PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft - Who do you like?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

wimberga
07-11-2012, 11:57 PM
It's interesting because if he slides it may well be that we get him.

However, if we assume that the top 4 gone before our two picks are Whitfield Toumpas Grundy and Wines, I'm leaning more and more towards us selecting Stringer and Macrae.

The highlights of Macrae makes me feel like he is exactly the kind of player we need, whilst Stringer could be seen as slightly less risky than Menzel and from all reports is a player that is versatile but consistently impacts the course of the game no matter where he plays.

jeemak
08-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Seems you might have copped the same Internal Server Error I did mate!

I like the look of McCrae and I really like the look of Stringer and think he's worth a shot at six from what I've seen. We don't have a utility like him on the list, big bodied, versatile and talented.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-11-2012, 12:10 AM
I really want Menzel and Mayes, though I wouldn't be unhappy with Macrae either.

kruder
08-11-2012, 01:50 AM
I'm finding it hard to choose at 5 and 6 as so many of the touted pics have doubts on them.
One player that will be a gun at AFL level will be Ben Kennedy yet he wont be around for our third pick.

A player like Toumpas pics himself but from pic 4 onwards IMO there is little between the remainder of the top 20.

Does anyone like Towers?

bulldogsthru&thru
08-11-2012, 09:47 AM
i wouldn't be unhappy with the picks below

Pick 5: Macrae, O'Rourke or Mayes
Pick 6: Stringer or Menzel

I don't think we have a need for Grundy. We have plenty of talls. And we also have too many players that are similar to Wines

Ghost Dog
08-11-2012, 09:58 AM
What's the summary of the injury knocks on Menzel ad Stringer? Both knees?

wimberga
08-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Others may be able to provide further insight but my understanding is that Stringer had a compound fracture in his left leg, had to have a metal rod and pins inserted whilst it healed but it was an injury that is deemed to have little recurring effect.

Menzel has actually had the LARS surgery already at a point in his life when he is still growing and from memory it was a PCL. For me, he seems the bigger risk thus why I am keener on Stringer.

The comparisons on Stringer to Luke Hodge in that he can play anywhere on the ground and affect the game wherever he plays really excites me and him along with one of Macrae/Mayes/O'Rourke could really set us up with 2 players that can have a large bearing on the course of a game.

bornadog
08-11-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm finding it hard to choose at 5 and 6 as so many of the touted pics have doubts on them.
One player that will be a gun at AFL level will be Ben Kennedy yet he wont be around for our third pick.

A player like Toumpas pics himself but from pic 4 onwards IMO there is little between the remainder of the top 20.

Does anyone like Towers?

I would love Toumpas but I doubt he will be around at our pick.

Mofra
08-11-2012, 10:27 AM
What's the summary of the injury knocks on Menzel ad Stringer? Both knees?
Menzel is a knee, had LARS surgery at age 16. Rumoured (but not confirmed) that he will probably need surgery down the track.

Stringer had a compound lower leg break at 16, had metal rods & screws in but they have since been removed (he's ahead of the curve in his recovery). Has spent the year recovering but still managed to play VFL football for 3 games. Touted as one of the top talents in the draft.

Uninjured they could feasibly both be in the top 3 accoprding to BF group-think. I like what I've seen of Stringer.

wimberga
08-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Please find articles on both Stringer and Menzel below:

Stringer - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150045/default.aspx

Menzel - http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/menzel-hoping-for-a-draft-kneesup-20121002-26xey.html

It's also worth mentioning that Stinger trained with the club in January and my understanding is that all WB personnel were impressed with what they saw.

Ghost Dog
09-11-2012, 02:13 AM
I like him. And young enough perhaps to overcome this injury if he follows the advice of doctors and doesn't over do it.
Might even give him a mental edge.

stefoid
09-11-2012, 11:04 AM
FWIW, a somewhat more credible rumour than most on the BF board says Carlton have crossed Menzel off their list because we are taking him.

kruder
09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
I really want Menzel and Mayes, though I wouldn't be unhappy with Macrae either.

I'm warming to your combo with the guy from inside footy saying on SEN we will take Menzel.
It's a massive call by the club to take him considering the most talented player on our list can't get on the park but you have to back their judgement.

Mayes tested really well AIS-AFL Academy Running Vertical Jump Right - 80cm, 20m Sprint - 2.95 secs, Agility - 7.92secs, Beep Test - 14.4 add that to the fact he is considered the best kick in the draft that ticks all my boxes. I can't see why he cant play midfield.

Bulldog4life
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
From just what I've read it appears that the first two picks will be two of Jon O'Rourke, Troy Menzel, Lachie Plowman, Jackson Macrae, Oliver Wines, Jake Stringer and Sam Mayes.

Taking into account Toumas will get picked by GWS and possibly Grundy anyone else would appear to be from left field.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-11-2012, 02:12 PM
From just what I've read it appears that the first two picks will be two of Jon O'Rourke, Troy Menzel, Lachie Plowman, Jackson Macrae, Oliver Wines, Jake Stringer and Sam Mayes.

Taking into account Toumas will get picked by GWS and possibly Grundy anyone else would appear to be from left field.

My preferred combination would be O'Rourke and Stringer. Im not too keen on Wines as we have plenty of that type but also don't really want to give up a high pick for Plowman.

Out of O'Rourke, Mayes and Macrae im not really fussed which we pick but i hope its in combination with a Stringer or Menzel.

I'm warming to your combo with the guy from inside footy saying on SEN we will take Menzel.

Who is this guy from Inside Footy saying we will take Menzel? How confident was he on this?

Remi Moses
09-11-2012, 03:33 PM
FWIW, a somewhat more credible rumour than most on the BF board says Carlton have crossed Menzel off their list because we are taking him.

Blimey, the medicos will get an X-Ray other than Tommy Williams for once.
I get a feeling GWS will pick up Stringer and Grundy will slip.

Throughandthrough
10-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Just quietly, I don't rate Toumpas as highly as most of the world. No doubt he is very talented and a leader among his peers, but I personally have never seen him do a lot (and he has been injured just about all this year)

Ps I am normally completely wrong

GVGjr
10-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Just quietly, I don't rate Toumpas as highly as most of the world. No doubt he is very talented and a leader among his peers, but I personally have never seen him do a lot (and he has been injured just about all this year)

Ps I am normally completely wrong

I think you might be underrating him a fraction. Perhaps he isn't a true top 2 or 3 pick but he's an intelligent footballer who uses the ball and in an even draft he's seen as a top pick.

Would you have the likes Menzel, Mayes and Grundy ahead of him?

Throughandthrough
10-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Yes,yes and yes. But as I said I am normally wrong!

I know that Toumpas peers rate him very, very highly

bulldogsthru&thru
10-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Tomorrow's Herald Sun 'Pick Me' is apparently who we are after

kruder
11-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Tomorrow's Herald Sun 'Pick Me' is apparently who we are after

O'Rourke?? Where did you get that from?

kruder
11-11-2012, 01:01 AM
My preferred combination would be O'Rourke and Stringer. Im not too keen on Wines as we have plenty of that type but also don't really want to give up a high pick for Plowman.

Out of O'Rourke, Mayes and Macrae im not really fussed which we pick but i hope its in combination with a Stringer or Menzel.

Who is this guy from Inside Footy saying we will take Menzel? How confident was he on this?

Inside footy have done a phantom draft, not sure of his name but its the guy that did it. How sure? Nobody really knows but said we are keen.

kruder
11-11-2012, 01:38 AM

he missing ingredient - polish - could be delivered at next week's draft in the form of Jono O'Rourke, who is firming as the Dogs' prized No.5 pick.

And the classy, smooth-moving midfielder would be a steal according to some rivals, who rate O'Rourke as the third-best talent in the draft.

But with GWS unlikely to chase midfielders with all of its first three selections, and Melbourne's infatuation with hard-nut Ollie Wines, the Dogs could be delivered a dream result.

"The Bulldogs are probably my preferred club," said O'Rourke, who is mates with Dogs defender Michael Talia.

"I think it's a team I could get involved in and use my strengths for. It's close to home and a good area, too."

Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte said Whitten Oval would be a good fit for "Rolls-Royce" O'Rourke.

"He'd be sensational there. I wouldn't mind getting off (Tom) Liberatore and (Mitch) Wallis' handballs from inside and streaming down the wing," Kyte said.

O'Rourke shone for Vic Metro this year with his ball use tracking at 78 per cent and his ability to cut sides open with devastating bursts impressing coaches.

"He seems to glide around the ground and not be over-extending himself, but he never gets caught," Kyte said.

w"A couple of times he won the centre clearance and then hit a Joey (Daniher) up on the lead and it was AFL-like, it was very enjoyable to watch."

O'Rourke put his mix of inside and outside work down to decision making and modelling his game on Trent Cotchin and Scott Pendlebury.

"If I see a player who can win the ball you rely on them to get it out to you, but if you're in the spot to be that ball winner you have to make that decision, you cant be half-hearted," he said.

"If I'm in space I like to take my time to help my execution, but if I'm under the pump I can use that breakaway speed to give that extra bit of time."

bulldogsthru&thru
11-11-2012, 01:39 AM

Sam L from HS tweeted it. Mark Stevens with the retweet which makes it more reliable I guess

GVGjr
11-11-2012, 09:16 AM
O'Rourke would fit into our midfield nicely. There are so many great candidates with our first two picks and then later on with our third that we should come away from the draft pretty happy with things especially given that we also get a bargain with Hunter.

Bulldog Revolution
11-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Interesting, apart from Whitfield, there is some conjecture as to where everyone else will go

Most think Toumpas at 2, whilst we've heard various reports of Grundy, ORourke and Plowman at 3

Its going to be interesting to see how it all plays out

But as GVGjr has said, we should end up with 3 excellent prospects

LostDoggy
11-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I can't see us taking both Menzel & Stringer, just too big risk coming off their injuries... I think we will go a little safer with at least one of our picks.

Wise words. Two early picks isn't the time to roll the dice on players with injury concerns. I'm not against either of them but both of them might not be the solid selections we need.

LostDoggy
11-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Impressive list isnt it?

O'Rourke and Plowman works for me but then again I could probably make 4 combinations from that list that I'd be more than happy about. A mate of mine in SA thinks Mayes is excatly like Griffen. Wouldn't be bad to add another Griff.

dog town
11-11-2012, 11:03 AM
What are the chances of Colqhoun getting through to our 3rd pick? I think he is a good fit for us. Uses it well, good vision and the sort of player we lack coming off half back. Could end up a mid also.

azabob
11-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Sam L from HS tweeted it. Mark Stevens with the retweet which makes it more reliable I guess

Why? Sam is also a dogs supporter and broke the Hansen signing.

GVGjr
11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
What are the chances of Colqhoun getting through to our 3rd pick? I think he is a good fit for us. Uses it well, good vision and the sort of player we lack coming off half back. Could end up a mid also.

I think there is a big chance he would still be available. He reads the play so well and is a nice kick.

azabob
11-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Wise words. Two early picks isn't the time to roll the dice on players with injury concerns. I'm not against either of them but both of them might not be the solid selections we need.

Without putting words in Mantis mouth, I think his view is if they are the best two available pick them, he is saying we as a club won't take that risk.

bornadog
11-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Western Bulldogs hope for a dream elemen (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/pickme/western-bulldogs-hope-for-a-dream-element/story-fnau1fjg-1226514318419)

THE Western Bulldogs midfield of the future is shaping as a band of ferocious ball winners which relishes tough contests.

2012 AFL Draft: Pick Me - Jono O'Rourke

The missing ingredient - polish - could be delivered at next week's draft in the form of Jono O'Rourke, who is firming as the Dogs' prized No.5 pick.

And the classy, smooth-moving midfielder would be a steal according to some rivals, who rate O'Rourke as the third-best talent in the draft.

But with GWS unlikely to chase midfielders with all of its first three selections, and Melbourne's infatuation with hard-nut Ollie Wines, the Dogs could be delivered a dream result.

"The Bulldogs are probably my preferred club," said O'Rourke, who is mates with Dogs defender Michael Talia.

"I think it's a team I could get involved in and use my strengths for. It's close to home and a good area, too."

Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte said Whitten Oval would be a good fit for "Rolls-Royce" O'Rourke.

"He'd be sensational there. I wouldn't mind getting off (Tom) Liberatore and (Mitch) Wallis' handballs from inside and streaming down the wing," Kyte said.

O'Rourke shone for Vic Metro this year with his ball use tracking at 78 per cent and his ability to cut sides open with devastating bursts impressing coaches.

"He seems to glide around the ground and not be over-extending himself, but he never gets caught," Kyte said.

w"A couple of times he won the centre clearance and then hit a Joey (Daniher) up on the lead and it was AFL-like, it was very enjoyable to watch."

O'Rourke put his mix of inside and outside work down to decision making and modelling his game on Trent Cotchin and Scott Pendlebury.

"If I see a player who can win the ball you rely on them to get it out to you, but if you're in the spot to be that ball winner you have to make that decision, you cant be half-hearted," he said.

"If I'm in space I like to take my time to help my execution, but if I'm under the pump I can use that breakaway speed to give that extra bit of time."

THE JONO O'ROURKE FILE

HEIGHT: 184cm

WEIGHT: 73kg

POSITION: Classy midfielder

PREDICTED DRAFT RANGE: 3-8

IN THE MIX: GWS (No.3), Dogs (5), Lions (8)

PLAYS LIKE: Trent Cotchin

wimberga
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Starting to get pretty excited about this draft and agree with those above who have said that whoever we pick, we should come away from this draft very happy.

My preferred 5-6 picks would be one of Stringer/Menzel as I think it is perhaps too risky to take both, and use the other pick to secure one of Macrae/O'Rourke/Mayes (in order of preference).

Macrae seems to really have that poise and time on the ball that players like Pendlebury have. I would love to have him, but seeing that he was not really on many radars last year and has only bolted this year, i dont know if that makes him slightly more risky.

Thanks for the link to the O'rourke pick me video - these have been pretty good thus far. He seems a lot safer bet and whilst they mentioned his consistency in the video, I really liked that they talked about him as a player that just impacts games and explodes from contests. If that isnt media spin, I'd also be happy to get him. The comparisons to Cotchin are also pretty exciting if accurate.

Additionally Mayes comes across as a more outside player with a deadly boot who again sounds exciting but I must admit I have not seen/read as much on him as the other two.

the only player I am not so keen on in our discussions is Plowman. Its not that I have anything against him as a player and if we did select him I would back the coach in, but I just think that with those early picks we should be targeting players that can really hurt the opposition around the ground and forward of centre, and therefore should not be selecting a rebounding KPP. I just cant think of a rebounding KPP that i would ever take over a damaging midfielder/forward if I was in the position of allocating a teams early draft picks.

SlimPickens
11-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Would be wrapped to get O'Rourke. I jumped at him at 3 in the phantom draft as i think his class will complement any midfield. If he is available we take him at 5, it's that simple for me.

Pick 6 is very intriguing, I'm convinced we will take Stringer with this pick. He has been to WO on multiple occasions and has trained with the club I just can't see why you would put so much effort in to a player if you're not going to take him. The kid can seriously play, give me another player in the TAC cup who kicked 10 goals in a game, it just didn't happen.

If we ended up with O'Rourke and Stringer 5 & 6 I'd be doing cartwheels.

dog town
11-11-2012, 12:34 PM
I think there is a big chance he would still be available. He reads the play so well and is a nice kick.

Looks a very good sweeping type half back to me. What is the knock on him that would see him fall so far? Cant defend? I like the way he lowers his vision and the way he gathers plenty of h/ball receives which is something we need.

GVGjr
11-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Looks a very good sweeping type half back to me. What is the knock on him that would see him fall so far? Cant defend? I like the way he lowers his vision and the way he gathers plenty of h/ball receives which is something we need.

I'm not sure that there is much of a knock on him but maybe there isn't a lot of need for smallish defenders.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2012, 12:45 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/shifters-top-30-2012.pdf

Kevin Sheehan's top 30 players. Good profiles with PDF - Pictures and stats.
Anyone know about Josh Simpson?
Some mates of mine ( Melb supporters gah ) have him as a bit of a smokie.
We already have one speculative indig player so can't see us being intrested. Probably going to Adelaide or a WA club you would assume, but Collingwood rumoured to be very keen.

Maddog37
11-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Kevin Sheehan?

SlimPickens
11-11-2012, 12:53 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/shifters-top-30-2012.pdf

We already have one speculative indig player so can't see us being intrested. Probably going to Adelaide or a WA club you would assume, but Collingwood rumoured to be very keen.

I wouldn't have thought a touted top 25 pick is that speculative. Simpson can play, I'd be surprised if he gets to pick 22.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Two people I know rated him higher than that. One at 20, the other said he will go top 10. Hence the speculation.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't have thought a touted top 25 pick is that speculative. Simpson can play, I'd be surprised if he gets to pick 22.

Collingwood have 18 don't they? he's under consideration inside top 20.

SlimPickens
11-11-2012, 01:19 PM
We already have one speculative indig player so can't see usbeing intrested. Probably going to Adelaide or a WA club you would assume, but Collingwood rumoured to be very keen.
I was referencing this statement, with the implication that Skinner (assume that is who you meant?) is speculative and that you see Simpson in the same mold. My contention is that picking Simpson wouldn't be as speculative as say Skinner as he is a highly touted junior. My apologies if I'm off the mark.

azabob
11-11-2012, 01:29 PM
If we ended up with O'Rourke and Stringer 5 & 6 I'd be doing cartwheels.

Slim do you know how the AIS kids end up training with the clubs for the one or two week period? How did we end up with Stringer but not Menzel for example who was at Geelong.

SlimPickens
11-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Slim do you know how the AIS kids end up training with the clubs for the one or two week period? How did we end up with Stringer but not Menzel for example who was at Geelong.

The AIS people allocate it, mainly for geographic reasons. So Whitfield went to St Kilda as he lives 20 mins away, plowman and McBean (who are Calder kids) went to North, Daniher and Lonergan(because of his uncle) went to Essendon. Obviously geography for the country kids is a little different but but for some reason we ended up with Stringer.

azabob
11-11-2012, 01:48 PM
The AIS people allocate it, mainly for geographic reasons. So Whitfield went to St Kilda as he lives 20 mins away, plowman and McBean (who are Calder kids) went to North, Daniher and Lonergan(because of his uncle) went to Essendon. Obviously geography for the country kids is a little different but but for some reason we ended up with Stringer.

Thanks.

LostDoggy
11-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I've had a bit of a look around and Spencer Whites name gets a regular mention. Looks to have a blend of size and pace so would he be a player we would have a look at at 22?

GVGjr
11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
I've had a bit of a look around and Spencer Whites name gets a regular mention. Looks to have a blend of size and pace so would he be a player we would have a look at at 22?

White is athletically gifted
At the draft combine he was in the top 10% for the 5, 10 and 20mtr sprints but he needs to some more work on his endurance finishing in the bottom 12% of the 3km time trial.

He also performed brilliantly well with his vertical leaps and he measured in just a touch under 196cm.

He should have a few clubs interested in him but it's very hard to predict where he might land.

SlimPickens
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM

Still think 22 is a bit of a reach for Spencer. It does however only take one club to "fall in love "with him (ie Howard), to inflate his price. There are simply better options with pick 22, if he is available at pick 51, I'd be happy for us to have a go.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Emma Quayle was on SEN going over the draft, - interesting

GWS will choose: (1) Whitfield, (2) Toumpas, (3) Menzel
Grundy will slide as far as Richmond's selection (Pick #9).
Wines at Melbourne at Pick #4.
Menzel is her pick to be the finest player in the draft, has the ability to break games open and turn them on their head, and that will appeal to GWS, especially given their number of picks, they can afford to take a risk given his injuries.

O'Rourke I like because he really wants to come to us. He's made that pretty clear, and after Josh Caddy, GWS will stay away from him I reckon.

wimberga
11-11-2012, 11:45 PM
GD - did EQ go beyond Melbourne and speculate on who we will take?

SlimPickens
11-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Emma Quayle was on SEN going over the draft, - interesting

GWS will choose: (1) Whitfield, (2) Toumpas, (3) Menzel
Grundy will slide as far as Richmond's selection (Pick #9).
Wines at Melbourne at Pick #4.
Menzel is her pick to be the finest player in the draft, has the ability to break games open and turn them on their head, and that will appeal to GWS, especially given their number of picks, they can afford to take a risk given his injuries.

O'Rourke I like because he really wants to come to us. He's made that pretty clear, and after Josh Caddy, GWS will stay away from him I reckon.

Will be very surprised if O'Rourke doesn't go 3

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Either way it appears unlikely we'll be able to pick both O'Rourke and Menzel, which is a bit of a shame.

kruder
12-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Will be very surprised if O'Rourke doesn't go 3

Doubt it. Why would GWS select 3 similar midfielders? The Menzel option sounds more likely as he has a different skill set to the first two.

SlimPickens
12-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Doubt it. Why would GWS select 3 similar midfielders? The Menzel option sounds more likely as he has a different skill set to the first two.

What skill set is that?

Ghost Dog
12-11-2012, 12:50 PM
GD - did EQ go beyond Melbourne and speculate on who we will take?

No I don't think she did in the interview, but I think she wrote a speculative article to that effect. I will try to dig it up Wimberga.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-11-2012, 01:31 PM
If Tippett nominates for the national draft, would GWS use pick 3 to get him?

Of the players we are potentially after i've heard rumours for each of O'Rourke, Stringer and Menzel that GWS will take them with pick 3. I hope none of these eventuate but particulary O'rourke. I think he would complement our midfield nicely and if they take one of Menzel or Stringer then that makes our choice with pick 6 easier to take the one available.

Bulldog4life
12-11-2012, 03:53 PM
the only player I am not so keen on in our discussions is Plowman. Its not that I have anything against him as a player and if we did select him I would back the coach in, but I just think that with those early picks we should be targeting players that can really hurt the opposition around the ground and forward of centre, and therefore should not be selecting a rebounding KPP. I just cant think of a rebounding KPP that i would ever take over a damaging midfielder/forward if I was in the position of allocating a teams early draft picks.

According to a article on the AFL website "Some recruiters think he might end up as an AFL midfielder".

The Pie Man
12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
According to a article on the AFL website "Some recruiters think he might end up as an AFL midfielder".

From the limited vision available on You Tube of Plowman, he reminded me a little of Bob Murphy - he looked a very attacking defender with nice disposal and good speed, & I wouldn't think midfield/forward would be a stretch for him

Wouldn't be unhappy at all if we got him.

wimberga
12-11-2012, 05:12 PM
From the limited vision available on You Tube of Plowman, he reminded me a little of Bob Murphy - he looked a very attacking defender with nice disposal and good speed, & I wouldn't think midfield/forward would be a stretch for him

Wouldn't be unhappy at all if we got him.

Yeah I also would not be unhappy if we do get him as if we do, I am sure its part of a plan that BMAC has. However, if it were me, there are others I would take ahead of him.

I had heard talk htat he could become a good midfielder, but the question would then be "does he/could he do it better than the other guys in the draft who have been playing there for longer?"

stefoid
12-11-2012, 05:53 PM
'Quigley from BF''s assessment of Ororuke, FWIW.

Jonothan O’Rourke
DOB: 21/4/94 Ht: 183 Wt 75

Emma Quayle has O’Rouke in her top 5 and I am not discounting his chances of going there but for me that would be massively overpaying for him. Those rating him at 5 see him as an inside ball winner with great spread and an elite kick. Personally I think he shows great spread but I am not convinced of the other two elements.

I see O’Rourke as an inside receiver who benefited a great deal from the heavy lifting done by the likes of Viney. He is not a very big guy and does not work through the traffic to win the ball himself very much. He does it a bit but it is not a facet of his game which I would consider very strong. When he gets the ball in tight situations he gets flustered and is definitely not one who seems to have that bit of extra time to make decisions. His priority seems to be to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible and hitting targets is an afterthought. He does not ride contact he just rids himself of the ball.

By hand he has pretty quick hands but looks to go backwards a lot or to a player with the opposition sweating on him. His handball style can look pretty awkward at times and the ball hits the ground a lot. In the AFL with players being that much quicker and stronger I have serious concerns about whether O’Rourke’s game will stand up particularly the handball side of it. As it is now he flinches when he hears footsteps and he needs to address that before it becomes too ingrained.

By foot he is better although I still would not put him in the elite category by a long way. His decision making at times leaves quite a bit to be desired and I could see a lot of the kicks he gets away with now being cut out in the AFL. He will pull out a good flat kick every now and then but more often his kicks have a bit too much loop for my liking. I acknowledge that he has an elite DE% but to me that is deceptive. If the ball goes 35m to a contest it is considered effective O’Rourke goes with quite a few of those even when that is not the best option. On shorter kicks his kicks are also just getting there or are getting there on the bounce and these are considered effective where I think they will not end up being effective in the AFL. His set shot is not as accurate as you would like and his goal sense is probably only average for a midfielder.

Once he gets away from the clearance though O’Rourke is a great worker and spreads really well into space. He will link up well and will push himself immediately after making a pass to be available again if needed. He gut runs well and from watching him play I would think he had one of the better tanks in this year’s draft. It is this ability to get into space and provide a link that he will build his AFL career. I see O’Rourke as a Joel Corey / Nigel Lappin type guy who is not really an elite player but at his best could be an important element in a premiership side. Both Corey and Lappin were not the most skillful or the greatest ball winners but they were receivers and provided excellent safety valves.

At the Champs O’Rourke played that similarly link in the chain role receiving the ball from the clearance winners and getting it to the guys who could use it well. He looked for Macrae a great deal when he got the ball and fed him when he possibly could. Viney was the clearance winner and Macrae was the guy who made things happen. O’Rourke showed he could get the ball but too me he looked to lack a bit of class and had significant issues which gave me cause for concern about a transition to the AFL.

stefoid
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
I think Ororuke would be happy to stay in Melbourne rather than come to us specifically. Thats the impression I got.

wimberga
12-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Interesting read stefoid.

do you have links to his analysis on the other players we are looking at? (Stringer, Menzel, Macrae, Mayes, Plowman)

stefoid
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
He has done one on lachie plowman - posts to the brisbane board. Will do a complete writeup closer to the draft I believe. He is not afraid to comment on perceived weaknesses, which i Like. Doesnt mean he is accurate with his predictions, buts its nice hearing a different voice.

Bulldog4life
12-11-2012, 06:41 PM
He has done one on lachie plowman - posts to the brisbane board. Will do a complete writeup closer to the draft I believe. He is not afraid to comment on perceived weaknesses, which i Like. Doesnt mean he is accurate with his predictions, buts its nice hearing a different voice.

Last year he didn't have Clay Smith or Michael Talia in his top 50!

Maddog37
12-11-2012, 06:41 PM
For all the negatives, the strengths described are exactly what we need more strength in. Gut running, spread and speed.

immortalmike
12-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I think Ororuke would be happy to stay in Melbourne rather than come to us specifically. Thats the impression I got.

He specifically named us as his preferred destination twice, despite Melbourne having a pick before us.

GVGjr
12-11-2012, 07:12 PM

If Plowman does develop as a midfielder then I think he will be very much like a David Mundy. I still think he better suited as a defender but he does have that versatility.

Bulldog4life
12-11-2012, 07:19 PM
If Plowman does develop as a midfielder then I think he will be very much like a David Mundy. I still think he better suited as a defender but he does have that versatility.

Do you think we should pick him GVGjr? I suppose also it depends on who is chosen before him.

GVGjr
12-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Do you think we should pick him GVGjr? I suppose also it depends on who is chosen before him.

I still think he is the right sort of player we need to look at. With Morris and Murphy closer to retirement then I'd be keen to try an identify a replacement now. Plowman would be
right in the mix.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Last year he didn't have Clay Smith or Michael Talia in his top 50!

I'll trust the decision our recruiters make

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2012, 10:37 PM
It will be interesting to see what GWS do at pick #3.

It seems increasingly unlikely they will take Grundy, meaning O'Rourke and Menzel are possibly front runners. Plowman's a bit of a roughie, but I think they'll pass and try to pick up Clurey later on.

Not sure taking 3 mids straight off the bat is the best policy for GWS, unless they are anticipating losing a couple (Dyson & WHE) in the near future.

jeemak
13-11-2012, 02:06 AM
I still think he is the right sort of player we need to look at. With Morris and Murphy closer to retirement then I'd be keen to try an identify a replacement now. Plowman would be
right in the mix.

Plowman's clip on youtube is pretty impressive. I've said we need a quality utility to mix up our forward line and midfield, though I think we could easily use one of high quality to play in the backline and through the middle as well.

I don't think we'll take two of Menzel, Plowman and Stringer if available, we'll leave one pick for a midfielder of class.

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 02:29 AM
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/11/10/1226514/336343-jono-o-039-rourke.jpg
O'Rourke reminds me a bit of Dyson Heppell. The way he moves and frame. bit of a gait like Shaggy as well.

E Quayle on Twitter reckons Stringer will slide to as low as 20. such is the concern going around about his leg.

Remi Moses
14-11-2012, 04:59 AM
The Hun reckon GWS are certain to take Plowmann.
Grundy's going to slide and we're going to take Menzel and O'Rourke.

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 06:20 AM

I've been of a view that Plowman is the right sort of player for us however, of GWS have locked him in at pick 3 then I see a lot of value in us landing O'Rourke and Menzel.

DOG GOD
14-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Wouldn't Menzel be more of a risk than Stringer though?

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 06:37 AM

I'm not sure how we could gauge that but if our medical team don't think there is a big issue with Menzels knee he would then be a difficult player to pass on.
Menzel is an exceptional footballer and on ability he is probably the 2nd best player in the draft. While the questions about the LARS still remain it really comes down to if there is an acceptable level of risk. Based on some media reports we think it is.

The Underdog
14-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Look at how Nathan Brown or Dale Morris have come back from similar injuries to Stringer & compare it with the number of guys who come back from knees. Both are risks but I'd be more confident in Menzel personally.

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Look at how Nathan Brown or Dale Morris have come back from similar injuries to Stringer & compare it with the number of guys who come back from knees. Both are risks but I'd be more confident in Menzel personally.

Same here.

LostDoggy
14-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm going to suggest that the experts at the club will cover all bases humanly possible to ensure that we are not wasting a pick on Menzel. You will never be risk free with any player you take but I have faith that we will have done our due dilligence on this given how important it is for us to get this draft right.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Its a tough one isnt it? Stringer or Menzel? I would hate to see the one we don't draft go on and become a star whilst the player we chose continues to have injury problems! Im not saying its our fault or anything, it would just piss me off! I certainly wouldnt be unhappy with either player but hopefully we get lucky with this pick :D All we can do is make the most educated decision at the time and im sure we will do that

Mofra
14-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Nathan Brown and Dale Morris were roughly 10 years and 12 years older than Stringer.

Voss had a similar injury much younger and came back ok. Age is definately an issue here IMO.

The Underdog
14-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Nathan Brown and Dale Morris were roughly 10 years and 12 years older than Stringer.

Voss had a similar injury much younger and came back ok. Age is definately an issue here IMO.

Don't disagree, age & wear and tear on the body is a factor in any injury and recovery. I'm not saying Stringer won't make it either. Just wanted to point out that a really serious break like he suffered can have as long or longer a recovery time and as much chance for long term complications.

LostDoggy
14-11-2012, 12:12 PM

Menzel, O'Rourke and then Mason Shaw would be perfect. Happy to swop in Mayes, McCrae or Kennedy for one of the first two if the club sees it that way. Its going to be a good day draft day.

bulldogsman
14-11-2012, 12:20 PM

It's not only Stringer's leg I'm worried about. I'm not sure Stringer has the aerobic capacity at the next level to play a regular role through the midfield where I think he has the potential to be a superstar there. Up forward I can only see him being a good, solid footballer and certainly not a Pavlich type.
The only big question mark I have over Menzel is his knee. He's got good athleticism and he's shown he's very talented.

So I feel the risk is a lot higher with Stringer and I would be surprised if we chose Stringer above Menzel. I still think there's a chance he may actually be there at pick 21/22.

F'scary
14-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Is part of the attraction to Menzel that he could be the answer to everything on the forward line, especially at full-forward?

Please, don't tell me he is a mid-fielder.

F'scary
14-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Is part of the attraction to Menzel that he could be the answer to everything on the forward line, especially at full-forward?

Please, don't tell me he is a mid-fielder.

Just looked at highlights package on contestedfooty. Looks like a full forward to me.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Just looked at highlights package on contestedfooty. Looks like a full forward to me.

He's meant to be a forward-midfielder. At 187cm he wont be a major contested target but certainly capable of kicking goals

F'scary
14-11-2012, 02:19 PM
He's meant to be a forward-midfielder. At 187cm he wont be a major contested target but certainly capable of kicking goals

Thank you BT&T. I don't know: IMO, 187cm is big enough to be a full forward if he is an excellent mark and excellent at ground level. Obviously, he will need to bulk up. Dunstall is listed as 188cm & 98kg. Ablett snr is listed as 185cm and 97kg. But noting that the game was played differently somewhat back then.

Pedro Sanchez
14-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Here’s an interesting scenario…

Would fans be happy if we picked up both Menzel and Stringer if the latter slipped to our early 20s pick? We could end up with the following:

• Pick 5 – Menzel
• Pick 6 – O’Rourke
• Pick 22 – Stringer

Most posters here are dead against taking both at picks 5 and 6 due to previous injuries… does the game change if Stringer slides like some media are predicting?

F'scary
14-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you BT&T. I don't know: IMO, 187cm is big enough to be a full forward if he is an excellent mark and excellent at ground level. Obviously, he will need to bulk up. Dunstall is listed as 188cm & 98kg. Ablett snr is listed as 185cm and 97kg. But noting that the game was played differently somewhat back then.

Josh Kennedy of WCE (recent nemesis of the Western Bulldogs) is listed as 186cm and 93 kg. So Menzel would definitely have to bulk up but otherwise could be a FF. (I just want to see some key forward position player light at the end of what is at the moment a very dark tunnel - the current crop have either lost all form, have no confidence, can't kick to save themselves, are really ruckmen or never had it to begin with).

stefoid
14-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Ive read some comparisons of Menzel to Steve Johnson, and who wouldnt want to watch that guy playing for your side - cocky little amazingly skilled shit that he is :)

Surely the crows forfeit their pick due to draft tampering, so we have pick 21? Would be a good result if someone highly rated slipped through the cracks due to other clubs needs. My hope is for a Garlett, Kennedy or Simpson type to drop to us. But basically with pick 21 and latter, happy to take best available.

stefoid
14-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Josh Kennedy of WCE (recent nemesis of the Western Bulldogs) is listed as 186cm and 93 kg. So Menzel would definitely have to bulk up but otherwise could be a FF. (I just want to see some key forward position player light at the end of what is at the moment a very dark tunnel - the current crop have either lost all form, have no confidence, can't kick to save themselves, are really ruckmen or never had it to begin with).

Maybe on your planet Josh Kennedy is 186 generic height units, cyberman, but on earth he is 194cm.

Bulldog4life
14-11-2012, 02:43 PM

He is 194cm

Remi Moses
14-11-2012, 02:49 PM

Would fans be happy if we picked up both Menzel and Stringer if the latter slipped to our early 20s pick? We could end up with the following:

• Pick 5 – Menzel
• Pick 6 – O’Rourke
• Pick 22 – Stringer

Most posters here are dead against taking both at picks 5 and 6 due to previous injuries… does the game change if Stringer slides like some media are predicting?

All of a sudden Stringer's fallen off the planet!

The Bulldogs Bite
14-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I think Stringer may slide to either GWS or Collingwood.

F'scary
14-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Maybe on your planet Josh Kennedy is 186 generic height units, cyberman, but on earth he is 194cm.

He is 194cm

I was dudded by your google contraption. But unable to replicate search string that led to dud result.

bornadog
14-11-2012, 03:30 PM
GWS will be picking Plowman according to this article. (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/the-giants-hunch-on-lachie-plowman-could-poise-the-dogs-and-dees-to-cash-in-at-the-draft/story-e6frf9jf-1226516135805)

This leaves the Dees and us to pick up midfielders.

azabob
14-11-2012, 03:30 PM

He is 194cm

I was dudded by your google contraption. But unable to replicate search string that led to dud result.

Perhaps Josh Kennedy of Syndey fame is 186

always right
14-11-2012, 03:47 PM
5. O'Rourke
6. Menzel
22. O'Brien

I'd be happy with this. Even happier if they picked up Spencer White with our next pick.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2012, 03:54 PM

• Pick 5 – Menzel
• Pick 6 – O’Rourke
• Pick 22 – Stringer

I'd be very surprised if Stringer was still there at 21. All of a sudden the Brian Lake trade with swap of picks is sounding better! Pick 21 instead of 26!

The Bulldogs Bite
14-11-2012, 10:18 PM
There is suggestion Toumpas could slide to us.

It would be a massive coup if we landed O'Rourke and Toumpas.

Still, I find it difficult to believe.

Bulldog Revolution
14-11-2012, 10:39 PM

I think its a chance, I've heard Menzel talked about as the second most talented player in this draft, but also some clubs rating Wines at 2 based on their needs.

On a needs basis Toumpas and ORourke suit us well

It all comes down to GWS - realistically, they can afford to wait on Menzel and be patient - unless the Dees dont take Wines but he seemingly fits their needs nicely and with Viney would instantly create the new core around which to build

jazzadogs
14-11-2012, 10:41 PM
As others have mentioned, the player's age is a big consideration, but also the fact that he had LARS surgery as opposed to the traditional ACL repair.

There is still a lack of long-term evidence into LARS, and there is basically an expectation that it will break down in the near future (not immediate, but the odds would favour it happening during his career). If that happened he would need another reconstruction, using either LARS or the traditional method.

Malceski is one who (after another LARS) has come back reasonably strong. Rodan an example where it didn't work so well. I'll certainly be interested to see how it holds up, and what the approach is.

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm going to suggest that the experts at the club will cover all bases humanly possible to ensure that we are not wasting a pick on Menzel. You will never be risk free with any player you take but I have faith that we will have done our due dilligence on this given how important it is for us to get this draft right.

How can you assume that selecting Menzel would be a waste of a draft pick?

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 11:03 PM
5. O'Rourke
6. Menzel
22. O'Brien

I'd be happy with this. Even happier if they picked up Spencer White with our next pick.

This wouldn't be a bad outcome at all.

w3design
14-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Personally I hope GWS relieves us of the To Menzel, or Not to Menzel dilemma.
While there may [ or may not] be a greater likelihood of recovery from ACL than from a compound leg fracture, there is not much doubt as to which is more likely to recur. While you rarely [ and I can't think of one instance] hear of players getting multiple occurrences of compound leg fractures, you regularly see guys repeatedly doing ACL's.
Personally I have had a number of broken, cracked and fractured bones, I have pretty much recovered from them all. My one and only joint injury has never really come good, and decades down the track still causes regular difficulties for me, including subsequent re-operations.

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Seconded PaulV.

Man I feel for the kid. But we are playing catch up after Grant, Howard, Skinner and some other picks that haven't quite come off.
Like to avoid doubling up on Hunter and get someone a bit different.

GVGjr
15-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Personally I hope GWS relieves us of the To Menzel, or Not to Menzel dilemma.
While there may [ or may not] be a greater likelihood of recovery from ACL than from a compound leg fracture, there is not much doubt as to which is more likely to recur. While you rarely [ and I can't think of one instance] hear of players getting multiple occurrences of compound leg fractures, you regularly see guys repeatedly doing ACL's.
Personally I have had a number of broken, cracked and fractured bones, I have pretty much recovered from them all. My one and only joint injury has never really come good, and decades down the track still causes regular difficulties for me, including subsequent re-operations.

I understand this point of view but he is an exceptional talented player and he wouldn't have the level of interest in him if there was an unacceptable level of concern.

stefoid
15-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Having to choose two out of Toumpas, Menzel and ORourke would be a good problem to have, and would severely lessen the sting of losing the race for Martin.

Based on 3rd hand info I have read on footy forums (!) I would go for Toumpas and Menzel I think, just for the sheer class.

bornadog
15-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Based on 3rd hand info I have read on footy forums (!) I would go for Toumpas and Menzel I think, just for the sheer class.

This would be a great outcome, but I doubt Toumpas will last till pick 5.

LostDoggy
15-11-2012, 12:15 PM
How can you assume that selecting Menzel would be a waste of a draft pick?

Well if we pick Menzel and his knee doesn't allow him to be the player we hoped he'd be and a player we could have picked at 6 turns into a gun, it would be deemed a waste of a high pick.

Cyberdoggie
15-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Perhaps a good question to ask is which is the top 10 players we would least likely want to draft that might be available?

Not saying they are bad or we don't won't them, rather looking at it as a needs basis, which are the players we would prefer or least prefer to be available come our picks.

I would of thought Wines as he's similar to what we have already. If GWS and the Dees don't pick him, do we automatically pick him as he's best available? or do we look at someone else?

I can't see us picking Grundy, but i would think that we would love to have O'Rourke, Toumpas, Menzel and maybe Stringer if any were available.

Mofra
15-11-2012, 12:55 PM
If I'm not crazy for being partial to Bate joining the club (if we don't select Membrey who seems to play a similar role), maybe I am crazy for, the more I think of it, wanting Grundy.

Seems like a kid who just needs to be taught to be a genuine star. I would normally say not to choose rucks in the first round and follow the Sydney model, but if he's a once in a decade chance to be a real superstar in the middle he'll improve all of the midfielders around him when he plays which is a rare skill to have.

I'm not going to break out the razor blades if we don't select him, but an awesome athlete who beats his opponents one on one seems to fit the B-Mac mantra and with Cordy & Roughy playing as bookends we have Minson and his prime, Campbell as an honest trier, and that's it for our ruck stocks.

Mofra
15-11-2012, 12:57 PM
I'd be very surprised if Stringer was still there at 21. All of a sudden the Brian Lake trade with swap of picks is sounding better! Pick 21 instead of 26!
The Hun are reporting that Geelong are keen on Stringer at 15 and you'd expect if they pass on him than the Pies, with 3 picks just before ours, would take him.

azabob
15-11-2012, 12:57 PM
I would of thought Wines as he's similar to what we have already. If GWS and the Dees don't pick him, do we automatically pick him as he's best available? or do we look at someone else?

I can't see us picking Grundy, but i would think that we would love to have O'Rourke, Toumpas, Menzel and maybe Stringer if any were available.

I am expecting we will come away with Grundy or Wines plus another player.

I have a feeling Melbourne will pass on Wines and go after pace and skill.

Cyberdoggie
15-11-2012, 06:22 PM
There's a good interview with Stringer on the AFL website.

Jake Stringer (http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/503427/Countdown:%20Jake%20Stringer/)

A very down to earth country boy but i like the way he speaks. He appears very confident, direct, and assured of himself, without being too arrogant.

Doesn't really sound like a kid.

divvydan
15-11-2012, 07:13 PM
As it stands our live picks are 5,6,22,51 and 85 (50 Hunter, 98/105 Rookie Elevations).

With other teams having rookie elevations, it puts that pick 85 closer to pick 75/76.

With the gap between the last and 2nd last picks being so large, there must be a decent chance of holding that one over until the PSD.

chef
15-11-2012, 07:42 PM
I'll be happy with any 2 of Toumpas, Wines, Grundy, O'Rourke, Stringer or Menzel. We really are in an awesome position.

Remi Moses
15-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Just listened to Brett Anderson ( inside football) and Nigel Carmody on SEN.
Couple of points( Dogs have sounded out O'Brien heavily at pick 22)
O'Rourke looks a certainty at 5.
They have stringer going pick 11( massive concern on his running gait)
Menzel's been checked out by each club's doctors!
Brett Anderson has Toumpas possibly sliding:eek: GWS massive on Plowmann( possibly Menzel as well)
Wines a lock to Melb.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Just listened to Brett Anderson ( inside football) and Nigel Carmody on SEN.
Couple of points( Dogs have sounded out O'Brien heavily at pick 22)
O'Rourke looks a certainty at 5.
They have stringer going pick 11( massive concern on his running gait)
Menzel's been checked out by each club's doctors!
Brett Anderson has Toumpas possibly sliding:eek: GWS massive on Plowmann( possibly Menzel as well)
Wines a lock to Melb.

Thanks for sharing Remi.

O'Rourke and Toumpas would be fantastic.

O'Rourke and Menzel would be a great result too, although obviously there's always going to be a degree of concern with Troy's knees.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Sounds very much like o'rourke at 5 and probably plowman or menzel at 6 depending on who gws take at 3. Still thinking toumpas at 2

turtle
15-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I'll be happy with any 2 of Toumpas, Wines, Grundy, O'Rourke, Stringer or Menzel. We really are in an awesome position.

I agree, but this highlights just how massive the handouts to GWS & the suns have been! We are rapt with 2 quality kids. The expansion clubs (assuming they can hang on to most of their kids) will have 10-15 "Absolute A graders" coming through at the same time we would be expecting to make our move. Makes it very very tough for all the other clubs. :mad:

Ghost Dog
16-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Good point Turtle. But I don't think they will be able to keep them all. I have a feeling the AFL has overstretched itself with GWS in particular. Not hearing great things from some young blokes who have moved to GWS, and a bit of a coaching turnover there as well.
You are right though; if we had one single Patton or Scully, we'd be doing cartwheels.

BulldogBelle
16-11-2012, 08:31 PM
As someone posted the success rate of players who were BOG in the TAC Cup is quite high so I like McRae.

Don't know of any other reliable indicators.

Bulldog4life
16-11-2012, 08:40 PM
As someone posted the success rate of players who were BOG in the TAC Cup is quite high so I like McRae.

Don't know of any other reliable indicators.

I read about him initially and he seemed like a popular pick. Seems to have slid in subsequent phantom drafts.

LongWait
16-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I read about him initially and he seemed like a popular pick. Seems to have slid in subsequent phantom drafts.

I've noticed the same B4L. Not sure why.

As Fossie32 points out - it's hard to go past kids that can take a big game like a Grand Final by the scruff of the neck and dominate. God we've lacked for players like that in previous finals campaigns.

Remi Moses
16-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Noticed Quigley on BF had us picking up Jack Frost at 51.
Warning if you read his phantom it's of war and Peace proportions.

Throughandthrough
16-11-2012, 11:49 PM
I only discivered the Footy Nation site a few weeks ago

here's there phantom draft

http://www.footballnation.com.au/latest-news/the-football-nation-2012-afl-mock-draft/

Mofra
17-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Noticed Quigley on BF had us picking up Jack Frost at 51.
Warning if you read his phantom it's of war and Peace proportions.
If Frost could kick he would already be on an AFL list - does everything else very, very well.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2012, 11:04 AM
If I'm not crazy for being partial to Bate joining the club (if we don't select Membrey who seems to play a similar role), maybe I am crazy for, the more I think of it, wanting Grundy.

For some reason, over the last few days I've giving a lot of thought to the merits of us picking up Grundy. He could potentially be an elite ruck/forward and significantly better than what we have on the list at the moment. He should be able to play just about right away and in a couple of years should be capable of holding down a key role either in ruck or forwards.

The concern of course is we have a lot of talls on the list. I can't see us making wholesale changes when we appear quite confident in Campbell, and we'll persist with Roughead and Cordy for a while longer yet.

It could be one we look back on and regret though if Grundy does turn into a generational ruck/forward who can kick 40+ goals a year.

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Grundy's quirky manner would be a hit with the fans but I wouldn't pick him unless we are sure Roughead can only make it as a defender.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Grundy's quirky manner would be a hit with the fans but I wouldn't pick him unless we are sure Roughead can only make it as a defender.

I tend to agree, I still really see Roughead ultimately ending up a ruck/forward and we seem very confident in Campbell's ability to play a similar role. If our guys turn out to be half as good as Grundy though, we've stuffed up.

Maddog37
17-11-2012, 11:26 AM
I think Grundy could be drafted as a forward and move into the Ruck down the track.

Doc26
17-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I tend to agree, I still really see Roughead ultimately ending up a ruck/forward and we seem very confident in Campbell's ability to play a similar role. If our guys turn out to be half as good as Grundy though, we've stuffed up.

Stuffed up ? Not if we gain an elite player at pick 6 (and 5) that turns into something akin to a Pendlebury, StevieJ type. I like Grundy's prospects but would be more chuffed to pick up potential elite outside ball users given our current list of worker bees.

The Coon Dog
17-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Emma Quayle has written an indeoth draft analysis, well worth a read.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/emma-quayles-clubbyclub-guide-to-the-2012-national-draft-20121116-29hnj.html

Go_Dogs
17-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Stuffed up ? Not if we gain an elite player at pick 6 (and 5) that turns into something akin to a Pendlebury, StevieJ type. I like Grundy's prospects but would be more chuffed to pick up potential elite outside ball users given our current list of worker bees.

Fair point, I probably went too far with that comment - and the overwhelming consideration should be how good the players we select end up, but missing on an elite tall when we currently don't have any on the list would really hurt.

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't know. I feel a bit nervous about those who lack the hard yards of Junior footy. This draft is so critical.

azabob
17-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't know. I feel a bit nervous about those who lack the hard yards of Junior footy. This draft is so critical.

Hard yards, as in blokes who haven't played all their lives? late comers to the game?

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Hard yards, as in blokes who haven't played all their lives? late comers to the game?

Yes. Grundy is an amazing athlete but there's an article where it says he has not even been taught how to ruck yet. And people are touting him on the boards as a ruck.
What we need so so badly are skills. Kicking and delivery into the Fwd line. It's so critical.
We have decent backs, grunt in midfield, but our entries are awful. I would welcome him, but it's one of the riskier picks, fine for a club with lots of picks in the top ten. We have two.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Yes. Grundy is an amazing athlete but there's an article where it says he has not even been taught how to ruck yet. And people are touting him on the boards as a ruck.

I'm not convinced about that comment, but given his short time in the game I definitely see he has a lot of scope for continued improvement. The good thing is, even if he hasn't yet had the development he needs, he's pretty handy naturally. His tap work is already a feature of his game and because of his basketball background he has very good hands.

I'd pose a slightly different question, if he can make the transition as well as he has thus far, how high is his ceiling in an AFL environment?

Throughandthrough
17-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Of course he has been coached in rucking. Surely it's a misquote.

Matt Rendell was involved, for one.

Ghost Dog
17-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Numbers add up for Brodie Grundy | News.com.au
www.news.com.au/sport/...grundy/story-fnelctok-1226514310054 6 days ago – "I still haven't had anyone teach me how to ruck," Grundy says. ... But as he progressed through the ranks, Grundy began to question whether ..

Certainly so rare to find such a mobile player, so tall.

I guess it's hard because players of this type are so rare and now it looks like GWS are not interested.

Did he get any goals for Sturt this year Tand T? or every put forward?

Throughandthrough
17-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Off the top of my head, not many at all at Leagye level. Was playing for the bottom team thouh.

Also played reserves and League thru the year.

I've posted this before but his strength is more his speed and agility. Would be one of the quickest big men in the league, and loves to tackle.

I'll try and get his stats.

Throughandthrough
18-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Grundy has played 12 league matches for Sturt over the last two years. He has kicked zero goals and zero points.

KT31
18-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Had a qiuick look this morning and bar the obvious ones that are up to Melbourne and GWS's selections I don't mind the look of Kristian Jaksch.
Not sure he will be available at our pick 22 but he looks like a bloke who is strong, postions himself well, good kick and will kick a lot of goals in the near future.

Ghost Dog
18-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Grundy has played 12 league matches for Sturt over the last two years. He has kicked zero goals and zero points.

Ok got it. Seems to be one bloke you could play all over the ground.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Only two more sleeps to go.

DOG GOD
20-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Only two more sleeps to go.

Bring it on !!!!!!!!

Maybe 2 more sleeps, but that might turn into 100 sleepless nights after that if we stuff this draft up :)

Ghost Dog
20-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Dalrymple's low down on the draft'

'Backing Versatility
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season%202012/tabid/4110/default.aspx

Young defenders in this week’s AFL National Draft will invariably hold many key attributes, but perhaps their versatility is most important.

The ability to nullify more than one type of player, will be an asset most clubs look for when drafting a defender, according to Western Bulldogs Recruiting Manager Simon Dalrymple.

“Good defensive teams obviously rely on the midfield and forwards as well but their back six can play on different types, so that is important,” Dalrymple said.

“Physically is their ability to play on different types of players - what’s their speed like.

“From a mental point of view are they task orientated, are they disciplined to be able to play - you know, if we see them as a shutdown defender - can they stick to a task.

“And then from an attacking defender’s point of view, their ball use, their ability to read the play and very much looking at where the game is going.”

Bulldog4life
21-11-2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/11/06/365428_afl.html

HE is 196cm, weighs 102kg, has run 100m under 11 seconds and has already been drafted once - now North Hobart's Jesse Wells is having a second crack.

Wells, who has just turned 26, was taken pick 22 in the 2004 national draft by the Western Bulldogs but returned to his then home club, Burnie, after two years without a senior game.

Now fully fit and with the Demons' best and fairest for this year to his name, the key defender is aiming to return to the big time. "I haven't spoken to any clubs directly but we've got a few things in the pipeline that I'm not really going to say much about," Wells said.

"I'm not really getting my hopes up but even if I don't get picked up it is going to be good for my footy next year. I've had a few people speak to me and they believe this year is going to be my year if I'm going to be picked up.

"I've done a video and that is doing the [AFL] circles at the moment so who knows?"

Wells said he was a very different player to the one who joined the Bulldogs for the 2005-06 seasons.

"I just think personally I was a little bit immature and guys of my height take a little bit longer to mature playing-wise and I think I've matured more in life in general," he said.

"If I get picked up again, I'm just going to forget about what happened before and just show I'm a new person and look forward to the challenge if I get the opportunity.

"I obviously got some consistency together this year, got my body right and it is amazing what can happen when you get a full season in."

Wells hopes to follow in the footsteps of some other successful mature-age rookies such as Carlton's Nick Duigan and fellow Tasmanian Ian Callinan.

If his name is not called out on November 22, he is unsure what his football future holds, whether it be in Tasmania or interstate.

"I know there are [AFL] clubs whose backlines have been depleted over the last six weeks or so," Wells said.

"They are always looking for guys who have played a fair bit of footy and are a little bit more experienced.

"If it doesn't happen, I'm not really quite sure what I'll do next year.

"I've ruled out Queensland, but maybe a move to Victoria if something pops up my way but I'm not 100 per cent yet."

Anyone interested?

F'scary
21-11-2012, 01:30 PM

"HE is 196cm, weighs 102kg, has run 100m under 11 seconds and has already been drafted once - now North Hobart's Jesse Wells is having a second crack."

Anyone interested?

Goodbye Markovic.

The Underdog
21-11-2012, 02:03 PM
God, I'd love it just for the sheer entertainment on the webs afterward. Come back Jesse.

The Pie Man
21-11-2012, 03:12 PM
god, i'd love it just for the sheer entertainment on the webs afterward. Come back jesse.

:d:d:d:d

The Pie Man
21-11-2012, 03:13 PM
God, I'd love it just for the sheer entertainment on the webs afterward. Come back Jesse.

Too good :D

LostDoggy
21-11-2012, 04:40 PM

HE is 196cm, weighs 102kg, has run 100m under 11 seconds and has already been drafted once - now North Hobart's Jesse Wells is having a second crack.

Wells, who has just turned 26, was taken pick 22 in the 2004 national draft by the Western Bulldogs but returned to his then home club, Burnie, after two years without a senior game.

Now fully fit and with the Demons' best and fairest for this year to his name, the key defender is aiming to return to the big time. "I haven't spoken to any clubs directly but we've got a few things in the pipeline that I'm not really going to say much about," Wells said.

"I'm not really getting my hopes up but even if I don't get picked up it is going to be good for my footy next year. I've had a few people speak to me and they believe this year is going to be my year if I'm going to be picked up.

"I've done a video and that is doing the [AFL] circles at the moment so who knows?"

Wells said he was a very different player to the one who joined the Bulldogs for the 2005-06 seasons.

"I just think personally I was a little bit immature and guys of my height take a little bit longer to mature playing-wise and I think I've matured more in life in general," he said.

"If I get picked up again, I'm just going to forget about what happened before and just show I'm a new person and look forward to the challenge if I get the opportunity.

"I obviously got some consistency together this year, got my body right and it is amazing what can happen when you get a full season in."

Wells hopes to follow in the footsteps of some other successful mature-age rookies such as Carlton's Nick Duigan and fellow Tasmanian Ian Callinan.

If his name is not called out on November 22, he is unsure what his football future holds, whether it be in Tasmania or interstate.

"I know there are [AFL] clubs whose backlines have been depleted over the last six weeks or so," Wells said.

"They are always looking for guys who have played a fair bit of footy and are a little bit more experienced.

"If it doesn't happen, I'm not really quite sure what I'll do next year.

"I've ruled out Queensland, but maybe a move to Victoria if something pops up my way but I'm not 100 per cent yet."

Anyone interested?

Ha Ha, I read this last week!

BornInDroopSt'54
21-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Bring it on !!!!!!!!

Maybe 2 more sleeps, but that might turn into 100 sleepless nights after that if we stuff this draft up :)

Along the lines of "When I die I'm going straight to heaven because I've already served my time in hell in Vietnam", we have had quite a few things not ago our way over several drafts et al so we're due for a good one. Plenty of good sleeps ahead.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Along the lines of "When I die I'm going straight to heaven because I've already served my time in hell in Vietnam", we have had quite a few things not ago our way over several drafts et al so we're due for a good one. Plenty of good sleeps ahead.

I hope you're right. It's gotta turn at some point.....doesn't it?

F'scary
22-11-2012, 02:00 PM

I hope you're right. It's gotta turn at some point.....doesn't it?

The suspenders are killing me.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-11-2012, 05:29 PM
The suspenders are killing me.

Loosen your corset. You can keep your hat on.