PDA

View Full Version : Round 8 - Other Matches

Eastdog
16-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Round 8 Fixture

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fixtures

Remi Moses
17-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Think West Coast on what I saw last week will beat Norf.
Good inclusions for West Coast as well.

Greystache
17-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm expecting Norf to get belted, this is the type of game where their system falls apart. If they can win it will go some way to proving they've actually improved.

bornadog
17-05-2013, 10:50 PM
North going ok for the first half, they are looking much better than West Coast at this stage.

bulldogsman
17-05-2013, 11:22 PM
North going ok for the first half, they are looking much better than West Coast at this stage.

Very lucky West Coast are kicking poorly for goal. WC still in front though.
Wish they did that against us.

Eastdog
18-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Nic Nat wins it after the siren for West Coast and I get my that tip right. North very unlucky as I believe that was the only time West Coast hit the front in the match.

bornadog
18-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Nic Nat wins it after the siren for West Coast and I get my that tip right. North very unlucky as I believe that was the only time West Coast hit the front in the match.

You mean the cheats won.

Shuey, cheats again with a fake in the back, but misses the goal with a ad kick and North mark. North kick the ball long outside the 50 close to the boundary line and the next cheat comes along ie Sellwood, and throws his head back and the umpire is fooled into giving a free kick for a high tackle. Reply shows no free kick. Sellwood kicks back into the 50, and Nic Nat takes a great mark and goals after the siren.

North were totally robbed.

Doc26
18-05-2013, 12:31 AM
You mean the cheats won.

Shuey, cheats again with a fake in the back, but misses the goal with a ad kick and North mark. North kick the ball long outside the 50 close to the boundary line and the next cheat comes along ie Sellwood, and throws his head back and the umpire is fooled into giving a free kick for a high tackle. Reply shows no free kick. Sellwood kicks back into the 50, and Nic Nat takes a great mark and goals after the siren.

The constant milking of frees by the likes of Shuey, Selwood, Hams (out tonight) etc around a contest is poor form. Hate watching it and although technically high contact for mine is outside the spirit of fair play.

westdog54
18-05-2013, 12:31 AM
You mean the cheats won.

We must have seen different replays. Arm was definitely over the shoulder on the reverse angle.

As for the Shuey one, it was a clumsy tackle, simple as that. Tackling is more than grabbing a hold of your opponent, its about getting him to ground efficiently. I don't remember Libba Snr giving away too many in the back frees because his technique was exemplary.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 12:39 AM
High contact is high contact. They were 15 PTs up against a side who were beat up , on a 6 day break from the biggest road trip.The first goal North kicked ( Harvey ) was a free against him. Brad Scott will have his weekly whinge, it's a given

bornadog
18-05-2013, 12:39 AM
We must have seen different replays. Arm was definitely over the shoulder on the reverse angle.

As for the Shuey one, it was a clumsy tackle, simple as that. Tackling is more than grabbing a hold of your opponent, its about getting him to ground efficiently. I don't remember Libba Snr giving away too many in the back frees because his technique was exemplary.

Can't agree with your assessment, particularly the Sellwood one.

I bet the coach is not going to hold back on this one.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 12:47 AM

Exactly, any high contact now is a free.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Can't agree with your assessment, particularly the Sellwood one.

I bet the coach is not going to hold back on this one.

There isn't a rule saying you can't drop your centre of gravity.
There is a rule that high contact is a free.

AndrewP6
18-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Brad Scott says "I'm not going to whinge about the umpires", and then proceeds to whinge about the umpires.

G-Mo77
18-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I don't care it was Norf. I'm happier it was a dodgy free that gave WC the chance to put them away.

Doc26
18-05-2013, 01:09 AM
What is frustrating with the high contact rule as is often applied in favour of the likes of Shuey, Selwood, Hams, Swallow etc is that little if no discretion would appear available to the umpire based on a player's probable motivation. This would seem inconsistent with the 'push in the back' rule where umpire discretion is often applied where the umpire has deemed the player to have 'taken a dive'. As others have indicated, yes it is technically correct but I still don't like the look of it.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Norf are only the second team ever to lose 3 of their first 8 games by less than a goal.
The other was Fitzroy in 1978.

bornadog
18-05-2013, 02:34 PM
There isn't a rule saying you can't drop your centre of gravity.
There is a rule that high contact is a free.

There was no high contact.

I just re-watched the Shuey free as well, and that was not a free.

Watch here (http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-05-18/wc-v-nm-watch-the-last-two-minutes)

Don't get me wrong, I hate Norf and hate West Coast even more, but the way they are getting their free kicks is cheating the system.

Mantis
18-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Just saw that Brisbane beat Essendon... Wow!!

Greystache
18-05-2013, 06:12 PM

2 in a row after a great start, sounds a lot like 2012 for them

GVGjr
18-05-2013, 06:12 PM

I heard the lead changed a few times in the last quarter as well.

Greystache
18-05-2013, 06:15 PM
I heard the lead changed a few times in the last quarter as well.

All game pretty much, 13 lead changes up until halfway through the 3rd quarter.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2013, 06:35 PM
2 in a row after a great start, sounds a lot like 2012 for them
Don't get me excited :)

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 09:27 PM
There was no high contact.

I just re-watched the Shuey free as well, and that was not a free.

Watch here (http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-05-18/wc-v-nm-watch-the-last-two-minutes)

Don't get me wrong, I hate Norf and hate West Coast even more, but the way they are getting their free kicks is cheating the system.

How is it cheating? No rule says you can't lower your centre of gravity.
Shuey was high, regardless whether he rolled his shoulders or dropped his knees.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Brisbane were terrific. They outworked Essendon all day.
Just an observation I think the umps have taken on a belief that this hands in the back law is a farce!
There were many today not given in particular J Brown.
Mind you I like the officiating like it was today .
Great to see the Bombres get rolled

bornadog
18-05-2013, 09:33 PM
How is it cheating? No rule says you can't lower your centre of gravity.
Shuey was high, regardless whether he rolled his shoulders or dropped his knees.

Shuey was paid a free for in the back. If you watch the replay he slid down and laid on his stomach he was not pushed

Sedat
18-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Big win by the filth. Smashed Geelong in 3 of the 4 quarters. Cats still prone to relying on burst footy to win their matches this season.

Also fair effort by Freo to come back from 27 points down halfway through the last qtr to share the points with Sydney.

Very interesting weekend thus far. Some brave performances by clubs under the pump this week (with one notable exception of course).

Oh, and good to see Spangher back in action :D

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Geelong ran out of petrol tickets. The natives were getting restless with Buckley.
How good is Sam Dwyer going? Why on earth with Johnson kicking for goal with 20 secs left, there wasn't a player there to push it through?

bulldogtragic
19-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Great match saving mark by Reid in Sydney.

Remi Moses
20-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Watched a bit of Dees Tiger game. Richmond's kicking resembles ours.
Just not sold on them defensively . You'd close your eyes when the ball is in Rance's hands.
Dees showed more spirit this week, and it will be interesting if they do that again.