PDA

View Full Version : Social Club Function

The Coon Dog
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Am currently attending a function at the Victiry Room at Etihad Stadium. Seems to be plenty of people here. The burritos we all got were fantastic.

Kevin Hillier is the host. David Smorgon currently speaking about his 16 years as President. Reminiscing about the last home game at the Whitten Oval, moving to Optus Oval, defeating Essendon in 2000, Libba's point in 1997, beating Richmond in round 1 by over 100 points, beating North in Canberra by a point & Johnno's 300th game.

He encouraged both players & supporters to go that extra mile.

I'll post more later.

LongWait
03-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Look forward to it TCD. Thanks.

The Coon Dog
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Peter Gordon now speaking. He said we're a club that prides itself on paying its debts, but some debts just cannot be repaid & the debt our club owes David Smorgon is one of those debts. He said make no mistake, if it were not for David Smorgon, this club wouldn't be here today.

The Coon Dog
03-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Peter said things had turned full circle & it's great to deal with an AFL Commission that's supportive of the club. He initially had doubts about taking on the role as President when first approached by David Smorgon, but is really excited by the challenge ahead.

Remembered first taking on the role as President in 1990 & chatting with Chris Grant, one a reasonably mater 32 year old lawyer & the other a skinny 17 year old kid. They spoke at length for 2 & a half hours the other night & Chris committed to Peter his passion for the club!

He wants to see this stadium full regularly when Bulldogs play!

Peter then introduced 3 new members, one being Lynette Rowe who was born with no arms & no legs, Oeter has recently run a successful court case on her behalf & Lynette & her parents are now Top Dogs members.

Bulldog4life
03-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the info CD. Much appreciated.

The Coon Dog
03-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Brendan McCartney now speaking, confirmed that we signed Nick Lower. Said last year was tough & the London trip was great to get away & have some fun, a terrific 10 days, visiting a few EPL clubs.

The players are running more during pre season, need to run games out. Looking to be quicker too. Said Scarlett & Mooney are loving helping out the kids & Brad Johnson will be starting next week with the club helping out first, second & third year players.

Eastdog
03-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Peter said things had turned full circle & it's great to deal with an AFL Commission that's supportive of the club. He initially had doubts about taking on the role as President when first approached by David Smorgon, but is really excited by the challenge ahead.

Remembered first taking on the role as President in 1990 & chatting with Chris Grant, one a reasonably mater 32 year old lawyer & the other a skinny 17 year old kid. They spoke at length for 2 & a half hours the other night & Chris committed to Peter his passion for the club!

He wants to see this stadium full regularly when Bulldogs play!

Peter then introduced 3 new members, one being Lynette Rowe who was born with no arms & no legs, Oeter has recently run a successful court case on her behalf & Lynette & her parents are now Top Dogs members.

I've just become a member of the club and will be attending most of our home games in 2013. It feels good being apart of the club. I hope we see some improvement from our young players in 2013 and more effort in games.

Maddog37
03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Great work TCD.

The Coon Dog
03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Ben Graham now speaking. He started with the club today & after 22 years thinks he's got something to offer. Said NFL is a massive industry, the biggest in the world & he saw the best & worst aspects of how the system can chew people up.

Eastdog
03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Great work TCD in keeping us updated on this event.

BulldogBelle
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks very much for this! Shattered to miss it this year, it's great to hear such in depth information on all the speeches. Shattered to miss Davids last speech. Hopefully each speaker on the mic isn't battling for silence like which is normally the case!

Always a fantastic evening.

ledge
03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm going to the one Saturday night, would probably be along same lines .

The Coon Dog
03-12-2012, 09:31 PM
During the break I was able to renew acquaintances with Peter Gordon. He was extremely impressed with WOOF (I was not aware he knew if this site) & believes the club can do so much more to engage with it supporters & felt this site was a perfect vehicle (as opposed to Facebook which he felt was cause for concern with trolling). GVGjr I'll PM you further on this.

choconmientay
03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the superb live updates TCD.

LongWait
03-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the report TCD - I really appreciate the trouble you've gone to.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the superb live updates TCD.

+1 much appreciated.

Really wanted to get there this year but just didn't have the time.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2012, 09:47 PM
During the break I was able to renew acquaintances with Peter Gordon. He was extremely impressed with WOOF (I was not aware he knew if this site) & believes the club can do so much more to engage with it supporters & felt this site was a perfect vehicle (as opposed to Facebook which he felt was cause for concern with trolling). GVGjr I'll PM you further on this.
I'm sure he's happy talking about anything other than what past partners Did with the AWU :)

Great to have him back though. Thanks TCD.

Axe Man
03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I was there tonight as well. Well run night, an improvement on last year. Great speeches by Smorgo and Gordon. The moment with the Rowe family was a great touch.

GVGjr
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the updates TCD. Appreciated by all here I'm sure.

NoName
03-12-2012, 10:45 PM
I was there tonight, it was better organised than previous years IMO. Thought both Smorgan and Gordon spoke well and with passion and I was really impressed with they way Ash Hanson and Ben Graham spoke. Looking forward to season 2013.

Twodogs
03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Great reports Barry. Really good to read.

LostDoggy
03-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Made the trip over from Adelaide for it.
Just a few notes similar to what has been said but

-Gordon spoke really really well, first time i've heard him speak live. He is a very passionate man.

-Spoke about dedicating a game each year against an interstate team where we aim to deck out etihad. There will be quite a big build up to round 1 vs Brisbane. This is the game he wants large for 2013.

-Benny Graham also, spoke about experience in NFL and how he wants to help the coaches and organisation run successfully, spoke about planning for how we look in 2020. Also putting energy into our VFL team.

-I got to speak to Macca one on one for maybe a minute, he was pretty good with his time, and engaged everyone who approached. I asked for personally wanting to know about Pearce and where he see's him playing. He said once his tank builds he'll be midfield. Quote " He's got a lot of shit in him" meaning good mongrel, doesn't take it from anyone. He is a gem IMO and glad to hear he thinks a move up field in future.

-I asked him about Stringer...he just said He's a Forward!! No mention of midfield..he did drop the Pavlich comparison.

-One word he described Hrovat ... "Gun"

-Overheard him saying Roughy will be fullback , and once Ayces arms get stronger..to with stain chopping/knocked to easily, then he'll be ok.

IMO Mitch Wallis will be next captain, just class/leadership/role model written all over him.

Said the next month for pre season will be ramped up speed wise. Focusing on kicking and Defensive skills-similar to press reports but good to hear it from him.

Koby is a very well built unit.

Glad I made it, was well worth it

azabob
03-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks Claysman. You didn't ask about Clay?;)

Mecca is very good with his time , a really approachable guy.

LostDoggy
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Was there as well. Enjoyed the night. Food was yummy and speeches were great as others have mentioned. The player forum of Matty Boyd, Will Minson and Mitch Wallis did a very good job answering some difficult questions. Well done all round!

Throughandthrough
04-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Cheers bazza for the report. And clays man , big effort to one over from adelaide

bornadog
04-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks TCD and every one for the updates. I missed this function as I am currently in Europe.

Lets hope 2013 is a better year.

ledge
04-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks Baz always give us interesting stuff.

jeemak
04-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Thanks TCD, AM and CMM.

Much appreciated that you can report back like you have. Cheers.

I think the comments around Stringer being a forward are reasonable, though I think as he overcomes his leg injury and develops a tank over a few preseasons he'll also become more of a utility.

Great stuff guys.

choconmientay
04-12-2012, 08:26 AM

Love your dedication :) Well done. And also thanks for the insight. I wonder how much can you squeeze out of a minute talk ;)

chef
04-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the updates guys.

Go_Dogs
04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Terrific read, thanks all, sounds like it was a ripping night.

LostDoggy
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys

LostDoggy
04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
All the players i spoke with were very nice. Burritos wernt the best imo haha.

I agree with claysmyman...wallis will be captain one day.

Twodogs
04-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Wow! That's dedication. I thought travelling interstate for games was a big deal but doing it for a meeting is huge.

Thanks for the detailed comments CMM.

turtle
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks to everybody that has provided such insight into what sound like a very good night. It's great to get a feel for what is happening direct from the source.

Remi Moses
04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Great reports. Well done Clay making the trip.
The joint seems rejuvenated with the coaching staff appointed.
I just want competitiveness next season

LostDoggy
04-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Agree - Wallis seems like a born leader.

My highlight of the night was a quick chat with Bobby asking him what he thinks about The Beard going around again, his response "I love it. He'll kill it again, the guy could play until he's 50".

Didn't go autograph hunting myself, but went with my mate getting his daughters bib signed, Stringer was super friendly (and is an absolute tank) seems all class, can't wait to see him and new recruits run around next year.

LostDoggy
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks Claysman. You didn't ask about Clay?;)

Mecca is very good with his time , a really approachable guy.

Haha caught up with Clay , he was hanging with Jones, Libba and Jake for a fair part. All of them loved a laugh.

Jones does have a mean haircut, he also has a pretty good sense of humour.

Like all on this forum, fingers crossed he can impact the way we see snippets of for longer this year and own first 18 selection.

Tommy Campbell is a huge man for his age.

Just on Pearce i noticed i said midfield, but Macca said wing.

When you come from Adelaide and have to put up with the garbage people serve up here re crows ... just to walk into a room full of people who like the team I do was worth it haha.

LostDoggy
05-12-2012, 10:54 AM

Glad I made it, was well worth it

Well done! Kind of makes me feel bad for being too unmotivated (busy time of year, getting there in time from work, going on my own etc etc) to travel from Melbourne's Eastern suburbs!! :o

LostDoggy
05-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm a social club member but due to being in Darwin wasn't able to make the function. I emailed the club and asked them to donate my ticket to a former member who's membership had lapsed in the hope that they would attend and be inspired by what they heard, which would hopefully convince them to re-sign. Not sure if the club followed through for me or not??

LostDoggy
05-12-2012, 06:46 PM
When you come from Adelaide and have to put up with the garbage people serve up here re crows ... just to walk into a room full of people who like the team I do was worth it haha.

About time we established an Adelaide based WOOF get together

What about it?

Marcov - you there?

Throughandthrough?

Griffen16?

We need a bigger bar than a phone box these days

Scraggers
05-12-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm a social club member but due to being in Darwin wasn't able to make the function. I emailed the club and asked them to donate my ticket to a former member who's membership had lapsed in the hope that they would attend and be inspired by what they heard, which would hopefully convince them to re-sign. Not sure if the club followed through for me or not??

Fantastic idea ... I really hope the club followed through on this !!

Well done Hobdog ... Good thinking !!

Throughandthrough
06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
About time we established an Adelaide based WOOF get together

What about it?

Marcov - you there?

Throughandthrough?

Griffen16?

We need a bigger bar than a phone box these days

yeah for sure

LostDoggy
06-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Fantastic idea ... I really hope the club followed through on this !!

Well done Hobdog ... Good thinking !!

Yeah same here. I think it would be great if the club could hold an event for lapsed members where they can meet players and hear the coach and president speak about the things the club is doing and where it is heading. I'm sure we could sign a good number of lapsed members by doing this. I really think that respect doesn't come from having a full stand when times are good, it comes from having a full stand when the chips are down. I'm also aware that money is tight and our performances in the latter part of 2012 certainly didn't inspire but can you imagine the esteem we would be held in if our members were seen as loyal, supportive and passionate in the hard times. I know I'm probably talking about a utopian Bulldogs world but what's the alternative?

Go_Dogs
07-12-2012, 07:58 PM
yeah for sure

Definitely. Let's get something sorted via PM.