PDA

View Full Version : Coach's Office - Clay Smith Player Review (Rd6)

bornadog
07-05-2013, 02:27 PM
9CpbLpZIUkE

Dry Rot
07-05-2013, 02:32 PM
I like Hansen's reviews. Ditto Smith.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Nice balanced review there.

Hopefully Hansen sticks around for a few years.

boydogs
08-05-2013, 12:32 AM
This is turning into a bit of a talk ourselves up type of thing, the reviews are pretty balanced but they always pick the best performed kid each week to review

wimberga
08-05-2013, 08:21 AM
This is turning into a bit of a talk ourselves up type of thing, the reviews are pretty balanced but they always pick the best performed kid each week to review

At least each week its a different kid (so far I think...) which hopefully means when they start putting it together on the same day....

Ghost Dog
08-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Love these
But what's with the music track? Sounds like electric Russian folk music....:)

Mantis
08-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Yep.

I know it's probably not going to happen, but it would be nice to hear the coaches thoughts on a player that didn't perform so well with suggestions on what they need to do better.

azabob
08-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Your just annoyed they don't do Jake Stringer each week :D

Not sure what you expected though? Of course it should be a positive story and personally I think there is nothing wrong with that. If we can't hang our hat on emerging talent, what can we?

boydogs
08-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Your just annoyed they don't do Jake Stringer each week :D

Got it in 1 :D

Not sure what you expected though? Of course it should be a positive story and personally I think there is nothing wrong with that. If we can't hang our hat on emerging talent, what can we?

I'd rather hear the coaches views on how our players are really going, than hear a good news story cherry picked each week and then turn around and watch us lose by 10 goals every game, and wonder what happened.

azabob
08-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I'd rather hear the coaches views on how our players are really going, than hear a good news story cherry picked each week and then turn around and watch us lose by 10 goals every game, and wonder what happened.

I hear what your saying - not sure I agree picking out individuals and publicly saying they are struggling and this is why. I don't think that would be good for morale.
Behind closed doors I imagine would be a different story.

I'm thinking the coaches letter is designed to sum up how we are going - good, bad or indifferent. Whether it satisfy supporters is another question.

AndrewP6
08-05-2013, 08:14 PM
It's probably better than no communication at all, but I'm not that interested in it. This one's the first I've actually watched. From a PR perspective, it's probably a good thing.

boydogs
08-05-2013, 09:01 PM
I hear what your saying - not sure I agree picking out individuals and publicly saying they are struggling and this is why. I don't think that would be good for morale.

Fair point.

LongWait
08-05-2013, 09:11 PM
The coaches won't and shouldn't publicly crucify a player in a review.

Ghost Dog
08-05-2013, 09:29 PM
There's more than enough crucifying done in here :) even the Romans would be sqeamish.

F'scary
09-05-2013, 01:35 PM

No review therefore for Howard.

Mantis
09-05-2013, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure anyone wants that, but it would be nice to hear some 'constructive criticism' or tips on what player 'x' needs to do better.. perhaps in regard to positioning with some passages of plays as examples.

soupman
09-05-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure anyone wants that, but it would be nice to hear some 'constructive criticism' or tips on what player 'x' needs to do better.. perhaps in regard to positioning with some passages of plays as examples.

I understand what you are saying but I think the club is being very careful about what they expose to the public and what they don't.

The idea of these videos is to say "this is what they should be doing, and here are some examples of them doing it correctly". It shows the player is developing as hoped, highlights the role expected of them and would surely be a confidence boost to them. It also gives supporters something positive to look at. I think doing the thing you suggested takes away from rewarding and celebrating the player and instead would be portrayed by the club as a form of public teaching, which I don't think is the intention of these videos. The club knows that we know the player isn't there yet, so there is no need to point that out to us.