PDA

View Full Version : Brownlow Medal 2012

jazzadogs
17-09-2012, 03:10 PM
With the Brownlow Medal only one week away, I thought we could start some Brownlow predictions.

Mine? 1) Watson 2) Ablett, Swan.

More interesting for me is the team markets offered by betting sites.

Lions: Rockliff (1.66) v Redden ($2.85). This would be a close one IMO.

Giants: Greene (1.80) v Giles (3.60) v Ward ($4.00). This one surprises me, as I thought Ward had a pretty good year. Maybe I was just concentrating on him?

Carlton: Murphy (1.30) v Judd (3.75)

Eagles is the hardest one to pick. Scott Selwood $2.30 favourite.

Tigers: Cotch (1.10) v Deledio (4.00). Lids is good value, Cotchin should definitely be favourite though.

Bulldogs: Boyd (1.11) v Griffen (5.00). Griff had a great year, but past evidence would suggest that Boyd will poll well.

One of my mates had a multi on a few years ago and won over $30 000 so I've taken a lot more interest in the markets since then!

Topdog
17-09-2012, 04:43 PM
since then you can't multi :(

jazzadogs
17-09-2012, 04:55 PM
since then you can't multi :(
They've just capped it. Maximum 5 per multi with Sportsbet. I think TAB is the only one that's completely removed it.

SlimPickens
17-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Really like Mitchell at around $13.

Also backed J.Kennedy at $81 at the start of the year so hoping he can poll well obviously.

LostDoggy
17-09-2012, 06:02 PM
According to my count.

1st Ablett, 2nd Watson 3rd S.Thompson

Giles to win GWS at $3.60 is massive value. Will get atleast 2 votes in both GWS's wins. Which would just about be enough to win it.

I have Boyd polling 24 votes, which will put him in the top 5 IMO. $10 for top 5 is value.

Cotchin is far too short. Don't be suprised if Tuck wins the Richmond most votes either.

St Kilda most team votes is interesting, hayes a clear favourite, but i have Dal Santo ahead of him by 1vote.

Also Jack Grimes for Melbourne is $15.00 to win Melbourne's. I have him and Jones (who is very short) to tie.

Alot of people including myself cleaned up 2 years ago on the Brownlow, since then they have tightened it right up.

Can't see Ablett losing this year.

Ablett with Watson/Thompson quinella's is what i'm having a crack at.

bornadog
17-09-2012, 06:20 PM
I think Dangerfield will POll well.

Maddog37
17-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I think Cox will go ok.

DOG GOD
18-09-2012, 07:09 PM
If Ablett wins it with his team only winning 3 games (9 votes) the whole thing is a farce as far as I'm concerned. He would have to poll around 20 votes in losing sides.

Eastdog
18-09-2012, 08:07 PM
If Ablett wins it with his team only winning 3 games (9 votes) the whole thing is a farce as far as I'm concerned. He would have to poll around 20 votes in losing sides.

A lot of people questioned it after Chris Judd won the Brownlow in 2010. Clearly he wasn't the best player that year.

bornadog
19-09-2012, 12:18 AM

Why? The Brownlow is an individual award, whether a team wins or loses then it shouldn't matter. Unfortunately that's not how the umpires see it and they usually give the 3 votes to the team that wins.

Two good examples:

The great Templeton won the Brownlow in one of our worse years.

Chris Grant missed out on equal winner in 1996 when Hird got the three and Chris the 2 after Essendon kicked the winning goal in the dying seconds.

So which one is correct?

LostDoggy
19-09-2012, 07:32 AM

It already is mate. Gone are the days where anyone but a midfielder will win it. As for Ablett didn't he get up there with the leaders last year???

Just some trivia, does any body know when or if a dedicated Backman has ever won the award? I know Wanganeen won it as a "running out of defence" player, but has a "big man" type Backman ever won?

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2012, 09:13 AM
It already is mate. Gone are the days where anyone but a midfielder will win it. As for Ablett didn't he get up there with the leaders last year???

Just some trivia, does any body know when or if a dedicated Backman has ever won the award? I know Wanganeen won it as a "running out of defence" player, but has a "big man" type Backman ever won?

Freddie Goldsmith of South Melbourne in the 50's

bornadog
19-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Brad Hardie, played back pocket the whole of 1985.

LostDoggy
19-09-2012, 09:56 AM

Gordon Collis - CHB
John James was a HBF but not big
Bert Deacon - CHB

All from the filth - the other one :D

LostDoggy
19-09-2012, 10:48 AM
A lot of people questioned it after Chris Judd won the Brownlow in 2010. Clearly he wasn't the best player that year.

And Cooney wasn't the best player the year he won it either - not that I'll ever complain about a Bulldog winning it after both Chris Grant & Scott West were ripped off on multiple occasions!

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Gordon Collis - CHB
John James was a HBF but not big
Bert Deacon - CHB

All from the filth - the other one :D

Neil Roberts and Verdun Howell were others. The modern game is to a large extent dominated by the midfielders, which is more than likely going that way again in this year's Brownlow Medal count.

Eastdog
19-09-2012, 11:18 AM
And Cooney wasn't the best player the year he won it either - not that I'll ever complain about a Bulldog winning it after both Chris Grant & Scott West were ripped off on multiple occasions!

While Cooney had a good year in 2008 I even think he was surprised he won it. Grant and West were very unlucky in 1997 and 2000.

LostDoggy
19-09-2012, 03:53 PM
While Cooney had a good year in 2008 I even think he was surprised he won it. Grant and West were very unlucky in 1997 and 2000.

Yeah, Granty won it in 1997 but was ineligable & then in 1998 lost by one vote to James Hird. And poor Scott West came third in 1999, second (by two votes) in 2000 and (by three votes) in 2006 and fourth in 2004 and 2005. :(

bornadog
19-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah, Granty won it in 1997 but was ineligable & then in 1998 lost by one vote to James Hird. And poor Scott West came third in 1999, second (by two votes) in 2000 and (by three votes) in 2006 and fourth in 2004 and 2005. :(

1996 he lost to Hird/Voss. Corey Mckernan was also equal first but was suspended during the year.

bornadog
19-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Scotty West should have won the Brownlow in 2000 instead of Shane Woewdin or at least equalled for first.

In the last round Woewdin got 2 votes when he was clearly not even in the bests, he had 17 disposals. Yze kicked 5 goals and had 29 disposals and got the 3, Stephen Powell kicked 2 and had 32 disposals and received one vote. The two votes gave Woewdin 24 votes to West 22.

Correspondingly Westy got 1 vote in the last game.

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Scotty West should have won the Brownlow in 2000 instead of Shane Woewdin or at least equalled for first.

In the last round Woewdin got 2 votes when he was clearly not even in the bests, he had 17 disposals. Yze kicked 5 goals and had 29 disposals and got the 3, Stephen Powell kicked 2 and had 32 disposals and received one vote. The two votes gave Woewdin 24 votes to West 22.

9 Melbourne players polled B & F votes in round 22 and Woewoeful wasn't one of them.

bornadog
19-09-2012, 05:25 PM
9 Melbourne players polled B & F votes in round 22 and Woewoeful wasn't one of them.

Wow, didn't know that.

westdog54
20-09-2012, 08:49 AM

IIRC correctly the West Coast players leaned over and told Westy it was in the bag as he'd played badly that last game.

Cooney got absolutely smashed that night, not expecting to win. His interview speech and made for great television.

Mantis
20-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Cooney got absolutely smashed that night, not expecting to win. His interview speech and made for great television.

Cooney got smashed that day as it was Mad Monday after our Prelim loss.

LostDoggy
20-09-2012, 11:07 AM

I loved his speech. So honest and off the cuff. Made me want burger rings though! :D

Murphy'sLore
20-09-2012, 11:11 AM
That speech was great to watch. I was crying with laughter.

Bulldog4life
21-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Tell that to Bobby Skilton.

KT31
22-09-2012, 01:18 PM

As I have always said to you SS, supporters have a crack at the umpires all season for not having a clue and making the wrong decisions.
Then at the end of the season their opinion is the most revered.:confused:

LostDoggy
23-09-2012, 06:02 PM
All over J.Kennedy tomorrow but do hope Cotchin takes it. Absolute Gun.

LostDoggy
24-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I've been having trouble sleeping, so I'm happy the Brownlow is on tonight. One vote..... 2 votes....... 3 votes........ Zzzzzzzzzzz. :D

mighty_west
24-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Im tipping a tie between Cotchin and Watson, with the two Adelaide lads Dangerfield and Thompson not far behind, Boydy to poll most for us.

KT31
24-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Im tipping if I have a drink everytime Andrew Demetriou mispronounce's name, I will end up very drunk.:D

Eastdog
24-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Ablett off to a good start.

SlimPickens
24-09-2012, 09:40 PM
How a player can get 3 votes in a 90pt loss, is beyond me.

Eastdog
24-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Jobe Watson looking in a very good position now already with 26 votes.

KT31
24-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Jobe Watson looking in a very good position now already with 26 votes.

Should be in the bag now at 30 and only three to go.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Should be in the bag now at 30 and only three to go.

Agreed, don't mind Watson winning.

Can't believe how few votes Kennedy has polled, and if Ablett is polling so many votes playing in a losing side, why hasn't Boydy done similar? Umpires....never get anything right ;)

KT31
24-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Well done to Watson, bet he would swap it though for one of his Dad's flags.
Good to see a bit of justice and Ablett to slip down a bit in the rankings.

jeemak
24-09-2012, 11:58 PM

The media coverage post that win by Cooney was nothing short of disgraceful. Cooney had an outstanding year and dominated games, but all of the coverage was centred around Ablett being hard done by and Cooney proposing with a burger ring.

Ablett was the favourite and played very well, and deserved to win the medal. Though they didn't play in the same team, and played in different games 21 out of 22 weeks.

Scraggers
25-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Only six Western Bulldogs polled votes tonight - the lowest of any club. Even GWS had more. Need to add some depth - and fast. (Tweet from Sam Landsberger)

jeemak
25-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Only six Western Bulldogs polled votes tonight - the lowest of any club. Even GWS had more. Need to add some depth - and fast. (Tweet from Sam Landsberger)

Sam Landsberger should stay off Twitter if he's not able to stop himself from posting about his employer. What a hopelessly unprofessional thing to do.

I work for a very large transport company, that has been in the media quite recently on numerous occasions. If I had a profile within the public domain and was caught out commenting in that way I'd expect to be disciplined.

Eastdog
25-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Well done to Jobe Watson. Well deserved.

Greystache
25-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Sam Landsberger should stay off Twitter if he's not able to stop himself from posting about his employer. What a hopelessly unprofessional thing to do.

I work for a very large transport company, that has been in the media quite recently on numerous occasions. If I had a profile within the public domain and was caught out commenting in that way I'd expect to be disciplined.

I'm confused, Sam Landsberger is a journalist for the Herald-Sun what did he say about them?

AndrewP6
25-09-2012, 02:31 AM

I'm confused, Sam Landsberger is a journalist for the Herald-Sun what did he say about them?

I'm confused too. Jake Landsberger works for the Dogs.

jeemak
25-09-2012, 02:37 AM

I'm confused too. Jake Landsberger works for the Dogs.

Well, it seems I've made a fool of myself.

I tend to do it in more subtle ways than this, on a daily basis, though it seems in this instance I have spectacularly let myself down.

I would like to apologise to Jake Landsberger and the broader Bulldog and Woof community. Please accept this apology with due grace, and sympathy for a simple boofhead.

BulldogBelle
25-09-2012, 02:42 AM

I tend to do it in more subtle ways than this, on a daily basis, though it seems in this instance I have spectacularly let myself down.

I would like to apologise to Jake Landsberger and the broader Bulldog and Woof community. Please accept this apology with due grace, and sympathy for a simple boofhead.

Hah, I've done far worse, I wouldn't worry about it!

I was about to post in agreeance with you. Since when are Brownlow votes the measuring stick for squad depth? Clearly we are going to add some talent at the draft, seeing as we are in a development period. :confused:

It was just a useless sweeping statement, but we're quite accustomed to receiving those.

jeemak
25-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Hah, I've done far worse, I wouldn't worry about it!

I was about to post in agreeance with you. Since when are Brownlow votes the measuring stick for squad depth? Clearly we are going to add some talent at the draft, seeing as we are in a development period. :confused:

It was just a useless sweeping statement, but we're quite accustomed to receiving those.

Thank you for your understanding.

I think it's pretty typical of journo's though, isn't it? Rebuilding in a considered manner will be a jounalists worst nightmare when it comes to a club like the Bulldogs. The expectation is we'll go to the trade table and try to bring players in (whilst potentially off loading some talent), and create a story to write about how we're accelerating our premiership chances.

It's going to be a very boring preseason at Whitten Oval media wise if Bmac has his way.

Eastdog
25-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Thank you for your understanding.

I think it's pretty typical of journo's though, isn't it? Rebuilding in a considered manner will be a jounalists worst nightmare when it comes to a club like the Bulldogs. The expectation is we'll go to the trade table and try to bring players in (whilst potentially off loading some talent), and create a story to write about how we're accelerating our premiership chances.

It's going to be a very boring preseason at Whitten Oval media wise if Bmac has his way.

Bmac has said he'll focus more on the draft rather than us being active in the trade period.

Maddog37
25-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Win games and you get votes. No great mystery.

Mantis
25-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Win games and you get votes. No great mystery.

G.Ablett rule?

Eastdog
25-09-2012, 12:01 PM
G.Ablett rule?

True. Gold Coast were awful this season and Ablett still got 24 votes.

LostDoggy
25-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Can't believe people are quesioning Ablett's votes.

He had a fantastic year and last time i checked the brownlow is an individual award, not a team one.

If Ablett was the best player on the ground in 80 point losses, then so be it. He gets the 3 votes. Pretty simple really.

The reason no other players poll in losing teams like Ablett, is because none of them are anywhere near Abletts qaulity.

Eastdog
25-09-2012, 12:23 PM

He had a fantastic year and last time i checked the brownlow is an individual award, not a team one.

If Ablett was the best player on the ground in 80 point losses, then so be it. He gets the 3 votes. Pretty simple really.

The reason no other players poll in losing teams like Ablett, is because none of them are anywhere near Abletts qaulity.

Ablett clearly in a weak side was the best player and therefore will get all the votes and none taken off him as no one even gets close to him in the Gold Coast team.

Mantis
25-09-2012, 01:49 PM

But is it that simple?

History shows that over the past 15 years or so that 92% of the 3 votes goes to players on the winning team.

Yep Ablett is a gun, but one would hope that the player who gets 3 votes is the one who has the biggest influence on the game and when your team loses by 15 goals that influence must be minimal.

AndrewP6
25-09-2012, 03:38 PM

Hahaha.... my approach in this instance, following the lead of the kids I teach, is to stubbornly refuse to concede that I'm wrong. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence, I'm always right :D

Topdog
25-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Ablett clearly in a weak side was the best player and therefore will get all the votes and none taken off him as no one even gets close to him in the Gold Coast team.

Well he lost the Brownlow because players took votes off him in their 2 wins