PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 6

GVGjr
05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
This is the round 6 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.
Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers= 3 guys that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors= 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
05-05-2013, 08:27 PM
This might be hard to identify the Bankers

bornadog
05-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Bankers

Jones - Nine marks, lone man down there

Smith - Our best man on the ground, went in hard, picked up 26 disposals, 4 tackles and 2 goals.

Minson - In the end Westcoke won the hitouts but he was up against three ruckman on his own, battled very hard.

Anchors

MC - going in with one ruckman, and short in defence. WC big men in their forward line killed us.

Shuey - 4 head high tackles after cheating and playing for it. This goes against the spirit of the game.

Umpires - so biased, unbelievable. Didn't influence the result but 24 to our 11 is a joke. No consistency.

F'scary
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Anchors away:

1. The Match Committee for selecting Howard. Howard, you're heading in same direction as Veszpremi at the end of the season.
2. The Match Committee for playing Austin as a key position forward. Can we presume you won't try that one again?
3. The Match Committee for leaving Young on Darling for so long. This match has shown that Young is more a ground level player with only modest overhead skills.

Bankers:

1. Howard for having the decency to play to so badly that we are no longer left wondering and so won't have to bother wasting a spot on him again this season.
2. Or ever again.
3. Howard, for revealing that he does not have a leg cannon and leaving us in no doubt about that one either.

craigsahibee
05-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Anchors
1. Howard. Completely justified my non belief in him today. As if it really needed any justification.
2. Austin. In his defence it's not his fault he was picked to play.

Bankers
1. Jones. Work rate after qtr time was excellent.
2. Smith. Lead the way today with desire and attitude. The Eagles ate his bitches.
3. Minson. Stood up again.

AndrewP6
05-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Bankers

Jones - At least competed, didn't get much support.
Smith - Showed a bit of ticker.
Minson - battled well

Anchors

McCartney - perplexing selections, and some of the match ups.
Fox commentary team - woeful, biased barracking.
Umpires - they make a mockery of the Appreciation round, they're dreadful..

Ghost Dog
05-05-2013, 08:59 PM
This might be hard to identify the Bankers

Will today GVG. What did you think?

Banker - Big Will - great competitor.
Clay Smith - Very hard to tackle in front of goal.
Liam Jones - Good contested marks

Anchor - me for predicting we might win.

G-Mo77
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Bankers. (Same as those before me)

Jones.
He's grown as a player so much in these past few weeks. Against an outstanding defensive line he was one of our best today.

Smith
Loved his game today and love him as a player. Puts it all on the line every week. Some finishing around the sticks was good to see.

Minson
Poor guy is going to be buggered after today.

Anchors

Spacing.
Everyone gets sucked into the pack and we're dishing off 10cm hand passes when we find possession.

Defence.
Pathetic. I'll defend the back 6 until I'm black and blue in the face. The guys up the field standing back in awe of their opponent running around without any pressure sickens me.

MC
Made some odd decisions this week. Seemed to sit on what worked well last week rather than who would be better matched for our opponent this week.

westbulldog
05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Bankers
Minson - great effort once again, 115 minutes of game time against 3 opponents.
Smith - rugged and classy effort all day.
Liam Jones - wonderful contested marking.

HM's Addison and Tutt

Anchors
Austin
Young

they both had a hard task today however

the fox footy commentator who gushes interminably about the eagles - two teams are actually out there.

Greystache
05-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Bankers

Jones- A shining light up forward, marking was excellent, we just needed him to be able to kick it to himself.

Smith- He's been excellent up forward. Competed hard and is a smart user of the ball.

Wallis- Came on and had an impact which is a great effort from a guy who's not really an impact player.

Anchors

Where to start, it was really a team effort.

Lack of ability to hit a target and then not defending the corresponding rebound.

Howard- Terrible kick and doesn't compete, but we knew that.

Morris- Between Darling and Kennedy he must have had 7-10 goals kicked on him today.

Remi Moses
05-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Bankers- Been will's harshest critic, but he was our best by a country mile
Smith- Becoming our version of Keiran Jack.
Jones- Really good showing, just imagine decent delivery.

Anchors - Howard ( or is it Howard Jones with that do) pathetic! He supposedly is a good kick.
I was willing to give him a go, but he was hopeless.
Austin ( a forward?) don't think he's up to it.

Remi Moses
05-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Bankers
Minson - great effort once again, 115 minutes of game time against 3 opponents.
Smith - rugged and classy effort all day.
Liam Jones - wonderful contested marking.

HM's Addison and Tutt

Anchors
Austin
Young

they both had a hard task today however

the fox footy commentator who gushes interminably about the eagles - two teams are actually out there.

The Gushing commentary on a guy who got one kick was extraordinary!

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Bankers:

1. Howard for having the decency to play to so badly that we are no longer left wondering and so won't have to bother wasting a spot on him again this season.
2. Or ever again.
3. Howard, for revealing that he does not have a leg cannon and leaving us in no doubt about that one either.

Love your work F'scary, you definitely lighten the mood around here! :D

Dry Rot
05-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Morris- Between Darling and Kennedy he must have had 7-10 goals kicked on him today.

Bad day at the office and players upfield not doing their job, or first signs of the beginning of the end?

bornadog
06-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Bad day at the office and players upfield not doing their job, or first signs of the beginning of the end?

Backline was completely disorganized no one seem to know who they were playing on. Unlike some, I thought Roughead was beaten badly today as was Young, Morris, Austin and even JJ was lost.

Greystache
06-05-2013, 12:02 AM

Pressure on the ball carrier was poor but he lost numerous one on one contests that were evenly balanced. Based on form this year you'd have to say bad day at the office.

Dry Rot
06-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Backline was completely disorganized no one seem to know who they were playing on. Unlike some, I thought Roughead was beaten badly today as was Young, Morris, Austin and even JJ was lost.

Pressure on the ball carrier was poor but he lost numerous one on one contests that were evenly balanced. Based on form this year you'd have to say bad day at the office.

Thanks. WCE focussed radio call of the game was not a good source of information this afternoon.

Sedat
06-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Bankers

Smith - Dogs BOG comfortably. Intensity in spades, intrinsically knows how to find the ball, impacts contests.

Stringer's goal - brilliant, smart, instinctive

Ummm, the red away strip looked terrific today

Anchors

Winning contested possessions and clearances means bugger-all when you are carved open like a tin of sardines on the spread time and time again. Player issue or MC issue? Bit if both I suspect.

Young - everything he touched today turned to poo. Slow off the mark, poor judgment of the flight of the ball, poor ball use when he got it, poor one-on-one in marking contests. Awful game.

Boyd - ball use terrible, and it started with his inside 50 in the first minute under no pressure that went straight to the West Coke defender.

boydogs
06-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Bankers
Smith - Making the forward role his own
Minson - Kills them at the stoppages every week
Boyd - Always a ball magnet

Anchors
Austin - gives us nothing
Young - smashed today
Stringer - for giving me a heart attack

ratsmac
06-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Bankers

Jones - At least competed, didn't get much support.
Smith - Showed a bit of ticker.
Minson - battled well

Anchors

McCartney - perplexing selections, and some of the match ups.
Fox commentary team - woeful, biased barracking.
Umpires - they make a mockery of the Appreciation round, they're dreadful..

My thoughts exactly. Thankyou

ratsmac
06-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Bankers

Smith - Dogs BOG comfortably. Intensity in spades, intrinsically knows how to find the ball, impacts contests.

Stringer's goal - brilliant, smart, instinctive

Ummm, the red away strip looked terrific today

Anchors

Winning contested possessions and clearances means bugger-all when you are carved open like a tin of sardines on the spread time and time again. Player issue or MC issue? Bit if both I suspect.

Young - everything he touched today turned to poo. Slow off the mark, poor judgment of the flight of the ball, poor ball use when he got it, poor one-on-one in marking contests. Awful game.

Boyd - ball use terrible, and it started with his inside 50 in the first minute under no pressure that went straight to the West Coke defender.

If Boyd can continue to do this what impact will this have on the younger players coming through?

FrediKanoute
06-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Will today GVG. What did you think?

Banker - Big Will - great competitor.
Clay Smith - Very hard to tackle in front of goal.
Liam Jones - Good contested marks

Anchor - me for predicting we might win.

I went further and put money on us to win........

chef
06-05-2013, 07:20 AM
I went further and put money on us to win........

Please put money on the Spurs this week:D.

Ozza
06-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Bankers:

Clay Smith - just terriffic. Works really hard - can be winning it in the back pocket, and then creating chances in front of goal with his rabid intensity a couple of minutes later.

Liam Jones - at his age - shouldn't have to be our number 1 forward every week. But he is - and to take 9 grabs, most contested, on a day where his midfield killed him - very admirable.

Wallis - shouldn't have been the sub. Won't be next week.

Anchors:

Boyd & Cross - our most experienced pair out there - did nothing in terms of leading the team, and trying to shift momentum. Had no impact whatsoever.

Howard - If he got drafted on the back of 'elite kicking skills' - then I'm a chance to get drafted.

Austin - Enormously out of his depth.

Remi Moses
06-05-2013, 05:57 PM
If Boyd can continue to do this what impact will this have on the younger players coming through?

Interesting that the coach wasn't happy with the senior group.
Didn't mention names of course, but you'd have to wonder.

boydogs
06-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Interesting that the coach wasn't happy with the senior group.
Didn't mention names of course, but you'd have to wonder.

There were what, 8 players over 50 games in that side?

Boyd
Cross
Cooney
Minson
Picken
Morris
Lower
Addison

Not many of them, narrows it down a bit.

bornadog
06-05-2013, 11:06 PM

Boyd
Cross
Cooney
Minson
Picken
Morris
Lower
Addison

To me one guy that was really disappointing was Morris. The backline seemed to be in disarray and really needed some leadership to marshal the young defenders. He was up against it with guys taller than himself, but I think some direction would have been better.

Ghost Dog
06-05-2013, 11:28 PM

Boyd
Cross
Cooney
Minson
Picken
Morris
Lower
Addison

I thought Stevens and Austin worked hard, but didn't impact the game at all. We needed them to be a bit more involved. Still, Eagles were good, and they make teams look average when all their talls are firing.