PDA

View Full Version : Match day makeup

The Adelaide Connection
06-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Without knowing a whole lot about the movers and shakers behind the scenes I must admit I have been very impressed with Mooney and what he seems to bring to the table. He is well spoken, reads the game well and from all reports is a great teacher.

As things were unravelling at times on the weekend he often chimed in with insightful comments, but as much as I enjoy his commentary I found myself thinking "don't tell me, get the message to the players!" His comments around Jones in the first quarter really seemed to be critical and I am wondering whether he got to him at quarter time because he changed his game dramatically after this. I felt that Jones needed Mooney on the bench and getting to him early in that quarter when he was struggling to work out how to get himself into the game.

Is it a question of funds that sees a couple of blokes that do work with various players tied up in the media, or would they have a limited role on matchday anyways? Is this another area where the rich/poor divide hurts? Or would it be a "too many cooks spoiling the broth" situation so they don't have a role during the quarter?

bornadog
06-05-2013, 11:01 PM
We do seem to have a few part timers down there and now with Gilbee and Johnno added in as well as Mooney and Scarlett, we have some greats of the game helping out.

Maybe some of these guys don't want a full time job at this stage and prefer the part time role until they figure they want to make it a career or not.

Either way, like you, I have been impressed by Mooney.

Ghost Dog
06-05-2013, 11:44 PM
What did Jones do that changed his game ? Came down the ground a bit more?

Hotdog60
07-05-2013, 06:36 AM
What did Jones do that changed his game ? Came down the ground a bit more?

He went to meet the ball rather than waiting for it. Looks a lot better when he attacks it, I think he ended up the ground more chasing kicks and trying to be a target for our lack of run out of half back.

Ghost Dog
07-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Good point. I noticed Stringer did this against Geelong. It's something Cordy has to do a bit more of this too.

Twodogs
07-05-2013, 08:49 AM
We do seem to have a few part timers down there and now with Gilbee and Johnno added in as well as Mooney and Scarlett, we have some greats of the game helping out.

I saw all those guys as well as Rohan Smith walking down Buckingham st near the footy ground one day last week. They must have been excercising. It would have been great to hear what they were talking about.

Ozza
07-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Maybe some of these guys don't want a full time job at this stage and prefer the part time role until they figure they want to make it a career or not.

Either way, like you, I have been impressed by Mooney.

I think that it is mostly this - particularly Mooney and Johnno - have media jobs that they enjoy.

Agree with others that these guys are doing great work with the players. I guess on game days, the forwards need to be getting their messages from Shannon Grant as coach of that group - and during the week Mooney can work with Jones on his forward craft.

We've seen Johnno, Mooney and Scarlett doing some work in small groups with the younger players/key position players - in the basketball stadium when my son has some sporting activity classes in there on Wednesdays. Its some good specific body positioning type stuff.

The Adelaide Connection
07-05-2013, 10:56 PM
I'd be interested to know if their affiliations with the club helps decide their schedule, i.e. they get assigned other games whilst we are in Melbourne but scheduled to work our less accessible games (interstate) so they can still have some level of contact.

In any case, I do see a huge potential upside of having a large contingent of our staff (who are not Aker) active in the media. They are doing a fair bit of low-level promotion and generally putting a positive spin on things and pumping our prospects.

Bulldog Revolution
08-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I saw all those guys as well as Rohan Smith walking down Buckingham st near the footy ground one day last week. They must have been excercising. It would have been great to hear what they were talking about.

Presumably thats the street that 'the Buck Hotel' is on

Used to get a great cheap steak sanga there before the games at Whitten/Western

F'scary
08-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Someone should have told them the pub has been turned into apartments.

Twodogs
11-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Presumably thats the street that 'the Buck Hotel' is on

Used to get a great cheap steak sanga there before the games at Whitten/Western

That's the one. It was my local until they closed it down.

Someone should have told them the pub has been turned into apartments.

Yep, the profitable, well run pub that was closed down A *!*!*!*!ING YEAR before they started redeveloping it. The idiot organisation that bought it out asked the people who ran the pub if they wanted to keep running it until the redeveopment went ahead. The problem was they waited until they'd already moved everyting out. The organisaion that bought had no solid plans for it when they chucked the landlord and landlady out and closed it down.

I'm not a spiteful person but I hope the turds redeveloping it go broke and I curse the next 7 generations of their familys.

strebla
11-05-2013, 12:13 PM
That's the one. It was my local until they closed it down.

Yep, the profitable, well run pub that was closed down A *!*!*!*!ING YEAR before they started redeveloping it. The idiot organisation that bought it out asked the people who ran the pub if they wanted to keep running it until the redeveopment went ahead. The problem was they waited until they'd already moved everyting out. The organisaion that bought had no solid plans for it when they chucked the landlord and landlady out and closed it down.

I'm not a spiteful person but I hope the turds redeveloping it go broke and I curse the next 7 generations of their familys.

No not spiteful at all it was the last of the footy pubs to go with the rising sun and the albert also closed very sad days indeed.These days if you don't have pokies you are in the devolopers line of sight. A good local these days is a rare gem for those of us who prefer banter to dropping coins into the deep abyss.