PDA

View Full Version : John McCarthy found dead

Mantis
10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Rumour going around that an AFL player (from an interstate club) has fallen off a balcony in Las Vegas and has died... Anyone else heard this?

Doc26
10-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Rumour going around that an AFL player (from an interstate club) has fallen off a balcony in Las Vegas and has died... Anyone else heard this?

Yes. Rumour has it that it is John McCarthy from Port and at this stage only rumour.

angelopetraglia
10-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Report in the Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-sportsman-in-serious-incident-in-las-vegas/story-e6frf7jo-1226470914423

OLD SCRAGGer
10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh my god, IF this is true, That is so sad and so very tragic :(

Mofra
10-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Marks Stevens has tweeted it - Bulldogs & Melbourne also heading over as well for their end of season trip, there will be some worried mums out there

Eastdog
10-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Very Sad News. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

Ghost Dog
10-09-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-footballer-killed-in-las-vegas-20120910-25nmy.html

Sad news today.

Rumour has it - John McCarthy. Unconfirmed

mjp
10-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Terrible news. So sorry for his family.

The Pie Man
10-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Horrendous - so sorry for family and everyone close to him.

Remi Moses
10-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Marks Stevens has tweeted it - Bulldogs & Melbourne also heading over as well for their end of season trip, there will be some worried mums out there

Sad tragic news for Mccarthy's family.
In the modern football world can't work out why the "Footy Trip" hasn't gone the way of the dodo bird.

LostDoggy
10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Poor fella.

There's a social media shitstorm developing over naming him before the family knew. Whilst I agree it's preferable for them to be informed another way, I doubt they're really going to care about how they find out. The real issue is he's gone. The media can be pretty bad, but so can those who make a mountain out of a molehill about it.

Maddog37
10-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Shocking news. So hard on his family and the media circus will just make it worse. Poor buggers.

LostDoggy
10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
It's a shame people in the media feel the need to leak the name to be 'first' when family are yet to be notified.

Imagine logging onto the internet and seeing your sons name and finding out like that.

Horrible news, RIP.

soupman
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Poor fella.

There's a social media shitstorm developing over naming him before the family knew. Whilst I agree it's preferable for them to be informed another way, I doubt they're really going to care about how they find out. The real issue is he's gone. The media can be pretty bad, but so can those who make a mountain out of a molehill about it.

I disagree. It is a very selfish approach to be caught in the rush to be the first when the information is being withheld for a reason.

Greystache
10-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Sad tragic news for Mccarthy's family.
In the modern football world can't work out why the "Footy Trip" hasn't gone the way of the dodo bird.

There was only 7 players there on a holiday. The only thing that makes it a "Footy Trip" is that the people on the holiday played football.

This is the sort of thing I'm expecting to hear from Caroline Wilson in the coming days.

westdog54
10-09-2012, 03:06 PM
There was only 7 players there on a holiday. The only thing that makes it a "Footy Trip" is that the people on the holiday played football.

This is the sort of thing I'm expecting to hear from Caroline Wilson in the coming days.

The dogs didn't have an entire squad 'footy trip' either.

Terrible news, absolute tragedy.

I'd hate to log on to twitter and read that a family member is dead.

Doc26
10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
It's a shame people in the media feel the need to leak the name to be 'first' when family are yet to be notified.

Imagine logging onto the internet and seeing your sons name and finding out like that.

I'd hate to log on to twitter and read that a family member is dead

I take your points although as a parent, knowing that my son was travelling to Vegas with 6 of his Port mates, I would equally if not moreso hate to pull up any of the major tabloids to read that an as yet unnamed Port player has died in Vegas. How awful would that be for the 7 potentially effected families that lay in wait for word that it may or may not be their son.
If the story is out there, vagueness, although appreciating the sentiment, can be as equally damaging.

bulldogsman
10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
So sad. Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends

LostDoggy
10-09-2012, 03:31 PM
This has really rocked me. Had a work colleague ask me if the player was any good. I was not happy at all and said what does it matter? the poor guy has lost his life.

EasternWest
10-09-2012, 03:36 PM
The dogs didn't have an entire squad 'footy trip' either.

Terrible news, absolute tragedy.

I'd hate to log on to twitter and read that a family member is dead.

Terrible news and shameful behaviour from those that wanted the scoop.

Some things should always be off limits.

Sad stuff for his family, friends and team.

bornadog
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I take your points although as a parent, knowing that my son was travelling to Vegas with 6 of his Port mates, I would equally if not moreso hate to pull up any of the major tabloids to read that an as yet unnamed Port player has died in Vegas. How awful would that be for the 7 potentially effected families that lay in wait for word that it may or may not be their son.
If the story is out there, vagueness, although appreciating the sentiment, can be as equally damaging.

I would hope that each of the sons would contact their parents to say they are safe and that their mate died, before the media got hold of it.

In any case, how does the media find out before the parents anyway? Unless the parents are away in some remote place with no phone or contact.

Either way, no one should publish anything until its official.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow.

Terrible news, what a tragedy.

Really feel for his family and friends.

LostDoggy
10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
So sad to hear about the death of this young man. I think of his poor family, reeling from the shock in stunned disbelief and no doubt having to field media enquiries. Horrible. So young and his birthday only a few weeks away.

LostDoggy
10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Horrible horrible news. Feel for the Port Club and his family.

Why?

The Underdog
10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Just awful, awful news. Feel awful for all family, friends and supporters.

bornadog
10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Port have now confirmed it was John McCarthy.

10 players in Vegas. McCarthy fell from balcony of a hotel, but not the one they were staying at.

Shocking news for such a young person.

immortalmike
10-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Port have now confirmed it was John McCarthy.

10 players in Vegas. McCarthy fell from balcony of a hotel, but not the one they were staying at.

Shocking news for such a young person.

Horrible news and I send my condolences to all his family and friends. This sort of thing goes far beyound football and it's just very sad to hear of a young life ending that way.
But in saying that I'm at a loss to figure out how something like what's highlighted happens, just how?

Sedat
10-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Horrible news and I send my condolences to all his family and friends. This sort of thing goes far beyound football and it's just very sad to hear of a young life ending that way.
But in saying that I'm at a loss to figure out how something like what's highlighted happens, just how?
I echo yours and other poster's sentiments. Just an awful tragedy, and my deepest condolances go out to his family, girlfriend, close friends and teammates, and the Port Adelaide footy club.

I don't think it serves any purpose to speak about how such an occurance took place (not that you did, theimmortalmike). Tragedies happen in the blink of an eye and strike when least expected. Any discussion on what 'might' have taken place really is for the grubbier elemets of the tabloids to trawl through. Right now, a fit and healthy 22yo who was living the dream with his close mates has had his life cut tragically short, and we as a society should respect and reflect in equal measure.

immortalmike
10-09-2012, 06:41 PM
You're probably right Sedat mate. I guess I'm just speaking to my disbelief that something like this can happen and especially to a 22 year old footballer at the peak of fitness and life. You see these guys on television as larger than life warriors and for one to pass away in such a way it throws that into contrast moreso than what happened to someone like Stynes or Broadbridge. Sort of reminds you of some of the things that have almost happened in our own lives.

Ghost Dog
10-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I echo yours and other poster's sentiments. Just an awful tragedy, and my deepest condolances go out to his family, girlfriend, close friends and teammates, and the Port Adelaide footy club.

I don't think it serves any purpose to speak about how such an occurance took place (not that you did, theimmortalmike). Tragedies happen in the blink of an eye and strike when least expected. Any discussion on what 'might' have taken place really is for the grubbier elemets of the tabloids to trawl through. Right now, a fit and healthy 22yo who was living the dream with his close mates has had his life cut tragically short, and we as a society should respect and reflect in equal measure.

Condolences to the Port Footy club, the player's family and friends. just 22. I traveled when I was about the same age, many things could have and almost happened. They say that most accidents happen near the base camp and not the summit of the mountain, as people are relaxed and more carefree. How cruel that is. A slight error; now his family have to live with it for ever. What a tradgedy, and puts many things into perspective. Agree Mike, makes you take a moment to go out and appreciate the sky, your body, and what you have.

LostDoggy
10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Extremely sad news, condolences to pafc and his family.Seemed like a good player with a bright future, such a shame. R.I.P. John

Pickenitup
10-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Rip jmac

AndrewP6
10-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Terrible, terrible tragedy. Just sickened me when I read of it earlier today.

DOG GOD
10-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Terrible news..my thoughts to his family and team mates. RIP

Remi Moses
10-09-2012, 08:12 PM

You're probably right, but clubs will get nervous when a bunch of footballers holiday together.

Max469
10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Condolences to Johns family, friends and team mates

Remi Moses
10-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Horrible horrible news. Feel for the Port Club and his family.

Why?

A group of 20 something's ( living a regimated life) in a group.
Clubs invest heavily now and like it or not the old footy trip is a thing of the past.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Pretty hard to get my head around this, I don't know thw guy, but this is just such an incredible tragedy. Words don't do it justice.

jeemak
10-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Horrible news, and my condolences go to his family and all that were close to him.

I'm hopeful the coverage is tactful, and that no media outlets or personalities will attempt to raise their profile or profit from this tragedy.

Ghost Dog
11-09-2012, 09:30 AM
"An-off duty policeman hired by the Western Bulldogs player (sic) for their end of season trip to Las Vegas has begun working with US authorities and Port Adelaide at the start of an investigation which police estimate could take up to eight weeks."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tragic-accident-casts-a-pall-over-the-game-20120910-25oha.html#ixzz266o8ldMV

KT31
11-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Horrible news, and my condolences go to his family and all that were close to him.

I'm hopeful the coverage is tactful, and that no media outlets or personalities will attempt to raise their profile or profit from this tragedy.

I to hope the press show some signs of decorum and respect , unfortunately there is always going to be a reporter who want's to make a headline.

Condolences to all his family, friends and teammates.(past and present)

Daughter of the West
11-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Horrible, horrible stuff. You don't expect that your son/brother/boyfriend/friend will go on a holiday and never come back again. Condolences to all his family and friends.

Eastdog
11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
I would say after this shocking incident that our club will call off the trip to Las Vegas as I believe Essendon have as well.

Go_Dogs
11-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Was very sad to hear this, shocking news. Thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

bornadog
11-09-2012, 02:03 PM
I would say after this shocking incident that our club will call off the trip to Las Vegas as I believe Essendon have as well.

Doggies players already there and met up with the Port Players:

Chaperon police officer to play vital role in investigation as Dogs players on hand for support (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/chaperon-police-officer-to-play-vital-role-in-investigation-as-dogs-players-on-hand-for-support/story-e6frf9jf-1226471379527)

A VICTORIAN police officer used by Western Bulldogs players as their chaperon in Las Vegas will form a vital part of the investigation into John McCarthy's death.

Bulldogs match-day runner Stuart Bailey joined a dozen Dogs on their trip to Las Vegas, which intersected with the shock death of the Port Adelaide midfielder.

He is being used as a conduit between Victoria Police and its US counterparts, with Australia's Federal Police also involved in the investigation.

The Bulldogs players - including leaders Robert Murphy, Matthew Boyd and Daniel Cross - were scheduled to leave Las Vegas in the next 48 hours.

Bailey had his trip funded by the players, keen to ensure their low-key trip to the gambling mecca went off without controversy.

A group of under-21 Bulldogs had decided at the last minute not to travel to Las Vegas, given the legal drinking age in Nevada would prevent them from entering bars and nightclubs.

Dogs players had mingled with the Port Adelaide group, with some of them believed to have been at the same nightclub on Saturday night.

But not all players could gain entry to the club, which meant few players were aware McCarthy had left by himself.

Port Adelaide players were unaware McCarthy was missing until they were contacted by Power officials the next morning.

Bulldogs forward Jarrad Grant, a former Dandenong Stingrays teammate, was a close friend of McCarthy.

The clubs were involved in a heated sledging controversy involving Dogs ruckman Will Minson and Port midfielder Danyle Pearce this year, but the Bulldogs are believed to have helped counsel Port players.

Bulldogs officials frown on mass-scale football trips, especially after negative publicity flowed from a trip to Hong Kong in 2010.

But the presence of responsible leaders such as Murphy, Boyd and Cross placated the club.

KT31
11-09-2012, 02:13 PM

As mentioned in a previous post Dogs already there.
Not sure why unless they are worried about the boy's playing up.
Its not where they go, but what they do when they get there that matters.
Also should mention great initiative and management from the Dogs to send a chaperone.

Eastdog
11-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks BAD and KT31 for clearing that up. I thought we hadn't gone yet. Didn't see those posts.

LostDoggy
11-09-2012, 07:43 PM
The news footage on tonight's news with the interview with Boyd looked like they where all (I saw Murph and Grant) getting on a plane. Can't imagine it would be much fun staying under the circumstances.

AndrewP6
11-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Also should mention great initiative and management from the Dogs to send a chaperone.

I think it's shocking that the club feels the players need a chaperone. Or, shocking that the players can't be trusted.

Maddog37
11-09-2012, 08:22 PM
The club is just protecting their investment.

Greystache
11-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I think it's shocking that the club feels the players need a chaperone. Or, shocking that the players can't be trusted.

The players paid for him themselves.

AndrewP6
11-09-2012, 08:30 PM
The players paid for him themselves.

Wow. Their opinion of themselves must really be bad. I just can't fathom myself going away on a trip and saying "Hang on fellas, we better get someone to go with us"

azabob
11-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow. Their opinion of themselves must really be bad. I just can't fathom myself going away on a trip and saying "Hang on fellas, we better get someone to go with us"

I agree it's a bit bizarre.

Scraggers
11-09-2012, 08:42 PM

Do you not remember the YouTube footage of Hong Kong ... Esky lid surfing and doing the worm over some random's car !! It's not that much of a stretch to think a chaperone is required !!

The Underdog
11-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Perhaps its less to protect them from themselves than to protect them from others, particularly those with cameras. Or an extension of the look after your mates theory.

AndrewP6
11-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you not remember the YouTube footage of Hong Kong ... Esky lid surfing and doing the worm over some random's car !! It's not that much of a stretch to think a chaperone is required !!

But to think they paid for it themselves? Very weird IMO

Greystache
11-09-2012, 08:52 PM

That's some conclusion to draw. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?

Having to deal with bogans who are filled to the gills with who knows what that happen to recognise a group of 10 footballers in a place where law and order can be pretty hardline sounds like a pain in the arse.

Chipping in a few bucks to get a mate (the clubs runner) who knows his way around to join you on a holiday doesn't seem a big deal to me to avoid any potential hassles.

AndrewP6
11-09-2012, 08:57 PM
That's some conclusion to draw. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?

Having to deal with bogans who are filled to the gills with who knows what that happen to recognise a group of 10 footballers in a place where law and order can be pretty hardline sounds like a pain in the arse.

Chipping in a few bucks to get a mate (the clubs runner) who knows his way around to join you on a holiday doesn't seem a big deal to me to avoid any potential hassles.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. I'd be embarrassed to have to do that.

And no, I haven't been to Vegas, but I've been on plenty of sports trips (and some questionable places!) and never once felt that I needed a paid chaperone.

Greystache
11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Fair enough, agree to disagree. I'd be embarrassed to have to do that.

And no, I haven't been to Vegas, but I've been on plenty of sports trips (and some questionable places!) and never once felt that I needed a paid chaperone.

Yep fair enough.

I've traveled most of the world over the years, and from experience going somewhere with a mate that knows their way around makes for a far more enjoyable trip, especially if it's a short one. If it was a complete stranger I'd agree it would be weird.

Ps Vegas is great fun but gee there is a disproportionately large number of dickheads there.

Sedat
11-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Ps Vegas is great fun but gee there is a disproportionately large number of dickheads there.
Never a truer word spoken. It's like a theme park for adults.

LostDoggy
11-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I've been to Vegas in the last year or so and it has it's fair share of lunatics offering you all kinds of stuff. Not saying that the players would indulge in illegal activities but having a cop with the group is probably a good plan. Buddy system if you like...