PDA

View Full Version : Rate a 2007 retiree: Byron Pickett - champ or sniper?

Dry Rot
05-10-2007, 12:30 PM
IIRC played at three clubs, excelled at two (how many premiership sides was he in? Didn't he win a Norm Smith?). I can recall him winning a game against us off his own boot.

But he seems to polarise fans - some admired his hardness, others thought he crossed the line/

Thoughts?

The Underdog
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Can it be both?
At his best was a brilliant damaging footballer in more ways than one.
But paid the price for the way he played and some of his hits crossed the line.
His physicality could lift the team though, and certainly wasn't afraid to put his head over it himself.
Last year was a disappointing way to finish.

mjp
05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
IIRC played at three clubs, excelled at two (how many premiership sides was he in? Didn't he win a Norm Smith?). I can recall him winning a game against us off his own boot.

But he seems to polarise fans - some admired his hardness, others thought he crossed the line/

Thoughts?

CHAMP.

Twodogs
05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I was there the day Neil Sasche was paralysed. I didnt like the way he targeted players with their head over the ball. He passes my footy test though-"Would I have him at the Bulldogs"

mjp
05-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I was there the day Neil Sasche was paralysed. I didnt like the way he targeted players with their head over the ball. He passes my footy test though-"Would I have him at the Bulldogs"

Fair enough. I dont think he targetted players with their heads over the ball though - he simply targeted everyone he thought he could hit! There were a couple of times that he ran past the ball to hit someone and I never liked that, but to be honest when you go out there determined to influence the game with physical contact...well, these things happen.

His game in the 2004 Grand Final was sublime. Goals, hits, pin-point passes, courageous marks...unbelievable.

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
He took out Grant when neither of them were even involved in the play.

Twodogs
05-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Fair enough. I dont think he targetted players with their heads over the ball though - he simply targeted everyone he thought he could hit! There were a couple of times that he ran past the ball to hit someone and I never liked that, but to be honest when you go out there determined to influence the game with physical contact...well, these things happen.

His game in the 2004 Grand Final was sublime. Goals, hits, pin-point passes, courageous marks...unbelievable.

In every other circumstance I would completly agree with you. Whatever it takes with whatever you're best at. But every time I see a player's head get contacted with a hip, shoulder or knee I just cant get that mental image of Sasche out of my head.

The Underdog
05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
I can't remember who he hit, but earlier this year he got a Port player at the MCG and the player was knocked out and stretchered off. It actually seemed to shake him up quite badly, it may have been a case of one hit too many, especially as it was a Port player.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2007, 05:00 PM
The type of player that made me wish Mark West had played more than 16 games for the club - perhaps 16 of the most spectacular games every played

Topdog
05-10-2007, 06:46 PM
He was both in my opinion but as mjp said thats what happens when you are determined to influence a game using physical contact.

and I hear you Bulldog Revolution. Can't believe he only played 16 games. I bet everyone remembers him though.

GVGjr
05-10-2007, 10:21 PM
IMO he was neither a champ nor a sniper although there are some instances that he probably shouldn't be proud of. He had a dip and was pretty sharp but just didn't give footy the level of attention that he should have.
A very good player on a good day.

LostDoggy
05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
He was a good player but not a champ.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2007, 11:08 PM
IMO he was neither a champ nor a sniper although there are some instances that he probably shouldn't be proud of. He had a dip and was pretty sharp but just didn't give footy the level of attention that he should have.
A very good player on a good day.

I get the feeling that mjp rates him so highly because he delivered on the biggest stage of all.

Its always hard to comment on hypotheticals but:

If he was a Bulldog delivering us our second premiership would you have considered him a champ?

bornadog
05-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I get the feeling that mjp rates him so highly because he delivered on the biggest stage of all.

If he was a Bulldog delivering us our second premiership would you have considered him a champ?

He was fantastic in that Grand Final, not sure I can call him a champ as that has to be reserved for someone that hardly ever puts in a bad game and is always amongst the best for the day. Love to have had Pickett at the Dogs and yes I can't believe Mark West only played 16 games.

GVGjr
05-10-2007, 11:59 PM

Very tough question. I suppose any player that delivers on the big day would enjoy an inflated sense of worth by the fans. To be honest I think the whole champion tag is used way to freely in the footy world. I don't think I would have ever said that he was a champ but perhaps I would have said that on a good day he could mix it with the best.

BulldogBelle
06-10-2007, 04:02 PM
To me he was more of the sniper variety, I was never really a fan of his - whenever I saw him play I always wondered who he would be lining up for a hit. Those will be my memories of him as a player. Sad but true.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2007, 09:43 AM
To me he was more of the sniper variety, I was never really a fan of his - whenever I saw him play I always wondered who he would be lining up for a hit. Those will be my memories of him as a player. Sad but true.

Thats understandable - he did put some horrible hits on guys where he completely ignored the ball

GVGjr - the term champion is thrown around too losely - Pickett is a long way off that company but clearly the Port fans will remember his GF performance for many years

BulldogBelle
08-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Thats understandable - he did put some horrible hits on guys where he completely ignored the ball

I am sure he did some good things but the bad overshadows the good. Mud sticks.

mjp
08-10-2007, 09:34 PM
I am sure he did some good things but the bad overshadows the good. Mud sticks.

Bad overshadows good? Are you serious?

BulldogBelle
08-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Yes, my opinion ofcourse, can't help how I feel about him and the way he plays his football.

LostDoggy
08-10-2007, 10:05 PM

It does for me as well, always, well, almost always. I didn't watch a lot of Byron Pickett, but I wouldn't call him a champion, he was a great player, but crossed the line a few too many times.

mjp
08-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes, my opinion ofcourse, can't help how I feel about him and the way he plays his football.

Sorry.

- Indigenous team of the century.
- 2 premierships - Including 1 Norm Smith Medal
- Rising Star Award Winner
- 170-odd games (and nearly as many goals).

When you say 'The way he plays his football', what precisely do you mean?

1/.I will cop the Krummel incident as a bad one. But that was 10 years ago.
2/.The bump on that Adelaide bloke in a pre-season game? Nothing in it.
3/.Biglands - legit hip and shoulder.
4/.I seem to remember him getting a Carlton player in a charging type incident...

He was only suspended 3 or 4 times in his career - and never for striking. Look at some old footage of heroes of our club throwing backhanders around, yet for some reason all of that is forgotten in the mists of all our memories. We all say we love hard at it players, players with a love for the contest...but do we really?

Pickett became the games most intimidating player at a shade under 5"10. That is incredible. He influenced where opposition players ran, got them looking around, simply by trotting onto the field. And he made his team-mates walk taller. Every side he went too - with the exception of 2007 - they were winners, and he was a big part of it. How better to define a career than with one word - WINNER.

If you want to criticise his sometimes appalling off-field behavior, particularly in relation to drink and car-keys, well I would not stand in your way. But he was a seriously good player, and directly or indirectly influenced the result of a lot of games in his decade or so at AFL level.

I wish we had someone with his love of contact and willingness to use it at our club.

BulldogBelle
08-10-2007, 10:26 PM
- Indigenous team of the century.
- 2 premierships - Including 1 Norm Smith Medal
- Rising Star Award Winner
- 170-odd games (and nearly as many goals).

When you say 'The way he plays his football', what precisely do you mean?

I am well aware of his accolades and as I said it is my opinion - I just see him being of the sniper variety - whether he got reported, suspended, reprimanded his intentions were not always to go for the ball. I love the toughness the players dish but not when they consistantly try to take someone out when the opposition player's head is over the ball. I remember Grant getting lined up by him on a couple of occasions.

firstdogonthemoon
09-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Have to agree with mjp. champchampchamp

I am concerned however that I have already posted something similar in this thread and yet I cannot see it.

It has either been deleted in some sort of mod conspiracy, I am losing my mind or I dreamt it.

Anyway, I have always been a big fan of Byron. I think mjp summed it up beautifully.

GVGjr
09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I am concerned however that I have already posted something similar in this thread and yet I cannot see it.

It has either been deleted in some sort of mod conspiracy, I am losing my mind or I dreamt it.

Mods are not guilty on this one so it might be the latter :)

Dry Rot
11-10-2007, 02:45 PM

It's all three.

Tomorrow you'll wake up and think you are Patrick Bowden.

lukedarcy14
11-10-2007, 07:11 PM
hard at it could win a game off his own boot, was in the wrong at times but always had the football world talking, CHAMP

Raw Toast
15-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Probably not a champion but I don't think it's been mentioned here that many regarded him as the best player in the 1999 grand final.

To play that well in two grand finals is pretty impressive imo.

Liked watching him as a player - so explosive but could be deft if need be. And liked the way he imposed himself on the game, though I didn't like it when he ran past the ball and am glad of the crack-down on head-high hits.

benny
15-10-2007, 09:25 PM
he was a average player played at north when they were flying he was just a player

The Underdog
15-10-2007, 09:44 PM
he was a average player played at north when they were flying he was just a player

Welcome aboard Benny,
I don't want to come across as patronising straight up, but grammar is appreciated here.
Cheers.

The Coon Dog
15-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Welcome aboard Benny,
I don't want to come across as patronising straight up, but grammar is appreciated here.
Cheers.

What he means Benny, is that we are pompous toffs on this board! :D

The Underdog
15-10-2007, 10:07 PM
What he means Benny, is that we are pompous toffs on this board! :D

...and proud of it. But nice once you get to know us and our ways

LostDoggy
15-10-2007, 10:12 PM
He might not have been a champ but he ceratinly made his teammates walk tall and was a good contributor in some good teams. I didn't approve of his methods as he only hit guys with their head over the ball but he was very valuable.

Remember the N Brown 'bird' $5K game at Telstra Dome when he basically won for North that day by kicking some rippers.

Go_Dogs
16-10-2007, 10:05 AM
You can't deny his talent. He just didn't have the work ethic to take his game from 'star talent' to 'champion player'.

He certainly played some ripper games over the years, was forceful and skillful at the same time. I actually wanted us to pick him up when he left Port back in 05.