PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sheahan top 50

Greystache
11-03-2013, 07:03 PM
2013 edition, probably a better list than many of his other efforts. Normally it's littered with overhyped media favourites. Judd and Goodes are probably 2 exceptions however.

1. Gary Ablett (GC)
2. Scott Pendlebury (Coll)
3. Patrick Dangerfield (Adel)
4. Lance Franklin (Haw)
5. Joel Selwood (Geel)
6. Josh Kennedy (Syd)
7. Trent Cotchin (Rich)
8. Jobe Watson (Ess)
9. Taylor Walker (Adel)
10. Dayne Beams (Coll)

11. Sam Mitchell (Haw)
12. Travis Cloke (Coll)
13. Dane Swan (Coll)
14. Marc Murphy (Carl)
15. Adam Goodes (Syd)
16. Dean Cox (WCE)
17. Tom Hawkins (Geel)
18. Chris Judd (Carl)
19. Matthew Pavlich (Freo)
20. Scott Thompson (Adel)

21. Nathan Fyfe (Freo)
22. Kieren Jack (Syd)
23. Steve Johnson (Geel)
24. Ryan O'Keefe (Syd)
25. Nick Naitanui (WCE)
26. Rory Sloane (Adel)
27. Sam Jacobs (Adel)
28. Drew Petrie (North)
29. Scott Selwood (WCE)
30. Jimmy Bartel (Geel)

31. Brett Deledio (Rich)
32. Ryan Griffen (WB)
33. Harry Taylor (Geel)
34. Darren Glass (WCE)
35. Andrew Swallow (North)
36. Cyril Rioli (Haw)
37. Lenny Hayes (St K)
38. Brad Sewell (Haw)
39. Corey Enright (Geel)
40. Steele Sidebottom (Coll)

41. Shane Mumford (Syd)
42. Dustin Martin (Rich)
43. Daniel Rich (Bris)
44. Dale Thomas (Coll)
45. Brendon Goddard (Ess)
46. Jarryd Roughead (Haw)
47. Nick Riewoldt (St K)
48. Daniel Wells (North)
49. Bryce Gibbs (Carl)
50. Ted Richards (Syd)

Greystache
11-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Griffen the only Bulldog player to make it.

chef
11-03-2013, 07:14 PM
No Boyd is puzzling.

Greystache
11-03-2013, 07:16 PM
No Jack Riewoldt is probably even more puzzling, especially when Cloke and Frankin are so high, and Hawkins, Roughead, and N Reiwoldt are also in there.

Go_Dogs
11-03-2013, 07:19 PM
It's a good effort, all players listed have strong claims. Hopefully we have more than one player in the years end list.

GVGjr
11-03-2013, 08:35 PM
No Jack Riewoldt is probably even more puzzling, especially when Cloke and Frankin are so high, and Hawkins, Roughead, and N Reiwoldt are also in there.

Agreed. Riewoldt should be in the top 40.

Bulldog Revolution
11-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Well once again I think its poor, but maybe Im not clear what the list represents

Is it the state of the AFL now, before the season begins? and so really a post 2012? or is it a projection of 2013?

The problem for me is that he does a whole range of players where its on years worth of performances on the board e.g Dean Cox, Chris Judd etc? and then he decides he loves an emerging player whose had a good year and played very well but really is Rory Sloane really the 26th best player in the league?

Dont get me wrong I like him, but really, is he performing better than Swallow, Griffen etc?

And then you have guys that he likes, but on no reasonable basis of 2012 could they be in the list. I find it amazing Gibbs is in the top 50 players in the league based on anything he has delivered, and Thomas is gifted a spot also.

Taylor Walker at 9 and no Jack Riewoldt? - how does that make sense?

The list to me lacks a coherent logic of what it is, and therefore its classic Mike, lacks substance.

jeemak
11-03-2013, 09:27 PM
BR, I think it's a list based on what Captain Changeshismindalot thinks will be the best 50 for the season.

He then changes his mind mid-season, and then changes his mind post-season to wrap it up.

hujsh
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Basically a whole load of nothing to get people talking about the merits of the load of nothing.

LostDoggy
11-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Not to Collingwood bash, but are Beams and Cloke better than some of those names below them?? Maybe I need to pay more attention to Pies games.

Topdog
12-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Beams certainly deserves his place.

Cox doesn't, will be lucky to play 15 games this year.

Bulldog Joe
12-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Beams certainly deserves his place.

Cox doesn't, will be lucky to play 15 games this year.

Have I missed something on Sandilands. I know he is currently injured, but didn't realise he was finished.

That would be the only reason for Cox to be so high with Sandilands missing altogether.

Cox is certainly passed his best.

Topdog
12-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah i thought the same. Assumed Sandi would be back within the first few rounds, not sure though.

GVGjr
12-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Yeah i thought the same. Assumed Sandi would be back within the first few rounds, not sure though.

They were saying mid season for Sandilands

ratsmac
13-03-2013, 06:53 PM
I've never paid too much attention to Mike Shehan's top fiddy. Most have been based on his current and passed man crushes he has. If you can kick a couple of flashy goals a game your in!

jeemak
14-03-2013, 01:54 AM
I've never paid too much attention to Mike Shehan's top fiddy. Most have been based on his current and passed man crushes he has. If you can kick a couple of flashy goals a game your in!

I'm completely numb towards the vast majority of the football media these days.

It shows a lot that I maybe go to The Age for a couple of columnists pieces, and here for football writing (as I rate the people around here to the point where they're a fantastic vetting system of noise). I don't watch any of the major football shows on TV anymore either, they're just BS.

Cross media ownership has ruined the reporting and analyis of the game. From a commercial perspective the guy on the radio also has a spot on TV, and he uses his spot on TV to sell the next day's paper. Who could seriously be bothered with that?

I'll take interacting with you degenerates over that any day of the week!

Bulldog Joe
14-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I'll take interacting with you degenerates over that any day of the week!

Pretty good point. At least we are passionate degenerates about our team and the game, while most of the media are passionate about themselves.

Mofra
14-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Big calls to put Goodes & Cox that high - both awesome in their prime, but can they stay injury free and still play at their normal level? The drop off tends to be pretty quick (Johnno's penultimate season had him at 4th in our B&F). I probably have the same question marks over Glass, who is 32 in May.

I know some don't want to hear it, but Callan Ward is stiff to miss out - carried his team last year, becoming a very complete footballer. Andrew Swallow could very well shoot up the rankings too.

LostDoggy
15-03-2013, 09:40 AM
I was about to comment, then I thought to myself, “Meh.”

It's an arbitrary list that tells the world absolutely nothing other than his own opinions and evaluations of the AFL playing group. It's no better than listing his fantasy team.

Topdog
16-03-2013, 05:16 AM
Big calls to put Goodes & Cox that high - both awesome in their prime, but can they stay injury free and still play at their normal level? The drop off tends to be pretty quick (Johnno's penultimate season had him at 4th in our B&F). I probably have the same question marks over Glass, who is 32 in May.

I know some don't want to hear it, but Callan Ward is stiff to miss out - carried his team last year, becoming a very complete footballer. Andrew Swallow could very well shoot up the rankings too.

Cox is going to be rested a lot this year, thats already been decided by WCE, they want him fresh come finals time. Wouldn't be surprised if he misses 7 or 8 games.