PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 22

westdog54
26-08-2012, 10:40 AM
This is the round 22 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Geelong is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10557)on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

LostDoggy
26-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Banker - Grant for his goal kicking today. Howard for his goal late. Mitch just gets the ball a lot!

Anchor - Howard's kick for goal early. Jongs awful turnover kick 15 mtrs directly to a cat in our back 50. Too many missed opportunities and turnovers.

always right
26-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Bankers:

Boyd...46 touches and by my reckoning the overwhelming majority were constructive. Enormous game from the captain
Djerkurra...I don't really rate him but he was outstanding today. To his credit he may have given himself a chance saving his career.
Skinner...I've bagged him for weeks now. Again to his credit I saw the first signs today that he may have something. Long way to go though. That missed goal in the last didn't do his cause any favours.

Apologies to Howard, Minson and Cooney. Touches of the old Cooney today.

Anchors:

Dwayne Russell...tool of the highest order. His lovefest with Geelong is unbearable. Some of his comments today were cringeworthy
Dickson...like him a lot but really struggled to impact the game today
Markovic...for every great thing he does, he buggers two things up.

Eastdog
26-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Bankers:

Boyd - 46 disposals as you come to expect from a star player
Grant - Did some good things today and got a few goals
Howard - One of the better games for him today

Few other mentions: Cooney, DJ and Minson all were very good.

Anchors

DJ's mucking up of the ball
Lin Jong turnovers but we need to cut Jong some slack he'll learn from that

always right
26-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Banker - Grant for his goal kicking today. Howard for his goal late. Mitch just gets the ball a lot!

Anchor - Howard's kick for goal early. Jongs awful turnover kick 15 mtrs directly to a cat in our back 50. Too many missed opportunities and turnovers.

Know what you're saying about Jong. Probably responsible for three goals due to his poor disposal by foot...but I reckon there's a lot to work with. His ability to run and find the ball is outstanding and he is fearless. Who thought he would show this much potential?

Hotdog60
26-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Banker - Minson and his ruck work, Jong's attack on the ball and his 1st goal and Djerrkura's 3rd quarter tease.

Anchor - Jong's short passes in the back line, Skinner's fitness if he can build that he may have something and our overall disposal which makes our losses even worse.

Overall a lot could be taken out of todays game and I'll see if there can be another kick forward next week.

bornadog
26-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Bankers

Boyd with his 46 and hardly any clangers, played a very creative game today.

Wallis - Got to be the rising star this year.

Howard - I thought he attacked the ball with vigor and got lots of it and nice to get a couple of goals as well.

Anchors

Markovic - Does some nice spoils every now and then, but really he is not up to AFL standard.

Turnovers that cost goals and the game. As Mantis said, we really have to work on our skill level as we don't have very many good kickers.

Umpiring - Once more what a joke eg Free to Stokes for taking a dive and many more examples.

Eastdog
26-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Know what you're saying about Jong. Probably responsible for three goals due to his poor disposal by foot...but I reckong there's a lot to work with. His ability to run and find the ball is outstanding and he is fearless. Who thought he would show this much potential?

He also has a lot of courage and at times has gone in hard. Heaps of potential with Lin Jong from what I've seen from his 3 games in his career.

LostDoggy
26-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Know what you're saying about Jong. Probably responsible for three goals due to his poor disposal by foot...but I reckon there's a lot to work with. His ability to run and find the ball is outstanding and he is fearless. Who thought he would show this much potential?

Absolutely agree, I'm excited for this lad, he is very raw but plenty of time on his side. It's incredible that he is playing AFL this year and winning the ball but that kick was a shocker.

LongWait
26-08-2012, 07:20 PM

Maybe our recruiting staff are not absolute flogs after all? Agree that Jong has been a revelation and has a lot to work with.

GVGjr
26-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Maybe our recruiting staff are not absolute flogs after all? Agree that Jong has been a revelation and has a lot to work with.

They do a pretty good job at identifying the players but I think the rookie list promotions have helped them no end. They got very lucky with Dahlhaus.

bornadog
26-08-2012, 07:56 PM
They do a pretty good job at identifying the players but I think the rookie list promotions have helped them no end. They got very lucky with Dahlhaus.

I don't think it matters whether a player comes through the rookie list or the main draft, as long as we get it right.

Eastdog
26-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't think it matters whether a player comes through the rookie list or the main draft, as long as we get it right.

Agree. I hope this draft goes well for us and we see the results of that in a couple of years time come through.

GVGjr
26-08-2012, 08:11 PM

I think it does. If the players in the National draft don't measure up in comparison to the rookie list then there is something wrong with our approach. The rookie list should be used to unearth a gem or add some depth to the playing list not to balance things out for missed opportunities at the National Draft.
Skinner and Hill ahead of Dahlhaus isn't actually great drafting. From memory we wanted to take Hill to stop GWS from getting him. As a result we left the door ajar with Dahlhaus and we are lucky that no one pounced beforehand.

westbulldog
26-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Bankers
Boyd - outstanding 4 quarter effort
Howard - his best game and an indicator of his potential.
Wallis - another high quality game, a couple of his fine tackles were not rewarded.
Cooney - welcome back.
With apologies to Minson , Djerrkura and GriffEn who all had very good games.

Anchors
A few turnovers. Overlook them as the effort and commitment is encouraging.

SlimPickens
26-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Bankers

Wallis- His work in close today with excellent. Was most impressed with his tackling pressure.

Boyd/Griffen-Both played very good games today, ball use was very good which we haven't been able to say about both these blokes at times this year.

Talia- Body work for an 18 year old was very good. Was not overawed in 1 on 1 contests with JPod.

Anchor-

Marco- Costly turnovers at stages and really struggled at times.

Poor Skill- especially by foot in crucial times. Very disappointed with some basic errors.

Half Forwards- Just didn't offer enough early in the game. Some worked there way into it nicely but particularly early Hunt, Enright etc had a field day.

Cyberdoggie
27-08-2012, 12:43 PM

You would hope that we get our top drafts right more than we do our rookies.
Especially this year. These first two picks are so critical to the long term future of the side it's not funny.

Could get two Buddy Franklins, to two Tim Walsh's.

:cool:

Eastdog
27-08-2012, 12:53 PM
You would hope that we get our top drafts right more than we do our rookies.
Especially this year. These first two picks are so critical to the long term future of the side it's not funny.

Could get two Buddy Franklins, to two Tim Walsh's.

:cool:

It is critical this draft. It could work for us but it could also not work. The signs will show in a few years.

LostDoggy
27-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Bankers:

Boyd...46 touches and by my reckoning the overwhelming majority were constructive. Enormous game from the captain
Djerkurra...I don't really rate him but he was outstanding today. To his credit he may have given himself a chance saving his career.
Skinner...I've bagged him for weeks now. Again to his credit I saw the first signs today that he may have something. Long way to go though. That missed goal in the last didn't do his cause any favours.

Apologies to Howard, Minson and Cooney. Touches of the old Cooney today.

Anchors:

Dwayne Russell...tool of the highest order. His lovefest with Geelong is unbearable. Some of his comments today were cringeworthy
Dickson...like him a lot but really struggled to impact the game today
Markovic...for every great thing he does, he buggers two things up.

Absolutely agree. I lasted till half way through the first quarter before turning the sound completely off so I could no longer hear what that moron was on about. Completely condescending towards the Bulldogs and hero worshipping every action by Geelong

Agree cringeworthy

whythelongface
27-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Bankers
DJ - thought he was really good in patches and showed what he can do.
Skinner - as per DJ
Jong - like his attack on the ball.
2nd Half - considering our fade outs it was certainly good to see the boys dig in and take it to Geelong. Let's hope it is a sign of things to come next year.
Boyd - great game from the captain. His disposal is often much maligned, however today it was very good. Hopefully it is an area of his game that he will work on.

Anchors
Turnovers - a number of times we turned it over lead to Geelong goals - particularly kicks straight to the opposition.

Ozza
27-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Bankers:

Boyd/Griffen/Wallis/Minson - clearance work was very good.
J.Grant - Took his opportunities.
Picken - job on Stevie J was very good.
Roughead and Talia - a good effort on a good duo of power forwards.

Anchors:

-So many numbers in defence that we had nobody to kick to once we got the ball.
-Dickson and Markovic had poor games.
- Skinner's attempts to tackle.

LostDoggy
27-08-2012, 03:32 PM
DJ's performance was light years above that previously displayed. If he played like that every week we would be rushing to re-sign him.

One blemish, just to remind us of his ball-handling skills, saw him running with the ball, making no attempt to bounce it, kick it or handball it and he just simply dropped the pill which was gathered by the opposition who raced away with it to goal.

So bad it was funny.

Nearly as funny as the game when Tutt got a free for around the neck???