PDA

View Full Version : Soccer will dominate AFL and Cricket in Oz

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Article in the Warrnambool Standard the other day about the death of Country cricket.
Summary:
Too many other choices for kids
Game takes too long for people with busy Saturday's.
Not as glamorous as it used to be ( Just have a look at attendances for state games )
Country clubs really struggle to get any sort of numbers now.

The worrying thing is, in the article they indicate AFL in the country is facing the same trend.
Chef made a good point the other day. Under 6's can't play AFL. But they can play soccer.
How long before the round ball game becomes the dominant code in Australia?

Not long probably. Any views on this? I'm not a parent, but can understand parents have some views on which sport they prefer their kids to play....

Delete thread if already one started on this nature.

I reckon they should start a touch rugby style of AFL for kids. I used to love touch rugby, and hey, you get to play with the girls :)

ledge
14-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Soccer is coming big time , the things happening in AFL like rule changes and cheating are destroying it , the best thing soccer did was go to the summer it's opened people eyes to
What a great and simple game soccer is rules wise.
I was at Harry Kewells first game at the victory and sat in front of 5 mad AFL supporters, after the game they said they loved it and would start following it, the game was a draw and not a goal scored!

bornadog
14-11-2012, 03:03 PM
I reckon they should start a touch rugby style of AFL for kids. I used to love touch rugby, and hey, you get to play with the girls :)

http://www.afl9s.com.au/

chef
15-11-2012, 07:54 AM
My sons 9 and he's already lost to Soccer, as that was the first competitive sport he could play(from age 5) and that's what most the kids play in the breaks at school.

It might take 20 years, but it will revival and probably over take Cricket as the summer viewing sport.

Maddog37
15-11-2012, 09:23 AM
My lad is ten and started futsal a few years ago. He is very good at it (fathers pride sorry) and was invited to state squad training etc so I thought that was it. They all play it at school etc etc.

He missed the first year of under ten footy as he had no interest and then all of a sudden this year he played footy and improved every week. They all play footy in footy season and soccer in summer.

Don't underestimate the power of footy as a game. Once you start to play it you very quickly develop a love of it. The Auskick program is very strong too.

Cricket will be the one to struggle especially the traditional format.

Funny thing is that as long as my kids are playing a sport and enjoying it whilst getting fit, I dont care what they play(as long as they support the Dogs in AFL).

bornadog
15-11-2012, 11:02 AM
It might take 20 years, but it will revival and probably over take Cricket as the summer viewing sport.

I have been hearing this for the past 40 plus years.

Mantis
15-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Up until maybe 5 or 6 years ago wasn't Soccer primarily a winter sport in this country?

LostDoggy
15-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Stand in a bar from Cairns to Bunbury and the patrons will be watching cricket. IT is the true national game.

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Up until maybe 5 or 6 years ago wasn't Soccer primarily a winter sport in this country?

Suburban and Country sport is the backbone of athletic development in this country.
Once upon a time soccer was not even an option in Hamilton. I tried it when I was a kid, but it folded due to lack of interest. We had two teams. The best bloke on the field was a double amputee. Was a girls game / "wogs" game ( rather cruel and inaccurate on both counts ). How things of changed. Kids with Premier league T-shirts etc

Stand in a bar from Cairns to Bunbury and the patrons will be watching cricket. IT is the true national game.

They are finding it hard to field teams now in country vic. Hard to see how it's going to survive.

bornadog
15-11-2012, 11:25 AM

You would say that:D

I agree, although attendances go up and down, during a test match, the radio is on all over Australia.

Doc26
15-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Soccer is coming big time , the things happening in AFL like rule changes and cheating are destroying it , the best thing soccer did was go to the summer it's opened people eyes to
What a great and simple game soccer is rules wise.
I was at Harry Kewells first game at the victory and sat in front of 5 mad AFL supporters, after the game they said they loved it and would start following it, the game was a draw and not a goal scored!

My sons 9 and he's already lost to Soccer, as that was the first competitive sport he could play(from age 5) and that's what most the kids play in the breaks at school.

It is coming that's for sure and may well start to build rapidly now that the A League has taken form over a period of years. It will go to another level once those brought up on the staple of winter being purely the domain of VFL/AFL and summer being cricket becoming truly captured by it.

As a collective, those of us brought up on this diet of AFL and Cricket are an incredibly loyal and passionate bunch tied to a strong Australian sporting culture. The A-League at least for this audience is relatively new and was always going to take some time to capture their hearts and importantly their loyalty and passion to a chosen Club.

~15-10 years ago I really couldn't have cared less for 'soccer' in this country other than to stay up each year with some mates to watch the FA Cup final.

Whether it was being frustrated over a long period with the direction of the game I love most of all, AFL, and with cricket seriously losing its identity in this country to those that were brought up on this staple of test cricket and then being equally captivated by the personalities that were a part of it, I now very much look forward each week to cheering on my chosen Club in the A League, The Victory.

I feel that sense of passion and loyalty building rather rapidly, and a shift I see opening the game up to current and future generations as I share my new 'passion' with my own children.

For me AFL and cricket moreso in this country have both seriously disenfranchised its heartland and in doing so has put a dagger into its traditional identity which it may now struggle to get back. Watching the recent test match at the Gabba spoke volumes to this. To a traditionalist, it was sad to see so many empty seats in the stands in the first test match of a series in Australia against the number one Test cricket nation at this time. I still love test cricket but feel there's not too many of us left and would struggle to find friends or family, other than my father, willing to spend a few days with me at the Boxing Day Test.

AFL may well escape to a point given it's a winter game but cricket in Australia is right in the crosshairs now of 'soccer' in this country.

There is a void that has been left open to all those once so loyal and passionate to these two codes that if 'soccer' in Australia plays its cards right will reap giant rewards by filling this hole.

Twodogs
15-11-2012, 01:24 PM
My sons 9 and he's already lost to Soccer.

My lad is ten and started futsal a few years ago.

My son played half a season of footy and then decided soccer was for him. He played with a club last year and although he didnt play this year he's played a few games for his school.

We play in the backyard every night. And afternoon.

DragzLS1
15-11-2012, 02:17 PM
From an AFL and Bulldogs supporter who has played soccer from the age of 9, been offered a scholarship to the states when I was 17 before injuring my ankle on 2 occassions keeping me out of the game for 4 years (and adding 20kg). I have been heavily involved in soccer both on and off teh field. I have always loved soccer, playing, watching it but will never give up on AFL or the Dogs!

There is room for both and especially with the A league during teh summer and AFL during the winter I dont see why they would both suffer. I know many people who do the same.

Cricket on the other hand I have never enjoyed nor will I understand, and am not suprised its drop over the last few years.

There is no game like Aussie rules and hope it stays strong, but there is no doubting the worlds no.1 sport. The AFL has to realise this threat and stay ahead of teh game. This wont happen with all these rule changes which is exactly the only aspect of soccer that is frustrating.

Go dogs!

Cyberdoggie
15-11-2012, 02:18 PM
My son played half a season of footy and then decided soccer was for him. He played with a club last year and although he didnt play this year he's played a few games for his school.

We play in the backyard every night. And afternoon.

But is that because you also like soccer?
or because he wants to play soccer because his friends play soccer?

If all the kids at school are playing soccer than that's a big problem, because we all know how kids are with peer pressure. They all follow the leader.

My cousin isn't much of a sportsman but was playing footy outside of school and stopped because he didn't have any friends playing (was never going to be a future afl star). He started playing soccer because his friends at school were, and because they all play at lunch time. He doesn't actually like the game or know much about it.

He's actually now switched to playing baseball and golf which is interesting again.

I think the problem these days is also that a lot of parents are a little over protective with their children and they would rather they play soccer instead of AFL. Which in my opinion is silly at that age, there's no difference.

If the kids are all playing the sport at some level, at least they will have an interest if they don't continue with the sport. If soccer is the sport of choice in the play ground then AFL has a problem.

mjp
15-11-2012, 02:47 PM
If soccer is the sport of choice in the play ground then AFL has a problem.

Soccer IS the sport of choice at school lunchtimes because:

- You can be completely without skill and still kick the ball. This is not true in football.
- Primary school teachers are predominantly female and have little ==> no idea (generalisation) of how to teach someone how to kick.
- There is a perception within school admin that whilst soccer is 'safe' football is not.

Just because it is easy to get started doesn't mean it is easy to get better though - you have to spend hours with a ball to improve (just like football) and what happens AFTER school and where parents enrol their kids to play sport remains the key determining factor in what becomes their sport of choice.

My kids will never play soccer. Ever. They are indoctrinated and this indoctrination is supported every time they watch part of a game and watch players rolling on the ground in 'agony', faking for free kicks and teams who are more interested in not losing than winning. And it is this last point that is important - the rule changes in the AFL aren't the problem with the sport - it is teams that play the way we did in 2012 that are the problem...boring teams who don't want to run and take the game on create a lousy spectacle which leads to disinterest.

Axe Man
15-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Just my observations from my area in country Victoria...

I have seen no evidence of the decline of AFL or cricket around here. I'm 34 and there are many more junior footy teams now than when I was young, whilst senior teams remain unchanged. Admittedly it is a growing area due largely to the never ending sprawl of the south eastern suburbs. Junior soccer in the area has grown massively over the years however I don't think it has having a huge effect on junior footy numbers.

It may change in the future but the large number of junior soccer players doesn't seem to translate into senior participation. In comparison to footy there are very few senior soccer clubs around these parts.

I don't believe there have ever been a greater number of senior cricket teams in the local leagues than there are at present. The club for which I have previously played fields sides in 5 of the 6 divisions, a few years back there were only 3 senior sides. I'm not quite up on the junior cricket ranks however I suspect numbers have remained fairly consistent over the years.

The growth of junior soccer in my area is significant however I don't believe it is killing footy or cricket. Perhaps in other areas the story is different, but around here I remain alert, not alarmed.

chef
15-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Times have changed now that it's a summer sport here and a new generation which loves the game.

chef
15-11-2012, 05:06 PM

- You can be completely without skill and still kick the ball. This is not true in football.
- Primary school teachers are predominantly female and have little ==> no idea (generalisation) of how to teach someone how to kick.
- There is a perception within school admin that whilst soccer is 'safe' football is not.

It's the sport of choose because kids enjoy playing it, it's that simple. There's still the groups that play Footy, but they are just getting smaller every year. At least that is what's happening at the school my son goes to.

It's never going to over take AFL, but as a summer spectator sport it will over take cricket.

On another note, everybody needs to check out Ibrahimovic's game against England especially his last goal which was:eek::eek::eek::eek:

AndrewP6
15-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Just from my experiences at work (school in growth corridor of SE suburbs, over 900 kids) AFL hasn't lost out yet. Yes, soccer is popular, but our game is still going strong. Our school has banned tackling, which means its kick to kick or variations thereof. We have a staff v students footy match each year too.

AndrewP6
15-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Whist on the whole, the point abou,t most teachers being female is right, in my experience mot or many PE teachers are male. My school has a good share of blokes, making footy season the topic of conversation through much of the year :D

bornadog
16-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Times have changed now that it's a summer sport here and a new generation which loves the game.

Lets agree to disagree, soccer may be fun to play but boring to watch.

Eastdog
16-11-2012, 12:24 AM
The game in Australia has definitely taken off since we qualified for the 2006 World Cup in a game we all won't forget in 2005 against Uruguay. The A League though could be promoted more than it is but watching an actual game of soccer I think even though not a lot of goals are scored is entertaining with the skills on showcase. You can have very entertaining 0-0 draws with lots of chances from the teams.

AndrewP6
16-11-2012, 12:30 AM
The game in Australia has definitely taken off since we qualified for the 2006 World Cup in a game we all won't forget in 2005 against Uruguay. The A League though could be promoted more than it is but watching an actual game of soccer I think even though not a lot of goals are scored is entertaining with the skills on showcase. You can have very entertaining 0-0 draws with lots of chances from the teams.

I'm not sure we all remember it. I have no idea what happened in that game, nor the slightest interest in watching 80 minutes of a game where nobody scores.

Eastdog
16-11-2012, 12:39 AM
I'm not sure we all remember it. I have no idea what happened in that game, nor the slightest interest in watching 80 minutes of a game where nobody scores.

Except maybe if its your team you would watch the match because in those last 10 minutes something special might happen after 80 minutes of no goals. I see though what your saying AndrewP6. Are you a big soccer fan?

AndrewP6
16-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Except maybe if its your team you would watch the match because in those last 10 minutes something special might happen after 80 minutes of no goals. I see though what your saying AndrewP6. Are you a big soccer fan?
The opposite, I can't stand it. See below:

Eastdog
16-11-2012, 12:46 AM
The opposite, I can't stand it. See below:

That's alright not everyone likes soccer or football as they call it in Europe so each to their own.

chef
16-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Lets agree to disagree, soccer may be fun to play but boring to watch.

You can say the same thing about cricket:D

soupman
16-11-2012, 03:59 PM
You can say the same thing about cricket:D

I've always found it odd that so many people bag soccer for being a boring game where nothing happens, but absolutely love test cricket, which surely has to be one of the most drawn out games ever. At least soccer draws only take 90 minutes, not 5 days.

Remi Moses
16-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Soccer v Football Football v Auusie Rules v Cricket.
Debated so many times on the social media in this country it's tedious.
Personally each to their own, but with obesity in epic proportions it's good to have young people being active.

Remi Moses
16-11-2012, 04:13 PM
That's alright not everyone likes soccer or football as they call it in Europe so each to their own.

East Dog, Sydney people call RL Footy. Union people call their sport football.
Unfortunately some are insecure to worry about something being called football

mjp
16-11-2012, 06:33 PM
It's the sport of choose because kids enjoy playing it, it's that simple. There's still the groups that play Footy, but they are just getting smaller every year.

Not true.

Playing Australian football has been banned at my son's primary school due to the perceived danger. You see the kids kicking a soccer ball at school yet they all head to footy training after school...Junior footy registrations far outstrip soccer rego's here in WA despite the efforts of the Education department.

Eastdog
16-11-2012, 07:36 PM
East Dog, Sydney people call RL Footy. Union people call their sport football.
Unfortunately some are insecure to worry about something being called football

True Remi. In NSW and QLD Football = Rugby pretty much. Not sure how GWS will cope in a rugby mad heartland. The Rugby League crowds are a lot lower than AFL crowds.

Remi Moses
16-11-2012, 09:29 PM
True Remi. In NSW and QLD Football = Rugby pretty much. Not sure how GWS will cope in a rugby mad heartland. The Rugby League crowds are a lot lower than AFL crowds.

What gives me the s**** is people concern themselves over it.
Sets of fans engage in a peeing comp . ( Aussie rules and Soccer fans)
More inclined to worry about the Extreme Boganish behaviour of parents.

chef
17-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Not true.

Playing Australian football has been banned at my son's primary school due to the perceived danger. You see the kids kicking a soccer ball at school yet they all head to footy training after school...Junior footy registrations far outstrip soccer rego's here in WA despite the efforts of the Education department.

Must be a WA thing as my three kids go to different schools and it's not the case here.

chef
17-11-2012, 07:12 PM
I've always found it odd that so many people bag soccer for being a boring game where nothing happens, but absolutely love test cricket, which surely has to be one of the most drawn out games ever. At least soccer draws only take 90 minutes, not 5 days.

Agree.

GVGjr
17-11-2012, 07:24 PM

I'll put a bit more content to this than some of the replies so far. I don't see an issue with a drawn game in either Soccer or Cricket in fact some of the more exciting games can be drawn.

I also think there is more than enough room in the Australian market for Soccer, Cricket, AFL, NRL and even the ARU to co exist.

At the moment though I still think the A League lags a long way back in terms of standards when compared to most of the other codes. I'm probably going to be wrong here but I think a lot of supporters of the A league watch it because it fills the gap of missing out on seeing EPL games.

A serious question but are people in Australia more passionate about the Heart or the Victory than their EPL clubs?

chef
18-11-2012, 10:29 AM
A serious question but are people in Australia more passionate about the Heart or the Victory than their EPL clubs?

No, not yet.

But I've only been a Heart fan for a couple of years while I've been a Chelsea fan for over 30.

GVGjr
18-11-2012, 10:33 AM
No, not yet.

But I've only been a Heart fan for a couple of years while I've been a Chelsea fan for over 30.

That's the way I think so many people see it which in turn holds back the A League.
It's seen as a secondary competition by the fans it's hoping to attract and it's the reason why I don't think it can challenge the AFL, NRL or Cricket at the moment.

soupman
18-11-2012, 04:56 PM

I am. The Epl and other international leagues are too far away to support. I know that realistically I may only ever get one or two chances to see them play live, and to watch them on tv I either have to tape it or stay up late/get up early which isn't practical.

I've really enjoyed following the Heart because it's something i can go to every second week, and is my AFL substitute in the summer now.

At the moment though I still think the A League lags a long way back in terms of standards when compared to most of the other codes.

This is always going to be true, especially seeing as pretty much all the other codes allow us to see the worlds best in Australia, while we will only ever see mediocre players and very young or very old champions in the A-League.

The A-League I'm not sure is ever going to really capture the soccer market, because of thislimitation in quality. I do think however that it could make a decent play for getting AFL and other code fans to crossover and make it their "Summer football". Hopefully the A-League will soon develop into a solid mid tier league. It will never play host to the worlds best footballers or even Australia's in their prime, but hopefully we will see more and more players choose to prolong their development in the A-League before heading overseas (like Thomas Rogic), and Aussies who don't quite cut it at the top leagues oversea's representing us in their prime instead of the English Championship or similiar.

bornadog
19-11-2012, 08:40 AM
No, not yet.

What I don't understand is people being so passionate about the EPL when they are Australian.