View Full Version : End of Season - Trade Targets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

always right
20-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Boom tish :D

Thanks for noticing.:)

Eastdog
20-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Plenty to like about the big fella up forward. He gets to contests that Cordy doesn't, he takes marks that Cordy doesn't, he has a physical presence that Cordy doesn't, he kicks goals that Cordy doesn't, he's a better ruckman than Cordy and there's plenty of upside left in him. Yep...worth persevering with and hopefully it gives Cordy the incentive to work harder to compete for his spot.

This wasn't meant to be an excuse to bag Cordy but Campbell's performances have illustrated perfectly what you require from a big bloke playing as a second ruck and resting forward.

Do you still feel though that we need to go for a key forward or are you liking what you are seeing with Campbell.

always right
20-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Do you still feel though that we need to go for a key forward or are you liking what you are seeing with Campbell.

I think it would be a mistake to go for a big traditional key forward i.e. Gumbleton, White. I like the idea of going after someone like Crameri who is tall, mobile and a left footer. I reckon a forwardline with Campbell in the square and a mix of Grant, Crameri, Stringer and Jones could cause chaos for other sides trying to get suitable match-ups.

jeemak
20-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Plenty to like about the big fella up forward. He gets to contests that Cordy doesn't, he takes marks that Cordy doesn't, he has a physical presence that Cordy doesn't, he kicks goals that Cordy doesn't, he's a better ruckman than Cordy and there's plenty of upside left in him. Yep...worth persevering with and hopefully it gives Cordy the incentive to work harder to compete for his spot.

This wasn't meant to be an excuse to bag Cordy but Campbell's performances have illustrated perfectly what you require from a big bloke playing as a second ruck and resting forward.

Size, strength and an ability to use it?

The Doctor
20-08-2013, 06:06 PM
We don't need to do anything dramatic but I think we can still strengthen the list or our draft positions by trading. If there is an option to pick up another Young or Stevens or getting another 2nd round draft pick I think we need to explore those options.

I didn't articulate myself very well. What I meant is I don't want us to trade away our draft picks. I don't mind looking for an upgrade or getting extra picks by trading away a player that we don't see as part of the long term plan.

I'm happy to bring good players in from other clubs via free agency or the PSD (ie Crameri if we can arrange that).

My view is the top 2 picks to be used on the best elite junior talent. The remaining picks on more of these or use them on some of the decent young experienced players in the state leagues, ie Ben Brown, Mitch Thorp, Nathan Gordon.

I really want Ben Brown!

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I really want Ben Brown!

Really? For what pick?

The Doctor
20-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Do you still want Cameron Wood?:D

I'm pretty much on the same page as you are. I don't share the urge to go out and pay overs to get a key forward into the club. Jones is 18 months younger than Grant yet seems at times to have higher expectations put on him. I'd love to see him in a forward line where he doesn't get the best defender week in week out. With Grant's resurgence, Campbell's development and a preseason under Stringer's belt, our forward line could create some headaches next year.

haha touche

We wouldn't have to trade for him in any case. Anyway I'm keener on Ben Brown from Werribee FWIW.

SlimPickens
20-08-2013, 06:39 PM
I've heard Kelly has elite endurance, is quick and has very good footskills.
Comparable to someone like Andrew Gaff, who does all his work on the outside but just gets away from his opponents with work rate

Bottom 9% in sprint testing at draft combine last year, has hired a sprint coach...he ain't quick. He does however run all day, with possible interchange caps coming in this may appeal to clubs.

Remi Moses
20-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Big on Sheed personally.
If we do get pick 5 onwards I wouldn't be disappointed.

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Bottom 9% in sprint testing at draft combine last year, has hired a sprint coach...he ain't quick. He does however run all day, with possible interchange caps coming in this may appeal to clubs.

He was in the Top Percentile for repeat sprints, he just doesn't have the explosive first few metres.
Repeat efforts is the bread and butter for afl football

GVGjr
20-08-2013, 07:59 PM
I didn't articulate myself very well. What I meant is I don't want us to trade away our draft picks. I don't mind looking for an upgrade or getting extra picks by trading away a player that we don't see as part of the long term plan.

I'm happy to bring good players in from other clubs via free agency or the PSD (ie Crameri if we can arrange that).

My view is the top 2 picks to be used on the best elite junior talent. The remaining picks on more of these or use them on some of the decent young experienced players in the state leagues, ie Ben Brown, Mitch Thorp, Nathan Gordon.

I really want Ben Brown!

I think we are on the same path.

GVGjr
20-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Really? For what pick?

I think The Doctor would be keen with adding someone like a Ben Brown with a 3rd or 4th round selection but depending on who we drafted beforehand.

soupman
20-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Who is Ben Brown?

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Missed draft a few years back. Big boy, basketball background and has some obvious flaws in second efforts and kicking style. Plays for Werribee. As a post third rounder wouldn't mind, but there's better in this draft imo that should be available at that pick (third rd).

Eastdog
20-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Who is Ben Brown?

Here is a story I found on him. He is a Werribee player.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/big-man-ben-brown-making-giant-strides-at-werribee/story-fngnvog3-1226664940049

Dry Rot
20-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Here is a story I found on him. He is a Werribee player.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/big-man-ben-brown-making-giant-strides-at-werribee/story-fngnvog3-1226664940049

Great hair. Will make Dahl envious.

The Doctor
20-08-2013, 10:55 PM
As a post third rounder wouldn't mind, but there's better in this draft imo that should be available at that pick (third rd).

I doubt it!

westdog54
20-08-2013, 11:39 PM
haha touche

We wouldn't have to trade for him in any case. Anyway I'm keener on Ben Brown from Werribee FWIW.

I'm glad we can laugh about it.

Wouldn't mind Ben Brown at all if your reports are correct.

LostDoggy
21-08-2013, 12:53 AM
I watched that Ben Brown in a foxtel cup match earlier this year and he looked pretty good for a big fella, moved really well. From Tassie isn't he? Could be worth a rookie spot

Go_Dogs
21-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Sounds a bit like Toumpas. Running at one pace all day as an outside midfielder makes it tough at AFL level if you don't have absolutely elite endurance. Kelly isn't high on my list.

I always thought Toumpas was a fairly good mover seeing him prior to him being drafted running around the SANFL - I wonder if his hip surgeries have slowed him down a bit this year? Obviously didn't test at the DC last year.

I've made my thoughts on Kelly pretty clear in the State Leagues form that I have some concerns about him, with contested ball, holding tackles and enough speed to play a purely outside role at AFL level. I think we can do better.

Really like the thrust of Doc and GVGjr's posts that we could look to add some more senior/experienced players from the State Leagues with our later picks too.

At the end of the day, if we can land a player like Crameri I'm happy to go down that path, but I'm quite comfortable sticking to the draft - particularly with our early selections and really trying to bring some high end, elite players to the club.

Doc26
22-08-2013, 11:18 PM
At the end of the day, if we can land a player like Crameri I'm happy to go down that path, but I'm quite comfortable sticking to the draft - particularly with our early selections and really trying to bring some high end, elite players to the club.

Noticed that Essendon FC have just tweeted:

Big news tomorrow with a star Bomber signing a new contract! Stay tuned to EFC.com.au

Will be interesting to read who it is.

Throughandthrough
22-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Hird?

Throughandthrough
22-08-2013, 11:33 PM
I watched that Ben Brown in a foxtel cup match earlier this year and he looked pretty good for a big fella, moved really well. From Tassie isn't he? Could be worth a rookie spot

Yeah he was no fire that match.

F'scary
22-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Noticed that Essendon FC have just tweeted:

Will be interesting to read who it is.

Is "star" some kind of peptide?

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Is "star" some kind of peptide?

Built up as if it will be Bellchambers.

Mofra
23-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Built up as if it will be Bellchambers.
Ironic - Bellchambers has been dropped for this weekend.

Really wary of taking Essendon players until ASADA have completed a final report. Things look really ugly.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Really wary of taking Essendon players until ASADA have completed a final report. Things look really ugly.

I'd be happy to put Crameri on the bench for a year if we could get him in the preseason draft.

More reluctant to give up a second rounder than I was to hedge against the uncertainty surrounding all this.

KT31
23-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Surely a smart move by the AFL would be to let any Essendon player who want's out, out and give the recruiting club some security if the player ended up banned.
Possibly a relevant draft pick in the next draft.
Surely a club signing a player would have security written into the contract.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 12:38 PM
It was Melksham that re-signed, oh boy, so shattered we missed out on a star :rolleyes:

Greystache
23-08-2013, 12:40 PM
It was Melksham that re-signed, oh boy, so shattered we missed out on a star :rolleyes:

Wow, Jake Melksham!

I was going to write an synopsis of his strenghts and weaknesses, but seriously he's just shit. A faux hard man in the Campbell Brown/Brad Scott mould.

I want to see Clay Smith lay him out.

Maddog37
23-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Wow, Jake Melksham!

I was going to write an synopsis of his strenghts and weaknesses, but seriously he's just shit. A faux hard man in the Campbell Brown/Brad Scott mould.

Careful though, he has done some boxing In the past!!!!:rolleyes:

Remi Moses
23-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Surely a smart move by the AFL would be to let any Essendon player who want's out, out and give the recruiting club some security if the player ended up banned.
Possibly a relevant draft pick in the next draft.
Surely a club signing a player would have security written into the contract.

You'd think at this stage no player would be banned.
Would have incurred an infraction notice by now, and I think Essendon's shoddy bookkeeping will save their players. There is no documented evidence which player took what.
We'll see I guess

Mofra
23-08-2013, 05:07 PM
You'd think at this stage no player would be banned.
Would have incurred an infraction notice by now, and I think Essendon's shoddy bookkeeping will save their players. There is no documented evidence which player took what.
We'll see I guess
No infraction notices will be issued until ASADA finalise their report - that could be months away.

immortalmike
23-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Wow, Jake Melksham!

That's one of the things I love about Clay, he doesn't go around hitting blokes in order to act like he's tough. He just goes so hard at the ball that the other player ends up hurt and coming off second best.

Throughandthrough
23-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Just read on the internets that Nahas wants out from Richmond and the dogs are keen.

G-Mo77
23-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Just read on the internets that Nahas wants out from Richmond and the dogs are keen.

Didn't we have interest last time he was out of contract?

Remi Moses
23-08-2013, 08:26 PM
No thanks to Nahas.
He's a forward pocket, which I think is going the way of the dodo bird.
Teams play their mids forward

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Wouldn't think we need a player like Nahas given we've got Dahl, Lachie and Hrovat.

ratsmac
23-08-2013, 08:46 PM
No to Nahas because he is shit.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 08:48 PM
No. Was dropped back to Coburg during the season to work on his defensive game, came back in, went back out and has since rubber banded. More of what we have ( but more promising) already.

Remi Moses
23-08-2013, 08:56 PM
No to Nahas because he is shit.

Couldn't have put it better myself

Happy Days
23-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Wow, Jake Melksham!

But he's had a couple of amateur fights, bro.

I'd seriously pay money to watch a Jersey Shore style show of Melksham, Belchambers, Moloney, Josh Hunt, etc., all down at a club, bro-ing out, trying to get girls and getting in punch ons. The faux hard man is such a fascinating personality outside a footy field.

Greystache
23-08-2013, 10:24 PM
But he's had a couple of amateur fights, bro.

I'd seriously pay money to watch a Jersey Shore style show of Melksham, Belchambers, Moloney, Josh Hunt, etc., all down at a club, bro-ing out, trying to get girls and getting in punch ons. The faux hard man is such a fascinating personality outside a footy field.

Yep he basically just needs a minature set of boxing gloves hanging from his car's rear view mirror to complete that "I'm fully hard come at me" cliche.

boydogs
23-08-2013, 10:36 PM
No thanks to Nahas.
He's a forward pocket, which I think is going the way of the dodo bird.
Teams play their mids forward

Disagree. I've noticed both on here and at the club that whenever someone shows something up forward they must be tried in the midfield or defence, it drives me nuts.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Disagree. I've noticed both on here and at the club that whenever someone shows something up forward they must be tried in the midfield or defence, it drives me nuts.

Funny you mention that. I've been trying to find out why Stringer is going to move into the midfield in the future since day one. WTF for?? Mf's are a dime a dozen, Smart forwards aren't.

The Doctor
23-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Why would we be keen on Nahas? We have other priorities surely.

I'd rather they recruit me!

Remi Moses
23-08-2013, 11:39 PM

Every team ( decent ones) don't have a small crumbing forward .
Sydney and Geelong have midfielders who play forward, and numerous players play both.

bulldogtragic
24-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Why would we be keen on Nahas? We have other priorities surely.

I'd rather they recruit me!
Footscray Bulldogs are keen... :)

boydogs
24-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Sydney and Geelong have midfielders who play forward, and numerous players play both.

Ben McGlynn? Mathew Stokes? Cyril Rioli? Lindsay Thomas? Luke Dahlhaus? Hayden Ballantyne? Jake Neade? Jeff Garlett? Jarryd Blair?

Remi Moses
24-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Yes and most of those players play through the midfield.
Every team has over ten players go through the middle .
Players play up the field,and the traditional forward pocket is disappearing quickly.

1eyedog
24-08-2013, 10:24 AM

McGlynn and Stokes predominantly play forward. As do most others on GG's list. I can't remember seeing Garlett or Thomas in the middle either, maybe once or twice but that's it. Blair and Rioli spend a bit of time there. Milne would be another that rarely goes into the middle and then there's Betts who struggles away from goal.

The Doctor
24-08-2013, 11:04 AM
McGlynn and Stokes predominantly play forward. As do most others on GG's list. I can't remember seeing Garlett or Thomas in the middle either, maybe once or twice but that's it. Blair and Rioli spend a bit of time there. Milne would be another that rarely goes into the middle and then there's Betts who struggles away from goal.

Fair enough but is Nahas what we really need?

Remi Moses
24-08-2013, 01:51 PM

Nahas never plays through the middle and that's a reason he doesn't play .
No to 23rd players

Mofra
24-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Ben McGlynn? Mathew Stokes? Cyril Rioli? Lindsay Thomas? Luke Dahlhaus? Hayden Ballantyne? Jake Neade? Jeff Garlett? Jarryd Blair?
Ballantyne is a genuine small forward, ditto Thomas, but all of the others have had varying degrees of midfield time.

B-Mac is on record as saying he prefers versatile types who can play a couple of roles in the side, hence Dahl often playing high enough forward to be a pseudo midfielder anyway.

Truth be told I don't know why we are linked with Nahas - Hunter is super-agile and is a smart player, he will be best 22 sooner rather than later. I'd expect him to play 10+ games next year.

Topdog
24-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Stokes has played a heap of midfield this year.

boydogs
24-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Ballantyne is a genuine small forward, ditto Thomas, but all of the others have had varying degrees of midfield time.

B-Mac is on record as saying he prefers versatile types who can play a couple of roles in the side, hence Dahl often playing high enough forward to be a pseudo midfielder anyway.

All other things being equal, of course he does. But footy isn't cricket - you don't get the same advantage by having someone who can play multiple roles, as they can only play one of them at any given time. I would be more worried about whether they are any good, not whether they can be average in another part of the ground as well. Exhibit A: Andrejs Everitt

Truth be told I don't know why we are linked with Nahas - Hunter is super-agile and is a smart player, he will be best 22 sooner rather than later. I'd expect him to play 10+ games next year.

We're looking at a forward line of Campbell, Jones, Grant, Stringer and Crameri - that's not the mosquito fleet of 5 years ago. Is Hunter the type who can read the ball off the pack then breakaway and snap around the corner? Dahlhaus can, but Gia is on the way out and Higgins isn't explosive enough. I think we need to add some pace to our forward line, Nahas may not be the answer but I think he would do well in our side with the amount of ball directed to tall marking players.

Remi Moses
24-08-2013, 03:40 PM
I don't get where your coming from ?
Players play everywhere in this era. Nahas has been tried and failed at Richmond, and under the feet of Riewoldt . Just watching Cyril on the half back flank!

Mofra
24-08-2013, 05:03 PM
All other things being equal, of course he does. But footy isn't cricket - you don't get the same advantage by having someone who can play multiple roles, as they can only play one of them at any given time.
So team flexibility isn't an advantage? The ability to add an extra midfield rotation doesn't help the team? B-Mac (and probably every coach in the land) would disagree with you.

I would be more worried about whether they are any good, not whether they can be average in another part of the ground as well. Exhibit A: Andrejs Everitt
Currently best 22 for the reigning premiers, who can play lock-down or re-bounder, tall or medium. An excample that certainly doesn;t help your argument

We're looking at a forward line of Campbell, Jones, Grant, Stringer and Crameri - that's not the mosquito fleet of 5 years ago. Is Hunter the type who can read the ball off the pack then breakaway and snap around the corner? Dahlhaus can, but Gia is on the way out and Higgins isn't explosive enough. I think we need to add some pace to our forward line, Nahas may not be the answer but I think he would do well in our side with the amount of ball directed to tall marking players.
Disagree with your team list - Campbell is no certainty as a forward and many believe he is better suited to the no 1 ruck role (myself included). Stringer will run through the middle at times based on everything B-Mac's said, so again he's versatile.
Grant plays as a virtual small forward at times and yes I do believe he is a quick player, and Crameri is a massive "if" at this stage but is also very quick. We do tend to rest a midfielder/running type forward as well.

You can't quote the need for pace and use Gia's retirement as an example - his timetrials are measured on a sundial. Hunter certainly is a smart player, and if I had to choose between him and Nahas I'd take Hunter 100%.

boydogs
24-08-2013, 07:42 PM
So team flexibility isn't an advantage? The ability to add an extra midfield rotation doesn't help the team? B-Mac (and probably every coach in the land) would disagree with you.

I said it was an advantage.

Currently best 22 for the reigning premiers, who can play lock-down or re-bounder, tall or medium. An excample that certainly doesn;t help your argument

Everitt was a disappointment, hence why he was traded. Sydney would probably be happy with the outcome of that trade but the point remains that rating someone in the draft or a trade based on their flexibility first and foremost is misguided.

Disagree with your team list - Campbell is no certainty as a forward and many believe he is better suited to the no 1 ruck role (myself included). Stringer will run through the middle at times based on everything B-Mac's said, so again he's versatile.
Grant plays as a virtual small forward at times and yes I do believe he is a quick player, and Crameri is a massive "if" at this stage but is also very quick. We do tend to rest a midfielder/running type forward as well.

You can't quote the need for pace and use Gia's retirement as an example - his timetrials are measured on a sundial. Hunter certainly is a smart player, and if I had to choose between him and Nahas I'd take Hunter 100%.

I'm not saying Gia creates the hole, I'm saying he doesn't fill it, so we agree on that.

If we don't end up with 4-5 players 190cm+ in the forwardline then we are probably OK with Dahlhaus, but if we do we need Hunter or someone else lower to the ground in there with them.

You may remember earlier in the year posters suggesting we had found a home for Clay Smith up forward, I'm open to that but I'm convinced we need someone there to fill that role.

LostDoggy
24-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Nahas will be a handy addition to the Footscray vfl side next year

Mofra
25-08-2013, 12:24 AM
You may remember earlier in the year posters suggesting we had found a home for Clay Smith up forward, I'm open to that but I'm convinced we need someone there to fill that role.
In Smith's absence we have Addison and at times Cross there - seems we favor a contested ball animal up forward, and we do seem to kick plenty of goals from contests. The consideration of Crameri, development of Stringer - there's a case for calling one of our forward six the "contested" forward. I'm not sure that leg-speed is a prerequisite for this role either.

If we want to add a small forward, then fine - but I don't want us to trade for a mediocre one when we don't have an absolute pressing need, as small forwards can often be found cheap at the end of the draft - Betts was a PSD pick, Dahl was a rookie, Milne was a rookie, Davey was a rookie, McGlynn was a rookie at the Hawks then part of a package deal to the Swans.

jeemak
25-08-2013, 01:11 AM
I don't see a need for Nahas with Dahlhaus and Hunter working their way into careers that will be balanced between midfield duties and forward duties. Hrovat is going to have to get games somewhere too.

We also have Dickson being quite quick and very smart with the loose ball. Added to him, we have Grant with an ability to play small.

As for Higgins, I can't wait to see him with fitness operating in a functioning and effective forward line. I think we often forget that Higgins has for a few years since Johnson retired been seen as either our most dangerous forward or our second most dangerous forward. With Grant, Jones, Hunter, Dahlhaus, Crameri (potentially), Hrovat and Dickson running around in our forward line or through the middle, Higgins is going to be one of a number of problems the opposition have to deal with when facing a rounded forward line.

Stringer will be a utility, midfielder and forward. Once his fitness improves and he can spend more time in the middle of the ground, I don't think there'll be too many concerns about his talent being to generalised by being a jack of all trades. Just wait for it, he's going to be an accumulating game changing monster in the middle of the ground. The fact he'll be able to provide a couple of goals up forward when trying to break a tag will be a bonus.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2013, 01:37 AM
It's a good point re: Higgins.

His best years were when he was surrounded by extremely talented players around him (ie. Johnson, Aker, Murphy, Gia in 2009) and prior to that you could include Robbins around 06/07 when he first played.

Higgins struggles to cope with tags or quality defensive pressure as a number one or two target, but he gives really good value as that 4th-6th option. His '09 finals series was quite good for reasons similar to these. He was also very good in the 08 PF v Geelong, when Johnson/Aker/Gia/Hahn etc. would command most of the attention.

The biggest question is whether Higgins can be fit enough for long enough. He's (almost) as bad as Williams in that regard.

At least we've been able to develop a few forwards. This way, we aren't so reliant on Higgins returning and playing a significant role. If he stays fit, great. If not, we're building a good side without him.

boydogs
25-08-2013, 01:37 AM
In Smith's absence we have Addison and at times Cross there - seems we favor a contested ball animal up forward, and we do seem to kick plenty of goals from contests. The consideration of Crameri, development of Stringer - there's a case for calling one of our forward six the "contested" forward. I'm not sure that leg-speed is a prerequisite for this role either.

The small forward has always been a defensive chasing and tackling asset, battling at ground level to lock the ball in. Speed helps with this.

If we want to add a small forward, then fine - but I don't want us to trade for a mediocre one when we don't have an absolute pressing need, as small forwards can often be found cheap at the end of the draft - Betts was a PSD pick, Dahl was a rookie, Milne was a rookie, Davey was a rookie, McGlynn was a rookie at the Hawks then part of a package deal to the Swans.

That's fine, I just get frustrated seeing players discounted solely because they are only good in one position, or when it is suggested players who show something in one position should be played somewhere else, like this:

Stringer will be a utility, midfielder and forward. Once his fitness improves and he can spend more time in the middle of the ground, I don't think there'll be too many concerns about his talent being to generalised by being a jack of all trades. Just wait for it, he's going to be an accumulating game changing monster in the middle of the ground. The fact he'll be able to provide a couple of goals up forward when trying to break a tag will be a bonus.

Posters have been saying the exact same thing about Higgins since he came to the club.

jeemak
25-08-2013, 01:49 AM
Posters have been saying the exact same thing about Higgins since he came to the club.

I'm a little confused.

Higgins was a revelation as a first year player, jumping for marks and creating opportunities for himself and others prior to doing his elbow. Since then he's had one of the most horrible runs with injuriy and illness of any player to play for us. Even throughout that time, he's still been considered one of our most dangerous forward play makers by opposition clubs.

Stringer came to us severely underdone, after a junior career where he was considered talented enough to be the best one or two players in his draft year on the back of midfield and forward dominance, but hampered by a shocking injury. It's up to the club and Stringer himself to build his fitness (over three or four preseasons) and be in a position to be the utility we desperately need.

boydogs
25-08-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm a little confused.

What I'm saying is I could have put Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson, Daniel Giansiracusa, Luke Dahlhaus or Shaun Higgins' names in that post and it would have been identical to what I have read on here 100 times before. Every small or medium forward that comes to the club is automatically spoken about as the next great midfielder that just isn't fit enough yet.

Some players are best up forward, we shouldn't see that as a lesser contribution to playing in the middle. I keep reading that Stringer needs to take the next step and play in the midfield like as if playing up forward is a waste of his ability.

Maybe it's the Gary Ablett Jr. effect.

Remi Moses
25-08-2013, 03:11 AM
All players play mid or high half forward these days .
Unless you're prepared to work up and down, you won't get a game .
I'd say that's the knock on Nahas ( yes he has pace) but he doesn't work hard enough.
That's why he's in and out of their line up.

Mofra
25-08-2013, 11:58 AM
That's fine, I just get frustrated seeing players discounted solely because they are only good in one position, or when it is suggested players who show something in one position should be played somewhere else
"only good in one position" - that's the rub. Nahas is, at best, "adequate" in one position and is a downgrade on at least three players we already have on the list.

Even Dickson plays high forward at times despite being possibly most limited player (position wise) on our list.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Nahas is a step backwards for this list, whatever position he plays.

Topdog
25-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I'd rather have a list with 1 player short than a list with Nahas in it.

comrade
25-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Kristian Jaksch is debuting for GWS today. We've been linked to him so might be worth seeing how he goes.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Kristian Jaksch is debuting for GWS today. We've been linked to him so might be worth seeing how he goes.

Didn't see enough ball to really make an impact. Richmond just did what they liked today. Conca was excellent. Would love to make a play for him but bet he ends up at Freo who have the salary cap to buy him home. He'd be a great fit in their list. If we can get Crameri and Jaksch this trade period (forward for now and a forward for later) I'll do cartwheels. Happy to do a direct swop of Wood or Cross if either were up for it (and maybe some change) for Jaksch which would help both clubs. Some of the above posts refer to Higgins being fit and in the forward line. If we ever get more than 8 games in a season out of him I will be absolutely shocked. He (sadly) shouldn't be factored into a stable future forward 6 in my opinion.

1eyedog
26-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Fair enough but is Nahas what we really need?
Absolutely not.

Nahas never plays through the middle and that's a reason he doesn't play .
No to 23rd players
Agreed for this reason.

Stokes has played a heap of midfield this year.
Fair enough. I've watched a bit of Geelong this year and hadn't noticed. They've just got so many options both new and old to go through there.

jeemak
26-08-2013, 01:15 AM
What I'm saying is I could have put Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson, Daniel Giansiracusa, Luke Dahlhaus or Shaun Higgins' names in that post and it would have been identical to what I have read on here 100 times before. Every small or medium forward that comes to the club is automatically spoken about as the next great midfielder that just isn't fit enough yet.

Some players are best up forward, we shouldn't see that as a lesser contribution to playing in the middle. I keep reading that Stringer needs to take the next step and play in the midfield like as if playing up forward is a waste of his ability.

Maybe it's the Gary Ablett Jr. effect.

Brad Johnson and Daniel Giansiracusa played as forwards because they needed to for the team's sake. You could potentially put Higgins in that area too. Mitch Hahn was very limited as a footballer compared to these guys, and his only go was playing forward.

Each of these players were drafted as midfielders. Johnson could have been one of the best midfielders to play the game if he didn't have to fill a need and become the best medium sized forward our club has ever seen (playing as a key forward). Gia has always been the best user of the ball in traffic as long as he's been on the list, it was only because he was such a smart footballer that he was able to fill a role as a forward because the club needed him to. Higgins came into a side that needed a utility, but hasn't had continuity.

Dickson is a forward, and will always only be a forward and that's fine. The modern game doesn't allow teams to carry more than one or two players as specialist small or medium forwards which means other players have to have diverse skills. Dahlhaus (who I though played and excellent game today) can be both.

The reason why Stringer will be used as a utility forward and midfielder is because he's going to be better than most players in the league at doing both. He's going to have games as a forward when a good defender keeps him quiet, and we'll be lucky enough to put him up the ground so he can impact that game, or vice versa.

Mofra
26-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Dickson is a forward, and will always only be a forward and that's fine. The modern game doesn't allow teams to carry more than one or two players as specialist small or medium forwards which means other players have to have diverse skills. Dahlhaus (who I though played and excellent game today) can be both.

The reason why Stringer will be used as a utility forward and midfielder is because he's going to be better than most players in the league at doing both. He's going to have games as a forward when a good defender keeps him quiet, and we'll be lucky enough to put him up the ground so he can impact that game, or vice versa.
Agree with your post, however Dickson has been pushing further up the ground this year as well as playign close to goal - whether it's a ploy to isolate Campbell one out at times due to his size advantage or due to our need for a get out option around the HF line when the opposition have had time to set upo their zone, I can't be sure.

boydogs
26-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Johnson could have been one of the best midfielders to play the game if he didn't have to fill a need and become the best medium sized forward our club has ever seen (playing as a key forward).

You have a low opinion of forwards, don't you. You talk as if our lack of a key forward stopped Brad Johnson from reaching his true potential as an elite midfielder.

The way I see it, our need created an opportunity for Johnno to reach his true potential as a forward that he may never have had given his height.

LostDoggy
03-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Shane Kersten has signed a one year deal with the Cats

The Bulldogs Bite
03-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Shane Kersten has signed a one year deal with the Cats

Interesting it's just the one year, but one would assume he will play plenty of games next year given Pods has been shown the door.

Still, if he plays well, clubs will be after him.