PDA

View Full Version : The farce that is the Fixturing of the AFL **WARNING - Spleen vent alert**

westdog54
06-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Before I start, I want it made clear that we were beaten by a vastly superior team that is 3-4 years ahead of us in their development and a premiership contender.

But...

There are 18 teams in the competition. 18. Enough for 9 matches a round.

It therefore beggars belief that a situation arises where a fixture is set, at the start of the year, mind you, that sees one team given an extra week's rest from the previous game.

Why West Coast/Fremantle and Adelaide/Essendon could not have simply swapped opponents this week is just beyond me. While it certainly did not cost us the game it was obvious from where I was sitting that there were fresher legs in the Fremantle players late in the game.

The line is thrown out by the media, that 'its not a draw, its a fixture'. That the AFL seems either unable or unwilling to balance the desire to maximise revenue with a need for basic common sense is incompetent at best and criminal at worst.

It is only through vocality by fans, players and coaches that this farcical situation will be brought into the spotlight and a resolution to the problem forced upon the AFL.

hujsh
06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Yeah, if the draw is not made to be fair but rather maximize revenue I would like our club to see more of that said revenue.

Otherwise at least try to run this thing like a sporting competition.

Mantis
06-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Raher tame WD.. expected more.

Hawthorn in the first 7 rounds play all of last years finalists.. Sydney in the 1st 2 rounds play last years cellar dwellers.. Go figure.

I hate the AFL, my only interest now is the Bulldogs and the hacks I pick in my FF teams..

westdog54
06-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Raher tame WD.. expected more.

Hawthorn in the first 7 rounds play all of last years finalists.. Sydney in the 1st 2 rounds play last years cellar dwellers.. Go figure.

I hate the AFL, my only interest now is the Bulldogs and the hacks I pick in my FF teams..

What can I say, fatherhood has mellowed me somewhat.

SonofScray
07-04-2013, 12:10 AM
If you had a continuum that looked like this, SonofScray's sporting purity continuum:

<WWF>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -I - - - - - - - - - - - - -<Ancient Olympics>

The AFL sits somewhere between:
<WWF>- - -<Harlem Globetrotters -- - - - - - - - - - -<AFL> - -I - - - - - - - - - <premier league darts>- - - -<Ancient Olympics>

LostDoggy
07-04-2013, 12:19 AM
If you had a continuum that looked like this, SonofScray's sporting purity continuum:

<WWF>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -I - - - - - - - - - - - - -<Ancient Olympics>

<WWF>- - -<Harlem Globetrotters -- - - - - - - - - - -<AFL> - -I - - - - - - - - - <premier league darts>- - - -<Ancient Olympics>

Generous.

Topdog
07-04-2013, 09:08 AM
History shows that having a "bye" this early in the season is bad for the players / club. We actually had an advantage this week.

But yes a ridiculous decision.

Twodogs
07-04-2013, 10:48 AM
While we are ranting and raving it's been my contention for a while now that preseason training is too long. We are at the stage where we nearly spend more time preparing for the season than we actually spend playing games. Do the players really need to so fit?

Extend the season and train less.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Players association is advocating for an East V West comp, over the current NAB arrangement TD; as you say, they want to shorten the NAB and extend the season proper.

azabob
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Extend the season and train less.

No way should the season be extended, too many un-competative games as it is.

F'scary
07-04-2013, 02:45 PM

I will pay that one.

F'scary
07-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Demetriou is a complete drop kick who is running the AFL on a financially unsustainable basis. One day, there will be lynch mobs in the streets outside AFL HQ

Chicago1
08-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Here I was expecting to read a post with blood references, body parts entanglements, lower leg bone fractures and mass murder and this is all we got? I could have read the original post at Sunday Mass this morning and kept the congregation sleeping as normal.

C'mon, let's have some real vitriol!

Yours sincerely,
C1

:p

LostDoggy
08-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Here I was expecting to read a post with blood references, body parts entanglements, lower leg bone fractures and mass murder and this is all we got? I could have read the original post at Sunday Mass this morning and kept the congregation sleeping as normal.

C'mon, let's have some real vitriol!

Yours sincerely,
C1

:p

Hehe, kinda reminds me of Brad Johnson being all eaten up by flipping the bird to Barnes.

EasternWest
08-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Hehe, kinda reminds me of Brad Johnson being all eaten up by flipping the bird to Barnes.

From a safe distance.