PDA

View Full Version : Josh Toy

bornadog
24-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Toy seeks Victorian club (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150210/default.aspx)

Has been seen lurking around the club but interest is also being shown by Essendon and the Hawks.

Gold Coast has offered him another year but he wants to come home. Toy was one of the 17 year olds picked up by GC and was considered a possible number three if he went into the draft that year.

We will be going into the draft with picks 5, 6 and 22, so that leaves 51 for either trading or the draft.

Would 51 plus a player do it? Perhaps Sherman, back to Queensland.

Any interest, despite his heart condition.

azabob
24-10-2012, 11:57 PM
His heart condition doesn't worry me too much.

What does worry me is why hasn't he played more football for the suns?
Another concern is, when he has played he has struggled to get the footy.

I am not sure Toy will add to our team.

LongWait
25-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Toy seeks Victorian club (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150210/default.aspx)

Has been seen lurking around the club but interest is also being shown by Essendon and the Hawks.

Gold Coast has offered him another year but he wants to come home. Toy was one of the 17 year olds picked up by GC and was considered a possible number three if he went into the draft that year.

We will be going into the draft with picks 5, 6 and 22, so that leaves 51 for either trading or the draft.

Any interest, despite his heart condition.

I've read more than once that JMac is a big fan of both Toy and Stevens from their AIS days. You heard this BAD (or anyone?)

Hotdog60
25-10-2012, 12:16 AM
His heart condition doesn't worry me too much.

What does worry me is why hasn't he played more football for the suns?
Another concern is, when he has played he has struggled to get the footy.

I am not sure Toy will add to our team.

I think I lean this way also

Sockeye Salmon
25-10-2012, 01:31 AM
GC won't take 51 so it would have to be PSD

It would also mean delisting another player

G-Mo77
25-10-2012, 01:39 AM
GC won't take 51 so it would have to be PSD

It would also mean delisting another player

I don't think I'd want to use #51 on him and would rather take it to the draft.

Would he fall past Melbourne, GWS or even GC if he went to the PSD?

jeemak
25-10-2012, 02:25 AM
I don't think I'd want to use #51 on him and would rather take it to the draft.

Would he fall past Melbourne, GWS or even GC if he went to the PSD?

Irrespective of whether he falls to us, I think I'm with you in waiting and seeing how it pans out.

With 5, 6, 22, Hunter and 51 for use in the draft we're probably as close as we're going to get to our initial strategy of compiling picks within the top 50 range to improve our list.

As for packaging Sherman up in any deals I think we just need to accept he'll be a part of our club for another year. If he's on the nose with us for different reasons, those reasons would be well known by other clubs, and as a result his currency would probably fall below what he could potentially provide the club if he was given the opportunity to turn things around.

Next year, if he's around, I'm going to cheer Sherman on just as much as I cheer any other of our players and back the personnel involved to get the best out of him. Throughout the time I've followed the game and our club I've seen too many instances of immature players turning things around at incumbent clubs, or being off-loaded to other clubs and turning it around to write him off one year under a new structure.

I wait in hope, but I hope nonetheless.

Maddog37
25-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Cannot have Vez and Toy on the list.

bornadog
25-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Cannot have Vez and Toy on the list.

We can do a swap:D

Maddog37
25-10-2012, 10:43 AM
May as well.

Both super junior players that struggle to get a kick at AFL level. Both lovely kicks and from what I have read, good blokes.

LostDoggy
25-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Toy has had weeks to make up his mind, instead he waits until 2 days before the end of trade week to say he wants to go back to Vic

Mofra
25-10-2012, 11:20 AM
We need to give up on the fantasy that Sherman will be traded out - espeically to Gold Coast who have to trim their list this season.

Hotdog60
25-10-2012, 11:46 AM
We need to give up on the fantasy that Sherman will be traded out - espeically to Gold Coast who have to trim their list this season.

Plus didn't Sherman want to get out of QLD and head to Vic. so he could be closer to family in Tassie.

Dogmatic
25-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Josh Toy's heart condition prevents him from getting his heart rate above 100. It was explained by a doctor on trade radio. I can't see how he can play AFL with this problem, especially considering how important raotations are at the moment.

Cyberdoggie
25-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Josh Toy's heart condition prevents him from getting his heart rate above 100. It was explained by a doctor on trade radio. I can't see how he can play AFL with this problem, especially considering how important raotations are at the moment.

His heart rate would get over 100 just jogging out the race.
That can't be right.

azabob
25-10-2012, 01:12 PM

That doctor had never met Toy, let alone examined him and was totally misinformed.

turtle
25-10-2012, 01:15 PM
His heart rate would get over 100 just jogging out the race.
That can't be right.

I heard the trade radio interview as well. They said that his resting heart rate was really low. I aslo remember Toy tweeting the same day saying that there had been some hurtful misinformation about him. The clubs interviewing will know the truth, and any club that picks him up will know whether he has the aerobic capacity to succeed.

Having said that I can't imagine that an elite sportsman can function anywhere near the level he needs to with this kind of limitation. If indeed this is 100 beats assertion is true, it would explain why he was so good at a junior level, but has struggled with the substantial step up in class that comes with playing senior AFL footy.

whythelongface
25-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Now that we have Tom Young you would think that Toy is no longer on our radar. Both play off HBF and are a similar age.

F'scary
25-10-2012, 01:44 PM
...As for packaging Sherman up in any deals I think we just need to accept he'll be a part of our club for another year. If he's on the nose with us for different reasons, those reasons would be well known by other clubs, and as a result his currency would probably fall below what he could potentially provide the club if he was given the opportunity to turn things around.

Next year, if he's around, I'm going to cheer Sherman on just as much as I cheer any other of our players and back the personnel involved to get the best out of him. Throughout the time I've followed the game and our club I've seen too many instances of immature players turning things around at incumbent clubs, or being off-loaded to other clubs and turning it around to write him off one year under a new structure.

I wait in hope, but I hope nonetheless.

I agree, we must accept that he will be around for another year so we must support him - but if you want I will follow him down the player's race first bad game.

Scorlibo
25-10-2012, 01:46 PM
If he's always had the aerobic issue then what's the problem? He's clearly performed at an elite level as a junior despite this. I would give up pick 51 in a heartbeat for a talent like him.

G-Mo77
25-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Now that we have Tom Young you would think that Toy is no longer on our radar. Both play off HBF and are a similar age.

You'd think so, only way I see it happening is for another player.

bornadog
26-10-2012, 10:58 AM
tweet from Cal Twomey AFL: Suns insist they'll try find Josh Toy a new home today. Either way Marcus Ashcroft says Toy's unlikely to be at the club in 2013.