PDA

View Full Version : AFL Final Series 2012

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
01-09-2012, 11:26 PM
This is for discussion of the AFL finals series for 2012.

Week 1

Friday 7th September

Hawthorn v Collingwood MCG (N) - Qualifying Final

Saturday 8th September

Adelaide v Sydney AAMI Stadium - Qualifying Final
Geelong v Fremantle MCG (N) - Elimination Final

Sunday 9th September

West Coast v North Melbourne Subiaco Oval - Elimination Final

azabob
01-09-2012, 11:33 PM
North's inability to beat GWS by 12 goals plus has really cost them and Fremantle any chance of progressing past the first week.

LostDoggy
02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
This Finals Series, I hope to see Geelong push their way through Freo, possibly Sydney and then come up against Hawthorn in the Prelim. Would make for one bloody interesting game.

bornadog
02-09-2012, 08:18 PM
I hope Freo win the flag.

azabob
02-09-2012, 08:52 PM
I hope Freo win the flag.

It is a shame they have to come to Melbourne.

Strangely enough I want to see Geelong or Sydney to win.

Maddog37
02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I really don't care who wins as long as it is not Hawthorn.

Ghost Dog
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I hope Geelong beats Hawthorn by a kick ( Tom Hawkins )
( By the way, Hawkins is Doug's nephew, are there any other Hawkins kids coming through?)

azabob
02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
I hope Geelong beats Hawthorn by a kick ( Tom Hawkins )
( By the way, Hawkins is Doug's nephew, are there any other Hawkins kids coming through?)

I didn't think they were related.

Ghost Dog
02-09-2012, 09:38 PM
I didn't think they were related.

Yeah, they are it turns out. My mum heard Hawkins say so on the radio.

Sockeye Salmon
02-09-2012, 10:56 PM

That would make Jack Hawkins Doug's brother and I know that's not true.

AndrewP6
02-09-2012, 11:06 PM
That would make Jack Hawkins Doug's brother and I know that's not true.

I thought that, but couldn't find something on the web to back it up.

Greystache
02-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Disappointed we didn't get the Perth Derby and Geelong vs Norf.

I think Geelong will account for Fremantle and WCE will smash Norf.

Sedat
02-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I think Geelong will account for Fremantle and WCE will smash Norf.
I reckon Geelong and Freo will be much closer than the odds suggest. Freo are in terrific form and will be very difficult to break down. It certainly won't be the walk in the park many are expecting for the Cats.

Greystache
02-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I reckon Geelong and Freo will be much closer than the odds suggest. Freo are in terrific form and will be very difficult to break down. It certainly won't be the walk in the park many are expecting for the Cats.

Yeah I think they'll be competitive but I think Geelong will have more players who'll step up on the day due to experience. I could've seen Fremantle knocking off West Coast.

I've seen a bit of Norf this year, their play on at all costs, reliance on precision disposal game plan is made to be torn apart in September. I'm looking for to B Scott being shown up.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-09-2012, 02:13 AM
I'd be very surprised if Fremantle got within 5 goals of Geelong.

chef
03-09-2012, 09:01 AM

And Lyon has a pretty good game plan against the Cats.

Maddog37
03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Freo might be light on for tall backs now. Hawkins , Pods and maybe Harry Taylor forward would be hard to handle.

LostDoggy
03-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd be very surprised if Fremantle got within 5 goals of Geelong.

Agree. If it was in Perth I would give them a chance, but down here their record is very poor, and the forwards will give them a big headache. Geelong by 9 goals for mine.

The Underdog
03-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Agree. If it was in Perth I would give them a chance, but down here their record is very poor, and the forwards will give them a big headache. Geelong by 9 goals for mine.

They won 4 of 5 in Melbourne this year and lost to Collingwood at the G. I'd suggest their recent Melbourne form is pretty good. I would have tipped them against West Coast and think they'll run Geelong pretty close. The McPharlin injury might just be the killer though.

I'm really disappointed we didn't get the derby, would have been fantastic.

LostDoggy
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
They won 4 of 5 in Melbourne this year and lost to Collingwood at the G. I'd suggest their recent Melbourne form is pretty good. I would have tipped them against West Coast and think they'll run Geelong pretty close. The McPharlin injury might just be the killer though.

I'm really disappointed we didn't get the derby, would have been fantastic.

Sorry should have said specifically at the MCG.

They have beaten Richmond there this year, but before then it was 10 straight losses.

Ozza
04-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Its possible Doug may have said this as a joke.

I've heard him refer to Jennifer Hawkins as his 'niece' before at a sportsman's lunch.

LostDoggy
04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Screamin' Jay Hawkins the blues artist his uncle.

LostDoggy
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
How sad is it being a bulldog supporter?
A finals forum on here, and all we can relate to it is an old champion of our club might be a relative of someone playing in the finals this year.
What's worse is we are discussing the words 'might be'. We still aren't good enough to get an 'is'.

chef
05-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Nice to see an Aussie band at the peak of their powers headlining the GF half time show in The Temper Trap.

LostDoggy
05-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Nice to see an Aussie band at the peak of their powers headlining the GF half time show in The Temper Trap.

What no return of Meatloaf or even Angry Anderson?

Maddog37
05-09-2012, 02:43 PM
The bat mobile really defines bad GF entertainment for me.

bornadog
05-09-2012, 03:01 PM
The bat mobile really defines bad GF entertainment for me.

Great Idea this year to have entertainment at the end of the GF . If your team loses you won't want to hang around.

Eastdog
07-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Well that's the first match of the finals series done and the Hawks get a week off and are going to be really tough to beat. Can the Pies still win the flag? Im not sure now.

Sedat
08-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Can the Pies still win the flag? Im not sure now.
10 goals out of Cloke & Krak, big game by Swan, still lose by 6 goals. Their 16-22 players are not contributing anywhere near enough - this was their great strength in 2010 and even last year.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Their forward line is woeful.

Cloke is obviously a quality player and Krakouer is a very handy addition, but who else is there? Dawes is a spud, Sinclair/Fasolo inexperienced, Blair has had a poor season (why play him midfield?), Didak is unfit/finished, Goldsack's injured (and not overly dangerous anyway).

Thomas floats through there but he's nowhere near as damaging as he was in 2010. Sidebottom is an exclusive midfielder now.

They really need to find some forwards.

Greystache
08-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Collingwood don't seem to have anywhere near the same level of structure they have had previously. People can question Malthouse but he had the team playing as a team this year they're relying on individual brilliance, it's not going to work.

Hotdog60
08-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Good to see the wobbles go down, I really took a dislike to Buckley when he ditched the Bears and went to Collingwood in wanting to play in a premiership team.
Him and Voss would have made a damaging duo and didn't he make the wrong career choice, then he pushed Malthouse out so he could grab some glory of Malthouses work.

I hope this bloke never gets to experience a Grand Final win.

ledge
08-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I love the way the last few months the feral supporters have all turned on cloke and he then puts in a great game like that.

Will enjoy reminding them how much they hate cloke.

Daisy Thomas the new Leon Davis of finals footy not that we didn't know he was soft anyway. I knew once the game started and it was physical he wouldn't be sighted.

Sedat
08-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Good to see the wobbles go down, I really took a dislike to Buckley when he ditched the Bears and went to Collingwood in wanting to play in a premiership team.
The story of how he knocked back Norf is even better. He had signed up a heads of agreement to join the Kangaroos, and literally at the last minute he backed out of it and went to Collingwood instead. He personally told Pagan that he was joining Collingwood to win flags - and didn't the Norf players take great delight in absolutely terrorising him every time he played them, Pagan whipping them into a rabid frenzy each time in the rooms beforehand.

LongWait
08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
The story of how he knocked back Norf is even better. He had signed up a heads of agreement to join the Kangaroos, and literally at the last minute he backed out of it and went to Collingwood instead. He personally told Pagan that he was joining Collingwood to win flags - and didn't the Norf players take great delight in absolutely terrorising him every time he played them, Pagan whipping them into a rabid frenzy each time in the rooms beforehand.

And North went on to win the flag in 96 and 99 and Brisbane in 2001, 02 and 03. Five potential flags Buckley turned his back on. Karma for FIGJAM.

Mantis
08-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Daisy Thomas the new Leon Davis of finals footy not that we didn't know he was soft anyway. I knew once the game started and it was physical he wouldn't be sighted.

That's ridiculous.

Thomas was one of the reasons why they won the flag in 2010... He had a cracked rib thru that finals period and was an excellent performer.

Ghost Dog
08-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Had he stayed at Brisbane, his trophy cabinet would be pretty full. Must be kind of a sore point with him. Joining a big club is never a certainty of a flag. Better to go where the best people are. Ask Nathan Brown.

Ghost Dog
08-09-2012, 11:08 AM
That's ridiculous.

Thomas was one of the reasons why they won the flag in 2010... He had a cracked rib thru that finals period and was an excellent performer.

Has the most odd shaped chest in football. Looks like he swallowed a BBQ. Hard as nails that bloke

Tii1_cbfj3w

Kill Wilbur....Kill!!!

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I still think Collingwood are a chance. Most likely they will play WC in Melbourne, which they should win given the crowd and umpiring. Crows or Swan prelim. They have won interstate finals in both Sydney and Adelaide before.

GVGjr
08-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I still think Collingwood are a chance. Most likely they will play WC in Melbourne, which they should win given the crowd and umpiring. Crows or Swan prelim. They have won interstate finals in both Sydney and Adelaide before.

They are still a quality side and things may very well fall their way.

bornadog
08-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I hope they are out in straight sets

Ghost Dog
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM

Tarrant tried his darndest against Buddy didn't he? Was a good fight, but Tarrant had poor support. Too many passengers Collingwood. Sidebottom, Blair, had failry quiet games. Hawthorn are a killer team in all areas but the backline. They look a bit clueless at times and Cloke looked dominant against everyone they could throw at him.

Topdog
08-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Daisy has already proven himself in the finals. He has been pretty crap all year, no idea why he hasn't had the blow torch applied - probably because of Dawes and Cloke

Topdog
08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Pies will lose to WC next week. Cloke won't have anywhere the impact and teams no longer fear Collingwood. Everything Buckley deserves

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 01:02 PM

If North Melbourne beat West Coast on Sunday they could well go out in straight sets as North beat them comfortably last time although that was at Etihad not the MCG. If West Coast wins I think they will have enough too win and go through being at the MCG to the prelim final. They definitely have drop of the pace very slightly this year Collingwood.

ledge
08-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't think the captain will have any more games this year after what he did worth 2 games at least.

Sedat
08-09-2012, 01:21 PM
They are on the cushier side of the draw now. Also their uber-dud captain won't be playing next week at least, so they might actually have some semi-decent delivery off half-back now.

bornadog
08-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Daisy has already proven himself in the finals. He has been pretty crap all year, no idea why he hasn't had the blow torch applied - probably because of Dawes and Cloke

Funny thing is Cloke has had the blow torch on him yet he has kicked over 50 goals and been in the top 5 for contested marks. He is a real power forward.

bornadog
08-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Tarrant tried his darndest against Buddy didn't he? Was a good fight, but Tarrant had poor support.

Unfortunately for Tarrant he was punching out of his weight division and tried to use the tactics to get Buddy upset, but to Buddies credit he was very disciplined.

Topdog
08-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Funny thing is Cloke has had the blow torch on him yet he has kicked over 50 goals and been in the top 5 for contested marks. He is a real power forward.

yeah there are stats and then there is reality though.

The reality is he kicked 16 goals in 10 games against teams in the top 8. he also took 38 marks (not only contested) in those 10 games.

As a comparison in 4 games against Ess (x2), GWS and GC he kicked 17 goals and took 43 marks.

bornadog
08-09-2012, 02:23 PM
yeah there are stats and then there is reality though.

The reality is he kicked 16 goals in 10 games against teams in the top 8. he also took 38 marks (not only contested) in those 10 games.

As a comparison in 4 games against Ess (x2), GWS and GC he kicked 17 goals and took 43 marks.

You also have to look at the midfield performance as well, because its those guys delivering (or lack of ) to the forward line that Cloke has missed out on. Pendles missed a lot of games, Swan not as proficient as previous years, Wellingham has an average of 52% disposal efficiency. Beams has been good, but playing a lone hand and Thomas has not had a good year. They have also tried Blair and Siddebottom in the midfield with little success.

azabob
08-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately for Tarrant he was punching out of his weight division and tried to use the tactics to get Buddy upset, but to Buddies credit he was very disciplined.

Also to Hawthorns credit they were disciplined as a team which in previous season's they wouldn't have been.

Topdog
08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
You also have to look at the midfield performance as well, because its those guys delivering (or lack of ) to the forward line that Cloke has missed out on. Pendles missed a lot of games, Swan not as proficient as previous years, Wellingham has an average of 52% disposal efficiency. Beams has been good, but playing a lone hand and Thomas has not had a good year. They have also tried Blair and Siddebottom in the midfield with little success.

Thats fine but 16 in 10 says it all really. The fact that those 16 included a haul of 5 against WCE makes it even worse. 11 goals in 9 games, I don't care how bad your midfield is, that is just crap

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Taylor Walker needs to be slapped. Worst head ever. Someone tell him the mullet looks stupid and was funny for 5 seconds.

Swans up by 24 in the 3rd. If they win it just shows how unfair the draw is. Adelaide's top 2 finish was undeserved.

DOG GOD
08-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Swans are squeezing the crows running style. How hard bodied are those swans. Crows will need 6-7 goals in the last. Dangerfield needs to kick 4 of them.

bornadog
08-09-2012, 06:10 PM
If they win it just shows how unfair the draw is. Adelaide's top 2 finish was undeserved.

They had a dream draw with GWS and GC twice, plus Port twice.

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I can't see the Pies losing to West Coast in Melbourne even though it was 3 points difference there last time. The crowd is a huge factor.
They are on the easier side of the draw now it looks as though Sydney will win.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I can't see the Pies losing to West Coast in Melbourne even though it was 3 points difference there last time. The crowd is a huge factor.
They are on the easier side of the draw now it looks as though Sydney will win.

They will have a longer break Collingwood compared to both West Coast and North Melbourne obviously. The trip from Perth (for either West Coast or North Melbourne) is another reason why Collingwood will go in favourites.

Tonight's match Im still tipping the Cats to win but the Dockers won't make it easy for them and they have been in very good form.

Remi Moses
08-09-2012, 06:42 PM
10 goals out of Cloke & Krak, big game by Swan, still lose by 6 goals. Their 16-22 players are not contributing anywhere near enough - this was their great strength in 2010 and even last year.

Pies were 17 from 17 with Cloke kicking 4 goals or more.
I agree the last 5 players are no longer their strength.
Guys like Thomas and Dawes aren't playing well either, and I reckon the hunger isn't quite there

Remi Moses
08-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Swans are squeezing the crows running style. How hard bodied are those swans. Crows will need 6-7 goals in the last. Dangerfield needs to kick 4 of them.

Just further proves that contested ball wins finals.
O'keefe , Kennedy and Bolton outstanding

azabob
08-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Great win by the Swans.

It is said numerous times, you always know what you are going to get, now they have outside speed as well.

Shame they are forced to play at ANZ stadium rather than SCG.

Sedat
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Interestingly, CP stats were even today but Sydney killed them on the spread. Crows also had 22 more inside 50's - 59 inside 50's for 5 goals is Bulldogs-esque

bornadog
08-09-2012, 07:24 PM

But Adelaide matched them for contested ball. It was the spread that Swans are able to achieve and what they can do after the contested ball. Contested ball isnot the only thing that wins games.

Edit, Didn't see Sedat's post, but obviously I agree.

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 07:27 PM

I had a play on the AFL ladder predictor and came out as Hawthorn beating Collingwood in the GF. I still rate them.

bornadog
08-09-2012, 07:28 PM
I had a play on the AFL ladder predictor and came out as Hawthorn beating Collingwood in the GF. I still rate them.

Swans now have a home Prelim, which will give them a boost.

chef
08-09-2012, 07:30 PM

Adelaide kicked 1 goal 7 from set shots. Swans kicked 5 goals straight. The Crows had enough chances but just blew it.

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Interestingly, CP stats were even today but Sydney killed them on the spread. Crows also had 22 more inside 50's - 59 inside 50's for 5 goals is Bulldogs-esque

Tippett was hardly sighted, Walker dropped a few chest marks.
Contested footy overated.
Swans won cost their defence out played the Adelaide forward line.
Swans controlled the tempo.

azabob
08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Swans now have a home Prelim, which will give them a boost.

Home ground advantage isn't really there, especially if they play Collingwood.

Shame really.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Home ground advantage isn't really there, especially if they play Collingwood.

Shame really.

Sydney's recent record against Collingwood isn't good and if the Pies go through to play Sydney they I would say be favourites to beat Sydney.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Great start from the Dockers. They are all over the Cats at the moment.

comrade
08-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Great start from the Dockers. They are all over the Cats at the moment.

Should be further up. Lyon knows how to coach teams that can perform at the pointy end.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Should be further up. Lyon knows how to coach teams that can perform at the pointy end.

14 scoring shot to 1 scoring shot. 42 point Freo. Going to be hard for the Cats now.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 09:37 PM
You would not have bet that Geelong would be goalless over half way in the 2nd qtr.

comrade
08-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I can't stand it when Selwood rolls the shoulders. I know it's within the rules but it shits me.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Here come the Cats. The comeback is on. They have really picked up now.

AndrewP6
08-09-2012, 09:45 PM

I'm not so sure, they're still a long way down. BT ridiculously over excited. Come on Freo!

Remi Moses
08-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Not saying it's the only aspect? But it does loom large.
Key players Kennedy, Sewell and Mitchell last night.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm not so sure, they're still a long way down. BT ridiculously over excited. Come on Freo!

Freo score one but the Cats intensity has lifted dramatically and it would not surprise if they win. Freo may in the end thank there great start.

azabob
08-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Freo score one but the Cats intensity has lifted dramatically and it would not surprise if they win. Freo may in the end thank there great start.

For the supposed comeback they only out scored Freo by a couple of points.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 10:09 PM
For the supposed comeback they only out scored Freo by a couple of points.

The 3rd qtr will be important for the Cats now.

Go_Dogs
08-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Agreed, his style really holds up under finals pressure. Freo look very good, some serious star power and a good mix of cattle all over the park. Big test for them next week now, Crows fans are rejoicing (perhaps prematurely I think!) that they'll play Freo not Geelong.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 10:46 PM
You would say Freo have got this match pretty wrapped up but it won't surprise me if the Cats come close.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Here come the Cats again. Freo would be nervous. If Freo kick away they have got it.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Pavlich is a star.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 11:15 PM
That's it and Freo will advance to the semis and take on the Crows next week.

bornadog
08-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Nice to see the Cats out of it, they have had their turn. Maybe won't even make the finals next year, they are an ageing team.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Nice to see the Cats out of it, they have had their turn. Maybe won't even make the finals next year, they are an ageing team.

Their era would come to an end eventually after being up there for so long. Hawthorn be would relieved now.

Remi Moses
08-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Agreed, his style really holds up under finals pressure. Freo look very good, some serious star power and a good mix of cattle all over the park. Big test for them next week now, Crows fans are rejoicing (perhaps prematurely I think!) that they'll play Freo not Geelong.

Should be careful what you wish for.
Wonderful coaching effort from Lyon, biggest win in the clubs history

bornadog
08-09-2012, 11:35 PM

How good is Pav, 6 goals in a final.

Eastdog
08-09-2012, 11:36 PM

He is a champion and when he retires will go down as one of the best.

Remi Moses
08-09-2012, 11:43 PM

They've tipped over now .
Been an incredible ride

Ghost Dog
09-09-2012, 11:56 AM

And a convincing win. You wouldn't say they are a team of stars. guys like McPhee and that are just solid workhorses. Just a tough unit.

Go_Dogs
09-09-2012, 12:40 PM

I had to have a crack at a few Crow supporting mates, they did after all pick Ken McGregor over Pavlich many years ago. :D

Is everyone expecting an easy win for WCE today?

ledge
09-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Was good to see the crows lose after the supporters greeted Sydney at the airport singing the Adelaide theme song, One thing crows supporters don't lack is arrogance when things arelookin a tiny bit up.

How to give an opposition side just a little bit more motivation, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed .

Ghost Dog
09-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Was good to see the crows lose after the supporters greeted Sydney at the airport singing the Adelaide theme song, One thing crows supporters don't lack is arrogance when things arelookin a tiny bit up.

How to give an opposition side just a little bit more motivation, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed .

This is a place where players grow Mullets with unabashed pride.

ledge
09-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Melbourne circa 1980

Go_Dogs
09-09-2012, 01:01 PM

Enough Adelaide bashing - Walker has a mullet, he's from Broken Hill. Maric has one too , and he's from Victoria! Please continue to bash arrogant/feral Crows supporters though, they deserve it.

ledge
09-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Enough Adelaide bashing - Walker has a mullet, he's from Broken Hill. Maric has one too , and he's from Victoria! Please continue to bash arrogant/feral Crows supporters though, they deserve it.

But the mullet grew once they flew over the border.

LostDoggy
09-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm convinced after yesterday that the game has become really boring.
Too many rugby like scrums, backwards movement, defensive stacking, etc. Not even mentioning the over officiating and inconsistency.
There are great stars of the game but the game as a spectical has declined.

jeemak
09-09-2012, 02:11 PM

One of the very best of his era. Probably the most versatile too.

He was always at the top of my hypothetical wish list when we were struggling for one more key player to finish off our list leading in to the 2008-2011 era.

I was pretty confident Freo would get over the line last night.

Ghost Dog
09-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Correct weight. The good people of Adelaide can't be blamed for having a feral footy club. Or two.
Maric grew his with Tex as a bet. IIRC.

mjp
09-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Travel plus short week will impact on Freo. They are going to be sore.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2012, 04:32 PM
North getting flogged in the first quarter.

Disappointing for them, you can't use travel as an excuse. It's finals footy and they are really getting shown up.

ledge
09-09-2012, 04:45 PM
North getting flogged in the first quarter.

Disappointing for them, you can't use travel as an excuse. It's finals footy and they are really getting shown up.

Call it getting finals experience atmosphere

ledge
09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Can someone please tell macavaney to shut up talk about rave on the biggest lead this millennium ! Make it sound like its 100 years

jeemak
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Can someone please tell macavaney to shut up talk about rave on the biggest lead this millennium ! Make it sound like its 100 years

He's definitely got the mania, does Bruce. It's creepy how he has to sprout hyperbole about everything, and sexualise certain players.

He's well and truly past it and should be put out to pasture.

bornadog
09-09-2012, 05:22 PM
He's definitely got the mania, does Bruce. It's creepy how he has to sprout hyperbole about everything, and sexualise certain players.

He's well and truly past it and should be put out to pasture.

There is only one bloke on TV that does a good job with calling the footy, and he is on ABC doing the VFL. I don't know why Fox or Channel 7 don't give him a gig.

jeemak
09-09-2012, 05:29 PM
There is only one bloke on TV that does a good job with calling the footy, and he is on ABC doing the VFL. I don't know why Fox or Channel 7 don't give him a gig.

If you're talking about Peter Donegan I agree with you.

Last night BT just screamed and squeeled throughout the game, and now it seems that some of the calling is supposed to be entertaining rather than informative which results in some cringeful and irrelevant noise spewing from the TV.

I suppose they do their market research, and they carry on the way they do for a reason. Probably another example of the game reaching out for new audience members at the expense of those you'd consider long term.

Ghost Dog
09-09-2012, 06:18 PM
My Dad is a senior Cit. He often gets his words confused. He calls Bruce MaCavaney, Bruce Mugabe. In this instance I think he has it about right!

bornadog
09-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Good quarter from North, they needed one more goal to have any chance in the last.

Harvey will be cited for the hit behind play. God I hate the Eagles and the crowds over there.

bornadog
09-09-2012, 06:23 PM

Last night BT just screamed and squeeled throughout the game, and now it seems that some of the calling is supposed to be entertaining rather than informative which results in some cringeful and irrelevant noise spewing from the TV.

I suppose they do their market research, and they carry on the way they do for a reason. Probably another example of the game reaching out for new audience members at the expense of those you'd consider long term.

How much were they barracking for Geelong last night, they were so pathetic.

Peter Donegan is great.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2012, 06:23 PM

I really can't stand listening to BT commentate, he's the worst I've ever heard. He's not too bright and he tries to compensate with an over enthusiasum - it's cringe worthy.

azabob
09-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I really can't stand listening to BT commentate, he's the worst I've ever heard. He's not too bright and he tries to compensate with an over enthusiasum - it's cringe worthy.

Wowee is the worst "catch phrase" I have ever heard.

I cannot understand why other people / commentators say it.

EasternWest
09-09-2012, 06:30 PM
How much were they barracking for Geelong last night, they were so pathetic.

Peter Donegan is great.

Agreed on Donegan.

I'd just be happy to listen to the footy being commentated, not a tit for tat in-joke session from a boys club.

jeemak
09-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Agreed on Donegan.

I'd just be happy to listen to the footy being commentated, not a tit for tat in-joke session from a boys club.

It is a in-joke fest isn't it.

Greystache
09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Pretty predictable outcome from the WCE- Norf game. The play on at all costs, precision disposal, lack of defensive focus game plan gets put to the sword in finals everytime. Yet somehow Brad Scott thinks it'll be different if he's coach. They need a total overhaul of their game style if they want to be anything more than a 7-10th placed team. Without a dream draw they wouldn't have even made the 8 this year.

Remi Moses
09-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Peter Donegan is very underrated .
There was a stat that Norf have lost 4 of their last 5 finals by an average of 12 goals!:eek:
They looked like a team who was content just to make it.
Not sold on their style, it doesn't stack up in finals.

LostDoggy
09-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Call it getting finals experience atmosphere

Call it only making the finals because of a favourable draw.

Remi Moses
09-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Pavlich has got better playing close to goal.
The penny's dropped for Walters and heard that Crowley (who was on the way out) has lost weight to play in the midfield. All that crap Lyon copped from Freo fans seems like an eternity ago.

Go_Dogs
09-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Pretty predictable outcome from the WCE- Norf game. The play on at all costs, precision disposal, lack of defensive focus game plan gets put to the sword in finals everytime. Yet somehow Brad Scott thinks it'll be different if he's coach. They need a total overhaul of their game style if they want to be anything more than a 7-10th placed team. Without a dream draw they wouldn't have even made the 8 this year.

Spot on, Norf losing like that was very predictable, and nearly as satisfying as the Crows losing.

EasternWest
09-09-2012, 09:08 PM
It is a in-joke fest isn't it.

Very clever jeemak.

Go_Dogs
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Travel plus short week will impact on Freo. They are going to be sore.

No doubt, but I think they should make it very hard for the Crows to kick a winning score. Did pretty well last time at AAMI with no Sandi or Fyfe week after the derby and two weeks after another game at AAMI. Fingers crossed.

jeemak
09-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Very clever jeemak.

I'm not sure what I've done...............

EasternWest
09-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure what I've done...............

Serious? I thought you were playing on the McAvaney "end almost every sentence with a question" line.

Now that I've mentioned it, it's all you'll hear:

"You'd think the Bulldogs are home here, wouldn't you?"

"Gee that Clay Smith is a ripper, isn't he?"

"You just feel that if they get the next one it's curtains, don't you?"

Drives me bananas.

westdog54
09-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Living in Regional Victoria I''m treated to Pete Donegan and Sandy Roberts calling on radio. It is heaven.

jeemak
09-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Hahaha, indeed he does and it's very annoying.

Though, you give me far too much credit!

westdog54
09-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Hahaha, indeed he does and it's very annoying.

Though, you give me far too much credit!

Shouldn't that be 'You give me far too much credit, don't you?'

jeemak
09-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Shouldn't that be 'You give me far too much credit, don't you?'

It certainly should, shouldn't it?

LostDoggy
09-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Serious? I thought you were playing on the McAvaney "end almost every sentence with a question" line.

Now that I've mentioned it, it's all you'll hear:

"You'd think the Bulldogs are home here, wouldn't you?"

"Gee that Clay Smith is a ripper, isn't he?"

"You just feel that if they get the next one it's curtains, don't you?"

Drives me bananas.

I'll only watch games he calls on mute.

LostDoggy
09-09-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm pretty happy that only North seem to be the “shit we were lucky to play a final” team this year. One boring final aside, the rest of September is looking absolutely tantalising.

bornadog
09-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Hawthorn Swans Grand final.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
What about Bruce's favourite new line?

"We know that."

He uses it at least 368 times a game!

chef
10-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Hawthorn Swans Grand final.

I'm hoping so too.

Murphy'sLore
10-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Would make it easy to know who to barrack for!

LostDoggy
10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm glad North Melbourne now hold the 'worst defeat by West Coast in a final' record and not us!! ;)

Eastdog
12-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Week 2 - Semi Finals

Friday

Adelaide v Fremantle AAMI Stadium (N)

Saturday

Collingwood v West Coast MCG (N)

Eastdog
14-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Both these games will be interesting but you would expect the two teams who lost last week and finished top 4 to go through (Adelaide and Collingwood).

Eastdog
14-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Freo doing well against the Crows coming up to half time. The Crowd coming a bit.

Eastdog
14-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Crows get one after the half time siren and they are down by 13 points now.

Ghost Dog
14-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Sloane. How good is that Kid.

LostDoggy
14-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Fyfe! Remind me how we picked Howard before him.

Remi Moses
14-09-2012, 11:42 PM
How about the dreadful crowd?
They go on about to many clubs in Melbourne!
To many club's in Adelaide, clearly.
Freo looked a bit cooked since about halfway through the second.
Remind me how we gave Freo that pick that secured David Mundy?
Stephen Koops

Remi Moses
14-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Before anyone mentions Alex Silvagni as a possible trade, can I say an emphatic NO!

LostDoggy
15-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Home crowd umpiring?

LostDoggy
15-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Before anyone mentions Alex Silvagni as a possible trade, can I say an emphatic NO!
Walker 5.
Lyon has the Jack Anthony look about Silvagni.

bornadog
15-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Home crowd umpiring?

Unbelievable BS free kick to Bogan boy for a small nudge yet two over the shoulders in the goal square, one to Ballantyne and the real obvious one to Mzungu go unnoticed. Really the difference in the end.

Sedat
15-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Walker 5.
Lyon has the Jack Anthony look about Silvagni.
He's already put the red pen through his name. Gee the McPharlin injury came at the worst possible time for Freo - they win tonight if he plays.

Remi Moses
15-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Unbelievable BS free kick to Bogan boy for a small nudge yet two over the shoulders in the goal square, one to Ballantyne and the real obvious one to Mzungu go unnoticed. Really the difference in the end.

Thought Freo got a good run early.
Whinging about umpiring is akin to losers limp.
Walker the difference, for mine.Think Hawthorn will smash Them next week

mighty_west
15-09-2012, 12:31 AM

Agree, agree and agree, on the flip side Hill's free 20 metres out was a shocker, the kick for goal was a bigger shocker.

bornadog
15-09-2012, 12:33 AM

I thought the umpiring was pretty good all night except those three howlers at a vital time.

Hawthorn will smash them

jeemak
15-09-2012, 01:25 AM
I was out tonight. Can anyone provide a summary of the game?

Ghost Dog
15-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Freo fast out of the blocks.
Adelaide were 20 points down, doing just enough to keep in the game, but innacurate and a bit caught in the spotlight.
Walker had poor kicking from set shots, but finally jags one in the first half to keep them in touch, 18 points the difference.

Crowd far down on last week,( 10,000?) but picked up in the second half as Adelaide found more of the ball.
Walker, ,Sloane ( love this kid ) and Porp kept them in it.
Silvagni Out of bounds on the full followed by a 50m penalty given away by Zac Clarke with not long to go sealed it.
Both teams look clumsy compared to Hawthorn.
Pavlich, no show.

jeemak
15-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Thanks Broseph.

Adelaide crowd rolling the dice on playing in a prelim and saving up for that, or do you think they thought they were cooked, or the tickets are too expensive for their supporters?

Remi Moses
15-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Thanks Broseph.

Adelaide crowd rolling the dice on playing in a prelim and saving up for that, or do you think they thought they were cooked, or the tickets are too expensive for their supporters?

I thought the Raven fans were a well heeled lot?
Had have been the Dogs or Norf we'd never hear the end of it

jeemak
15-09-2012, 02:12 AM
I thought the Raven fans were a well heeled lot?
Had have been the Dogs or Norf we'd never hear the end of it

I'm not too sure about that. I know that Port fans are known to come from a lower socio-economic range than the Crows, but I was under the impression that many pockets of Adelaide are struggling right now.

I think we were lucky to have played Sydney twice and Brisbane once in our second week finals appearances in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Each of Sydney and Brisbane have stronger Melbourne based followings than Fremantle, West Coast, Port etc. Our crowds would have been dismal if any of the latter mentioned teams were playing us at the G in the second week of finals.

Alas, I agree though. If it was us or Norf we'd have copped it.

Hotdog60
15-09-2012, 09:38 AM
These two games should be played Saturday and Sunday avro, would we have had players fumbling and slipping over during the day. That's what we get when you dance with the devil. No doubt better for the ratings but is it better for the game, this does get shown to a overseas market and it's already a hard game to workout rules wise.

The skills on show get hampered by not having the best of conditions.

jeemak
15-09-2012, 12:44 PM
These two games should be played Saturday and Sunday avro, would we have had players fumbling and slipping over during the day. That's what we get when you dance with the devil. No doubt better for the ratings but is it better for the game, this does get shown to a overseas market and it's already a hard game to workout rules wise.

The skills on show get hampered by not having the best of conditions.

As if any of that's important to the AFL!

They have clearly let everyone know that maximising revenue is the key to long term success, so they couldn't give a stuff about playing the game in its purest form.

ledge
15-09-2012, 12:48 PM
As if any of that's important to the AFL!

They have clearly let everyone know that maximising revenue is the key to long term success, so they couldn't give a stuff about playing the game in its purest form.

You want pure form you go watch local footy rain hail sunshine wind, no under roof puppy playing.

Topdog
15-09-2012, 03:01 PM

that wasn't a free.

bornadog
15-09-2012, 03:48 PM
that wasn't a free.

He had his arm around his shoulder and chin

Go_Dogs
15-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Managed to catch the game last night o/s and was shocked at the crowd, been away for a few weeks but the Crows must've taken a hammering in the media today for that crowd, pathetic, Port-like effort from their supporters.

Was a pretty entertaining game.

Agree with Chops on the Fyfe call, what an accomplished player he is, and he would be a fair way off full fitness after missing a large portion of the season. He'd look pretty good in our midfield alongside Griff and Boyd, that's for sure.

Rutten was very good for the Crows as Pavlich had no influence whatsoever. Crows will be hoping GC are still prepared to sell the farm for Tippett, has to be the worst player running around who earns $700K a year....woeful effort again last night.

Brodie Smith is going to be a very good player for the Crows, has been just about their best finals performer so far. Still wish we'd made a big play for Walker a few years ago too, is finally finding his feet at AFL level. Moves so well for a big guy, has all the tricks.

Expect a massive loss for the Crows next week.

Should be an interesting game tonight too. Go West Coast.

LostDoggy
15-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Had a chuckle watching Lyon after the Crows sealing goal. Threw down his phone, got his assistants head set , tried to put it on, then threw that down.

azabob
15-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Had a chuckle watching Lyon after the Crows sealing goal. Threw down his phone, got his assistants head set , tried to put it on, then threw that down.

I missed that! I have always enjoyed listening to Lyon talk about footy, is always very matter a fact.
He certainly manages to get his players to "buy in" to his game plan.

ledge
15-09-2012, 06:42 PM
A coach who hates to lose and shows it, wouldn't mind that actually.

Remi Moses
15-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Observations from the Pies Eagles.
West coast to top heavy, bombed forward to often.
Allowed Reid and their back 6 to sweep away to often.
The first 15 min and the end of the third and start of the last, Collingwood on top for the rest.
Might be some sweaty palms in Sydney.
West Coast need some more mid depth at the draft.

bornadog
16-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Observations from the Pies Eagles.
West coast to top heavy, bombed forward to often.
Allowed Reid and their back 6 to sweep away to often.
The first 15 min and the end of the third and start of the last, Collingwood on top for the rest.
Might be some sweaty palms in Sydney.
West Coast need some more mid depth at the draft.

Smashed in the midfield, Beams, Swan were fantastic.

Remi Moses
16-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Smashed in the midfield, Beams, Swan were fantastic.

Pendlebury and The Daisy Thomas cameo were also a factor.
In a frenetic game Pendlebury seems to have that extra time.
Jolly was excellent in the ruck as well

Desipura
16-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Interesting that some people that often say that umpires favor certain teams (or the home team) are not mentioning how Collingwood were on the raw end of the stick on several decisions last night.
Is it a case of tall poppy syndrome?

LostDoggy
16-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Collingwood getting raw deal with umpiring would be a rarity.

LostDoggy
16-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Ben Reid was a brick wall last night. Really rate him. If only he was running around with us..

Kennedy has come from too far back to have an impact this year, looked miles off it.

A fully fit Lacras and Kennedy next year along side Darling and resting Cox/Nic Nat will be very scary.

Remi Moses
16-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Collingwood getting raw deal with umpiring would be a rarity.

You really do have a thing about umpires.

LostDoggy
16-09-2012, 02:21 PM
You really do have a thing about umpires.
?
You think the crowds aren't influential in 50/50 decisions?

Ghost Dog
16-09-2012, 04:20 PM
?

The umpire doesn't even hear the crowd until some seconds after the decision is made.

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2012, 04:23 PM
The umpire doesn't even hear the crowd until some seconds after the decision is made.

It's cute when kiddies still believe in Santa.

Remi Moses
16-09-2012, 04:49 PM
?

Shouldn't be .
They had no influence on the game last night .
Nuff Nuffs who ring up talkback and moan about them give me the shits.

Ghost Dog
16-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Shouldn't be .

LOL Remi - love your work.

Ghost Dog
16-09-2012, 05:12 PM
It's cute when kiddies still believe in Santa.

Ho ho!

craigsahibee
16-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Pendlebury and The Daisy Thomas cameo were also a factor.
In a frenetic game Pendlebury seems to have that extra time.
Jolly was excellent in the ruck as well

I made a conscious effort to watch Pendlebury in our game against the Pies earlier this year. It does seem that he reads the game just that little bit faster than everyone else on the park. I thought he was the difference in the 3rd qtr last night. While Daisy was good up front, it was Pendlebury that took control and brought his team mates into the game. Now my favourite player to watch. Jimmy B is now number 2.

LostDoggy
16-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Shouldn't be .

Shouldn't be but are. Check WCs home stats for proof.
No idea about last nights game. I'd have huge doubts believing Collingwood were hard done by last night.
I saw the Hawthorn vs Collingwood, and the pies got off very lightly in the first half. When they started paying deserved frees in second, Buckley got upset.
Nuff Nuffs that believe it's all legit give me the shits.

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Shouldn't be but are. Check WCs home stats for proof.
No idea about last nights game. I'd have huge doubts believing Collingwood were hard done by last night.
I saw the Hawthorn vs Collingwood, and the pies got off very lightly in the first half. When they started paying deserved frees in second, Buckley got upset.
Nuff Nuffs that believe it's all legit give me the shits.

I don't believe there is anything sinister in it.

Umpires certainly don't mean to do it but when the crowd is very one-sided and the umpire can only hear one side screaming they can't help but be affected.

comrade
16-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Umpires certainly don't mean to do it but when the crowd is very one-sided and the umpire can only hear one side screaming they can't help but be affected.

It's human nature to avoid conflict / look for positive reinforcement.

Unless you're Chops :D

LostDoggy
16-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Neither do I think it's sinister.
The Nuff Nuffs line was just a copy.
Agree, umps need to make so many decisions its difficult not to be effected by the crowd.

The Underdog
17-09-2012, 10:53 AM
While I don't disagree that umpires can be influenced by the crowd (and it's undoubtedly sub-conscious) what annoys me is that it is so rare that an umpires decision actually influnces the result as far as who wins, that there really is no point bitching about it. Sure you can be annoyed at a bad decision but to complain about your team losing because of umpires is the ultimate cop out.
Anyway as is pretty standard the teams that finished top 4 ended up in the prelim's in 2 pretty interesting games.
You'd imagine Collingwood would feel pretty comfortable going to Sydney this week. No fear of the opposition, the travel or the venue.

Ghost Dog
17-09-2012, 11:16 AM
and re umps, what's the alternative? that's sport.
Pendelbury has the in close smarts of a basketballer. frustrating to watch him when you are going for the opposition.

Eastdog
17-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Week 3 - Preliminary Finals

Friday 21st September

Sydney vs Collingwood ANZ Stadium 7:50pm AEST

Saturday 22nd September

Hawthorn vs Adelaide MCG 5:15pm AEST

immortalmike
17-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Pendelbury has the in close smarts of a basketballer. frustrating to watch him when you are going for the opposition.

No umpires? Would make for an interesting game;)

Ghost Dog
17-09-2012, 06:27 PM
No umpires? Would make for an interesting game;)

I played ultimate frisbee for a while. They don't have umpires. Works ok.

LostDoggy
17-09-2012, 07:26 PM

No, its this sport. There is so much ambiguity and so many decision are left to individual interpretation. More than other sports.
The alternative is to try to simplify things (back to basics) and don't make rule changes for the sake of it. Eg the game aesthetics - let the game evolve.

I also believe results are influenced by poor decisions. Saints even this year missed drawing to the pies because of a contentious free.
We missed shots in a prelim but would never have lost had the umpiring been fair.

azabob
17-09-2012, 08:27 PM
No, its this sport. There is so much ambiguity and so many decision are left to individual interpretation. More than other sports.
The alternative is to try to simplify things (back to basics) and don't make rule changes for the sake of it. Eg the game aesthetics - let the game evolve.

I also believe results are influenced by poor decisions. Saints even this year missed drawing to the pies because of a contentious free.
We missed shots in a prelim but would never have lost had the umpiring been fair.

Chops, Im picking up, what your putting down, but I don't think the umpires are to blame it is the AFL. There is way to much ambiguity and individual interpretation.

Im not sure about the poor decisions influencing a game, having said that Im not sure they don't.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I assume most are going for the Swans tonight? Hoping it's a good game, should be a more evenly matched contested than the game tomorrow night.

Eastdog
21-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I assume most are going for the Swans tonight? Hoping it's a good game, should be a more evenly matched contested than the game tomorrow night.

Very hard to tip in Tonight's game it could go either way. Tomorrow night you would expect Hawthorn to beat Adelaide which I think they will.

Eastdog
21-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Good start from the Swans in that first quarter. The week off definitely does help.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Good start from the Swans in that first quarter. The week off definitely does help.

Agreed. Going to be hard for the Pies now.

Kennedy is such a good player, very strong on the lead/overhead as well as in the contest.

Eastdog
21-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Agreed. Going to be hard for the Pies now.

Kennedy is such a good player, very strong on the lead/overhead as well as in the contest.

If the Swans play the Hawks next week and its still an if do you think the Swans are a chance.

immortalmike
21-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Goal by Jetta was special damn Sydney for picking him before our pick...:(

Go_Dogs
21-09-2012, 10:08 PM
If the Swans play the Hawks next week and its still an if do you think the Swans are a chance.

Definitely. I can see why Hawthorn would be favourites, but anyone can win on the day and the Swans are such a competitive unit with a lot of hard, finals experienced players so no reason they couldn't. Richards being fit to play next week (and he looked better at the end of the 2nd) will be crucial to their chances though I would think.

Daughter of the West
21-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Bruce constantly referring to Roberts-Thompson as "LRT" is making me want to throw heavy objects at my tv...!!!!! :mad:

jeemak
21-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Bruce constantly referring to Roberts-Thompson as "LRT" is making me want to throw heavy objects at my tv...!!!!! :mad:

Excellent rhyming DOTW. Agreed, but all things Bruce pretty much annoy me.

Australian Rules Football is an impatient bugger that waits for nobody. Collingwood have been and gone, and are losing to possibly the most mediocre second best team the competition has seen in a long time. I think back to 2007 and 1993 as being very soft years for top end talent in the competition. This year is matching those.

Eastdog
21-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Collingwood coming a bit now.

G-Mo77
21-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Good riddance filth!!!!!!

Sedat
21-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Good riddance filth!!!!!!
Scoreboard flattered the Pies big time tonight. Swans are a massive show next week.

Eastdog
21-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Collingwood's Season done and dusted. The Swans now are a real chance next week in the GF.

immortalmike
21-09-2012, 11:26 PM
It'd take a choke of epic proportions in order for Hawthorn to lose the GF from here...

Sedat
21-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Hawthorn will smash Sydney next week.
Beg to differ Chops. Swannies are injury free, have a settled back 6, a plethora of tough inside mids, and some silk on the outside. Hawks deserved favourite but will be tight next week - Sydney never get blown away.

jeemak
21-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Beg to differ Chops. Swannies are injury free, have a settled back 6, a plethora of tough inside kids, and some silk on the outside. Hawks will be favourite but will be a close one - Stdney rarely get smashed.

I'm waiting for Hawthorn's tight kicking game to be exposed. Funnily enough, I think they're such a tough side that wet weather would almost gaurantee them a grand final berth, though if they revert to their precise kicking game they could leave themselves exposed to a bad night on the tools with Adelaide getting the ball to their taller forwards.

Sydney are a very well disciplined team, and they have some very dedicated inside midfielders. They'll always make the game closer because of their personnel, though they really don't have enough elite talent to take them all the way.

The three sides that contested 2009 in St Kilda, Geelong and ourselves would smash any of the other top four sides this year.

angelopetraglia
21-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Massive respect for the Swans. Complete rebuild without bottoming out. They have been competive throughout. Great footy club.

Jealous.

Rance Fan
21-09-2012, 11:40 PM
Swans smashed the Hawks earlier in the year in TAS.
They will win, be to tough and will shut down the Hawks.
Disciplined, and well structured with good blend of players and experience

They will just need to kick straight.

Go Swans! hehee
Dont know any Swans supporters here in Melb so at least i wont hear about it if they win!
Hawks fans think they had the premiership in the bag half way thru the season!

Greystache
21-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Collingwood just making up the numbers this finals series, lost comfortably against the two contenders and got a consolation win in between. Their shift away from defensive pressure, strong structures, and an even contribution, to a more attacking style that relies on individual contribution was just asking to fail in September.

Sedat
21-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Sydney are a very well disciplined team, and they have some very dedicated inside midfielders. They'll always make the game closer because of their personnel, though they really don't have enough elite talent to take them all the way.
This is the big misconception about Sydney. They have ample elite talent and a number of match winners to boot. They smashed Hawthorn in Tassie early in the season and then just fell short a month ago in probably the best game of the year. They are in it up to their eyeballs.

Remi Moses
21-09-2012, 11:47 PM
The result flattered collingwood to be honest.
Buckley's done well with all the off field problems.
Sydney have the best "team" defense in the comp and will trouble Hawthorn next week.
The 09 draft and trade period was mammoth for them, they lost Jolly but gained Mummy, Kennedy Mcglynn, Rohan, Jetta. The extra cash in the cap has helped them though.

Sedat
21-09-2012, 11:51 PM
If a teams wins a premiership with the likes of LRT, Pike and Morton, the game has really gone to crap.
Agree on Morton but Pike is one of the better 2nd rucks in the comp this year, and LRT is much better than his reputation as a spud - he's certainly much better than Tom Williams.

Morton will probably make way for McGlynn next week anyway.

jeemak
21-09-2012, 11:53 PM
This is the big misconception about Sydney. They have ample elite talent and a number of match winners to boot. They smashed Hawthorn in Tassie early in the season and then just fell short a month ago in probably the best game of the year. They are in it up to their eyeballs.

Sedat, we comprehensively smashed Hawthorn in Tassie in 2008. But when it came to playing at the pointy end of the season we were caught napping in the qualifying final, and simply weren't talented enough to push Geelong in the prelim even though we had enough chances to impact the scoreboard throughout the game.

Who are the elite Sydney players? I can name Goodes, Kennedy, Richards and maybe Jetta, though that's about it.

LongWait
21-09-2012, 11:57 PM
I enjoyed watching Sydney's overlapping run and also their ferocious attack in every contest. Kudos to Horse for evolving the game plan and making them much more entertaining to watch than the Swans were under Roos.

Also well done to Jetta for having the courage to keep taking the game on and for relentlessly attacking and taking risks. Not the Jude Bolton type of courage, but just as important and gutsy.

Remi Moses
21-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Agree on Morton but Pike is one of the better 2nd rucks in the comp this year, and LRT is much better than his reputation as a spud - he's certainly much better than Tom Williams.

Morton will probably make way for McGlynn next week anyway.

Be a little surprised if Mcglynn plays.
With the 3 and 1 it's too big a risk

Sedat
22-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Who are the elite Sydney players? I can name Goodes, Kennedy, Richards and maybe Jetta, though that's about it.
O'Keefe, Jack, Mumford and McVeigh are all elite in their area of responsibility. Then there are about 10-15 above-average role players: down back guys like Mattner, Shaw and Malceski provide great run and carry, Grundy takes the gorillas, Pike gives solid ruck relief to Mummy, Hanneberry is great inside and outside, Smith is one of the best lock down small defenders in the comp, Reid strong in the air, LRT adds tall versatility at both ends, guys like Bolton, McGlynn, Bird and Parker fight like crazy to lock it in the forward line.

Rance Fan
22-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Swans are a great Team thats what will get them across the line

Sedat
22-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Be a little surprised if Mcglynn plays.
With the 3 and 1 it's too big a risk
It will be 21 days on GF day. Right on the cusp for a hammy but I'd roll the dice - Morton is exactly the type of player who will freeze in the glare of GF day.

Eastdog
22-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Swans are a great Team thats what will get them across the line

The Swans have proved that you don't need to bottom out and then come good again and make a GF. It requires good recruiting.

jeemak
22-09-2012, 12:32 AM
O'Keefe, Jack, Mumford and McVeigh are all elite in their area of responsibility. Then there are about 10-15 above-average role players: down back guys like Mattner, Shaw and Malceski provide great run and carry, Grundy takes the gorillas, Pike gives solid ruck relief to Mummy, Hanneberry is great inside and outside, Smith is one of the best lock down small defenders in the comp, Reid strong in the air, LRT adds tall versatility at both ends, guys like Bolton, McGlynn, Bird and Parker fight like crazy to lock it in the forward line.

You've outlined how they're an excellent team or unit, with even spread across the ground. Much like Collingwood were in 2010. It will be interesting to see if their game plan can sustain them against the Hawks (presumably, though strange things happen in prelims) like Collingwood's did in 2010 against a very top end and middle talented St Kilda.

Collingwood in 2010 had a very even spread much like Sydney do this year, though they had a game plan that was by far and away greater than anyone elses in the competition. I'm not sure Sydney has that.

Remi Moses
22-09-2012, 01:15 AM
It will be 21 days on GF day. Right on the cusp for a hammy but I'd roll the dice - Morton is exactly the type of player who will freeze in the glare of GF day.

I'd bring Andrejs in.:p

KT31
22-09-2012, 10:40 AM
I'd bring Andrejs in.:p

Gold.:D

Maddog37
22-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Collingwood all of a sudden look like they are on the decline. They really missed Ball when the chips were down.

Hotdog60
22-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Collingwood all of a sudden look like they are on the decline. They really missed Ball when the chips were down.

Interesting that a player without pace is sorely missed, just goes to show as long as the skill set is there you can become a vital cog in the machine.

immortalmike
22-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Not to downplay the loss of Ball, but it seems to me the guy they really missed will be coaching Carlton next year. Collingwood really looked to be making up the numbers in the top four all year.

Maddog37
22-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Good call. Jolly going down would ruin them too. He is a massive influence on the team.

Eastdog
22-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Close one between the Hawks and Crows. Hawks have not been that great.

Eastdog
22-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Thriller on our hands.

Eastdog
22-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Very lucky the Hawks in the end.

Eastdog
22-09-2012, 09:02 PM
2012 AFL Grand Final

September 29th 2012

Hawthorn vs Sydney MCG 2:30pm AEST

Sedat
22-09-2012, 09:09 PM
If you hear any Hawk supporters bitch and moan about umpiring ever again, just give them a clip over the ears. Adelaide as stiff as we were in 2009.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-09-2012, 09:41 PM
If you hear any Hawk supporters bitch and moan about umpiring ever again, just give them a clip over the ears. Adelaide as stiff as we were in 2009.

Yep, they really were.

Very similar game of footy to our 09 PF.

Remi Moses
22-09-2012, 09:56 PM
You could say Hawthorn were lucky, but they fluffed their lines early.
Should have been comfortably ahead early.
How good were Dangerfield and Sloane? Did we really pick Grant ahead of Dangerfield and Cyril?

Ghost Dog
22-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Go Swans. Hawthorn will be shaky after that game and Swans are on a roll.

bornadog
23-09-2012, 12:58 AM

Really? I went to the game today and thought the umpiring was excellent and had no bearing on the result at all.

One thing I can say from the game, Tippet was a star and Rioli a match winner.

immortalmike
23-09-2012, 02:21 AM
Yep, they really were.

Very similar game of footy to our 09 PF.

In some respects. But in our game the underdogs had more scoring shots...

jeemak
23-09-2012, 02:42 AM

I watched the game without comentary and got the same impression.

jeemak
23-09-2012, 02:43 AM
In some respects. But in our game the underdogs had more scoring shots...

And were probably the equal of the teams that played in the GF as well. Hawthorn's wastage kept Adelaide in the game, and full credit to the Crows for nearly pulling off an excellent upset.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Really? I went to the game today and thought the umpiring was excellent and had no bearing on the result at all.

One thing I can say from the game, Tippet was a star and Rioli a match winner.

I felt Adelaide were very hard done by, some "crowd" decisions seemed to occur, Crows couldn't buy a HTB free kick and every 50/50 call seemed to go in the Hawks favour. Still, a good game and effort by the Crows who exceeded almost everyone's expectations.

I think Sydney are a real shot next week.

azabob
23-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Bad luck to the Crows but they have been on the other end of bias home ground umpiring more often than not.

Still doesn't make it right though, does it?

bornadog
23-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I felt Adelaide were very hard done by, some "crowd" decisions seemed to occur, Crows couldn't buy a HTB free kick and every 50/50 call seemed to go in the Hawks favour. Still, a good game and effort by the Crows who exceeded almost everyone's expectations.

I think Sydney are a real shot next week.

Free kicks were 24 to 22, and no influence on the outcome.

Inside 50's, 64 to 38, Adelaide should have lost by 5 goals at least.

I think the GF will be a close game.

Go_Dogs
23-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Agree that Hawthorn were very wasteful and by the raw stats, (contested possession, clearances, inside 50's and tackles) should have won by a lot more. Adelaide must be the most efficient team out, because they always find a way to be competitive/win even when they have been beaten in the key statistics.

Watched the replay this morning too and can't agree on the umpiring. The number of frees is the most irrelevant stat, because it doesn't show the touchy ones Hawthorn got in their vavour (including a very soft 50m penalty early, and the "runner" free?) nor the ones the Crows had legitimate claims on that weren't paid (being various HTB's, head high tackles, chopping of the arms or holding the man) even though similar incidents going to other way were paid to Hawthorn.

The better team won at the end of the day, but the umpiring was crap.

bornadog
23-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Pointless discussing the umpiring.

azabob
23-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Pointless discussing the umpiring.

I think that is something all of us can agree on.

Mantis
23-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Watching last nights game, with the quality of play on offer makes me even more depressed.

We are miles aware from that level.

GVGjr
23-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Watching last nights game, with the quality of play on offer makes me even more depressed.

Very true.

Maddog37
23-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Same would have been said about the Crows not that long ago.

Desipura
24-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Totally agree BAD, Hawks kicking at goal was ordinary, they were pretty easy shots as well!
Hawks should have won easily, Crows took most of the or chances, Hawks did not, luckily Hawks had more chances.

Mofra
24-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Agree that Hawthorn were very wasteful and by the raw stats, (contested possession, clearances, inside 50's and tackles) should have won by a lot more. Adelaide must be the most efficient team out, because they always find a way to be competitive/win even when they have been beaten in the key statistics.
It really does show the contrast between their style of play and ours - our F50 efficiancy is woeful, the Crows are magnificant at it.

I really enjoyed the game though - the best game I'd seen in 2012. High quality, close, cameos by absolute stars of the game. Offered anything an impartial spectator could want.

LostDoggy
24-09-2012, 12:39 PM
We were in Adelaide for a 40th so watched it beforehand. I was so happy to see the Crows lose a close preliminary final. No, I am still not over 1997.

Sedat
24-09-2012, 04:20 PM

It truly sucks to have Josh Toy as the key story coming out of the kennel during PF weekend. We've been spoiled the last few years being able to play so deep into September.