PDA

View Full Version : Our poor kicking

Dry Rot
13-11-2012, 01:46 PM
This decade, our disposal by foot has really declined as a team. In addition, we have drafted some players with good picks who are ordinary to poor kicks eg Talia and Smith.

In contrast, apparently Hawthorn 's recruiting focuses on good disposal/ kicking.

How can we fix this?

Are good kicks born not made, so we're stuck with this? Or can kicking tuition and clinics really improve a bad kick?

Remi Moses
13-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I think with some hard work Smith and Talia can become adequate but not exceptional kicks.
We need some nice disposal, no doubt.

bornadog
13-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Get Gilbee in as a kicking coach.

stefoid
13-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I tend to think the decline is in our general execution under pressure rather than just kicking. Im sure the boys can hit up their targets doing circle work during training, but over the last couple of years the defensive pressure in an AFL game has gone up across the board and our disposal has gone down accordingly.

We need to practice decision making and disposal under match pressure and thats what bmac is doing, 'from the inside out' which I suppose means first work on getting the contested ball, and hopefully also work on spread and execution outside of teh contest as well this year.

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 05:16 PM
With Brad's new kicking test being implemented at the entry point for players, expect new emphasis on this an kicking to improve among kids.

Mofra
13-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Get Gilbee in as a kicking coach.
Gilbee doesn't even know he does it - in interviews he says "it's always just come naturally". I remain unconvinced he can coach skills.

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Gilbee doesn't even know he does it - in interviews he says "it's always just come naturally". I remain unconvinced he can coach skills.

This is what concerns me. Of the up and coming kids we have - Cordy, Roughead ( now a back ), Grant, Jones. Their kicking is most ordinary.

immortalmike
13-11-2012, 06:49 PM
This is what concerns me. Of the up and coming kids we have - Cordy, Roughead ( now a back ), Grant, Jones. Their kicking is most ordinary.

For goals yes but all four's field kicking is not a problem, specifically Grant and Roughead who are actually pretty good field kicks. This to me points to a mental rather than physical issue.

Smith and Talia just have horrible actions which can hopefully be improved.

jazzadogs
13-11-2012, 06:59 PM
For goals yes but all four's field kicking is not a problem, specifically Grant and Roughead who are actually pretty good field kicks. This to me points to a mental rather than physical issue.

Smith and Talia just have horrible actions which can hopefully be improved.
I disagree that it's entirely a mental issue. When you kick for goal, you generally need to loft the ball higher to get it over the man on the mark.

Field kicking can be aimed much lower, making it easier to 'stab' the ball through.

There may well be mental issues at play, but I think it's more a technique problem.

Eastdog
13-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Poor kicking has aspects of technique and confidence. If these are addressed accordingly then hopefully we can see an improvement. Confidence I believe is a big factor too.

Ghost Dog
13-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Our coach has not really put a high priority on it has he?

GVGjr
13-11-2012, 07:59 PM
We haven't placed a premium on players for a number of year although I'm sure it's why we focused on Howard and jumped him up the order.

The Hawks have certainly done a fine job adding adding good players with the right sort of kicking technique.
I hope Brendan McCartney doesn't just place a premium in guys who get in and have a crack because we do need to life the skill base.

immortalmike
13-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I disagree that it's entirely a mental issue. When you kick for goal, you generally need to loft the ball higher to get it over the man on the mark.

Field kicking can be aimed much lower, making it easier to 'stab' the ball through.

There may well be mental issues at play, but I think it's more a technique problem.

You may be right but my mind always comes back to Chris Grant who was one of the best kicks I've ever seen but had the yips big time when it came to set shots, he always felt it was down to a mental issue and focussing way to much on it rather than just going back and naturally having a shot.

LostDoggy
13-11-2012, 10:18 PM

You'll get your wish as I heard him on the radio saying he wants to coach but specifically not with the Dogs. Wants to get experience with a different club as WB's style of play is all he knows. Makes sense but I'd love to have him back one day as with Leon C.

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Far out, get Barry Hall. Kicks like a well oiled machine. Who has a better technique than Bazza? One of the best set shots for goal in the last 10 years.

Eastdog
14-11-2012, 12:18 AM
What's Ben Graham Geelong player turned NFL Player doing these days? He was a very long kick and I reckon he could teach a few of our players techniques in kicking.