PDA

View Full Version : Our Heartland - New video

angelopetraglia
17-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Great work by the club. No doubt the Marketing is getting better. Love this new piece.

KJWBOb6XTS8

chef
17-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Good stuff.

mjp
17-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Loved it.

Sedat
17-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Very good promo video, but what's with all the images of robo-dog? Considering we flicked it off our jumper 12 months ago, robo-dog gets far too much prominence on this video.

Eastdog
17-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm an Eastern Suburbs based Bulldogs supporter and thought it was a good video. I liked the way they really focused on Footscray which is the roots of the club. One way they could of improved the video is that they could of had the whole team in it but nonetheless it was ok.

chef
17-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Very good promo video, but what's with all the images of robo-dog? Considering we flicked it off our jumper 12 months ago, robo-dog gets far too much prominence on this video.

I guess we are keeping it(for 2013 anyway) for our logo?

bornadog
17-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Great video, and boy Steve must be proud of his son - he is very impressive for someone so young.

OLD SCRAGGer
17-12-2012, 02:12 PM
GREAT Video. Young Mitch will be captain within 3 years I think. Very IMPRESSIVE young man:)

Murphy'sLore
17-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Wow! Loved it! I liked the focus on one player -- it gave it a real personal edge, a story. Very professional and moving work all round.

Remi Moses
17-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Wow! That was good.

strebla
17-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Shiver's I love the west I love this club and I LOVE this promo!!!!

PedroArvy
17-12-2012, 02:59 PM
There is a constant message in the Bulldogs marketing campaign...

We are from the western suburbs, we are not as privileged as those eastern suburbs people, we have a working class mentality that separates us from those privileged clubs out east etc etc

I dunno, I am not from the west and this does not apply to me. I wonder how many people directly connect with this whole battler style message. Don't get me wrong, its a nice ad, I just wonder if it applies to most supporters.

Are you a western suburbs battler?

Eastdog
17-12-2012, 03:03 PM

I dunno, I am not from the west and this does not apply to me. I wonder how many people directly connect with this whole battler style message. Don't get me wrong, its a nice ad, I just wonder if it applies to most supporters.

I'm not from the west either and I'm not battling but I respect 100 percent the working class roots of our club. My grandfather though did once work at the Commonwealth Bank in Footscray but he wasn't a Bulldogs fan.

Murphy'sLore
17-12-2012, 03:10 PM
No, I'm not, never lived in the west and have no connection with the area (except through my husband's family). But I do appreciate the battling history of the club and that history is part of what appeals to me as a supporter. The connection to the west is something special and I applaud the club for turning that into a strength, and the beating heart of what this club is all about. To me, the Bulldogs is all about never-say-die, defiance, tenacity in adversity, and that goes hand-in-hand with the working class history of the area. Yes, we can be modern and professional and skilful and all of that stuff, but the history is what makes us different from all the other modern/professional etc etc clubs out there.

Sorry for the ranty post but I think the club is doing a great job of marrying the "dreams of the future" with the "scars of the past" and I love it.

(PS How good is that moment when Mitch looks into the camera and the soundtrack goes "looking for a sponsor..."!! Very subtle!)

craigsahibee
17-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Wow! Loved it! I liked the focus on one player -- it gave it a real personal edge, a story. Very professional and moving work all round.

Nice touch with Mitch and Steve.

One wonders if there was another father and son duo in mind for this but for a regrettable incident towards the end of last season.

Good work by the club.

As one who was raised in the Eastern Suburbs and continues to live there I am not "alienated" by the Western theme. I'm old enough to know the history of our club and I for one would like to see more reference to our roots and culture in a way similar to how the Swans have adapted the Bloods.

I reckopn Murph should be in charge of inducting the new players and staff on what it means to be BULLDOG.

boydogs
17-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I dunno, I am not from the west and this does not apply to me. I wonder how many people directly connect with this whole battler style message.

I certainly do. Growing up in the west you were always innately conscious of being underprivileged. But that didn't matter, the others could have all the resources in the world but they would never be as hungry for success.

Remi Moses
17-12-2012, 04:02 PM

I would imagine so.
We're a blue collar club and always will be.
Just as not every Hawthorn or Melbourne fan is an elitist type.

Eastdog
17-12-2012, 04:08 PM
While we have our traditional working class supporter base I believe we have quite a few supporters who are more middle class like Essendon and Collingwood who both have their working class support bases but have a lot of middle class supporters as well.

Greystache
17-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Great video, very professionally put together.

For me it continues the recent trend of high quality outputs from the club's media and marketing teams. I don't stay across who comes and goes in the part of the club but we seem to have a great team working there at the moment.

LostDoggy
17-12-2012, 05:48 PM

I'm an Eastern Suburbs based Bulldogs supporter and thought it was a good video. I liked the way they really focused on Footscray which is the roots of the club. One way they could of improved the video is that they could of had the whole team in it but nonetheless it was ok.

This is just the first video, maybe we'll see more players get a run. Libba, Talia, Cordy, Hunter, we have plenty of players with deep roots in our club's history that can have the same powerful message that Mitch conveys — that being a Western Bulldogs person is not about how many flags we've won, it's all about fighting, never-say-die, “sticking it up em”. Even our motto has “stoic” written all over it.

It's who we are. It's the very reason we're alive even though we last danced in 1954. You can try and camouflage it or you can run the banner up the mast and be proud of who we are. The club is doing the right thing here. I don't always agree that the Western Suburbs will be the membership source they hope for, they need to be doing other things as well, but it's important to acknowledge our “heart land”.

Nice touch with Mitch and Steve.

One wonders if there was another father and son duo in mind for this but for a regrettable incident towards the end of last season.

Good work by the club.

As one who was raised in the Eastern Suburbs and continues to live there I am not "alienated" by the Western theme. I'm old enough to know the history of our club and I for one would like to see more reference to our roots and culture in a way similar to how the Swans have adapted the Bloods.

I reckopn Murph should be in charge of inducting the new players and staff on what it means to be BULLDOG.

Even that incident can be a good story if told right, at the right time. “We're not perfect. We've been through some muck. But we won't go quietly.”

It's slightly off-topic but I think Libba has a great opportunity here to be the next Steve Johnson and if he can do it, the club would be smart to capitalise on that, as many in the western suburbs share (small) aspects of the same story — falling, then getting back up again and soldiering on.

Damn, I'm excited boys! I feel like the club is maturing, growing out of our “we're poor and we'll never amount to nothin'” attitude and instead growing intent on doing something special regardless. Been a long time waiting for them to come full circle like this.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I admit I got emotional at one stage, I was moved by the video, it hit my spot. Part of it is the new generation taking up the mantle, the war between us v rest of the AFL and the world, in a way that is not lip service, it is for real.
Mitch and the rest know what the score is and this is a warrior stating his allegiance.

Cyberdoggie
17-12-2012, 06:48 PM
No pressure on Mitch this year obviously! :)

I find it staggering how much emphasis the club puts behind Wallis and Dahlhaus in regards to marketing.

I sure i heard Luke say he was going to cut his hair off for charity ages ago but perhaps the club won't let him as he's the poster boy of choice.

mighty_west
17-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Great video, really like the EJ overdub near the start using a snippet of his famous onfield speech, brilliant.

SonofScray
17-12-2012, 07:41 PM
They are doing such a good job with this stuff.

I loved last years campaign and this is a very solid step up. The reintroduction of things like defiance and endurance, combative spirit into our narrative is timely and wise. I feel like this Club is growing up a bit, coming to terms with its real identity and stepping away from this self loathing, timid persona that has crept up on us.

You can't deny our roots. We have always represented or had a connection with the western suburbs, its story is ours. I love that we explicitly are staking our claim. If you live in the heartland, are a Bulldog then you are home. If you're not a Bulldog out west you should feel a little out of place. Your kids should get picked on for not being one of us. I'm sue many of us have been on the receiving end of similar, I certainly was growing up around West Essendon.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-12-2012, 08:08 PM
The thing about the Bulldogs is that we are the only remaining working class club in what always was a working class sport. We are the sole survivor and of the ilk of the original football clubs in that we are a working class area and a battling (financially and success wise) club. This make us fighters not like the wealthy Collingwood, Carlton or any of the rest of them and their supporters who have the luxury of 'going off' football after their latest premiership and a downward turn in their success and bandwagoning on the upward rise. We are for real, it is more than a game more than entertainment for uor supporters.
This image is definitely marketable and I don't know why anyone would want to follow any other team if they want what the soul of what the competition is all about.

Eastdog
17-12-2012, 08:15 PM
The fighting spirit of the Bulldogs is something I love about our club. The never give up attitude when times are tough and just keeping going is something a lot of people can relate to in real life situations. I hope we can have a much more better season in 2013 and surprise a few teams.

Rocco Jones
17-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I was born and raised in Footscray, love the vid!

immortalmike
17-12-2012, 11:22 PM

This. Warms the heart of this Westy. Finally growing out of being embarassed of who we are and instead recognizing and accepting it, then using as a basis for why we are better than the others.

boydogs
18-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Then using as a basis for why we are better than the others.

Absolutely! It's like being Kenyan, you can't compete with them because they run marathons daily from when they are kids just to get a drink.

Everything in the west is hard earned, hard work for little return is expected. You're used to overcoming challenges daily, and fighting for every scrap.

You're tougher, hungrier, and more determined. You don't mind getting down and dirty. You don't need creature comforts, in fact they seem out of place. A chip and a chair, and you're ready for the contest.

G-Mo77
18-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Great video, very professionally put together.

For me it continues the recent trend of high quality outputs from the club's media and marketing teams. I don't stay across who comes and goes in the part of the club but we seem to have a great team working there at the moment.

Really impressive isn't it. I think there was a change before the 2012 season. I do remember reading about it somewhere but you just to see the quality of work that's coming from the club over the past 12 months. The social media outlets has also improved dramatically.

always right
18-12-2012, 09:44 AM
The only member of my family who has lived in the western suburbs is my father...yet I can identify with the video. I see myself as an adopted son of the western suburbs. Excellent video. There has clearly been a marketing plan formulated for the off-season.....very professional.

The Pie Man
18-12-2012, 09:58 AM
The only member of my family who has lived in the western suburbs is my father...yet I can identify with the video. I see myself as an adopted son of the western suburbs. Excellent video. There has clearly been a marketing plan formulated for the off-season.....very professional.

Same with me (Dad's family ran a car dealership in Footscray before I was born) We lived in Doncaster when I was a little kid, and we'd never miss a Dogs home game in those years, finding a park and walking to the Plough for lunch. Despite not living there, Footscray was very much part of my childhood.

Terrific promo - Mitch Wallis is turning into a very impressive young man. Steve making an appearance only strengthens the 'heartland' tagline

Twodogs
18-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Me too and I've always worn it as a badge of pride.

When the Western Front initiative was announced I was happy that the club was going to acknowledge it's roots and embrace the western suburbs. I also think that Peter Gordon is the perfect person to have as president to drive the next stage. He has a real affinity for the region.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Me too and I've always worn it as a badge of pride.

When the Western Front initiative was announced I was happy that the club was going to acknowledge it's roots and embrace the western suburbs. I also think that Peter Gordon is the perfect person to have as president to drive the next stage. He has a real affinity for the region.

I only just made the connection that Julia Gillard probably was converted to the Dogs by Gordon, for whom she worked. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Eastdog
18-12-2012, 02:49 PM
This video should be looked at as no matter where you live East, North, South and West and you support the Bulldogs that its about the clubs foundation and roots and where we originated from. I live out East and like a few on hear am old enough to know that the Western Suburbs is part of our history.

Eastdog
18-12-2012, 02:50 PM
I only just made the connection that Julia Gillard probably was converted to the Dogs by Gordon, for whom she worked. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Not exactly sure there but could be true. Do you like her as number 1 ticket holder? I believe everyone at the club is like a number 1 ticket holder like at Collingwood.

Murphy'sLore
18-12-2012, 03:03 PM

yes, it's true. it's been reported a few times (sorry, can't lay my hand on a source at this moment!)

The Underdog
18-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I went to Footscray once. I think I was visiting a friend who lived there briefly....good times. Anyway nice video, very emotive.

Ghost Dog
18-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Nice footage of Foot-a-scray! I noticed they didn't film that bloke who keeps hassling me for money at the Westpac ATM :)
Little bit of Gangsta Wally there. I like it.

Rocco Jones
18-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I like that the group who the song is by from Footscray.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-12-2012, 08:35 PM
A very nice progression from the theme started last year. Hope we stick with a build on this for many years.

Eastdog
18-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Actually the video has quite a bit of the team in it training at the Whitten Oval.

MrMahatma
18-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Did a new marketing team get put on last year? They're doing well in my opinion.

SonofScray
18-12-2012, 10:48 PM
I think we went with a US based firm, remember seeing they did a lot of NCAA and the like. Very savvy.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Not exactly sure there but could be true. Do you like her as number 1 ticket holder? I believe everyone at the club is like a number 1 ticket holder like at Collingwood.

I like her as No 1 ticketholder she has the strength of her convictions. Loved it when she took a footie to visit Obama and he handpassed it to her.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Did a new marketing team get put on last year? They're doing well in my opinion.

Very well.

The content they are putting out has been very good.

That video was terrific. The best I've seen from any club. Couldn't help but be super impressed with Wallis, either. Born to be a leader/captain.

lemmon
19-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Row27 is the American marketing firm, scanning the website apparently they do this sort of stuff for about 90 teams, all US based. We are the first overseas client

SonofScray
19-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Row27 is the American marketing firm, scanning the website apparently they do this sort of stuff for about 90 teams, all US based. We are the first overseas client

Thats it. They are doing a great job. Glad we've gone with them as US franchises seem to have this stuff nailed.

Curly5
20-12-2012, 12:17 PM
No pressure on Mitch this year obviously! :)

I find it staggering how much emphasis the club puts behind Wallis and Dahlhaus in regards to marketing.

I sure i heard Luke say he was going to cut his hair off for charity ages ago but perhaps the club won't let him as he's the poster boy of choice.

The kids love Luke (and his hair) and the mums and dads love Mitch.

Curly5
20-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Yes, she caught the Bulldog fever when working for Peter.

Julia is great, and a genuine supporter.

bornadog
20-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Yes, she caught the Bulldog fever when working for Peter.

Julia is great, and a genuine supporter.

She didn't actually work for Peter. Julia was in the same Law firm as Peter, ie Slater & Gordon (no relation to Peter Gordon) They were both partners, although Peter may have been more senior. My wife was at Slaters in the 80's and sat next to Julia and had a lot to do with both Peter and Julia as her boss was the head Partner at that time.

I got to know Peter pretty well those days and remember his first day at Slaters. Can't remember Julia, but would have met her at the Christmas parties.

(Sorry don't mean to name drop)

always right
20-12-2012, 05:24 PM
She didn't actually work for Peter. Julia was in the same Law firm as Peter, ie Slater & Gordon (no relation to Peter Gordon) They were both partners, although Peter may have been more senior. My wife was at Slaters in the 80's and sat next to Julia and had a lot to do with both Peter and Julia as her boss was the head Partner at that time.

I got to know Peter pretty well those days and remember his first day at Slaters. Can't remember Julia, but would have met her at the Christmas parties.

(Sorry don't mean to name drop)

I hate name droppers. I know it's a dislike I share with Rupert Murdoch who I once had lunch with.

Maddog37
20-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I know what you mean, I was having lunch with the Pope and Elvis Costello the other day and we all agreed name dropping was poor form.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-12-2012, 11:54 AM
I know what you mean, I was having lunch with the Pope and Elvis Costello the other day and we all agreed name dropping was poor form.

Did the Pope enjoy his spicey hotdog with sauerkraut?