PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R8 Gold Coast Suns V Western Bulldogs

Pages : 1 [2]

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Gold Coasts kids are maturing at a rapid rate. No surprise they've gone past us to be honest .
They've been given the keys to the loot.
Their bigs who looked average are improving.

bornadog
18-05-2013, 09:07 PM
We have not improved over last year which is even more dissappointing

Murphy'sLore
18-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I've poured a great big glass of wine and I am not going to look at Facebook.

GVGjr
18-05-2013, 09:26 PM
I've poured a great big glass of wine and I am not going to look at Facebook.

It might be wise to stay off Twitter as well.

LostDog
18-05-2013, 10:36 PM
A group has already been created calling for McCartneys head,

Greystache
18-05-2013, 10:37 PM
It might be wise to stay off Twitter as well.

Yep, chock full of heroes with no accountability.

AndrewP6
18-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm going OS next Sunday for 3 weeks. Normally I'd be annoyed at missing some footy, but I'm kind of relieved.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Stringer really struggled to impact the play in the air which is concerning.

He was 2 on 1 most of the time, due to a lack of genuine options up forward. 3 goals in his 4th (?) game and you're being critical, you're a tough marker.

hujsh
19-05-2013, 03:54 AM
He was 2 on 1 most of the time, due to a lack of genuine options up forward. 3 goals in his 4th (?) game and you're being critical, you're a tough marker.

The opponents he had also looked stronger than he did. Even though he's labeled a man child he doesn't have the same definition and strength a more mature player would have.

Remi Moses
19-05-2013, 04:04 AM
A group has already been created calling for McCartneys head,

Worst aspect of Social media is that it brings out the peanuts that inhabit our planet.

Mantis
19-05-2013, 07:39 AM

Tough marker or not he is correct... And judging a game by goal output is very flawed considering the manner in which goals are scored.

All being said Stringer looks a good long term prospect.. Which should be the case considering the depth of talent that draft looks like producing.

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 09:30 AM
The opponents he had also looked stronger than he did. Even though he's labeled a man child he doesn't have the same definition and strength a more mature player would have.

He has played 4 games.....

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 09:45 AM
watching the game from afar on the tv it was hard to gauge whether he was being dragged up the ground or it was a directive. He blew up in the third and I think its the reason he missed that set shot. This time next year he'll be a 15-20 % better player due to another pre season and match fitness from further games. That's scary for his opponents :-)

hujsh
19-05-2013, 03:20 PM
He has played 4 games.....

Yes I am aware. It wasn't a criticism. Just pointing this out that although he has size he will need time (like his opponents have had) before he is really able to compete in the wrestling with key backs (especially 2 on 1).

jeemak
19-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Tough marker or not he is correct... And judging a game by goal output is very flawed considering the manner in which goals are scored.

All being said Stringer looks a good long term prospect.. Which should be the case considering the depth of talent that draft looks like producing.

Stringer as I've said before, needs to put on a good 4-5kg in muscle and drop a good 4-5kg in body fat. As soon as he does that he'll be able to compete with defenders that are more physically advanced than he is.

He looks to be an excellent prospect, but I did see some signs that he has a long way to go to become a consistent and rounded contributor.

Just like the vast majority of kids his age, he'll take some time but the pay off will eventually come.

Greystache
19-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Stringer as I've said before, needs to put on a good 4-5kg in muscle and drop a good 4-5kg in body fat. As soon as he does that he'll be able to compete with defenders that are more physically advanced than he is.

He looks to be an excellent prospect, but I did see some signs that he has a long way to go to become a consistent and rounded contributor.

Just like the vast majority of kids his age, he'll take some time but the pay off will eventually come.

It's funny I was discussing Stringers game with a mate today, basically I thought it was similar to the way Gia has played in recent times. He struggled if he didn't win the initial contest, didn't apply great defensive pressure, and lost some important contests, but still managed to contribute on the scoreboard with his smarts despite some physical limitations. That's pretty impressive from a kid in his 4th game, and with time and effort he should be able to overcome those limitations so look out.

And no I didn't put him in my votes for those reasons I stated.

jeemak
19-05-2013, 07:54 PM
It's funny I was discussing Stringers game with a mate today, basically I thought it was similar to the way Gia has played in recent times. He struggled if he didn't win the initial contest, didn't apply great defensive pressure, and lost some important contests, but still managed to contribute on the scoreboard with his smarts despite some physical limitations. That's pretty impressive from a kid in his 4th game, and with time and effort he should be able to overcome those limitations so look out.

Not a bad comparison, though in Stringer's defence (not suggesting you were having a crack at him) he's come from a long way back to be managed across the preseason, and it will be interesting to see if Stringer after a few preseasons can contribute holistically.

I've always thought with Gia he would have been more suited to a running game like Cross played throughout his career, but because he's so clever and we've had such ordinary forwards during his time he's been played there his entire career.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 07:55 PM

He doesn't try and wrestle too much though, only when the ball is kicked on his head and he has no option.

The best prospect.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=RT&st=GO
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=RA&st=GO
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=RT&st=M5
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=RA&st=M5

Fair assessment. If we were Geelong, he wouldn't be getting a game yet. He only just recovered from his leg to play 3 VFL games to finish the year last season, he has a lot of work to do to get back to his best and build his fitness to AFL level.

Mantis
19-05-2013, 09:12 PM
The best prospect.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=RT&st=GO
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=RA&st=GO
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=RT&st=M5
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=RA&st=M5

One would hope that he would be high up in those categories seeing as though he is playing as a deep forward.... but he is far from the best prospect in those lists nor is using only those stats the best way to determine that he is... Give me O'Meara everyday of the week.. and twice on Sunday's.

Fair assessment. If we were Geelong, he wouldn't be getting a game. He only just recovered from his leg to play 3 VFL games to finish the year last season, he has a lot of work to do to get back to his best and build his fitness to AFL level.

Because he is underdone or because they are so good?

Bulldog4life
19-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Just watching the end of the GWS v Hawks game and just heard Hudson comment after a bit of play by Ward. "Gee wouldn't some teams like Ward in their side"

That one comment just made me furious, it still burns deep.

On the flip side we wouldn't have Macrae if that was the case. I think young Macrae is a great get.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 09:46 PM
One would hope that he would be high up in those categories seeing as though he is playing as a deep forward.... but he is far from the best prospect in those lists nor is using only those stats the best way to determine that he is... Give me O'Meara everyday of the week.. and twice on Sunday's.

O'Meara wasn't part of that draft.

Because he is underdone or because they are so good?

He wouldn't be best 22 yet.

Scorlibo
20-05-2013, 12:02 AM
O'Meara wasn't part of that draft.

But he would have been - he was taken in the mini draft the year before.

boydogs
20-05-2013, 12:09 AM
But he would have been - he was taken in the mini draft the year before.

I know, but I wasn't including him when I said Stringer was the best prospect in his draft.

Happy Days
20-05-2013, 02:16 AM

This seems unnecessarily sad dude