PDA

View Full Version : Reports: Malthouse joins the filth ( the other one )

Ghost Dog
07-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Reports: Malthouse accepts Carlton job

Mick Malthouse is reportedly set to become the next coach of Carlton, with the Blues tipped to announce a three-year deal next week.

The Herald Sun claims Malthouse, a three-time premiership coach, has agreed to a deal with Carlton after the Blues made their pitch to the 59-year-old on Monday night.

Speculation had been rife for weeks that Malthouse would coach the Blues in 2013 and only intensified last Thursday when Brett Ratten was shown the door in the wake of the club's disastrous loss to the Gold Coast, the low point of a disappointing campaign.

It was also reported that Malthouse had asked his friend and Richmond premiership team-mate Robert Wiley, who was a runner when he guided West Coast to the flag in 1992 and 1994, to assist him in the role.

Malthouse told Channel 7 on Tuesday that his meeting with the club had went well.

"(The talks) were really promising," he said.

"They were good, they were very honest and I have a clearer picture now of how the inner workings of the football department work at Carlton."

(Inner workings of Carlton FC?,) smooth and low as a snake's belly.

chef
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Great pick up by The Blues. If they can grab Cloke as well they should be pushing top 4 next season.

bornadog
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Demtriou said on 774 this morning its assured as Obama getting the presidential nomination for the Democrats.

Even though I hate Carlton, I admire them for being relentless in pursuing a premiership. Something we need to do better, ie take our chances and get the best help where we can.

Pickenitup
07-09-2012, 06:25 PM
I believe Cloke WILL Be At The Blues Next Year so Top 4 beckons for the Blues

bornadog
07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
I believe Cloke WILL Be At The Blues Next Year so Top 4 beckons for the Blues

Why do you say that? The other day, Collingwood CEO was pretty confident Cloke will stay a Magpie. He said they didn't want to discuss his contract till end of footy season.

Maddog37
07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Forget it....BAD beat me to it.

ledge
07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Thought I read somewhere he wanted to stay at collingwood and the players believe he will

Remi Moses
07-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Great pick up by The Blues. If they can grab Cloke as well they should be pushing top 4 next season.

Not for mine. Not enough depth in the midfield.
New coach doesn't automatically ensure top 4.
Hear their new motto is "I am Collingwood".

Sedat
08-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Not for mine. Not enough depth in the midfield.
Agreed. They were just as bullish when they lured Pagan across from Norf and didn't that turn out just swell. Carlton have structural holes on their list that won't be addressed overnight. They are finals material but not the pointy end.

Greystache
08-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Agreed. They were just as bullish when they lured Pagan across from Norf and didn't that turn out just swell. Carlton have structural holes on their list that won't be addressed overnight. They are finals material but not the pointy end.

But unlike when they poached Pagan they aren't frozen out of the draft, if they have holes (which they do) this time they can at least draft or trade for top ups.

LostDoggy
08-09-2012, 09:26 AM
not for mine. Not enough depth in the midfield.
hear their new motto is "i am collingwood".

rofl

ledge
08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
I heard the other day their would be more resignations at the top at Carlton anyone else got any light on this? Seems the club is always in strife every few years.
Apparently an arrogant culture is the problem.

Rance Fan
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Top 8 at best for blues

jeemak
11-09-2012, 11:13 PM
But unlike when they poached Pagan they aren't frozen out of the draft, if they have holes (which they do) this time they can at least draft or trade for top ups.

Just like everyone else, in order to get reasonable players via a trade, or extra draft picks via a trade they have to give something up. I'd be surprised if they are prepared to dish off first round picks beyond this year (in the hunt for Cloke) as that's how mid tier teams wreck their lists long term.

For mine it will be interesting to see how their second and third tier players develop under Malthouse. I have my suspicions they're not good enough to take the steps required to make Carlton a realistic chance of a premiership, but happy to reserve judgement until the second half of next year, and throughout 2014.

Sockeye Salmon
12-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Just like everyone else, in order to get reasonable players via a trade, or extra draft picks via a trade they have to give something up. I'd be surprised if they are prepared to dish off first round picks beyond this year (in the hunt for Cloke) as that's how mid tier teams wreck their lists long term.

For mine it will be interesting to see how their second and third tier players develop under Malthouse. I have my suspicions they're not good enough to take the steps required to make Carlton a realistic chance of a premiership, but happy to reserve judgement until the second half of next year, and throughout 2014.

Cloke is a free agent, he won't cost them anything

Remi Moses
12-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Funny how some assistants have got the bullet before Mick was appointed.
( allegedly appointed):rolleyes:

bornadog
12-09-2012, 09:43 AM

We call Collingwood the filth, but its more a standing joke to hate Collingwood. Carlton are the real deal (filth).

jeemak
12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Cloke is a free agent, he won't cost them anything

Forgot that.

Eastdog
12-09-2012, 09:59 AM
We call Collingwood the filth, but its more a standing joke to hate Collingwood. Carlton are the real deal (filth).

It is always good beating both Carlton and Collingwood.

KT31
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
It is always good beating both Carlton and Collingwood.

Always good beating any team.

Eastdog
12-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Always good beating any team.

For sure. Something that we haven't done in a while. Do you reckon Malthouse could win Carlton a premiership?

Sedat
12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Do you reckon Malthouse could win Carlton a premiership?
He simply has to, otherwise this will be a failed appointment.

Eastdog
12-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Do you think if Carlton don't finish top 4 next season it would be a failure.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-09-2012, 04:10 PM

Certainly, on what it is costing them you would think so with a one million dollar payout for Ratten plus 3 assistant coaches and another one million for Malthouse's salary. Then again it does help to have pokies king Bruce Matheson and Jeanie Pratt in your corner.

Ghost Dog
12-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Certainly, on what it is costing them you would think so with a one million dollar payout for Ratten plus 3 assistant coaches and another one million for Malthouse's salary. Then again it does help to have pokies king Bruce Matheson and Jeanie Pratt in your corner.

I know you are having a laugh. But your post actually makes a very good point about the role of pokies in funding AFL clubs.
Thanks Nuggety! you inspired a new thread!

chef
12-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Isn't that the same with every appointment.

Sedat
12-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Absolutely. They have paid out hundreds of thousands to ex. coaches, not to mention paying a very big salary to Malthouse and giving him carte blanche to select his assistants. Their list should really be in contention mode right now and haven't even made a PF as yet. Results need to be immediate while Judd is still at or near his peak. I can see Malthouse betting the farm on a flag in the next couple of years, addressing their structural holes in the short term via free agency, so if they don't win a flag Malthouse will have underachieved.

bornadog
12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Absolutely. They have paid out hundreds of thousands to ex. coaches, not to mention paying a very big salary to Malthouse and giving him carte blanche to select his assistants. Their list should really be in contention mode right now and haven't even made a PF as yet. Results need to be immediate while Judd is still at or near his peak. I can see Malthouse betting the farm on a flag in the next couple of years, addressing their structural holes in the short term via free agency, so if they don't win a flag Malthouse will have underachieved.

The AFL should deduct these payouts from any financial assistance given to them.

Sedat
12-09-2012, 06:22 PM
The AFL should deduct these payouts from any financial assistance given to them.
Essendon did the same thing - I think Knights has only just stopped being paid out by the Bombers. They'll argue that greatly increased memberships more than made up for the increased cost in coaching overheads, and Carlton will argue the same if their membership spikes up next year.

bornadog
12-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Essendon did the same thing - I think Knights has only just stopped being paid out by the Bombers. They'll argue that greatly increased memberships more than made up for the increased cost in coaching overheads, and Carlton will argue the same if their membership spikes up next year.

Heard Demitriou say this today about Carlton.

AndrewP6
12-09-2012, 07:44 PM

They've denied that happening. Which probably means it either has happened or will happen soon.

ledge
12-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Most coaches bring in their own assistants don't they, wouldn't think that's strange at all