PDA

View Full Version : Koby Stevens

Pages : 1 [2]

Dancin' Douggy
01-09-2014, 08:58 AM
You're never gonna have a team full of number one picks, so every team has to accept that some of their players will have flaws in their game. For the positives Koby brings to the game, he's worth having. The crash and bash style. The energy and enthusiasm for the contest, and his ability to kick goals when they're needed are great attributes.

It's his disposal over short distances that let's him down. Sometimes it's bad decision making, sometimes it's bad execution. I really hope he can improve this aspect of his game. Because everything else he does is pretty good. If he could sharpen up in this area he goes from fringe best 22 to a certain starter every week. I'm glad we re-signed him.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Positive bent, question. Could we make a tagger/defensive forward out of him?

I really liked Wally's game tonight and it's hard exactly to see where Kobes knocks someone out of the team (without injuries). Right now I'm thinking it could be Pickens position. They're both tough, hard at it, good tanks but some limitations with regard to disposal. Should Kobes be given the task of dethroning Picken? It's a big job, but with Jong stepping up so far, Libba (2016), Smith & Hrovat to come in with more legitimate claims to the midfield and looking at the balance tonight do we go down this path. For example, could Kobes have shut down Hurn the way he currently plays? I think Bevo got the right balance of types of players, so I'm not sure we should be tinkering too much, too soon.

stefoid
04-04-2015, 11:25 PM

I really liked Wally's game tonight and it's hard exactly to see where Kobes knocks someone out of the team (without injuries). Right now I'm thinking it could be Pickens position. They're both tough, hard at it, good tanks but some limitations with regard to disposal. Should Kobes be given the task of dethroning Picken? It's a big job, but with Jong stepping up so far, Libba (2016), Smith & Hrovat to come in with more legitimate claims to the midfield and looking at the balance tonight do we go down this path. For example, could Kobes have shut down Hurn the way he currently plays? I think Bevo got the right balance of types of players, so I'm not sure we should be tinkering too much, too soon.

Picken so versatile though, and so predictable in his output. Coaches like that.

boydogs
05-04-2015, 12:17 AM

You want to drop Picken? Stevens could come in for Goodes or Honeychurch without a role change

jeemak
05-04-2015, 03:42 AM
Koby's never going to be a tagger. His career to this point has been too proactive for that.

He'll be in the side within no time, we need his hard body around the ball. Tonight's effort will be too hard to sustain without him, let alone with him after a good month or so of regular season footy.

Hot_Doggies
05-04-2015, 06:27 AM
Koby's never going to be a tagger. His career to this point has been too proactive for that.

He'll be in the side within no time, we need his hard body around the ball. Tonight's effort will be too hard to sustain without him, let alone with him after a good month or so of regular season footy.

Maybe not as quick as you think. The focus this year on skill and decision making might hold Koby back

bulldogtragic
05-04-2015, 08:15 AM
You want to drop Picken? Stevens could come in for Goodes or Honeychurch without a role change

No, didn't say drop him at all. I'm asking whether we change his role with a view lng term to an ageing Picken. For this year, have him play the role in the VFL and see if his form knocks Picken out. Also, Hrovat is the Honey replacement and a Darley/Biggs/recruit is the Goodes one (half backers). I'm just wondering if he could do the job, could he have shut Hurn down last night for instance?

Go_Dogs
05-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Despite being much-maligned, his disposal has improved a lot, he runs hard, he can mark and kick goals. He'll be back shortly, playing versatile roles as match ups dictate.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Despite being much-maligned, his disposal has improved a lot, he runs hard, he can mark and kick goals. He'll be back shortly, playing versatile roles as match ups dictate.

Those are also exactly the virtues of a very good defensive forward and tagger. Tyson Goldsack for instance. The position isn't punishment, and requires a good player.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Those are also exactly the virtues of a very good defensive forward and tagger. Tyson Goldsack for instance. The position isn't punishment, and requires a good player.

I'm sure he'll do roles there, and roles through the middle too, both attacking and defensive.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I would think he will come in for Goodes.

boydogs
05-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Also, Hrovat is the Honey replacement and a Darley/Biggs/recruit is the Goodes one (half backers).

Darley & Biggs would be competing with Murphy, Wood, Boyd & JJ, not Goodes

I'm just wondering if he could do the job, could he have shut Hurn down last night for instance?

Half of Hurn's work was done from kickouts