PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season training thread

Greystache
17-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I got down to training this week to have a look. I was pleasantly surprised to see the footballs out and heavily involved in most of the training drills we were doing. There was a strong focus on running as you'd expect, but skills were a focus while the players were fatigued.

We were also doing some stoppage work with a focus on clearing the ball from a stoppage. The forward line still looks like it needs a lot of work!

Most of the players were out there including the senior players, Dale Morris was doing everything. The only players I couldn't spot were Grant and Cordy.

Anyone who drops in for a look this summer, a quick update is always appreciated by the WOOF diehards, regardless of how small it may be.

azabob
17-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks Stache, good to see your back posting.

Grant was in a video loaded up on the website doing boxing with Gia. If Grant does a lot of work with Gia he certainly will be in for a hard time.

Did anyone look out of shape?

Greystache
17-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks Stache, good to see your back posting.

Grant was in a video loaded up on the website doing boxing with Gia. If Grant does a lot of work with Gia he certainly will be in for a hard time.

Did anyone look out of shape?

I'll do my best with the limited time I have over the next few weeks.

No one stood out, although most of the action was in the center of the ground so I wasn't too up close and personal. I did confuse Ash Hansen with Cooney a few times!

Go_Dogs
17-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the report, good to read there seems to be a focus on skills at this early stage.

Given Cordy and Grant weren't sighted, who played up forward with Jones?

Greystache
17-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the report, good to read there seems to be a focus on skills at this early stage.

Given Cordy and Grant weren't sighted, who played up forward with Jones?

It was pretty informal stuff but Jones and Redpath were primarily the key targets, but overall there was the continuing theme of lack of options presenting strongly.

Ghost Dog
18-11-2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/default.aspx?newsid=151229

Boxing Bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs fitness staff are beginning to ramp up the training schedule, incorporating running and an intense boxing session this week.

bornadog
19-11-2012, 08:42 AM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/default.aspx?newsid=151229

Boxing Bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs fitness staff are beginning to ramp up the training schedule, incorporating running and an intense boxing session this week.

Need to put the footballs away this time of the year.

always right
19-11-2012, 11:49 AM

I remember when Wallace first came in as coach he brought out the footballs very early and focused on our disposal skills. By memory it signalled a distinct improvement in our kicking skills that season.

Greystache
19-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Really? I couldn't agree less, there's no reason you can't get fit while still keeping and developing your skills. The lack of focus on skills, and in particular using the ball by foot while being pressured, is a major reason why our skills have fallen away so dramatically the last 3-4 years.

The days of uncontested free ball movement are gone for now, we missed the memo and have a lot of ground to try to make up.

DragzLS1
19-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Do not mind the balls coming out early on.. Doesnt mean we arnt running just mean we are doing some ball drills in between teh harder running sessions. After all, when you are running after a ball it is a lot easier then running in circles without 1 ;)

AndrewP6
20-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Happy to incorporate skill work, heaven knows we're in dire need of it !

gohardorgohome
25-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Footies and fitness can be brought together at training both are vital.....

Not having footies out at training is an outdated concept......

Note that I have a huge emphasis on contested ball

bornadog
25-11-2012, 11:44 PM
The days of uncontested free ball movement are gone for now, we missed the memo and have a lot of ground to try to make up.

Don't know what you mean and what that has to do with getting fit and to be able to run out a game. Most clubs don't take the footies out till after Christmas.

Anyway we will see what happens as it didn't work last pre-season.

Mantis
26-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Don't know what you mean and what that has to do with getting fit and to be able to run out a game. Most clubs don't take the footies out till after Christmas.

That just isn't the case anymore... Most clubs would have footys out on day 1 or 2 of PS training.

Ozza
26-11-2012, 11:59 AM
The footies being out is certainly a motivating factor for the boys. Pretty hard for them to get up - day after day - to JUST running and weights. And for our guys especially - they need to have the footies out so they are still learning.

F'scary
26-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Re; footies out or not.

It would be very embarrassing if it were disclosed that there was a policy not to have footies out PS as part of the preparation strategy (concentrate on running and weights) and then to have our side show basic ball skill errors during the season.

Did we exclude footies last PS?

LostDoggy
27-11-2012, 02:25 PM
A bloke carrying a violin case is stopped by a tourist in Manhattan. The tourist asks, "Can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?" The violinist replies, "Practise!"

Check out what lots of practice can do for your ball control... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnIuzeVPOE0

Fitness is a huge component of our game, but it's worthless without the skills required to take advantage of it. The footies have to be out every time we train.

bornadog
27-11-2012, 06:47 PM
That just isn't the case anymore... Most clubs would have footys out on day 1 or 2 of PS training.

Do they simulate games and tackling, gameplans etc?

immortalmike
27-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Re; footies out or not.

It would be very embarrassing if it were disclosed that there was a policy not to have footies out PS as part of the preparation strategy (concentrate on running and weights) and then to have our side show basic ball skill errors during the season.

Did we exclude footies last PS?

No, apparently we brought them out from the first day last year. We did exclude footies before Christmas under Eade though IIRC.

dogman
03-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Went passed today for an hour.

First part was skill work, drills and goal kicking practice. Then changed footware and did hard running.

Skills looked rusty. Impressed with Stevens and Hrovat skills. Cordy looks to have improved his kicking for goal, looked alot more fluent with his action. I also like the look of Jong, just so competitive.

I noticed Goodes, Prismall, Lower and Bate on the track. Goodes and Prismall appear the have good tanks. Surprised about Goodes, he was up there with the leaders.

Jones was really struggling with his running, always last in the slow group and by a fair distance. This is really dissapointing for a person that has had 4 pre seasons under his belt. Grant wasn't much better and was struggling too. But he was doing better then Tom Young who was a constantly second last and struggled. Pretty disappointing for a person who is meant to offer run off the half back.

Stringer, Hunter, Hrovat and McCrae didn't do the running drills, only the skills session. Wallis was in the rehap group, apparently rolled his ankle a couple of weeks ago.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Cheers dm.

G-Mo77
03-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Jones was really struggling with his running, always last in the slow group and by a fair distance. This is really dissapointing for a person that has had 4 pre seasons under his belt. Grant wasn't much better and was struggling too. But he was doing better then Tom Young who was a constantly second last and struggled. Pretty disappointing for a person who is meant to offer run off the half back.

Not real good to read but there's still plenty of time in the pre-season. Maybe they're pacing themselves. :D

Maddog37
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks DM. Love that sort of info.

F'scary
03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Thank you DM, I was guarding the statue of EJ from graffiti vandals and so could not check procedings out.

It is early days. There are arguments for and against the Esserdon approach of last season. Against is the danger of requiring too much from the fighting units with a corresponding increase in breakdowns and material fatigue next season. For is the longer term (>1 season) where a higher overall level of battle readiness and combat strength is achieved.

But from your dispatch it would seem that The Jones Boy, Skinny Grant and Bluey Young sound as if they need to change the gear that their waste disposal units are running in.

jeemak
04-12-2012, 01:29 AM

Anyway we will see what happens as it didn't work last pre-season.

Do they simulate games and tackling, gameplans etc?

No, apparently we brought them out from the first day last year. We did exclude footies before Christmas under Eade though IIRC.

I think you need to mix it up pre-Christmas, between out and out fitness work and skills under fatigue.

Our skills really did deteriorate at the end of Eade's tenure. I don't think that was purely because of an increased focus on contested ball work, as we didn't have too many good users come on to the list to counter balance the loss of good users throughout that time, however, I did think Eade's approach moved further away from clean skill throughout his time with us.

While the benefits of early skill work might not have been evident this year, I can't help think that it would be counterintuitive not to bring the balls out as early as possible. We had an atrocious skill level in 2012, and the only thing that will remedy that is repetitive skills training, across sessions dedicated to technique and sessions dedicated to execution under game style simulation and fatigue.

Bulldog4life
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Went passed today for an hour.

Yes I agree that is a concern. Hope like hell he improves his tank.

Mofra
04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Jones is running PBs at the moment, I'd read more into that than one training session.

Bulldog4life
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Jones is running PBs at the moment, I'd read more into that than one training session.

Now that is good news.

Mofra
04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Now that is good news.
... and hit PBs on just about every strength measure. Seems pretty upbeat

F'scary
04-12-2012, 03:32 PM

He has adopted a more aggressive hair style too, which is very positive.

boydogs
04-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Watching training and seeing him at the back doesn't mean that wasn't the session he ran PB's in

Cyberdoggie
04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Watching training and seeing him at the back doesn't mean that wasn't the session he ran PB's in

Maybe the PB was the previous session and he was knackered on the day observed :p

Ozza
04-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Maybe the PB was the previous session and he was knackered on the day observed :p

In any case - we can't really be making judgements about running and fitness levels from one session and watching from afar.

For all we know, Jones could have done a session before the main session - so that he was training after already being fatigued. Different players have different programmes.

Dancin' Douggy
04-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Any reports on Stringers running?

dogman
04-12-2012, 06:13 PM

I don't go everyweek but spoke to a few blokes there that do. Even before they started running they told me "watch this, Jones last and Grant second last"

They did say though that he looked better then previous weeks, where he couldn't keep up with the trainers and getting almost overlaped by other team members. So maybe he is doing PBs but he is coming from a long way back, which surprises me. This is his 5th preseason, he hasn't had any long layoffs through injury so don't understand why he is so far behind with his fitness. He is well behind Roughead and Cordy, even Talia is way ahead in fitness. For a guy that has obvious other flaws in his game like kicking for goal, he can't afford not to be at AFL fitness. For him to be a really good forward, he has to have elite fitness. I just can't see it happening.

On the plus side he does look bigger in the upper body and looks stronger but I think the game has moved on from the big powerful forward that can take a mark but can't run.

Mantis
04-12-2012, 06:21 PM
On the plus side he does look bigger in the upper body and looks stronger but I think the game has moved on from the big powerful forward that can take a mark but can't run.

With that being case and out of my own interest do you know where Cloke and Hawkins come in the running drills at their clubs?

Greystache
04-12-2012, 06:46 PM
With that being case and out of my own interest do you know where Cloke and Hawkins come in the running drills at their clubs?

From memory Cloke is in the top 6 for endurance at Collingwood, no idea about Hawkins.

boydogs
04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't go everyweek but spoke to a few blokes there that do. Even before they started running they told me "watch this, Jones last and Grant second last"

They did say though that he looked better then previous weeks, where he couldn't keep up with the trainers and getting almost overlaped by other team members. So maybe he is doing PBs but he is coming from a long way back, which surprises me. This is his 5th preseason, he hasn't had any long layoffs through injury so don't understand why he is so far behind with his fitness. He is well behind Roughead and Cordy, even Talia is way ahead in fitness. For a guy that has obvious other flaws in his game like kicking for goal, he can't afford not to be at AFL fitness. For him to be a really good forward, he has to have elite fitness. I just can't see it happening.

Thanks for the info

Cyberdoggie
04-12-2012, 11:54 PM

Could just be that Jones and Grant are doing a heavy weights based program first as a priority over the running at this stage of pre-season.

Muscle fatigue would effect their running. In any case, it's near impossible for us to tell these days as each player has a different program to some extent. It's not one giant boot camp anymore.

stefoid
06-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Suddenly his placement close to goal makes a lot of sense. :(

Grant needs to get fitter or he is finished.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Suddenly his placement close to goal makes a lot of sense. :(

Grant needs to get fitter or he is finished.

Shocking news, I had no idea either Jones or Grant had such poor running and endurance skills. Grant is built like the proverbial greyhound, looks like a long distance runner, I just presumed he had it. I held great hopes for a com=nsiderable improvement in his output this year but now I agree Stefoid, Grant needs to get fitter or he's finished. Jones doesn't look like he can run but same for him. Marking skills are not enough.
This news is a big dampener on the optimism caused by the new recruits. But it won't matter if only Cooney can produce some electricity again.

jeemak
06-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Shocking news, I had no idea either Jones or Grant had such poor running and endurance skills. Grant is built like the proverbial greyhound, looks like a long distance runner, I just presumed he had it. I held great hopes for a com=nsiderable improvement in his output this year but now I agree Stefoid, Grant needs to get fitter or he's finished. Jones doesn't look like he can run but same for him. Marking skills are not enough.
This news is a big dampener on the optimism caused by the new recruits. But it won't matter if only Cooney can produce some electricity again.

Maybe these guys are smashing the weights like others have stated. It's just the first week of December in a preseason that finishes at the end of February.

Let's not be too dramatic with it.

Pedro Sanchez
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Maybe these guys are smashing the weights like others have stated. It's just the first week of December in a preseason that finishes at the end of February.

Let's not be too dramatic with it.

Agreed. They're young key fwds and not budding midfielders. Hardly surprising to hear they're at the back of the running group. Pretty sure guys like Ablett (snr), Dunstall, Bereton and Lockett wouldnt have set any olympic records back in the day.

As long as they can create chances and kick straight then I'll be happy.

Eastdog
06-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Agreed. They're young key fwds and not budding midfielders. Hardly surprising to hear they're at the back of the running group. Pretty sure guys like Ablett (snr), Dunstall, Bereton and Lockett wouldnt have set any olympic records back in the day.

As long as they can create chances and kick straight then I'll be happy.

That's the most important thing in that they kick well and convert their chances. Who would you say will take the FF position in 2013? It may be just swapped around.

Pedro Sanchez
06-12-2012, 07:11 PM
That's the most important thing in that they kick well and convert their chances. Who would you say will take the FF position in 2013? It may be just swapped around.

I think they'll lump Cordy in the square and persevere... And potentially play Gia and him as a one two... But yeah, FF is an issue - we dont have a standout conventional guy to play this role ATM.

LongWait
06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I think they'll lump Cordy in the square and persevere... And potentially play Gia and him as a one two... But yeah, FF is an issue - we dont have a standout conventional guy to play this role ATM.

McCartney sees Stringer as primarily a full forward.

Eastdog
06-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Yeah the FF is a big issue for our club. Cordy when he played there this season wasn't that exciting up there but we may just have to persist with him. Our delivery into the forward line also needs to become better.

Ghost Dog
07-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Yeah the FF is a big issue for our club. Cordy when he played there this season wasn't that exciting up there but we may just have to persist with him. Our delivery into the forward line also needs to become better.

Cordy monstered a few blokes up there at FF in a few games and was great to see him throw the defender to one side and wrestle out an opponent. I remember during one game, a trainer came out and kept yelling at guys to stay out of his lead up run path. The delivery was often pretty awful and not sure the team adapted to having him in the side. Kept kicking the ball on top of his head or otherwise poor entry, many times. But yes, many times he just didn't take the grab.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Cordy monstered a few blokes up there at FF in a few games and was great to see him throw the defender to one side and wrestle out an opponent. I remember during one game, a trainer came out and kept yelling at guys to stay out of his lead up run path. The delivery was often pretty awful and not sure the team adapted to having him in the side. Kept kicking the ball on top of his head or otherwise poor entry, many times. But yes, many times he just didn't take the grab.

Delivery to Cordy and Jones as forwards is going to be critical and this year was poor. With the better kicking skills of the recruits and delivery from outside players under less pressure, we should be able to allow Cordy and Jones to experience some success and get their act together.

Twodogs
07-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I remember when Wallace first came in as coach he brought out the footballs very early and focused on our disposal skills. By memory it signalled a distinct improvement in our kicking skills that season.

I havent read through the whole thread but the increased disposal effiency in '97 was more to do with Brian Royal's coaching than anything. He was skills coach under Terry that preseason.

Studentlib
07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
I havent read through the whole thread but the increased disposal effiency in '97 was more to do with Brian Royal's coaching than anything. He was skills coach under Terry that preseason.

If you have a copy of Year of the Dog about the 96 season, you can see right at the end the players starting preseason for 97. They are doing handballing and kicking drills. This was a very different emphasis from the past IIRC. Another Wallace innovation?

Certainly a great change from the 60/70s when the local footscray papers would trumpet EJs return to training (Feb?) with his annual gimmick for a photo opportunity. One year it was wearing 3 heavy cotton or woolen tracksuits on really hot days and I remember one year he wrapped himself in plastic underneath the track suit to help sweat the festive season out.
We have come a long way.

KT31
08-12-2012, 12:33 AM
If you have a copy of Year of the Dog about the 96 season, you can see right at the end the players starting preseason for 97. They are doing handballing and kicking drills. This was a very different emphasis from the past IIRC. Another Wallace innovation?

Certainly a great change from the 60/70s when the local footscray papers would trumpet EJs return to training (Feb?) with his annual gimmick for a photo opportunity. One year it was wearing 3 heavy cotton or woolen tracksuits on really hot days and I remember one year he wrapped himself in plastic underneath the track suit to help sweat the festive season out.
We have come a long way.

And yet it has been the same result.

Studentlib
08-12-2012, 08:57 AM
After 50 years of following the team, I concur.

Eastdog
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
How has Cooney and Morris fared in pre season so far?

KT31
09-12-2012, 02:08 AM
How do the new recriuts size up etc on the track ?
From all reports Stringer is a bit of a standout.

boydogs
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
How do the new recriuts size up etc on the track ?
From all reports Stringer is a bit of a standout.

That's really pleasing to hear about a guy who has barely trained in 2 years.

Eastdog
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
That's really pleasing to hear about a guy who has barely trained in 2 years.

Stringer sounds like he is going to be very good for us. A very good pick up in the draft.

LostDoggy
21-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Monday's Pre-Christmas Training:

Everyone bar Campbell was involved from what I could see and Campbell was running constant laps so still a good sign.

Heaps of skill work at 3/4 pace both handball and kicking/marking drills

Jones looked great. Looked like he had some marking mojo back and in the goal kicking drills he was slotting them.

Higgins, Morris, Coons all moved well at pace and looked comfortable

Getting slightly worried about whether Cordy can make it as a forward - got monstered in the contested marking drills :(

AGM tonight was awesome as well:

2 Standing ovations for David S - lots of accolades all well deserved

The "why haven't we grown our membership base as well as <Melb/Rich/Norf> in the last 10 years was asked. The response that we need on-field success to stimulate long term growth is still probably fair. The assertion from Simon seemed to be that whilst Richmond has been crap since 1980, they have had sustained success periods much more recently than we (as have Norf in the 1999 period, so they can still tap into that. Sorry - that's simplistic - it was a smarter answer than that appears to be. Had some good stats about what programs they are implementing to grow our membership and supporter base

They also touched on the intro programs the club are running. Really cool stat was that of the auskick programs they are running in the west, 24 percent of kids identified the dogs as their club - next highest was filth at 11 percent but you can't win everything.....

The Lake trade was raised but not in great detail. The - we got Hrovat because of it was the answer and it was too feel good an evening for me to want to push the obvious - you should've got a first rounder. What's done is done it seems and this was rightly David's afternoon so I sat on my hands and seemingly so did everyone else.

Finally - loved Peter's response re the Footscray question. The doggie, doggie, doggie- woof, woof, woof guy from the cheer squad (sorry if you are reading this dude I don't know your name). Raised the whole WTF with the Western Bulldogs name - can we revisit Footscray? Here's Peter Gordon (roughly) in reply. Not a quote but its as close as I can remember in content/intent:

If I was sitting down there with you I would likely be asking the same question. But I'm not. In taking this role I was intimately vetted and the question was discussed in detail both with the board and with the AFL. At the moment, the AFL and board view which I share) is that Western Bulldogs is the most identifiable AFL brand for the Western growing region - the western region representing an identifiable threat to the AFL in that soccer could easily start to steal market share. The brand, Western Bulldogs, is in theory helping the club and the AFL to grow/protect that space and the figures seem to support that. If, I continue through the term as president, it is quantifiably no longer the case we would certainly be very prepared to revisit the situation and club name. In any case, we need to continue to celebrate the name Footscray and the history it entails.

Anyway enjoyed both events. DS will be sadly missed but Gordon looks like the right decision!

Merry (almost) Christmas Woofers!

Hotdog60
21-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the report Superdog,

I agree we can't go back to Footscray as much as the sentimentalist in me would like to. Unless we had 60,000 members guarantee from a name change I would think it would be the death null to the club to just be associate with one suburb. It is all about growth and market share and if the Western region is expanding go with it and try and grab what you can.

I live interstate but my roots were Footscray but on a National comp you would have more luck with on field success getting extra members from a Western Bulldogs than a Footscray.

I'm old school and was blooded to footy at the Western oval but I know that the old faithful need to let go of a name and embrace the future.

That of-course is mute if the Mayans have their way today.:D

bornadog
21-12-2012, 10:45 AM
The "why haven't we grown our membership base as well as <Melb/Rich/Norf> in the last 10 years was asked. The response that we need on-field success to stimulate long term growth is still probably fair. The assertion from Simon seemed to be that whilst Richmond has been crap since 1980, they have had sustained success periods much more recently than we

Thank you for the update Superdog. That answer from Simon just doesn't hold up. Richmond have only made something like two finals in 30 years. In the 90's we only missed the finals in 90,91, 93 and 95/96 and in the 2000s, we made 3 prelims plus played finals in 2000 and 2006 - so at least half the two decades we were in finals. Richmond just keep growing even though they don't play finals and don't have a suburb to pull members in.

Whilst I agree we need on field success and really need some premierships to reel in more supporters, there is a lot more we can do to keep the supporters we have. Over the past 20 years Melbourne's population has grown by over one and a half million with a huge majority in the west, yet we haven't grown our membership proportionally.

I think its the same old core members year after year with a few family members joining in.

Good luck to Peter, he has a tough gig.

G-Mo77
21-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah it does hold up. Richmond also won 10 premierships. Yeah they were a long time ago but their larger supporter base is their because of that. They didn't go away with their lack of success, they stayed in the woodwork like all good Tiger supporters. I'm not disagreeing with you before you jump down my throat but what Simon says (:D) has some merit.

boydogs
21-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm old school and was blooded to footy at the Western oval but I know that the old faithful need to let go of a name and embrace the future.

What do the Footscray people have against the rest of the west? Is there a rivalry of some sort I'm not aware of?

Twodogs
21-12-2012, 02:15 PM
What do the Footscray people have against the rest of the west? Is there a rivalry of some sort I'm not aware of?

We dont like Williamstown.

Footscray at the moment doesnt really exist. It's just one huge building site with a shopping strip in the middle. A lot of shops are closed either by the redeveloping or because they have moved elsewhere-even Centrelink has moved to the outskirts of the suburb. There are major building works going on at Footscray Market, Footscray railway station, The Coles carpark, both the old Forges sites, The Rising Sun hotel, The Buckingham hotel and Paisley st, Albert st, Buckley st.

I live in West Footscray and drop my daughter at school in Footscray every morning. It's a nighmare because everyday a different street is closed off. The council want to turn it from a shopping strip into more of a residential suburb. Hardly anyone lived in Footscray proper for years but now there are residential develoments going up everywhere.

Back in the day we had a reverse snobbishness thing going on and if you werent a local we could be a bit stand offish but these days so many people have moved to the district from suburbs all around Melbourne we've gotten a lot better at sharing. So long as you dont come from Williamstown. Did I mention we dont like Williamstown?

Cyberdoggie
21-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I think until we start winning premierships (note plural), i think we will have a much harder time keeping some supporters than all the other melbourne clubs.

We have a stigma attached to the club of one that is, let's say unsuccessful.
Every other club can look back on a successfull period in their existence, we have 1 moment of glory.

Bulldog4life
21-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I think until we start winning premierships (note plural), i think we will have a much harder time keeping some supporters than all the other melbourne clubs.

We have a stigma attached to the club of one that is, let's say unsuccessful.
Every other club can look back on a successfull period in their existence, we have 1 moment of glory.

St.Kilda?;)

F'scary
21-12-2012, 03:34 PM
We dont like Williamstown.

Footscray at the moment doesnt really exist. It's just one huge building site with a shopping strip in the middle. A lot of shops are closed either by the redeveloping or because they have moved elsewhere-even Centrelink has moved to the outskirts of the suburb. There are major building works going on at Footscray Market, Footscray railway station, The Coles carpark, both the old Forges sites, The Rising Sun hotel, The Buckingham hotel and Paisley st, Albert st, Buckley st.

I live in West Footscray and drop my daughter at school in Footscray every morning. It's a nighmare because everyday a different street is closed off. The council want to turn it from a shopping strip into more of a residential suburb. Hardly anyone lived in Footscray proper for years but now there are residential develoments going up everywhere.

Back in the day we had a reverse snobbishness thing going on and if you werent a local we could be a bit stand offish but these days so many people have moved to the district from suburbs all around Melbourne we've gotten a lot better at sharing. So long as you dont come from Williamstown. Did I mention we dont like Williamstown?

I would not credit the Council with knowing what it is doing.

Twodogs
21-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I would not credit the Council with knowing what it is doing.

I dont think it was the council's idea.

LostDoggy
22-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah it does hold up. Richmond also won 10 premierships. Yeah they were a long time ago but their larger supporter base is their because of that.

And their song - which rocks as much as their club stinks.

Two things forgot to add from the training:

Lower looked excellent and will add class out of half back. He was playing a defence role in the contested drills and looked like a walk up start to our best defensive squad.

They talked up Prudden - clearly delighted to have pulled him out of the bag and Mccartney was very clear in the intro's he believes he'll be a player. Take out of that what you will but others at the AGM in the know were talking him up as well.

Remi Moses
22-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the report Superdog,

I agree we can't go back to Footscray as much as the sentimentalist in me would like to. Unless we had 60,000 members guarantee from a name change I would think it would be the death null to the club to just be associate with one suburb. It is all about growth and market share and if the Western region is expanding go with it and try and grab what you can.

I live interstate but my roots were Footscray but on a National comp you would have more luck with on field success getting extra members from a Western Bulldogs than a Footscray.

That of-course is mute if the Mayans have their way today.:D

I agree . We just want a bloody flag regardless of the name.
Just don't care for the issue to be truthful.

Eastdog
23-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Ultimately more support comes from winning premierships and they will come from all over and not one particular region. If we had success like Hawthorn in the 80s we may very well had of stayed as Footscray.

LostDoggy
24-12-2012, 12:55 AM
And their song - which rocks as much as their club stinks.

Two things forgot to add from the training:

Lower looked excellent and will add class out of half back. He was playing a defence role in the contested drills and looked like a walk up start to our best defensive squad.

They talked up Prudden - clearly delighted to have pulled him out of the bag and Mccartney was very clear in the intro's he believes he'll be a player. Take out of that what you will but others at the AGM in the know were talking him up as well.

Appreciate the training up date Super D. Quite excited to get Lower in as a ready to impact player, he will add a fair bit in terms of aggression over the ball and against the opponent.

stefoid
28-12-2012, 08:33 PM
On the membership base thing, I think its pretty obvious that Footscray and to a certain extent, surrounding suburbs like Sunshine, etc... have attracted a large Asian immigrant population from the 80s onwards, and they dont follow Aussie rules.

Just the way it is, there isnt too much the club can do about that.

I think (cant say for sure) that Asians in general prefer soccer and basketbal to aussie rules? Anyone of Asian background can confirm that?

If we had an asian super-star or two on the team it would probably do a lot to atttract local members of the asian community.

F'scary
28-12-2012, 10:18 PM
On the membership base thing, I think its pretty obvious that Footscray and to a certain extent, surrounding suburbs like Sunshine, etc... have attracted a large Asian immigrant population from the 80s onwards, and they dont follow Aussie rules.

Just the way it is, there isnt too much the club can do about that.

I think (cant say for sure) that Asians in general prefer soccer and basketbal to aussie rules? Anyone of Asian background can confirm that?

If we had an asian super-star or two on the team it would probably do a lot to atttract local members of the asian community.

Waiting in the wings, we have The Dictator, Lin Jong-il. He could well be a 200 gamer with us I think. His background is Taiwanese. But maybe people from Vietnam and other parts of China (the main countries of origin for immigrants to Melbourne's western suburbs from Asia) and their children won't see much in it in the same way that you wouldn't expect a Swede to start following AFL because there was a Norwegian in one of the teams.

Eastdog
07-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Saw some photos on our Facebook page of training today and its great to see Dale Morris running around.

The Adelaide Connection
07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Saw some photos on our Facebook page of training today and its great to see Dale Morris running around.

Yeah I saw this on the Instagram feed, great to see.

They also posted a shot with a caption mentioning that Tutt, Higgins and Gia were leading the running drills. Whether this is just a 'snapshot' of that particular fleeting moment in time, or a general wrap of the drills for the day I am not sure, but I did get a little excited at the thought of a Higgins that isn't hobbling around like he is on stilts in a field of pot holes.

Can't wait for the wrap from those that were there.

Ozza
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Not that its unexpected whatsoever, but a mate of mine was out jogging on Christmas morning and ran past Matty Boyd who was also out pounding the pavement. He sees Boyd on the same track from time to time, and thought Boydy was looking 'massive' (muscled up - not heavy) at the moment.

Eastdog
07-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Not that its unexpected whatsoever, but a mate of mine was out jogging on Christmas morning and ran past Matty Boyd who was also out pounding the pavement. He sees Boyd on the same track from time to time, and thought Boydy was looking 'massive' (muscled up - not heavy) at the moment.

Where was this Ozza?

The Adelaide Connection
07-01-2013, 06:14 PM

I know he may not have literally been on pavement, but I am surprised that they let them run on anything aside proper tracks or grass. I have seen the Crows/Power squads (as well as quite a few SANFL teams) out on runs and they definitely hit pavement too.

I had to stop running on pavement after I started getting shin splints and having looked into it it can cause a huge range of problems. Footballers are not exactly light either.

Ghost Dog
08-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Where was this Ozza?

I think Boydy lives near Carnegie or Murumbeena as a publican used to claim he lived next to him around there.

Eastdog
08-01-2013, 01:09 AM
I think Boydy lives near Carnegie or Murumbeena as a publican used to claim he lived next to him around there.

I know he was recruited from the south-eastern suburbs so he may still live there most likely.

Ozza
08-01-2013, 09:55 AM

My mate lives in Hughesdale so that makes sense. Not sure which track exactly they were on - don't know the area well.

Mofra
08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
I went for a bike ride Christmas morning and rode past Crossy in Footscray Park who was running on pavement.
Looking very fit which is expected of Crossy so didn't mention anything at the time.

The Underdog
08-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I went for a bike ride Christmas morning and rode past Crossy in Footscray Park who was running on pavement.
Looking very fit which is expected of Crossy so didn't mention anything at the time.

Don't suppose he looked like he'd gained some pace? Hardly surprising that Boyd and Cross are spotted running on Xmas day. It's probably more surprising when someone spots them not training.
For any skill deficiencies they may have these guys are up there with Scott West as guys who absolutely drained everything they could out of an AFL career.

lemmon
08-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Saw them as well, impressive size on Clay and Libba

Cyberdoggie
08-01-2013, 01:45 PM
My mate lives in Hughesdale so that makes sense. Not sure which track exactly they were on - don't know the area well.

I've spotted him at the Coles in Brandon Park Mulgrave a couple of times. I think he has family around there.

Mofra
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Don't suppose he looked like he'd gained some pace? Hardly surprising that Boyd and Cross are spotted running on Xmas day. It's probably more surprising when someone spots them not training.
Don't know about pace - to be honest I was surprised to see him jogging, as I thought these days players tend to focus on repeat effort style at high intensity style running over steady state cardio.

jeemak
08-01-2013, 02:33 PM
I've spotted him at the Coles in Brandon Park Mulgrave a couple of times. I think he has family around there.

My old stomping ground!

I saw him there a couple of years back as well. He's an ex-Mazenod student so it would follow his family would be close by....................

BornInDroopSt'54
08-01-2013, 03:28 PM
My old stomping ground!

I saw him there a couple of years back as well. He's an ex-Mazenod student so it would follow his family would be close by....................

I lived in that carpark....before it was a carpark. I also met Boydie a few years back at Box Hill Golf Club, with Aker and Hughsey the comedian. I helped Boyd look for his wayward, slice side ball. He was apologetic about the club's lack of success at the time and professed a desire to make amends.

Ozza
08-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Don't know about pace - to be honest I was surprised to see him jogging, as I thought these days players tend to focus on repeat effort style at high intensity style running over steady state cardio.

I'm not sure exactly what the dogs do - but I recall when a mate played for North - that they were all given programmes to follow while they were on holidays. From memory - there was a set amount of Km's to cover, and they took the GPS/Heart rate things home with them so that the info could be recorded and it was confirmed they did the work while away. It wasn't a huge training load - but just some runs that league footballers could do pretty easily.

w3design
08-01-2013, 04:33 PM
The only surprising thing about the news that Boyd was out running on Xmas day is that Cross wasn't alongside him.

Cyberdoggie
08-01-2013, 05:13 PM
The only surprising thing about the news that Boyd was out running on Xmas day is that Cross wasn't alongside him.

I felt like going for a run on xmas day, but that was because we had 25 people over and my wife is a xmas nazi!

DragzLS1
10-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I felt like going for a run on xmas day, but that was because we had 25 people over and my wife is a xmas nazi!

hahahaha nice!

Boydy and Cross running on xmas day.. Really, they set the bar soo high im not sure if anybody else can reach it! Love these guys!

Dazza
13-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Yeah he lives in that area. I've seen him at Murrumbeena park playing the beep test out of his car stereo while he ran with a weighted backpack on a couple of years ago.

I was sitting there drinking piss thinking this guys a lunatic before I clued on to who it was.

Cyberdoggie
14-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah he lives in that area. I've seen him at Murrumbeena park playing the beep test out of his car stereo while he ran with a weighted backpack on a couple of years ago.

I was sitting there drinking piss thinking this guys a lunatic before I clued on to who it was.

That's dedication for you. Beep test with backpack full of weights on.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Just looking at the new video up on the club's website, you can see that Fletcher Roberts has put on some more size. He looks in pretty good physical condition, even when standing amongst some of the bigger guys. Talia looks impressive, too.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Players%20and%20Footy%20Staff/photodayhero.jpg

craigsahibee
19-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Gold :D

Mofra
21-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Saw Roughie at the Ballarat Beer festival on Saturday, have no idea what he was doing there but he wasn't drinking.

He did have a long conversation with a midget, I felt like a bastard for having a small giggle.

DragzLS1
21-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Saw Roughie at the Ballarat Beer festival on Saturday, have no idea what he was doing there but he wasn't drinking.

He did have a long conversation with a midget, I felt like a bastard for having a small giggle.

Most people would look like a midget next to Roughy though :p

And Talia has really put on some size imo! Looks impressive! Fletcher Roberts has bulked up a little aswell which is a good sign ;)

MrMahatma
22-01-2013, 07:52 PM
All the rhetoric is working on size and stamina. Sounds good to me.

The glass is half full for me at the moment. No doubt.

F'scary
24-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Went to Whitten Oval yesterday morning. Saw some of the training from the cafe and the terrace. The only thing that bothered me a bit was that I saw what looked like the whole group in tight formation do one last 'wind down' jog around the boundary. But Cooney was just walking behind. He was certainly sweating hard like he had been fully participating. Probably nothing in it - it just catches your eye because of his knee injury history.

Afterwards, a lot of the players came through the cafe, some stopped & got something to eat (and I saw only healthy choices!).

I was taken aback by the size of Stringer who is built like an ogre. He went through to the carpark in conversation with Bob Murphy. Both were having a good chuckle over something. It seemed to be about a training incident because Stringer slapped his calf and did a 'what was that about?' gesture.

Talia has also developed a lot physically. He looked Round 1 ready to me.

A lot of the new recruits seemed to congregate in the cafe. Hrovat was sitting chatting with Hunter. Johannisen walked by and they called out to him "JJ" and he came over.

I noted that both Hrovat and JJ move in an especially quick and supple way. Nothing awkward in their movement and I doubt they could do anything slowly from what I saw. They both looked like they could juggle and walk and hold a conversation all at the same time.

Pearce was there and appeared to be eating an extra healthy snack. Looked like there was corn kernals, mung bean sprouts, shredded carrot and sliced cherry tomatoes.

Hunter and Pearce both have much stronger physiques than I had realised. Pearce looked right for more game time in 2013, very determined looking young bloke and it looked to me as though Hunter is up to senior footy straight away as well - he is very powerfully built in the upper torso.

Saw Clay Smith as well in the cafe. Very intense eyes. I would not want to get between him and the football.

All in all, the mood at the place was up beat and happy, the players all looked like they are friends and enjoy working hard as professional athletes.

I recommend a visit to the cafe on a week day morning to any supporters who can make the time. The food is excellent standard cafe / bistro fare with a range of prices. There are lots of staff and they are very friendly. Children are obviously welcome and there are plenty of those Ikea high chairs available for the little ones. The lay-out is very spacious, so if you are there without children, don't worry, it's pretty easy to get a table way way away from anyone else's. The cafe was very well patronised when I was there but has heaps of tables so plenty of room for everyone.

Maddog37
24-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks Fscary. Love reading bits and pieces like that.

Slightly worried about your stalking tendencies though.........:D

Go_Dogs
24-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Cheers F'Scary, most appreciated. Somewhat surprised by the comments on Hunters size but seems like all the new recruits are benefitting from their programs in the gym.

F'scary
24-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Cheers F'Scary, most appreciated. Somewhat surprised by the comments on Hunters size but seems like all the new recruits are benefitting from their programs in the gym.

Surprised me a bit too. His build in the chest & neck is naturally quite thick set imo. Plenty to develop there in the gym. Very strong looking natural physique. I suspect a few body builders would kill for his basic frame.

AndrewP6
24-01-2013, 12:51 PM
So we can gather that Pearce eats boring lunches. Healthy, but boring! Corn, tomato, carrots and mung beans...

Cyberdoggie
24-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks Fscary. Love reading bits and pieces like that.

Slightly worried about your stalking tendencies though.........:D

Hehe, yeah if we start hearing reports of what was found in their rubbish then there could be cause for concern! :p

Greystache
24-01-2013, 07:35 PM
I went down to training this morning, there was 2 sessions- Senior players trained from 9.30 till about 11am and the first and second year players trained from 10.30 till about 12.30pm.

Interestingly Clay Smith trained with the senior group and JJ with the young group.

I'll add a bit more later but the noticeable players were

Goodes- You wouldn't recognise him if he wasn't wearing a number, he's lost a stack of weight, runs effortlessly, uses the ball well, and looks like one of the senior players. Mark him down for round one.

Jones- Struggled badly in the running drills finishing a distant second last on almost all occasions. Also copped a bit of physicality in some making drills and seems to back right off after that.

Grant- Was the only player Jones beat in the running.

Minson- Looks really fit, was running really well.

Macrae- I like the look of him, has a real confidence about him, always happy to have the ball in his hands in traffic.

Go_Dogs
24-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Interesting on Jones, particularly after the endorsement from Andy in the recent BulldogsTV episode. He and Grant being so far off the pace after 5 & 6 years respectively in the running drills is a massive concern.

Is there any chance they're performing so poorly in the running because of significant gym loads?

Increasingly excited by Clay Smith.

Greystache
24-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Interesting on Jones, particularly after the endorsement from Andy in the recent BulldogsTV episode. He and Grant being so far off the pace after 5 & 6 years respectively in the running drills is a massive concern.

Is there any chance they're performing so poorly in the running because of significant gym loads?

It could well be, one day isn't much of a sample size, but Roughead, Cordy, and Minson were way ahead of them and you'd expect they'd have similar training loads.

Pedro Sanchez
24-01-2013, 09:32 PM
It could well be, one day isn't much of a sample size, but Roughead, Cordy, and Minson were way ahead of them and you'd expect they'd have similar training loads.

Don't have an issue with two upcoming and key forwards not standing out in running drills. Their roles are to be marking targets, kick goals and have a presence in the forward line where hopefully they crash packs and open up space for the smaller goalsneaks / mids.

Greystache
24-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Don't have an issue with two upcoming and key forwards not standing out in running drills. Their roles are to be marking targets, kick goals and have a presence in the forward line where hopefully they crash packs and open up space for the smaller goalsneaks / mids.

I was referencing their performance against their equivalent players. Minson, Roughead, Cordy, Markovic, and Austin were miles ahead of both of them. Grant is never going to be a pack crashing, making forward with presence, he simply doesn't have the capacity.

Bulldog Revolution
24-01-2013, 10:16 PM

They might have had a heavy week vs some that had lighter weeks

We can read to much into it at times, but that said, it might end up telling the story

Remi Moses
24-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Also require significance fitness to put forward pressure on.
This is a big requirement in modern football

Greystache
25-01-2013, 12:37 PM
A bit more on yesterday

- Cooney, Higgins, and Morris all did the full session. Higgins looks in great shape and was moving really nicely, especially in the full ground drill where the players finished with a shot at goal on the run.

Wallis- Looks to have put on a few more kg's, looks pretty close to the size of Boyd at the moment.

Hunter- Is very well built for such a young kid, looks to have huge upside.

Lower- Looks a classy player when he gets the footy

Tom Young- Looks a very ordinary prospect, not a great athlete and stood out in the decision making drill for all the wrong reasons.

Smith- Kicking doesn't look to have improved much but you can clearly see the other players don't want to get hit by him. He will monster some experienced players this year. He looks like he's 25, and boy does the coach love him!

Jong- Doesn't look any taller to me. Still gives every contest his all and doesn't let anything get in his way. I genuinely believe he's going to be a very good player long term.

Again I couldn't get over how fit Minson looks.

Overall the senior group was a bit sloppy and the coach wasn't happy. He said that when a few players make mistakes rather than re-focus and ensure they don't do it next time there is a propensity to drop their heads which has a flow on effect to other players. Eg Roughead missed a sitter running into goal, he was then followed by Jones and Grant missing from 10m out running into an open goal. It was only when Higgins slotted his kick from 40m out on an angle the string of 6 consecutive misses was broken.

He said it's part of the maturing process for young players

F'scary
25-01-2013, 12:50 PM
A bit more on yesterday

Overall the senior group was a bit sloppy and the coach wasn't happy. He said that when a few players make mistakes rather than re-focus and ensure they don't do it next time there is a propensity to drop their heads which has a flow on effect to other players. Eg Roughead missed a sitter running into goal, he was then followed by Jones and Grant missing from 10m out running into an open goal. It was only when Higgins slotted his kick from 40m out on an angle the string of 6 consecutive misses was broken.

He said it's part of the maturing process for young players

Spot on Macca! That behaviour was just so evident in our poor second half of the season. Every match, earlier and earlier you would see the heads drop after something like a missed sitter or a bad turnover. Definitely a major thing to work on. Good coaching imo.

Go_Dogs
25-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Wallis- Looks to have put on a few more kg's, looks pretty close to the size of Boyd at the moment.

Hunter- Is very well built for such a young kid, looks to have huge upside.

Lower- Looks a classy player when he gets the footy

Tom Young- Looks a very ordinary prospect, not a great athlete and stood out in the decision making drill for all the wrong reasons.

Smith- Kicking doesn't look to have improved much but you can clearly see the other players don't want to get hit by him. He will monster some experienced players this year. He looks like he's 25, and boy does the coach love him!

Thanks GS, great report. Really pleased to hear about Wallis looking big and strong. He's going to become a very important and elite player for us over the coming years and I won't be surprised to see him finish the year as one of our highest possession winners. He'll be an AA before his career is over.

The reports on Hunter are very pleasing, it's no secret I liked him a lot based on what I saw in 2012 but it seems he's a genuine chance to play some games this year. I wonder if Hunter forward also allows Dahl more midfield minutes? Hope we see Lachy in the NAB Cup.

Also pleasing to read about Lower. I think he has the ability to become a consistent, reliable user of the ball although the stats from Freo paint a different picture. I feel he was forced to do a bulk of heavy lifting there, whereas we won't quite require as much grunt work from him. He was always pretty clean user at Norwood and with continuity at AFL level I think he'll continue to improve and surprise a few people (and cause much frustration from Freo supporters towards their management!).

I have massive concerns over Young based on all the reports. He didn't cost much, but I don't really give him any chance of making it based on what I've read. Possibly a bit harsh, but he doesn't seem to have any elite skills and I'm not sure he can develop one. What's he like in the contested drills putting his body in?

I can't get enough of Smith. His determination and intensity is great and between him and Wallis we have two future leaders of this club who'll drag their teammates over the line. Everyone will want to go into battle with these guys.

Minson could yet improve again this year, seems his health and injury concerns are finally behind him and I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes around the ground and resting forward if he's a bit more mobile and able to make himself more useful around the ground.

Great read, cheers.

Greystache
25-01-2013, 01:34 PM
I can't get enough of Smith. His determination and intensity is great and between him and Wallis we have two future leaders of this club who'll drag their teammates over the line. Everyone will want to go into battle with these guys.

It's funny you mention those two and leadership. I was thinking about it yesterday, while most supporters think it's a fait accompli Wallis will be captain of the generation coming through, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Smith go past him. He's a bright kid who just needs a little polish, but the way he attacks everything is a real captaincy trait. He's the sort of guy people can't help but follow.

Mofra
25-01-2013, 03:49 PM
It's funny you mention those two and leadership. I was thinking about it yesterday, while most supporters think it's a fait accompli Wallis will be captain of the generation coming through, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Smith go past him. He's a bright kid who just needs a little polish, but the way he attacks everything is a real captaincy trait. He's the sort of guy people can't help but follow.
The only problem is he looks like he just climbed out of an asylum after eating his way through 3 foot of reinforced concrete. He looks freaking mental, and despite being ~179cm or so I would expect him to intimidate oppositon players in coming years.

Can we handle the face of the club being so scary to look at :D

Mantis
25-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Can we handle the face of the club being so scary to look at :D

It worked for Geelong with Lingy being the main man.... And no-one can look that bad could they?

BTW thanks for the reports... Some positive news in there.

Hotdog60
25-01-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't know about everyone else but with all the reports (thanks guys) and the media explosion on the Doggy site I'm getting all tingly and very positive about the up and coming season.

I'm so fired up I think we'll play finals. (finish in the eight).:D

The latest video on the Dogs site shows the enthusiasm that the new blokes are bring to the club.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-01-2013, 08:34 PM
I don't know about everyone else but with all the reports (thanks guys) and the media explosion on the Doggy site I'm getting all tingly and very positive about the up and coming season.

I'm so fired up I think we'll play finals. (finish in the eight).:D

The latest video on the Dogs site shows the enthusiasm that the new blokes are bring to the club.

Agreed, can't wait for the team to strut their stuff. I'm gonna PT from Frankston for training this Friday at 9:30. I'll see if I can tell the diff between Stevens and Lower and remember Talia's first name rather than his bro's.
My expectations for the season are way more sober than your's though; I expect bottom four but with a bullet courtesy of the improvement in the youngies. I have a feeling Liam Picken will go to another level this year too. I think we're still a bit short on personnel but at least bottom four'll get us some good picks at the next draft which is apparently a good one. After our last effort I have real faith in our recruiters to do the job.

ledge
25-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Agreed, can't wait for the team to strut their stuff. I'm gonna PT from Frankston for training this Friday at 9:30. I'll see if I can tell the diff between Stevens and Lower and remember Talia's first name rather than his bro's.
My expectations for the season are way more sober than your's though; I expect bottom four but with a bullet courtesy of the improvement in the youngies. I have a feeling Liam Picken will go to another level this year too. I think we're still a bit short on personnel but at least bottom four'll get us some good picks at the next draft which is apparently a good one. After our last effort I have real faith in our recruiters to do the job.

I'm more optimistic I'm thinking just out of the 8, got some great kids who will do better than some of us think.

GVGjr
26-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm more optimistic I'm thinking just out of the 8, got some great kids who will do better than some of us think.

I'd like to be able to back you on this but just out of the 8 is too high for me.

I'd be happy with having 4 or 5 teams lower than us on the ladder.

The big questions are around what value Stevens, Lower and Young can give the side and if we can keep developing the younger guys especially guys like Jones and Roughead.

I'm reasonably confident with what Stevens and Lower can bring us. Young might be able to play some roles for us but it all comes to developing a couple of taller players.

ledge
26-01-2013, 11:44 AM
I'd like to be able to back you on this but just out of the 8 is too high for me.

The big questions are around what value Stevens, Lower and Young can give the side and if we can keep developing the younger guys especially guys like Jones and Roughead.

I'm reasonably confident with what Stevens and Lower can bring us. Young might be able to play some roles for us but it all comes to developing a couple of taller players.

Yes I'm worried about Jones and Grant not coming on but I think Stringer will be a great help in giving Jones some relief on being the only tall down there.

BornInDroopSt'54
26-01-2013, 11:46 AM

Agreed its all about the development timeline. We need so many to develop that conservatively you'd have to think a jump up the ladder will take a couple of seasons. The good news is that time is on our side.

Bulldog4life
26-01-2013, 12:26 PM
I have massive concerns over Young based on all the reports. He didn't cost much, but I don't really give him any chance of making it based on what I've read. Possibly a bit harsh, but he doesn't seem to have any elite skills and I'm not sure he can develop one. What's he like in the contested drills putting his body in?

On a positive note he is only young...excuse the pun...not turning 21 till April. A good size at 191cm...6ft 3 inches. Also to win Collingwood's VFL B & F award at 17 years old must mean he has got some talent to work with. Will be interesting to see how he goes this year.

GVGjr
27-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Tom Campbell is featured on the clubs website talking about training etc and he does look a lot fitter than 12 months. Seems to have shed a few KG which I hope translates to better mobility for him.

I was never real confident about what he offers us but if we assume Roughead will be a defender then we have just 3 ruckman on the list in Minson, Campbell and Cordy.
They become an important group of us and Campbell and Cordy must improve on last years efforts.

Cyberdoggie
27-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Tom Campbell is featured on the clubs website talking about training etc and he does look a lot fitter than 12 months. Seems to have shed a few KG which I hope translates to better mobility for him.

I was never real confident about what he offers us but if we assume Roughead will be a defender then we have just 3 ruckman on the list in Minson, Campbell and Cordy.
They become an important group of us and Campbell and Cordy must improve on last years efforts.

I think a lot of clubs are going this way instead of clogging the list with potential young rucks that may not have a role in today's game.

It's a risk if you have injuries but having more options for mids and depth seems to be more important.

Also worth noting that a lot of good ruckmen have come from the rookie list so there's hope for him yet.
I think Campbell really struggled with the pace of the game and just wasn't fit enough last year. He was a totally different player pre-season and on smaller VFL grounds in heavy conditions. Should see a big improvement in him this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-01-2013, 03:35 PM

Hard to disagree with the above, but I think Campbell did reasonably well in his first year under an AFL program. Most young rucks look horrible until that 22-26 age group, and whilst there's a lot of work for him to do, there's a bit to work with. Too early to call for mine, but at his age and with his limited experience he's doing better than a lot of others.

stefoid
27-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Cambell can make a half-decent fist of the ruck, and has the most important skill for a ruckman, IMO - he can mark.

dogman
30-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Went down this morning for an hour. At that time it was only the forwards on the ground.
Murphy, Dahl, Hunter, Stringer, Hrovat, Gia, higgins, Redpath, Grant, Jones, Roberts, Addison and Dickson.
Cordy wasn't our there and Williams was doing a seperate program with Hansen.

The boys looked sharp and ready. Kicking looks alot better, then previous.

Jones actually looks alot fitter, bigger and more confident. Impressed the most today. (I have bagged him the past, so credit to where credit is due). He did some contested marking with Redpath and completely destroyed him. They did some running later in the session and he also did alot better then previously.

Stringer has great hands and kick but his running is a worry. If he can improve this, he will do some damage this year. Just looks sore when he runs and speed looks to be an issue too. He did some contested marking with Roberts and dominated.

Hrovat also impressed and I believe will play this year. Looks to be a great kick too.

Dickson looked lively and alot fitter too.

LostDoggy
30-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks dogman, always appreciate the update!

bornadog
30-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Went down this morning for an hour. At that time it was only the forwards on the ground.
Murphy, Dahl, Hunter, Stringer, Hrovat, Gia, higgins, Redpath, Grant, Jones, Roberts, Addison and Dickson.
Cordy wasn't our there and Williams was doing a seperate program with Hansen.

The boys looked sharp and ready. Kicking looks alot better, then previous.

Jones actually looks alot fitter, bigger and more confident. Impressed the most today. (I have bagged him the past, so credit to where credit is due). He did some contested marking with Redpath and completely destroyed him. They did some running later in the session and he also did alot better then previously.

Stringer has great hands and kick but his running is a worry. If he can improve this, he will do some damage this year. Just looks sore when he runs and speed looks to be an issue too. He did some contested marking with Roberts and dominated.

Hrovat also impressed and I believe will play this year. Looks to be a great kick too.

Dickson looked lively and alot fitter too.

Thanks Dogman, good to hear kicking is looking better. Of course the test comes when you have to kick under pressure in a game. If you can do it at training, then you should be able to in a game - in theory of course;)

Go_Dogs
30-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the report dogman, much appreciated.

Really interested to see how Jones goes in season proper as there have been a number of conflicting reports about his progress over summer.

Also interesting Cordy wasn't out there. Hopefully it's a load management thing rather than an injury concern.

LostDoggy
30-01-2013, 07:12 PM

Really interested to see how Jones goes in season proper as there have been a number of conflicting reports about his progress over summer.

Also interesting Cordy wasn't out there. Hopefully it's a load management thing rather than an injury concern.

Exactly what I was thinking re Jones. Redpath is a big unit so that's good to hear, lets hope the big hairy pussy cat Mooney is sorting him out with body position and ball drop work, tends to run under the ball a fair bit. Big scope for improvement considering 2011 he was 5th for contested marking.

boydogs
30-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Had you seen him run before?

Interested to know whether he has improved at all since he was drafted

The Pie Man
31-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Or if it's just the forwards, maybe a change in direction for Ayce - which would please me

dogman
31-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Had you seen him run before?

Interested to know whether he has improved at all since he was drafted

I think his Gait has improved but just looks like he is in pain when he runs. Not sure if he is or not but looks that way. Its more evident when he's running between 40% to 60% pace. When he is going close to 100% he doesn't look too bad.

I believe he will be spending 90% of the time in the forward line. Alot of the time it will be sprints and leads, so it will suit his current capabilities.

bornadog
31-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I think his Gait has improved but just looks like he is in pain when he runs. Not sure if he is or not but looks that way. Its more evident when he's running between 40% to 60% pace. When he is going close to 100% he doesn't look too bad.

I believe he will be spending 90% of the time in the forward line. Alot of the time it will be sprints and leads, so it will suit his current capabilities.

Hope he can chase when the ball is in the hands of the opposition backman.

mjp
31-01-2013, 08:47 PM

I was pretty bullish last year and believed that with the quality still in our midfield we would be OK. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

In 2012 we didn't really have a method to move the ball and hence when we won possession we couldn't score. I need to see us consistently kick 3-4 goals per quarter throughout the pre-season in order to project anything higher than a smidgen above GWS.

Bulldog Joe
31-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Having been away for a while i have been trying to glean as much as I can from what has been posted.

There seems to be plenty of good news and I really want to feel positive.

I seem to have reached a point of apprehensive excitement, where I feel we could be really competitive, but not sure if we can translate that to wins.

Dazza
31-01-2013, 09:22 PM
We are probably only going to be starting as favourites in 3-5 matches this year.

I'm not expecting too much TBH.

Just hoping to see improvement. Especially from the taller guys who have been around for a while now. The way I see it... they either make it as AFL players (best 22 every week) and we start to improve very quickly. Or they don't and we are buggered for years to come.

boydogs
31-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Very interesting, thanks for the info :)

Cyberdoggie
01-02-2013, 12:52 AM
In 2012 we didn't really have a method to move the ball and hence when we won possession we couldn't score. I need to see us consistently kick 3-4 goals per quarter throughout the pre-season in order to project anything higher than a smidgen above GWS.

That's the problem isn't it.
How do we move the ball. I guess our fate rests in the hands of Murphy, JJ, Wood and Pearce how are our running creative half backs, yet rumours are that Murphy will be moving forward.

Last year we were in-experienced up forward, this year we will be in-experienced down back. No Lake, Murphy, Williams, Hargrave, only Morris who hasn't played in over a year.

I think we have made some good moves but i'm worried it will take us a while to adjust.

jeemak
01-02-2013, 02:09 AM
How do we move the ball. I guess our fate rests in the hands of Murphy, JJ, Wood and Pearce how are our running creative half backs, yet rumours are that Murphy will be moving forward.

Last year we were in-experienced up forward, this year we will be in-experienced down back. No Lake, Murphy, Williams, Hargrave, only Morris who hasn't played in over a year.

I think we have made some good moves but i'm worried it will take us a while to adjust.

Quick ball movement across the ground is an holistic issue for us. We need our forwards to be able to put pressure on rebounding opposition defenders, so they give second rate ball to their midfielders which allows us to pressure the kick in to their forward line, making it easier for our defenders to gain control and clear the ball easier.

Being able to clear the ball easily and cleanly from defense is where it all starts from, but you also need your midfielders that have just applied a pressure act to be capable of spreading and providing a clear option for the defenders to kick to.

For me it all comes down to getting the entire list fitter, specifically for the positions they're going to play within. Last year we had players that could provide value one way or another, but not both. We'll only improve our ball movement when defensive efforts can be immediately followed up by offensive movements by all players across the ground or vice versa.

Obviously there's a skill issue we need to address, though that's an area that will benefit from fitness and a few more preseasons of practice.

always right
01-02-2013, 08:47 AM

No rumour....the coachhas stated that he intends on playing both Murphy and Williams up forward. whether our backline is able to cover Murphy's loss back there will dictate whether McCartney can persist with Murphy in attack.

Dancin' Douggy
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
No rumour....the coachhas stated that he intends on playing both Murphy and Williams up forward. whether our backline is able to cover Murphy's loss back there will dictate whether McCartney can persist with Murphy in attack.

With Murphy and Williams moving forward I'd like to see how Grant and Jones go as defenders.
Grant on a half back Flank and Jones at CHB.
Crazy enough to work?

At least we won't have to go through the agony of watching them having set shots at goal.

Eastdog
01-02-2013, 12:45 PM
With Murphy and Williams moving forward I'd like to see how Grant and Jones go as defenders.
Crazy enough to work?

At least we won't have to go through the agony of watching them having set shots at goal.

It would certainly be a big change from what Grant and Jones are used to.

always right
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Crazy enough to work?

The coach has said he wants Williams up forward to take some pressure off Jones. No plan to move Jones into defence.

Dazza
01-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I thought Williams was very good when put forward last year. He lead well and used the ball well going into the forward 50.

If his body holds up I think he'll have a great year.

If you add Murphy to the half forward line our ball use into the 50 improves further so I'm all for it.

For it to work we'd need JJ to continue his improvement and probably Goodes to show he's AFL capable straight away (which it seems he is)

bornadog
01-02-2013, 06:39 PM
The coach has said he wants Williams up forward to take some pressure off Jones. No plan to move Jones into defence.

I thought Williams was very good when put forward last year. He lead well and used the ball well going into the forward 50.

If his body holds up I think he'll have a great year.

If you add Murphy to the half forward line our ball use into the 50 improves further so I'm all for it.

For it to work we'd need JJ to continue his improvement and probably Goodes to show he's AFL capable straight away (which it seems he is)

I can't see the point in putting Williams into the forward line. He is only 26 years old and could play CHB another 4 years at least (if his body holds up). He is a proven CHB and has shown he can play that role. Why are we taking out all the experience from the back line? I can understand Murphy, but Williams.

SlimPickens
01-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I can't see the point in putting Williams into the forward line. He is only 26 years old and could play CHB another 4 years at least (if his body holds up). He is a proven CHB and has shown he can play that role. Why are we taking out all the experience from the back line? I can understand Murphy, but Williams.

Maybe what you have in brackets is the key to the MC's possible use of Williams?

BornInDroopSt'54
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM

Williams is fast on the lead, is athletic, has a good work ethic and stamina so can lead and present regularly like a good CHF needs to. He has a good kicking action and has more tricks than he has yet to display. Remember the reports of him being Koutaesque with some of his training tricks when he first was with us, of being able to scoop the ball up on the turn? I have a feeling he's been shackled a bit by the need to learn the game. as an ex rugby player, as a backman who needs to be a nullifier before being creative. I think he could be better suited to CHF. CErtainly the experience of a new role must help his development as an AFL player, even if he ends up as a CHB.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
I PT'd from Frankston to training today and got there at the end of the running drills about an hour in. There were two groups doing different activities, the established players and the rookies of last year and the draftees. Here's some observations:
The ‘seniors’
• Murphy, Jones and Grant were practicing goal kicking and were all striking it well and naturally without gameday pressure but with a strong wind behind them
• Grant has superior skills, is a one grab mark and good kick when his fear doesn’t get in the way. If he had Cross’s or Boyd’s attitude he’d be a champ.
• Talia and Minson looking very fit and strong and performing drills well
• Minson can run and grunt at you when you clap him on
• Liam Jones lagging during the running as previously reported
• Murphy moving as good as ever
• Dalhaus has good muscle definition, seems to have accepted the Cross/Boyd work ethic
• Bob Murphy doesn’t tan
• Griffen looks like an electricity power station. Was surprisingly doing marking drills’
• I didn’t notice Cooney much except on a trot, but I was talking a fair bit.
The “soon to be’s”
• Lachie Hunter consistently beat Macrae in the pair drills, including outmarking him despite giving away height. He looks fit, strong and ready. Macrae looked like he was tired.
• JJ flashy, speedy and kicking well
• Stringer moved well, uses his body well and seems to read the ball well through the air and position himself accordingly. No limp or impaired gait when I was checking him out.
• I was surprised how well Redpath moved, including weaving, lateral movements. He shone against Campbell.
• Hrovat is small but very much a Sam Mitchell type, moves well
• Prudden’s body wouldn’t look out of place at senior level and completed drills competitively

ledge
01-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Was reported Hrovat left training early with a thigh strain.

boydogs
02-02-2013, 12:03 AM
• Griffen looks like an electricity power station

Say what?

jeemak
02-02-2013, 12:10 AM
Was reported Hrovat left training early with a thigh strain.

Sack the medical staff! :D

Surprised none of our other younger players have had any real issues to worry about so far to this point. If the reports of a tough preseason from a running and weights perspective are true, then it's a good thing all of our other colts are getting through it.

Ghost Dog
02-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Williams is fast on the lead, is athletic, has a good work ethic and stamina so can lead and present regularly like a good CHF needs to. He has a good kicking action and has more tricks than he has yet to display. Remember the reports of him being Koutaesque with some of his training tricks when he first was with us, of being able to scoop the ball up on the turn? I have a feeling he's been shackled a bit by the need to learn the game. as an ex rugby player, as a backman who needs to be a nullifier before being creative. I think he could be better suited to CHF. CErtainly the experience of a new role must help his development as an AFL player, even if he ends up as a CHB.

Not to mention his confidence.

Go_Dogs
02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Sack the medical staff! :D

Surprised none of our other younger players have had any real issues to worry about so far to this point. If the reports of a tough preseason from a running and weights perspective are true, then it's a good thing all of our other colts are getting through it.

From my understanding it seems Hrovat has been doing more of the training than the other draftees have because he came to the club in a better position to do so - perhaps he's pushed himself a little too hard too soon.

If it's a strain hopefully it's just a minor one and he doesn't miss a beat.

Go_Dogs
02-02-2013, 09:05 AM
• Griffen looks like an electricity power station. Was surprisingly doing marking drills
• Lachie Hunter consistently beat Macrae in the pair drills, including outmarking him despite giving away height. He looks fit, strong and ready. Macrae looked like he was tired.
• I was surprised how well Redpath moved, including weaving, lateral movements. He shone against Campbell.
• Prudden’s body wouldn’t look out of place at senior level and completed drills competitively

Love your work, terrific write up.

I'm so happy with the progress Talia seems to have made over the pre-season, I think he must now be a strong chance to line up at CHB for the course of the year. Yes he's a year behind his brother's 2012 as far as age/time on a list, but he's already ahead in development for mine. Daniel played 9 games in his second year on the list - I think Michael is capable of a bigger output this year.

Love the description of Griff, sounds like he's just ready to explode again - can't wait.

I for one wasn't sure how big an impact Hunter might be able to make this year but it seems he's quite well prepared. Would be great to see him get a few games this year. Ditto Prudden.

Redpath moving well is a good start. Haven't seen much of the big guy so hopefully he plays in the NAB Cup and shows something. If he can begin moving to the right places he might surprise this year.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Say what?

Bristling with latent and kinetic energy. Even his eyes look electric.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Not to mention his confidence.

It'll be good to see him make the transition to a more senior player and leader.

GVGjr
02-02-2013, 10:27 AM
BIDS54, thanks for the detailed report. Very appreciated.

bulldogsman
02-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Finally had a chance to read through all this, thanks to everyone for their reports.

How was Howard and Tutt looking BornInDroopSt'54?

Dancin' Douggy
02-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I PT'd from Frankston to training today and got there at the end of the running drills about an hour in. There were two groups doing different activities, the established players and the rookies of last year and the draftees. Here's some observations:
The ‘seniors’
• Murphy, Jones and Grant were practicing goal kicking and were all striking it well and naturally without gameday pressure but with a strong wind behind them
• Grant has superior skills, is a one grab mark and good kick when his fear doesn’t get in the way. If he had Cross’s or Boyd’s attitude he’d be a champ.
• Minson can run and grunt at you when you clap him on
• Liam Jones lagging during the running as previously reported
• Murphy moving as good as ever
• Dalhaus has good muscle definition, seems to have accepted the Cross/Boyd work ethic
• Bob Murphy doesn’t tan
• Griffen looks like an electricity power station. Was surprisingly doing marking drills’
• I didn’t notice Cooney much except on a trot, but I was talking a fair bit.
The “soon to be’s”
• JJ flashy, speedy and kicking well
• Stringer moved well, uses his body well and seems to read the ball well through the air and position himself accordingly. No limp or impaired gait when I was checking him out.
• Hrovat is small but very much a Sam Mitchell type, moves well

Thanks for this report BIDS54.

Woof.net at it's absolute finest. Thanks again.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Finally had a chance to read through all this, thanks to everyone for their reports.

How was Howard and Tutt looking BornInDroopSt'54?

Tutt was kicking for goal and he was threading them beautifully. Howard was everywhere but half the time he was Lachie Hunter or one of our now many lefties. Lachie in particular is a ringer for him.

bornadog
02-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Tutt was kicking for goal and he was threading them beautifully. Howard was everywhere but half the time he was Lachie Hunter or one of our now many lefties. Lachie in particular is a ringer for him.

Thanks for the updates BIDS, really appreciate these as its difficult to get down to training.

What sort of a kick is young Lachie?

BornInDroopSt'54
02-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Love your work, terrific write up.

I'm so happy with the progress Talia seems to have made over the pre-season, I think he must now be a strong chance to line up at CHB for the course of the year. Yes he's a year behind his brother's 2012 as far as age/time on a list, but he's already ahead in development for mine. Daniel played 9 games in his second year on the list - I think Michael is capable of a bigger output this year.

Love the description of Griff, sounds like he's just ready to explode again - can't wait.

I for one wasn't sure how big an impact Hunter might be able to make this year but it seems he's quite well prepared. Would be great to see him get a few games this year. Ditto Prudden.

Redpath moving well is a good start. Haven't seen much of the big guy so hopefully he plays in the NAB Cup and shows something. If he can begin moving to the right places he might surprise this year.
Griff, Talia looking really good fitness wise. Hunter you can tell is focussed and ready. Hopefully all the young guys will get a taste this year.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the updates BIDS, really appreciate these as its difficult to get down to training.

What sort of a kick is young Lachie?

Lachie was executing his passes well. Didn't see him shoot for goal or kick long. He looks a bit like O'Keefe from the Swans as well as looking like Howard.
Saw a beauty of a tackle, Lin Jong took the ball at pace and took on Jake Stringer, immovable object clamping irresistible force....
Jakey boy nailed him in a clamp.

Eastdog
02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Appreciate the training update as well BIDS54. How did Cooney, Morris and Higgins go.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Great reports, cheers.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Appreciate the training update as well BIDS54. How did Cooney, Morris and Higgins go.

Didn't get a chance to put the evil eye on any of these guys, I made some new friends there and got talking. When I did notice Cooney he was moving slowly and I remember seeing Higgins but he didn't have the ball or wasn't 'in action'. Didn't see Morris at all, not sure he was out there.

Eastdog
02-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Didn't get a chance to put the evil eye on any of these guys, I made some new friends there and got talking. When I did notice Cooney he was moving slowly and I remember seeing Higgins but he didn't have the ball or wasn't 'in action'. Didn't see Morris at all, not sure he was out there.

Do you reckon Morris will play in the NAB cup or will we wait until season proper as you always run the risk of injury again.

HOSE B ROMERO
03-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Great training report 'drooper (were you one of the banana splits??). Next challenge: Update on Mac's beard and what type of fertiliser he uses...

Hotdog60
03-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Do you reckon Morris will play in the NAB cup or will we wait until season proper as you always run the risk of injury again.

That's an interesting question, I would think they may want to get some game time into him because of his year absents

The Underdog
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM

I'd imagine one of the two shortened games then the Hawthorn game. Reckon most of the older guys will be saved from going to WA. They won't want to push Dale too hard but he'll need some game time too.

Eastdog
03-02-2013, 12:59 PM
I'd imagine one of the two shortened games then the Hawthorn game. Reckon most of the older guys will be saved from going to WA. They won't want to push Dale too hard but he'll need some game time too.

That is I'd say a good way to get him back in.

DragzLS1
09-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Less then 1 week to go until the pre season competition! Hope the boys have had a solid pre season and are fit and firing come Friday night.

bornadog
09-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Less then 1 week to go until the pre season competition! Hope the boys have had a solid pre season and are fit and firing come Friday night.

Still over a month left of pre-season. NAB cup is just glorified practise matches. However, will be good to see how they are developing and coming along.

The Underdog
09-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Still over a month left of pre-season. NAB cup is just glorified practise matches. However, will be good to see how they are developing and coming along.

The games mean nothing but man I'm hanging out to watch a couple

bornadog
09-02-2013, 03:06 PM
The games mean nothing but man I'm hanging out to watch a couple

You going to pop down to a few games and see how they go?

The Underdog
09-02-2013, 06:02 PM
You going to pop down to a few games and see how they go?

Hopefully the next 2 Fridays. See if the optimism can survive through those.

Ghost Dog
10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
What time does it start Friday? I might Drive down from Geelong.

Cyberdoggie
10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
What time does it start Friday? I might Drive down from Geelong.

Think it's about a 6:15 start from memory.

We are the undercard bout.

bornadog
21-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Minor Cooney setback

Midfielder Adam Cooney is currently receiving treatment for an infection to his right knee.

Cooney was admitted to hospital yesterday to treat the infection and to receive intravenous administered antibiotics.

This treatment will continue for the remainder of the week.

It is expected that Cooney will be back at training next week and he continues to be in contention for selection for Round 1.

The Club will continue to monitor Cooney’s progress over the coming week.

'We see this as a minor set-back for Adam and we are looking forward to having him back at training next week,' General Manager of Football, James Fantasia said.

He was the only player not at the season launch and was mentioned as being sick.

Cyberdoggie
21-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Minor Cooney setback

He was the only player not at the season launch and was mentioned as being sick.

This would be his dodgy knee?

Why would you get an infection?, unless you had a cut or maybe were having jabs in that area?

If this is the case then obviously it's still an issue for him, even if he does look to be moving more freely.

bornadog
21-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Why would you get an infection?, unless you had a cut or maybe were having jabs in that area?

If this is the case then obviously it's still an issue for him, even if he does look to be moving more freely.

You would think it is the dodgy knee. I don't like the sound of it, but then again maybe its par for the course with these things.

G-Mo77
21-03-2013, 05:50 PM

That's my thoughts. Something must have happened to it for it to get infected. With all that's happened I don't blame anyone for being concerned, I know I am.

LostDoggy
21-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Coons tweeted it was a cut on the knee that got infected and he's been in for 2 days. Hoping to get out tomorrow, he'll be right.

G-Mo77
21-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Yeah sounds like it.

Cyberdoggie
21-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Coons tweeted it was a cut on the knee that got infected and he's been in for 2 days. Hoping to get out tomorrow, he'll be right.

How often do you get cuts that get infected that make you go to hospital for a couple of days?

Add that it's his dodgy knee that he happened to get a cut on that got infected. Either this man broke a mirror/walked under a ladder/drove over a black cat or this sounds a little fishy.

AndrewP6
21-03-2013, 11:52 PM
How often do you get cuts that get infected that make you go to hospital for a couple of days?

Add that it's his dodgy knee that he happened to get a cut on that got infected. Either this man broke a mirror/walked under a ladder/drove over a black cat or this sounds a little fishy.

They want to get to the infection quickly, they hit it with antibiotics in an IV drip. It gets into the bloodstream quicker, takes effect sooner, and hastens recovery.

jeemak
22-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Why are we assuming its his dodgy knee? Can't a set-back be anything that has something to do with his preseason preparation?

An AFL footballer going into hospital to get a cut sorted isn't anything to be worried about, if that' all it is.

AndrewP6
22-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Why are we assuming its his dodgy knee? Can't a set-back be anything that has something to do with his preseason preparation?

An AFL footballer going into hospital to get a cut sorted isn't anything to be worried about, if that' all it is.

Report said its the right knee, which I believe is the dodgy one.

jeemak
22-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Report said its the right knee, which I believe is the dodgy one.

Fair enough.

Greystache
26-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm at training and was planning to write a report, but not for the first time this preseason the training time (9am) looks wildly inaccurate. No players to be seen at this stage.

Cyberdoggie
26-03-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm at training and was planning to write a report, but not for the first time this preseason the training time (9am) looks wildly inaccurate. No players to be seen at this stage.

That sucks, at least you don't live on the other side of town i guess.

Greystache
26-03-2013, 01:28 PM
That sucks, at least you don't live on the other side of town i guess.

That's true, but I'm in Tullamarine these days so not around the corner either. The frustrating thing is I don't know whether they're deliberately misleading the supporters because they want to have private sessions (which is what the real training session is tomorrow I've heard), or whether it's the two departments not communicating properly.

There was probably only 20-30 people there today, but most of them were pretty annoyed at turning up to see nothing.

Maddog37
26-03-2013, 02:27 PM
That's no good Stache. Pop a message to official bulldogs maybe?

The Adelaide Connection
28-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Jeemak mentioned in the Preseason Injury thread that there was an Intraclub game over the weekend just gone, did anyone manage to see any of it?

It was mentioned Higgins was in the bests, but I don't remember seeing any other reports or comments about it.

bornadog
28-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Dogs allowed to train at Etihad (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-allowed-to-train-at-etihad-20130327-2gugi.html)

The Western Bulldogs will be given rare access to Etihad Stadium on Friday to help them prepare for a crucial opening clash against the Brisbane Lions.

The Bulldogs have not trained at their home ground for years but have been given permission by venue management, which offers its tenant clubs the chance to train there twice a year.
The Dogs will take to the field at 10am, and will also take part in the Good Friday Appeal telethon at the venue. Dogs football manager James Fantasia said the chance to train at Etihad was a bonus.
"It's a good opportunity for some of our young guys. It's our home ground, it (the chance to train there) doesn't come up all the time," he said.

The Dogs have expressed interest in adding to the two available sessions.
Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney and midfielder Shaun Higgins trained at the Whitten Oval on Wednesday in a bid to prove their fitness for Saturday's clash.

Cooney is recovering from a knee infection, while Higgins has had a foot problem.
"He (Higgins) played last week in an internal match with Williamstown. He has had a good week on the track but that doesn't clear him," Fantasia said.

bornadog
28-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Open training session
Friday 29 March 2013
Venue: Etihad Stadium
10am

Dogs allowed to train at Etihad (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-allowed-to-train-at-etihad-20130327-2gugi.html)

The Western Bulldogs will be given rare access to Etihad Stadium on Friday to help them prepare for a crucial opening clash against the Brisbane Lions.

The Bulldogs have not trained at their home ground for years but have been given permission by venue management, which offers its tenant clubs the chance to train there twice a year.
The Dogs will take to the field at 10am, and will also take part in the Good Friday Appeal telethon at the venue. Dogs football manager James Fantasia said the chance to train at Etihad was a bonus.
"It's a good opportunity for some of our young guys. It's our home ground, it (the chance to train there) doesn't come up all the time," he said.

The Dogs have expressed interest in adding to the two available sessions.
Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney and midfielder Shaun Higgins trained at the Whitten Oval on Wednesday in a bid to prove their fitness for Saturday's clash.

Cooney is recovering from a knee infection, while Higgins has had a foot problem.
"He (Higgins) played last week in an internal match with Williamstown. He has had a good week on the track but that doesn't clear him," Fantasia said.

bornadog
29-03-2013, 05:16 PM
From the HUN

DOGS fans don't fear, Adam Cooney has made a stunning comeback.

Word out of the Kennel is that Cooney absolutely brained them at Thursday's main training session, just days after coming out of hospital because of an infected knee.

He was zipping around like he hadn't missed a beat which had been the case throughout the pre-season until the mishap following the final practice match.

At today's open session at Etihad Stadium, Cooney did some cross-training and boxing but don't be alarmed as that's what he does the day before a game given the history with his troublesome knee.

And don't think he will be eased into proceedings tomorrow, watch for him to start either wing or in the middle and play 70-80 per cent game time.

bornadog
03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Time to unsticky this thread and start a season proper thread.