PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft - Who do you like?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

SlimPickens
06-10-2012, 12:40 PM
The decision on menzel is going to be an interesting one for clubs. The shelf life for a LARS ligament is approx 7 years. With Menzel having a reco at 16 it would mean he is likely to have another op around 23 years old, if the ligament lasts that long.

I have no doubt it will scare off clubs, it's a massive if. Whoever gave him the advice at 16 is a goose.

KT31
06-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Well it won't be Paul Marshall

He has announced he CBf playing afl and withdrew from the combine

A decision, no doubt, he will look back on in future years and wonder what could have been.

Sedat
07-10-2012, 09:09 AM
By the way I haven't paid access to the Hun.:confused:
Try the Daily Telegraph website. Their AFL section basically feeds off 99% of the Hun's articles and they don't have a digital pass system set up as yet.

Bulldog4life
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Try the Daily Telegraph website. Their AFL section basically feeds off 99% of the Hun's articles and they don't have a digital pass system set up as yet.

I do most of the time.:)

AndrewP6
07-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I am on tenterhooks. this is a huge time in the history of the Bulldogs. The future is here now, this week. Our lives will be dramatically affected by the clubs recruitment this week. It is the best of times and the worst of times.
How can we pin our future on the slim shoulders of a 17y.o.? Yet it appears we must. How can we hope he is the messiah? Yet we must. This draft must give us hope of a premiership or else we die, at least figuratively, and plausibly literally.
Yet this week could be the start of an exciting period with the recruitment of an elite player who could become a massive part of our history.
OMG knife edge stuff.

Are you the producer of Big Brother? :D

AndrewP6
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
A decision, no doubt, he will look back on in future years and wonder what could have been.

Or maybe he'll go and do something else and be perfectly happy doing it.

KT31
07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Or maybe he'll go and do something else and be perfectly happy doing it.

For his sake I hope so.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Are you the producer of Big Brother? :D

Hold onto your seats, it's nearly here, the mother of all Drafts...for contemporary Bulldog supporters.
We're in this thing together Andrew, for better or worse. We can't change allegiance, our hearts won't let us.
We are married to the club and hence the draft picks of 2012 and their legacy.

Mofra
08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
The decision on menzel is going to be an interesting one for clubs. The shelf life for a LARS ligament is approx 7 years. With Menzel having a reco at 16 it would mean he is likely to have another op around 23 years old, if the ligament lasts that long.

I have no doubt it will scare off clubs, it's a massive if. Whoever gave him the advice at 16 is a goose.
One recruiter (unnamed) was interviewed about Menzel. Says he's a 10 year player and they expect to lose 2 of those years to injury, but the remaining 8 playing years would be "very, very, very good years".

LostDoggy
08-10-2012, 10:57 AM
GC passed on Jack Viney and have confirmed # 2 for Jack Martin this year.

So thats not going to happen. Wonder what the next move is?

Its rumoured that Sam Reid wants to come back to Melb. Unclear from which Sydney team & which Sam Reid it is.

If it is Sydneys Reid would / should we go after him?

Desipura
08-10-2012, 10:59 AM
GC passed on Jack Viney and have confirmed # 2 for Jack Martin this year.

So thats not going to happen. Wonder what the next move is?

Its rumoured that Sam Reid wants to come back to Melb. Unclear from which Sydney team & which Sam Reid it is.

If it is Sydneys Reid would / should we go after him?
If Sam Reid wanted to come back to melbourne, I would most definately try and get him.

Maddog37
08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Absolutely no basis for Reid to want to leave as he has signed a long term deal last year but if he did would you give up pick 6 which Sydney could then trade to Adelaide for Tippett? Maybe some sweeteners as well.....

LostDoggy
08-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Sorry guys, forget all the Sam Reid talk, apparently it was from some dummy twitter account.

Guess we need to wait until rumours have legs before wasting our time speculating.....

Some people got nothing better to do than troll. :mad:

Mofra
08-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Looks like Jed Anderson is now off the table - Saints have traded out #12 for Tom Lee, 2nd & 3rd round pick.

GWS have no pre-listing spots left

bulldogsman
08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Looks like Jed Anderson is now off the table - Saints have traded out #12 for Tom Lee, 2nd & 3rd round pick.

GWS have no pre-listing spots left

Jed Anderson is a NT zone selection, it's different to a pre listing. We can still work out a deal with GWS.

LongWait
08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Jed Anderson is a NT zone selection, it's different to a pre listing. We can still work out a deal with GWS.

Bulldogsman - does that mean that GWS would need to first select Anderson and commit a draft pick to his selection, and then trade him on in this trade period? Or do they have the right to trade Anderson without giving anything up in return?

Mofra
08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Cheers for the clarification.

If anyone has seen him closely, is he worth pick 21?

GVGjr
08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Bulldogsman - does that mean that GWS would need to first select Anderson and commit a draft pick to his selection, and then trade him on in this trade period? Or do they have the right to trade Anderson without giving anything up in return?

From my understanding they have the option to trade him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-10-2012, 06:59 PM

What would we have now that would interest GWS? Pick 21?
GWS now already have picks 1,2 (possibly pick 3 from Dee's if the go for Hogan) and pick ) pick 12 and 20.
So 4 confirmed picks in the top 20, and another one for MD2.

Are they really wanting 6 first round picks? Would they even use them all?

bulldogsman
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM

No they don't need to give up anything. They have the option of keeping them or trading them but they only have the rights to 2 of them (most likely Anderson and Jake Neade). GC also has the rights to two QLD players and can do likewise.

Cheers for the clarification.

If anyone has seen him closely, is he worth pick 21?

I think he's worth that and I hope we get him.

bulldogsman
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
What would we have now that would interest GWS? Pick 21?
GWS now already have picks 1,2 (possibly pick 3 from Dee's if the go for Hogan) and pick ) pick 12 and 20.
So 4 confirmed picks in the top 20, and another one for MD2.

Are they really wanting 6 first round picks? Would they even use them all?

Very good question. I think they only have 5 or 6 vacant spots open at the moment (not entirely sure?), so Anderson may not be needed. He may have to go through the draft after all.

LongWait
08-10-2012, 10:55 PM
No they don't need to give up anything. They have the option of keeping them or trading them but they only have the rights to 2 of them (most likely Anderson and Jake Neade). GC also has the rights to two QLD players and can do likewise.

I think he's worth that and I hope we get him.

Thanks for clarifying that Bulldogsman.

The GWS and Gold Coast concessions were far more substantial than I realised. They seem never-ending and to be at no cost to the expansion teams.

It's hard to watch expansion clubs win premierships and get incredible concessions, while we go through another rebuild with no help at all from anybody (including our own players. Thanks Ward, Harbrow and Lake.)

Hotdog60
08-10-2012, 11:04 PM
So are we interested in Lachlan Plowman, Lachie Whitfield, Oliver Wines, Jimmy Toumpas, Ben Kennedy and Jake Stringer.

Pick 5 for Toumpas
Pick 6 for Whitfield
pick 21 for Wines
pick 41 for Stringer

bornadog
08-10-2012, 11:11 PM
So are we interested in Lachlan Plowman, Lachie Whitfield, Oliver Wines, Jimmy Toumpas, Ben Kennedy and Jake Stringer.

Pick 5 for Toumpas
Pick 6 for Whitfield
pick 21 for Wines
pick 41 for Stringer

Do you think Stringer will still be around at pick 41?

Hotdog60
08-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Do you think Stringer will still be around at pick 41?

Just thought he might be considered a risk with the report of having a broken leg which put him out for 12 months

bulldogsman
08-10-2012, 11:35 PM

Pick 5 for Toumpas
Pick 6 for Whitfield
pick 21 for Wines
pick 41 for Stringer

Sorry, but I don't think any of that will happen hotdog. I think Whitfield and Toumpas will be gone at picks 1 & 2. Wines top 10 or just outside. Stringer will go 1st round, I think maybe outside the top 10.

LongWait
08-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Sorry, but I don't think any of that will happen hotdog. I think Whitfield and Toumpas will be gone at picks 1 & 2. Wines top 10 or just outside. Stringer will go 1st round, I think somewhere outside the top 10.

Would you hazard a guess as to who we should select at 5 and 6?

Hotdog60
08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Sorry, but I don't think any of that will happen hotdog. I think Whitfield and Toumpas will be gone at picks 1 & 2. Wines top 10 or just outside. Stringer will go 1st round, I think maybe outside the top 10.

Bugger! just trying to see something positive out of a gloomy day.:)

LongWait
08-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Emma Quayle's top five:

Emma Quayle ‏@emmasq
An early crack at the top 5 in the draft: Whitfield (GWS), Toumpas (GWS), Grundy (GWS), Wines (Melb), O'Rouke (WB)

bulldogsman
09-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Would you hazard a guess as to who we should select at 5 and 6?

Plowman, Garlett, O'Rourke and Macrae probably in that order for me.

LongWait
09-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Plowman, Garlett, O'Rourke and Macrae probably in that order for me.

Thanks Bulldogsman.

Garlett seems to be back in favour with draft-watchers after some earlier concerns about commitment and behaviour.

bulldogsman
09-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks Bulldogsman.

Garlett seems to be back in favour with draft-watchers after some earlier concerns about commitment and behaviour.

I don't think his commitment is a problem, I can't be sure on that though. There's some concerns on his behaviour, but mjp mentioned it's not that bad and Garlett's been pretty honest about it in the media. Given his talent, I think he's worth the small risk involved.

LostDoggy
09-10-2012, 11:57 AM
With Lake gone I think we'll take Plowman/O'Rourke on talent and Mayes will fall to Port which they'll love. We'll get some good players but I don't see our midfield speed getting fixed with the early picks which I had hoped for in Martin. Still should be solid but GC and GWS will own the flag for 10 years the way they've been set up. Their salary caps are the only things that may save everyone else long term. Grrrrrrrrr

LongWait
09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't think his commitment is a problem, I can't be sure on that though. There's some concerns on his behaviour, but mjp mentioned it's not that bad and Garlett's been pretty honest about it in the media. Given his talent, I think he's worth the small risk involved.

Commitment issues arose from missing AIS sessions by sleeping in I think. All seems to be behind him now anyway - it seems it was a wake up call and he listened and responded the right way.

Mofra
09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
With Lake gone I think we'll take Plowman/O'Rourke on talent and Mayes will fall to Port which they'll love.
Plowman's rebound work has been talked up by more than a few talent-watchers.

If we have two bigger guys playing with Plowman playing a more rebound role with Wood & JJ, we may actually be developing a defensive unit capable of rebounding the ball beyond a strategy of "get it to Murphy".

bornadog
09-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Don't how good these guys are on picking players but makes a good read:

link (http://www.footballnation.com.au/latest-news/the-football-nation-2012-afl-mock-draft/)

1. Lachie Whitfield (GWS) – Dandenong Stingrays VIC

A member of the AIS-AFL Academy for the past two years. He was an eye catcher in the Academy-Box Hill game earlier this year and has been regularly playing school footy this year. Skilful midfielder with exquisite skills. After the Draft Combine was widely regarded to be head and shoulders above the rest with the possible exception of Joe Daniher.

2. Jimmy Toumpas (Gold Coast) – Woodville West Torrens SA

A hard-running utility with excellent disposals on both sides of the body and with the physique that would allow him to compete immediately.

3. Brodie Grundy (Melb) – Sturt SA

A rapidly improving player from a basketball background and, at 200cm, widely regarded as the best ruck prospect in this year’s draft. Compared to a young Dean Cox.

4. Oliver Wines (Melb) – Bendigo Pioneers VIC

The hard-at-it midfielder from Echuca is regarded as one of the best inside midfielders in this year’s draft.

5. Jono O’Rouke (WB) – Calder Cannons VIC

Smart midfielder has had two years through the AIS-AFL Academy and is considered to be among the top on-ballers heading into this year’s draft.

6. Lachlan Plowman (WB) – Calder Cannons VIC

Is considered to be one of the better key position players heading into this year’s draft even though he missed the national carnival because of a serious elbow injury. Has been among the better players at the Calder Cannons this season and really lifted his profile at this year’s Draft Combine.

7. Jackson Macrae (Port) – Oakleigh Chargers VIC

Plays big in big games and is a ball magnet on his hot days. Utility player that can also kick a bag of goals after booting six against Tassie as well as scoring the match winning golden point for Oakleigh in the TAC Cup Grand Final where he was also awarded the medal for best on ground.

8. Sam Mayes (Brisbane) – North Adelaide SA

Despite a low profile national carnival performance, the All-Australian centre half forward has shown glimpses of his potential and has been compared to Collingwood’s Scott Pendlebury but more explosive on the run.

9. Taylor Garner (Richmond) – Dandenong Stingrays VIC

Named in the All-Australian team, Garner has super elite marking skills overhead and can win the contested ball.

10. Joe Daniher (Essendon) (F/S) – Calder Cannons VIC

The Daniher family is the gift that keeps on giving for Essendon. Joe Daniher was a father-son nomination for the Bombers and in bidding will cost them the 10th pick in this year’s draft. Has developed into one of the TAC Cup’s key forwards and has the attributes of becoming a dominant asset for the Bombers in future years.

wimberga
09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Personally, I haven't watched much TAC football but going from the profiles I have read and my opinion of what we need, I'd be extremely keen for us to take Garlett & Mayes. However am happy to go with best available with our picks as long as one of them is a skilled midfielder

SlimPickens
09-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Don't how good these guys are on picking players but makes a good read:

link (http://www.footballnation.com.au/latest-news/the-football-nation-2012-afl-mock-draft/)

1. Lachie Whitfield (GWS) – Dandenong Stingrays VIC

A member of the AIS-AFL Academy for the past two years. He was an eye catcher in the Academy-Box Hill game earlier this year and has been regularly playing school footy this year. Skilful midfielder with exquisite skills. After the Draft Combine was widely regarded to be head and shoulders above the rest with the possible exception of Joe Daniher.

2. Jimmy Toumpas (Gold Coast) – Woodville West Torrens SA

A hard-running utility with excellent disposals on both sides of the body and with the physique that would allow him to compete immediately.

3. Brodie Grundy (Melb) – Sturt SA

A rapidly improving player from a basketball background and, at 200cm, widely regarded as the best ruck prospect in this year’s draft. Compared to a young Dean Cox.

4. Oliver Wines (Melb) – Bendigo Pioneers VIC

The hard-at-it midfielder from Echuca is regarded as one of the best inside midfielders in this year’s draft.

5. Jono O’Rouke (WB) – Calder Cannons VIC

Smart midfielder has had two years through the AIS-AFL Academy and is considered to be among the top on-ballers heading into this year’s draft.

6. Lachlan Plowman (WB) – Calder Cannons VIC

Is considered to be one of the better key position players heading into this year’s draft even though he missed the national carnival because of a serious elbow injury. Has been among the better players at the Calder Cannons this season and really lifted his profile at this year’s Draft Combine.

7. Jackson Macrae (Port) – Oakleigh Chargers VIC

Plays big in big games and is a ball magnet on his hot days. Utility player that can also kick a bag of goals after booting six against Tassie as well as scoring the match winning golden point for Oakleigh in the TAC Cup Grand Final where he was also awarded the medal for best on ground.

8. Sam Mayes (Brisbane) – North Adelaide SA

Despite a low profile national carnival performance, the All-Australian centre half forward has shown glimpses of his potential and has been compared to Collingwood’s Scott Pendlebury but more explosive on the run.

9. Taylor Garner (Richmond) – Dandenong Stingrays VIC

Named in the All-Australian team, Garner has super elite marking skills overhead and can win the contested ball.

10. Joe Daniher (Essendon) (F/S) – Calder Cannons VIC

The Daniher family is the gift that keeps on giving for Essendon. Joe Daniher was a father-son nomination for the Bombers and in bidding will cost them the 10th pick in this year’s draft. Has developed into one of the TAC Cup’s key forwards and has the attributes of becoming a dominant asset for the Bombers in future years.

Really depends on who has what pick doesn't it?

I'd be surprised if Grundy goes 3 to GWS after they skipped on Longer last year, although their needs are much the same. Assuming Melboure keep pick 4 will Wines suit as another tough inside Mid, maybe some more polish and foot speed would be the way to go for them.

bornadog
09-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Really depends on who has what pick doesn't it?

I'd be surprised if Grundy goes 3 to GWS after they skipped on Longer last year, although their needs are much the same. Assuming Melboure keep pick 4 will Wines suit as another tough inside Mid, maybe some more polish and foot speed would be the way to go for them.

I would love Toumpas but I think GWS will pick him in the top three.

LongWait
09-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Toumpas appears to be the best player with a slim, outside chance of sliding to 5.

Would you draft for needs or best available with 5 and 6 BAD? Or does a little of both come into it?

bornadog
09-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Toumpas appears to be the best player with a slim, outside chance of sliding to 5.

Would you draft for needs or best available with 5 and 6 BAD? Or does a little of both come into it?

I know we have had this discussuion before (I mean on the forum between posters), I think we should go for the best available. We want the best players on our list.

Your thoughts?

DOG GOD
09-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I think it will be...
1. Whitfield
2. Toumpas
3. Grundy
4. Melbourne - orourke or Mayes.

SlimPickens
09-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Yep I'd say they will and most likely at 2, just not sure what they'll do with three. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they took Grundy but for the life of me i can't work out their logic as Longer IMO was the better prospect last year.

Greystache
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Yep I'd say they will and most likely at 2, just not sure what they'll do with three. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they took Grundy but for the life of me i can't work out their logic as Longer IMO was the better prospect last year.

They've lost Giles this year though, maybe they had confidence last year he'd be a long term option for them. I can't think of who their backup ruck even is :confused:

bornadog
09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
They've lost Giles this year though, maybe they had confidence last year he'd be a long term option for them. I can't think of who their backup ruck even is :confused:

They will be a seriously good team in a few years.

stefoid
09-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I dont think we can go wrong selecting oRourke and Garlett. Just two very good mids who have what our other mids lack - a bit of toe and kicking skills and the class to use them properly.

Pick 21 is the interesting one. I wouldnt be trading it for Dawes (please no). Maybe Anderson?

Stevens with 47 I think will happen.

That would be quite the haul of mids - oRourke, Garlett, Anderson, Stevens and Hunter.

SlimPickens
09-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Is that official? (Losing giles)

Greystache
09-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Is that official? (Losing giles)

Not yet but looks a formality, GWS' offering was pretty lowball and Adelaide seem into him.

LongWait
09-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I know we have had this discussuion before (I mean on the forum between posters), I think we should go for the best available. We want the best players on our list.

Your thoughts?

I think that a bit of both is often part of the thinking - for example, if the highly rated ruckman Grundy was available at pick 5, would we select him above O'Rourke, Plowman, Macrae or whomever we have had in mind for that pick? I think we may not pick Grundy, or at the very least we would seriously think long and hard about it (preferebly before draft day :p).

So... with really valuable picks, I'd lean towards best available but needs would be in the back of my mind and would be a factor in the decision.

azabob
09-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Well it was a combination of him and Brogan.

Greystache
09-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Well it was a combination of him and Brogan.

Right you are, and he's gone too isn't he?

azabob
09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Right you are, and he's gone too isn't he?

Yep, I think he is now an assistant for them.

Does Sheedy rate the ruck role?

Maddog37
09-10-2012, 04:40 PM
I read somewhere Brogan may play on if needed.

Greystache
09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Yep, I think he is now an assistant for them.

Does Sheedy rate the ruck role?

He refused to play Salmon there who went on to be in Hawthorn's team of the century, so who knows.

LostDoggy
09-10-2012, 10:27 PM
With Lake gone I think we'll take Plowman/O'Rourke on talent and Mayes will fall to Port which they'll love. We'll get some good players but I don't see our midfield speed getting fixed with the early picks which I had hoped for in Martin. Still should be solid but GC and GWS will own the flag for 10 years the way they've been set up. Their salary caps are the only things that may save everyone else long term. Grrrrrrrrr

Exactly, I'm scared. Just read an article on the HUN and it makes pretty sobering reading. I'm all for the new teams being given some help but the armchair ride to a flag that the AFL has provided GWS especially, is outrageous. If you haven't read the article, here is a copy:

GREATER Western Sydney will enter its second AFL season with 25 first-round draft picks on its list.

GWS completed its draft coup yesterday, swapping 17-year-old West Australian key forward Jesse Hogan for picks 3 and 13 from Melbourne. It gives them selections 1, 2, 3, 12 and 13 at next month's national draft.

Last year the expansion club had 11 of the first 14 choices. The growing bonanza has increased fears the league's 18th team will be fast-tracked to superpower status.

Clever manipulation of rules regarding 17-year-old trades has fuelled industry-wide anger that the AFL's start-up concessions have been "ludicrously generous".

Instead of swapping young guns such as Hogan for established AFL players, as had been anticipated, the Giants exchanged them for more top 10 draft selections.

GWS has utilised another rule that gave the club control over 10 players who had previously been on an AFL list or had nominated for a draft. Through this they secured pick 12 from St Kilda on Tuesday for WAFL star Tom Lee.

The free kicks go well beyond prized draft choices.

The Giants will reap bumper salary cap concessions of up to $1 million a season for the next seven years - plus the same controversial cost of living allowance afforded to the Sydney Swans, worth $895,000 in 2013.

GWS will also have a larger list than the rest of the competition until 2019.

But GWS, led by football manager Graeme Allan, has made no apologies, saying it had executed its strategy to secure the country's best young talent.

Clever manipulation of rules regarding 17-year-old trades has fuelled industry-wide anger that the AFL's start-up concessions have been "ludicrously generous".

The AFL sought the help of a sub-committee to design the start-up rules, but former Adelaide recruiting boss Matthew Rendell said yesterday, "There wouldn't have been one recruiter in the AFL who would have agreed with it".

"Their lists are extraordinary. We haven't seen anything like it," Rendell said.

"They will have a whole team of first-round draft picks.

"That's why we are seeing a frantic trading period at the top of the order.

"(Rivals are) thinking if we don't win one in the next three years, we will be shut out for a long, long time."

One respected talent chief yesterday said the Giants could be so dominant over the next decade they could wipe out some rival clubs.

"This could be the death of some clubs," the official said.

"That sounds over the top, but the gap between them and some of the others will be frightening.

"They will have No.1 and 2 draft picks playing back pocket.

"We will be getting them with pick 60 in the rookie draft from Sandringham.

"The new clubs had to be successful, but the concessions have been an unbelievable mistake."

Allan said the Giants were delighted with the state of their list.

"That was the strategy from day one, at the start of last year's draft process, to get a lot of early picks," Allan said.

"Stephen Silvagni and Paul Brodie have done that and the club is very happy and proud of their efforts.

"We've recruited senior players as well, probably older (than was expected) but those under 17s we traded were highly valuable.

"SOS (Silvagni) tried to get senior players but they weren't forthcoming.

"To have five of the first 13 selections, on top of the 11 first-round picks we had last year, puts us in the position to build on an already exciting young list," Giants list manager Silvagni said yesterday.

The 25 first-round picks on the GWS list will include four young stars taken using another special rule that gave them access to the best 17-year-old players in Australia last year, including Jeremy Cameron and Dylan Shiel.

The club also has another unactivated end-of-first-round selection up its sleeve.

Rendell said: "They have done a super job.

"With all the concessions they haven't missed a beat. They've done a ripping job.

"I can't think of a mistake they have made."

Rivals have vowed to try to raid the GWS and Gold Coast list of any homesick or unhappy players.

Gold Coast will boast 14 first-round picks next season.

Remi Moses
10-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Gone way over the top for mine.
Think from 2015 for a decade we should just give them 5 flags each and forget about it .
Created a monster and it will be interesting to see the interest levels for Vic teams in this state.
Want to be careful they don't take things for granted

Desipura
10-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Bad, you love your stats. Is Hobdogs post the longest ever in the history of woof?

azabob
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Bad, you love your stats. Is Hobdogs post the longest ever in the history of woof?

If it is, it shouldn't count, he has copied and pasted a newspaper article...

Desipura
10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
If it is, it shouldn't count, he has copied and pasted a newspaper article...

You can't half tell he lost me after the first word.

LostDoggy
10-10-2012, 09:06 AM
You can't half tell he lost me after the first word.

Sorry lads! Just thought it was an interesting article that should make us all a little frightened.

hujsh
10-10-2012, 09:21 AM

I'd bet Lantern would have that honor.

Although there was the occasional James Cuming rant about who is a dud and why Eade was crap.

Mofra
10-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Sorry lads! Just thought it was an interesting article that should make us all a little frightened.
It highlights just how ridiculous the concessions to GWS are - even moreso than GCS.

The mini-draft picks should have only ever been able to be swapped for players, not draft picks.

LostDoggy
10-10-2012, 09:33 AM
It highlights just how ridiculous the concessions to GWS are - even moreso than GCS.

The mini-draft picks should have only ever been able to be swapped for players, not draft picks.

Exactly Mofra, it is an absolute joke and will make a mockery of winning a premiership. I for one will have zero respect for GWS if they win the flag.

stefoid
10-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Well, if they are all that good, they cant pay them all market rates. All the other clubs need to raid them back in 2-3 years time.

Hotdog60
10-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Well, if they are all that good, they cant pay them all market rates. All the other clubs need to raid them back in 2-3 years time.

Wait for when these kids are free agents and in their prime at 25 - 26 years old and steal them then.

Maddog37
10-10-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't feel scared I just hate them more every day.

I still feel that our club can be succesful as long as we bring in a new breeding clause in the player contracts. Every player over the age of 20 must have a partner and impregnate said partner on an annual basis. Players will be paid a bonus for every son produced and if the player can produce 5 sons they get a signed Simon Beasley photo. Ten sons will get you a gold watch and some left over grandstand seating.

Sound ok doesn't it?

Mofra
10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
They can given the $1.9m+ extra salary cap they have for a while.

The AFL have covered all bases here.

Murphy'sLore
10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
It's a disgusting perversion of the competition. What hope does any other club, let alone the strugglers, have against a juggernaut like that? Agree with Remi, the AFL could end up poisoning the entire competition and lose the traditional supporters at the expense of these Frankenstein's monsters of artificially created teams. In 5-10 years it will be GC and GWS slugging it out and no one will give a hoot who wins.

bornadog
10-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I'd bet Lantern would have that honor.

Although there was the occasional James Cuming rant about who is a dud and why Eade was crap.

I miss Lantern - LANTERN COME BACK

bornadog
10-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Exactly Mofra, it is an absolute joke and will make a mockery of winning a premiership. I for one will have zero respect for GWS if they win the flag.

Same as I felt in the 70's when all the rules were changed so that North could get some stars from other clubs and win a premiership.

LostDoggy
10-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Its funny, every year the Gws and Gc stuff goes on the less i care about AFL, in a few years if they are going gang busters i can see myself not watching a lot of football, and i am a mid 30's man who has grown up with the game who spent $1000's of dollars on AFL in the last 15-20 years.

Ive just had all the passion kicked slowly out of me, all i see now is another period of rebuilding and then if we get any good becoming cannon fodder for these expansion teams in finals once again.

The AFL has cut of its nose to spite its face imo. they may turn a few thousand kids in nsw and qld into fans but they may also lose the heartland in the process.

Maddog37
10-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Super post Doglee.

I can see the Storm gaining more and more members.

Grantysghost
10-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Its funny, every year the Gws and Gc stuff goes on the less i care about AFL, in a few years if they are going gang busters i can see myself not watching a lot of football, and i am a mid 30's man who has grown up with the game who spent $1000's of dollars on AFL in the last 15-20 years.

Ive just had all the passion kicked slowly out of me, all i see now is another period of rebuilding and then if we get any good becoming cannon fodder for these expansion teams in finals once again.

The AFL has cut of its nose to spite its face imo. they may turn a few thousand kids in nsw and qld into fans but they may also lose the heartland in the process.

Good post. I'm around the same supporter profile as you and i'm feeling disheartened in the same way. I'll keep getting my membership, but the passion is waning slowly each season. Maybe the seventh prelim loss was one too many. I was at the GF this year and just can't imagine us doing what the swans have done. They've been up forever.
Strange how it seems more important for the AFL to have a successful team in the west of Sydney than the west of Melbourne. The trading of MD picks for ND picks is ridiculous.

Mofra
10-10-2012, 01:54 PM

You aren't on your own - I can see myself starting to go to Melbourne Heart games in lieu of AFL matches, especially if GWS & GCS turn into powerhouses.

Two of my favourite sporting memories are being in Santiago when Chile qualified for the World Cup in 2009, and in June this year in the world's biggest beer-garden (Augustiner in Munich) when Germany beat Greece in the qtr final of Euro 2012.

I would never have believed it if I was asked 5 years ago, had barely a passing interest in Association football.
Heck, I'm still playing AFL footy (pub league) - love the sport, hate the administration of it.

LostDoggy
10-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Hobdog - I just read your post and I got stomach cramps - yes literally. Couldn't tell you if its anger, fear or I just want to throw up. What a travesty :(:mad::eek:

LostDoggy
10-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Hobdog - I just read your post and I got stomach cramps - yes literally. Couldn't tell you if its anger, fear or I just want to throw up. What a travesty :(:mad::eek:

I know, seeing the bare facts makes you realise how good a deal the AFL has given these guys. Apologies for the long post but thought people might be interested to see what we're all up against. The extra salary cap will shield them from player raids to a certain extent too.

This game could lose me in the future, although my financial support of the club will always be there.

Cyberdoggie
10-10-2012, 04:50 PM
The Mini-draft is a severe stuff up by the AFL. How could they not envisage that GWS would use it to get high draft picks?, add GC in and they are feeding off each other.

What a debacle, the AFL should of set rules to say that the mini-draft was for players only and not draft picks, and not for trading between GC and GWS.

I wonder what will happen if they finish on the bottom again next year?
Some more top drafts picks are likely heading their way i think.

azabob
10-10-2012, 04:51 PM
The Mini-draft is a severe stuff up by the AFL. How could they not envisage that GWS would use it to get high draft picks?, add GC in and they are feeding off each other.

What a debacle, the AFL should of set rules to say that the mini-draft was for players only and not draft picks, and not for trading between GC and GWS.

Should've, could've, would've....

The reality is the AFL want GWS to succeed and sooner the better so they can shout from the highest mountain - See we were right, AFL can be successful in Greater Western Sydney.

Sedat
10-10-2012, 05:14 PM
At this rate, it isn't going to matter all that much who we like in the ND - we might not have many picks left :o

bornadog
10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
At this rate, it isn't going to matter all that much who we like in the ND - we might not have many picks left :o

5 & 6 is what I am looking forward to.

anfo27
13-10-2012, 02:12 PM

The AFL are not stupid, they knew exactly what was going o happen. They want these new teams to succeed & the only way they can do that is turning them into a juggernaut over a sustained period of time.

All the AFL clubs should have smelt a rat & not agreed with these charitable concessions. How bad will it look when these new expansion teams have more premierships than us after only 10 years in existence?

azabob
13-10-2012, 02:47 PM
The AFL are not stupid, they knew exactly what was going o happen. They want these new teams to succeed & the only way they can do that is turning them into a juggernaut over a sustained period of time.

All the AFL clubs should have smelt a rat & not agreed with these charitable concessions. How bad will it look when these new expansion teams have more premierships than us after only 10 years in existence?

10 years? I think you are being generous. How long did it take West Coast? Adelaide?

anfo27
13-10-2012, 02:51 PM
10 years? I think you are being generous. How long did it take West Coast? Adelaide?

You don't think they can win 2 flags in the next decade? The AFL is being generous not me.

chef
13-10-2012, 03:06 PM
You don't think they can win 2 flags in the next decade? The AFL is being generous not me.

He's saying it's going to take less than 10 years for them to have more premierships than us.

LostDoggy
13-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Really hoping we can get Toumpas (highly unlikely) so setting my hopes on O'Rourke, Plowman, Stringer

stefoid
13-10-2012, 03:20 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149635/default.aspx

Hoping for oRourke at 4, and Mayes or Garlett at 6.

Simpson, Stringer or Vlastuin at 22?

Topdog
13-10-2012, 03:33 PM
He's saying it's going to take less than 10 years for them to have more premierships than us.

yep and he is being generous. By 2020 they will have more than us.

LostDoggy
13-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Hoping for oRourke at 4, and Mayes or Garlett at 6.

Simpson, Stringer or Vlastuin at 22?

I like Garlett but not sure if he fits the BMac off field criteria

DOG GOD
13-10-2012, 04:39 PM

Hoping for oRourke at 4, and Mayes or Garlett

That's around my wish list too stefoid.

LostDoggy
13-10-2012, 07:36 PM

I don't post often but this is me to a T! I'm struggling with the game and where we are at as a club. Dont get me wrong, I will support the club $$$ wise and as a team until I am no longer able but I just dont have the passion for the club and game I once had.

The word passion always came into my head when I thought of the Bulldogs - on the field, in the stands, in the coaches box, in the pre season even in the administration - it no longer does and I struggle to see it. Lets hope is is just buried in my subconscious - ready to be triggered before its too late.

Keep up the great work WOOFers - I really enjoy reading all your posts - often more enjoyable than the football itself!

Happy Days
13-10-2012, 11:25 PM
I miss Lantern - LANTERN COME BACK

Me too, come back soon.

w3design
14-10-2012, 08:00 AM
The AFL website has just posted the hot 20 with highlights and predicted draft range if we could snag Josh simpson at pick 21 that would be a steal WOW.

KT31
14-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Not long at all, and this makes what makes it scary with the new team.
Adelaide took seven years and Westcoast only six.
Both played a final series very early Westcoast second season and Crows third.
Unlike the Crows and Eagle who recruited older and experienced players, the Suns and GWS have had the pick of the best young kids in the country.
Their reign's will last a lot longer.

Hotdog60
14-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I just read that the Crows may let Tippett go to the Draft if it can't strike a deal with the Swans, that would be great for us as one would think that GWS or GC would snap him up.
Leaving more choice at 5 & 6.:)

SlimPickens
14-10-2012, 10:06 AM
I just read that the Crows may let Tippett go to the Draft if it can't strike a deal with the Swans, that would be great for us as one would think that GWS or GC would snap him up.
Leaving more choice at 5 & 6.:)

Wouldnt be GC as they don't have a pick before us, maybe GWS but they'd need to convince Tippett to want to play for them. Hollow threat by Adelaide I'd suggest, they'd have nothing to gain by letting Tippet enter the draft.

GVGjr
14-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Wouldnt be GC as they don't have a pick before us, maybe GWS but they'd need to convince Tippett to want to play for them. Hollow threat by Adelaide I'd suggest, they'd have nothing to gain by letting Tippet enter the draft.

If he is keen to go to Sydney to play for the Swans then he can't carry on if GWS select him at 3. Melbourne would jump hoops to get him at 4 as well.
If he goes to the pre-season then it's either GWS or GC

I think you are right that it's a hollow threat but as good as the Swans are they don't have a lot of options to make the Crows happy.

There might be a chance for us to get involved.

Ghost Dog
14-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Not sure about the hollow threat. The Adelaide clubs have been very unforgiving of 'turncoats' in the past. Port were very proactive, and at The Crows, I seem to recall players suspected of intentions at other clubs were not given games at the end of the season ( unlike us with Ward ) . True or not true?

azabob
14-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Tippet wouldn't nominate for the national draft, he will nominate for the pre-season draft, still resulting in either GWS or GCS picking him up.

KT31
14-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Not sure about the hollow threat. The Adelaide clubs have been very unforgiving of 'turncoats' in the past. Port were very proactive, and at The Crows, I seem to recall players suspected of intentions at other clubs were not given games at the end of the season ( unlike us with Ward ) . True or not true?

Hard to get your headaround isn't it.
Big diference between us and the NRL, some cases in the NRL, Coaches or players have nominated their new club a season prior.
Ward though at least still did put in an effort for us when he new he was leaving, unlike Judas.

F'scary
14-10-2012, 02:27 PM
The AFL website has just posted the hot 20 with highlights and predicted draft range if we could snag Josh simpson at pick 21 that would be a steal WOW.

Thank you for this information. I will investigate now.

Mofra
14-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Tippet wouldn't nominate for the national draft, he will nominate for the pre-season draft, still resulting in either GWS or GCS picking him up.
Do GWS have room in their salary cap? With all of their front-loaded contracts I thought they were close to their limit, hence the contract issues with Giles.

As per Luke Ball, he would nominate a miinimum contract price first one would expect.

F'scary
14-10-2012, 02:37 PM

The majority of this hot 20 are little guys with not much meat on the bone.

azabob
14-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Do GWS have room in their salary cap? With all of their front-loaded contracts I thought they were close to their limit, hence the contract issues with Giles.

As per Luke Ball, he would nominate a miinimum contract price first one would expect.

You are probably right RE GWS.

Will be interesting to see it play out.

Dry Rot
14-10-2012, 11:50 PM
From reading various forums, there's a relatively recent interest in Plowman for one of our picks.

Why?*

*I'm neither for nor against.

GVGjr
15-10-2012, 05:32 AM
From reading various forums, there's a relatively recent interest in Plowman for one of our picks.

Why?*

There will be something written about him in the media if all of a sudden interest in him has peaked.

Bulldog Revolution
15-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Why?*

Seems like a logical consideration for us

A rebounding defender who can play or tall or smaller (3rd tall)?

Will be interesting to see if he is taken above us, or by us. GWS need key position defenders and may well stockpile him.

chef
15-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Why?*

Because in an article about Lake leaving there was a quote from a former Bulldogs player(Kretiuk) who coaches a rival TAC side saying he'd be a good fit for us.

2 + 2 = 5.

WB4Life
15-10-2012, 08:21 AM
could be complete crap, but have heard we've told Brodie Murdoch we will be taking him in the draft, Brodie is the Brother of Geelong Rookie Jordan, he's from a very small town down near here called Pt Mac, can play and is quite an athlete.

LostDoggy
15-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Will be interesting to see if he is taken above us, or by us. GWS need key position defenders and may well stockpile him.

If GWS don't take him it makes sence to me. I'd be quite content adding Plowman to Talia (rated by many as the premier back in last years draft), Roughy and Roberts. Plowman + O'rourke or Mayes who both fill needs would be a solid 5/6 for us.

LostDoggy
15-10-2012, 10:05 AM
could be complete crap, but have heard we've told Brodie Murdoch we will be taking him in the draft, Brodie is the Brother of Geelong Rookie Jordan, he's from a very small town down near here called Pt Mac, can play and is quite an athlete.

What kind of player is Brodie and what pick do you think we'd take him at?

Cheers!

Hotdog60
15-10-2012, 10:19 AM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/draft/MURDOCH-Brodie-2012.jpg

Brodie Murdoch

Glenelg (SA)

187 cm

85 kg

Kevin Sheehan says: "Left-footed medium forward with terrific athleticism highlighted by his pace, agility and vertical leap. Strong overhead and has a terrific work ethic in games as a lead-up forward. Is a long penetrating kick and has the tools to play well in defence. Averaged 12.2 disposals, 4 marks and 2.4 tackles in 5 matches for SA in the NAB AFL U18s this year."

WB4Life
15-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Athletic leading forward, with great hands for a kid, can play one on one too against bigger bodies. mind you all my viewing of him was in our local league, not sure where whe'd take him, know he's talked to alot of clubs. i'd suggest 2nd rnd?

mind you this information came second hand from someone "speaking to his old man", seemed odd they'd pick us, neither guy telling me or his dad are supporters, and guy didn't relaise i was either till after he mentioned it.

bulldogsman
15-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I thought Murdoch looked better as a defender, rather then a forward in the champs. Used the ball really well. Tested well for endurance. I'd say he'd be a later pick.

Mofra
15-10-2012, 02:24 PM

Draft-watchers tend to highlight his rebounding work and the fact he "moves like a midfielder".

Anyone who can find and use the ball well would be welcome on our list and I'd be happy if he slipped to us.

Throughandthrough
15-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Hooray! I hope so!

I've seen him a lot. Had an awful first half of the year after the AIS Academy trip to Paris, and a bad hammy injury, but the last month of the year he was excellent for Glenelg Reserves and made his league debut in round 23.

Can play both ends of the ground, i saw him kick 11 or 12 one game in the u 18's as a full forward ehen playing as an underage.

Nice lad too, but pretty quiet. Has a very close family and heaps of support around him. Is great mates with Tim O'Brien (they share a home together), who will also get drafted.

PS is a year younger than big brother Jordan was when he was drafted. His Father, Roger (Froggy) Murdoch played a lot of SANFL for Norwood

w3design
15-10-2012, 08:01 PM
There is web site Super coach H.Q has a off season part lots videos and wright ups on the draft i found it helpful doing research on what we might get with our picks.

Throughandthrough
16-10-2012, 03:45 PM
GLENELG youngster Harrison Gill is creeping into draft calculations after a scintillating performance at last Saturday's State Combine in Adelaide.

Gill, who won a Powerade SANFL Star Search nomination this season, finished second in the 20m sprint, agility test, standing vertical leap and the beep test.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149750/default.aspx

Dry Rot
16-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Anyone seen tall forward White play or know anything about him?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149782/default.aspx

always right
16-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Easy to get carried away with highlights packages but......the kid looks to be a serious talent with terrific balance. Forget Dawes......use pick 21 on this bloke.

bulldogsman
16-10-2012, 05:05 PM

I was hoping to keep him a secret ;), one of my favourites and I think he will be a bolter come draft day. Enormous talent, the Buddy comparison is just a bit of hype I think though.

Very athletic, tested really well for running jump and speed (2.89 over 20m). He's really what you want in a key forward. Aggressive, crashes packs, strong mark, kicks goals and has that abilitly at ground level like Buddy :p. That's the beauty of him, he's able to crash a pack yet some how still keep his feet and still remain in the contest.

There are some big negatives on him though. He can be a very lazy footballer at times and often he really only makes half of an attempt to pressure the opposition. Sometimes he doesn't even bother. He can also do a bit of a Fevola and can get rather undisciplined. There are days when he does it all though, he just needs a kick up the pants.

LostDoggy
16-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Easy to get carried away with highlights packages but......the kid looks to be a serious talent with terrific balance. Forget Dawes......use pick 21 on this bloke.

This

F'scary
16-10-2012, 06:03 PM

I was hoping to keep him a secret ;), one of my favourites and I think he will be a bolter come draft day. Enormous talent, the Buddy comparison is just a bit of hype I think though.

Very athletic, tested really well for running jump and speed (2.89 over 20m). He's really what you want in a key forward. Aggressive, crashes packs, strong mark, kicks goals and has that abilitly at ground level like Buddy. That's the beauty of him, he's able to crash a pack yet some how still keep his feet and still remain in the contest.

There are some big negatives on him though. He can be a very lazy footballer at times and often he really only makes half of an attempt to pressure the opposition. Sometimes he doesn't even bother. He can also do a bit of a Fevola and can get rather undisciplined. There are days when he does it all though, he just needs a kick up the pants.

Footage viewed: Verdict use pick 6 to guarantee obtaining this fearsome warrior and immediately trade Grant & Jones for additional 3rd round picks as they will no longer be required.

immortalmike
16-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Footage viewed: Verdict use pick 6 to guarantee obtaining this fearsome warrior and immediately trade Grant & Jones for additional 3rd round picks as they will no longer be required.

May need more RAM if you're just going by that video....

Go_Dogs
16-10-2012, 07:18 PM
He can be a very lazy footballer at times and often he really only makes half of an attempt to pressure the opposition. Sometimes he doesn't even bother. He can also do a bit of a Fevola and can get rather undisciplined. There are days when he does it all though, he just needs a kick up the pants.

Nice post - you think it's likely he'd go 2nd round? Very impressive highlight package, although the comments on his application are a bit of a concern.

bulldogsman
16-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Nice post - you think it's likely he'd go 2nd round? Very impressive highlight package, although the comments on his application are a bit of a concern.

2nd round is probably about right, I wouldn't use pick 21 on him.

F'scary
16-10-2012, 08:44 PM
re White:

May need more RAM if you're just going by that video....

2nd round is probably about right, I wouldn't use pick 21 on him.

Surely he will not last until pick 41.

anfo27
16-10-2012, 10:30 PM
I saw the White highlights package & I found it quite underwhelming. The article goes on about crashing packs & taking hangers & all you see is him taking marks out on the lead. Was definitely impressed with his speed & mobility for a big fella & has a lot to work with but Ben Collins has thrown a truck load of mayo on this kids story.

F'scary
17-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I saw the White highlights package & I found it quite underwhelming. The article goes on about crashing packs & taking hangers & all you see is him taking marks out on the lead. Was definitely impressed with his speed & mobility for a big fella & has a lot to work with but Ben Collins has thrown a truck load of mayo on this kids story.

You must have been watching another video of another player who is nowhere near as good as this White.

In the video I reviewed, he did not miss one shot at goal. He kicked them from all angles and all distances, including from within the centre square. He did not drop one mark. He was faster than all the other players. No-one could tackle him. His handballs all found their target, even when he was looking away - amazing to see.

Clearly we must recruit such a talent before another club comes across this video.

always right
17-10-2012, 02:23 PM

He has pace, marking ability, beautiful balance, a fluid kicking action, height, a strong frame, and confidence. The fact the video suggests he gets a lot of posessions on the lead is a positive in my opinion. How many of our current day forwards get separation from their opponent on the lead?

Yes it's a highlights package but what's not to like?

1eyedog
17-10-2012, 04:03 PM
You must have been watching another video of another player who is nowhere near as good as this White.

In the video I reviewed, he did not miss one shot at goal. He kicked them from all angles and all distances, including from within the centre square. He did not drop one mark. He was faster than all the other players. No-one could tackle him. His handballs all found their target, even when he was looking away - amazing to see.

Clearly we must recruit such a talent before another club comes across this video.

I am positive you could get a lowlights package of all the shots he missed and marks he dropped.

Still, sounds like he has some talent but we need to do our due diligence on him. A super highlights package is certainly a cause for finding out more about him. Bit concerned about his alleged inability to focus though.

always right
17-10-2012, 04:19 PM
I am positive you could get a lowlights package of all the shots he missed and marks he dropped.

Still, sounds like he has some talent but we need to do our due diligence on him. A super highlights package is certainly a cause for finding out more about him. Bit concerned about his alleged inability to focus though.

I think F'scary was being sarcastic:)

bulldogsman
18-10-2012, 07:59 PM
GLENELG youngster Harrison Gill is creeping into draft calculations after a scintillating performance at last Saturday's State Combine in Adelaide.

Gill, who won a Powerade SANFL Star Search nomination this season, finished second in the 20m sprint, agility test, standing vertical leap and the beep test.

So who is this Harrison Gill? Sounds interesting.

stefoid
18-10-2012, 09:35 PM

heehee

Dry Rot
19-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Thoughts on taking Kristian Jaksch (if he's still there) at our pick #21?

bulldogsman
19-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Thoughts on taking Kristian Jaksch (if he's still there) at our pick #21?

I think we would be very lucky if he's still there, be great if he was. Not really a dominant player, but he doesn't really have many deficiencies in his game. Apparently his character and leadership skills are good too so it's hard to see him slipping past the first 20 picks.

1eyedog
19-10-2012, 11:02 AM
I think F'scary was being sarcastic:)

Ok thanks, hard to pick up sometimes.

always right
19-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Ok thanks, hard to pick up sometimes.

Agree.....sometimes I don't even pick it with my own posts.

LostDoggy
19-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Spencer White.

Highlights' packages can be deceptive, and Kretiuk might be just talking up this bloke, but as a leading forward, Spencer White looks like he could be worth a punt. I don't know if he has leadership potential or if he has the mental toughness and appetite for the contest that the Dogs recruiters' require, but if he has, surely we should try to get him, given our forward line deficiencies. Has anyone seen him play?

KT31
19-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Spencer White.

Highlights' packages can be deceptive, and Kretiuk might be just talking up this bloke, but as a leading forward, Spencer White looks like he could be worth a punt. I don't know if he has leadership potential or if he has the mental toughness and appetite for the contest that the Dogs recruiters' require, but if he has, surely we should try to get him, given our forward line deficiencies. Has anyone seen him play?

Watched this a couple of days back and hoped at the time he was on the clubs radar.
Would fill a gap nicely in our forward line.
Seems to know where to present and as mentioned is hard at the ball.

Remi Moses
20-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Spencer White.

Blimey, Buddy Franklin clone or what.
Impressive highlight reel

SlimPickens
20-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Blimey, Buddy Franklin clone or what.
Impressive highlight reel

Unfortunately about a tenth of the talent.

Remi Moses
20-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Figured as much.

KT31
20-10-2012, 12:35 PM

I'd settle for a fifth at the moment.

AndrewP6
20-10-2012, 01:10 PM

I'd settle for a fifth at the moment.

That would be more than a tenth!

KT31
20-10-2012, 02:19 PM
That would be more than a tenth!

Good maths ?
Not sure why you would mention it though.

Doc26
20-10-2012, 03:05 PM
They can given the $1.9m+ extra salary cap they have for a while.

The AFL have covered all bases here.

Not to mention as some of GWS's first rounders look to leave Ken Wood will just gift them more 1st round compo picks, it won't end for years.

All this love for Greater Western Sydney and yet Greater Western Melbourne continues to get shafted by the polit bureau.

Mofra
20-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Not to mention as some of GWS's first rounders look to leave Ken Wood will just gift them more 1st round compo picks, it won't end for years.

All this love for Greater Western Sydney and yet Greater Western Melbourne continues to get shafted by the polit bureau.
Bingo - Western Melbourne is a battleground of soccer vs AFL and the fastest growing area in Australia, yet we'll spend millions more to try and convert a few thousand Western Sydneysiders.

We deserve at least the same level of support fromt he AFL. Peter Gordon, make it happen :cool:

WB4Life
24-10-2012, 08:05 AM
have also heard from his local coach that tim o'brien has been heavily talked to by the doggies, 2 or 3 other clubs were gunning for him heavily too, i know richmond was mentioned. i have heard he has been very popular after the combine.

Throughandthrough
24-10-2012, 09:40 AM
have also heard from his local coach that tim o'brien has been heavily talked to by the doggies, 2 or 3 other clubs were gunning for him heavily too, i know richmond was mentioned. i have heard he has been very popular after the combine.

Hope so!

WB4Life
24-10-2012, 09:54 AM
u like what youve seen i take it, throughandthrough?

bornadog
24-10-2012, 11:06 AM
love to snare this bloke: link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149998/default.aspx)

DAYLE GARLETT
DOB: 09/01/1994
Height: 180cm
Weight: 75kg
Club: Swan Districts/Western Australia

Bio: Left-footed medium forward/midfielder who can find space to win the ball and shows great evasiveness through traffic. Very smart goalkicker and stoppage player as well. Excelled for WA in the AFL Under-18 Championships averaging 19.2 possessions, 3.4 clearances and winning All Australian honours.

Upside: Garlett has the sort of natural skills that make recruiters sit up and take notice. He's got pace, can find the ball, moves instinctively in congestion and is a lovely left-foot kick. He excels on the bigger grounds and is a confident sort of character well suited to the big stage. That was evident when he shone in a WA team that struggled at the national carnival and in his ability to perform well consistently at senior level in 11 games for Swan Districts this year. He's certainly no late developer, having made his senior WAFL debut early last year, and has probably been waiting to be challenged to take his game to greater heights.

"I think Garlett's got a lot more to come. Once he gets his endurance up, gets the right nutrition base and is physically fit, I think the sky's the limit." - WA talent manager Raff Guadagnino.

Downside: Garlett is an exciting prospect, but there are some red flags in his past. He was removed from the AIS-AFL Academy in March for disciplinary reasons with questions raised about his commitment at the time. But people close to him maintain he has knuckled down since and will prove an excellent pick-up for the club willing to take a chance on him.

Plays like: Garlett is a big Cyril Rioli fan and there are facets of his game similar to that of the Hawks star. He possesses similar breakaway speed and is dangerous around goal, but by his own admission, needs to build significantly on his endurance base and the defensive aspects of his game if he is to come close to emulating the feats of his idol.

Draft range: Garlett is generally regarded as a 10-to-20 draft prospect, but it wouldn't be a reach for a team inside the top 10 to pounce if it's confident it can provide the right environment for him to flourish. Teams like GWS and Collingwood, who have multiple picks in that range, will look at him closely.

In his own words: "I understand why [my dismissal from the AIS] happened and it made me want to fight for my footy even harder. I really wanted to let everybody know that I was going to change. I'm doing much better now. I think I'm more switched on, which is good. I reckon I have been able to show recruiters that I'm a better person on the field and off it."

LongWait
24-10-2012, 11:34 AM
@BAD

How would Garlett score on Macca's 100 point player assessment ranking? Not well enough in the character/commitment dimensions I guess, but I might be wrong about that. Player interviews and due diligence with coaches and scouts would be critical in taking a punt on Garlett.

Taking Garlett with pick 5 or 6 would seem to be a reach perhaps. Pick 22 could be a possibility, however Anderson might be tempting at 22 if he's still there.

bornadog
24-10-2012, 11:38 AM
@BAD

How would Garlett score on Macca's 100 point player assessment ranking? Not well enough in the character/committment dimensions I guess, but I might be wrong about that. Player interviews and due diligence with coaches and scouts would be critical in taking a punt on Garlett.

Taking Garlett with pick 5 or 6 would seem to be a reach perhaps. Pick 22 could be a possibility, however Anderson might be tempting at 22 if he's still there.

I doubt he would last to 22, but will probably be taken between 10 to 20

LongWait
24-10-2012, 11:56 AM
I doubt he would last to 22, but will probably be taken between 10 to 20

So how do we get him? Hope he slides to 22 I suppose. Or are you suggesting we use pick 6 on Garlett?

bornadog
24-10-2012, 12:01 PM
So how do we get him? Hope he slides to 22 I suppose. Or are you suggesting we use pick 6 on Garlett?

No not suggesting pick 6 as I don't have the expertise to know who is better than who. I just said I would love to have him, but how is another matter:D

Sockeye Salmon
24-10-2012, 12:16 PM
I thought Gartlett was the 2nd best player I saw at the champs after Daniher and before O'Rourke.

azabob
24-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I thought Gartlett was the 2nd best player I saw at the champs after Daniher and before O'Rourke.

mjp is also a big fan (bias perhaps, & rightly so), but Gartlet has a lot of what we need.
SS you would have no problem using pick 5 or 6?

Sockeye Salmon
24-10-2012, 12:23 PM
mjp is also a big fan (bias perhaps, & rightly so), but Gartlet has a lot of what we need.
SS you would have no problem using pick 5 or 6?

On ability? No problems at all.

Can he keep his head right?

azabob
24-10-2012, 12:26 PM

That is the big question mark, which only time will answer.

Throughandthrough
24-10-2012, 12:53 PM
u like what youve seen i take it, throughandthrough?

definitely.

Needs a few years in the gym, but he is tall, can take a big grab, leads well and kicks very straight. And from my very limited dealings with him seems well spoken, polite and level headed.

Remi Moses
24-10-2012, 04:37 PM
That is the big question mark, which only time will answer.

Maybe getting out of His home environment will be useful.
Very impressive in what I saw, remember a great goal on the boundary at Geelong

1eyedog
24-10-2012, 04:44 PM

You would think he may slip out to the early teens becasue of the risk(s) associated with your second point.

Sockeye Salmon
24-10-2012, 04:51 PM
You would think he may slip out to the early teens becasue of the risk(s) associated with your second point.

Nope.

So far it's been dumb stuff but nothing too serious or too sinister.

If he was somehow still there at 22 you couldn't get his name out fast enough.

1eyedog
24-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Nope.

fair enough, thanks.

always right
24-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Perhaps Gartlett needs someone like McCartney to stay on track. Player development is meant to be his strength isn't it?

always right
24-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Nope.

He looks to be a beautiful penetrating left foot kick...and we are in short supply of those.

Over the years we are appear to be a club that regularly recruits the only left foot players who aren't polished disposers.:(

LostDoggy
24-10-2012, 06:54 PM

This is why Darling slipped so low.

You need to back your development staff and take the best player.

wimberga
28-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Looking at the latest Knightmare draft on BF, he has us selecting the following 2:

#5 Western Bulldogs - Oliver Wines (VIC - Mid)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 07/10/1994
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Style: Trent Cotchin (Bigger bodied version)
Player comparison: Josh Caddy
Range: 3-15
Profile: Wines is a really good all rounder and a real footballer who attacks the ball hard and more often than not comes out with it. Good ball user by both hand and foot and decision making ability and for an inside player has rare composure and regularly chooses the right option in a variety of situations. Good finisher around goal. Excellent at reading the play and gets into the right positions. Wines is already very physically developed, big ball winners who can step into an AFL team from round one and play some good football. Wins all the clearances and contested ball and is a guy you can rely on, on the inside to get the job done. Tackling game good. He isn’t a standout athlete but his endurance is elite and will be in the very top percentile and his work rate is a real selling point to his game. Also really like his tackling technique – he pins the arms and stops the opposition player from being able to move the ball on. Real proven performer and likely to have an immediate impact at the next level.

#6 Western Bulldogs (Compensation Pick) - Jackson Macrae (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 03/08/1994
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison: Scott Pendlebury (Early career version)
Range: 3-15
Profile: Macrae has really come on this year and developed into one of the more intriguing prospects. Macrae is a highly skilled and high production outside player who has really played some fantastic football this year and has improved as much as an since the beginning of the season really showing consistent development throughout. Macrae’s kicking ability is a real standout feature – has great penetration and can kick accurately over a range of distances up to 55m and hit targets in dangerous positions. Finishing ability around goal excellent and has a real understanding of his positioning relative to the goals to allow him to execute finishes from positions few others can. Really weights his kicks beautifully and with regularity finds the correct target. Even under pressure in positions where he has no right to get a clear kick off to a target he still has great ability to find the right target up the field. Has rare poise and composure and seems to have more time than the next player in the same way Pendlebury does and just never looks rushed with ball in hand. He reads the play well both offensively and defensively allowing him to get to the right positions. Marking ability above average and field marking ability as well as marking ability behind the ball is good. The other feature in Macrae’s game that makes him stand out from the pack is his running ability. Has really impressive pace and with it a very high work rate and excellent endurance which allows him to get so much of the ball around the ground.

Hard to know who we will go for, I think at least 1 player needs to be a silky mid such as Mayes, ORourke and Macrae. not sure about the other pick being Wines, Plowman and Stringer also offer intrigue

GVGjr
28-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I think there is 5 players in the mix with our first two selections.

Jake Stringer, Ollie Wines, Lachlan Plowman, Jackson Macrae and Sam Mayes.

Menzel might be just be behind those guys.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I like Plowman because he's quick, a great size, takes the game on and uses the ball well. The only possible 'weakness' I forsee is positioning. He isn't a KPD and at around 192cms many players have struggled being that "in between" height. By all reports he has played midfield on occasion though, so versatility is attractive.

Macrae/Mayes I am undecided on. I think Macrae is a more complete footballer who can win his own ball and use it really well on the outside. However, Mayes is a great size and is super quick with great skills. Not sure Mayes has much of an inside game though.

I just don't see it with Wines, especially considering we're well stocked with guys who can win the footy. Stringer is a big risk, but my concern is moreso with his athleticism as opposed to his leg. Not sure he'll be able to play midfield at AFL level and I don't think he'll be a KPF either. For mine, he would be a Mitch Hahn type -- good get at pick 22, not sure about 5 or 6.

I like Garlett. Based on pure ability he's in the top 3 or 4, but the concerns around his attitude probably see him slide to 10-15. Menzel is a great prospect but has had too many injury concerns to take at 5 or 6.

mjp
28-10-2012, 11:09 PM
I like Garlett. Based on pure ability he's in the top 3 or 4, but the concerns around his attitude probably see him slide to 10-15. Menzel is a great prospect but has had too many injury concerns to take at 5 or 6.

I think Garlett will be there at 22. I also don't think we will pick him.

chef
29-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I think there is 5 players in the mix with our first two selections.

Jake Stringer, Ollie Wines, Lachlan Plowman, Jackson Macrae and Sam Mayes.

Menzel might be just be behind those guys.

Do you expect O'Rourke to be gone?

bulldogsman
29-10-2012, 10:27 AM

There are rumours GWS are looking to take him with pick 3.
I'm not sure if we are, but I haven't heard any reports that we interested in O'Rourke.

Regarding Plowman, I've seen quite a bit of him this year but I haven't seen him play in the midfield. I heard reports that he played in the midfield as a junior before he had a big growth spurt, never seen him play there. Interesting his coach is talking him up as a possible midfielder though. Either way he's a very good defender and I don't see his height as an issue. I had this argument last year with Talia who was drafted at 192cm. Plowman will probably play as that 3rd tall defender anyway.

With Garlett on the outer, I like Plowman and Macrae for picks 5 & 6. I like O'Brien at pick 21/22 or someone else that slips.

Sockeye Salmon
29-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I think Garlett will be there at 22. I also don't think we will pick him.

That would make me cry.

Has his attitude/professionalism really been that bad? The kid can seriously play

Bulldog4life
29-10-2012, 10:52 AM
A friend of my daughter has played against Ollie Wines and reckons that he is the complete footballer. Discovered this about him. What do others think?

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=139314

OLIVER Wines has become used to fitting a lot into his days.

The 17-year-old, considered one of the best midfielders available at this year's NAB AFL Draft, lives in Echuca, the Victorian town on the New South Wales border.

Each morning Wines wakes up at about 6.45 and by 7.30 is on the bus for a one-hour trip to Shepparton, where he's studying year 12 at Goulburn Valley Grammar School. When school's done and he has footy commitments, Wines' dad Tony, mum Jane or grandpa Leo Butler picks him up and drives him almost two hours to Bendigo Pioneers training.

At training, Wines gets ready in his corner of the changerooms, is intent on not missing a target by foot, and tries to run as hard as he can for as long as he can (GPS results suggest he is good at this). Then it's back on the road for another hour or so to return home about 9.30 at night.

"They're long days," Wines says. "On the drive I try to do some homework on the laptop. I do a lot of maths at school but it's hard to do much of that in a car bumping up and down, so I usually try to get a bit of English stuff done if I can."

As much as Wines' time management is worthy of praise - his former Pioneers and current Vic Country coach Mark Ellis says he "doesn't like wasting a minute" - recruiters are most enamoured with his football.

Wines is a strong-bodied midfielder who rips the ball out of packs, bustles through traffic and has enough time to find teammates with quick handballs or sharp right-foot kicks.

Two weeks ago in Vic Country's win over Tasmania, Wines had 31 disposals, of which 17 were contested. Last weekend, in Country's loss to Western Australia, he gathered another 24 disposals and also had seven clearances.

Wines enjoys a scrap, but there's nothing about him that's scrappy. He's classy and clean, but describes his main strength as his competitiveness. If the ball is there to be won, he wants to be the guy to do it.

"I do the in and under stuff, try to get the ball out to the runners, and try to be a big contributor," he told AFL.com.au.

He has an inkling how that streak might have developed. Wines grew up with Jack Viney, who moved to Echuca when Jack's father, former Melbourne captain Todd Viney, took on a coaching role with local side Moama.

Viney, who travelled to Europe in April with Wines as part of the AIS-AFL Academy, is a hard-nosed midfielder who will head to Melbourne as a father-son draftee at the end of the season. Wines admits they had their share of battles.

"He's one of my best mates and his competitive edge has rubbed off on me," he says, smiling.

"We've grown up fighting and throwing punches and spending time out in the bush so I think that's where part of my attitude might have come from."

Despite his travel challenges, Wines has followed a traditional path to this point: a member of state squads through school, a taste of TAC Cup footy as an under-16s player, and a general step-up in output in the last two years.

However, competing and distributing is only half of what Wines offers as a player. This season has proved him to be a more complete prospect.

Early last year, he was a stocky 'inside' midfielder at about 182cm. But in the past year he has grown around five centimetres and is now better placed doing some other things, like marking above his head, being a leading target in attack, and having more of a presence around the ground.

He's quick enough, and makes up for any lack of breakaway speed by knowing and reading the game.

"I'm starting to pick up a fair few more handball receives, so when I'm not trying to get it out I'm being involved outside and working it down," he says.

"You've got to be a three dimensional player these days. You can't just have one solid attribute. You've got to have a few parts to your game."

His fighting instincts, though, will always be the cornerstone of his game. Current Pioneers coach David Newett, who has seen Wines average 26 disposals a game in the TAC Cup this year, says he is able to work himself out of down patches.

"If he is having a quiet period, he's been able to show he can fight back into a game by doing all the grunt work around the stoppages and clearances," Newett says.

Wines' style helps drag others into games, too. Last month the Pioneers played Queensland and trailed by almost five goals at half-time. Wines, Bendigo's captain, kicked three third-quarter goals to get his side back in the game. "His teammates really follow him," says Leigh Byrne, the Pioneers' team manager.

Wines skippered Vic Country's win over Queensland, and he blossomed in elite company on the Academy trip. Even after landing late at night in London, Wines found his luggage, put it down, and then went back to help his teammates retrieve their own gear from the baggage carousel.

"He wasn't doing it to show off," says Michael Ablett, the Academy's development manager. "He was doing it just because that's how he is."

With two games of the championships left to play, and a few more after that in the TAC Cup, Wines knows his opportunity is now to impress. He's wondering and thinking about what might lay ahead, but won't be getting distracted.

"Like [Vic Country coach] Mark Ellis says, everything we do now is a job interview and we're being watched and scrutinised to the nth degree," Wines says. "There's a bit of anxiousness about what's to come but I'm excited."

Bulldog Revolution
29-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Wines would seem to make a lot of sense to the Dees at pick 4, given the revolution that Neeld and co hope they have started

Bulldog4life
29-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Wines would seem to make a lot of sense to the Dees at pick 4, given the revolution that Neeld and co hope they have started

He is great mates with Viney too.

stefoid
29-10-2012, 01:48 PM
That would make me cry.

Has his attitude/professionalism really been that bad? The kid can seriously play

Id be staggered if we passed him with 22.

Its going to be a very interesting draft.

bornadog
29-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Id be staggered if we passed him with 22.

Its going to be a very interesting draft.

My best guess is Port will pick him up. I don't believe he will last to pick 22

kruder
29-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Is it just me or does mcrae remind anyone of Sam Power? He has the same kind of awkardness when disposing the footy. He looks to lack a yard of pace too.

bulldogsman
29-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Is it just me or does mcrae remind anyone of Sam Power? He has the same kind of awkardness when disposing the footy. He looks to lack a yard of pace too.

Nope. He's actually very quick in closed spaces which makes him very hard to tackle. Out in the open he does tend to cruise a bit. His kicking does look awkward, but it's very effective.

kruder
29-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Nope. He's actually very quick in closed spaces which makes him very hard to tackle. Out in the open he does tend to cruise a bit. His kicking does look awkward, but it's very effective.

I'm always nervous with the awkard styles adapting to he added pressure of afl footy. Players without time end up floating the footy. I'm hoping your right as reading between the lines it does look like he will be at the dogs next year.

immortalmike
29-10-2012, 05:30 PM

I mentioned it on that other forum, but to me he looks a clone of a pre-draft Cale Morton. Now bare in mind I'm basing this off very little footage.

GVGjr
29-10-2012, 06:05 PM

I'm not sure we are that interested in him.

chef
29-10-2012, 06:28 PM
A friend of my daughter has played against Ollie Wines and reckons that he is the complete footballer. Discovered this about him. What do others think?

OLIVER Wines has become used to fitting a lot into his days.

The 17-year-old, considered one of the best midfielders available at this year's NAB AFL Draft, lives in Echuca, the Victorian town on the New South Wales border.

Each morning Wines wakes up at about 6.45 and by 7.30 is on the bus for a one-hour trip to Shepparton, where he's studying year 12 at Goulburn Valley Grammar School. When school's done and he has footy commitments, Wines' dad Tony, mum Jane or grandpa Leo Butler picks him up and drives him almost two hours to Bendigo Pioneers training.

My daughters go to the same school, I asked them what he's like and apparently he's hot but to focused on football:D.

Bulldog4life
29-10-2012, 07:13 PM
My daughters go to the same school, I asked them what he's like and apparently he's hot but to focused on football:D.

My daughters are the same re: who's hot or not so I know what's like.:) Wouldn't be surprised if we picked him up if Melbourne & Gws don't.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2012, 07:53 PM
With Garlett on the outer, I like Plowman and Macrae for picks 5 & 6. I like O'Brien at pick 21/22 or someone else that slips.

Agree with this, would be happy with that outcome. A medium/tall defender, a dynamic midfielder/half forward and a developing key forward who is very athletic.

BulldogBelle
29-10-2012, 09:34 PM
My daughters are the same re: who's hot or not so I know what's like.:) Wouldn't be surprised if we picked him up if Melbourne & Gws don't.

Wines: This guy is my first choice. A big bodied, skillful accumulator. I think of him as a Goddard/Watson type. Something we just don't have.

Dancin' Douggy
29-10-2012, 10:02 PM
I've been reading a lot about Stringer.
He's being compared to 'Pavlich' type.

Is this in any way accurate or just 'Draft Porn'?

bulldogsman
29-10-2012, 11:43 PM
I mentioned it on that other forum, but to me he looks a clone of a pre-draft Cale Morton. Now bare in mind I'm basing this off very little footage.

I'm always nervous with the awkard styles adapting to he added pressure of afl footy. Players without time end up floating the footy. I'm hoping your right as reading between the lines it does look like he will be at the dogs next year.

I had a quick look at the footage and I don't think it gives a true reflection. He's really taken a big step up since the champs. He reminds me a bit like Dyson Heppell in a way. He just has that rare composure under severe pressure to take a step back or a step to that side to just give him a bit of extra time to hit his target. Very hard guy to tackle. He's also known do some freakish things.

I've been reading a lot about Stringer.
He's being compared to 'Pavlich' type.

Is this in any way accurate or just 'Draft Porn'?

As midfielder maybe, but Pav is much better up forward especially on the lead. I don't think Stringer will ever be a key forward (or key defender), he's more of a 3rd tall type like Goddard. I think Stringer does his best work at the clearances in the midfield rather then in defence or up forward. Hopefully he fully recovers from that leg injury though.

Dry Rot
02-11-2012, 12:48 AM
I make no secret that IMO our current tall forward options are poor (a minority opinion). I'm also unsure that Roughead is a FB.

We have two good first round picks and a good second round pick. But there is little discussion here about getting a KPP with any of these picks.

I think this bloke KRISTIAN Jaksch looks interesting, even more so given this story which I admit is pumping up his tyres

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150632/default.aspx

Thoughts?

jeemak
02-11-2012, 01:26 AM
He didn't seem to have any issues in plucking marks, though I don't think he'll have the opportunity to do so easily when he takes the next step. Every mark he took around the flanks was pretty much on the back of haphazard usage, and while a few teams languishing at the bottom of the ladder will provide an opportunity to do that, the middle run to better sides don't.

I think we need a utility, just about more than anything else. I've watched the footage available of Stringer over and over again, and I just can't bring myself to discount him going early.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-11-2012, 01:52 AM
#22 will be an interesting selection.

Will we take a key forward, or hold off another year with better options possibly available in next year's draft? I like Mason Shaw, but I think he'll be gone. Not overly keen on anymore lean/slight KF's.

I would love one of Kennedy or Simpson if Garlett/Stringer were gone.

Remi Moses
02-11-2012, 01:57 AM
There's speculation we're into Menzel at pick 6.
Huge Risk, but an absolute jet by all accounts.

GVGjr
02-11-2012, 05:38 AM
I make no secret that IMO our current tall forward options are poor (a minority opinion). I'm also unsure that Roughead is a FB.

We have two good first round picks and a good second round pick. But there is little discussion here about getting a KPP with any of these picks.

I think this bloke KRISTIAN Jaksch looks interesting, even more so given this story which I admit is pumping up his tyres

Thoughts?

He's a god player but I'm not convinced he is a true forward. To me he is far better suited to a key defenders spot. I wouldn't consider him at picks 5 or 6 but at 22 he would be harder to pass on.

bornadog
02-11-2012, 09:37 AM
He's a god player but I'm not convinced he is a true forward. To me he is far better suited to a key defenders spot. I wouldn't consider him at picks 5 or 6 but at 22 he would be harder to pass on.

Will he make it to 22?

stefoid
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
There's speculation we're into Menzel at pick 6.
Huge Risk, but an absolute jet by all accounts.

Wow. I heard we were tossing up between Ploughman and Stringer.

Id love watching someone like Menzel playing for us instead of against us for a change,

azabob
02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Wow. I heard we were tossing up between Ploughman and Stringer.

Id love watching someone like Menzel playing for us instead of against us for a change,

I heard a few months back we were not looking a Ploughman but were very keen on Menzel.

Maddog37
02-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Thoughts?

I thought I read we were into fella called Tim Obrien at that pick 22. I have read so much speculation though so who really knows. I reckon two mids at 5-6 and a kpf at 22. Hunter, Stevens and Young are all mids too so maybe a key back r small quick forward with 51.

That's my two bobs worth anyway.

Mofra
02-11-2012, 10:44 AM
I thought I read we were into fella called Tim Obrien at that pick 22. I have read so much speculation though so who really knows. I reckon two mids at 5-6 and a kpf at 22. Hunter, Stevens and Young are all mids too so maybe a key back r small quick forward with 51.

Some of the draft watchers think Mason Shaw will slide to our pick 22 as well, have no idea if we're interested or spoke to him at draft camp.

bulldogsman
02-11-2012, 10:45 AM

O'Brien would be a good fit at #22 to our forward structure. I'm in favour of getting him.

Jaksch I'm not sure on as a forward, I tend to agree he does look better suited to defence.

azabob
02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
O'Brien would be a good fit at #22 to our forward structure. I'm in favour of getting him.

Jaksch I'm not sure on as a forward, I tend to agree he does look better suited to defence.

Sorry if you have already explained but what type of play is Obrien and also Jacobs from port?

always right
02-11-2012, 11:53 AM
He didn't seem to have any issues in plucking marks, though I don't think he'll have the opportunity to do so easily when he takes the next step. Every mark he took around the flanks was pretty much on the back of haphazard usage, and while a few teams languishing at the bottom of the ladder will provide an opportunity to do that, the middle run to better sides don't.

What I do like about him is that he seems to take his marks at full stretch....makes it very hard for a defender to spoil....much like Nick Riewoldt.

wimberga
02-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about us using pick 5 or 6 on Menzel given that there is a chance he could still be around with our third pick.

I think Wines if available and Stringer would be beautiful for us with 5 + 6 then having a go at White/Obrien/Gartlett/Menzel with 22.

Remi Moses
02-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Might be able to nab Simpson or Garlett with pick 22.
Hopefully should become pick 21.

SlimPickens
02-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about us using pick 5 or 6 on Menzel given that there is a chance he could still be around with our third pick.

I think Wines if available and Stringer would be beautiful for us with 5 + 6 then having a go at White/Obrien/Gartlett/Menzel with 22.

Tend to agree with this, would be very happy with Wines (not sure he'll get through to our pick) and Stringer.

Menzel will be a huge risk for a club especially with a top 10 pick. Like one of Garlett/Kennedy/Simpson or menzel at pick 22

bulldogsman
02-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Sorry if you have already explained but what type of play is Obrien and also Jacobs from port?

Quick summary.

O'Brien is a quick, smart tall forward with good hands. Protects the drop zone of the ball particularly well.

Jacobs is an attacking half back flanker/midfielder that finds plenty of it. Reads play well and has decent skills.

azabob
02-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Quick summary.

O'Brien is a quick, smart tall forward with good hands. Protects the drop zone of the ball particularly well.

Jacobs is an attacking half back flanker/midfielder that finds plenty of it. Reads play well and has decent skills.

Cheers.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-11-2012, 04:54 PM
bulldogsman, I know you don't rate Shaw as high as some, how come?

He's one of the guys I'd like to look at with #22.

bulldogsman
03-11-2012, 12:59 AM
bulldogsman, I know you don't rate Shaw as high as some, how come?

He's one of the guys I'd like to look at with #22.

I just haven't seen it. His stats look impressive in the WAFL, but I can only base his game off four championship games I saw and they weren't that good. He's not a great athlete and I don't think he works hard enough for someone with supposedly good endurance. I question if his game will transfer well to the next level.

Of course I've been wrong before and I seem to be in the minority here.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-11-2012, 09:57 AM

I'm in your camp. After losing Jack Martin I'm trying to suspend hope and expectation but Wines and Stringer are exciting prospects. God Stringer looks good.
Waiting for the draft is like being a kid and looking in the chocolate shop.

Maddog37
03-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Call me mental but I would like Stringer and Menzel.

I read in inside footy I think it was that Stringer only started kicking on his right foot at the combine. He was also right up ther in the running vertical leap which is a good sign of explosiveness IMHO.

Menzel is super talented and does it all. Exactly what we need.

Bulldog Revolution
03-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Ive heard Menzel talked about as the third best player in the draft

I dont think there is any chance Jaksh is there at 22, nor Simpson. Garlett and Stringer might be on character/injury concerns. OBrien and Kennedy Ive got a suspicion might be gone, but obviously might not be

Remi Moses
03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Get a feeling that's why Collingwood got holds of those picks.
Reckon they think Menzel or Stringer might fall through.

FrediKanoute
04-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Get a feeling that's why Collingwood got holds of those picks.
Reckon they think Menzel or Stringer might fall through.

I agree. I think that one will slide. I personally would not be upset if we took both.

Interestingly the BF Phantom Draft is on at the moment they have us taking O'Rourke and Wines at 5 & 6. Again I wouldn't be upset at this.

Remi Moses
04-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I agree. I think that one will slide. I personally would not be upset if we took both.

Interestingly the BF Phantom Draft is on at the moment they have us taking O'Rourke and Wines at 5 & 6. Again I wouldn't be upset at this.

I reckon we'll take Stringer with one, and O'Rourke, Wines or Maccrae with the other

Mantis
05-11-2012, 06:31 AM

I can't see us taking both Menzel & Stringer, just too big risk coming off their injuries... I think we will go a little safer with at least one of our picks.

wimberga
05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
I can't see us taking both Menzel & Stringer, just too big risk coming off their injuries... I think we will go a little safer with at least one of our picks.

Agree with this - feels like one of our first will be stringer/menzel whilst the other will be a safer o'rourke/macrae/wines

azabob
05-11-2012, 09:20 AM

What would you do?

SlimPickens
05-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Agree with this - feels like one of our first will be stringer/menzel whilst the other will be a safer o'rourke/macrae/wines

Or Mayes

Mantis
05-11-2012, 11:13 AM
What would you do?

We need quality players so my view would be to pick the kids who will the best in 3+ years.

If it means we need to ease players back from injuries over the next 2 or so years then that's ok as we don't need immediate pay-back.

bornadog
05-11-2012, 11:15 AM
What would you do?

I would go with Menzel and another kid.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Stringer trained with us for a week earlier this year and by reports the coaches were really impressed

Go_Dogs
05-11-2012, 06:41 PM

I tend to agree. I think you can say two of Menzel, Stringer, O'Rourke, Macrae, Wines and Mayes are likely to be called at our picks, I think it's unlikely we would select both Menzel and Stringer, although not impossible if we're confident about both their bodies.

Hotdog60
05-11-2012, 06:56 PM
I read today that Wines is great mates with Viney and Todd Viney worked with him as a junior. Maybe a good chance he will go to Melbourne if the pick doesn't get taken away.

SlimPickens
05-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I read today that Wines is great mates with Viney and Todd Viney worked with him as a junior. Maybe a good chance he will go to Melbourne if the pick doesn't get taken away.

I'd say he is about a 98% chance of getting picked up by Melb assuming GWS don't get him with one of their first 3.

dog town
05-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Barring any of the top 4 getting through I would like O'Rourke to be one of them. I think he gets passed over a bit because he doesn't do much wrong and is good at most things. He doesn't have a stand out feature but he has no huge weaknesses either. Will just collect the footy every week and uses it pretty well.

I would find it hard to ignore Menzel despite the injury concerns. It is a risk but he has the kind of elite talent we need.

azabob
05-11-2012, 07:24 PM
I'd say he is about a 98% chance of getting picked up by Melb assuming GWS don't get him with one of their first 3.

Would you be happy if we picked up Wines? (2%) chance of it happening.

wimberga
05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Would you be happy if we picked up Wines? (2%) chance of it happening.

I wouldnt be against it if he did slip or Melbourne lost their pick. I think with the early picks you have to go best available, and I really do feel like he is the best mid behind Toumpas and Whitfield and assuming GWS snag Grundy.

However, more and more i get the feeling we are tossing up between Menzel/Stringer with one pick and Macrae/O'Rourke with the other. If any of the first four change, it could complicate things (ie: Wines/Grundy/Toumpas slipping through)

The Macrae/O'Rourke choice looms pretty challenging as Macrae could develop into anything form a Nat Fyfe to a Sam Power whereas O'Rourke seems a bit more of a known quantity but with perhaps less upside/downside.

LostDoggy
06-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm thinking that either Menzel or Stringer will be ours with pick 6. Who is the better pick between Macrae and O'Rourke?

Remi Moses
06-11-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm thinking that either Menzel or Stringer will be ours with pick 6. Who is the better pick between Macrae and O'Rourke?

Agree, reckon it will be Stringer or Menzel.
Risk reward policy, not sure on the other though

Ghost Dog
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Sorry Remi, what do you mean, Risk reward policy?

azabob
06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Sorry Remi, what do you mean, Risk reward policy?

Menzel and Stringer have huge amount of ability but are both under serious injury concern. If not for their injuries the talk is they would be picked early on.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Menzel and Stringer have huge amount of ability but are both under serious injury concern. If not for their injuries the talk is they would be picked early on.

Stringer was touted top 3 prior to doing his leg (albeit that call was premature as it was a long way out from the draft)

Menzel i assume would have been top 5 but he did his at 16.

I wouldnt mind if we picked one of them but both would be too risky.

I'm hoping Stringer and O'Rourke but wouldnt be unhappy with Menzel. Funnily enough i trust BMac's decisions when it comes to recruitment.

chef
06-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Stringer was touted top 3 prior to doing his leg (albeit that call was premature as it was a long way out from the draft)

Menzel i assume would have been top 5 but he did his at 16.

I wouldnt mind if we picked one of them but both would be too risky.

I'm hoping Stringer and O'Rourke but wouldnt be unhappy with Menzel. Funnily enough i trust BMac's decisions when it comes to recruitment.

It's not up to him.

wimberga
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
It's not up to him.

You are right Chef, though he does seemingly have a large amount of input (see last years first rounder).

I also have faith in Macca and feel more confident in him being able to pick the players to play his style.

chef
06-11-2012, 07:33 PM
You are right Chef, though he does seemingly have a large amount of input (see last years first rounder).

I also have faith in Macca and feel more confident in him being able to pick the players to play his style.

He had a say in the type, but not the player. Dalrymple chose between Kerridge and Smith who he rated as the best inside mids still available at our pick.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-11-2012, 07:39 PM
It's not up to him.

He would have a large say. I'm sure prior to the draft the team determines who they are after. Maybe on draft day if it doesn't pan out as hoped the recruitment team determines who they pick but I'm sure the coach almost has the final say/approval on who to draft pre draft day

Go_Dogs
06-11-2012, 07:48 PM
He would have a large say. I'm sure prior to the draft the team determines who they are after. Maybe on draft day if it doesn't pan out as hoped the recruitment team determines who they pick but I'm sure the coach almost has the final say/approval on who to draft pre draft day

I'm not sure about that. I think the coaching staff would set an agenda of needs and the types we want, but it is up to the recruiter to identify the players that best fit the need/type we want and they would have the final say. I'm sure the recruiting staff and list manager would also be heavily involved in the discussions with the coaching staff for the need/type we most want too.

I'm not sure however whether our character assessments and the criteria we ultimately rank potential draftees on is something the coach has developed himself, or something all the key departments have been involved in. It's an all in process, but I think our new coach is perhaps slightly more involved in the process than Eade was - hard to say though - either way, I think we're heading in the right direction and we've nailed some decent selections over the past couple of years.

GVGjr
06-11-2012, 07:53 PM
It's not up to him.

I want a coach to back his recruiters but he also has to have some say in proceedings. I'd like to think he has talked to the top 6 or 7 guys at the very least given the position in the draft where we are selecting from.

Sockeye Salmon
06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I want a coach to back his recruiters but he also has to have some say in proceedings. I'd like to think he has talked to the top 6 or 7 guys at the very least given the position in the draft where we are selecting from.

The coach has an input on what type of player he would like.

Eade asked Dalrymple for half backs who could kick and Dalrymple gave him Howard and Tutt.

GVGjr
06-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Eade asked Dalrymple for half backs who could kick and Dalrymple gave him Howard and Tutt.

Given they weren't the better known names I'm sure he would have also done his own due diligence as well.

F'scary
07-11-2012, 01:33 PM

Did Dalrymple mishear Eade and thought he said "I want half-backs who can't get a kick." That however does not explain the selection of Tutt who has not even been played as a half-back.

LostDoggy
07-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Think there are several people from each club at the combine interviewing their likely selections. I would assume (certainly hope) BMac was part of the team doing that process? Anyone have any insight into who attends the combine?

SlimPickens
07-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Think there are several people from each club at the combine interviewing their likely selections. I would assume (certainly hope) BMac was part of the team doing that process? Anyone have any insight into who attends the combine?

All senior coaches were in attendance at the combine. Also saw Bmac at various carnival games mid year.

wimberga
07-11-2012, 09:47 PM
How would people feel if Grundy slipper through to our picks? It's possible as GWS has been reported to be following a Sydney model of trading for ruckman as opposed to drafting them, though its hard to know for sure.

Would people consider him with one of our first rounders? in some ways hes not what we need but if you just want to get the best players possible we would have to seriously consider taking him, surely?

Throughandthrough
07-11-2012, 10:03 PM
How would people feel if Grundy slipper through to our picks? It's possible as GWS has been reported to be following a Sydney model of trading for ruckman as opposed to drafting them, though its hard to know for sure.

Would people consider him with one of our first rounders? in some ways hes not what we need but if you just want to get the best players possible we would have to seriously consider taking him, surely?

Sh+t yes.

jeemak
07-11-2012, 10:07 PM
I understand there's a need to get the best talent on to our list, though I think our needs for medium sized forwards, genuine creative midfielders and potentially a key defender outweigh picking up Grundy on a best player available basis.

SlimPickens
07-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I understand there's a need to get the best talent on to our list, though I think our needs for medium sized forwards, genuine creative midfielders and potentially a key defender outweigh picking up Grundy on a best player available basis.

Agree with this Grundy is a good player but just can't see the need for him at the dogs.

jeemak
07-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Agree with this Grundy is a good player but just can't see the need for him at the dogs.

Granted I don't know too much about him beyond what I've read around the traps, and some vision, though without him being a clear standout talent I think we have enough on our list in his area for us to focus on other areas.