PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 8 vs Gold Coast

Greystache
11-05-2013, 02:27 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next week's game against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for you changes would be appreciated.

Hotdog60
11-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Hard to go with in and outs when Willy didn't play. If Stringer and Macrae are right to go will they come in?
Does Williams get a run?

Out: Austin,Tutt
In: Williams, Macrae

ReLoad
11-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Out: Tutt, Austin, Wallis (needs a spell) Cooney (also needs a spell)
In: Stringer, Macrae, Williams and Scarlett or Mooney.

G-Mo77
11-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Out: Austin, Tutt

In: Stringer, Macrae.

Greystache
11-05-2013, 10:36 PM
In- Stringer, McCrae

Out- Austin, Tutt

Austin isn't an AFL player. Tutt was awful tonight and we were virtually one short. Smith was no better but was outstanding last week. Markovic needs to be kept out of defence but showed a bit up forward and in the ruck and showed he can take a mark. I'd probably give Hrovat one more at Willi then bring him in too.

bornadog
11-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Out: Tutt, Wallis, Cooney (rest him, woeful tonight), Austin, JJ (Rest)

In: Williams, Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat, Goodes

bulldogtragic
11-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Out: Tutt, Wallis, Cooney (rest him, woeful tonight), Austin

In: Williams, Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat, Goodes, JJ (rest)
That's four out and six in. We'd still get thumped by GC....

bornadog
11-05-2013, 10:46 PM
That's four out and six in. We'd still get thumped by GC....

Whoops, better change that:D JJ is already an in, he should be an out

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-05-2013, 10:52 PM
In. Stringer Macrae Goodes Roberts
Out. Austin Tutt Addison and Wallis
We need to keep playing Stringer Macrae and Roberts. Prudden Hrovat and Hunter should all come under consideration sooner than later.

GVGjr
11-05-2013, 10:56 PM
In Hrovat, Williams, Goodes and Stinger
Out Tutt, Austin, Markovic and Wallis

Against the GC side is the best time to play Hrovat. Williams must be close but if he needs another week then Markovic stays. Goodes will settle down the back line kick ins and Stringer up forward helps us.

I'd like to see Williams up forward so maybe Markovic stays

G-Mo77
11-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Forgot about Goodes. Obvious in.

Greystache
11-05-2013, 10:58 PM
In- Stringer, McCrae

Out- Austin, Tutt

Austin isn't an AFL player. Tutt was awful tonight and we were virtually one short. Smith was no better but was outstanding last week. Markovic needs to be kept out of defence but showed a bit up forward and in the ruck and showed he can take a mark. I'd probably give Hrovat one more at Willi then bring him in too.

Actually I've changed my mind

In- Stringer, McCrae, Hrovat

Out- Austin, Tutt, Wallis

Wallis' skills are poor, he doesn't create, and is just another of what we already have.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2013, 10:58 PM
In Hrovat, Williams, Goodes and Stinger
Out Tutt, Austin, Markovic and Wallis

Against the GC side is the best time to play Hrovat. Williams must be close but if he needs another week then Markovic stays. Goodes will settle down the back line kick ins and Stringer up forward helps us.

I'd like to see Williams up forward so maybe Markovic stays
Seems well considered. Tend to agree.

westbulldog
11-05-2013, 11:52 PM
In Stringer McCrae Goodes
Out Austin Tutt Wallis

Remi Moses
12-05-2013, 04:29 AM
In Stringer Macrae Goodes
Out Austin Tutt Wallis or Libba rested

Remi Moses
12-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Out. Austin Tutt Addison and Wallis
We need to keep playing Stringer Macrae and Roberts. Prudden Hrovat and Hunter should all come under consideration sooner than later.

I know Addison brings good defensive pressure ( something the forward half occasionally brings to the table) but there were two instances in front of me where he had space to lead into in the f50.He didn't have the smarts to lead. Instead he ventured towards the goals with his opponent.

GVGjr
12-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I need to reconsider my ins and outs. I think Stevens should be in the mix to return and I'd still like to see Hrovat debut.

Hotdog60
12-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I need to reconsider my ins and outs. I think Stevens should be in the mix to return and I'd still like to see Hrovat debut.

I'd be keen to give him a run, would you use him as the sub? Have him start on the ground and if he runs out of puff bring in Stevens.

DOG GOD
12-05-2013, 11:28 AM
I could see Hrovat being the sub, so with that....

In-Hrovat, stringer, McCrae, Goodes
Out- tutt, Austin, wallis, cooney (rested)

MrMahatma
12-05-2013, 11:33 AM
I'd keep Tutt. Been ok last few weeks. A kid had a shocker? No surprises. Worth persisting with for a few weeks IMO.

Out: Austin, Marko.
In: Jake and Jack.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2013, 12:44 PM
I see a few posters have mentioned dropping Wallis. I think there are a few reasons to drop a player. Here is where I see Mitch fitting into those reasons.

1-The time honoured tradition: 'He isn't in the best 22'- Even though Mitch isn't setting the world on fire, he is clearly in our best 22. We can shift the deckchairs all we want but we are going to end up with 4 or so virtual non-contributors a week. At his poorest, Mitch is still above the worst handful.

2- Attitude: 'He needs to learn a lesson'- I do not believe his issues are attitude/work rate related. If so, drop him but that's the case with anyone. I think the biggest lesson he can learn is getting himself out of a rut.

3- Confidence: 'Let him get a few touches at Willi'- He is getting enough of it most weeks and he is in his 3rd year. I think it is time for him to learn to get himself out of a min-rut the hard way rather than just collected it 40 times at Pt. Gellibrand where his disposal will be further masked.

My ins and outs anyway...

In- Stringer, Goodes
Out- Austin, Tutt

jeemak
12-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Tend to agree Rocco.

Ins - Stringer, Goodes, Macrae
Outs - Tutt, JJ, Austin

Tutt's output hasn't been of a high calibre in recent weeks, even if he has shown some glimpse of why he might become an AFL player.

A straight swap for Goodes and JJ, even though the latter might relish being under a touch less pressure against the young GC team.

I don't see much of a future for Austin.

LostDoggy
12-05-2013, 01:20 PM
This is one of the critical games of the year that determines our end ladder position, and draft position. Without being callled out as wanting to follow Melbourne:

Option 1: We rest our players and aim pick 1 or 2

Outs: Minson, Cooney, Jones (all justified on needing a rest), Roughead,Tutt
Ins: Campbell, Stringer, Macrae, Goodes, Redpath

Option 2 - We aim to win (my preference)

Outs: Tutt, Austin, Wallis & JJ (rest), Cross
Ins: Goodes, Williams, Hrovat, Macrae, Stevens

I think we need to start rotating Cross, Boyd and Gia in out for rest of season. Anyone noticed how we have got worse when Boyd came back...? Not saying Boyd is bad just wondering if other players are sitting back and subconsciously letting him do it all...

boydogs
12-05-2013, 04:08 PM
I'd keep Tutt. Been ok last few weeks. A kid had a shocker? No surprises. Worth persisting with for a few weeks IMO.

Yes, kids are inconsistent, but unless we want to lose by 10 goals every week we have to cherry pick our way through their form & drop them to Willy when they are struggling and bring in another one who has been rested and ready to go again. Playing GC in round 8 isn't the time to play the kids at all costs.

Out: Austin, Tutt, Smith, Markovic, Addison
In: Goodes, Stringer, Williams, Stevens, Macrae

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Yes, kids are inconsistent, but unless we want to lose by 10 goals every week we have to cherry pick our way through their form & drop them to Willy when they are struggling and bring in another one who has been rested and ready to go again. Playing GC in round 8 isn't the time to play the kids at all costs.

I am not sure that Clay Smith should be dropped. He was our best player last week against WCE and was surprised he was left on the wing yesterday . Looks a better prospect than Wallis and can kick a goal.

EasternWest
12-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Out. Austin Tutt Addison and Wallis.

Curious as to why you guys want Addison out.

It seems every week, regardless of how he plays, some want him out.

boydogs
12-05-2013, 07:45 PM
I am not sure that Clay Smith should be dropped. He was our best player last week against WCE and was surprised he was left on the wing yesterday . Looks a better prospect than Wallis and can kick a goal.

6 touches and a goal this week, we know he is capable of more so this tells me he is tiring and needs a rest in order to get back to his best

Curious as to why you guys want Addison out.

It seems every week, regardless of how he plays, some want him out.

10 touches and no goals, any of Stringer, Williams or Macrae up forward should be able to improve on that.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2013, 07:46 PM
The Suns going in favouries against you is like the moment a son legit beats his dad at something. Always bound to happen but too early on for us.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2013, 08:40 PM
The Suns going in favouries against you is like the moment a son legit beats his dad at something. Always bound to happen but too early on for us.
Shows where we are at. Sad.

angelopetraglia
12-05-2013, 08:44 PM
We have won one of our last eighteen games. That is where we are at. That is the type of form that normally ensures you bottom spot, but the AFL world is a little different at the moment. We don't deserve favouritism in any game on that form.

lemmon
12-05-2013, 08:52 PM
As long as Austin comes out, Roberts has a few games under his belt now. Fletch plays the swing-man role at VFL level while Austin is mostly a key back and its not like Austin is performing to a level that a second year player couldn't.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2013, 10:23 PM
We have won one of our last eighteen games. That is where we are at. That is the type of form that normally ensures you bottom spot, but the AFL world is a little different at the moment.

It's amazing really.

1 out of 18 is an incredibly depressing stat, it's remarkable that McCartney isn't being put under serious pressure.

Although given today's result at the MCG, maybe not.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2013, 10:50 PM
It's amazing really.

1 out of 18 is an incredibly depressing stat, it's remarkable that McCartney isn't being put under serious pressure.

Although given today's result at the MCG, maybe not.

We are irrelevant as a club in the media by and large. Scott makes a good point. If Griffen was at any other club, he would be a superstar. Our supporters are getting tired. The older generation who sticks by their club are getting older and passing on. Replaced by a newer, often fickle generation.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2013, 10:52 PM
We are irrelevant as a club in the media by and large. Scott makes a good point. If Griffen was at any other club, he would be a superstar.

Sad but true.

Nobody, including opposition fans/clubs, could care less about us and it won't change until our actions on the field do.

The club would have to be extremely worried about the poor attendances.

bornadog
13-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Sad but true.

Nobody, including opposition fans/clubs, could care less about us and it won't change until our actions on the field do.

The club would have to be extremely worried about the poor attendances.

Last year was our worst average attendance since 1996.

G-Mo77
13-05-2013, 09:10 AM
For those that watched on TV was there any vision of Picken and Swallow off the ball? If it's on camera I think he might miss a game or two.

The Pie Man
13-05-2013, 10:37 AM
In: Stevens, Macrae, Goodes
Out: Tutt, Wallis, Austin

Would also consider Stringer for Markovic
Still can't figure out why Stevens was dropped
Macrae adds class to a midfield sorely lacking
Wallis playing well is best 22 - on current form he isn't

LostDoggy
13-05-2013, 11:04 AM
In: Goodes, Roberts, Macrae

Out: Tutt (Omitted), Austin (Omitted), Smith (Soreness)

Goodes is an automatic inclusion after serving his suspension. Tutt makes way for him, who despite showing a some glimpses over the last few rounds, hasn't done enough to warrant selection. Austin has barely given a yelp over the same period and he makes way for Roberts who is already better at both ends of the ground. Smith was non-factor against North after being our BOG against WCE which says to me that he needs a rest. Macrae comes in fresh.

craigsahibee
13-05-2013, 02:02 PM
I want Stringer, Macrae, Goodes, Stevens and Grant in. However, I can't see the Match Committee making 5 changes but as the question was "If you were on the match committee....", I would drop Austin and Tutt, rest JJ, Gia and Addison to be omitted for developmental reasons.

mjp
13-05-2013, 02:56 PM
I am not really too bothered by the outs.

Stringer should come back in and play forward.
Stevens needs to come into the midfield.
Smith needs to be MOVED permanently forward. Leave him and Addison down there along with Jones, Stringer and Dalhaus.
Macrae to come in and play half-back (on the other side of JJ).
Goodes to come in and play back.

If Williams is truly ready, he should come in for Austin as a direct one-for-one.

I know it is a cop out not listing the outs but to me it is a little bit of deck chairs at the moment. I think our seven backs should be:

Morris, Goodes, Roughead, Young, JJ, Macrae and Williams. (One rotator).

Our forwards should be:
Stringer, Addison, Jones, Murphy, Dalhaus, Smith

Our mids should be:

Minson, Griffen, Cooney, Liber, Wallis, Boyd, Stevens and Lower.

Pick whoever you like to give Minson a chop-out - Markovic I guess (who can relieve Williams as well) and pick one out of Cross/Gia to play...I would keep Tutt and play him as the sub but that is me.

whythelongface
13-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Ins:

Stringer; Macrae; Goodes; Stevens;

Outs:

Austin; Tutt; Gia; Cross

I would also like to see Grant given a run but just can't see it happening at this stage.

These are the changes that I would like to see being made, however I doubt that Gia will be dropped (particularly after kicking 4 goals) and if a 4th change is made it will probably end up being Addison.

Sedat
13-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I am not really too bothered by the outs.

Stringer should come back in and play forward.
Stevens needs to come into the midfield.
Smith needs to be MOVED permanently forward. Leave him and Addison down there along with Jones, Stringer and Dalhaus.
Macrae to come in and play half-back (on the other side of JJ).
Goodes to come in and play back.

If Williams is truly ready, he should come in for Austin as a direct one-for-one.

I know it is a cop out not listing the outs but to me it is a little bit of deck chairs at the moment. I think our seven backs should be:

Morris, Goodes, Roughead, Young, JJ, Macrae and Williams. (One rotator).

Our forwards should be:
Stringer, Addison, Jones, Murphy, Dalhaus, Smith

Our mids should be:

Minson, Griffen, Cooney, Liber, Wallis, Boyd, Stevens and Lower.

Pick whoever you like to give Minson a chop-out - Markovic I guess (who can relieve Williams as well) and pick one out of Cross/Gia to play...I would keep Tutt and play him as the sub but that is me.
Some terrific insights there, and hard to argue with any of the suggestions. They will also generate some continuity with our forward and defensive groups - far too much chopping and changing has taken place in both areas this season. Our defensive unit under the previous coach was played together virtually from day one, and together they became a terrific and dependable defensive unit who knew each other's games intimately.

The 'Smith forward' suggestion is especially pertinent and worth highlighting. He is all at sea playing out wide in space - in short he is not a wingman's backside and showed it again on the weekend how ill-suited he is when deployed in such a way (if the Freo, Richmond and North games weren't enough evidence already). He was comfortably our best player last week almost playing as a designated lead-up CHF and crashed a few packs, and likewise he was very good the week before in a similar role against Geelong. Leave him there, let him get continuity and confidence in his role and watch him blossom. Using him out wide as an outside runner has been just one of a number of mystifying decisions that our MC has made this season.

bornadog
13-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Some terrific insights there, and hard to argue with any of the suggestions. They will also generate some continuity with our forward and defensive groups - far too much chopping and changing has taken place in both areas this season.

The 'Smith forward' suggestion is especially pertinent and worth highlighting. He is all at sea playing out wide in space - in short he is not a wingman's backside and showed it again on the weekend how ill-suited he is when deployed in such a way (if the Freo, Richmond and North games weren't enough evidence already). He was comfortably our best player last week almost playing as a designated lead-up CHF and crashed a few packs, and likewise he was very good the week before in a similar role against Geelong. Leave him there, let him get continuity and confidence in his role and watch him blossom. Using him out wide as an outside runner has been just one of a number of mystifying decisions that our MC has made this season.

I agree he should go forward (see my suggestion in previous threads). I think on the weekend he played a go with role on Ziebell if I am not mistaken. In any case, he is more value up forward.

Bulldog4life
13-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I agree he should go forward (see my suggestion in previous threads). I think on the weekend he played a go with role on Ziebell if I am not mistaken. In any case, he is more value up forward.

He is learning to play different positions and roles for the team. There will be ups and downs.

The Pie Man
13-05-2013, 05:53 PM
For those that watched on TV was there any vision of Picken and Swallow off the ball? If it's on camera I think he might miss a game or two.

Can accept a reprimand, free to play if he does.

G-Mo77
13-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Can accept a reprimand, free to play if he does.

http://www.scancrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/excellent-4689_preview.png

I thought Swallow milked it personally. Would have rather he whacked the little germ.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Ins:

Stringer; Macrae; Goodes; Stevens;

Outs:

Austin; Tutt; Gia; Cross

I would also like to see Grant given a run but just can't see it happening at this stage.

These are the changes that I would like to see being made, however I doubt that Gia will be dropped (particularly after kicking 4 goals) and if a 4th change is made it will probably end up being Addison.
Gia's 4 goals should enable him to be retained. I would prefer to see Roberts come in as another key defender. Would not like to see Cross dropped. His courage and determination are needed still in a young and inexperienced team.
Macrae at this stage could play at Willy to gain greater experience without the added pressure at AFL level. Stringer on the other hand has a stronger body and able to cope with the extra pressure.
Ins:
Stringer Roberts Stevens Goodes
Outs:
Austin Tutt Addison Wallis

w3design
13-05-2013, 11:22 PM
As much as I would love to see Williams at FF, no way he can come in without some match fitness.

Austin should be an auto out, he is providing nothing.

I think the only grounds for retaining Marko, is that we have no other support for Will, and that is unsustainable. So perhaps Marko to FF and 2nd ruck for a week since Ayce is unavailable. If Fletch R produces one more decent game at Willy this week, then he could be tried the following week if Williams is still not ready.

Tutt and Coons provided next to nothing this week, but not sure that merits being dropped straight away, unless the reason for that is injury/fitness related.

Gia contributed 4 goals, but history suggest that the two weeks following a contribution game, he is likely to go totally missing. Hope he can break that pattern, otherwise we will have another passenger.

I think Stringer, McCrae and Goodes are the likely ins, as we need Goodesy's steadiness and kicking down back, and a bit of pace mid and forward.

Remi Moses
14-05-2013, 02:51 AM
In Goodes Stringer Macrae
Out Austin Cross Addison

Cyberdoggie
14-05-2013, 02:17 PM
In Goodes Stringer Macrae
Out Austin Cross Addison

I'd probably go with this except i'd keep Cross in. Yes he's getting old but he still had 11 disposals in a quarter and he's a senior player. Tutt i would like to keep in and perhaps give him a go as a sub where he can exploit his pace in the last quarter, but only getting 1 handball in 3/4's of football last week is just not good enough. I think i could of got at least 2.

DragzLS1
14-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Ins: Goodes, Stringer and Stevens

Outs: Austin, Addison and Wallis

Hotdog60
14-05-2013, 06:56 PM
I sat and watched a bit of the Dees v Suns game and although I think we will win it I would be a little concerned about their outside run. Their leg speed may trouble us and Tutt maybe need purely for a bit of speed. Ablett is their main player stating the obvious so I would like Picken and Lower to tag team him.

Williams may slot straight in and I hope he can hold it together, Goodes down back for Austin, Williams for Markovic which means giving Will the chop out at times.

I would also like to fit Stringer in but lost on who to drop.

bulldogsfight
14-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Cam mooney on Sen indicated Williams to play Chf

Ghost Dog
14-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Underdogs. Yeesh.
Like your thoughts MJP but Tutt adds sweet FA as a sub IMO. Get MaCrae.

bornadog
14-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Cam mooney on Sen indicated Williams to play Chf

Why CHF? Why Why Why.

JohnGentStand
14-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Ins:
Goodes, Williams, Stringer
Out:
Tutt, Austin, ....Addison? / Smith?
I like Addison, he just doesnt pose the threat that Stringer does...
I like Smith, I just dont know...... pass the coin please!

JohnGentStand
14-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Why CHF? Why Why Why.

I think he gives us somehing at CHF*.

* when he gets on the park.

LongWait
14-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Why CHF? Why Why Why.

Because he's shown in the limited opportunities he's had up forward that he's a handful. Big body, hard, good overhead happy to use his body to crash packs and do some damage. If Williams is right to play I'd bring him straight into the forward line and also let him help big Will out.

Williams is a perfect 'swing man' able to play in defence, attack and as pinch-hitting ruckman. He'll be our Leigh Brown if he can stay on the park.

AndrewP6
14-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Has Williams played at Willy? Huge risk putting him back in after injury, with his glass body and all.

bornadog
15-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Because he's shown in the limited opportunities he's had up forward that he's a handful. Big body, hard, good overhead happy to use his body to crash packs and do some damage. If Williams is right to play I'd bring him straight into the forward line and also let him help big Will out.

Williams is a perfect 'swing man' able to play in defence, attack and as pinch-hitting ruckman. He'll be our Leigh Brown if he can stay on the park.

We are desperate for a CHB, he has played that role for many years and last year we stick him there for three matches with limited success and now he is our saviour at CHF?

I really have to question the MC's thinking about our selections and positioning at the moment.

jeemak
15-05-2013, 12:24 AM
We are desperate for a CHB, he has played that role for many years and last year we stick him there for three matches with limited success and now he is our saviour at CHF?

I really have to question the MC's thinking about our selections and positioning at the moment.

Not sure anyone's stated he's the saviour at CHF, though it's pretty clear Jones needs a hand in that area of the ground and all others we've tried there to date haven't measured up, so putting Williams there on the back of a few solid showings last year might be worth persevering with.

I agree we're struggling in defence at the moment, though a lot of our issues in the backline are exacerbated by our poor performances offensively and the ease at which the ball is transferred form our forward line to that of the opposition.

Having said that, I'm left a little muddled by the decisions of the MC sometimes but really, without being close to the group it's really hard to tell what they're trying to do.

Remi Moses
15-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Be staggered if Williams came straight in
I'd be more inclined to give Roberts a gig.
Good news that Talia is fit, as Austin's not up to it.

Bulldog Joe
15-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Be staggered if Williams came straight inI'd be more inclined to give Roberts a gig.
Good news that Talia is fit, as Austin's not up to it.

Williams might as well come in and play some senior footy.
He will offer more than Austin even if he needs crutches.

G-Mo77
15-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Both Williams and Talia are fit. I'd be surprised if one of them doesn't play.

AndrewP6
15-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Both Williams and Talia are fit. I'd be surprised if one of them doesn't play.

Fit as in "not injured" or fit as in "have the necessary match conditioning to play".

With Williams loooong history, I'd be very hesitant playing him without being match fit.

G-Mo77
16-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Fit as in "not injured" or fit as in "have the necessary match conditioning to play".

With Williams loooong history, I'd be very hesitant playing him without being match fit.

With Williams it's usually somewhere in the middle. From my view, we need him badly and if he's right to go then he's in. His long injury history doesn't concern me as it doesn't really matter at what stage he plays, chances are he'll get injured.

The more logical choice would be a guy like Roberts who's played a couple of games. Maybe Austin stays?

bulldogsthru&thru
16-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Out: Austin, Wallis, Tutt and Addison
In: Goodes, Stevens, Stringer, Macrae

Quite like the changes

wimberga
16-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Agree BT&T

Good changes all around. Wouldn't have minded if Tutt was kept on & someone else kicked out but happy enough.

The Pie Man
16-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Addison maybe harsh, but I like the 4 ins

Hotdog60
16-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Congratulations on Nick Lower's 50th game

Rocco Jones
16-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Interesting to see Williams listed as an emergency.

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Good Changes, although I'd like to have seen Tutt stay in.

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Williams might as well come in and play some senior footy.
He will offer more than Austin even if he needs crutches.

Dead right BJ. Would have been able to go physically with Majak.
Can Williams get through any game of footy?

Ghost Dog
16-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Rohan Conolly has gone for the Suns. Should be right then, cause he's usually wrong.
Just seen the team announcement. If we play like professionals, we should be hard to beat. Stringer, Jones, Cooney, Griffen. Good talent - not paid for their pretty faces. Although with Gia, I sometimes wonder :)

Scorlibo
16-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Does anyone else get a little distressed seeing Cooney played off a half-back flank? Every time he's gone into the centre this year he's been amazing. Play your best players in their best position, B-Mac. Coaching 101.

Maddog37
16-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Andrew Mcloud was one of the Crows best and played back flank alot.

lemmon
16-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Andrew Mcloud was one of the Crows best and played back flank alot.

Even Sam Mitchell has spent a lot of the year there, need good users from the back

Scorlibo
16-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Coons does his damage through the middle.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Coons does his damage through the middle.

If I were an opposition coach, where would I hate having Cooney? Yeah maybe in the middle. But while we have Griffen, we can give Coons a more outside role to extend the life of his knee - hopefully.
He'll never make a final with us again more than likely. So use his skills to support the kids, as they learn to replace him in the middle.

Maddog37
16-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Stops him from being tagged too which is important for Coons.

AndrewP6
16-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Does anyone else get a little distressed seeing Cooney played off a half-back flank? Every time he's gone into the centre this year he's been amazing. Play your best players in their best position, B-Mac. Coaching 101.

I'm sure it's done to help him manage the knee. I'm just thankful he's still running round to be honest. And apart from last week he's been alright.

Cyberdoggie
17-05-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm sure it's done to help him manage the knee. I'm just thankful he's still running round to be honest. And apart from last week he's been alright.

I guess it's kind of like a movie trailer isn't it, just a teaser that we want to see more of but i'm just happy he's out there playing decent footy. If all we can get is a burst in the last quarter then that will have to do for now.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Good Changes, although I'd like to have seen Tutt stay in.

On what basis?

He got 1 possession last week and besides his first game, has never even looked like influencing or contributing to a game of football. He is insipid in a contest, he fumbles, he regularly misses targets and easy shots at goal, and the list goes on.

The idea of him being able to run and play an outside game is nice, but the only place he can be effective whilst running is the athletics track.

G-Mo77
17-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Happy with the In's. More surprised about the Addison ommision than Wallis. Hopefully Mitch bounces back next week.

whythelongface
17-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Happy with the In's. More surprised about the Addison ommision than Wallis. Hopefully Mitch bounces back next week.

Agree. Would have preferred Gia being dropped to Addison, however very hard to justify dropping someone after a 4 goal effort.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 10:17 AM
I used to dislike GIa as a player. But now he is one of my favorites. He knows his limitations, but plays to his strengths to perfection. Not to say I'm 'happy' about Addison being dropped, but I am happy with the ins

Bulldog Revolution
17-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Agreed Andrew, We forget where hes been the past two years when we think we can just plonk in the middle and play 4 quarters.

I think the coaching staff have handled him superbly this season, they've moved him around, got good impact in the backline and forward on the scoreboard, as well as midfield. With Griffen out he got a lot of opposition attention.

All that said - he was ordinary against North and needs to lift this weekend

Scorlibo
17-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I suppose none of us really know exactly what aggravates Cooney's knee. If playing on a half back flank is beneficial then sure, keep him there. But if he's being played there for set up purposes I wouldn't be too impressed.

Echoing the thoughts of others, I find it very surprising to see Addison omitted. Maybe he disobeyed coaches orders at some point last week? I thought he gave a real contest, despite not getting much of the pill.

mjp
17-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Addison and Tutt (I thought) were amongst our best vs WCE. Were they ordinary last week? Yep. Were a couple who were OK last week ordinary the week before (against better opposition under more difficult circumstances?). Yep.

Add me to the group of people who don't understand.

LongWait
17-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Addison and Tutt (I thought) were amongst our best vs WCE. Were they ordinary last week? Yep. Were a couple who were OK last week ordinary the week before (against better opposition under more difficult circumstances?). Yep.

Add me to the group of people who don't understand.

I guess we are all making judgements based on something like 10% to 50% of the information available to the match committee.

KT31
17-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Addison IMO is stiff, he has turned me around a smidgeon and I think with the list in its current state he has something to offer.

Remi Moses
17-05-2013, 02:13 PM
On what basis?

He got 1 possession last week and besides his first game, has never even looked like influencing or contributing to a game of football. He is insipid in a contest, he fumbles, he regularly misses targets and easy shots at goal, and the list goes on.

The idea of him being able to run and play an outside game is nice, but the only place he can be effective whilst running is the athletics track.

Like him to have a decent run in the team.

mjp
17-05-2013, 02:35 PM
I guess we are all making judgements based on something like 10% to 50% of the information available to the match committee.

Of course we are. But not knowing what you don't know doesn't make it any easier to understand, does it? It is like this every week - we never know what we don't know...I wish I did have some more insight but I don't so I can just sit and wonder like everyone else.

I am extremely frustrated by the Tutt decision. I KNOW he was woeful last week. I KNOW! But we have the coach saying we are going to run and spread more, and then we leave out one player who just two weeks ago really tried to do that in a horrible loss to a team who many picked to win the flag this year who are just starting to get some players back away from home.

I can only assume his performance last week has landed him in the doghouse - and that is probably fair enough. My only point I guess is that I hope the decision has not been made on the NM game in isolation.

Axe Man
17-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Personally this week I couldn't care less who deserves a game, who should get an extended run, who should be played for development purposes, etc, etc. I just hope that the match committees basis for selection this week was: what team can we pick that will give us the absolute best chance of winning?

The club, players and supporters need a win to provide a little bit of a spark, some hope, a little light at the end of the tunnel. We have at least 75% of matches this year that we have little chance of winning, lets experiment and develop the side in those games. This week lets just win.

LongWait
17-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Of course we are. But not knowing what you don't know doesn't make it any easier to understand, does it? It is like this every week - we never know what we don't know...I wish I did have some more insight but I don't so I can just sit and wonder like everyone else.

I am extremely frustrated by the Tutt decision. I KNOW he was woeful last week. I KNOW! But we have the coach saying we are going to run and spread more, and then we leave out one player who just two weeks ago really tried to do that in a horrible loss to a team who many picked to win the flag this year who are just starting to get some players back away from home.

I can only assume his performance last week has landed him in the doghouse - and that is probably fair enough. My only point I guess is that I hope the decision has not been made on the NM game in isolation.

I agree with all you've said MJP.

I suspect that Tutt failed to meet expectations in areas that the coaching staff expected him to improve in, or in tasks he was to undertake (probably of a defensive nature.) We will never know, and, I agree it is frustrating for us to be left guessing.

bornadog
17-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I agree with all you've said MJP.

I suspect that Tutt failed to meet expectations in areas that the coaching staff expected him to improve in, or in tasks he was to undertake (probably of a defensive nature.) We will never know, and, I agree it is frustrating for us to be left guessing.

You are probably right there, somehow, he just couldn't get anywhere near the contest last week. However, I must say, I thought we played him in the wrong position. Tutt is not a HFF, and really should have been on the wing and Smith should have played the half forward role, instead of the wing.

Anyhow, lets hope he bounces back.

w3design
17-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Have to agree with a lot of the above sentiments. On the omissions, some did have to come out to make room for the returnees. However I admit that I was disappointed to see Wal dropped, and both surprised and disappointed to see Dylan dropped again.

I know every team seems to have a DA..the proverbial scape goat or sacrificial lamb. When a spot in the team is required for the return of a high profile player, time and again out they go, rarely getting a chance to cement themselves a regular position.

Perhaps as Long Wait suggests,we are not privy to all the grounds for certain selections, or non selections, but still perhaps the role of sacrificial lamb could be more equitably distributed.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I like DFA but I'd rather play Stringer at FF if they think he can play the game out and that seems to me to be the trade. Wallis has gone backward this year and needs to work on his spacial awareness. Think he's struggling with the speed mentally and just rushes himself and the team into trouble. Stevens offers us a harder, bigger body. Macrae is an upgrade for Tutt in my opinion - less pace but will get more pill with greater skill. Goodes upgrades Austin. Only question for me would be can Tommy W get up and swap with Marco. It looks like close to our best side on paper. We would want to win it!

bulldogtragic
17-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Something tells me DFA won't be with us next year. I don't see much currency, perhaps a trade to Melbourne or GWS for a late pick, or he walks for more opportunities. I wouldn't and couldn't blame him to way he has been yoyo'd around selection for the past few years.

bornadog
17-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Something tells me DFA won't be with us next year. I don't see much currency, perhaps a trade to Melbourne or GWS for a late pick, or he walks for more opportunities. I wouldn't and couldn't blame him to way he has been yoyo'd around selection for the past few years.

Lets be realistic, I think he is lucky to be playing at AFL level. He is not consistent from week to week. He is not skilful and relies on his guts and determination which is hard to do for 100% of a match. I think we need him at present, just because he fills a void in that 22 to 27 bracket, but lets face it, there an't too many teams that would draft him.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 05:45 PM

In fairness he's only been best 24 or 25 for the last 2 years or so surely? 08-10 he was a top 30 fringe player? Get your point but I don't think the selectors have been deliberately harsh. Its been ability vs the squad around him that has kept him on the outer. Can see the argument that he could be considered best 22 at the moment but I see him and wallis as 22 - 25 ish still so I guess I side with the selectors.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2013, 05:48 PM
In fairness he's only been best 24 or 25 for the last 2 years or so surely? 08-10 he was a top 30 fringe player? Get your point but I don't think the selectors have been deliberately harsh. Its been ability vs the squad around him that has kept him on the outer. Can see the argument that he could be considered best 22 at the moment but I see him and wallis as 22 - 25 ish still so I guess I side with the selectors.
Take your point and agree. He hasn't been treated harshly, but at the same time he hasn't been afforded games to cement his position in the side. If I were him I'd request a trade.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2013, 07:16 PM

I agree with most of your posts mjp, but I can't on this occasion.

It is fine to identify a need for outside run and spread, of which Tutt fits the profile on paper. However, he's been given ample opportunity over the last few weeks and has been very ordinary. Some have praised him, but it's really clutching at straws -- we've seen one or two pieces of play. That's it. Nothing groundbreaking. What we have seen is an abundance of mistakes from fumbling, missed tackles (one arm tackles), being pushed out of a contest with utter ease and missing targets by foot/hand.

When I watched the VFL game a few weeks back before he was brought into the side, he was making the exact same errors. I'm amazed people are confused at his omission, I'll be even more amazed if he plays more than 3 games for the rest of the year and isn't delisted.

boydogs
17-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Take your point and agree. He hasn't been treated harshly, but at the same time he hasn't been afforded games to cement his position in the side. If I were him I'd request a trade.

Dropped after having 9 possessions gives him reason to leave? I'm sure the Mildura Falcons will offer up their 1st round pick.

Jarrad Grant has more to complain about than Dylan Addison.

G-Mo77
17-05-2013, 11:49 PM

Didn't he sign a 2 year deal? Expires after 2014 season. I'm pretty sure it was something like that.

AndrewP6
17-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Didn't he sign a 2 year deal? Expires after 2014 season. I'm pretty sure it was something like that.

Yep, that's right.