PDA

View Full Version : Rate a team in 2013: Essendon

Dry Rot
10-01-2013, 11:04 PM
A good friend of mine is a Bombers fan and always full of it at this time of the season with his team's prospects.

Some years ago, he turned up at a dinner here with Bombers membership forms but was thankfully put his place by my Sainter mate Gill, who threatened him with a meat cleaver. (Dinners here can get out of hand).

But back onto the Bombers. They apparently have the dreamtime coaching panel ;) and looked like world beaters early last season, until it all fell apart.

Can they now make the next step in 2013 and go deep in September, or is my mate and his Bomber friends just full of it for another year?

AndrewP6
10-01-2013, 11:44 PM
I have a mate who is very much the same. I have no reason to believe he or they will be any different this year.

bornadog
10-01-2013, 11:45 PM
They are a bit like Richmond, they have some good players but lack the real key positions down the spine. Both Richmond and Essendon leak too many goals which is dangerous against the real contenders.

Dry Rot
10-01-2013, 11:53 PM
I have a mate who is very much the same.

They are an arrogant lot.

I remember years ago watching a Dogs versus Bombers game at a sports club near the Gladesville bridge. It was pre-Foxtel, Channel sevens C7 live Friday night coverage.

There were a lot of people there but initially it was hard to tell what their allegiances were.

There were a handful of doggies tragics like myself in our colours, and lots of loud young folk just milling around. But about 10 min before the start of the game, the room turned into some sort of Nazi convention. Jumpers and coats were pulled off revealing a roomful of black shirts with red stripes. To their credit, they were kind of polite engaging with the doggies folk and saying that it might be a good game but the result was obvious.

The year was 2000. The Bombers were invincible and had not lost a game, until that glorious night when we beat the bastards.

You can see it is etched on my memory–it must've been fantastic sitting at the ground and watching it all live.

AndrewP6
11-01-2013, 12:00 AM

I remember years ago watching a Dogs versus Bombers game at a sports club near the Gladesville bridge. It was pre-Foxtel, Channel sevens C7 live Friday night coverage.

There were a lot of people there but initially it was hard to tell what their allegiances were.

There were a handful of doggies tragics like myself in our colours, and lots of loud young folk just milling around. But about 10 min before the start of the game, the room turned into some sort of Nazi convention. Jumpers and coats were pulled off revealing a roomful of black shirts with red stripes. To their credit, they were kind of polite engaging with the doggies folk and saying that it might be a good game but the result was obvious.

The year was 2000. The Bombers were invincible and had not lost a game, until that glorious night when we beat the bastards.

You can see it is etched on my memory–it must've been fantastic sitting at the ground and watching it all live.

Ah yes, remember it well. I went to a game with him a couple of years back, it was a real game of two halves. We were shite in the first half, and I sat looking forlorn for most of it. We came to life in the 2nd half and won it, and boy did I enjoy that win! He moaned about it for weeks.

Remi Moses
11-01-2013, 12:09 AM
In that logjam who could make the eight.
Goddard's a big inclusion, but Hurley standing up and relying on 75 year old Fletcher isn't ideal.
Pressure might come on the golden boy if they don't make it.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Should make top 6, possibly higher if they avoid injuries which they have not been able to do for a while now.

boydogs
11-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Have a lot of work to do on their defense and fitness, 6th-10th.

Ghost Dog
11-01-2013, 01:45 AM
There team has not changed radically besides the inclusion of Goddard. Can't see them coming close to the quality that we saw in last year's final, Syd V Hawthorn. That's the yardstick.

jeemak
11-01-2013, 02:05 AM
If they get their conditioning to a point where they can play out the season at a high intensity then they'll easily make the eight.

They played exceptional football last year, though it was clear they went for too much from a physical development perspective. The result was nine rounds of very good performances, and thirteen rounds of tired and crippled by injury performances.

I don't think they are capable of making the top four, though if they're more conservative in their player preparation and minimise soft tissue injuries they'll be able to climb as high as fifth on the ladder.

Whilst they do rely on Fletcher too much, his role is going to keep evolving to that of a handyman moreso than a KPP. Give him a second string tall forward to outsmart and he'll be fine.

Their midfield is going to be bolstered by Goddard, no question about that.

Greystache
11-01-2013, 10:50 AM
I've seen a lot of Essendon play and I'm still unsure as to how to rate them. Equally my in laws who are usually very bullish Essendon supporters are pretty reserved about the upcoming season. They have some talent and have played some very good footy at times, but they have so many question marks over areas of the team and individual players.

They have a lot of players they are relying on to take the next step to get them into contender status such as Hurley, Bellchambers, Melksham, Crameri, Hooker, and Zaharakis, but most of them have only shown glimpses over the past 2-3 years and haven't put together any consistently good stretches of form. I think with a decent run of injuries they can finish 5-8th but I think they rely on their star senior players to play a key role every week and not enough players do the heavy lifting when it gets tough.

DragzLS1
11-01-2013, 12:43 PM
essendon are another Carlton imo.. Ver good full full squad and p[lay some exciting football.. But a few injuries and they are gone!

Pickenitup
11-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Wont make the Eight not enough Midfield depth and too soft imo

Ozza
11-01-2013, 03:37 PM
If they aren't decimated by injuries like they have been in recent years - then I think they are a chance of being a top 4 side.

They certainly have the ability to play a very very high standard of footy. They also have a batch of about 8 good young players going in to their 3rd, 4th,5th or 6th seasons - which places them well to be an improver.

Conservatively I'd say 5th-7th - but wouldn't be surprised at all if they are top 4.

DragzLS1
11-01-2013, 05:02 PM
judged by the mixed responses in this thread, I wont be putting any money on essendon this season :p

LostDoggy
02-02-2013, 01:33 AM
I think Goddard and Watson in the same Midfield is pretty scary. I think Hurley is going to play in the back line that's how much luxury they have down Forward. Two inclusions of Gumby and Daniher which is the unknown, I think we will see how good they will be in a couple of weeks. I've hird they are much fitter which without the injuries of last year will see them go deep in September.

GVGjr
04-02-2013, 09:19 PM
I can see them being real contenders this year if injuries are reasonable.
I won't be happy about it because I'd like to see them struggle but their playing list looks impressive.

LostDoggy
05-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Maybe they've had a bit of a leg-up, if Twitter is correct today.

G-Mo77
05-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Yes I'm sitting here waiting to hear what they've got to say. I hope the club gets burned at the stake!

Remi Moses
05-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Their looking at Lance Armstrong as high performance manager.
What a vague waste of time that Press conference was.
The way social media gets hold of issues, you're better advised to be more transparent

LostDoggy
05-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Their looking at Lance Armstrong as high performance manager.
What a vague waste of time that Press conference was.
The way social media gets hold of issues, you're better advised to be more transparent

Yeah, it's tough isn't it? The legal world hasn't really caught up though, and I can imagine if they started going into specifics they could inadvertently find themselves deeper in the shit. I thought having the press conference was a waste of time altogether. Had the same effect that hiding from the cameras shouting “no comment” as you get into your car outside Windy Hill would've had.

Happy Days
06-02-2013, 02:12 PM
So The Weapon has gone from an overbearing dickhead to a black cloud on the whole code?

How long till we start asking questions about the Geelong "dynasty" that he helped turn around?

jeemak
06-02-2013, 02:25 PM
So The Weapon has gone from an overbearing dickhead to a black cloud on the whole code?

How long till we start asking questions about the Geelong "dynasty" that he helped turn around?

This is such a suitable summation of how he has been to this point. Excellent.

Twodogs
06-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Some years ago, he turned up at a dinner here with Bombers membership forms but was thankfully put his place by my Sainter mate Gill, who threatened him with a meat cleaver. (Dinners here can get out of hand).

That's nothing to what it used to get like at the Barkly st end of Whitten Oval or in front of the scoreboard at Windy Hill. Windy Hill was more feral than Vic Park.

Try living in the suburb next to them. Only Racecourse rd separates the scum sucking bottom feeders from Windy Hill to the suave, sophisticated types that frequent the Whitten Oval. It's funny though-I drive through Essendon everyday and I see far more Bulldog bumper stickers on cars and shirts/caps/scarves/merchandise on people than I see people with Essendon gear there.

It was. The scenes at the end of the game were incredible. One old lady draped in red, white and blue sitting a couple of seats in front of us had been copping it from the arrogant
pricks who were sure that Essendon would win. We'd asked her a couple of times if she'd like us to intercede on her behalf but she said no both times. The tirade she let loose with when the siren blew was a thing of beauty to watch. My mates and I had blocked the Essendon supporters in by standing at either end of their row and making sure they stayed exactly where they were and taking the gobful of abuse what was coming their way.