:56 PM
A mate of mind is going to complain to the club about the treatment from some of the players at NOT signing autographs. My mate took his son to Auss kick in Willi and mind you he is only 5 but knows every player, wears the full kit everywhere and is obsessed. Any way, along comes Grant and Cordy, and all they did was walk the boundary texting. At the end of the session, the kids with Bulldogs gear ran up to the players for autographs, and the players turned around and said, we are paid to kick balls not push pens, and didn't sign anything:eek:

My mate didn't hear it as he was at the boundary line, but a friend of his did (one of the mums) and told him. He says this has happened before at other venues where the players don't even talk to the kids, just keep signing and ignoring them. eg player x signing away and talking on his mobile and not even looking up at the kid.

Kids are vulnerable at that age and can turn off the club easily. Last week some North players visited this same kids kinder and gave every kid a North hat. To top it off, he kicked his Bulldog footy up a tree and the North player retrieved it, and he has been talking about changing clubs to North the whole week.

I know there is a lot of the footballers time requested, and it must be painful, but gee we have to get this right as its bad enough we are losing. It all starts from a young age.

AndrewP6
16-08-2012, 11:10 PM
If that's true, then it's disgusting.

westdog54
16-08-2012, 11:29 PM
If its true about Cordy then I must say I'm very dissapointed.

I can't remember whether it was last season or the season previous, but I was at a game with my young cousins who ranged between 13 and 4 (six of them all up) and Ayce was sitting a couple of rows in front of us on level 3 with a group of mates. He was injured at the time and had his arm in a sling.

I approached him and said something along the lines of 'Excuse me Ayce, sorry to ask when you're with mates but do you mind having a photo with the kids?'

He was more than happy to, even got up and came around to us rather than getting the kids to move. Made our day and we were all very thankful.

To hear that he's now taking this approach is disheartening to say the least.

bornadog
16-08-2012, 11:56 PM
If that's true, then it's disgusting.

Its true, not made up. This mate sits with me at the Footy and we had had reserves seats together since the Stadium opened. Actually I introduced you to him Andrew early this season.

AndrewP6
17-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Its true, not made up. This mate sits with me at the Footy and we had had reserves seats together since the Stadium opened. Actually I introduced you to him Andrew early this season.

Ah, yep I remember. That kind of thing is not good to hear about.

The Underdog
17-08-2012, 10:37 AM
It appears there may not be a great deal to love about our current team on a few levels.

Doc26
17-08-2012, 10:38 AM
It's just as well we're not one of those poor struggling Club's, always with its hand out, desperately seeking new members and at the same time putting the acid on supporters who have dropped off the wagon in support of extremely privileged and well paid individuals :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 11:02 AM
To hear that about Ayce is really disappointing.

Eastdog
17-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Disappointing if that is happening because it's all part of the job of being a footballer. If this is happening young kids will be discouraged from supporting us.

Maddog37
17-08-2012, 11:13 AM
If they don't care, why should we?

Doc26
17-08-2012, 11:17 AM
To hear that about Ayce is really disappointing.

Is Grant a known lost cause ?

If they don't care, why should we?

Not excusing the behaviour but maybe the players are saying the same.

I'm really disappointed in hearing this type of behaviour from our players, just strikes more at the fabric of the game I once enjoyed. Hopefully a one off but again it does put into question our Club culture and values. It's been a tough year for all but there are some non negotiables and being indifferent or showing disinterest at AusKick or school based events that go to promoting our Club and game in general is high up there when I see first hand what the next generation of supporters gets out of it.

Desipura
17-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Report this to the club, pathetic!

OLD SCRAGGer
17-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm having a hard time believing this..EVERYTIME I've been anywhere near the players, they are MORE than happy to sign autographs and have pics taken, that's been my experiance anyways

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Chinese whispers are a terrible thing. I'd like to get it from the horse's mouth. I can't imagine a player ever saying ' I'm not paid to give autographs' because the social capital is really what they do it for. It seems odd.

bornadog
17-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Chinese whispers are a terrible thing. I'd like to get it from the horse's mouth. I can't imagine a player ever saying ' I'm not paid to give autographs' because the social capital is really what they do it for. It seems odd.

So you are doubting my post?

bornadog
17-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Report this to the club, pathetic!

He is writing to the club.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 03:44 PM

It's not personal. I just find it SUCH a disrespectful thing to say to a kid. I find it incredible. Is it possible it could have been a joke?

LongWait
17-08-2012, 03:54 PM

You did get the information about the refusal to sign autographs third hand BAD - no-one doubts your belief that you posted the truth but the woman who "heard" the comments may have been mistaken. Just sayin'.

bornadog
17-08-2012, 04:59 PM
It's not personal. I just find it SUCH a disrespectful thing to say to a kid. I find it incredible. Is it possible it could have been a joke?

No it wasn't a joke, they didn't sign.

You did get the information about the refusal to sign autographs third hand BAD - no-one doubts your belief that you posted the truth but the woman who "heard" the comments may have been mistaken. Just sayin'.

No it was not a mistake, my mate was there and none of the kids had autographs. The women came over and told my mate, and he saw the kids faces they were all pissed off. They were very upset and my mate is writing to the club. He has many other similar stories.

When my daughter was about 5 or 6 I took her to the family day (around 2005). We got there early and there was hardly anyone there. My daughter saw Johnno and ran up to him to get an autograph, and he said sorry I am not allowed to sign autographs now, but you will get an opportunity later at the marque (pointing to where it was). She was very upset. I know its a fine line and if some other kid saw him signing it would be a rush, but there were no other kids around.:mad:

We have to get it right as these kids are our future supporters.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 05:13 PM
No it wasn't a joke, they didn't sign.

No it was not a mistake, my mate was there and none of the kids had autographs. The women came over and told my mate, and he saw the kids faces they were all pissed off. They were very upset and my mate is writing to the club. He has many other similar stories.

When my daughter was about 5 or 6 I took her to the family day (around 2005). We got there early and there was hardly anyone there. My daughter saw Johnno and ran up to him to get an autograph, and he said sorry I am not allowed to sign autographs now, but you will get an opportunity later at the marque (pointing to where it was). She was very upset. I know its a fine line and if some other kid saw him signing it would be a rush, but there were no other kids around.:mad:

We have to get it right as these kids are our future supporters.

Be interested to see what the club's response is. I can understand players being given instructions on a Family day. You can't fault the player in that situation as they are doing what they are told.
But with the earlier event, no idea why they wouldn't do it. Is it club policy?
Oh for the days when you tossed coins in a blanket, you could get a decent doughnut at the ground, and our blokes were working class, not hanging out in King street!!

bornadog
17-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I can understand players being given instructions on a Family day. You can't fault the player in that situation as they are doing what they are told.

Common sense should prevail when you see a little girls face all lit up with excitement, only to be shot down in flames.

Cyberdoggie
17-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Funnily enough the club has listed an open training session for saturday on it's website. Where fans and members can get the chance to get an autograph before the end of the season...... :cool:

G-Mo77
17-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Common sense should prevail when you see a little girls face all lit up with excitement, only to be shot down in flames.

Exactly. If I was directed not to sign autographs from the club I'd say F 'em and do it anyway. Supporters help pay the bills, a bit of respect and gratitude wouldn't go astray.

azabob
17-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Reality is neither have set the world on fire this year, so they could be pusing pens for a living rather than kicking a footy...

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 08:04 PM

This is the sad world we live in isn't it?

AndrewP6
17-08-2012, 10:05 PM
As a child, I was at a family day, having a go at the Handball competition. Dougie Hawkins was there, and doing his best to get me the win by picking up the target to 'assist' me. His wife commented "Doug, he'd be better off without your help!"

I have pics of me with Dogs players such as Jim Edmond, Terry Wheeler, Dougie, KT, down in the rooms straight after games... and the young blokes today don't even want to scribble an autograph?

As Bob Dylan once said, things have changed.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2012, 11:40 PM
As a child, I was at a family day, having a go at the Handball competition. Dougie Hawkins was there, and doing his best to get me the win by picking up the target to 'assist' me. His wife commented "Doug, he'd be better off without your help!"

I have pics of me with Dogs players such as Jim Edmond, Terry Wheeler, Dougie, KT, down in the rooms straight after games... and the young blokes today don't even want to scribble an autograph?

Point is, things are different now.

Do players really, really, give a rats about the fans anymore?

bornadog
17-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Do players really, really, give a rats about the fans anymore?

argh, now to the point of the thread. Should we be pushing the players to do more PR? We are losing kids left right and centre. We need to keep at it and reassure the kids we are building for the future, so they need to stick with the club. Maybe more clinics, free training days, more school visits, free merchandise hand outs to all the kids, etc etc.

Max469
18-08-2012, 05:54 AM
I remember years ago at the ground a friend of mines son asked Simon Beasley for an autograph and he told him to .... off.

I bet he never said it again to a kid after I told him what I thought of him.

I don't care who it is, with out the kids they would be nothing - it is the kids who make them the heroes they think they are.

Of course there are certain times you would not approach but in this case he was at the ground and just standing there.

Ghost Dog
18-08-2012, 08:02 AM
I remember years ago at the ground a friend of mines son asked Simon Beasley for an autograph and he told him to .... off.

I bet he never said it again to a kid after I told him what I thought of him.

I don't care who it is, with out the kids they would be nothing - it is the kids who make them the heroes they think they are.

Of course there are certain times you would not approach but in this case he was at the ground and just standing there.

Unbelievable.

gohardorgohome
18-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Will Minson and Shaun Higgins attended a function at our local football club this week. Both were great contributors during the evening. Will spoke of his work with Red Dust Role Models http://www.reddust.org.au/ since we was 18. Sean's insights into the changes in the levels of fitness were interesting. They did our club proud.

Bulldog4life
18-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Will Minson and Shaun Higgins attended a function at our local football club this week. Both were great contributors during the evening. Will spoke of his work with Red Dust Role Models http://www.reddust.org.au/ since we was 18. Sean's insights into the changes in the levels of fitness were interesting. They did our club proud.

Something positive. I like it.

LostDoggy
20-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm not excusing it — if true, it's a disgusting thing to say to a kid — but everybody has their bad days. I had Luke Darcy tell me to f**k off one day when I was asking for a signature on my kids' shirt (kid wasnt there) but by the look on his face, he'd probably just had a really shit day.

I used to bug the crap out of Steve Wallis as a kid (I lived across the road from Essendon Mazda) and once or twice I got told to “get lost” in no uncertain terms, but importantly, the good experiences with players over my lifetime (and my kids') fair outweigh the bad.

Approach the same players again this week and you'd probably get the total opposite reaction. They are human beings.

bornadog
20-08-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm not excusing it — if true, it's a disgusting thing to say to a kid — but everybody has their bad days. I had Luke Darcy tell me to f**k off one day when I was asking for a signature on my kids' shirt (kid wasnt there) but by the look on his face, he'd probably just had a really shit day.

I used to bug the crap out of Steve Wallis as a kid (I lived across the road from Essendon Mazda) and once or twice I got told to “get lost” in no uncertain terms, but importantly, the good experiences with players over my lifetime (and my kids') fair outweigh the bad.

Approach the same players again this week and you'd probably get the total opposite reaction. They are human beings.

Yes its going to happen, but sending two players to Williamstown Auskick where the majority are wearing bulldog kits is no excuse for a bad day.

LostDoggy
22-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes its going to happen, but sending two players to Williamstown Auskick where the majority are wearing bulldog kits is no excuse for a bad day.

Yeah, have to agree with you.

bornadog
22-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah, have to agree with you.

My friend has drafted his letter citing three examples and will be sending it through today. He is fairly positive and should be good feedback to the club.

LostDoggy
22-08-2012, 04:36 PM
My friend has drafted his letter citing three examples and will be sending it through today. He is fairly positive and should be good feedback to the club.

Good - the right way to approach something that's bothering you. Put it in writing to appropriate person. What a disheartening experience for the little kids that were snubbed. Will be interested to hear about the Club's response BAD.

Ghost Dog
22-08-2012, 04:46 PM
I think someone will read it. We need the club and the club needs us. At times I think players can have their heads in the clouds and forget it is symbiotic.

bornadog
22-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Good - the right way to approach something that's bothering you. Put it in writing to appropriate person. What a disheartening experience for the little kids that were snubbed. Will be interested to hear about the Club's response BAD.

I will let you know what the response is. He addressed the letter to all the signatories of the letter we got with the Bulldog Mag.

always right
22-08-2012, 09:14 PM

On the basis of this one incident.....really?

Not doubting that this occurred but I'm surprised.....my experience has always been the opposite whenever I've seen our players interact with fans.

AndrewP6
22-08-2012, 09:20 PM
On the basis of this one incident.....really?

Not doubting that this occurred but I'm surprised.....my experience has always been the opposite whenever I've seen our players interact with fans.

Just a comment on that incident. Young folk today defiinitely are different.

bornadog
29-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Update

My mate will be in the rooms an hour before the game this Sunday, to meet with a few people (he thinks it will be Garlick and maybe some one else), to discuss his letter. His son will also meet the players and run out onto the ground.

The club must be commended for taking this seriously and listening to fans.

KT31
29-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Update

My mate will be in the rooms an hour before the game this Sunday, to meet with a few people (he thinks it will be Garlick and maybe some one else), to discuss his letter. His son will also meet the players and run out onto the ground.

Great positive reaction from the club.
Imagine this will make a few of your pup's mates jealous.

w3design
29-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Pleased to hear it but even more important was there feedback given to the players concerned and acknowledgement that players must do better ie it's good that this outcome is happening but it would be good to feel steps are in place so it isn't repeated.

bornadog
29-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Pleased to hear it but even more important was there feedback given to the players concerned and acknowledgement that players must do better ie it's good that this outcome is happening but it would be good to feel steps are in place so it isn't repeated.

As I mentioned, they are going to discuss it on Sunday, so will let you know what the feedback from the club is.

westdog54
30-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Update

Agree 100%. Well done to the club for doing what they can to rebuild the bridges.

LostDoggy
31-08-2012, 01:24 PM
It odd hearing this, around 06 I used to get autographs just from running into the bulldogs emergencies at games

cinder
31-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Wow, that is awesome for your mate. I hope he has a great time

Eastdog
31-08-2012, 08:58 PM
They were very good at talking and signing autographs when I attended the East Meets West Training Day in January.

Maddog37
21-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this but did anyone else get an invite to a show with the coach etc on October 17 at the Kennel?

Has anyone been to one before and if so was it good?

Cheers in advance.

bornadog
21-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this but did anyone else get an invite to a show with the coach etc on October 17 at the Kennel?

Cheers in advance.

I got one for the 18th Of October, it was headed up reserved seat member event.

Good initiative by the club.

azabob
21-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I got one for the 18th Of October, it was headed up reserved seat member event.

Good initiative by the club.

I also got one for the Thursday night. Will you go BAD & Maddog?

Maddog37
21-09-2012, 10:44 AM
That's the one. Really looking forward to it.

bornadog
21-09-2012, 10:54 AM
I also got one for the Thursday night. Will you go BAD & Maddog?

Yes I have accepted.

Lets say hello if you go, its a BBQ so will be informal.

Maddog37
21-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I hope to go.

azabob
21-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes I have accepted.

Lets say hello if you go, its a BBQ so will be informal.

I will take you up on that offer, I have just sent my RSVP. I look forward to it.

dadsgirl16
21-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I accepted also...its a good idea by the membership dept I reckon

hope to say hi to fellow WOOFers

Maddog37
21-09-2012, 04:43 PM
How will we know who each other is?

Desipura
21-09-2012, 04:55 PM
I do not believe I received an invite, it would have been good to attend.

bornadog
21-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I do not believe I received an invite, it would have been good to attend.

If you reserve seats you should get an invite.

GVGjr
21-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Cheers in advance.

Mine is on the 16th.

Max469
21-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Mine is the 18th

jeemak
22-09-2012, 03:24 AM
I don't have a reserved seat. Basically I like to stand at the football, and move around depending on who's in my vicinity etc.

Is there an opportunity for non-seated members to buy a ticket to this event?

Maddog37
22-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Mine is actually the 18th.

LostDoggy
24-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't have a reserved seat. Basically I like to stand at the football, and move around depending on who's in my vicinity etc.

Is there an opportunity for non-seated members to buy a ticket to this event?

Mine is for Thursday 18th October. You can pretend to be me if you like as I won't be going. PM me if interested. :)

bornadog
24-09-2012, 12:43 PM
You can pretend to be me if you like as I won't be going. PM me if interested. :)

Jeemak will look good in a skirt and wig, or is Jeemak a girl??:D

BulldogBelle
31-10-2012, 10:12 PM
So what was the response to the complaint? Good to hear they have acted on it to some extent.

jeemak
31-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Mine is for Thursday 18th October. You can pretend to be me if you like as I won't be going. PM me if interested. :)

Jeemak will look good in a skirt and wig, or is Jeemak a girl??:D

Goodness me, Suz 32 thank you so much for the offer, albeit belatedly. Very kind of you, I must have missed it.

You'll have to figure it out for yourself BAD. Irrespective of gender, I reckon I'd have the pins to pull it off :D

bornadog
31-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Goodness me, Suz 32 thank you so much for the offer, albeit belatedly. Very kind of you, I must have missed it.

You'll have to figure it out for yourself BAD. Irrespective of gender, I reckon I'd have the pins to pull it off :D

Male or female doesn't worry me, I enjoy reading your posts.

jeemak
31-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Male or female doesn't worry me, I enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks, and likewise.

LostDoggy
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM

You're welcome, sorry you missed the post. :)

Murphy'sLore
16-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I thought I'd share a good news story from our membership department. When we renewed our memberships this year, each member of the family received a personal email thanking them for their support. However my younger daughter (8) missed out, and she felt quite hurt that she'd been overlooked. I wrote to the membership dept and asked if they could send her an email too (can't afford to let these things fester, we need all the members we can get!).

The next day (today) they sent her her very own "from Luke Dahlhaus" email, as well as a certificate they'd mocked up saying WE LOVE YOU EVIE. Now I can tell you, this is going to absolutely make her day and will probably cement her as a true Bulldog for life.

These little things can make such a difference and kudos to those involved for getting onto it so fast.

Bulldog4life
16-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I thought I'd share a good news story from our membership department. When we renewed our memberships this year, each member of the family received a personal email thanking them for their support. However my younger daughter (8) missed out, and she felt quite hurt that she'd been overlooked. I wrote to the membership dept and asked if they could send her an email too (can't afford to let these things fester, we need all the members we can get!).

The next day (today) they sent her her very own "from Luke Dahlhaus" email, as well as a certificate they'd mocked up saying WE LOVE YOU EVIE. Now I can tell you, this is going to absolutely make her day and will probably cement her as a true Bulldog for life.

These little things can make such a difference and kudos to those involved for getting onto it so fast.

Great story Murph. We always hear about the "negatives" about the membership dept so it is great to hear a feel good story

LongWait
16-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Well done by the club.

I'm sure you've already thought of this Murph - but it would be great if you followed up with a thank-you email to those involved - reinforcement of positive behaviour increases the likelihood of it being repeated.

Murphy'sLore
16-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Did it straight away :)

EasternWest
16-11-2012, 01:38 PM

That's brilliant.

BulldogBelle
16-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Aw what a great story! Nice one Murphy'sLore :)