PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned - Round 1 Edition

westdog54
30-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Three things I've learned after the Round 1 Game against Brisbane.

Brett Goodes has given hope to State League players in their mid 20s eveywhere. Brilliant debut.
There's some fight left in some old Dogs. Murphy and Gia continue to defy Father Time.
Life after Boyd and Cross won't be so bad after all. The young brigade smashed the centre clearances.

As with the last thread feel free to add your own. Keep it respectful and don't recycle the same old same olds.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 10:32 PM
1. Talk of or demise is greatly exaggerated.

2. We've added some very valuable depth with our mature recruits.

3. The ferocious and accountable game style can be just as enjoyable to watch as a shootout.

Topdog
30-03-2013, 11:22 PM
We can tackle when we want to. Loved it and only saw about 40 minutes of the game

Eastdog
30-03-2013, 11:25 PM
The pressure we put onto the opposition.

Our youngsters are going to be good players in a few years.

jeemak
30-03-2013, 11:32 PM
1. Midfield depth can make a developing forward six and defensive six more effective

2. Classy forwards are worth their weight in gold

3. Taking any team in the AFL for granted can result in you getting spanked

HOSE B ROMERO
31-03-2013, 12:52 AM
The Etihad Management leaving the roof closed on a mild Melbourne afternoon proving once again how out of touch they are.

When a team does the little things for prolonged periods of time, the result will look after itself.

Bulldog supporters may be smaller in number, but boy, they are passionate and noisy!

jazzadogs
31-03-2013, 01:01 AM
1. We recruited very well over the off season. Goodes the clear standout, but Lower did an outstanding job on Rich, Stevens had two or three centre clearances in the first quarter and Young did his job. Not to mention Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat still to come.

2. Having a fit Cooney, Higgins, Morris and Cross in the side makes us a far more competitive unit.

3. When it clicks like it did today, life will be very very good.

wimberga
31-03-2013, 01:03 AM
1. Murphy forward is a godsend

2. Dogs wont get pushed around anymore - seeing Lower, Roughhead etc getting into brisbane when one of there players flattened Gia was good to see. I've often thought we needed to get meaner, or prouder and take less shit.

3. The nexdt generation of players at the dogs are ready to take the step. Awesome.

SlimPickens
31-03-2013, 01:23 AM
The Etihad Management leaving the roof closed on a mild Melbourne afternoon proving once again how out of touch they are.

The AFL decides on the status of the roof, not Etihad management. Personally I think it should always be closed, the way the stadium is positioned makes the sun a nightmare in the middle of the afternoon.

Anyways

1- Jones and Cordy can combine for 60-70 goals this year.

2- Libba is an elite clearance player.

3- Structure governs function. Good work up the ground leads to ease of scoring.

GVGjr
31-03-2013, 01:29 AM
1) The importance of depth in a developing side.
2) While there is a long, long way to go and plenty of work ahead of us I certainly think there is a glimmer of light.
3) A real work ethic by the midfielders helps with the spread of goal kickers.

bornadog
31-03-2013, 01:42 AM
1. Roughead looking good in the fb position

2. Murphy in the forward line is where he should stay

3. Morris back, boy did we miss him

AndrewP6
31-03-2013, 04:49 AM
Bulldog supporters may be smaller in number, but boy, they are passionate and noisy!

When things are going well. When they're not its like a morgue.

Chicago1
31-03-2013, 05:14 AM
1. "Living in hope" might pay off after all!
2. I knew I should have flown to Melbourne for the start of the season like I had been planning.
3. Don't use up my 10 free articles a month to read in the Age the day before a match.
4. Find out when you go off DST. I missed the first hour last night since I had forgotten that we had gone on DST already and Melbourne hadn't gone off it yet.
5. Do not get excited when a "When We Win You Win" email from the club arrives and has a shirt special for $10 but the postage is $30!:p

Hotdog60
31-03-2013, 09:01 AM
5. Do not get excited when a "When We Win You Win" email from the club arrives and has a shirt special for $10 but the postage is $30!:p

:D I didn't notice that.

Chicago1
31-03-2013, 09:22 AM
The $30 postage is for overseas. My brother got me a few small things for my birthday a few years ago and almost paid more for the postage than for what he had purchased.

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 09:38 AM
1 Wallis is our next Capt. The Dish out that ended in a Murphy goal was awesome.
2 Clay Smith is a Human Clamp and should be called CLAMP.
3 Respect is something earned and we earned a lot.

Hotdog60
31-03-2013, 10:25 AM
The $30 postage is for overseas. My brother got me a few small things for my birthday a few years ago and almost paid more for the postage than for what he had purchased.

Likewise in reverse, you see some absolute bargains in the US until you see the postage.

Dancin' Douggy
31-03-2013, 10:38 AM
1. Immediate positive contibutions from mature recruits. Early days but all our mature recruits look to be good solid choices. A pat on the back to the recruiters/list manager.

2. The flow on effect if these same recruits cement themselves in the line up is an immediate increase in big hard bodies across the ground. (Stevens and Lower are both 187cm) And fringe players like Addison and Vez have to work their butts off to get a game.

3. Loved Jones ground level work yesterday. Plenty of tap ons and second and third efforts that might not show up on a stats sheet but definitely contributed to the scoreboard. Very impressed.

always right
31-03-2013, 10:49 AM
When things are going well. When they're not its like a morgue.

You really need to lighten up Andrew. Is it really necessary to find a negative in every post? Today should be a day of joy as there will no doubt be days in the season when we will be licking our wounds.

1. What a delight it was to see our supporters as they became more and more vocal with every goal.
2. Having a wonderful feeling of expectation every time the ball entered our forward line. Not used to that.
3. It's an easier game when there are no passengers

BornInDroopSt'54
31-03-2013, 11:25 AM
1. BMac is not yet the messiah but he let loose a team in round 1 that had belief in each other, in themselves, its systems and with ferocious intent.
2. Cordy and Jones can be vital elements of us going forward.
3. The game was a turning point in the current list’s and BMac’s time at the club, showing where we’re heading.

AndrewP6
31-03-2013, 11:26 AM
You really need to lighten up Andrew. Is it really necessary to find a negative in every post? Today should be a day of joy as there will no doubt be days in the season when we will be licking our wounds.

You really need to avoid telling people how to post. It was simply a statement that many fans are quick to jump off when things aren't going well. FWIW I had a great day yesterday, enjoyed being at the footy for the first time in a long while.

always right
31-03-2013, 11:33 AM
You really need to avoid telling people how to post. It was simply a statement that many fans are quick to jump off when things aren't going well. FWIW I had a great day yesterday, enjoyed being at the footy for the first time in a long while.

Touché

Twodogs
31-03-2013, 11:58 AM
1. Dale Morris never gives up on the ground or off. After reading the article in yesterdays paper about his comeback I watched him carefully. His second, third and fourth efforts were the first acts in a ot of scoring strings.

2. Bob Murphy could have been the best CHF in the comp if he'd played there his whole career.

3. 3 votes down, 19 to go; ;)
VVVVVVVV

12 - Your own random prediction for the season?

A = Brett Goodes will win the Brownlow.

strebla
31-03-2013, 12:41 PM
1 footy is fun
2 there is no better feeling than winning
3 we are on the right track
4 Cordy is not a lost cause

Ghost Dog
31-03-2013, 02:33 PM
1. The NAB cup is a poisoned chalice.
2. Carlton are a bit lazy. Watch for the odd upset this season.
3. GC will be hard to beat at Metricon - they train in the humidity, and get to handle the dewy ball, week in and out.

F'scary
31-03-2013, 03:11 PM
1. The four "mature-aged" recruits have been well selected.
2. Picken in the backline is a massive plus for the back six.
3. Morris is worth 4 goals a game saved for us + a couple extra to us on rebounds. In the least.

lemmon
31-03-2013, 03:12 PM
1. Macca showed he could coach game day, setups and matchups were very good
2. Cordy is a competitor, hits the packs hard
3. Libba may be our best player in two years

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 05:37 PM
1. Patience with Cordy will/has paid dividends,
2. Winning is a great feeling
3. Our future looks bright with our younger players starting to step up to the plate

Yay, go Dogs :D

w3design
31-03-2013, 05:56 PM
The AFL decides on the status of the roof, not Etihad management. Personally I think it should always be closed, the way the stadium is positioned makes the sun a nightmare in the middle of the afternoon.

Anyways

1- Jones and Cordy can combine for 60-70 goals this year.

2- Libba is an elite clearance player.

3- Structure governs function. Good work up the ground leads to ease of scoring.

HEAR, HEAR Slim. The roof should NEVER be open during a match. The sun makes watching the game ridiculously difficult in this stadium. Besides, if you want to stand out in the weather to watch a match, you can do it at every other stadium.
If you have an asset that makes the ground both better and unique, why would you not utilize it ?
Sorry but leaving it open makes no sense to me, as it does nothing to improve or enhance the experience of either spectator or players, or the spectacle.

Go_Dogs
31-03-2013, 05:59 PM
1. Tom Young can be a player, his game impressed me and I think he's got plenty of room for improvement.
2. Minson may well be regarded as one of the best rucks getting around by years end if he builds on that performance.
3. Our skills have improved a lot.

The Doctor
31-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Sometimes I like to look for the little things that can make a big impact,

1. Liam Jones is more important to the side that simple stats suggest. He was crucial to the first 3 goals of the game. He probably won't get a stat or an assist but his little taps, and crashing into contests to clear for us helped set them up. This got us going. He may not be our polished key forward, someone else (Stringer??) may become that, but I hope the coaching staff acknowledge his very important contribution to our start to the season.

2. Nick Lower flew the flag when Gia was crashed into more than any other bulldog. At one stage he remonstrated with 5 Lions and copped a cheap shot from Moloney & should have got a free, and this in his first game for us. Then from the next centre bounce he gets the clearance to set up Jones for another goal. A real team mate performance and disciplined. On a sidenote what about the brilliant shepherd that allowed Cooney to make his first real dash from defence and show the old trademark speed and delivery. That would have to give Coons some confidence going forward and make us a better side, wouldn't it?

3. I've been a Macca sceptic and will remain so til we beat some decent opposition but i can't fault todays performance. Got it right all over the park with hard footy and quick movement. He needs to hand over midfield responsibility to Libba, Wallis, Smith et al and have Cross, boyd etc as the support and guiding hands. Think we will be better again when we replace these vets with some dashers. Well done

Topdog
31-03-2013, 06:19 PM
2. Nick Lower flew the flag when Gia was crashed into more than any other bulldog. At one stage he remonstrated with 5 Lions and copped a cheap shot from Moloney & should have got a free, and this in his first game for us. Then from the next centre bounce he gets the clearance to set up Jones for another goal. A real team mate performance and disciplined. On a sidenote what about the brilliant shepherd that allowed Cooney to make his first real dash from defence and show the old trademark speed and delivery. That would have to give Coons some confidence going forward and make us a better side, wouldn't it?

As I said earlier I didn't watch much of the match and what I did watch was interrupted by the 3 year old wanting yo gabba gabba back on so I didn't see any of the above BUT that sounds bloody fantastic. I have been crying out for this from our team since the end of the Southern era.

lemmon
31-03-2013, 06:36 PM
As I said earlier I didn't watch much of the match and what I did watch was interrupted by the 3 year old wanting yo gabba gabba back on so I didn't see any of the above BUT that sounds bloody fantastic. I have been crying out for this from our team since the end of the Southern era.

I think he'll be one you like TD, just a solid, team footballer. Will get BnF votes for his job yesterday

Ghost Dog
31-03-2013, 08:04 PM

2. Nick Lower flew the flag when Gia was crashed into more than any other bulldog. At one stage he remonstrated with 5 Lions and copped a cheap shot from Moloney & should have got a free, and this in his first game for us.

And he couldn't even sing the song :D Anyone see that footage on TV?

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Leave the scarfs in the boot of the car, we may just win and need to fly them high on the way home, disappointed yesterday that we couldn't fly our colours!

GVGjr
31-03-2013, 08:52 PM
And he couldn't even sing the song :D Anyone see that footage on TV?

I did. :) If he keeps playing like yesterdays effort we couldn't care less if he learns the words or not :)

1eyedog
31-03-2013, 09:26 PM
That whoever said trade Minson out should have their head read.

Dancin' Douggy
31-03-2013, 09:47 PM
that whoever said trade minson out should have their head read.

exactly!!!!

F'scary
31-03-2013, 10:27 PM

1. Liam Jones is more important to the side that simple stats suggest. He was crucial to the first 3 goals of the game. He probably won't get a stat or an assist but his little taps, and crashing into contests to clear for us helped set them up. This got us going. He may not be our polished key forward, someone else (Stringer??) may become that, but I hope the coaching staff acknowledge his very important contribution to our start to the season.

boydogs
01-04-2013, 02:50 AM
1) The importance of depth in a developing side.

What do you mean by that? Being round 1, the injury list is quite short, I wouldn't say our depth was on display.

The Doctor
01-04-2013, 03:37 AM
What do you mean by that? Being round 1, the injury list is quite short, I wouldn't say our depth was on display.

I think he means the importance of having new ready made players available such as; Goodes, Stevens, Young and Lower. This has certainly improved our depth.

Without them we would have probably played Howard, Tutt, Markovic & Vez. All have questions marks over their future and had they been in the side instead of the new guys perhaps the result might have been different.

GVGjr
01-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I think he means the importance of having new ready made players available such as; Goodes, Stevens, Young and Lower. This has certainly improved our depth.

Spot on. Our list is deeper than last year and I think we are going to need it to be.

Mantis
01-04-2013, 08:44 AM
1/ We were much better than we all expected.. On that performance our next 2 games, possibly 3 look winnable.

2/ Collingwood look strong especially given that had quite a few out.

3/ Mark Neeld might need to start looking for a new job.

Sorry had to add no.4

4/ Ablett is an absolute star... and the Suns are improving.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
1/ We were much better than we all expected.. On that performance our next 2 games, possibly 3 look winnable.

2/ Collingwood look strong especially given that had quite a few out.

3/ Mark Neeld might need to start looking for a new job.

Sorry had to add no.4

4/ Ablett is an absolute star... and the Suns are improving.

Rhetorical question: If the Suns get better than us with their young talented list, how the hell are we going to catch them in the next few years?

Sedat
01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
1. Mature recruits are of great value if they are specifically identified to address glaring holes on a list. Goodes and Lower showed this value in spades on Saturday - would Bate and Prismall have shown the same value?

2. The sooner that Libba and Wallis are leading our inside midfield brigade the better

3. Smart ball use and good decision making will never go out of fashion

soupman
01-04-2013, 12:06 PM
1. We can tackle. Really well. And tackling like the way we did it on Saturday is awesome to watch.

2. Nick Lower is a brilliant selection. Completely frees up Picken to be a proper defender, and gives us so many more options defensively. Very hppy with his performance.

3. When Cordy moves towards the ball he is actually dangerous and at least gives us something. Please never let him just stand in the goalsquare again.

Hotdog60
01-04-2013, 12:26 PM
1. We can tackle. Really well. And tackling like the way we did it on Saturday is awesome to watch.

2. Nick Lower is a brilliant selection. Completely frees up Picken to be a proper defender, and gives us so many more options defensively. Very hppy with his performance.

3. When Cordy moves towards the ball he is actually dangerous and at least gives us something. Please never let him just stand in the goalsquare again.

While I agree with you 100% it was very impressive mark against Merritt body on body. Cordy is agile for his size and he does look better when on the move.

Rocco Jones
01-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I really like Tom Young. Big fan of defenders who can do 'good' jobs on a range of opponents. Morris is the master, hopefully Young can mean we have a bit of flexibility down back. Would be enormous if Wood can get near the mark most of our fans expect from him too in that department.

strebla
01-04-2013, 01:17 PM
I really like Tom Young. Big fan of defenders who can do 'good' jobs on a range of opponents. Morris is the master, hopefully Young can mean we have a bit of flexibility down back. Would be enormous if Wood can get near the mark most of our fans expect from him too in that department.

Just not going to get into the side ATM with Young,Goodes and JJ playing like they did.

Bulldog4life
01-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Just not going to get into the side ATM with Young,Goodes and JJ playing like they did.

Are all more reliable kicks than Wood too.

The Doctor
01-04-2013, 02:31 PM
2. The sooner that Libba and Wallis are leading our inside midfield brigade the better

Bang on!

These 2 + Smith as our front line midfield. Would like to see us replace Boyd & Cross in the near future with some guys who have speed and high quality disposal.

soupman
01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
While I agree with you 100% it was very impressive mark against Merritt body on body. Cordy is agile for his size and he does look better when on the move.

I'm ok with him having the odd bomb into the goalsquare attempt, but he should not spend the majority of his time waiting there. He needs to move around to help change the dynamics of our forwardline and make him harder to defend.

ratsmac
01-04-2013, 08:33 PM
BMAC is teaching our boys to play a brand of football that will setup a very good team in a couple of years
When Higgins is fit and full of confidence, he is a dangerous player.
Gia doesn't look so slow with Bobby in the forward line with him and with the forward line actually functioning like a forward line.

bulldogsman
01-04-2013, 09:38 PM
1. Could hardly fault McCartney and his coaching staff. Team selection firstly was spot on (Can't remember the last time I said this), matchups and tactics etc were also good.

2. The new fitness guys have done a top job in a short period. Players actually looked faster and fitter.

3. Pretty much spot on with what soupaman said on Cordy. I've always thought he had the potential to be an AFL forward, my criticism has been mainly about just standing in the goal square and pointing his finger. He needs to get on the move and come towards the ball like on Saturday.

LostDoggy
01-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Cordy and Jones creates a dilemma for opposition backs, Jones tied up the dangerous Merret up for most of the day.

LostDoggy
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Getting the ball into the hands of best kickers coming off half back and into the forward line

Spreading from the contest....first ball movement was fast and accurate...no doubt a result of players knowing their roles much better. There was constant movement and urgency more often.

Injury free pre seasons meant that there were more players with the skill and pace to get to where they had to be... Cooney, Dahl and and Higgins looked fresh and fitter.

The test will be how we go when corralled into tight spaces and have to play crowded football. Last year this resulted in stop - start footy and then bang it on the boot and hope.

Ozza
02-04-2013, 12:53 PM
1. We are a young side still - and we will have poor weeks, and some good weeks - but we are definitely on the right track (sorry if that sounds like its straight from the club! - but its right!).

2. Tom Young really surprised me. He may not be in our best 22 every week - but he gives us some flexibility and he kicked the ball better than I anticipated.

3. Roughy will be one of number of new style of defenders that clubs will need in an era where ruckman have to rest forward. You will need a very tall defender in your side ( I realise he played on Brown and not Martin - but regardless there will be more and more tall defenders). Roughead, Carlisle (Ess) and Jackson Trengove (Port) are three that come to mind who will be important defenders for their sides for many years ahead.

Ozza
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Excellent point Doctor.

I'm not sure if you, or other posters heard Bob Murphy on 774 after the game ( i think it was 774 - but I was flicking around a bit) and Bob said similar things about Jones. The commentators had mentioned that Jones was more important than his stats read - and Bob said he was very encouraged to hear that sort of recognition, as he thought Liam's contesting and presence was pivotal to the rest of the forwards getting opportunities.

If Jones can convert a bit better when he does get his chances to score - he will be a great asset.

Bulldog Joe
02-04-2013, 02:35 PM
1. When everything looks bleak it will get better.
2. Perserverance is a great asset.
3. Ayce Cordy can play.

LostDoggy
03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
1. We are a lot fitter than St Kilda
2. We are a lot fitter than last year
3. Wonder why?

SlimPickens
03-04-2013, 10:38 AM
3. Wonder why?

Boom...love it!!!

SlimPickens
03-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Can't believe he is still only 19. A heap of upside on that performance, really hope he can cement a spot with continued good form.

Eddie mentioned that collingwood rookied him when he was 14 as a NSW scholarship player. Explains why it feels like he has been around forever!

Twodogs
03-04-2013, 10:51 AM
3. Wonder why?

That reference is a bit too oblique for me. Whatcha talking 'bout Willis?

Ozza
03-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Can't believe he is still only 19. A heap of upside on that performance, really hope he can cement a spot with continued good form.

Eddie mentioned that collingwood rookied him when he was 14 as a NSW scholarship player. Explains why it feels like he has been around forever!

I didn't realise he was 19 years of age. Thats a real plus.

I mentioned in another thread - that he gives us some good flexibility down back, being a good athlete who can play tall or small.

Whether he is in the best 22 all year, I'm not too sure - it will probably be dependant on who we are playing. But not many 19 year olds would play week in week out - so if he performs like he did on the weekend regularly, and continues to improve, then getting him in has been a huge win for us as he may turn out to be a long term player.

bornadog
03-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Can't believe he is still only 19.

He will be 21 at the end of this month

SlimPickens
03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
He will be 21 at the end of this month

Bulldog app has him at 19, which as a side note has synced the bulldogs fixture to my iPhone (very handy) and the players birthday as well (not necessary).

bornadog
03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
]Bulldog app has him at 19,[/B] which as a side note has synced the bulldogs fixture to my iPhone (very handy) and the players birthday as well (not necessary).

He is not 19 years old, they have it incorrect.

Edit: Just checked the app and its correct will be 21 on the 26th of April. maybe you can't add up Slim:D, he was born in 1992

Happy Days
03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
1. Tom Young is much bigger than advertised
2. Tom Young is much better than advertised
3. Tom Young is 21 years old (almost!)

SlimPickens
03-04-2013, 11:48 AM
He is not 19 years old, they have it incorrect.

Edit: Just checked the app and its correct will be 21 on the 26th of April. maybe you can't add up Slim:D, he was born in 1992

My calendar which was uploaded from the app has his 20th birthday on the 26th of April. Anyway pretty handy for a 20 year old!!!!

Ozza
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah - 19 yrs, 20 yrs.....21 in a month.....he's still a young pup and went well on the weekend!!

EasternWest
05-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Finally got to watch the game. Here's my three things:

1. Our players look noticeably fitter/leaner. Biggest beneficiaries are Gia, who looks like he's gained a yard, Higgins and Roughead. Roughie looks way more mobile as a result.

2. Ayce Cordy looks quite good on the move. I said in a preseason comment that he was a bit of a worry, but if he can keep moving like that then I think he'll be ok. I like his willingness to crash packs and be physical. He's big enough that defenders will be wary of him crashing in.

3. Enough has been said about the four older recruits, but here's my take:

Tom Young is a good size and a good user. Nothing flash, just does his job. I like him.
Brett Goodes is a great reader of the play.
Nick Lower is a big tagger. He looks fit enough to go with the mids and big enough to work them over.
Koby Stevens looks like a good all round player. He's a damn good looking rooster too.

A few other things:

We're better than I thought we'd be. How good I'm not sure, but certainly better.
When Boyd and Cross retire, they'll be well covered by Wallis and Libba. What the young guys lack in balls to the wall courage of the older guys, they make up for in skill and execution.
I love Dale Morris.
I think Jones will be ok. He worked hard, but still needs to clunk a few.

Mantis
05-04-2013, 12:54 PM
When Boyd and Cross retire, they'll be well covered by Wallis and Libba. What the young guys lack in balls to the wall courage of the older guys, they make up for in skill and execution.

You're a brave man questioning the courage of Libba & Wallis... they go in just as hard if not harder than their predecessors.

I love Dale Morris.

Man love is so cool... and equally shared.

Ozza
05-04-2013, 12:57 PM
You're a brave man questioning the courage of Libba & Wallis... they go in just as hard if not harder than their predecessors.

Some of the Mitch Wallis highlights from last week.....just ferocious, head first stuff.

EasternWest
05-04-2013, 01:00 PM

My comment wasn't really a question of their courage. They both certainly do go in hard. Ok, maybe as hard as Boyd so they're ok there.

But in my time watching football, I've never seen a braver player in our colours than Cross. I regard the next bravest I've seen as West/Grant/Morris, but Cross has zero concern for his own safety. It's no slight on any player to not be as courageous as him. Very few are.

bornadog
05-04-2013, 05:04 PM
My comment wasn't really a question of their courage. They both certainly do go in hard. Ok, maybe as hard as Boyd so they're ok there.

But in my time watching football, I've never seen a braver player in our colours than Cross. I regard the next bravest I've seen as West/Grant/Morris, but Cross has zero concern for his own safety. It's no slight on any player to not be as courageous as him. Very few are.

Libba Senior was unbelievable, for a man his size, he was fearless.

LostDoggy
06-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Libba Senior was unbelievable, for a man his size, he was fearless.

For a man any size. Bled red, white and blue every week.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2013, 09:02 AM
For a man any size. Bled red, white and blue every week.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrWlE3Kl5r8YOf0VPJENcIdX3mGoqlVIGol_j2oMf jB0EPzK3chttp://hanoiswans.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/tony-liberatore.jpg

I've always thought the way they both sprang out of the mud to take somebody out was very similar.

LostDoggy
06-04-2013, 07:12 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrWlE3Kl5r8YOf0VPJENcIdX3mGoqlVIGol_j2oMf jB0EPzK3chttp://hanoiswans.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/tony-liberatore.jpg

I've always thought the way they both sprang out of the mud to take somebody out was very similar.

Except Libba would've gone the eyes rather than the throat.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Except Libba would've gone the eyes rather than the throat.

LOL ouch! nasty but true.