PDA

View Full Version : Who are the KPF in the AFL ?

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Current list - agree or disagree?

Franklin
J. Reiwoldt
N. Reiwoldt
Brown
Pavlich
Tippett
Walker
Cloke
Hawkins
JPod
Roughead
Clark
Petrie
Kennedy

We need Cordy, Jones or someone to join these ranks before we are a serious contender.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Franklin - agree
J. Reiwoldt - agree
N. Reiwoldt - agree
Brown - agree
Pavlich - agree
Tippett - disagree
Walker - disagree
Cloke - agree
Hawkins - agree
JPod - disagree
Roughead - disagree
Clark - disagree
Petrie - disagree
Kennedy - disagree

The one's i disagree with i believe haven't established themselves as a dominant forward. The others i would get worried about shutting down and kicking a bag on us but the likes of JPod, Tippett etc i would have confidence in shutting down. They certainly have the potential but so does Jones (who is further away in development than the others)

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 02:54 PM
My bad. Perhaps it's a better idea, rather than agree and disagree, put up your own list?
\
Present some logic on your views regards Petrie pls. Richo, Lloyd, all the greats agree he is a hugely damaging player.
On form in 2012, ( stats) a as good a player than Cloke, who you rate. Does not compute.
( edit - kicked around the same number of goals )

Twodogs
13-11-2012, 03:02 PM
My bad. Perhaps it's a better idea, rather than agree and disagree, put up your own list?
\
Present some logic on your views regards Petrie pls. Richo, Lloyd, all the greats agree he is a hugely damaging player.
On form in 2012, ( stats) a better player than Cloke, who you rate. Does not compute.

He's damaged us regularly over the years.

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Exactly. He's every bit as good as Cloke. Both have round the same goals kicked in 2012.

I just can't see us getting any of our younger blokes to this level for some years. Can fully understand why we went for Dawes.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Exactly. He's every bit as good as Cloke. Both have round the same goals kicked in 2012.

I just can't see us getting any of our younger blokes to this level for some years. Can fully understand why we went for Dawes.

Petrie i agree is very close but he has only had the one damaging season. For a guy who is 30 he has taken some time to develop which is why i dont see him as a Cloke who had exceeded him at such a young age. If he keeps it up next year i will put him in the same class.

Mofra
13-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Tippett - disagree
Walker - disagree
JPod - disagree
Roughead - disagree
Clark - disagree
Petrie - disagree
Kennedy - disagree

The one's i disagree with i believe haven't established themselves as a dominant forward.
Seriously?

Even 5th and 7th on the AFL goal kicking list haven't established themselves as Key Forwards?

Every player on Ghost Dog's list would be our no 1 forward comfortably.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Seriously?

Even 5th and 7th on the AFL goal kicking list haven't established themselves as Key Forwards?

Every player on Ghost Dog's list would be our no 1 forward comfortably.

doesn't mean they have established themselves as a key forward.

Also i dont think ~1 season of good form is enough to warrant being considered a key forward. i guess it depends on interpretation. Dominant key position forward no but Key Position yes.

AndrewP6
13-11-2012, 07:06 PM
doesn't mean they have established themselves as a key forward.

Also i dont think ~1 season of good form is enough to warrant being considered a key forward. i guess it depends on interpretation. Dominant key position forward no but Key Position yes.

Isn't that the thread title?

bulldogsthru&thru
13-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Isn't that the thread title?

in that case Jones is also a Key Position forward. That is the position he plays

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 12:05 AM
BDT&T - make a list of the top 12 KPF in the AFL at this time. If you like?
If you do, I think you will struggle to write a list without Drew Petrie in it.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2012, 09:37 AM
BDT&T - make a list of the top 12 KPF in the AFL at this time. If you like?
If you do, I think you will struggle to write a list without Drew Petrie in it.

absolutely. However the top 12 KPF is almost the main forward from each team (bar the bottom 6 you could argue). I still wouldnt consider him in the same echelon as your Franklins, Riewoldts, Browns etc just yet....he is close though.

I cannot rank from 1-12 as that would require a lot of time and thought but top 12 would be (as current in no particular order):

Franklin
J. Reiwoldt
N. Reiwoldt
Brown
Pavlich
Cloke
Hawkins

Petrie
Walker
Tippett
Roughead
Kennedy

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Ok cool. Which of our younger players can enter this list? And how long will it take them?
Jones could be on talent at least as good as Roughead and maybe Walker. But can't see him matching the those in the top part of your list. Our forward line remains our biggest headache and not really sure where the goals are going to come from next year.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Ok cool. Which of our younger players can enter this list? And how long will it take them?
Jones could be on talent at least as good as Roughead and maybe Walker. But can't see him matching the those in the top part of your list. Our forward line remains our biggest headache and not really sure where the goals are going to come from next year.

Jones is the only one i can forsee at present. He certainly has the potential to do so. He's probably 3 or so years away from becoming a Roughead/Walker. It doesn't help that our team is rebuilding at present because he was outstanding when he had Hall as the main focus but with him being the main target and getting the no 1 defender each week at such a young age is hurting him. A great learning curve but he isn't ready for that attention just yet. But what is more beneficial? Playing in the VFL against weaker opponents and getting his hands on the ball and kicking goals or learning against the best defenders in the game and hardly getting a touch? Its a tough one. Maybe a combination? Once our team as a whole gets better i think he will improve more rapidly as the delivery will be much better.

Cordy i am still unsure about. He really does look like an experiment down there. But you are right it is out biggest headache our forward line. Im not sure where the goals will come from either especially with Gia likely to drop a bit next season. Hopefully we can recruit a Mason Shaw or O'Brien at pick 22 in the draft.

Mofra
14-11-2012, 10:56 AM
It's very, very, very harsh to say that Walker and Petrie have had only one good season.

I'm not sure what you want from a key position forward, but it's a tough gig at AFL level and if you are the no 1 target for your team, chances are you are one of the top players in the side.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-11-2012, 11:16 AM
It's very, very, very harsh to say that Walker and Petrie have had only one good season.

I am saying Petrie has had season at the same level as say Franklin/Riewoldt.

I'm not sure what you want from a key position forward, but it's a tough gig at AFL level and if you are the no 1 target for your team, chances are you are one of the top players in the side.

Of course. But Jones is our number one target and i dont consider him in the same league as Franklin or Riewoldt. A Key Position Forward is a position. Every team has one.

Mofra
14-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Of course. But Jones is our number one target and i dont consider him in the same league as Franklin or Riewoldt. A Key Position Forward is a position. Every team has one.
To be a legitimate no 1 target in a side I'd suggest you have to be in the best 22, so I disagree that Jones is.

Even if we take the list to be as a "dominant forward" as per post two, what is your criteria?