PDA

View Full Version : Inside Mids

LostDoggy
22-11-2012, 09:25 PM
How many inside mids does Macartney think he can fit into the team???

Eastdog
22-11-2012, 09:27 PM

They weren't all Mids I think we had a forward type player picked. Mids are going to be the most popular types picked up.

chef

We picked two tonight, one of which can also play in the back line.

Most teams play with at least 12 mids nowadays don't they?

GVGjr

Are we actually overstocked with them as you appear to be indicating? Who is surplus to our needs?

Eastdog
22-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Who was the forward we picked up and does anyone know much about him?

G-Mo77
22-11-2012, 09:30 PM
It appears 18 year old kids can't be developed into anything else than what they're advertised at on draft day. :rolleyes:

We need more mids, good ones and IMO we did a good job with our selections in that area.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Don't necessarily think that Hrovat and Prudden are one dimensional. According to their bio they are good users of the ball, and not plodders. So I could see them being developed in multiple roles.

LostDoggy
22-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Are we actually overstocked with them as you appear to be indicating? Who is surplus to our needs?

Boyd
Cross
Libba
Wallis
Howard
Pearce
Picken
Smith
Johannison
Jong
Stevens
Hrovat
Prudden

The next question should be .... who are our outside mids?

SlimPickens
22-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I was going to start a similar thread but on the other side of the fence. I don't understand the fascination with a player being an "inside or outside" mid, how about a player being a good player.

Simple question who is the best outside mid in the comp? Jetta, Gibbs, Simpson not exactly blokes who win you flags.

Sydney won the flag with a number of blokes who first get the ball and then secondly use it effectively. Yes Jetta would be nice but they're hardly the blokes who win you a flag.

How about we look at what the blokes we have drafted can offer not the fact they are not the second coming of Sam Power.

chef
22-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Boyd
Cross
Libba
Wallis
Howard
Pearce
Picken
Smith
Johannison
Jong
Hrovat
Prudden

They aren't all inside mids:confused:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Boyd
Cross
Libba
Wallis
Howard
Pearce
Picken
Smith
Johannison
Jong
Stevens
Hrovat
Prudden

If Howard is an inside mid we're in big trouble. And I thin Johannissen/Pearce are not predominantly inside mids.

To pidgeon hole all of these as inside mids is perhaps missing the point that amongst this group there is a fair amount of diversity amongst their skill sets.
Hrovat and Prudden seem to be known for their good ball use, which is definitely something we needed to add to our inside brigade and will complement this group well.

GVGjr
Boyd
Cross
Libba
Wallis
Howard
Pearce
Picken
Smith
Johannison
Jong
Hrovat
Prudden

I see things a bit different

We need to identify Boyd and Cross replacements
Howard is a winger or a HBF, Pearce is defender
Picken and Smith are inside midfielders
Johannisen is a running defender, Jong a rookie and is not a genuine midfielder

It doesn't look like we have a surplus to me.

Bulldog Revolution
Boyd
Cross
Libba
Wallis
Howard (outside/rebounding defender)
Pearce (rebounding defender)
Picken (best run with player in the competition)
Smith
Johannison (outside mid)
Jong (good carrier as well as doing inside mid role)
Hrovat
Prudden

I would add Stevens to the list, but I think hes hopeful he can contribute outside also

I think we are well stocked for the future, as well as the now

And clearly part of the challenge for Wallis, Libba, Stevens, Smith etc is to improve their spread and ball use

Greystache
Boyd
Cross
Libba
Wallis
Howard
Pearce
Picken
Smith
Johannison
Jong
Hrovat
Prudden

I don't know how you could consider any of those 3 players inside mids. Johannison is a small and quick outside runner, Pierce is a wing/hbf, and Howard hasn't won a one on one contest in the 3 years he's been on the list.

Add in that Cross and Boyd will likely be gone in 2 years and the reality is we are probably light on for inside mids

dog town
22-11-2012, 09:44 PM
It concerns me that if you are not a complete fairy in a contest you are deemed surplus to requirements on this board. We need some outside run but it doesn't mean we should be scared of guys who can win the footy, it is not a weakness. Players can and do perform both skills.

Pick 5 we took an outsider or good second posession player. Pick a forward/mid who is a bit taller. Was their anyone post pick 20 who is a cant miss prospect as a run and carry player? Garlett obviously but every other team gave him a miss too. If Menzel, Simpson or one of those sort of guys slipped through then I would have been concerned.

Mofra
22-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Koby Stevens said in a recent interview he was an outside mid when drafted, only went inside as OP hampered his progress. Should be pretty balanced.

Gia & Higgo were drafted as inside mids, forced to play forward due to their finishing.

Hrovat is an interesting one - along with Lachie Hunter, he trained with Brent Harvey. Attitude is outstanding from all accounts - told he was too small and slow, he won the B&F at u18 level.

Wasn't Picken drafted as a running forward type?

stefoid
22-11-2012, 11:42 PM
I dont see it as inside/outside issue particularly, but a lack of players who can carry the ball out of trouble and kick it well. It seems Macrae and Hrovat can, so thats good.

Theres no point in continually winning the inside ball and then turning it over with low quality clearances.

boydogs
23-11-2012, 12:27 AM
I dont see it as inside/outside issue particularly, but a lack of players who can carry the ball out of trouble and kick it well. It seems Macrae and Hrovat can, so thats good.

Theres no point in continually winning the inside ball and then turning it over with low quality clearances.

I think a lot of WB supporters have the inside/outside thing skewed because Boyd & Cross are such terrible kicks. You have to remember they were late picks/rookies, who are always going to have strengths and weaknesses.

Callan Ward is more of a regular inside mid.

Ghost Dog
23-11-2012, 01:26 AM
its going to be tough to get games in the midfield. Cant play them all....
Cross's kicking was actually pretty good in 2012. Skipper gets pinged for it, sometimes rightly so

jeemak
23-11-2012, 01:30 AM
I think a lot of WB supporters have the inside/outside thing skewed because Boyd & Cross are such terrible kicks. You have to remember they were late picks/rookies, who are always going to have strengths and weaknesses.

Callan Ward is more of a regular inside mid.

They also discount the fact we're going to lose each of Cross and Boyd as Wallis, Liberatore and Smith hopefully become exceptional senior players.

To think that we're going overboard by taking in Stevens, Prudden and Hrovat right now is missing the point a little. All three of these guys have a long way to go before they become regular Bulldogs players, and it's quite likely that at least one of them isn't going to make it through injury, team balance or a lack of development in attitude or ability.

Let's just assume for a moment that all of Smith, Wallis and Liberatore make it by the time 2014-2015 rolls around, would we be comfortable with our inside mid stocks if only one of Stevens, Prudden or Hrovat came through the way we hope they do?

bornadog
23-11-2012, 04:15 AM
Boyd
Cross
Libba
Wallis
Howard
Pearce
Picken
Smith
Johannison
Jong
Stevens
Hrovat
Prudden

= Zero

Remi Moses
23-11-2012, 04:39 AM
Sydney the reigning premiers have probably one genuine outside mid in Lewis Jetta.
We had one in the Eagle, and he was bagged unmercifully.
Having players who play both roles is important as well. Some of those named on that list aren't inside mids

bornadog
23-11-2012, 04:42 AM
Sydney the reigning premiers have probably one genuine outside mid in Lewis Jetta.
Having players who play both roles is important as well. Some of those named on that list aren't inside mids

Sydney won many games this year and lost the clearances and contested possessions in doing so. You need to ask yourself how?

mighty_west
23-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Absolutely spot on, I'm over the moon on the way the club is going with this win your own ball, hard at it style, intensity to the contest is the key to success for mine, and players demanding the ball.

Mofra
23-11-2012, 12:17 PM
= Zero
Griffen, Stevens, Macrae as full timers, Dahlhaus as a part timer, Tutt & Howard have more of an outside game, Cooney & Higgins if injury permits.

That's ignoring Libba's left boot if he's given space and Wallis is a ball magnet with safe disposal.

It's not like labelling a kid "inside mid" means they can't spread from a contest and provide run either - how many pure outside mids to Sydney & Hawthorn have?

Dancin' Douggy
23-11-2012, 12:25 PM
McCartney's thinking is starting to make sense for me.
Obviously all these guys can't play in the centre square.

But some will be on flanks and in pockets around the ground.

So that at each and every contested situation we have more than one big ruthless contested ball hunter.

DragzLS1
23-11-2012, 12:28 PM
McCartney's thinking is starting to make sense for me.
Obviously all these guys can't play in the centre square.

But some will be on flanks and in pockets around the ground.

So that at each and every contested situation we have more than one big ruthless contested ball hunter.

THIS ^^^

We have them all over teh ground and when it is a 1 on 1 situation we can back our guy in.

Dancin' Douggy
23-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Smash every contest and grind the opposition down.
Now we just need to build some silk into the list, and a genuine class tall forward.
Who knows? Stringer just might turn into that guy anyway