PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Mark Stevens

Sedat
17-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Mark Stevens will be leaving the HS to take up the Chief Football Reporter role at Channel 7. Well deserved - he's been an excellent print media reporter for many years in a sea of mediocrity and he's been excellent on Pay TV with The Back Page. It will be terrific seeing a proud and passionate Bulldog supporter keeping the rest of the Channel 7 footy riff raff honest.

chef
17-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Going to be a big loss for our club in terms of getting exposure in the H/S.

Remi Moses
17-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Come on down Sam Landsberger.
Does this mean we get more Jon Ralph Malph fluff pieces?:eek:
The Age breaks the big stories these days anyway

craigsahibee
17-12-2012, 03:19 PM
If Stevo is working on the free to air games he ain't gonna see us too much in 2013.

Pedro Sanchez
17-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Going to be a big loss for our club in terms of getting exposure in the H/S.

Disagree. He’s not lost to media… Rather going to a bigger outlet with greater reach and a larger audience… It’s positive both for him personally and the club.

Doc26
17-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Come on down Sam Landsberger.
Does this mean we get more Jon Ralph Malph fluff pieces?:eek:
The Age breaks the big stories these days anyway

Notice that we also get strong media coverage out of Ben Collins at AFL.com both via their website and his own Twitter account.

azabob
17-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Notice that we also get strong media coverage out of Ben Collins at AFL.com both via their website and his own Twitter account.

The AFL is also trying to be a media centre similar to the papers and radio stations, with the view that supporters will go there first for their footy fix or news story and hence have allocated teams to certain jurno's.

Strangely enough yet to see a negative article from them of any sort ;)...

Jon Pierik from the AGE has done a few articles on us, I honestly think they are drip feeding us. Yesterday there was the article on Shaun Higgins and tonight / tomorrow the article on Gia perhaps being his last season.

azabob
17-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Disagree. He’s not lost to media… Rather going to a bigger outlet with greater reach and a larger audience… It’s positive both for him personally and the club.

Not sure I agree, bigger audience yes, but limited air time I would think which would mean coverage of the bigger clubs.

Axe Man
24-06-2021, 04:44 PM
TV footy reporter Mark Stevens has quit Channel 7 to work for the Liberal Party (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/tv-footy-reporter-mark-stevens-has-quit-channel-7-to-work-for-the-liberal-party/news-story/92953b80ff9feb5d27988e42e66dda39)

Channel 7 chief football reporter Mark Stevens will quit journalism for a stint in politics.

Stevens has been hired as the new Media Manager for the Victorian Liberal Party as it bolsters its team ahead of the 2022 state election.

Channel 7 staff were advised of the move on Thursday.

Stevens joined the network as chief football reporter in 2012 after 14 years at the Herald Sun.

The Liberal Party has been on the hunt for a senior media professional to join the team after former Channel 9 reporter Tineka Everaardt quit earlier this year.

The party has been encouraged by exclusive polling out this week which showed a five per cent swing against the government.

Some MPs are now confident that swing could increase, but say much is dependent on the performance of the Liberal Party.

“We have to show we are united, and ready to govern,” one senior source said.

It is hoped the appointment of Stevens, who will report to Director of Communications Mitch Grayson, could help consolidate the party’s key messaging.

The move comes after Stevens last month revealed his shock bowel cancer diagnosis.

The father of two had surgery to remove the affected area in late March and after being told it was stage one, avoided further treatment.

Stevens will start in the role on July 12.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2021, 05:07 PM
Good luck to him. We need to get another strong bulldogs voice into prominence. Landsberger?

comrade
24-06-2021, 05:08 PM
Rumour is he accepted a job with the Libs, thinking he'd be working with the Liberatore family.

bornadog
24-06-2021, 05:12 PM
I stopped following him on twitter after all is RW views. This confirms what I think of him - what a shame, should have stuck to sports journo.

Rocco Jones
24-06-2021, 05:16 PM
I stopped following him on twitter after all is RW views. This confirms what I think of him - what a shame, should have stuck to sports journo.

Ha, I think I share your political leanings. Look, maybe this can help us. Been pretty clear of late on twitter which way he leans. I guess enough politics from me on here.

Happy Days
24-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Guess now that the Dogs are good Stevo has to look outside footy to satiate his attraction to total losers.

Who even knew there was a Victorian Liberal Party anyway?

Rocco Jones
24-06-2021, 05:27 PM
Who even knew there was a Victorian Liberal* Party anyway?

*Qanon. Fixed.

Axe Man
24-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Guess now that the Dogs are good Stevo has to look outside footy to satiate his attraction to total losers.

Who even knew there was a Victorian Liberal Party anyway?

Hopefully his turd polishing skills are on point. Apparently he considered applying for the Gold Coast coaching job but wanted a real challenge.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-06-2021, 05:49 PM
Rumour is he accepted a job with the Libs, thinking he'd be working with the Liberatore family.

Why would he accept the job without first confirming it was actually working with the Liberatore family comrade? Seems a bit of a silly oversight.

comrade
24-06-2021, 06:10 PM
Nice to see WOOF tolerance on full display in this thread.

Rocco Jones
24-06-2021, 06:28 PM
Nice to see WOOF tolerance on full display in this thread.

I guess intolerance towards intolerance is a deep rabbit hole of an argument on a footy forum.

EasternWest
24-06-2021, 06:33 PM
I guess intolerance towards intolerance is a deep rabbit hole of an argument on a footy forum.

I find this comment intolerable.

GVGjr
24-06-2021, 06:35 PM
Good luck to Stevo. I don't follow anyone expressing political views on Twitter etc as it's just not my go but I will certainly miss his footy feeds.

Happy Days
24-06-2021, 06:49 PM
More on topic - who is the club going to drip feed info to now? Landsberger?

jeemak
24-06-2021, 06:50 PM
Big job ahead. Good luck to him, if that's what he wants to get involved with.

Rocco Jones
24-06-2021, 07:35 PM
I find this comment intolerable.

I find your comment intolerable too.

EasternWest
24-06-2021, 09:16 PM
I find your comment intolerable too.

Did we just enter above rabbit hole?

jeemak
24-06-2021, 09:19 PM
More on topic - who is the club going to drip feed info to now? Landsberger?

I know Sedat would like to hear more from Bob Murphy.

EasternWest
24-06-2021, 09:39 PM
I know Sedat would like to hear more from Bob Murphy.

I too am ready for a sedat rant

Rocco Jones
24-06-2021, 10:07 PM
Did we just enter above rabbit hole?

I think we clearly entered an alternate and/or parallel universe.

Eastdog
24-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Good luck to Mark Stevens in his new role.

Never talk about politics, sex or religion at work or at a function.

https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/sex-religion-politics-stay-discussing-office/

EasternWest
24-06-2021, 10:15 PM

What if I'm a religious politician at an annual brothel awards dinner on official business?

Eastdog
24-06-2021, 10:19 PM
What if I'm a religious politician at an annual brothel awards dinner on official business?

That’s a tough one :D:D

Sedat
24-06-2021, 10:26 PM
I too am ready for a sedat rant
Feeling pretty zen tonight. Cats are getting hammered and I can't even gripe with the usually garbage ch 7 coverage, as Jason Bennett is doing that strange thing of effective play-by-play commentary with a minimum of fuss.

Stevo is still a young man with a young family, and who has just recovered from a significant cancer scare - some of the comments on here are downright bizarre, pretty distasteful and quite unhinged at best. I hope he finds happiness and enjoyment in his new role.

It seems that some people are more passionate about their political affiliations than their footy team, which I personally find very strange. Even stranger is feeling the need to parade these affiliations like it fervently matters on a footy fan site.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-06-2021, 10:26 PM

Then enjoy yourself, and repent afterwards. Taste that sweet, sweet absolution.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Feeling pretty zen tonight. Cats are getting hammered and I can't even gripe with the usually garbage ch 7 coverage, as Jason Bennett is doing that strange thing of effective play-by-play commentary with a minimum of fuss.

Stevo is still a young man with a young family, and who has just recovered from a significant cancer scare - some of the comments on here are downright bizarre, very distasteful and quite unhinged at best. I hope he finds happiness and enjoyment in his new role.

It seems that some people are more passionate about their political affiliations than their footy team, which I personally find very strange. Even stranger is feeling the need to parade these affiliations like it fervently matters on a footy fan site.

I worry for Jason. How long until he is mainstreamed into the horrible, superficial cult of channel 7?

jeemak
24-06-2021, 10:28 PM

Stevo is still a young man with a young family, and who has just recovered from a significant cancer scare - some of the comments on here are downright bizarre, very distasteful and quite unhinged at best. I hope he finds happiness and enjoyment in his new role.

I'm glad you're feeling Zen!

;)

1eyedog
24-06-2021, 10:30 PM

A function is just about the only place I'd talk about politics, sex or religion Easty.

jeemak
24-06-2021, 10:31 PM
As for Stevo, political affiliations aside, I don't think I could put myself in his shoes and say I'd be able to what he's doing one way or another as political expediency would completely trump transparent and quality messaging on either side of the political divide.

Perhaps he's wanting a change, and perhaps what he's changing towards shows just how superficial AFL media and crony oriented reporting has become. Ch7 is the official mouthpiece of the AFL, perhaps he got sick of the BS.

Sedat
24-06-2021, 10:34 PM
I'm glad you're feeling Zen!

;)
Zen with a dash of clarity ;)

Good luck to him. It will be a challenging role to say the least.

Rocco Jones
24-06-2021, 10:38 PM
Perhaps he's wanting a change, and perhaps what he's changing towards shows just how superficial AFL media and crony oriented reporting has become. Ch7 is the official mouthpiece of the AFL, perhaps he got sick of the BS.

If you're wanting to move away from a crony oriented career path, not sure working for either of our two major political parties is a good choice.

Sedat
24-06-2021, 10:40 PM
I worry for Jason. How long until he is mainstreamed into the horrible, superficial cult of channel 7?
Believe it or not, BT was an excellent play-by-play commentator when he was on Fox Footy circa 2011. Then he was ch 7'ed.

jeemak
24-06-2021, 10:41 PM
If you're wanting to move away from a crony oriented career path, not sure working for either of our two major political parties is a good choice.

Well that's kind of what I'm getting at.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2021, 10:42 PM
Believe it or not, BT was an excellent play-by-play commentator when he was on Fox Footy circa 2011. Then he was ch 7'ed.

No ‘oh boy woweee Mick Turner footy factory’ back then?

Rocco Jones
24-06-2021, 10:43 PM

Being 'Ch 7'ed' is very much like a pop music executive. 'Hmmm I love how you are passionate about constructing sentences analysing the game but our research indicates the fans love you screaming *insert word/catchphrase here* every two minutes.

Rocco Jones
24-06-2021, 10:44 PM
Well that's kind of what I'm getting at.

Ah maybe I should read and comprehend.

Sedat
24-06-2021, 10:45 PM
Being 'Ch 7'ed' is very much like a pop music executive. 'Hmmm I love how you are passionate about constructing sentences analysing the game but our research indicates the fans love you screaming *insert word/catchphrase here* every two minutes.
The ch 7 playbook revolves around the commentators being the stars of the coverage and not the players.

jeemak
24-06-2021, 10:46 PM
Ah maybe I should read and comprehend.

And stop being so unhinged! :D

jeemak
24-06-2021, 10:47 PM

What's the point of direct and to the point play by play commentary when you can hear the same extraneous information about someone in slightly different ways mid-play over and over again?

macca
24-06-2021, 11:00 PM

He was converted to Bruce’s baptisms of commentary specials . Everything else just followed the mainstream mediocrity ch7”d crap

jeemak
24-06-2021, 11:15 PM
He was converted to Bruce’s baptisms of commentary specials . Everything else just followed the mainstream mediocrity ch7”d crap

How much better is life without Bruce ruining games of football!

Happy Days
24-06-2021, 11:18 PM
How much better is life without Bruce ruining games of football!

Man I tried to watch back the 2020 Cats game last week and couldn’t do it once I heard his voice.

EasternWest
24-06-2021, 11:32 PM

Stevo is still a young man with a young family, and who has just recovered from a significant cancer scare - some of the comments on here are downright bizarre, pretty distasteful and quite unhinged at best. I hope he finds happiness and enjoyment in his new role.

Well that's half a rant so I guess it'll have to do. More of a passing comment type rant.

Let's get bark to Kardinia Park.

Twodogs
24-06-2021, 11:44 PM
That’s a tough one :D:D

That's what she said

Sedat
24-06-2021, 11:46 PM
Let's get bark to Kardinia Park.
I should have trademark registered the phrase "regional pissant white elephant toy ground"

Twodogs
24-06-2021, 11:51 PM
As for Stevo, political affiliations aside, I don't think I could put myself in his shoes and say I'd be able to what he's doing one way or another as political expediency would completely trump transparent and quality messaging on either side of the political divide.

I'm genuinely concerned for our fellow bulldog supporter. I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.

jeemak
25-06-2021, 01:08 AM
I'm genuinely concerned for our fellow bulldog supporter. I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.

Well you of Labor ties, conservative values and a conundrum purely born of your own devices if scared, he should be shitting himself.

jeemak
25-06-2021, 01:11 AM
I should have trademark registered the phrase "regional pissant white elephant toy ground"

In a utopian world where such things could be called out publicly you'd be a star! It's unfortunate that at all levels of politics, colours red and blue, you'll have no sympathetic ears.

Bulldog4life
25-06-2021, 09:18 AM
Some of my friends vote liberal. It is an unwritten agreement between us that we never discuss politics. Works like a charm.

Grantysghost
25-06-2021, 11:41 AM

So Scott Morrison?

https://media.giphy.com/media/h6aRMQhMZx8zRVdkbX/giphy.gif

EasternWest
25-06-2021, 02:46 PM
So Scott Morrison?

https://media.giphy.com/media/h6aRMQhMZx8zRVdkbX/giphy.gif

That looks like the worst brothel ever.

HOSE B ROMERO
26-06-2021, 03:55 PM

Damn that's a good point.

Twodogs
26-06-2021, 09:03 PM
Well you of Labor ties, conservative values and a conundrum purely born of your own devices if scared, he should be shitting himself.

If I were Stevo I'd be keeping a wary eye on my own side of politics-that's where the real threat will come from. He will be seen as O' Brien's man and one of the first pawns to be bought down in the inevitable move against him. It's going to be ugly.

Twodogs
26-06-2021, 09:16 PM
Some of my friends vote liberal. It is an unwritten agreement between us that we never discuss politics. Works like a charm.

When I was a kid one of my best mates barracked for North Melbourne, idolized John Howard, went to Melbourne Grammar and grew up on the corner of Punt Rd and Toorak Rd. We talked politics a lot but rarely argued about it.

I did draw the line at going to his celebration dinner when Howard won the '96 federal election though.

Axe Man
07-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Great News! Now Mark can get back to breaking Bulldogs stories.

Football reporter Mark Stevens leaves Victorian Liberal Party for return to journalism (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/football-reporter-mark-stevens-leaves-victorian-liberal-party-for-return-to-journalism/news-story/e4d65505659e2f6f4685b94fe223ff60)

Former Channel 7 chief football reporter Mark Stevens will return to journalism, dumping a stint in politics after just three months.

Mr Stevens left Channel 7 in June after almost a decade as a chief football reporter to take up a role as media manager with the Victorian Liberal Party.

He joined the network after 14 years at the Herald Sun and it was hoped his extensive media experience would bolster the team ahead of the 2022 state election.

But that was before former leader Michael O’Brien was toppled, sparking a party-wide staff shake-up.

As part of the restructure, O’Brien’s new chief of staff Mitch Grayson, who appointed Stevens, was replaced by Mitch Caitlin.

Mr Grayson subsequently left the party.

Former Queensland government media director Lee Anderson is currently running the Liberal’s communications team.

Mr Anderson has been in Melbourne for six years, after roles as news director for Channel 9 in Queensland and as chief spin doctor to former Queensland premier Campbell Newman.

Sources close to Mr Stevens said the stint in politics had served him well and proved he was not just a football reporter.

It is expected he will formally finish up with the Liberal Party as early as this week.

Bulldog Joe
07-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Would that count as a successful stint, since it has toppled one unelectable leader.

jeemak
07-10-2021, 12:05 PM
That's politics!

comrade
07-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Stevo spent most of his time with the Libs tweeting about the Dogs anyway.

bornadog
07-10-2021, 12:09 PM
It is expected he will formally finish up with the Liberal Party as early as this week.

Not true - Sky = Liberal Party :D

GVGjr
07-10-2021, 12:42 PM
Good to have him back as a footy journo. For some reason I found his views on us to be very balanced :)

Twodogs
07-10-2021, 12:55 PM
Not true - Sky = Liberal Party :D

There's a big difference between Sky during the day and Sky After Dark. Daytime Sky is pretty straight forward non opinionated coverage of political events whereas Sky After Dark is full on deranged talking heads.

Twodogs
07-10-2021, 12:55 PM
If I were Stevo I'd be keeping a wary eye on my own side of politics-that's where the real threat will come from. He will be seen as O' Brien's man and one of the first pawns to be bought down in the inevitable move against him. It's going to be ugly.

Told you.

bornadog
07-10-2021, 12:58 PM
Good to have him back as a footy journo. For some reason I found his views on us to be very balanced :)

Yes that is true

Sedat
07-10-2021, 01:48 PM
Would that count as a successful stint, since it has toppled one unelectable leader.
Was slightly longer than Mal Meninga's political career.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2021, 02:11 PM

Best political ‘career’ in the history of democracy. The footage always makes me smile.

Axe Man
07-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Best political ‘career’ in the history of democracy. The footage always makes me smile.

Billy Brownless gives him a run.

jeemak
07-10-2021, 02:24 PM

It's an amazing story, and the footage is brilliant.

Pulls out the ear piece, and leaves the studio. Legend.

comrade
07-10-2021, 02:58 PM
It's an amazing story, and the footage is brilliant.

Pulls out the ear piece, and leaves the studio. Legend.

Imagine if all politicians who were clearly incompetent just pulled the pin like that. We’d have no one left!

jeemak
07-10-2021, 03:00 PM
Imagine if all politicians who were clearly incompetent just pulled the pin like that. We’d have no one left!

I don't think any of them have the self awareness to be able to make the call.

With Mel I wonder if the little man inside his head was trying to convince him for a while, or whether it was a light bulb moment and he just cut and run.

Sedat
07-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Never a truer word spoken. Pollies of all persuasions are deeply unimpressive, thoroughly mediocre people who would not last one day with a real job and real accountability in the private sector. Spending other people's hard-earned money is the biggest grift in the world.

bornadog
07-10-2021, 03:08 PM

Not with the Super they get when they retire or get kicked out at the election

EasternWest
07-10-2021, 03:40 PM
Told you.

Nailed it.

Now I can go back to reading his partisan tripe that I at least agree with.

SquirrelGrip
07-10-2021, 05:13 PM

https://youtu.be/Dt--SGmIKIQ

BornInDroopSt'54
07-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Billy Brownless gives him a run.

Percy Jones, goal post kicker was recruited by the unLibs.

Twodogs
07-10-2021, 10:11 PM
Nailed it.

Now I can go back to reading his partisan tripe that I at least agree with.

Yep. His tweeting should improve markedly.

Twodogs
07-10-2021, 10:13 PM
Percy Jones, goal post kicker was recruited by the unLibs.

He was totally unsuited to a job in politics but "Point Percy at Parliament" was one of the great campaign slogans.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 10:00 PM
Anyone a clue why seemingly out of nowhere Stevo is defending Josh Bruce on Twitter?

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 10:19 PM
Anyone a clue why seemingly out of nowhere Stevo is defending Josh Bruce on Twitter?

There was a call on Trade Radio that suggested he should go to Melbourne and I think some on Twitter jumped on that.
I think the same call also was shipping off Hunter to the Dees as well.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 10:25 PM
There was a call on Trade Radio that suggested he should go to Melbourne and I think some on Twitter jumped on that.
I think the same call also was shipping off Hunter to the Dees as well.

That’s all? Geez I don’t get social media…

jazzadogs
07-10-2022, 10:28 PM

I think you don't get Stevo. And neither does anyone else.

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 10:36 PM

It was always going to be a big ask to expect him to come back from the injury so late in the season and it's one of the things that annoys me with Bevo is that we kept playing Bruce when he clearly wasn't ready or in the required form.
The net result is now too many people think he's done. I'm confident Bruce can be a good player for us next season if he has a solid pre-season. Bringing in Lobb could be a challenge for Bruce though.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 10:41 PM
It was always going to be a big ask to expect him to come back from the injury so late in the season and it's one of the things that annoys me with Bevo is that we kept playing Bruce when he clearly wasn't ready or in the required form.
The net result is now too many people think he's done. I'm confident Bruce can be a good player for us next season if he has a solid pre-season. Bringing in Lobb could be a challenge for Bruce though.

There’s always a spot down back for a big bodied KPP…

GVGjr
07-10-2022, 10:50 PM

Perhaps that could work.
Naughton, Lobb and Bruce could create some headaches for opposition defenders let alone adding JUH if Bruce was moved back.

What did he kick in 2021 something like 48 goals and that is hard to replace.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2022, 10:55 PM
Perhaps that could work.
Naughton, Lobb and Bruce could create some headaches for opposition defenders let alone adding JUH if Bruce was moved back.

What did he kick in 2021 something like 48 goals and that is hard to replace.

48.21 according to Stevo’s tweet. Better than 66% accuracy is amazing. I’m guessing on Dickson had that type of accuracy of recent times of players who kicked say 25-30+ in a season.

bornadog
08-10-2022, 12:12 AM

Where he played for GWS