PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors- Round 1

Greystache
30-03-2013, 12:59 PM
This is the round 1 edition of the Weekly*!Bankers*!and Anchors*!Thread. Once the game against Brisbane is concluded post your nominations for:

The*!Bankers*!= 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The*!Anchors*!= 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor playPlease limit it to*!no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions.

As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who*!passed away*!on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Fire away

Hotdog60
30-03-2013, 05:47 PM
The*!Bankers*!=
The western Bulldogs Players: Stuck to a plan and got the rewards
The Bulldogs Coaching Staff: Made a plan and got it to work
The Bulldogs Medical Staff: Our players were hard at it and managed to stay on the park

The*!Anchors*!=
Dwayne Russell: The obvious
The woofers that thought we would cop a hiding (sorry guys just a friendly stir no malice:D)
The video ref. That was a goal of the Lions shin.

Go_Dogs
30-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Bankers:
1. Murph's goal
2. Griffen kicking some very nice balls
3. Roughead's effort on Brown/ Lower on Rich

Anchors:
1. Some poor umpiring early in the piece missing a number of free kicks for push in the back for our defenders.
2. The goal review system, just isn't working.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 05:58 PM
The woofers that thought we would cop a hiding (sorry guys just a friendly stir no malice:D
I'm happy to be one of these people to now cop it. I thought we'd be hammered today. Extremely happy I was wrong.

The video ref. That was a goal of the Lions shin.
Not that it makes it right, but they were given one straight back with the Cooney no hand pass/ 50m.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Bankers:
The obvious ones: Griffin, Morris, Goodes, Cooney, Murph, Gia etc etc.
Minson: absolutely beasted some marks today! Played like the massive unit he is.
Jordan Roughead: Owed Brown, was not intimidated in the slightest.
Special mention to Lower, hardly saw Riche or whatever the ranga's name is?

Anchors:
Video ref: not only doesn't work, but it takes far too long to get a wrong decision.
Pearce Hanley: Great effort kneeing Gia, top class defence:rolleyes:. Tool.
Jones: (Sorry woofers had to do it), With the team dominating the game/clearances /and inside 50s about as good as a team can. Finishing with 2 marks and last (even behind the sub) in possessions is not good.

bornadog
30-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Bankers

1. Libba, put his body on the line time and time again

2. Goodes - Carm, Steady and hit targets

3. Murphy - have missed him up foward

Anchors

1. Ayce - Dropped chest marks twice - even though overall he was pretty good today

2. Liam - Ran under the flight of the ball at least 8 times

3. The rules of the game - no one wants to get down on their knees any more

always right
30-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Bankers

1. Libba, put his body on the line time and time again

2. Goodes - Carm, Steady and hit targets

3. Murphy - have missed him up foward

Anchors

1. Ayce - Dropped chest marks twice - even though overall he was pretty good today

2. Liam - Ran under the flight of the ball at least 8 times

3. The rules of the game - no one wants to get down on their knees any more

I wasn't as critical of Jone's game as some. Thought he looked dangerous and worked hard....just didn't quite clunk them today. He'll play a lot better.

Hate all the rule changes but to be honest I thought our blokes adapted to the rule below the knees very well. And I liked the fact players worked hard to keep their feet.

Bankers:
Minson....outstanding today
Our defence......very poised as a unit and Young was very solid.
Foot skills.....clearly been a lot of hard work in the off season

Anchors:
Really difficult to list any today but we probably missed some opportunities we should have taken.

jeemak
30-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Bankers:

Higgins - Showed how dangerous he can be as a forward and creative player. After not having played the game time he'd have hoped after an otherwise strong preseason I thought he accounted for himself very well today.

Back Six - I was very nervous about how they'd organise themselves today, and they really surprised me. Certainly something to build on, and having Morris back coupled with Goodes ball usage helped immensely.

Murphy - I just love him as a forward.

Anchors:

Young players and concentration - Dahlhaus once and Cordy twice dropping easy chest marks foregoing scoring opportunities. There's going to be times this year when they'll be starved for opportunity, and they need to learn to make every chance count.

Score review - Good outcome for us, bad outcome for the game as a spectacle.

N.B. Minson unlucky to miss out on a Banker mention.

SlimPickens
30-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Banker:
Nick Lower- Outstanding, Daniel Rich has 8 touches.....enough said!!!

Tory Dickson- 8 tackles as a forward is outstanding. His forward pressure set the tone.

Shaun Higgins- this is what we should expect on a weekly basis. His performance today as a leader of our football club was fantastic.

Anchors-
Not required our team effort was outstanding and well deserving of a 10+ goal win.

No changes next week!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Bankers

1.Nick Lower - his shutdown of Rich was fantastic, especially in his first game
2. Wallis- his ability to get to multiple contests and his quick hands was important
3. Can't split between Goodes or Roughy. Both deserve mentions for their efforts

Anchors
1. Cordy- a real shame to give him a bake here, as I thought he and Jones both worked so hard all game today to have an influence - but he needs to hold his grabs. Could've finished with 3 or 4 goals if he had held his marks.
2. Higgins, had a great game, but his blazing away from outside 60 when there were 2 Lions waiting to take the ball uncontested, when he could've lowered his eyes and found other viable targets. That type of non thinking play was a throwback to our poor decisions of 2012. He was much better for most of the game, but he needs to eradicate that type of decision.
3. Jones. Again similar to Cordy, had a real crack all game, and all in all had a good day. But he still has a habit of getting led under the ball. And his miss late in the game from a very easy set shot was poor.

AndrewP6
30-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Bankers

1. Ed Lower - his shutdown of Rich was fantastic, especially in his first game

Nick?

AndrewP6
30-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Bankers

Murph with that incredible goal from the boundary.
Goodes, showed poise, good positioning and nice disposal.
Libba, his attack on the ball was terrific.

Hard not to mention others. Griff, Willbur, Higgins, Gia, Lower and Ayce all worthy.

Anchors

Won't name too many, perhaps Jonesy should've held a couple more grabs.
The score review system is a waste of time.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Nick?

Yep.

G-Mo77
30-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Bankers:

Dale Morris.
Look up Warrior in the dictionary and there should be a picture of him in there. Don't underestimate what he brings to this team. Everyone walks taller when he's there.

Midfield
Hard and tough. Tackling was superb, positioning around the contest a big tick as well. Needs a bit of polish but I like what I saw today.

New recruits.
Goodes was fantastic, Lower shut down Rich, Young was very impressive across CHB, Stevens was also impressive before being subbed out.

Honorable mention..

Myself.
I took Libba out of my SC team this morning. Had I kept him there he would have struggled. I swapped him for Zorko and he stunk! :D

Anchors.

Knit picking, not worth mentioning.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Bankers

New recruits- Goodes was fantastic, Lower could be a hugely valuable player, Stevens won many clearances and really cracks in, and Young showed a bit.

Cordy- Showed some great signs in the first half, hopefully that's something to build on.

Ferocity- Our attack on the ball and the man with it was a real standout. Jonathon Brown said in the Brisbane function after the game that they were bullied out of the contest and couldn't handle the bulldogs physical pressure the way they crashed in. (I think he must have meant crack in :D)

Anchors- Gee the umpiring is overly pedantic these days. Let the game flow

Mantis
30-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Bankers

* Goodes - played like a seasoned veteran... Great debut.

* Griffen - high quality player, terrific performance.

* Liberatore- exercised a few demons today.

Anchors

* Not much went wrong today, but our lack of leg speed across the ground is going to expose us.

* Umpiring - Do they really need to make a decision at every 2nd contest?

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Banker Top of the ladder

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Bankers

Griffen: Elite midfielder of the competition and showed why.
Liberatore: Absolutely dominated the contest with his insatiable hunger for the ball.
Minson: Rucked well but was most impressed by his contested marking and disposal around the ground.

Anchors

Score review system: 2 minutes to get the wrong decision, farcical.
Rules of the game: Paying free kicks for any contact to the back is penalising players who read the drop of the ball better than their opponent; ie. Jones in the first quarter.
Pearce Hanley: Enough said.

Twodogs
31-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Bankers

1. Dale Morris. His desperation and cool head has been missed. To come back after a leg break that bad and play so well is an amazing effort

2. Bob Murphy's captains goal. Brisbane were coming at us and Murph sat them on their arses with that goal.

3. The sliding in rule. Footy is a much better game to watch when the players are on their feet fighting for the ball.

Anchors

1. Score review system. That was farcical in that they got it wrong and how long it took to get it wrong.

2. I missed the kickoff before the game because I was picking up mt membership.

3. Umpiring. Too many soft frees.

Th, th, th, that's all folks.

Eastdog
31-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Bankers

Goodes - Great debut for the club and will look forward to see how he progresses in 2013.

Murphy - Loved that goal.

Dickson - Another very good forward who's going to keep getting better.

Also add for now we are top of the ladder :D

Anchors

Bad umpiring which happens in very game

Otherwise not too many things went wrong yesterday

westdog54
02-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Bankers

1. Dale Morris. His desperation and cool head has been missed. To come back after a leg break that bad and play so well is an amazing effort

2. Bob Murphy's captains goal. Brisbane were coming at us and Murph sat them on their arses with that goal.

3. The sliding in rule. Footy is a much better game to watch when the players are on their feet fighting for the ball.

Anchors

1. Score review system. That was farcical in that they got it wrong and how long it took to get it wrong.

2. I missed the kickoff before the game because I was picking up mt membership.

3. Umpiring. Too many soft frees.

Th, th, th, that's all folks.

Did you go to a soccer game or are you just willing Arsenal to a CL spot?:D

Bankers

Goodes, should have been picked years ago.
Lower. Rich was a non factor.
Gia for defying father time.

Anchors

The video review. Farcical.
Danny Frawley for not telling the organisers of a concussion conference that he wasn't a doctor.
Damian Barrett for putting his hair through a hair straightener before appearing on The Footy Show.

Twodogs
02-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Did you go to a soccer game or are you just willing Arsenal to a CL spot?:D

The Templeton/Grant/Johnno/Sandilands/supporter kickoff!

I got into the ground a couple of minutes before the ballup!!!! ;) Just in time to see the ball bounce off the Brisbane defenders chest into Tory Dickson's hands for the mark (and the subsequent 50 metre penalty) for the first goal.

Ozza
02-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Bankers:

Forward structure - worked well, Murphy obviously a big influence on that. Even Jones and Ayce - who may not have had a lot of the ball, brought the ball to ground and our smaller blokes were in the right spots.

Ball use - we used it smartly. Switching the play with purpose, hitting targets and only going long up the line when we had to. Our players seemed confident they could hit their leading targets.

Work rate - our work off the ball when we had it - meant the kicker had options, and kept the pressure on the lions.

Tackling - particularly from second efforts. For example- Dickson, Jones and Dahlhaus - if they didn't mark the ball would be up in a flash tackling. Dickson's influence with his pressure and tackling is at this stage underrated/understated.

Anchors:

I thought the crowd was a little poor. I know it was Easter weekend, but it was still very low. I am particularly thankful that the dogs rewarded me for my 2.5 hour drive to the game from where I was for the weekend....and the scarf was flown out of the window for most of the 2.5 hours back down to South Gippsland.

AndrewP6
02-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Anchors:
I thought the crowd was a little poor. I know it was Easter weekend, but it was still very low.

25k? I thought it was a pretty good crowd. Easter, playing an interstate team, the fact we've been down for quite some time.

jeemak
02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
25k? I thought it was a pretty good crowd. Easter, playing an interstate team, the fact we've been down for quite some time.

Wonder how much that'll cost us.

Ozza
02-04-2013, 01:02 PM

I just thought we would have nudged 30K. Brisbane aren't an ordinary interstate team - they have a big Melbourne following - and I thought they carried us a fair way to 25K as it was.

Maybe I'm a hard marker on the crowd size. We did have 40K against them in a home & away game in 2009 (at the MCG) when we were going well.