PDA

View Full Version : Majak Daw

Eastdog
21-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Just like to congratulate Majak Daw on his debut for North Melbourne today and making history in the AFL being the first Sudanese player to play the game. It is a good news AFL story as a lot of the news in the AFL this year hasn't been great.

macca
22-04-2013, 01:39 AM
His First mark was sensational. Why in the world did we keep mulligan on for so many years and not have a speculative place for Daw on this list ?

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2013, 02:06 AM
His First mark was sensational. Why in the world did we keep mulligan on for so many years and not have a speculative place for Daw on this list ?

We had a look at Daw but we didn't rate him.

Remi Moses
22-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Early days yet folks ! Hope he makes it

bornadog
22-04-2013, 11:08 AM

yes a bloody stupid decision. Not only has he potential, but as the community club, he would fit in perfectly.

Sedat
22-04-2013, 11:16 AM
We had a look at Daw but we didn't rate him.
He was a million miles off it at the time but then again we picked up another million to one shot with our last pick in the ND, Shane Thorne, which was the pick we would have needed to use because Norf had a pick ahead of us in the Rookie Draft.

Really happy for him to get his opportunity. He has come on in leaps and bounds in terms of understanding when and where to run, and using his raw tools for much more that the occasional highlights reel.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2013, 02:39 PM
He was a million miles off it at the time but then again we picked up another million to one shot with our last pick in the ND, Shane Thorne, which was the pick we would have needed to use because Norf had a pick ahead of us in the Rookie Draft.

Really happy for him to get his opportunity. He has come on in leaps and bounds in terms of understanding when and where to run, and using his raw tools for much more that the occasional highlights reel.

I remember somebody recalling that a few Bulldogs officials were laughing at how inept he was. The joke is clearly on them now.

Whilst hindsight is terrific, it probably needs to be asked why we laughed Daw off yet went ahead with the likes of Thorne, Skinner, Prato, Mulligan and the Fiji experiment..

Greystache
22-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I remember somebody recalling that a few Bulldogs officials were laughing at how inept he was. The joke is clearly on them now.

Whilst hindsight is terrific, it probably needs to be asked why we laughed Daw off yet went ahead with the likes of Thorne, Skinner, Prato, Mulligan and the Fiji experiment..

He's had 2 kicks in career at this stage, I think we're getting a bit carried away with what a success he's been. He hasn't done much at VFL level and was promoted just as much as a diversion for a coach that was 0-3 and under the pump as a reward for performance. He's still at best 50-50 to play 20 games in his career.

Sedat
22-04-2013, 03:29 PM
He's had 2 kicks in career at this stage, I think we're getting a bit carried away with what a success he's been. He hasn't done much at VFL level and was promoted just as much as a diversion for a coach that was 0-3 and under the pump as a reward for performance. He's still at best 50-50 to play 20 games in his career.
In his first couple of years, the above is 100% on the money. But last year he was much more consistent at VFL level and has become a much better around the ground ruck exponent. I've got a mate who has done a lot of one-on-one work with Majak at Norf and he thinks his understanding of the game has improved out of sight in the last 12 months.

Sedat
12-05-2013, 11:10 PM
I know it was 'only Markovic and Austin' but if one of our young key forwards kicked 6 goals, had 10 scoring shots and clunked a number of strong pack marks we'd be getting just as excited.

He was terrific yesterday - ran to the right spots, marked strongly, kicked well (for the most part). Certainly showed more than any of Howard, Tutt, Markovic or Thorne (who we all selected in ND before Daw was snapped up in the RD).

Topdog
12-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Still cant understand why we didnt take this kid.

westdog54
12-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Still cant understand why we didnt take this kid.

Was very, very raw at the time but has worked his arse off in the last 3 years to get himself up to standard. Has been blessed with extraordinary strength and athleticism, and has spent the last 3 years essentially learning to play football, and has done it beautifully.

The Doctor
12-05-2013, 11:21 PM
I know it was 'only Markovic and Austin' but if one of our young key forwards kicked 6 goals, had 10 scoring shots and clunked a number of strong pack marks we'd be getting just as excited.

He was terrific yesterday - ran to the right spots, marked strongly, kicked well (for the most part). Certainly showed more than any of Howard, Tutt, Markovic or Thorne (who we all selected in ND before Daw was snapped up in the RD).

And is/has Dalrymple been held accountable for this by anyone at the club? I wonder.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Was very, very raw at the time but has worked his arse off in the last 3 years to get himself up to standard. Has been blessed with extraordinary strength and athleticism, and has spent the last 3 years essentially learning to play football, and has done it beautifully.

Got very good support from the club. North Melb won a multicultural communities award recently. The work the do with diverse communities is outstanding.

Remi Moses
12-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Kerry Packer once said that you don't get an Alan Bond every day in your life
( sold 9 to Bond and purchased it back cheaply)
The same could be said for getting Markovic and Austin.

Topdog
12-05-2013, 11:51 PM

You make it sound like he hadnt played before.

Twodogs
12-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Kerry Packer once said that you don't get an Alan Bond every day in your life
( sold 9 to Bond and purchased it back cheaply)
The same could be said for getting Markovic and Austin.

Actually Kerry said "you only get one Alan Bond in a lifetime"

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Actually Kerry said "you only get one Alan Bond in a lifetime"

Gee sorry:eek:
Back to earth with a thud tonight Majak.
Pretty raw still

westdog54
18-05-2013, 03:53 PM
You make it sound like he hadnt played before.

How much had you seen of him before this year. I watched him a few times at Werribee over the past couple of years. He looked totally lost early on but has worked bloody hard to get to where he is now.

immortalmike
26-05-2013, 07:26 PM
How much had you seen of him before this year. I watched him a few times at Werribee over the past couple of years. He looked totally lost early on but has worked bloody hard to get to where he is now.

Still looks totally lost, just got amazing delivery against us. May yet be something but still needs a heap of work to end up a player.